CENTRAL BOARD

Room 200 MVP Student Leadership Center Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights 0916 750 6661 | sanggusecgen@gmail.com

CENTRAL BOARD MEETING Date: June 21, 2013

Venue: MVP 217-218 Time: 6:30pm to 7:47pm

AGENDA (underlined = to be continued, italics = postponed/deferred): 1) Approval of 061413 Minutes 3) Arrupe at 40 2) Con-Comm/Con-Con Discussion 4) External relations ATTENDANCE (underlined = absent, italics = late/early departure, * = non-voting): Daniel Antonio S. Remo President Ryan Carl Y. Yu Vice-President Antonio Rafael N. Elicaño Secretary-General Kristine Mae B. Andujare Finance Officer Michaella Paula M. Aldea COA President OTHER ATTENDEES:
Jeric Abesamis, DEA Chair Paolo De Los Reyes, DIA Chair Michael Tobias, SOSE TF Head Danielle Gaite, SJC Audit Magistrate Lorenzo Pepito, SJC HR Magistrate Leo Abot, SJC Internals Magistrate Aldwin Segismundo, SJC Log Magistrate Guio Martinez, CRUSADA Chief Whip Nelin Armamento, CRUSADA Deputy Internals Minister Iñigo Acosta, 2 JGSOM EO Mickey Mongcal, OSG Sec Head Carlos Tabunda, OSG KM Team Joseph Bautista, OSG Log Head Mara Cepeda, The GUIDON Kim Pe Aguirre, Matanglawin Aby Esteban, Matanglawin Rhea Leorag, Matanglawin Kyla Javellana, OP Chief of Staff Shaun Wesley Que, OVP Chief of Staff Joff Bantayan Judge Calimbahin Tate Chuang Oliver Felisilda Chris Nuevo Patrick Wee

Redentor John R. Dimla* SOH Chairperson Jose Norberto V. Reyes 3 SOH Central Board Rep Pamela Anne M. Gaerlan 2 SOSE Central Board Rep Von Vincent Rene A. Cruz ARSA President

Jose Javier V. Poe IV* JGSOM Chairperson Larisse Jem H. Mondok 4 JGSOM Central Board Rep Luis Miguel D. De Jesus 3 JGSOM Central Board Rep Ray Cristofer C. Gomez 2 JGSOM Central Board Rep

CENTRAL BOARD

Room 200 MVP Student Leadership Center Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights 0916 750 6661 | sanggusecgen@gmail.com

MINUTES Approval of Agenda Motion to approve agenda by 2 SOM CB, seconded by 2 SOSE CB. Agenda approved unanimously.

Approval of 061413 Minutes Andujare: One line wherein I said that the new system does not account for easy showing of the finances. Should be “the old system is not helping us see the finances of the school; the new one is trying to help us.” Elicaño: Editing. Motion to approve minutes by VP, seconded by 3 SOH CB. Minutes approved unanimously.

Con-Comm/Con-Con Discussion Yu: We want to get your feedback initially on how we want to amend the Constitution. Plan to undertake to amend the Constitution. What sectors are we referring to here? We want to get as many sectors as possible. COA, LIONS. Political parties, and other student interest groups. We are very open to adding new sectors. We will conduct a consultation with these sectors per amendment and these results will be processed and recommended to the CB. From this point, CB will have discussions, and then vote. If the vote is a yes, by a three-fourths majority, it is passed on to ASCC (Ateneo Student Concern Center, headed by Office of the Vice President—team for receiving student concerns) for public release. We are giving the student body two to three weeks to give comments per amendment. If there are any new issues, it will go back to the CB for discussion. If there are no issues, it will be released to the plebiscite. If the CB says no, it will return to being processed by the Con-Com. Timeline is June – October for beginning up to processing results. We don’t want last-minute amendments to come in. We want to inform the student body of these amendments ASAP. For the CB processing, we are intending to begin in August and end in October, because hopefully by August we will have a more complete and representative CB. Hopefully the public consultation and bringing up of new issues will be in November – December. January, public dissemination. Not set in stone. I want to hear your opinions. Make this process better. Remo: Questions? The floor is open. Cepeda: How do you intent to receive the amendments? Yu: We’ll try to make sure students have access. Physical and online.

CENTRAL BOARD

Room 200 MVP Student Leadership Center Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights 0916 750 6661 | sanggusecgen@gmail.com

Gaerlan: What comprises the Con-com? Yu: Currently Cate Sison and Nick Lucero, picked for previous experience and expertise in Sanggu. We wanted to make sure Con-Com isn’t just a machine that gets the info to the sectors. The idea is really processed. Sec, Log and so forth. The way the membership is formed will be approved by the CB. Gomez: Plebiscite is a vote, right? If the quota is not reached, will we go back to the procedure? Yu: If we don’t reach quota or the vote is a no, the next step might be to make a study to ask students what they think, forward to the next generation. Aldea: how will you consult with the sectors? Yu: Nick is trying to establish a system to analyze the networks, students’ affiliations. To understand which particular sectors are involved. As of the moment, the final structure has yet to be determined. Abot: What are the strategies for info dissemination? Yu: We will course it through the ASCC. What we’re trying to do is find as many ways as possible to reach the student body. It’s actually the general process of info dissemination. But we’re not going to limit it to that. We want to consult through the sectors themselves. Abot: So how long will it take? Yu: Two waves—first is consultation per amendment, for public release including avenues for comments. One or two weeks per issue. Second is a general info announcement, January up till elections. Not sure how to conduct plebiscite, traditionally it’s done alongside elections, but we’re looking for more ways to ensure we reach quota. Abot: How will you determine whether you’ve reached the right level of awareness? Yu: Nick intends to analyze the sector networks, determine using that. Abot: Have you consulted with COMELEC? Constitution states that all electoral and plebiscite matters are their jurisdiction. Yu: Wanted to finalize the system first, but thank you, will do it ASAP. Aldea: Are you consulting using the Facebook page? Concern is that it’s public, not just for Ateneans. Make sure concerns are filtered. Gomez: After discussion, it will go to a CB vote, once a week. What if issues with the amendments appear after or near October? Issues can arise quickly. Yu: I understand the concern, but we can’t open this forever. We have to make sure it gets disseminated. Gomez: Suggesting a mechanism to filter issues being brought up. Yu: We can have the Con-Com filter, make sure we don’t miss out on anything. Poe: May I clarify whether or not this will extend beyond our year if we can’t reach a plebiscite by this year? Yu: The continuation is to be determined by the next generation. Transitioning is definite.

CENTRAL BOARD

Room 200 MVP Student Leadership Center Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights 0916 750 6661 | sanggusecgen@gmail.com

Armamento: How does ASCC work? Yu: The ASCC is a one-stop place for all student concerns. We’re trying to broaden its scope so it not only receives information but disseminates information. Armamento: So if students have concerns about the process, that’s where you go? Yu: One avenue. They can also approach other Sanggu officers, any avenue. Andujare: Just check your timeline with the school calendars. Because in October, we have the moratorium and we have the breaks in between. Yu: Will take into consideration. Gaite: You’re planning to launch the HOR as part of Sanggu this year. Will that be part of the constitutional revisions? Yu: I believe that’s up to the President. Remo: the goal this year is to include block and course reps in administrative procedures. Once the entire articles have been approved, we will bring it to the HOR as well for their comments and suggestions before we present it to the plebiscite. Segismundo: Idea of how amendments will be processed? Certain number of students? Yu: If 10 percent of the student body collectively agrees to push an amendment, it will go straight to the plebiscite, no need for processing. Yu: Final word: this will take a lot of time and effort. Invited these sectors because hopefully you guys can work with us. The constitution hasn’t been amended since 2005. This will only work if we work together. Arrupe at 40 Motion by FO to change presidership to VP, seconded by Sec-Gen. Motion approved unanimously. Remo: This year marks the 40th anniversary of Fr. Arupe’s famous line, “Men and Women for Others.” Celebrating co-education in Ateneo. Celebrate this fact and recall the words of Fr. Arupe. For so many years we have heard that line, but we don’t know what he really said. We’ve been asked by COA… On june 29 we will be launching an event to celebrate that fact. It is an event where we will invite student leaders. There will be three speakers. Father Jett, Darwin Yu, Ambubuyog (blind valedictorian). And so now the talk will be on the 29th, and we need suggestions to make this event more successful, but more importantly we need suggestions on how to continue our celebration of Fr. Arupe’s utterance of “Men and Women for Others.” How do you feel about the idea? Reyes: By celebration, what do you mean? Remo: They want the students to be able to understand and internalize MAWFO. Blank check. It’s up to us on how we want to celebrate it. Symposium, concert, a talk. It’s up to us. The speakers at the academic convocation, which we have every year, are at our disposal.

CENTRAL BOARD

Room 200 MVP Student Leadership Center Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights 0916 750 6661 | sanggusecgen@gmail.com

