You are on page 1of 12

A Selection of

Photographs,
Maps
and Diagrams
Nineteenth Century Buildings

Waterview Methodist
Church, Corner Great
North Road and Fir Street.
The central portion of this
building dates from 1883. It
was the area's first church
and the only public building
in Waterview that survives
from the 19th century. It was
known up until the 1920s as
the "Primitive Methodist
Church”.
Photograph taken 2006.

Waterview Methodist Church.


Fir Street Entrance [rear por-
tion]
Dates from 1897. It was origi-
nally the Dominion Road Meth-
odist Church. It was moved to
Waterview to become the hall
for the new church in 1925. The
present configuration of church
buildings on this site dates from
1953.
Photograph taken 2006.

53 Fir Street.
Originally the residence of the Cox Family & later of Robert Saxon Nicholls, farmer. Built
c. 1890s, it has been much altered over the years.
Photograph courtesy of J. Munk 2006
Buildings 1900s—1910s

(1 & 2) 43 Alford Street (2 views)


Built c. 1907 for John Francis Goodwin, Mental Hospital Attendant. The classical Edwardian villa
is still in the Goodwin family.
#2 Courtesy J. Munk, 2006
(3) 1574 Great North Road (East Side)
c 1900 residence of William George Tatton, fruit grower and the Tatton Family; obtained from
James Neville Newbold, settler. Is currently being renovated and restored.
(4) 1602 Great North Road (East side)
built c. 1911 for Charles Augustus Harris, mechanic (and later Tram Superintendent). Is currently
(2006) undergoing extensive renovations, with units/town house being built behind it.
70 Alford Street, [2 views].
This semi-hip roofed cottage dates from c. 1912. It was built for Rev. Henry Francis Holbrook
& Rev. John Brennan. The property on which it stands once belonged to George Arnold, set-
tler & carpenter. It was the residence (from the 1920s until his death in 1949) of Mr Hallybur-
ton Johnstone, former MP and retired farmer. This building has been much altered over the
years, note the addition of brick veneer at the front of the house, below the windows.
Photographs taken 2006.

Note that this building situated on the left side from Great North Road (No. 70) was once
called "Moana" (water), which was probably a reference to it being for many years the
last house in the street before you hit the (Waitemata) harbour's edge.
10 Alverston Street.
This small wooden cottage may date from c. 1913 when the property was sur-
veyed from T.J. Sansom. In the late 1920s it was the residence of Geoffrey Shaw,
labourer, and in the 1940s that of Ivan Borich, fish curer. The attached glass-
houses on the property have long since been removed.
Photograph courtesy of J. Munk 2006.

73 Alverston Street.
This colonial styled homestead was built c.1905-1907 in Sarawia Street (No.12),
Parnell. Note the Italianate features of the Queen Anne square bay windows that
flank either side of the porch entrance. This building was moved into the area (in
2 sections) in the 1990s. It was placed on a large vacant lot that had once
formed part of a large diary farm that stretched down to the edge of the Waite-
mata Harbour and was owned by Charles Eyes, farmer and settler from the
1920s.
Photograph taken 2006.
1920s Buildings
10 Fairlands Ave.
A fine example of an Arts &
Craft residence, executed in
Mock Tudor style, in stuccoed
plaster over brick. It is the only
example of this type of architec-
ture to be found in Waterview.
Built c.1925 for Robert Hendle
of Newton, butcher.
Photograph courtesy of J. Munk
2006

52A Alverston Street.


It is the only surviving example
of a George Troop style railway
cottage in Waterview. Built in
the 1920s, it was moved onto its
present site in Waterview c.
1959. From 1929 it was the resi-
dence of Ernest F. Sigglekow,
electrician.
Photograph Courtesy of J. Munk
2006.

1617 Great North Rd, [west


side] A rough cast stucco over
concrete bungalow typical of
1920's architecture. Built c. 1928.
Was associated for many years
with the bus depot and automo-
tive workshops established next
door on the old Cadman Estate
before it became Heron Park.
Photograph courtesy of J. Munk
2006.

7 Alford Street.
A small gable roofed wooden
cottage, built c. 1927 for Neil
Hugh, engineer. From 1928/9 it
became the long term resi-
dence, Arthur Edwin
Humphries, bootmaker (and
the Humphries family). Later it
was the residence of "Old Bill"
Long, market gardener.
Photograph taken 2006.
36 Alford Street.
This wooden bungalow,
built c.1928 was the former
residence of Ormond Gil-
bert Brightwell, builder.
Photograph taken 2006.

1610 Great North Road [east


side] near intersection with
Blockhouse Bay Road.
This wooden bungalow was
the former residence of Wil-
liam Garden Spence, labourer
c.1927.
Photograph taken 2006.

8 Oakley Avenue.
A typical 1920s style wooden
bungalow built c. 1926 as the
residence of Oliver Laurence, a
tiler, who was still living there
as late as 1960.
Photograph courtesy of J.
Munk.
1930s Buildings

1467 Great North Road


(between Alford Street and Oak-
ley Avenue)
A good example of an early state
house built c. 1939 for Maurice
Herbert Tompkins, tiler. Has
been added to over the years
and the original corrugated iron
roof and wooden window frames
replaced. Photograph taken c
late 1980s.
Courtesy of A.R. Dragicevich

1495 Great North Road


Built c. 1933 for William R. Bat-
tersby, undertaker. In the 1960s
it became the residence and sur-
gery of the area's first General
Practitioner, Dr. A.T.
Musialkowski.
Photograph taken 2006.

11 Alverston Street
Built c. 1934 for David G.L. Proc-
tor (seaman). Has been the resi-
dence of Mrs. J. A. Marris (nee
Bridges) since 1938. The prop-
erty is still in possession of the
Marris family.
Photograph taken 2006.
Public Buildings (Churches,Schools & Clubs)

Waterview Primary School


(established 1950)
This is the area's only school. It
was built as an integral part of
the state housing development
on the old Oakley Park Estate.
The main entrance is at No.19
Oakley Avenue (right side off
Great North Road). The build-
ing to the left of the main gate
(obscured by trees) is the
school's dental service unit.
Photograph taken 2006.

View of Waterview Primary


School (left side from Great
North Road) as seen from
Herdman Street.
The school site also contains
the district's combined commu-
nity/school hall as well as the
area only early childhood edu-
cation facility (i.e. the Water-
view Kindergarten Centre) and
the attached adventure play-
ground.
Photograph taken 2006.

1600A Great North Road


[east side] built on the site of a
former church hall, the present
building (of concrete block
construction with corrugated
iron roof) is set at the rear of a
long driveway off the main
road. It dates from 1956 and
was built by local voluntary
labour as the Waterview Scout
Hall. It served this function
until the last few years when it
was converted into a private
residence.
Photograph taken 2006.
Waterview Methodist Church,
Waterview's oldest public build-
ing. The new Church dates from
1910, the middle portion (which
was the original church dates
from 1883) and the rear portion
was moved here in 1925 (it
dates from 1897). The porch at
the front of the church was
added in 1963. (2 views).
Photograph taken 2006.

Waterview Methodist Church


View from corner of Great North
Road and Fir Street, looking to-
wards Avondale. This church
complex is a major visible land-
mark in the area.
Photograph Courtesy of J. Munk
2006.

5 Alford Street
The former St. Christopher's An-
glican Hall, served as the area's
second major church building.
Dating from 1961, this building
now serves as a Romanian Or-
thodox Church. Note behind the
hall is located the residence of
the minister and the curate's
house. (2 views)
Photograph taken 2006.

5 Alford Street.
This former Anglican church
hall has been converted for use
as the only Romanian Orthodox
Church in Auckland.
Photograph Courtesy of J.
Munk 2006.
Possibles
The following group of three villas can be found towards the end of Alverston Street on the
right side from the Great North Road, at least two (of which) have been moved into Water-
view at a later date. The architectural style of these residences suggest they are of Ed-
wardian origin (1900s-1910s vintage) or possibly from the 1920s (made to mimic earlier
architectural styles).

55 A Alverston Street
A classic Edwardian villa
built c. 1905; rebuilt 1949. In
1920s, was the residence of
Roger B. Thornley, builder.
Photograph taken 2006.

59 Alverston Street.
Edwardian style villa. In
1920s was the residence of
Constable George Booth and
his wife May.
Photograph taken 2006.

63 Alverston Street
A classic Edwardian Styled
villa, much renovated over
the years. Moved onto site
formerly occupied by the
Hardman family c.1932.
Known as "Hollinhurst", from
1940s was the residence of
Charles Arthur Lakin, Crane
driver.
Photograph taken 2006.
Daventry Street / Oakley Park Estate

No.1-3 Daventry Street.


A two storey -2 unit plaster over
brick state house, near intersec-
tion with Herdman Street, built c.
1944, original tenants being
(No.1) J. Hamilton, harbour board
employee and (No.3) A. Pinkey,
motor engineer.
Photograph courtesy of J. Munk
(2006).

View to the right of the Daven-


try Street shops.
Note the variety in types of hous-
ing to be found in this 1940s state
house subdivision from the single
storey brick house to the two sto-
rey duplexes -Nos 19-23. Built c.
1944, the original tenants being
No.19, John B. Campbell
(storeman), Hugh Rose Norris
(No.21); & Arthur Stanley Proffit
(furniture worker) No. 23. Photo-
graph taken 2006.

View of Daventry Street, left


from Saxon Street.
Just past the Daventry Street
shops. Note the typical features of
this state housing subdivision; the
use of existing vegetation, state
houses set back from roadside,
verges and lawns down to foot-
paths and this portion of Daventry
Street being a dead-end street.
Photograph taken 2006.

Former site of Waterview


Community Hall.
Behind the Daventry Street shops.
The old stucco over fibrolite WW2
army hut which served as Water-
view's official Community Hall was
demolished in the 1980s the mod-
ern town house units with tiled
roofs date from the 1990s.
Photograph taken 2006.