You are on page 1of 5

Health and Safety Unit

LIVERPOOL JOHN MOORES UNIVERSITY HEALTH AND SAFETY COMMITTEE Minutes of a meeting held at 2pm on Wednesday 8 th February, 2012 in Pilkington Boardroom, Egerton Court. Present: Chair UCU Health and Safety Representative Health and Safety Adviser Health and Safety Coordinator, Education, Community and Leisure Mr Peter Hinton Interim Director, Corporate Services Ms Anne Hogarth Health and Safety Coordinator, Schools of Business and Law Dr Glyn Hobbs Microbiological Safety Adviser Mr John Gillin Senior Adviser, Safety and Health Services Mr Nigel Green Health and Safety Coordinator, Finance Mr Eric McEvoy Health and Safety Coordinator, Science; Technology and Environment Ms Carol Swaisland Health and Safety Coordinator, Academic Enhancement, Research and Regional Engagement Mr Ian Thorold Assistant Building Manager, Liverpool Students Union Mr Ian Webster Health and Safety Coordinator, Infrastructure Mrs Paula Quirk Secretary Ms Alison M Wild Mr Alastair Balshin Ms Lorraine Buchan Ms Cathy Gleig

In attendance: HS 01/12 NOTED:

APOLOGIES That apologies were received from Dr Nigel Wilson, Emily Bedford, Dr Andy Evans, Lisa Farrell, Sean Holdsworth, Dawn Fantin, Sharon Schofield and Moira Helbert. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING That the minutes of the last meeting, held on Wednesday 19 th October, 2011 were accepted as a true record. MATTERS ARISING NOT SHOWN ELSEWHERE ON THE AGENDA WCP3 Smoking

HS 02/12 NOTED: HS 03/12

NOTED:

That John Gillin reported that the Smoking Working Group met on 20 th December. In that meeting it was agreed that the signage, supplied by Infrastructure Services, being used at IM Marsh would be replicated at other sites where smokers congregate. Some designated smoking areas need to be moved to more user friendly areas. That the Deans of Science and Technology and Environment are in favour of the introduction of smoking shelters.

AGREED:

That additional signage similar to that used at IM Marsh will be provided by Infrastructure Services, once a budget has been identified. ACTION: Ian Webster/John Gillin

AGREED:

That the provision of smoking shelters will require further discussion at SMG. ACTION: John Gillin Special sittings

NOTED:

That John Gillin and Anne Hogarth met with Marie Ward, Head of Student Policy and Regulation. The special sittings process was explained in detail. Anne received the assurances that she sought about staff invigilating during special sittings. That John Gillin advised that the manager of the staff will be advised of the outcome of the risk assessment and any protective measures prior to agreeing to release staff for invigilation. Item closed. Approval of SCP41 Control of Water Quality, Legionella and Associated Risks

NOTED: AGREED:

That Ian Webster met with the Vice-Chancellor to obtain his agreement on the Code. That a further meeting will take place on Thursday 9th February. ACTION: Ian Webster/John Gillin Consultation process feedback and refinement

NOTED:

That a process has been implemented whereby consultation now closes in sufficient time to enable all the comments to be incorporated into the Codes of Practice that are distributed for the meetings of the Health and Safety Committee. Item closed. Building opening requests

NOTED:

That Ian Webster has e-mailed staff who are responsible for opening buildings to inform them that, in all occupied buildings, they must ensure that all fire escape routes are opened and fully accessible. Item closed. Risk factors workload allocation model

NOTED:

That John Gillin met Alastair Balchin twice since the previous meeting of the Health and Safety Committee to work together to develop a position statement on work load issues for academic staff. That John Gillin, Alastair Balchin, Moni Akinsanya (Quality and Diversity

