You are on page 1of 4

INAUGURAL MEETING OF THE ESSEX & SUFFOLK WATER FORUM 13.00 16.

.20, TUESDAY 13th MARCH 2012, SANDON VALLEY HOUSE, HANNINGFIELD MEETING NOTES PRESENT: Chair: Dame Yve Buckland For Suffolk Chamber of Commerce (SCC): Iain Dunnett For Consumer Council for Water (CCW): Steve Grebby For Consumer Council for Water (CCW): Keith Andrew For Essex Chamber of Commerce (ECC): Robert Leng For Natural England (NE): Gareth Dalglish For Environment Agency (EA): Paul Woodcock For Essex & Suffolk Water (ESW): Heidi Mottram, Ceri Jones, John Devall, Ken Oswald and Jill Wisniewski APOLOGIES: For ESW Corporate Responsibility Advisory Group (CRAG): Richard Powell For Essex County Council: Cllr Derrick Louis NOTES AND ACTIONS 1. Welcome & introduction of the Chair Heidi Mottram welcomed everyone to the inaugural meeting of the ESWF and introduced Dame Yve Buckland as the independent chair of the forum. All members endorsed Dame Yves appointment.

2. Chair persons comments & members introductions Dame Yve Buckland stressed that she had taken on the role of chair as an independent person and not as a representative of CCWater and she was delighted to have been asked. She requested members to be vigilant and speak up at anytime if they felt she was not acting in an impartial manner. She also asked members to consider the need for a deputy chair to share the leadership of the forum. Action: Members to review and consider the need for a deputy forum chair. Dame Yve Buckland outlined the purpose and remit of the forum. She stressed the forum was there to provide challenge and ensure all customer groups views are taken into consideration. Members needed to be satisfied with the customer and wider stakeholder engagement processes. This will be a real opportunity to put the customer at the centre of the process and specific issues relating to the region to be addressed through the forum. However, members will need to be satisfied that there are appropriate governance and assurance processes in place for the companys business plan. All members briefly introduced themselves and the organisation they represent.

3. Introduction to PR14 and the role of the Water Forums Ken Oswald gave a brief presentation. A discussion on forum membership and wider stakeholder engagement followed. Paul Woodcock stressed that the diagram on stakeholder engagement was not the complete picture and that there were other important feeds into the process not shown, for example, the Water Resources Management Plan. Action: It was agreed that ESW needed to develop and map out in detail 2nd tier stakeholder engagement plans and to share this with the forum for comment. The forum 1

needs to be happy that all the relevant stakeholder groups have been included and invited to be part of the process (if they want to be) in order to be able to provide assurance to Ofwat at the end of the process. Action: To help the forum review and comment on the 2nd tier stakeholder engagement plans ESW agreed to analyse the demographics of its customer base and the specific issues arising to help identify any potential gaps in its approach to customer engagement. This is to be discussed in detail at the next forum meeting in June 2012. Action: Dame Yve Buckland agreed to send a letter (to be drafted by ESW) to key stakeholder contacts (to be sourced by ESW with help and comment from forum members) inviting them to be part of the consultation process for PR14. Dame Yve Buckland asked if members thought any organisations were not currently represented around the table that ought to be. The National Farmers Union (NFU) was mentioned as one potential omission. Action: NFU membership to be reviewed in light of demographic customer base analysis.

4. Agreement of Terms of Reference (ToR) & Communication arrangements (including non-disclosure) A draft ToR had been circulated to members of the forum before the meeting. No changes to the ToR were suggested. A draft Non-Disclosure Agreement had been circulated to members of the forum before the meeting. One change to the Non-Disclosure Agreement was agreed to be made. Action: The Non-Disclosure Agreement to be amended to reflect Richard Powells representation on the forum as chair of the ESW CRAG rather than as a representative of the National Trust. Paul Woodcock stated that he needed to take advice on non-disclosure and get back to the forum. Action: Paul Woodcock to review internally. It was agreed that any material provided by forum members will be considered nonconfidential unless otherwise stated. It was agreed that all future ESWF meetings are be scheduled in advance and for there to be on average three formal meetings a year. It was noted that there might be a need for sub-groups to develop as the process and issues unfold. Action: ESW to propose and circulate future meeting dates. It was agreed that Jill Wisniewski would provide the Secretariat service for the forum and forum members should be provided with other members contact details. Action: ESW to email forum contact details to members.

5. Customer research for PR14 Jill Wisniewski gave a presentation on the proposed plans and timings for PR14 customer research. It was agreed that it was important for customer research to be transparent about the differences between discretionary investment and non-discretionary investment, including investor returns. It was agreed that forum members should have time to comment on research material ahead of planned fieldwork and changes are made where possible.

6. Engagement of an independent customer research Peer Reviewer Dame Yve Buckland asked Ken Oswald to introduce the paper circulated to forum members on the potential appointment of Professor Ken Willis as peer reviewer of the PR14 Willingness to Pay (WTP) customer research. All members endorsed the recommendation that Professor Ken Willis is appointed to peer review the research. Action: ESW to appoint Professor Ken Willis as peer reviewer and to invite him to the next forum meeting. 2

A discussion on the need for independent assurance and governance at PR14 followed. Action: ESW to develop and share with the forum its planned governance and assurance processes for PR14 for comment.

7. Members interests in the Water industry & key issues and challenges for consideration in NWLs business planning (short presentation by each member) Each member gave a short presentation on the above. The most common themes were: Understanding growth and the demand for water (e.g. increased housing needs & ageing population in the area) Water resources management Catchment management and innovative sustainable solutions Resilience and protecting critical infrastructure from flooding and drought risks (climate change adaptation) Appropriate maintenance levels to ensure no deterioration in environmental performance and drinking water standards Affordability of water bills and value for money It was agreed that an update on developments since the last price review would be useful. Action: ESW to provide an update presentation at the next forum meeting on developments since PR09. It was noted that it was important to brief forum members who were unable to attend the meeting. Action: ESW to brief forum members who were unable to attend. All meeting material including presentations is to be provided to members.

8. ESWs aims & objectives for PR14 Heidi Mottram presented ESWs values. Action: A copy of the booklet Our Values to be circulated to each forum member. Ceri Jones outlined ESWs aims and objectives and the challenges for PR14 from an ESW perspective.

9. Programme & next steps Ken Oswald presented next steps and proposed dates for forum meetings. It was noted that a disclosure opportunity at the start of each meeting is needed. Action: ESW to add to all future meeting agendas an item for disclosure. It was agreed that ESW needs to share the PR14 business plan timeline it is working to with forum members and highlight key decision points. Action: ESW to share the PR14 business plan timeline with forum members. It was agreed that it would be useful for the chair to discuss with Ofwat forum arrangements. Action: Dame Yve Buckland to discuss forum arrangements with Ofwat and provide feedback at the next forum meeting.

SUMMARY OF ACTIONS Description Members to review and consider the need for a deputy forum chair Develop further 2nd tier stakeholder engagement plans and look for gaps in coverage Review demographics of customer base Letter to be drafted from Dame Yve Buckland inviting key stakeholders to be part of the consultation process for PR14 NFU membership to be reviewed in light of demographic customer base analysis The Non-Disclosure Agreement to be amended to reflect Richard Powells representation on the forum as chair of the ESW CRAG Non-disclosure agreement advice to be sought Future forum meetings to be arranged Forums members contact details to be emailed Planned governance and assurance processes for PR14 to developed and shared with members for comment Professor Ken Willis to be appointed as peer reviewer and invited to the next forum meeting Update presentation to be provided at the next forum meeting on developments since PR09 Brief to be provided to forum members who were unable to attend. All meeting material including presentations to be provided A copy of the booklet Our Values to be circulated to each forum member An item for disclosure to be added to all future meeting agendas PR14 business plan timeline to be shared with forum members Forum arrangements to be discussed with Ofwat and feedback provided at next forum meeting Responsibility ALL ESW ESW ESW ESW ESW Paul Woodcock ESW ESW ESW ESW ESW ESW ESW ESW ESW Dame Buckland

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Yve