This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Running head: PROJECT SIX
Jay Davis Tuskegee University Social Work 300
Project six 2
This project was based on a survey research report. What was done was, that I made a survey about spankings and form of punishments. The Tuskegee students gave their opinions based on their past experiences and spankings that they’ve experienced from either a parent or a guardian. The survey had a total of 11 questions which 3 of those 11 questions referred back to their backgrounds. I sent the questionnaire to 25 people online and received 22 back in return. I also walked around campus and got 25 more surveys completed. Most people’s opinion about spanking and their past experiences was very similar. There was a small amount of people whose answers to the questions were very different from everyone else’s. The problem I planned to investigate in this project was the Tuskegee University students’ opinion about spanking and punishing others. The attributes I wanted to measure with this survey are the differences and similarities between the opinions and views on spanking according to age, gender, and the respondents region they live in. In my survey I measured the respondents age, sex, region of country the respondent is from, their opinion on discipline and spanking children, their past punishment experiences, the type of punishment they got when growing up, if they agreed with the punishment or not, whether they felt loved or unloved or not, whether they felt that it was just or right to hit others, what they were spanked with, and lastly the respondents were axed whether or not they plan to discipline (physically, mentally, etc) their children. What I expected to find by assessing the attributes of my respondents is both similarities and differences. The similarities I expected to find was similar opinions on spanking and
Project six 3
discipline according to age. Usually when people are in the same age range, they experience a lot of the same stuff in life and that could be because of puberty for the males and especially females. I also think that one’s environment has a lot to do with the way they’re treated and the way they act. I also felt like there would be a difference in the way the males and females are treated, disciplines, and spanked. It’s kind of like a double standard. Males are spanked and beaten worse than females and I think that females are more so put on punishment and are talked to more than males.
The three graphs below were some of the questions in my survey and the respondents answer to them. One of the questions in the survey was: did your parents spank you as a means of discipline? Of the 25 students who took the survey on paper, 20 (80%) of the respondents answered yes to this question and the remaining 5 (20%) of the respondents answered no to the question. The next question asked on the survey was: what type of punishment or discipline did your parent/guardian use when you were growing up. Of the 25 respondents, 3 (14%) answer to the question was “open palm”, 0 (0%) of the respondents were put in time-out. One of the respondents said they weren’t really disciplined (5%). 11 of the respondents (50%) said they were beat (answered beating) as a type or form of punishment. Three of the respondents (14%) said they had their privileges taken away from them. one (5%) of the respondents said they were yelled at and the remaining three (14%) of the respondents said they received another form of punishment, “other”. Lastly the third question asked was: when you were punished, did it make
Project six 4
you feel that your parent/guardian didn’t love you”? Zero (0%) of the respondents replied yes to this question. Twelve (55%) of the respondents answered no to this question and 10 (45%) of the respondents answered sometimes.
T able 1 Did your parents spank you as a means of discipline? R’s Response
Response Y es No T otals (N) 20 5 25 25 80% 20% 100% 25
Project six 5
T able 2 What type of punishment or discipline did your parent/guardian use when you were growing up? R’s Response Type of punishment Open palm Time-out Wasn’t really disciplined Beating T away privileges ake Yelling Other 3 0 1 11 3 1 3 14% 0% 5% 50% 14% 5% 14%
T able 3 When y ou were punished did it m e y ak ou feel tha y t our parent/g uardian didn’t lov y e ou? R R ’s esponse R esponses Y es No S om etim es 0 12 10 0% 55% 45%
Project six 6
This pie chart shows the number of the respondents according to their sex. 13 (62%) of the respondents were female and 8 (38%) of them were males. The pie chart also represents the respondents who did the online applications.
Project six 7
This bar graph represents the number of respondents that were from the Midwest, west, east, south, and north. As we see here, the majority of my respondents were from the west, my region. Next the second largest amounts of my respondents were from the north, then the east, then the south, and lastly the Midwest.
This pie chart here represents the number of my respondents and their age. Four of my respondents were between 17 and 18 years old. Four more of the respondents were between 19 and 20 years old. And lastly 14 of the respondents were 21 years old and over.
Project six 8
The pie chart represents the respondents answer to the question in the survey: Do you think that it is ok to spank children as a means of discipline? Seven of the respondents answered no to this question and 15 of the respondents answered yes to this question.
This pie chart represents the responses that I got to the question: Did your parents spank you as a means of discipline? Two of the respondents responded no to this question and 20 answered yes to the question.
Project six 9
The bar graph here shows the answers that respondents said. The question was: What type of punishment/discipline did your parents use when u was growing up? Most of the replies people said they received beatings, next the open palm, and tie to tie they said taking away privileges and other and lastly the least amount was yelling.
This pie chart shows the Reponses to the question: Do you agree with forms of discipline/punishment you parent/guardian used? Three of the respondents answered no to the question and eight answered somewhat and the remaining 11 answered yes to the question.
Project six 10
This pie chart represents the answers the respondents gave to the question: when you were punished, did it make you feel that your parent/guardian didn’t love you? One of the respondents answered sometimes to the question and zero answered yes and 12 answered no.
Project six 11
This pie chart here shows the answers that the respondents gave in regards to the question: As a child, do you think spanking made you feel that it was alright to hit others? Five of the respondents answered somewhat to this question, three answered yes and 14 answered no.
This pie chart shows the results to the question: What were you spanked with? Zero of the respondents answer was a hair brush, two of the respondents answered and said they were hit with a open hand, eight said other, and 11 said a belt.
Project six 12
This pie chart shows the results to the question: Will you spank you children as a means of discipline? Of the respondents, four answered no, six answered not sure, and twelve answered yes to this question.
Project six 13
This project was very difficult to me; overall it was both fun and interesting at the same time. I found some things very ironic about the results of the survey. For the question that asked if the respondent felt unloved by their parent, 0% answered yes to the question and 55% answered no, leaving the remaining 45% left with saying sometimes. I thought most of the respondents would have answered yes to this question however due to the amount of the same respondents saying that they were beaten as a form of punishment or discipline. I also feel as if the males and females were disciplined differently. More males were beaten as oppose to the females. Not to be wrong some females were beaten to but the majority was the males. I’m not sure maybe because guys have a tendency to be hard-headed and difficult some times.
Project six 14
Project six 15
Project six 16
Project six 17
Project six 18
Project six 19
Project six 20
Project six 21
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.