Adviser) and Chris McMahon (UCU) are also working together to conduct a Health and Safety/Equality Impact assessment. Item closed. Health and Safety representation in the Office of the Vice-Chancellor NOTED: That Sean Holdsworth has agreed to be the Health and Safety Coordinator for Administration and HR; the Office of the Vice-Chancellor will be covered by Sean Holdsworth. Item closed. HS 04/12 DISCUSSION ITEMS Approval of SCP43 Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment NOTED: That this is a new Code, based on the requirements of the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations and their Approved Code of Practice. That section 15 of the Code provides guidance for Schools and Departments. It is essential that the Infrastructure Services Statutory Compliance Officer is kept informed of any lifting equipment brought into the University. AGREED: That the Committee approved SCP43 Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment. Item closed. Approval of SCP6 Control of Substances Hazardous to Health NOTED: That the Code has been revised to emphasise safeguards in regard to procurement, storage, use, disposal and security of chemicals. A link will be provided to the Home Office Publication Secure your Chemicals. That the Committee approved SCP6 Control of Substances Hazardous to Health. Item closed. Approval of SCP28 Pressure Systems NOTED: That this Code replaces, in its entirety, the previous version of SCP28 which primarily covered transportable gas cylinders. The previous Code will be developed into a separate Code for laboratory gases. That this Code is based on the Pressure Systems Safety Regulations, their Approved Code of Practice and Guidance. That section 17 of the Code provides guidance for Schools and Departments. It is essential that the Infrastructure Services Statutory Compliance Officer is kept informed of the installation or construction of any pressure systems. AGREED: That the Committee approved SCP28 Pressure Systems. Item closed.

AGREED:

Mechanisms to ensure sessional lecturing staff do not exceed the safety and quality limits of 18 hours per week and 550 hours per year across the University NOTED: That Alastair Balchin has concerns that there are some sessional lecturing staff working in excess of 18 hours per week and 550 hours per year. That within the Faculty of Education, Community and Leisure there are sessional staff who do not have any student contact hours. That the Chair informed the Committee that a review of the use of sessional staff contracts has been instigated at SMG and that safety and quality considerations can be taken into account within this wider review. AGREED: That the issues will be shared with Julie Lloyd, Director, Human Resources. ACTION: John Gillin HS 05/12 INFORMATION ITEMS Report from Senior Adviser, Safety and Health Services NOTED: That student placement forms, agreed with the Academic Enhancement Unit and Brokerage will be added to the Health and Safety website with a reference made within SCP23 Placement of Students for Work Experience. That positive feedback on the fire risk assessments was received from the Fire Safety Inspector. Item closed. Reports from Health and Safety Coordinators Science; Technology and Environment NOTED: That Merseyside Police Counter Terrorism Security Advisers have arranged a training programme for laboratory staff on chemical and biological agents. Eric McEvoy will e-mail the Deans of Faculties and the Health and Safety Coordinators. The training will take place in the Health and Safety Training Room, 70 Great Crosshall Street on 18th, 19th and 20th April. Item closed. Arts, Professional and Social Studies NOTED: That the fire doors on the 3rd Floor, John Foster Building did not close over. Ian Webster confirmed that Infrastructure Services will act immediately upon notification of any urgent items following fire risk assessments. Item closed. Education, Community and Leisure NOTED: That a written report was received. Item closed.

Health and Applied Social Sciences Lifts in Tithebarn Street Building NOTED: That during an evacuation the lifts in the Tithebarn Street Building failed to automatically return to the ground floor. Ian Webster confirmed that this has been rectified. Item closed. Floor plans, Tithebarn Street That Ian Webster met with Sonia Masheder, Fire Evacuation Coordinator, Tithebarn Street Building in January to discuss interpretation of the floor plans. Infrastructure Services are currently reviewing their ease of use. ACTION: Ian Webster Finance NOTED: That a written report was received. Item closed. Infrastructure NOTED: That a written report was received. Item closed. Marketing, Commercial and International NOTED: That a written report was received. Item closed. HS 06/12 ANY OTHER BUSINESS Health and Safety Coordinators for Student Experience and Planning and Information NOTED: That John Gillin will be contacting Steve Kenny, PVC, Student Experience and Mark Power, Director, Information Planning to ask them to nominate a Health and Safety Coordinator for each of their Services. ACTION: John Gillin HS 07/12 NOTED: DATE OF NEXT MEETING That the next meeting will be held on 9 th May 2012 at 2pm in Roscoe Room, Egerton Court.