Bank clerk's Exam
Directions (Q. 1-20): Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions that follow: Acting with unusual speed, the European Union has come up with an unprecedented $750-billion rescue package to combat the fast-spreading debt crisis that has engulfed Europe. Another $321 billion is to be provided by the International Monetary Fund. On the day the package was announced, financial markets across the world bounced back, sharply reversing the steep declines of the previous three days. In India, the benchmark stock indices staged one of the biggest one-day rallies seen over the previous year. Since then, the stock markets have moderated, as it came to be felt that this huge package will only provide a breather and not address the basic causes that brought about the crisis in the first place. The urgent task is to check the rapid spread of contagion. The crisis that had its origins in Greece's fiscal problems has spread to the rest of Europe, although only three other countries—Portugal, Spain and Ireland, all with high levels of public indebtedness— are seen to be particularly vulnerable. The fears that the troubles in Europe would morph into another global crisis seem exaggerated. However, in the United States and many other developed countries, the European crisis might choke the already feeble recovery. There are some similarities between the latest crisis and the previous one. Both had their origins in what were unlikely sources. The US sub-prime housing market was hardly a familiar name even to bankers in many developing countries. Greece, with just2.5 percent ofthe euro zone's GDP, was least expected to threaten the euro and the monetary union or export its problems to many parts of the world. As in the previous crisis, the globalisation of financial markets has meant Greece's domestic problems rattling markets across the world. Private capital has stopped flowing into countries with strained finances. The euro has sunk to a 14-month low and the bond markets, reflecting the uncertainty, are quoting at increased spreads. Financial markets and governments will be looking for positive cues in the wake ofthe massive package. It is not clear in what shape the euro and the monetary union will emerge after the crisis. Euro-sceptics are having a field day, pointing out, among others, the relative inflexibility ofthe euro mechanism to tackle a crisis such as the one in Greece. In India, the crisis in Europe has, apart from having its impact on stock prices, raised question marks on the private sector's overseas borrowing. And once again, the crisis has shown the fickle nature of foreign portfolio money managers. 1. Which of the following statements is/are true in the context of the passage? A. The rescue passage had a direct bearing on the financial markets. B. The Greek crisis could not remain confined to its domestic market alone. C Portugal, Spain and Ireland are more vulnerable to the debt crisis. Choose the correct option. l)OnlyC 2) Only A 3) Only B 4) Only A and C 5) All the above Greek crisis is basically a . 1) monetary crisis 2) general economic crisis 3) trust deficit 4) political crisis 5) debt crisis G l o b a l i s a t i o n of financial m a r k e t s has its own contradiction in terms of . 1) affecting private capital flow 2) affecting bond market 3) affecting the credibility of euro 4) All the above 5) None of these The author has suggested that an urgent task is to contain the speed of contagion. What does it mean? 1) The debt crisis has to be stopped from spreading to other countries. 2) There is an urgent need of reforming the entire financial market. 3) India should be wary of this 4) The European Union should seek cooperation from other economic blocs. 5) None of these What impact does Greek debt crisis have on India? 1) India should stop borrowing from multilateral institutions. 2) India should withdraw from the WTO. » 3) Private sector's overseas borrowings are not safe. 4) India will experience a similar crisis soon 5) None of these What amount of GDP does Greece have as a percentage of euro zone GDP? 1)3.5 2)4.6 3)2.5 4)5.0 5)6.3 Greek debt crisis would have bad impact on the economies of the developed countries in terms of 1) worsening their balance of payment 2) their efforts to recover from global financial crisis 3) rasing the rate of unemployment 4) spawning inflationary tendencies 5) All the above According to the author, there are some similarities between the Greek debt crisis and the earlier financial crisis. Which of the followings is one of these?
