You are on page 1of 5


Main Sources
Agriculture is the main activity of the province, producing vegetables (tomato, onion, etc), Fruit, coffee. Cattle farming is important followed by goats. Although not very important, fishing in the Caribbean Sea. In nearby Bani and industry is developing, especially agribusiness. There are salt production in Las Salinas.

Coffee Bani
Bani's limits in the province is the largest coffee producer in Dominican Republic and be the center of Dominican coffee industry, Movicac have facilities there. Bani harvest begins in September and runs through January. The Bani coffee is coffee with medium body and acidity with very nice malty notes. The Bani coffee is offered in the European preparation known as type A on 15 mesh, or the Supreme AA about 17 mesh and about 18 mesh Supreme AAA.

Local Industries

Industrias Banilejas, C. by A. (Induban), the main coffee roasting industry country today, was founded in 1945 by Manuel de Jesus Abreu Francisco Perello and Madina

(among others) in the region of Valdesia (Bani), moving to Santo Domingo in 1949 and establishing factories in Bani and San Cristobal, among other provinces. -

La Famosa

Peravia Indutrial S. A. was founded in 1963 by its current president Don Roberto Serrano Oms. From a successful portfolio of products under the brand regenteados THE FAMOUS, the company achieved rapidly placed in the taste of the Dominican occupying an enviable leadership position. Today it has more than 150 products, almost all of the national agribusiness, offered by a personalized sales team distributed nationwide from three major distribution centers, located in Santo Domingo, Santiago and Bani.

The Free Trade Zone Banileja

When the then President, Dr. Salvador Jorge Blanco issued Decree No. 1166 by creating the Free Trade Zone Banileja the middle of 1983, and later the September 14, 1984 participated in the ceremony to inaugurate the construction work of the industrial park by the Bani Development Foundation, Inc.,

Commercial Banks
Banco BHD Banco de Reservas de la Republica Dominicana Banco del Progreso Banco Popular Banco Len Scotiabank

Fishing in the Caribbean Sea is one of the minor aspects of the economy of Bani. It is a primitive activity in Bani that in the last 10 years has been abandoned by much of the fishermen, in Las Calderas with 40 fishermen in the 1980s, in 2012 left three fishermen, 1 of the sea and 2 of the bay.

Tourist activity focuses on the Caribbean coast, especially around the Bay of boilers, but also in Las Dunas.

The main resources in the province are limestone and materials that are extracted from the rivers. The salt that is processed in Las Salinas is of marine origin, therefore it is not a mineral.

Salinas de Puerto Hermoso

There is salt production in Las Salinas. Beautiful salt mines produced in terraces where seawater evaporates. Bani has the privilege of having Las Salinas de Puerto Hermoso, a few distance from the city, which has a rock salt quarry, a mining line for its purity is accepted by Dominican households.

Growth And Changes Through Time

The number of persons engaged in activities related to the primary sector, including agriculture, hunting, fishing and mining and quarrying in 1986 represented 10% of total employment, while the industry employed 14.6% of totalbusy. In turn, the service sector, according to the behavior characteristic of developing countries, received a large number of individuals who emigrated from the field and as unskilled workers, went to work as drivers, tricycle, street vendors and other tasks sparsely productive.

In 1981 the economically active population was of rural origin in 38.6%, the remaining 61.4% were urban dwellers. Rural employment is of characteristics that differentiate it significantly from the urban, mainly because employment in the field is responsive crop growing cycles, which in turn is greatly influenced by natural factors or market movements, not to be under control, can not guarantee to farmers and farm workers constant and efficient use of its productive capacity. Ten are the basic areas of cultivation in the area, namely, rice, beans, maize, cassava, pigeon peas, black beans, plantains, potatoes and onions. Also occurs to a lesser amount, sweet potatoes, yams, eggplant, pumpkin and tomatoes. Bani is also producer of eggs, beef and pork. The economically active population (EAP) of Bani amounts to 33,029 people, of which 25,400 are working people, or 77% of the EAP. Of the number of persons employed 3,388 are public servants, 13% of existing jobs.

Bani has great development prospects. This is for the geographic location in relation to the capital of the Republic, (and the rest of the country) with the South region as well as to their status as tourist pole still waiting for large investments to develop as such. Private sector investments point to a single economic growth of the province in the coming years.