You are on page 1of 12

View showing the right side of

Saxon Street
(which was an extension added to
give access to the new housing
subdivision from Oakley Avenue),
looking towards the Daventry
Street shops. Most of Lower Wa-
terview is dominated by state
houses built in the 1940s and
1950s.
Photograph taken 2006.

The Daventry Street Shops


(below) as viewed from Saxon
Street (right side).
From the 1950s-1970s, this group
of shops (originally 4-6 shops
ranging from a butcher's shop, a
diary, a green grocer's, a station-
ery shop and a Post Office. Later
it had a hairdressing salon and
even in the 1960s a tiler's shop)
was a thriving commercial centre.
It slowly declined during the 1980s
and finally closed down in the
1990s.
Photograph taken 2006.

No. 34 Daventry Street


is a good example of a simple
1940s state house. It was sold in
1954 to its original tenants, Mr.
E.G. Carter, a former soldier and
salesman. They still reside there.
Photograph taken 2006.

No. 63 Daventry Street.


This stucco over brick single storey
dwelling is typical of the state
houses built on the Oakley Park
Estate Housing subdivision in the
1940s and 1950s. Built in 1944 for
Henry Alexander Hefferen, a
French polisher, this building is in
excellent condition. Note the round
porthole window adds variety to
this other wise standard design.
Photograph taken 2006.
Great North Road (West Side)
View of the Waterview
Straight, Great North Road,
Waterview
Near the State Highway 16 in-
terchange leading to the NW
Motorway. Note the suburb/
houses to the right and Oakley
Creek Walkway and cycle lanes
to left.
Photograph courtesy Of J.
Munk 2006

Waterview State Highway 16


Interchange
On ramps beneath Point Cheva-
lier and onto North-Western Mo-
torway (heading towards the
city). To left (just visible) is the
cycle over-bridge and the start
of the cycle lane along the mo-
torway heading towards Patiki
Road.
Photograph courtesy J. Munk
2006.

Great North Road (west side)


Looking towards the Waterview
Diary and Alford Street from
near the corner of Oakley Ave-
nue, showing the newly wid-
ened Great North Road. Photo-
graph taken mid-1990s.
Photograph courtesy A.R.
Dragicevich and family.

Intersection of Great North Road


(west side) and Herdman Street
(left side)
showing the 1940s style state
houses near the corner and next to
Waterview Primary School.
Photograph taken 2006.
v

View of the Great North


Road (west side)
Looking from Fir Street to-
wards the corner of Alverston
Street.
Photograph taken 2006.

View of Great North Road


(western side)
looking up the Waterview
hill towards Alverston
Street.
Photograph taken 2006.

Looking up Great North


Road, past Fir Street to-
wards Fairlands Avenue
(western side).
Note how the Waterview
Methodist Church dominates
the surrounding landscape at
this point and the row of tall fir
trees (after which the street
derives its name).
Photograph taken 2006.

Corner of Alford Street


(left side) and Great
North Road (west)
Showing the residence D.
Blows, customs agent
(No.1487) on corner (built
c.1938) and Jonathan
Tarver, Taxi driver (No.
1491, built 1939), obscured
by truck.
Photograph taken 2006.
Great North Road (East Side)
Corner Great North Road
and Waterview Downs
The last road to be added in
Waterview, late 1990s/ early
2000s. East side not far from
the intersection with Block-
house Bay Road.
Photograph courtesy of J.Munk
2006.

Avondale Lions Club Hall;


the former Church of Christ, lo-
cated on the small triangle of
land between the Great North
Road and Blockhouse Bay
Road, this building forms the
southern boundary between Wa-
terview and the large suburban
district of Avondale. Site of local
historical society meetings.
Photograph courtesy of J. Munk
2006.

Waterview Glades
Forms the central part of the
valley (western banks) of the
Oakley Creek Reserve, formed
from the old mental hospital
farmland, now occupied by
Unitec (buildings visible on
opposite bank).
Photograph taken 2006.

1510 Great North Road (East


side)
This collection of several storey
multi-unit apartment blocks and
large car-park forms a residential
accommodation village for stu-
dents studying at Unitec. These
blocks are a prominent & visible
landmark on the western bank of
the Oakley Creek (and its re-
serve) and above the Te
Auaunga Falls.
Photograph taken 2006.
Lower Waterview Streets
Arlington Street (off Daventry
Street)
Dominated by late 1940s-early
1950s style state houses formed
on the old Oakley Park Estate. It
is typical of most of Waterview's
streets closest to the North-
Western Motorway. Cul-du-sacs
are a common feature of state
housing developments of this
era.
Photograph taken 2006.

