P.O. Box 40585, Portland, Oregon 97240 (503) 227-3186 • www.aclu-or.


July 31, 2013 Mary Catherine Strobel Foundation Attn: Mary Eng 6313 SE 92nd Avenue Portland, OR 97266 Dear Ms. Eng, Thank you for contacting the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon about Benjamen Pickering. As you may know, the ACLU of Oregon is a small, private, nonprofit organization funded entirely by private donations. Typically, the cases we accept are handled by lawyers in private practice who donate their time. As a result, we offer legal assistance in only a small number of cases each year. If Mr. Pickering’s attorney feels there is a civil rights violation, please have him contact us directly. Consequently, we must choose cases that most clearly invoke significant civil liberties and civil rights issues. We focus on protecting the rights of individuals to be free from excessive government intrusion and the right to receive equal protection under the law. These liberties include the rights of freedom of speech, press, and religion, the right to be treated equally and without discrimination on the basis of race or sex, and the right to be free of abusive police conduct. Among these cases, we are forced to limit our representation to "impact cases," i.e., those that present new legal issues or affect large numbers of people. We cannot assist in cases that depend on establishing facts. We are generally unable to get involved in disputes between private parties, with private employers, or private organizations. We also cannot intervene in a situation where an attorney has already been retained unless the attorney personally requests assistance, and even then, all the other criteria are still in place. Based on the above criteria, we have concluded the ACLU is unable to provide you assistance. Please be assured, however, that this does not reflect on the worthiness of your case. I have enclosed the ACLU of Oregon’s Referral and Information sheet. One of the organizations listed may be able to assist you. I regret we are unable to help you further. Sincerely,

Page 2

Kevin Díaz
Kevin Díaz Legal Director Enclosure: ACLU of Oregon Referrals and Information The ACLU is not a traditional law firm. This letter is neither a legal opinion nor a formal statement of ACLU policy. It is intended only to advise you whether your situation meets criteria for ACLU involvement.

Page 1

LEGAL REFERRALS & INFORMATION Last updated May 2009 Please contact us at P.O. Box 40585, Portland OR 97204 or (503) 227-3186 with updated information If you are looking for legal information, assistance or legal advice: OREGON STATE BAR ASSOCIATION P.O. Box 231935 Tigard, OR, 97281-1935 (503) 620-0222 or (800) 452-8260 www.oregonstatebar.org Lawyer Referral: Provides information on more than 1,600 lawyers statewide. Users can select lawyers based on their practice type, location, and special services including foreign language ability & license to practice law in other states. This program also offers users an in-office consultation for a fee of $35. Legal Information and Guides: Free, general information to the public over the phone, in the mail, and on the internet on a variety of legal topics: Tel-Law (503) 620-3000 or (800) 452-4776. Also accessible through the Oregonian’s Inside Line at (503) 225-5555, ext. 8529. Free, general legal information recorded on more than 100 legal topics. Some recordings are offered in Spanish and Vietnamese. For a list of tape selections, write: Tel-Law, P.O. Box 1689, Lake Oswego, OR 97035-0889. Legal Information Pamphlets: Free legal information pamphlets covering a variety of general legal topics. To order pamphlets call the Oregon State Bar (503) 620-0222, ext 413 (800) 4528260, ext 413. Online Guide to Popular Legal Topics: www.osbar.org/public/legallinks.html Free information on a variety of legal topics. Online Do-it-Yourself Legal Guides: www.osbar.org/public/diy/doityourself.html Guides on how to proceed pro-se in restraining order hearings, small claims court or with a summary dissolution of marriage. If you need an attorney, but can’t afford one: OREGON STATE BAR: MODEST MEANS PROGRAM (503) 684-3763 or (800) 452-7636 Offers legal assistance at a reduced rate to qualified applicants based on client income and assets, the type of case, and availability of a participating lawyer in the client’s county. Only handles landlord/tenant, family law, and criminal defense cases. Also offers users an in-office consultation for no more than $35 and no more than $60 per hour for legal work provided to clients of the program. Applications must complete a Modest Means Client Applicant Form to be considered for this program. If you do not qualify for the Oregon State Bar’s Modest Means Program, you may want to review the Bar’s online guide to low-cost legal services: www.osbar.org/public/ris/LowCostLegalHelp/intro.html

