Father Anthony J. Fitzgerald, S.J., Jurisprudential Wizard Vol. 29: Christmas on the Forensic Ward A Fantasy Novel By Anthony J. Fejfar, B.A., J.D.

, Esq., Coif © Copyright 2007 by Anthony J. Fejfar The next week was the week before Christmas. The Staff in Forensic put up a Christmas tree and that made Dan feel better about things. That Sunday after Mass in the Forensic Ward Chapel, a local church group from a black Christian church brought in home cooked food for an early Christmas dinner. There was fried chicken, and baked beans, and potato salad. Dan almost felt for a minute like he was home again. On Christmas Day, a group of carolers came onto the ward and sang Christmas Carols. There was even a Santa Claus. Unbelievably each of the guys, including Dan, got a couple of Christmas presents which had been purchased and wrapped by the Ward Social Worker. When Santa came on the Ward, Dan couln’t take it anymore. He went into the restroom and cried. It was the first Christmas that he had ever had without his family. Time passed. Finally, the Judicial Order came through finding that Dan was “judicially incompetent to stand trial as a criminal defendant for Natural Law, in perpetuity,” and was to be “transferred to the Juniper State Hospital Civil side for further psychiatric treatment.” Charitably, the judge has phrased the order in such a way that it was not really clear whether or not he considered Dan to be delusional for believing in Natural Law. It

was explained to Dan by Father Fitzgerald, on the phone, that soon Dan would be considered, essentially, to have Judicial Immunity from criminal prosecution, but would still be able to teach, own property, contract, and practice law. Later that afternoon, Dan, at the request of the psychiatric guard, packet his clothes up and was escorted through the locked door, down the interior steps, and taken outside where there was a van waiting. One half hour later Dan was being taken into the ward 3G on the civil side at Juniper State Hospital. He was told that he was still being held under an involuntary commitment. Dan tried to explain that his original involuntary commitment back in Lewistown was illegal and unconstitutional, but no one seemed to listen. He was told that he would have to spend at least 3 weeks on the ward before he would be allowed to have a “ground card” to walk the grounds outside and go to the Little Market, a snack bar, convenience store. It was unclear how long Dan would be on the ward. On Dan’s second day on the Ward he was interviewed by Dr. David Wolf, a psychiatrist. Dr. Wolf explained some of the Ward rules and told Dan that he was changing his medication from Seroquel to Risperdone. Dan went back to the Day Room on the Ward and sat down and, as usual, spent his time Channeling. The risperdone seemed to make him feel like a woman, he didn’t like it at all. After 4 weeks on the Ward Dan asked for his ground card, and also asked if he could go to the patient library in the morning so that he could write online with his online publisher. Dr. Wolf said that since Dan was from Forensic and had been brought up on

criminal charges, that he, Dr. Wolf did not feel comfortable giving Dan a ground card at that point. Dr. Wolf ignored the library request. Dan had gotten a CD player in the mail

from his wife along with some of his favorite CDs, so he spent a fair amount of time listening to music. As the weather got warmer, the recreation staff took him and group of other patients on a walk around the grounds for exercise. They usually stopped at the Little Market for a soda on the way back. Dan complained to Mark, one of the psychiatric aides, that he didn’t have a ground card yet. Mark told Dan to get a work ground card and get a job in the green house a short way from the Stanlope building where Dan’s ward was, this was the fastest route to a real ground card. Dan applied for a job in the green house and also asked Dr. Wolf again for a ground card. Dr. Wolf said that he would have to check with the head of psychiatry, Dr. Fairmont. Finally, on his 4th month on the Ward, Dan got his work ground card. He worked 3 days a week in the green house for 2 hours a day at minimum wage. He spent most of his time watering plants and mixing soil. In July, Father Fitzgerald, his parents, and his

wife and daughter came to visit for Dan’s birthday. Dan’s wife seemed very ill at ease. Dan got to spend several hours a day for a couple of days in the Visitors Room with everybody, and then got to go out to eat with his parents and Father Fitzgerald, in town. After the visit was over, Dan got his ground card and was told that he was being transferred to Dickson Hall, which had an Open Ward. (to be continued).