Hemington Street (off


Daventry), l
Like Arlington Street, it is one
of Waterview's more recently
acquired streets and as such
is also dominated by late
1940s-early 1950s style state
houses, typical of most of Wa-
terview's streets formed from
the old Oakley Park Estate.
Photograph taken 2006.

Waterbank Crescent (off


Daventry Street)
This is also dominated by
1940s/1950s state housing. Most
of the back streets in this part of
Waterview curve around on
themselves, form cul-du-sacs
and dead-ends. This is a typical
approach employed in state
housing subdivisions from the
1930s to the 1950s.
Photograph taken 2006.

Herdman Street (off Great North


Road, west side) below Oakley Ave-
nue.
View along Herdman Street from
Daventry Street, just past the entry to
the Waterview (Herdman Street en-
trance) Reserve and opposite Water-
view Primary School. This area of Wa-
terview was mainly filled with 1940s &
1950s style state houses. Many sol-
diers returning from WW2 were settled
in houses along Herdman & Daventry
Streets.
Photograph taken 2006.
Oakley Avenue
Oakley Avenue
View showing left side of
the street. Note the
houses are predominately
of 1930s-1940s vintage,
with a smattering of earlier
1920s style houses. Most
houses in this street were
originally state houses
with areas of more recent
styles, as "in-fill housing".
Photograph taken 2006.

28 Oakley Avenue (left side)


This modern block of two
home units was erected c.
1978 . It replaced the original
1920s structure that operated
as a general grocery store,
known as the "Oakley Stores
Ltd" that was originally run by
Mr. Hieatt.
Photograph courtesy of J.
Munk. 2006.

No. 31 Oakley Avenue (right


side)
Was originally a small1930s
wooden bungalow. In 1974,
Gordon Kendrick (a manager)
and his wife Shirley, extended
this building enormously - it
was lifted up and made it a two
storey dwelling ( one of the few
such dwellings of that size in
the area), as well as making
extensive additions and altera-
tions at the rear.
Photograph courtesy of J. Munk
2006.
3 & 3 A Oakley Avenue
On the right side off the
Great North Road, a two sto-
rey building of brick and con-
crete block construction was
built in the late 1970s, re-
placing a group of 1930s and
1940s state houses with
more modern style dwellings.
Photograph courtesy J. Munk
2006.
Oakley Creek & Walkway
The Te Auaunga Waterfall
This is to be found on the upper
reaches of the Oakley (Te Auaunga)
Creek. It is located below Waterview
Downs, in the vicinity of the Waterview
Lodge and below the Unitec residential
blocks on the eastern side of the Great
North Road, in the valley of the Oakley
Creek, is located one of Waterview's
most unique features, an urban water-
fall around 6 metres tall. Its Maori
name means "whirling or whirl pool
waters."
Photograph taken 2006.

Unitec Student Flats (view from be-


hind, on the western banks of the Oak-
ley Creek)
Looking along the green belt area of
the Oakley Creek Valley & across the
Waterview Glades towards the Water-
view straight and the North Western
Motorway (in the far distance).
Photograph taken 2006.

View across the Oakley Creek


showing the buildings of the
Unitec Campus
These were designed to mimic
the original mental hospital build-
ings. Viewed from on the eastern
banks of the Oakley Creek, in
the vicinity of the Te Auaunga
Falls.
Photograph taken 2006.

Start of the Oakley Creek


Walkway (Avondale end), on
the corner of Blockhouse Bay
Road and Great North Road.
Eastern side.
Photograph taken 2006.
Reserves
Herdman Street entrance to the
Waterview Reserve looking to-
wards Cowley Street.
Photograph taken 2006.

The site of the former Waterview


Tennis Club in the Waterview
Reserve.
The paved area is all the re-
mains of the tennis courts and
pavilion. The tennis club had
been operating on this site since
1954 (although it wasn't until
1960/1 that the club house/
pavilion was built) and were de-
molished c. 2000. View towards
Waterbank Crescent & Motu Ma-
nawa Reserve, near the Cowley
Strret entrance to the reserve.
Photograph taken 2006.

