You are on page 1of 2

Cis, Livo and Rumo are the small villages that lie at the bottom of the Maddalene in the

municipalities of Bresimo. They retain a wealth of ecclesiastical and civil properties, witnesses of a past of faith and history. Over the centuries, various noble dynasties ruled this territory, leaving behind castles and stately homes, still the partly visible signs of their presence. The Christian faith and devotion of the local populations is clearly witnessed by churches, votive chapels and sacred murals scattered all villages, even the smallest shrines along the country roads and mountains.

hile there might not be art museums and art conservations, the people of the mountain areas and valleys confronted art in their churches, castles, mansions of the nobility and in the way side shrines.

Art of the Maddalene Mountains

castle above. It was enlarged in 1335 with the support of the lords of Altaguarda. In its interior, there is a excellent altar with panel doors. It was donated by Bernardino Thun and Bridget of Arsio. Worthy of note are the frescoes in the nave that are inspired by the "Small Passion" of the sixteenth-century German engraver Albrecht Durer and a stone tabernacle of the Gothic style.

Above the village of Bresimo at 1280 meters above sea level, there are the ruins of the castle of Altaguarda, the residence of local aristocratic families and for many years, the residence of the members of the powerful family of Thun. It was attacked and burned during the peasant in 1407. It was later rebuilt by Baldassare Thun, who lived there with his wife Philippa of Arco. At the end of 1800 it was purchased by the City of Bresimo and now it is site for visitors who want to enjoy the marvelous view of the valley below.

The population of Baselga di Bresimo is the beautiful church of Santa Maria Assunta, invoked and venerated in the past centuries by the local people during the severe drought that affected the countryside and still known as the "Madonna of the water." One hears of it from 1324 and its history is closely linked with the nobility of the


On the hill east of the village of Cish, there is the church of St. George built in its current form in 1594. Inside

there is a Via Crucis (Stations of the Cross) of the eighteenth century and a large fresco of the Crucifixion. The main altar is of the seventeenth century, while the two side altars are in neoclassical style.

Of special Interest is the statue of St. George slaying the churches full of frescoes, the churches of St. Martin in dragon, the work of Ferdinand Demetz of the Val Livo and St. Anthony Abbot in Preghena. Gardena, donated to the church in 1891 by emigrants of Cis employed as miners in Colorado. In the center of Livio, there stands the palace ALIPRANDINI Laifenthurn, home to ancient noble families of the area. It was recently restored by the Municipality of Livio. There are many historic houses are scattered in each of the villages. Surrounded by green pastures, in the heart of the Maddalene Mountains, there is the territory of the Municipality of Rumo with its seven small villages. In Interiore Courtyard, one finds the artistic jewel of the church of S. Ulrich dating back to 1300. Of great interest and fame is the spectacular fresco of the Last Supper painted on the south wall of the nave by Giovanni Battista Baschenis at the end of the fifteenth century. In 1400, there was the rebuilding of the churches of St. Paul in Marcena, In the municipality of Livo there are four churches, one San Vigilio in Lanza and San for each section of the town. The oldest and most valuLorenzo in Mione. These latter able is the church of the Nativity of Mary in Varollo, the two churches are also decorated parish church of area.. Positioned on a hill straddling the with wooden sculptures and Val di Non and Val di Sole, it was rebuilt in 1537. The frescoes of great interest. faade dominates the impressive fresco of St. Scattered throughout the Christopher and on the north side stands a beautiful logMaddalene Mountain areas, one gia called "glesiot."(little church). Inside, there is the finds very many signs of popunoteworthy trio of gilded wooden altars, the work of lar devotion, as evidenced by local carvers of 1600. There is also a pulpit of the 1700 votive chapels and sacred painted wood to simulate marble. The altarpiece of the images painted on the facades Nativity of Mary, in the center of the main altar, is the of older houses. work of the painter of Brescia Carlo Pozzi made in 1669. Written by Gianantonio Agosti, President -Several frescoes from different eras adorn the walls and Anastasia Val di Non -- Associazione delle Guide ai the patron saint of the church. There are very ancient Beni Sacri 23