The football team was once by injuries: of 11 members. Which of the following will better explain the meaning of the phrase 'reversing the steep declines of as used in the passage? 1) effecting a change 2) worsened 3) sidetracked 4) demoralised 5) containing the negative trend 11. Which of the following will be the opposite of the word 'unprecedented'? 1) happening after 2) happening before 3) precarious 4) predicament 5) presage Directions (Q. 1) benevolent 2) skilled 3) verbose 4) lucid 5) munificence 30. referendum 4) wittily. 1) clandestinely. Vinay is much too in his writings: he writes a paragraph when a sentence should suffice. 2) Both have their origin in Europe. What does 'in the wake of indicate? 1) aftermath 2) post facto 3) following 4) thereafter 5) All the above 18. What is the meaning of 'breather' as used in the passage? 1) regret 2) connotation 3) mutation temporary 4) assistance 5) relief 13. temper 4) feast. Which of the following will be the THIRD sentence of the passage? 1)A 2)B 3)C 4)D 5)E 23. What will be the opposite of the word 'exaggerated' as used in the passage? 1) unfounded 2) appreciated 3) sedated 4) quiescent 5) deflated 16. quiet 3) tranquil. 1) gift. with everything happening all at once—a kind of topsy-turvy land! E Imagine what it would be like not to have to tumble out of bed to the shrill buzz of the morning alarm and to hurry to catch the school bus! 21. Which word will be the opposite of the word 'sceptics' as used in the passage? 1) assistant 2) critic 3) protagonist 4) cynicism 5) charlatan 17. 3) Both have their origin in the Asian-European zone. Which of the following is opposite of the phrase 'feeble recovery'? 1) robust recovery 2) bold recovery 3) sudden recovery 3) strained recovery 5) late recovery 14.1) Both were the handiwork of speculators. 21-25): In t h e following passage. 1) swift 2) ponderous 3) superficial 4) boisterous 5) fact 31. Which of the following is the opposite of the word 'vulnerable'. D. 5) Both have their origins in unlikely sources 9. or even practical for that matter. Which of the following will be the FOURTH sentence of the passage? 1)A 2)B 3)C 4)D 5)E Directions (Q. 26-35): Fill in the blanks with appropriate words out of the given options. sentences have been jumbled. For a world without time would probably be a totally chaotic place to live in. as used in the passage? 1) supporting 2) criticising 3) effecting 4) sustaining 5) affecting 15. The report was since the information on which it was based was erroneous. Recovery package to help Greece tide overthe debt crisis will engender the hopes of . ban 5) deservedly. 26. What is meant by 'engulfed' as used in the passage? 1) affected 2) declined 3) destroyed 4) devoured 5) developed 12. circulation 5) travail. What does 'rattling' mean. With one motion. What does the phrase 'morph into' suggest? 1) slip away 2) push into 3) change into 4) recover 5) validate 20. Rakesh disarmed his assailant.
. only five were fit to play. B. revolt 2) wickedly. distribution 2) silence. 4) Both have had crippling effect on the Indian economy. Which of the following will be the SECOND sentence of the passage? 1)A 2)E 3)C 4)B 5)D 25. peace 27. Which of the following will be the LAST sentence of the passage? 1)A 2)B 3)C 4)D 5)E 24. as used in the passage? 1) prone 2) yielding to 3) given to 4) remains unaffected 5) None of these 19. 1) financial markets 2) governments 3) public 4 ) B o t h ( l ) a i R l ( 2 ) 5) None of these 10. There was a all about the palace.
A. but it was brilliantly presented. 1) decimated 2) isolated 3) boycotted 4) heckled 5) muscled 28. The conspirators met in order to plot a(n) against the oppressive governance of Julius Caesar. result 29.
Could you think of a world without time? It all sounds too good to be true. Which of the following is the FIRST sentence of the passage? 1)E 2)P 3)D 4)C 5)A 22. Choose the correct o r d e r of the sentences so that a logical construction of the passage can be possible. does it not? C To be able to play on endlessly without being told that it was time to go home. and the concerned the security guards. invocation 3) craftily.
1 ) intriguing 2) derivative 3) private 4) rudimentary 5) ruthless Directions (Q./ No error
42. / No error Directions ( Q . Using it wisely / leisure / promotes /health. your answer will be "No correction required". dismantled 4) vanished. 36. Of all the persons /1 have ever met / Sravan is / the most
. The room in this apartment has not been used for a long time. 1) doleful 2) nonchalant 3) convincing 4) ord inary 5) common 33. enticing 3) transferred. 1) fell out of 2) fell from 3) fell away 4) fell upon 5) No correction required 48. If some Indians look at /where they are going / it can be seen / that our goal is money / No error 43. 1) oddities and ends 2) odds and ends 3) ends and odds 4) ends and oddities 5) No correction required 49. beautiful 5) rescued. 1 ) relocated. 46-50): Substitute the underlined phrases by the one which you think most appropriate. The state-of-the-art technology has come as a boon for India./ No error./
1) 2) 3) 4)
remarkable person / No errors
4) 1) 4) 1) 4) 5) 2) 2) 5) 3) 5) 3)
44. 46. Aryan the small boy acted in a manner. if there is no error in any of the parts. I fell off the ladder. The curriculum was too narrow and too rigid. The announcement finally laid all the speculation about their future on rest.1) intelligent 2) wonderful 3) worthless 4) verbose 5) verbatim 32. 1 ) The state technology 2) The state and art technology 3) The state engineering 4) The art and state technology 5) No correction required 47. The moral of the entire story / is / How money/ does not
1) 2) ~ 5) 1) 4) 1) 3) 5) 2) 2) 3) 3)
make you happy. She spent the day sorting through a box full of odd and end. Even since the sting operation / there has been much opposition / from they who maintain / that it was an unauthorised act / No error
4) 5) 1)
40. As several shops have across the street. the old directory is . If there is not need of substitution./ No error. 39. 36-45): In the following sentences. 1 ) to be narrow and rigid 2) too narrow to be rigid 3) too rigid to be narrow 4) too rigid but too narrow 5) No correction required
37. Crossing the street /a bus almost / crushed us / to death. Pretending not to notice the toys in the shop. there may be error in one of the underlined parts numbered 1. revamped 34.3 and 4.2. The child is neither encouraged to be critical / or to be examined / on all the aspects / of its opinion / No error
2) 1) 3) 2) 5) 1) 4) 1) 2) 2) 5) 3) 3) 4) 3) 5)
41. Stolen the money/ the student feigned / as if / nothing had happened. Who depend on skilful / suggestions / sledom / use arguments. your answer will be 5.
38. 1 ) derelict 2) contractual 3 ) bereaved 4) crowded 5) nostalgic 35. efficiency and happiness./ No error 45. 1 ) laid to rest 2) laid upon rest 3) laid down the rest 4) laid for rest 5) no correction required 50. I am not to eager / to go to this movie /because / it did not get good reviews. obsolete 2) reversed. Salman the superstar felt that certain incidents in his life were too to be divulged. However.long life.
Ajay joined with Rs 48000. what is the larger number? 1)75 2)150 3)200 4)250 5)275 78.a. When did ' B ' join if the profits at the end of a two year term is divided in the ratio 3 :2? 1) After 9 months 2) After 2 months 3) After 4 months 4) After 8 months 5) After 6 months 79. what is the present age of ' B ' ? l ) 1 8 y r s 2 ) 2 4 y r s 3)30yrs 4)36yrs 5)60yrs 81.? l)Rs5653 2)Rs5853 3)Rs5252
. The difference between a two-digit number and the number obtained by interchanging the digits is 36. What will be the compound interest on an amount of Rs 46875 for a period of 3 years at 4% p. 5 y r s 3 ) 1 3 y r s 4)13. If the sum of these two numbers is 400. In what ratio should the profit they earned be distributed at the end of year? 1)8:5 2)8:3 3)4:1 4)5:3 5)3:2 83. The average age of 20 boys in a class is 12 years and that of 10 girls of the class is 15 years. How much amount did he spend on rent? l)Rs2526 2)Rs3836 3)3560 4)Rs3560 5)Rs3536 84. investing Rs 64000. 2 5 % of the remaining amount was spent on furniture and the remaining Rs 5100 was saved aside for investments. Six months later. Two numbers are in the ratio of 5 : 3.1)1850 2)41 3)1399 4)40 5) None of these 76. What is the difference of the two digits of the number? 1)1 2)2 3)3 4)4 5)5 77. 9% on medical bills. How much amount did he invest? l)Rs 11250 2) Rs 12000 3) Rs 12500 4) Rs 12800 5) Rs 13200 82. He got an amount of Rs 14500 at the end of two years.a.5yrs 5)14yrs 80. Amar started a business. Rahul spent 2 6 % on rent. If the difference between a number and its two-fifths is 45. 'A' began a business with Rs 5000 and was joined afterwards by ' B ' with Rs 4000. What is the average age of all 30 students of the class? 1) 11 yrs 2 ) 1 2 . what is the number? 1)78 2)75 3)70 4)80 5)85 85. and 15%on school fee. Raj invested an amount for two years at a simple interest rate of 8% p. If the ratio of the present age of 'A to that of ' B ' is 5 :6 and six years earlier the ratio of their ages was 4 : 5 .
which will be the last in the series?