View of row of state houses


1940s & 1950s styles, low lying,
single storey with hipped terra-
cotta tiled roofs, either in brick or
wood, along the Great North
Road (west side between Herd-
man & Cowley Streets) as seen
from behind in the Waterview
Reserve.
Photograph taken 2006.

View of Cowley Street


Right side looking towards Great
North Road (west side) as seen
from the Waterview Reserve en-
trance. Note the variety of modern
house styles interspersed with ear-
lier state houses of the 1950s.
Photograph taken 2006.
Shops
View of the Waterview Shops
and Superette (Diary) (right)
corner of Alford Street and Great
North Road. This shop has continu-
ously been in operation (with a vari-
ety of proprietors) since the 1920s.
Today it is Waterview's only local
corner store.
Photograph courtesy of J. Munk.

View of the Waterview Shops


and Diary
taken from left side of Alford Street
looking (right) towards the intersec-
tion with the Great North Road, with
good off-street parking. The block
of three shops was added in the
mid 1950s and originally included a
grocers, butcher's shop and a phar-
macy.
Photograph taken 2006.

The Daventry Street Shops


were the only other major block of
retail shops in Waterview set in the
heart of the old Oakley Park Estate
state housing subdivision. Competi-
tion from nearby malls and larger
shopping centres nearby led to a
decline in trade. They ceased to op-
erate in the 1990s and are currently
vacant and boarded up.
Photograph taken 2006.
Upper Waterview Streets

Bottom of Fairlands Ave


Formed out of the old Cadman
Estate, near the corner of Sea-
side Avenue, note the interesting
mix of modern house styles with
earlier 1950s style brick house in
foreground.
Photograph courtesy of J. Munk
2006.

Corner of Fairlands and Seaside


Avenues
with spectacular views across the
harbour towards Heron Park, Rose-
bank Peninsula and the Waitakere
Ranges. Note the mix of housing
styles. The back streets of Water-
view are particularly sought after for
their views.
Photograph courtesy J. Munk 2006.

Heron Park
A unique green space on
the boundary between
Avondale and Waterview.
Was once designated for
railway purposes. Note the
views of the Rosebank
Peninsula (behind).
Photograph courtesy J.
Munk 2006

6 Hadfield Avenue
built c. 1948 on a state housing
subdivision formed out of the
old Cadman Estate, this sold
brick and stucco plaster duplex
is an excellent example of the
type of state houses built all
across Waterview between the
mid 1930s and the 1950s. It
has excellent views across the
harbour.
Photograph courtesy J. Munk.
Back Streets-Waterview
Concrete footbridge over
gully
at bottom of Fir Street is a
unique feature of Water-
view's back streets. View
from Saxon Street looking
towards Fir Street. The
gully once formed part of
the Eye's family Estate,
who operated a large farm
in the area from the 1920s.
Photograph taken 2006.

19 Middlesex Road
corner with Alverston
Street, this set of three
clinker brick units built c.
1973 defines the right side
of this block. It replaced the
row of 1940s state houses
and the occasional 1920s
bungalow.
Photograph courtesy J
Munk 2006.

Middlesex Road
between Alford Street and
Alverston Street, this set of
several brick units domi-
nates the right side of this
block.
Photograph courtesy J.
Munk 2006.

Saxon Street
Continuation of this street
(left side) off Alverston
Street offers vehicle access
around the gully at the bot-
tom of Fir Street (which had
previously been Norman
Street).
Photograph taken 2006.
Waterview Streets

View of lower Alverston Street


looking towards the Waitemata
harbour and the Motu Manawa
(Pollen Island) Marine Reserve.
Photograph taken 2006.

Howlett Street
off the bottom of Oakley Avenue
was formed in the 1950s as a
state housing subdivision. From
the 1930s-1950s a large radio
transmitter tower was a signifi-
cant landmark here. This street
also features a coastal reserve.
Photograph taken 2006.

View from Oakley Avenue


looking along part of Saxon
Street towards Alford Street.
Saxon Street Reserve (to left)
contains one of the area's few
adventure playgrounds and
swings for children.
Photograph taken 2006.

Tutuki Street off Fir Street (left


side)
The only street in Waterview with a
Maori name and was a state housing
subdivision dating from the mid-
1940s. This street preserves its origi-
nal character and is a good example
of planning principles of that era,
making use of cul-de-sacs and dead
end streets, reserves and pedestrian
walkways.
Photograph taken 2006.

Related Interests