Page 2

OREGON LAW HELP WEBSITE: www.oregonlawhelp.org A searchable website that offers a wealth of information and referrals about legal services available to low-income Oregonians. Users can search by legal issue or by county. Offers additional referrals in the areas of housing, government benefits, protection from abuse, senior law, farm workers, family law, & disability. Users may access the entire site in Spanish and Vietnamese. If you wish to appeal a criminal conviction: OFFICE OF PUBLIC DEFENSE SERVICES 1320 Capitol Street NE, Suite 200 Salem, OR 97303 (503) 378-3349 Provides representation to indigent citizens on appeal in cases involving crimes ranging from Class C misdemeanors to aggravated murders for which the death penalty is imposed. Also represents citizens in appeals from certain Parole/PPS Board decisions. Does not manage appeals in post-conviction cases. If you want to complain about an attorney, judge, or police officer, contact the appropriate organization listed below: To complain about an attorney: OREGON STATE BAR ASSOCIATION: CLIENT ASSISTANCE OFFICE (503) 620-0222 or (800) 452-8260 Reviews all inquiries and complaints about lawyer conduct. Those that present credible evidence of violations of the disciplinary rules are referred to Disciplinary Counsel’s Office. If the inquiry or complaint does not involve misconduct, the Client Assistance Office may be able to provide some assistance or a referral to another resource. Bar resources include the Fee Arbitration Program, the Client Security Fund and the Professional Liability Fund. To register a complaint or to complete the Bar’s online complaint form visit: www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1174.ht m To complain about an Oregon state court judge: JUDICIAL FITNESS AND DISABILITY COMMISSION Complaints: P.O. Box 1130 Beaverton, OR 97075 (503) 626-6776; FAX: (503) 626-6787 www.ojd.state.or.us/aboutus/cjfd Investigates complaints from the public regarding judicial misconduct by Oregon state court judges. Preliminary investigation may be followed by a hearing if cause is shown. Telephone or written contact only. For more information about the complaint process or to download a complaint form online visit: www.ojd.state.or.us/aboutus/cjfd/index.htm To complain about an Oregon federal court judge or magistrate: OFFICE OF THE CLERK U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit P.O. Box 193939 San Francisco, CA 94119-3939 (415) 355-8000 Complaints must be made in writing and on the proper forms. For more information about the complaint process or to download a complaint form online visit: http://www.ce9.uscourts.gov/misconduct/judicial_misconduct.html

Page 3

To complain about the conduct of a local police officer: Contact the sheriff’s office or the police department involved. Most law enforcement agencies have a process for addressing complaints from the public. If you have a complaint against a licensed professional: Contact the appropriate Oregon licensing board. Licensing boards regulate industry standards and policies and have the power to discipline licensees. They may conduct investigations into complaints and mediate or adjudicate as appropriate. Visit: oregonone.org/ORlicbd.htm for a complete list. If you feel that you have been discriminated against because of your race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, or disability contact: OREGON BUREAU OF LABOR AND INDUSTRIES (BOLI): CIVIL RIGHTS DIVISION 800 NE Oregon St., Suite 1045 Portland 97232 Phone: (971) 673-0761 Fax: (971)673-0762 www.boli.state.or.us/BOLI/CRD/index.shtml Investigates and mediates civil rights complaints and distributes a civil rights handbook. BOLI offers discrimination protection in areas of employment, housing, public accommodations, professional and career schools on basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, mental/physical disability. Contact or visit the website for a directory of regional offices, or for more information about your civil rights in Oregon and the complaint process. DISABILITY RIGHTS OREGON 620 SW 5th Avenue, Suite #500 Portland, OR 97204-1428 (503) 243-2081 or (800) 452-1694 TTY: (503) 323-9161 or (800) 556-5351 www.disabilityrightsoregon.org Protects rights of people with disabilities, provides information on legal rights and represents people in court proceedings. Helps fight discrimination in housing, employment, and public accommodations and helps obtain free public education for children with disabilities. Information and referrals for prisoners and jail inmates and their families: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE: CIVIL RIGHTS DIVISION, SPECIAL LITIGATION SECTION 950 Pennsylvania Ave, NW Special Litigation Section, PHB Washington DC 20530 Phone: (202) 514-6255, Toll-free: (877)218-5228 Charged with enforcing the Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act (CRIPA). Has the authority to investigate conditions in prisons and other institutional facilities and file suit against state and local governments for flagrant violations of inmates’ civil rights, including the right to adequate medical care.

Page 4

OREGON CURE (CITIZENS UNITED FOR THE REHABILITATION OF ERRANTS) 1631 NE Broadway #460 Portland, OR 97232 (503) 977-9979 or (866) 357-CURE www.oregoncure.org Publishes newsletter and brochures including: Advocating for the incarcerated in Oregon, Getting Through Oregon’s Parole Process, and Free-er But Not Free. Also provides monthly support groups and orientations for family and friends of incarcerated individuals. Contact for complete list of publications. PARTNERSHIP FOR SAFETY AND JUSTICE 825 NE 20th Ave, #250 Portland, OR 97232 Phone: (503)335-8449 Fax:(503)232-1922 safetyandjustice.org Publishes comprehensive prisoner support directory and monthly and quarterly newsletters. If you have a complaint about a state agency or state law contact: CITIZENS’ REPRESENTATIVE, OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR Office of the Governor 900 Court Street NE Salem, OR 97301-4047 (503) 378-4582 or (800) 442-5238 Provides access, information and assistance for residents who have problems, questions, ideas or suggestions for state government. STATE REPRESENTATIVES To find out who your state representatives are or how to contact them visit : http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/ or write to your county elections office. If you have a complaint about a federal policy or federal law contact: FEDERAL SENATORS Senator Ron Wyden (Democrat-OR) United States Senate 223 Dirksen Senate Office Building Washington, DC 20510-0001 (202) 224-5244 http://wyden.senate.gov Senator Jeff Merkley (Democrat-OR) United States Senate B40B Senate Office Building Washington, DC 20510-0001 (202) 224-3753 http://gsmith.senate.gov/

FEDERAL REPRESENTATIVES To find out who your federal representatives are or how to contact them visit: http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/ or write to your county elections office.

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful