You are on page 1of 3

INAUGURAL MEETING OF THE NORTHUMBRIAN WATER FORUM (NWF) 11.00 14.

.30, FRIDAY 10 FEBRUARY 2012, , PITY ME, DURHAM MEETING NOTES PRESENT: Chair: Andrea Cook For North orth East Chamber of Commerce (NECC): (N James Ramsbotham For Consumer Council for Water (CCWater): (CCWater) Barbara Leech For Drinking rinking Water Inspectorate (DWI): (DWI) Milo Purcell For Natural England (NE): : Ruth Bull For Association ssociation of North East Councils (ANEC): (ANEC) Melanie Laws For Environment nvironment Agency (EA): (EA) Sue Longstone For Northumbrian orthumbrian Water (NWL): (NWL) Heidi Mottram, Ceri Jones, Graham Neave, Ken Oswald and Jill Wisniewski. APOLOGIES: For Confederation of British Industry (CBI) North East: Sarah Green NOTES AND ACTIONS 1. Welcome & Introductions Heidi Mottram welcomed everyone to the inaugural meeting of the NWF and introduced Andrea Cook as the independent chair of the forum. All members endorsed Andrea Cooks appointment. Andrea Cook stressed that she had taken on the role of chair as an independent person and not as a representative of CCWater. She requested members to be vigilant and speak up at anytime if they felt she was not acting in an impartial manner. Andrea Cook outlined the purpose and remit of the forum. forum She requested members to discuss things honestly and openly in an a atmosphere of trust and for all members to respect confidentiality. . She stressed the need for all members of the forum orum to work together and to address all issues to ensure it is a success. All members briefly introduced introduce themselves and the organisation they represent. represent
th

2. Introduction to PR14 & the role of the Water Forums (NWL presentation & discussion) Ken Oswald swald gave a brief presentation. A discussion on forum membership and wider stakeholder engagement followed. It was agreed that the chair of the Northumbrian Corporate Responsibility Advisory Group (CRAG) should be invited to be a permanent member of the NWF. Action: NWL to invite Norma Hope from Carillion (chair of the Northumbrian CRAG) to be a member of the NWF. A discussion on whether Environmental NGOs were sufficiently covered by the proposed stakeholder arrangements took place. It was agreed that Sue Longstone and Ruth Bull nd would look to work with established networks through the 2 tier arrangements to ensure appropriate representation ntation and consultation occurs with Environmental NGOs. Action: Sue Longstone and Ruth h Bull to review existing established networks (outside outside of the forum) to see if collective consultation with Environmental NGOs is possible. A discussion on whether rural, voluntary and community sectors were sufficiently covered by the proposed stakeholder arrangements arrangem took place. It was agreed that collective liaison with groups s such as VONNE (Voluntary Organisations Network North East) E should take place as well as a bi-lateral lateral liaison with individual organisations when deemed nd necessary by the forum. Action: NWL to develop further the 2 tier stakeholder 1

engagement plans and to look for gaps in coverage and to report back to the Forum for consideration. It was agreed that the forum orum should act in an open and transparent manner and provide regular updates to Ofwat. To do this the following actions were agreed: - NWL to provide a summary of stakeholder engagement plans plans and forum membership to Ofwat; - NWL to provide minutes of forum f meetings to Ofwat t in a timely manner; and - NWL to invite Ofwat company representative (Andrew Day) to future forum meetings where appropriate. . He would be invited as an observer only.

