What is Carbon Monoxide (CO

)
Carbon Monoxide (also known as CO) is a colourless, odourless poisonous gas and is a common yet preventable cause of death from poisoning worldwide. CO poisoning is responsible for over 40 deaths per year in Ireland. Many occur at home as a result of house-fires. The incomplete combustion of organic fossil fuels such as oil, gas or coal is a common environmental source of CO and is responsible for many cases of non-fatal unintentional CO poisoning. In normal conditions the combustion process (the addition of oxygen) will result in carbon in the fossil fuel, combining with oxygen, in the air, to produce Carbon Dioxide (CO2), the same substance we exhale when we breathe. However, if there is a lack of air for the combustion process or the heating appliance is faulty, Carbon Monoxide can be produced. When CO is inhaled into the body it combines with the blood, preventing it from absorbing oxygen. If a person is exposed to CO over a period, it can cause illness and even death. Carbon Monoxide has no smell, taste or colour. This is why it is sometimes called the "Silent Killer". Carbon Monoxide alarms can be used as a backup to provide a warning to householders in the event of a dangerous build up of CO. Check that the Carbon Monoxide alarm complies with the EN 50291 standard. Remember that Carbon Monoxide alarms are no substitute for regular inspection and maintenance of appliances, vents, flues and chimneys. Causes of CO Poisoning You can be in danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning at home if dangerous amounts of Carbon Monoxide accumulate in the home. This can happen as a result of any or a combination of the following:

• • • • • • • • • •

Faulty or damaged heating appliances Heating appliance not maintained or serviced Rooms not properly ventilated Blocked chimneys or flues Indoor use of a barbecue grill or outdoor heater Poor installation of heating appliances Improper operation of heating appliances Property alterations or home improvements, which reduce ventilation Running engines such as vehicles or lawnmowers in garages Using cooking appliances for heating purposes

Symptoms of CO Poisoning Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be similar to those caused by other illnesses such as a cold or flu. They include

• • • •

Unexplained headaches, chest pains or muscular weakness Sickness, diarrhoea or stomach pains Sudden dizziness when standing up General lethargy

lead is bluish white when freshly cut but tarnishes to dull gray when exposed to air. and coliclike abdominal pains. and fusible alloys. The yellow lead chromate is still in use. heavy. pewter. lead-acid batteries. has a half life so long it can be considered stable. some lead compounds. no apparent toxic symptoms No symptoms for long periods Possible headache Frontal headache and nausea Headache. for example. Lead is used in building construction. bullets and shot. bismuth. Many older houses may still contain substantial lead in their old paint. and is part of solder. were used by candy makers. A soft. dizziness and nausea Collapse. Although this has been banned in industrialized nations. Leadwhite paint has been withdrawn from sale in industralised countries. The historical use of lead acetate (also known as sugar of lead) by the Roman Empire as a sweetener for wine is considered by some to be the cause of the dementia which affected many of the Roman Emperors. possible death Headache and dizziness Unconsciousness and possible death Headache and dizziness Unconsciousness and possible death Unconsciousness Danger of death Lead (IPA: /ˈlɛd/) is a chemical element in the periodic table that has the symbol Pb (Latin: plumbum) and atomic number 82. At one point in time. see also lead paint: it is . Lead has the highest atomic number of all stable elements although the next element. Lead is a poisonous metal that can damage nervous connections (especially in young children) and cause blood and brain disorders. toxic and malleable poor metal. Long term exposure to lead or its salts (especially soluble salts or the strong oxidant PbO2) can cause nephropathy. unconsciousness. dizziness and nausea Collapse and possible unconsciousness Headache.[9] The concern about lead's role in mental retardation in children has brought about widespread reduction in its use (lead exposure has been linked to schizophrenia). because of their sweetness.Physiological Effects of Carbon Monoxide (CO) Parts per Million 50 100 200 400 800 800 1600 1600 3200 3200 6400 6400 12800 12800 Several hours 2-3 hours 1-2 hours 45 minutes 2 hours 20 minutes 2 hours 5-10 minutes 10-15 minutes 1-2 minutes 0-15 minutes Immediate 1-3 minutes Time of Exposure Response Threshold limit. there was a 2004 scandal involving lead-laced Mexican candy being eaten by children in California. Holland Colours Holcolan Yellow.

as this generates inhalable dust. There has been an e-mail circulating about the lead content of various consumer products. Lead salts used in pottery glazes have on occasion caused poisoning. Lead is considered to be particularly harmful for women's ability to reproduce.[10] .[citation needed] Lead as a soil contaminant is a widespread issue. such as shampoo and most notably lipstick. when acid drinks. since lead may enter soil through (leaded) gasoline leaks from underground storage tanks or through a wastestream of lead paint or lead grindings from certain industrial operations. these levels are monitored by the FDA in the US and pose no real danger to health.[citation needed] It has been suggested that what was known as "Devon colic" arose from the use of lead-lined presses to extract apple juice in the manufacture of cider. since 2003. Though there are trace amounts of lead in some products.generally recommended that old paint should not be stripped by sanding. such as fruit juices. For that reason many universities do not hand out lead-containing samples to women for instructional laboratory analyses. have leached lead ions out of the glaze.