This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
1. Epinephrine is added to local anesthetic preparations to: A. Prolong anesthetic action B. Lower blood pressure
C. Prevent arrhythmias D. Increase blood flow to injection site
2. Kristine complains of a severe sore throat after the extraction of her two wisdom teeth. Viscous lidocaine (Xylocaine) is ordered. Which of the following should be included in client teaching concerning the use of viscous lidocaine? A. Take viscous lidocaine with fluids to soothe sore throat B. Instruct client to use a humidifier while taking viscous lidocaine C. Advise client to wait 60 minutes before eating after drug application D. Encourage client to take viscous lidocaine with food to reduce GI distress 3. Which statement by Trinity indicates a need for more teaching about baclofen (Lioresal) by the nurse? A. “I’ll take my pills with my meals.” C. “I won’t have wine with dinner anymore.” B. “I’ll drive myself to work each day.” D. “I’ll use sunscreen when I go outside.” 4. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for more teaching by the nurse concerning fluoxetine (Prozac) therapy? A. “I will take this medication in the morning.” D. “I will check with my doctor before I take any other B. “I will use calamine lotion if I get a skin rash.” medications.” C. “It will take a month before I feel better.” 5. Which of the following interventions should the nurse stress to Camille, diagnosed with bipolar disorder, while on lithium therapy to control the manic phase A. Weigh self once a month D. Avoid eating cheese and bananas and drinking B. Restrict fluid intake to prevent edema wine C. Do not restrict sodium intake 6. The following can be used as antiparkinsons agent except: A. Bromocriptine (Parlodel) B. Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) C. Carbidopa – levodopa D. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
7. The nurse instills 2 drops of 0.5% solution of atropine (Isopto-Atropine) in each eye to dilate the pupils, paralyze the eye muscles, and facilitate the eye examination. Which statement by Mr. Manuel indicates that he understands the instructions given following instillation of atropine? A. “My son will drive me home after the exam.” C. “I plan to go to the beach after this appointment.” B. “If my eyes itch it’s OK to rub them.” D. “I will mow the lawn as soon as I get home.” 8. All of the following are cholinergics except: A. Edrophonium HCl (Tensilon) B. Bethanecol (Urecholine)
C. Biperiden (Akineton) D. Pilocarpine HCl
9. All of the following are effects of parasympathomimetics except: A. Miosis C. Bronchoconstriction B. Increased heart rate D. urinary bladder contraction 10. All of the following are adrenergics except: A. Terbutaline sulfate (Bricanyl) B. Propranolol (Inderal)
C. Albuterol (Ventolin) D. Dopamine (Intropin)
11. Administering a beta blocker to a patient who is also receiving a calcium channel blocker may result to: A. Hypertension and bradycardia C. Hypotension and bradycardia B. Tachycardia and hypertension D. Tachycardia and hypotension 12. The physician decides to order nitroglycerin transdermal patches. Which instruction is important for the client? A. Remove patch when showering B. Replace the transdermal patch every 8 hours C. Do not stand near microwave ovens while in use D. Put on an extra transdermal patch if chest pain occurs
1|Pharmacology Long Quiz (2
Sem SY ‘12-‘13)
“I will dissolve the drug in liquid before taking it. “Notify your physician before taking any other medication. Mrs. “I will continue going to exercise class. “I know that cimetidine will turn my stools black. Give after a dose of activated charcoal D.Pharmacology: Long Quiz 2013 13.” D. De Leon asks the nurse the purpose of offering theophylline. “I should take these pills with a full glass of water. if made by a patient who has a prescription for sublingual nitroglycerin tablets. Excess body weight D. Jose best indicates his understanding of cimetidine therapy? A.” B. Room deodorizer 23. Hot chocolate 22. Which of the following teaching points about sucralfate should the nurse emphasize with Ms. Which statement by Mr. ginger ale B. Suction set-up B. Discontinue the drug if indigestion occurs B.” D. would indicate a correct understanding of the medication instructions? A.” C. The nurse tells Mrs. Lopez that the first effect she should expect from taking Maalox is A. “Avoid drinking alcohol in any form while on Coumadin therapy.” C. Apple juice C. Repeat dose every 15 minutes until vomiting occurs C. The nurse is teaching Mr. Increase in appetite B.” C.” B. Diarrhea 18. Lewis