93. How many meaningful English words can be made with the letters OELV. and 'ra da pa' means 'I am honest'.4 lakh tonnes 4) 97.a. The labelled price of a product is Rs 620. If 4 students drop out. 'sa la j a ' means 'Shyam is dishonest'. Mohan and Raj started a business in partnership. how much additional amount does each student have to pay? l)Rs2. Among 4 8 students each contributes Rs 3 8 to the amount to buy new books for a library.16 3)Rs412.12 lakh tonnes 3) 94. What is the cost of 8 TVs and 16 DVDs? l)Rs210000 2)Rs225000 3)Rs 124000 4) Rs 240000 5) None of these
and their total salary is Rs 38000.long platform in 14 seconds. How is HEART written in that code? 1)27645 2)27654 3)26745 4)26754 5) None of these 104.4)Rs5356 5) None of these 86. A-129-m-long train crosses a 39-m. which is 16% of their total investment. Which is the one that does not belong to that group? 1)13 2)26 3)39 4)52 5)66 103. A hotel canteen requires 118 kg of rice for a week/How many kg of rice will it require for 77 days? 1) 1298kg 2) 1294kg 3) 1428kg 4) 1290 kg 5) 1268 kg 99.16 2)Rs423. how much amount do 13 persons get together? l)Rs21875 2) Rs 23725 3) Rs 22950 4) Rs 24350 5) None of these 100. The difference between 54% of a number and 36% of the same number is 216.2 3)Rs3.a. for 2 years is Rs 18. How many such pairs of letters are there in the word MANAGER each of which has as many letters between them in the word as in the English alphabet? 1) None 2) One 3) Two 4) Three 5) More than three 102. 'EG' is related to 'GI' and ' M O ' is related to ' O Q ' in the same way as ' F H ' is related to 1)JM 2)HJ 3)JH 4)KI 5) None of these 106. Four of the following five are alike in a certain way and so form a group.25 2)Rs3. How much did Mohan invest? l)Rs 50000 2) Rs 40000 3) Rs 60000 4) Rs 65000 5) None of these 89. investing in the ratio of 5 : 2 : 3.2kmh-' 3)44. What is the interest received on a principal of Rs 650 for 3 years if the interest received on Re 1 after 5 years at the same rate of SI is Re 0. If an amount ofRs 41975 is distributed equally amongst 23 persons.50? l)Rsl92 2)Rsl95 3)Rsl65 4)Rsl72 5) None of these 94. If the difference between the simple interest and the compound interest earned on a sum of money at the rate of 4% p. 'A' and ' B ' contested an election. In a certain code language 'tis sa ra' mean 'Ram is honest'.5 5) None of these
l)Rs439. At the end of the year they earned a profit of Rs 48000. If the production of a factory grows at 6% p. Amar. The cost of 3 TVs and 6 DVDs is Rs 90000.11 5) None of these 96. If the following fractions' are
Test of Reasoning
101. what was the total number of votes? 1)750 2)820 3)700 4)580 5)680 95. If it is sold at 15% discount and the dealers earn a 2 0 % profit. what is the principal? l)Rs 11250 2)Rs 12150 3) Rs 10250 4) Rs 18250 5) None of these 87.16 4)Rs436.5 knur 4)45 kmh' 5) None of these 88. How many such digits are there in the number 58674139 each of which is as far away from the beginning of the number as when the digits within the number are rearranged in ascending number? 1) None 2) One 3) Two 4) Three 5) More than three 107. what is the cost price?
