You are on page 1of 2

Most common question in the mind of all engineering students is WHAT AFTER BTECH?

The answer to this dilemma is GATE!! But, several questions arise in the mind of a student, like how to prepare for GATE, what are the benefits of GATE with regards to his/ her career? The reason behind these questions is lack of information regarding GATE and its benefits. This bulletin is aimed towards providing all the necessary information to students who are preparing for GATE and PSUs. What is GATE? GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. It is an all India examination administered and conducted in 8 zones across India by GATE committee from IITs and IISCs on behalf of the National Coordinating Board-GATE, Department of Education, MHRD, Govt of India. It is entrance exam for admission in post graduate courses in engineering. Eligibility for GATE BTech/ BArch. Degree holders and students in final year of their programme (4 years after 10+2) BTech/ BArch. Degree holders and students in final year of their programme ( post BSc./ post Diploma) MSc in Science/ Maths/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or those who are in their final year Candidates with AMIE/ AMICE qualifications Exam Pattern for GATE GATE exam consists of ONLY objective question paper, of 3 hours duration. The exam pattern is as follows. Questions Marks No. of Total Negative questions Marks marks 1 to 25 1 mark 25 25 marks 1/3 mark 26 to 55 2 mark 30 60 marks 2/3 mark 56 to 60 1 marks 5 5 marks 1/3 mark (GA) 61 to 65 2 marks 5 10 marks 2/3 mark (GA) Total Questions:- 65 Total marks:- 100 Note: All GATE exam papers have General Aptitude (GA) portion carrying 15% of the total marks allotted. In ONLINE exams the question paper will be of multiple choice type and numerical answer type. For numerical answer type questions, candidate has to write a number as an answer. NO NEGATIVE MARKING for Numerical type questions as there are NO choices given for them. What after GATE? Admission to PG courses; ME, MTech. will start after the GATE results. Different colleges/ institutions follow different admission procedures like PI, GD or sometimes a separate entrance exam. Candidates are advised to

visit the website of concerned college. Usually 70% weightage is given to performance in GATE as per MHRD directives. The remaining 30% weightage is given to candidates academic record and/or performance in personal interview(PI). Candidates opting for general papers (XE or XL) may be further examined by the admitting institution. Most of the colleges specify GATE qualification as the mandatory requirement even for admission without MHRD scholarship. The criteria for admission with MHRD scholarship are different for different institutions. Only those candidates, who have secured marks equal to or more than the qualifying marks are eligible for MHRD scholarship. For now, the MHRD scholarship is INR 8,000 per month. The GATE score is valid for two years. The GATE results are made available to interested organizations, educational, R&D labs, PSUs etc in India and abroad based on written request by the concerned organization. GATE for PSUs GATE exam has become more important to candidates who want to secure a career in PSUs. The focus for a candidate wishing to join a PSU via GATE is to score high in the exam. After scoring sufficiently high in GATE, a candidate will have to appear in Interview, GD, Case Study, Pyschometric test or Group task. The final selection will depend upon GATE marks and performance in these tests.