You are on page 1of 4

Chartered Engineer (UK) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 1 of 4

Chartered Engineer (UK)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the United Kingdom, a Chartered Engineer is an engineer registered with Engineering Council (the British regulatory body for engineers). Contemporary Chartered Engineers are master's degree-qualified and have gained professional competencies through training and experience. The formation process of a Chartered Engineer generally mandates a minimum of 8 years but in most cases at least 10 years are required. The title Chartered Engineer is protected by civil law and the Engineering Council regulates the practice of professional engineering in the UK. With over 180,000 registrants, it is one of the most recognizable international engineering qualifications with registrants in many countries.

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ 1 Qualifications required for registration 2 Designatory lettering 3 International equivalence 4 Bodies qualified to register Chartered Engineers 5 See also 6 References 7 External links

Qualifications required for registration
According to Engineering Council, Chartered Engineers "are characterised by their ability to develop appropriate solutions to engineering problems, using new or existing technologies, through innovation, creativity and change. They might develop and apply new technologies, promote advanced designs and design methods, introduce new and more efficient production techniques, marketing and construction concepts, pioneer new engineering services and management methods. Chartered Engineers are variously engaged in technical and commercial leadership and possess interpersonal skills." For registration, it is necessary for candidates to demonstrate that they are professionally competent through education, training and professional practice. Although many Chartered Engineers have honours degrees in engineering, science or mathematics, since 1997 it has been necessary to demonstrate further learning most commonly by completion of a four or five-year (in England and Wales) or five or six-year (in Scotland) integrated MEng degree, or by gaining an appropriate masters degree following completion of a three or four-year (in England and Wales) or four or five-year (in Scotland) honours baccalaureate degree in engineering or a cognate subject. The details of these engineering degrees are available on the Engineering Council website. Candidates are also required to demonstrate an appropriate level of professional competence to practice, through evidence gained from records of initial professional development, and by professional review followed by Interview and Technical Presentation in front of a Professional Board. The final stage of assessment is a "professional review" (interview) conducted by two Chartered Engineers and a


org/wiki/Chartered_Engineer_(UK) 7/3/2013 . Chartered Engineers are recognised in Europe as regulated professions by the Directive 2005/36.wikipedia. International equivalence The level of competence required for registration as a Chartered Engineer in the UK is comparable to many continental European countries that require master's-level education for registration as a professional engineer. the free encyclopedia Page 2 of 4 Chairperson at which the candidate's competence will be assessed. the institution through which the holder is registered as a Chartered Engineer appears immediately after CEng. Authority to register Chartered Engineers is delegated to licenced member institutions: ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ Institute of Acoustics Royal Aeronautical Society Institution of Agricultural Engineers British Computer Society Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation Institute of Cast Metals Engineers Institution of Chemical Engineers Institution of Civil Engineers Energy Institute Institution of Engineering and Technology Institution of Engineering Designers http://en.engc. with other memberships following in order of the institutions' foundation dates.[1] Overall it usually takes a minimum of 8 years but usually 10 years of university education and post graduate training to achieve the Chartered Engineer qualification. Chartered Engineers are entitled to register through the European Federation of National Engineering Associations as a European Engineer and use the pre-nominal of Eur Ing. Since the Engineering Council moved to undergraduate M-Level and postgraduate MSc qualifications required for registration. When a Chartered Engineer has more than one institution membership conferring designatory letters. decorations and university degrees but before letters denoting membership of professional engineering institutions. there have been inconsistencies in the Washington Accord agreement on the recognition of academic qualifications. through approval by the Patent Office for its registration as a Certification Mark. Designatory lettering Chartered Engineers are entitled to use the suffix CEng after names as a means of emphasising their status with the Engineering Council. Bodies qualified to register Chartered Engineers The body that maintains the UK's register of Chartered Engineers is Engineering Council. A full description of the requirements for registration appears at the Engineering Council's website ( They can also make use of a logo. which is intended primarily for use in correspondence and on business cards. This is restricted to use by Engineering Council Registrants only. This is written after Engineer (UK) .

& Minerals and Mining Institute of Measurement and Control Institution of Mechanical Engineers Royal Institution of Naval Architects British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing Institution of Nuclear Engineers Society of Operations Engineers Institute of Physics Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine Institution of Railway Signal Engineers Institution of Royal Engineers Institution of Structural Engineers Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management Institution of Water Officers The Welding Institute Some of these institutions also register Incorporated Engineers and Engineering Technicians.engc. the free encyclopedia Page 3 of 4 ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ Society of Environmental Engineers Institute of Explosive Engineers (IExpE) Institution of Fire Engineers Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers Institute of Healthcare Engineering and Estate Management Institution of Lighting Professionals Institute of Marine Engineering.Chartered Engineer (UK) . Science and Technology Institute of Materials. See also ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ Chartered Environmentalist SQEP Chartered Chemist Chartered IT Professional Chartered Physicist Chartered Scientist Master of Engineering Master of Science in Engineering References 1. Titles and Forms of Address. There are other Engineering Council UK licensed member institutions that register Incorporated Engineers and Engineering Technicians but do not register Chartered Engineers. ISBN 07136-6265-4 http://en. A. Black Staff.CEng and IEng Standard (http://www. 7/3/2013 .wikipedia. & C. (2002). ^ Engineering Council .Wikipedia.pdf) External links ■ 21st edition.

uk/) ■ SCENTA (UK) ( you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.scenta. Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Retrieved 13 July 2007 ■ Institution of Engineering and Technology. Register Sections (http://www. FEANI Registration and the EurIng Title (http://www.engc.php?title=Chartered_Engineer_(UK) &oldid=547491455" Categories: Post-nominal letters Professional associations based in the United Kingdom Professional titles and certifications ■ This page was last modified on 28 March 2013 at the free encyclopedia Page 4 of 4 ■ Engineering Council Engineer (UK) . ECUK Institution Details ( Retrieved from " additional terms may http://en. Use of designatory letters (http://www.Wikipedia.wikipedia. By using this a non-profit organization.aspx). ■ Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. Retrieved 13 July 2007 ■ Engineering Council Retrieved 13 July 2007 ■ Engineering and Technology Board (UK) (http://www.cfm).engc. Retrieved 13 July 2007 ■ Engineering Council 7/3/2013 .aspx) ■ Engineering Council UK (http://www. The Chartered Engineer Qualification (http://www. Retrieved 13 July 2007 ■ Institution of Engineering and