Summary/Analysis of questionnaires Question 1  If you take more food than you can eat, do you

throw the leftovers in the trash?

RESULTS
PERSON ANSWER

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

YES YES NO YES NO YES NO YES YES YES

70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0 YES NO

YES- 7/10=70% NO- 3/10=30%

*. 70% of the people interviewed said that they throw their leftovers in the trash because they are fortunate. They don‟t know the value of food and the importance of keeping the environment clean. The other 30% said they give it to their pet (dog).

Question 2  Do you use paper cups and paper plates for
cookouts or picnics?

RESULTS
PERSON ANSWER

1 2 3

4 5 6 7 8 9 10

YES YES NO NO YES YES YES YES NO YES

70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0 YES NO

YES- 7/10= 70% NO- 3/10= 3O%

*.The laziness of 70% of the people I interviewed said that after a fun day with their family they don‟t like to wash dishes, so that is the reason they buy throw-away plates and cups which makes it an easier option rather than coming home and washing dishes after a picnic when their tired. The 30% of the people, who said “NO”, said that it is cheaper to use dishes from home than to keep buying throw-away ones.

. also it looks neater. because they eat while they are working and its more easier to dispose of the wrapping when they are at work or school. The other 50% discussed that they use foil and cling plastic wrap.5/1O=50% * 50% of the people interviewed answered “NO” said that they use lunch tins and containers which they use daily because it‟s cheaper.Question 3  Do you bring/take lunch in a paper or plastic bag and throw the bag away every day? RESULTS PERSON ANSWER 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 YES NO YES NO NO NO NO YES YES YES 50 45 40 35 30 25 20 15 10 5 0 YES NO YES -5/10 =50% NO.

Question 4  Do you throw away aluminium cans or plastic bottles? RESULTS PERSON ANSWER 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NO NO YES NO NO YES NO NO YES YES 60 50 40 30 20 10 0 YES NO YES.4/10 = 40% NO. . The 40% of the who said “YES” .6/10 =60% *. said that they don‟t reuse plastic bottles as its unhygienic and they throw the cans and bottles into the bin as they don‟t have time in their schedules to drop them off at a recycling depot.60% of the people interviewed reuse their plastic bottles as water bottles or juice bottles for school.

Question 5  Do you use just one side of the writing paper? RESULTS PERSON ANSWER 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 YES YES YES YES NO YES NO YES YES YES 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0 YES NO YES -8/10 =80% NO-2/10 =20% *. The other 20% said that they understand the importance of using paper sparingly so that is why they use both sides.The results show that most of the people interviewed use one side of the writing paper. . and when I questioned them as to why they do this they response was that the first side of the paper looks more neater and some said it is because of habit that they use one side.

Question 6  If you make a mistake when writing or drawing. The other 40% that answered “NO”. do you throw your piece of paper and get a new one? RESULTS PERSON ANSWER 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 YES YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES 60 50 40 30 20 10 0 YES NO YES -6/10= 60% NO. . some even said that they use tippex to remove their mistake and continue writing.4/10 =40% *The 60% that answered “YES” said that they throw away the paper because of untidiness and the scholars said that they get marked down in assignments because of untidiness. said that they don‟t care about neatness and that they strike out their mistake on the paper their using and continue writing on the same page.

although they don‟t get as much as they have spent they are still getting money for something that they don‟t use. Some of the 60% of the people who don‟t throw their clothes away .younger siblings or friends or someone less fortunate.give the clothes they have outgrown to someone who will use it eg. Some said they sell their clothes which don‟t fit them and get money for it.Question 7  Do you throw away clothes that you outgrow? RESULTS PERSON ANSWER 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NO YES YES NO NO NO NO YES NO YES 60 50 40 30 20 10 0 YES NO YES. .4/10 =40% NO -6/10 =60% *The 40% of people that throw away their clothes are fortunate and don‟t understand the value of money or the hardships of life.

said that they are environmentally helpful and care about sustainable living as well as caring for the planet and not their own personal needs.7/10 = 70% *30% who answered „‟NO” . Some said that there are people who get paid to clean as it is there job. . responded by saying that the onus isn‟t upon them because there is paper on the floor.3/10 =30% NO.Question 8  When you see papers on the floor do you leave them there? RESULTS PERSON ANSWER 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NO NO NO NO NO YES NO YES NO YES 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0 YES NO YES. The other 70% responded “YES” .