has been instructed that to enhance the effectiveness of ipecac syrup she should: A.” 16. Sevilla about his warfarin sodium therapy? Which statement by the nurse is incorrect? A.” D. The nurse should not administer a laxative to a client who states he has A.” C. “Use waxed dental floss while on Coumadin therapy. Take the drug 1 hour before meals or 2 hours after meals and at bedtime 21.” B. Milk 2|Pharmacology Long Quiz (2 n d Sem SY ‘12-‘13) .” B. A glass of water C. Constipation may occur with long-term use D. The nurse’s best response is: A. Which of these statements. “I will stop smoking.” C. “I will take the drug with meals.” D. “I should chew the pill for a faster effect. take 2 tablets the next day.” B.” 14. Lozada indicates a need for more teaching about cholestyramine by the nurse? A. Follow dose with water 20. Constipation C. “This drug decreases inflammation in the bronchi. Which of the following fluids should be avoided while the patient is taking theophylline? A.” 17. “I will stop taking cimetidine when my stomach pain is gone. Reyes to ensure success with the therapy? A. Painful defecation 19. Which statement made by Mr. Use the drug on an as-needed basis if future ulcer problems occur C. Give with milk B. Alleviation of burning pain B. “Theophylline’s antihistamine effect will counteract bronchospasm. “I will take cimetidine on an empty stomach.” 15. “I should protect these pills from light. “I will increase the fiber in my diet. “This drug will help to facilitate removal of secretions. Which of the following should be available for clients receiving Mucomyst? A. “I should wait 30 minutes before taking the second pill.” D. Tracheostomy set-up D. Decrease of gastric acid secretion D. “If you miss your daily dose of Coumadin. Nausea C. Mrs.” D. “Theophylline dilates the bronchial tree and will make breathing easier.
Mr. draw regular insulin up first D. Which of the following points should be made to Jeff regarding guaifenesin by the nurse? A.Pharmacology: Long Quiz 2013 24. Tan’s chest D. Diabetics D. After a week. Tan’s temperature B. Jeff returns to the student health center and states he feels better but his cough is interfering with his sleep. Using an intravenous filter when giving the client a concentration of mannitol of 15% or higher B. The client’s cough is interfering with eating meals B. Which statement is correct? A. The nurse is teaching a client about insulin injections. Asthmatics B. When putting regular and NPH insulin in the same syringe. Clients with peripheral vascular disease (PVD) 27. Long-acting insulins are clear in color C. Increase fluid intake to help liquefy and loosen secretions while taking guafenesin C. In which situation would the use of an antitussive be inappropriate? A. Would have more episodes of hypoglycemia with oral antidiabetic agents 30. This drug can cause blood glucose level to rise 25. The client’s cough is associated with a suppurative lung disorder C. the nurse should A. Guaifenesin has a high incidence of adverse effects B. Guaifenesin has a large alcohol content D. Tan’s pulse C. Would need so much of an oral antidiabetic agent that it would be financially prohibitive for them to take one D. Placing the bottle of mannitol in warm water to dissolve crystals appearing in the drug solution C. Tan. Assess Mrs. Take Mrs. Are allergic to oral antidiabetic agents C. Before administering levothyroxine (Synthroid) to Mr. Which nursing action is NOT appropriate while caring for a client receiving intravenous mannitol? A. Victoria tells the nurse that his brother has type I diabetes and he takes insulin. Insulin needs to be shaken well before being drawn up into the syringe B. NPH is compatible with regular and lente insulin 29. Using the drug solution if at least half of the crystals are dissolved D. Tan’s neuro status 3|Pharmacology Long Quiz (2 n d Sem SY ‘12-‘13) . Mr. The client’s cough is irritating to the respiratory tract 26. Check Mr. Have little or no endogenous insulin that can be released B. Which group of clients needs special monitoring by the nurse while receiving furosemide therapy? A. The physician now orders an antitussive for Jeff. Premature infants C. Victoria asks the nurse why his brother cannot take an oral antidiabetic agent. The nurse explains that oral antidiabetic agents are not effective in type I diabetes because people with type I diabetes A. Monitoring the intravenous flow rate to keep the urine output at 30-50 ml per hour 28. The client’s cough is the source of a complication such as a rib fracture D. Listen to Mrs.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.