. what will be its production for the year 2007 if its production in 2005 was 82 lakh tonnes? 1) 92. In a certain code SHORT is written as 12345 and TEAR is written as 5674. What approximate value should come in the place of Question mark (?) in the eiven eauation? 1)15398 2)16498 3)15192 4)14369 5)15460 97. using each letter only once in each word? 1) None 2) One 3) Two 4) Three 5) More than three 105.45 4)Rs4. Which of the following means 'Ram' in that code language?
arranged in descending order. What is 6 9 % of the number? 1)621 2)828 3)720 4)863 5)858 98.15 lakh tonnes 5) None of these 92. If 'A' got 420 votes. what is Amarjeet's salary? l)Rs 28000 2) Rs 30000 3) Rs 31000 4) Rs 32000 5) None of these 91. which is 60% of the total votes..135 lakh tonnes 2) 93. What is its speed? 1)41 kmlr' 2)43.
Conclusions: I. Statements: All books are copies. 2). In each of the following questions assuming the given statements to be true. II. 111. How many such numbers are there in the above arrangement each of which is immediately preceded by a symbol and also immediately followed by a consonant? 1)None 2) One 3)Two 4) Three 5) More than three. IγG Directions (Q. 123. Conclusion: I. All pens are pencils. Which of the following is the middle digit of the highest among the following five numbers? 254 319 963 842 697 1)5 2)1 3)6 4)4 5)9 110. Give answer 3) If either conclusion I or conclusion II is true. 116-120): In each question below are given three statements followed by two conclusions numbered I and II. Statements: All coins are paise. Which of the following is the sixth to the left of the eighth from the right end of the above arrangement? 1) ⋆ 2)6 3 ) W 4)U 5) None of these 125. Give answer 5) If both conclusion I and II are true. Some elephants are foxes. Some lecturers are readers. Some elephants are dogs.Nδ L Conclusions: I. CβD Bδ C. If none of the letter combinations correctly represents the group of digits/
. What should come next in the following number series? 987654398765498765987698 1)7 2)6 3)5 4)4 5) N one of these 109. the symbols α . Some readers are students. Conclusions: I. γ . 120. II. find out which of the two conclusions I and II given below them is/are definitely true. Some copies are pens. Give answer 5) if both conclusions I and II follow.DγV Conclusions: I. II. You have to take the three given statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance with commonly known facts and then decide which of thegiven conclusions logically follows from the three statements disregarding commonly known facts. 'P α Q' means 'P is greater than Q'. Give answer 2) if only conclusion II follows.' 'P δ Q' means 'P is either smaller than or equal to Q' 'P η Q' mean 'P is either greater than or equal to Q'. Four of the following are alike in a certain way based on their positions in the above arrangement and so form a group. 117. Statements: Some dogs are foxes. Some goats are mutton. II. Some muttons are hens. E β B Sη T.
116. In a class of 45 students. Statements: I. 3) and 4). Some foxes are hens. Conclusions: I. II. Statements: Some teachers are students. Conclusions: I. II. 121-125): Study the following arrangement carefully and answer the questions given below: MF4@H2J1U6⋆W7$YP#K3© 121. Some students are lecturers. D β B Mβ N . Statements: R β S. Some lucks are future. Aran is 20th from the bottom. Dδ E 113 Statements: Vα B. Give answer 4) If neither conclusion I nor conclusion II is true. η M. Some futures are coins. All chickens are mutton. Some pencils are copies. How many students are there between them? 1)16 2)17 3)18 4)19 5) N one of these Directions (Q. 119. Dα B Conclusions: I. No paisa is luck. II. ' P β Q' means' P is neither greater than nor smaller than Q\ ' P γ Q' means ' P i s smaller than Q. Give answer 1) If only conclusion I is true. You have to find out which of the combinations correctly represents the group of digits/ symbols based on the following coding system and mark the number of that combination as the answer. Directions(Q. β . Some readers are teachers. Give answer 4) if neither conclusion I nor II follows. LγO 112. II. Statements: All hens are chickens. IγJ 115 Statements: G η H. All hens are elephants.l)tis 2)sa 3)ra 4) Cannot be determined 5) N one of these 108. 126-130): In each question below is given a group of digits/symbols followed by four combinations of letters numbered 1).δ and η are used with the following meaning as illustrated.O α M. Which of the following is the twelth to the left of the twentieth from the left end of the above arrangement? 1)1 2)7 3) J 4)U 5) None of these 122. Give answer 3) if either conclusion I or II follows. 118. II.Tδ R Hα l. Give answer 2) If only conclusion II is true. Manish is eighth from the top. Give answer 1) if only conclusion I follows. Tδ U 114.JαG Conclusions: I. Conclusions: 1. No future is a coin. U η R II. 111 -115): In the following questions. All goats are chickens. Bη D. Some pencils are books. Statements: A γ B . How many such symbols are there in the above arrangement each of which is immediately preceded by a number and also immediately followed by a consonant? 1) None 2) One 3)Two 4) Three 5) None of these Directions (Q. Which is the one that does belong to that group? 1)FM 2)H@ 3)6U 4)7$ 5)©3 124.
4 6⋆ 3 8 9 1)PNBIJT 2)XNBI JX 3)TNBIJP 4^PNRI. W A T E R 2 )x 4)t 5)v l)b 3)y 139.2⋆ # 8 3 6 1)YBEJIY 2)ABEJIN 3)NBEJIA 4)XBEJIX 5) None of these 129. You have to find out the exact code for the underlined letter in the word. who is second to the right of A.4 and 5.3. 131-135): Study the following information and answer the questions given below: A. Who is second to the right of G? 1)B 2)D 3)F 4) Data Inadequate 5) None of these 135. (ii) If the first element in the group is a digit and the last element is a symbol. the codes are to interchanged.
131. Who is third to the right of H? 1)E 2)F 3)D 4)G 5) Data Inadequate 134. C is third to the left of A and second to the right of E. B. both are to be coded as ' Y \ 126. C.$ 1896© 1)RQJTNH 2)HQJTNR 3)RQJTNR 4)YQJTNY 5) None of these 130.
. Who is on the immediate right of H? 1)D 2)G 3)A 4) Date Inadequate 5) None of these 132. ie 'None of these'. 141-145): Each of the following questions consists of unmarked figures followed by five figures marked 1. Who is on the immediate left of D? 1)C 2)H 3)F 4)E 5) Data Inadequate 133.7#$%3 5 1)GERMIU 2)UERMIG 3)GERMIG 4)XERMIX 5) None of these 128.2. In which of the following is the first person sitting in between the second and the third person? 1)BHA 2)CHB 3)EDC 4)EFG 5) None of these Directions (Q. there is a word written in small letters. C A B L E 2)c 4)b 3)d 1)2 5)1
Directions (Q. That code is denoted by 1. D is second to the right of F.symbol. G U P T A 2)u 4)c 5)t Or 3)i 138.4 or 5. L E A R N 2)o 3)h 4)d 1)11 5)q 140. M A R K S 1 )0 2)p 3)c 5)m 4)j 137.3.IP 5) None of these Directions (Q.93 1 % © 5 1)TIQMHL 2) L I Q M H T 3)LIQMHL 4)TIQMHT 5) None of these 127. 136-140): These questions are based on a code language which utilises letters in the English alphabet. D.
141. 1) 142. F. B is second to the right of C. Select a figure from the marked figures which will continue the series established by the unmarked figures. E. (iii) If both the fir⋆st and the last elements are even digits. not necessarily in the same order. as the answer. both are to be coded as ' X ' . G and H are sitting around a circle facing the centre. 136. Please note that the same letter appearing in other word(s) may be coded differently. Digit/Symbol: 7 $ 9 2 © #3 5 ⋆ 8 @ 1 6 4 % 8 Lettercode : G R T A H E I U B J F Q N P M L Conditions: (i) If the first element in the group is a symbol and the last element is a digit. The number of that code is the answer. 2) 3) 4) 5)
143. In each question. mark 5). (iv) If both the first and the last elements are odd digits.2. both are to be coded as the code for the digit. G is not an immediate neighbour ofC.
Each of the following questions consists of unmarked figures followed by five figures marked 1. 146-150).
1) 2) 3) 4) 5) Directions (Q.
.3. Select a figure from the marked figures which will replace the question mark so that a series be established by the unmarked figures.
145.2.4 and 5.