because their electricity bill exceeds its average monthly amount. The other 40% answered “NO” . They leave it plugged into the socket because when they need it they don‟t have to look to find it because it‟s the same place all the time and thi saves time if youre a busy working person who is using your cell phone often .are the type of people who are clued into social networking sites and often doesn‟t leave their phone alone to charge because their chatting and using it most of the time.said that it is very expensive to leave.Question 9  Do you unplug your cell phone charger from the wall socket after you are done? RESULTS PERSON ANSWER 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 YES NO YES YES YES NO YES NO YES NO 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0 YES NO YES -6/10= 60% NO -4/10 =40% *The 60% that answered “YES” .

said that they prefer it to be quiet when they are texting.Question 10  Do you leave the TV/radio on whilst you are busy texting you friend? RESULTS PERSON ANSWER 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NO NO NO NO NO NO NO YES NO YES 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0 YES NO YES -2/10 =20% NO -8/10 =80% *The 80%. The other 20% that answered ―YES‖ said that they watch tv and text because they are good at multi-tasking . that answered ―NO‖. Some said that they text while they are in bed covered with a blanket with no source of noise and the people that work said that they are texting most of the time when they are driving so they don’t have the radio on to avoid accidents.

Most of us know what recycling is. Are the people in the community recycling or living environmentally friendly? Do we realise the importance of eco-friendly? The process of recycling is taken for granted. because resources are not used up so quickly . Recycling and reusing products is a cheaper way of living. however we don‟t realise how important it is. Money has become the centre of everyone‟s life. Recycling is important . It is simply a way of converting waste into a reusable product or material.I have conducted an investigation to establish and compare the reasons as to why people don‟t reuse and recycle? .Introduction What is Recycling? Recycling is a process by which new products are made from a product that has originally served its purpose. People are too busy in their lives to take time off and drop off their recyclables at the nearest recycling depot. thus they are preserved for the future generations . people have forgotten how to spend sparingly and environmentally friendly. as the people of the community don‟t understand that by living eco-friendly we are preserving our resources for the future.

. People are used to modern living which most of the time doesn‟t include being environmentally friendly. so they rather throw away all their waste even if it can be reused.Hypothesis--> People in the community don‟t recycle often because it is time consuming to go to a recycling depot as it is situation out of the area and far away.

6. thus paying less for waste disposal. 2.Conclusion The results of the survey show that people are too busy in their lives and tight schedules to make time to recycle as it is time consuming to go to a recycling depot. Recycling must be practised as a method of fund raising in schools and non-governmental organisations( NGO‟s) 5. Use buy-back centres—Sappi and Mondi. Companies must reduce the amount of waste they produce. 4. WAYS TO PROMOTE RECYCLING 1. Recyclables must be removed from landfill sites. they pay a reasonable price for recyclables. 3. Use waste as a compost-home compost(vegetable peals) . as we have forgotten how to live simple and reuse products or materials. The unemployed must go out and collect unused. The results show that technology and modern living has influenced us all. cardboard from formal businesses in the CBD.

.

Map of area .

Map showing recycling depot .

SDCEA.guide.DMA.net/reports/Durban/issues /waste/recycle.org http:/www.pamphlet SDCEA-South Durban Community Environmental Alliance. (DMAsolutions to recycling website)-.www.co.website (www.za) http:/recycling.BIBLIOGRAPHY       DSW.htm Durban metro magazine .ceroi.org DMA-Durban Metropolitan Area.

pictures . articles . statistic PAGE 23.Conclusion PAGE 24-Bibliography .CONTENTS PAGE PAGE 1-2 Introduction and hypothesis PAGE 3-7Map of area and recycling points PAGE 8-17Questionnaires PAGE 9-18 Summary and Analysis of Results PAGE 19-22 Interpretation of problem.

Miranda Naidoo Grade 12C Geography Research Project “RECYCLING” .

PRACTICALS : ACCELERATION DUE TO GRAVITY PHYSICAL SCIENCE .MIRANDA NAIDOO GRADE—12C TEST.NAME.

Name – Miranda Naidoo Grade.―Liefde en Vriende‖ .12C AFRIKAANS OPSTEL.