3. Agreement of Terms of f Reference (ToR) & Communication arrangements gements (including non-disclosure) disclosure) Whilst discussing the remit of the forum it was noted that Interim determinations minations of K (IDOKs) were re an issue for the company/Ofwat company/ and not the forum. It was noted that the impact of market reform refor in the water industry ndustry would need to be factored into discussions as and when new legislation or regulation emerged. It was noted that towards the end of the PR14 process when a company may decide to refer its PR14 price determination to the Competition Commission the stance of certain forum members could be affected by their statutory duties. A review of forum interactions interaction would need to happen should this event arise. A draft ToR had been circulated to members of the forum before the meeting. Amendments were agreed and changes have been made in line with members views. Action: A revised version of the ToR will be circulated to all members following consultation with Essex & Suffolk Water Forum (ESWF) ( members. A draft Non-Disclosure Disclosure Agreement had been circulated to members of the forum before the meeting. Amendments were agreed and changes have been made in line with members views. A revised version of the Non-Disclosure Non Agreement is attached. Action: Any further furthe comments on the revised Non-Disclosure Non Agreement are to be emailed to Jill Wisniewski th ahead of the ESWF on the 13 March 2012.

4. Customer research esearch for PR14 (NWL presentation & discussion) Jill Wisniewski gave a presentation on the proposed plans and timings for PR14 customer research. A discussion centred on the need for appropriate engagement with customers when carrying out research. It was agreed that it is important that research is upfront with customers in terms of what is discretionary investment and what is not. It t was also acknowledged by the forum that customers are interested in the whole of the bill (including RPI) and this needs to be factored into research. NWL confirmed that the WTP research would be one input to the decision making process for business planning and that there would be further research with customers in 2013 on draft service/price package(s). package It was agreed that AMP6 proposed deliverables need to be set in the context of long term outcomes.

5. Engagement of an independent customer research Peer Reviewer Andrea Cook asked Ken Oswald to talk through the paper circulated to forum members on the potential appointment of Professor Ken Willis as peer reviewer of the PR14 Willingness to Pay (WTP) customer research. All members endorsed the recommendation that Professor Ken Willis is appointed to peer review the research. Action: NWL to appoint nt Professor Ken Willis as peer reviewer and to invite him along to the next forum meeting. meeting 6. embers interests in the Water industry & key issues and challenges for consideration in NWLs business planning (short presentation by each member) Each member gave a short presentation on the above. The most common themes were: Affordability of water bills and the wider economic climate

Appropriate maintenance levels to ensure no deterioration in environmental performance and drinking water standards standa Managing the risks of sewer flooding f Working together for sustainable solutions solution It was agreed that challenges and long terms outcomes will be discussed in more detail at the next forum meeting. Action: Add challenges and long term outcomes to next forum meeting agenda.

7. NWLs aims & objectives for PR14 Heidi Mottram presented NWLs values. Ceri Jones outlined NWLs aims and objectives objective and the challenges for PR14 from an NWL perspective.

8. Programme & Next Steps Ken Oswald presented next steps and proposed dates for forum meetings. It was agreed that the proposed roposed meeting timetable needs to be reviewed. In particular, it is important (where possible) to get a collective forum view on the customer research materials (e.g. topic guides) and appropriate time needs to be factored into the programme for this to happen. happen Action: NWL to review the research programme and forum meeting dates. It was agreed that future forum meetings should be arranged in advance once the programme has been reviewed. revie Action: NWL to arrange future meetings. SUMMARY OF ACTIONS Description Invite chair of the Northumbrian CRAG to be a member of the NWF Review existing environmental networks to see if collective consultation with environmental NGOs is feasible nd Develop further 2 tier stakeholder engagement plans and look for gaps in coverage A summary of stakeholder engagement plans and forum membership to be provided to Ofwat Minutes of forum meetings to be provided to Ofwat in a timely manner Andrew Day (from Ofwat) to be invited as an observer to future forum meetings when appropriate A revised version of the ToR to be circulated to all members following consultation with ESWF members Any further comments on the revised Non-Disclosure Non Agreement th are to be emailed to Jill Wisniewski ahead of the ESWF on the 13 March 2012 Professor Ken Willis to be appointed as peer reviewer and invited to the next forum meeting Challenges and long term outcomes to be added to next forum meeting agenda Review the research programme and forum meeting dates Future forum meetings to be arranged Responsibility NWL EA to liaise with NE NWL NWL NWL NWL NWL ALL

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

9 10 11 12

NWL NWL NWL NWL