Gomez: Weird that this is only a day. Can’t it be weeklong and culminate on the 29 th? Aldea: Year-round initiative. It’s only a kick-off. Poe: Students being invited are presidents of COA orgs, Sanggu officers, because these people are empowered to align their activities for the year with the initiative. Andujare: What do we as Sanggu have in line with this? Remo: As to follow-up from us, that’s up to us. Requiring certain officers to attend so you will be more well-versed in it. Andujare: Can you please, if ever, integrate it with Tatak Sanggu? Remo: This initiative, spearheaded by SOM Chair, will integrate our efforts, hopefully maximize our resources. Tatak Sanggu is the flagship member development process of Sanggu this year, integrating skills, competences, and training from the different units. Throughout July, we will be having events in line with the convocation and Ignatian festival. Elicaño: We might want to keep our ears to the ground for other avenues where unorthodox opportunities to work with this initiative might arise. My IS thesis class was challenged to make our theses in line with MAWFO, for example. Remo: For anyone who would like to pursue a tie-up, coordinate with the special committee being formed under the SOM Chair. Remo: What is the purpose of why we are engaging in this under my administration? I feel as a student council, as co-formators, we should be able to align themselves to this vision of the university. It’s ultimately up to you whether or not you will align yourselves to this thrust, which is why I am bringing it up now so you can relay this information to your subunits. You will all be required to attend this event. We need to grab this opportunity now. External Relations Remo: We have a statement regarding the RH Law. It’s statement, not a stand. I am very much aware of this fact. Through my own personal lobbying, I have managed to secure invitations to a leadership summit to inform student leaders about this law, equip them to be able to conduct seminars about the RH Law. There are four slots. I would like to ask now if anyone is interested to represent the institution. Bearing in mind that this institution has yet to formally adopt a stand? Yu: Clarify what the event is about. Remo: This event is organized by Catholics for RH Movement. It will be held next Saturday, on the 29th, at the Bayleaf Hotel in Intramuros. It’s an overnight session. There will be no financial burdens placed on the participants. It is my hope as the president that when you return you will help us form our members and tell the institution what to do. Are there any of you who are interested? Perhaps I could ask our SecGen to take note of those interested. I will dialogue with you outside the CB meeting. One rep per School Chair present, then two more slots. <Interested: AJ, Juno, Iñigo, Ryan, Ray.>

CENTRAL BOARD

Room 200 MVP Student Leadership Center Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights 0916 750 6661 | sanggusecgen@gmail.com

Remo: We want to expose our community to different social and political issues. In line with SCAP, they want us to bring in a Youth SONA. Gather concerns, forward to the President for his national SONA. How does this body feel about this activity? Elicaño: Exactly what kind of support are they asking for? Remo: Booth to be manned by different officers. Dimla: What else besides the booth? Remo: Giving the floor to Jeric, our DEA Chair, for more information. Abesamis: They will provide the booth. We provide the venue and logistics. Remo: Ask your constituents to be more active in this process. Andujare: For the benefit of the people in the room—what is SCAP? Remo: Student Councils Alliance of the Philippines. National alliance of student councils that advocates student rights and welfare. They have several advocacies including STRAW Bill, freedom of information, youth empowerment, good governance and transparency. I intend to have more activities like this, but given that this has not been done before, want to know the pleasure of this body. Mondok: So we’ll have our reps advertise the booth? Remo: More than just advertising it, I’d like to provide more opportunities to bring the SONA in. Instructed DEA to create more events in line with this. I’d encourage CB reps to be more active, to involve the student body in more of these kinds of issues. Dimla: What logistics do they need? Abesamis: Basically in logistics, they just want people from here to man the booth. Remo: Booth is like a concerns desk. We will send letters collected there to the president. Andujare: Need you guys to finalize this ASAP. This involves money, and people coming in from an external organization. Aldea: From a project point of view, three weeks left. If you want this to be a priority, decide now. Also, it will be GA season. Think about whether it will be successful. Lastly, consult with The Assembly and other politically involved groups. Andujare: Partner with existing efforts? Remo: Commitment only firmed up this afternoon. Direct more concerns to the DEA Chairperson. I would like to know if there is any significant opposition, but as there is none, we will push through. Remo: Why this effort now? I feel that as an institution we are responding to the call of the community. It is our responsibility to make sure we are acting as a bridge outside to the outside world. Any future endeavors, make them a priority. Motion by 2 SOM CB to change presidership to Pres, seconded by 3 SOM CB. Motion approved unanimously.

CENTRAL BOARD

Room 200 MVP Student Leadership Center Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights 0916 750 6661 | sanggusecgen@gmail.com

Announcements Andujare: Launched the SSS today. Attendance at the GA was okay. Application kits available at 11:59pm on June 30. Two cycles, July and November. For those who couldn’t go, approach me. Gomez: Met with LIONS last week. They’ll try status quo for now. Getting better with coordination, will meet with Sir Rem and Sir Chris. Remo: CEA Chair to submit formal report by next week. Gaerlan: For any future advocacy efforts, OSCI is willing to help us push. Poe: SOM has our second meeting with the Alliance of Business Schools tomorrow. DLSU and UPD. If you’d like to forward suggestions, let us know. Yu: For specific school committees that everyone represents, you’re required to write a report after every meeting. Please comply ASAP. Andujare: Budget Committee has called for first meeting. Probably going to discuss continuity of what was done previously. Motion to adjourn by VP, seconded by FO. Motion passed unanimously, meeting adjourned. Prepared By:

Micah G. Mongcal Secretariat Head Office of the Secretary-General Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral ng mga Paaralang Loyola ng Ateneo de Manila

Antonio Rafael N. Elicaño Secretary-General Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral ng mga Paaralang Loyola ng Ateneo de Manila

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful