This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
ur is tG ui de
Road Railway Forest, Park Street, Road Built Area River Tunnel Funicular Tourist Infromation Centre Emergency Medical Service Museum, Gallery Theatre Church Cultural and Congress Centre Fairgrounds Railway Station Bus Station Car Park Covered Car Park Petrol Station, open 24 hours Airport
Sports Park and Centre Post Office Promenade Swimming Pool Sights of Interest
Regular Walking Tours
The two hours’ tour features the most attractive city sights. It is mainly intended for individuals and smaller groups. Languages: Slovene and English Departure point: in front of the Town Hall (Magistrat, Mestni trg 1).
Sightseeing Tours by Appointment
Throughout the year, the Ljubljana Tourist Information Centres can arrange for you a variety of sightseeing programmes in 17 languages and at the times of your choice. − Classical two-hour sightseeing tours − Special interest tours (Ljubljana in Antiquity, Baroque Ljubljana, Art Nouveau Ljubljana, architect Plečnik’s Ljubljana, etc.) − Cycling tours* − Boat tours along the Ljubljanica river*
* Availability depends on weather conditions.
The tourist train, which connects the city centre with the Ljubljana Castle, runs every full hour from the Stritarjeva Street. The ride takes 15 minutes. The tourist train returns downtown every hour, 20 minutes past the full hour.
The monthly schedule changes according to seasons.
In spring, summer and early fall the boat tour offers a view on Ljubljana from a different angle. The tourist boat sets off for a one-hour trip from the pier at Ribji trg, located along the Cankarjevo nabrežje embankment. Guests are accompanied by a Slovene and English speaking guide.
A panoramic funicular connects the Old Town with the Castle Hill. Departure station: Krekov Square.
For detailed information on all guided city tours, please contact the Tourist Information Centres or visit the website www.visitljubljana.si.
Left: the Franciscan Church on the Prešeren Square 2 3
A Warm Welcome! 6 A Brief Introduction 8 Ljubljana of Old and Today 10 Tours Around Ljubljana 16 The Tourist Trail 18 Outside the Tourist Trail 34 Plečnik's Ljubljana 36 Ljubljana Castle 42 Trnovo and Krakovo 44 Excursion Tips 46 Traditional Events 52 Public Holidays 55
Antiq Hotel Hotel Mons
City Hotel Ljubljana
Get it now!
Hotel & Casino Kongo Penzion Pri Katrci
Tour As Agency
M Hotel Hotel Park
Celica Hostel Vila Minka
Botanical Garden Festival Ljubljana
Avtobusna Postaja Ljubljana
ABC & Europcar Avis Rent a Car
Edited and published by: Zavod za turizem Ljubljana ⁄ Ljubljana Tourist Board, Krekov trg 10, SI - 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia tel. +386 1 306 45 83, fax + 386 1 306 45 94 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.visitljubljana.si Photography: Archives of the Slovenian and Ljubljana Tourist Board, dr. J. Bavcon, M. Cvetkovič, A. Fevžer, B. Gradnik, Jakše-Jeršič, E. Kaše, K. Košak, A. Pavan, J. Skok, M. Staples, F. Virant, D. Wedam Preperss: Studio DTS, Printed by: Razvedrilo, ltd. Ljubljana, September 2008
Budget Car Rental Hertz Rent a Car
Casino Ljubljana Ljubljanski Grad
Kinoteka DZS Epicenter Bachus Center
Mestna Galerija Tobačni Muzej
Skok Sport Laguna Hana Vodnikov Hram
Pizzerija Tunel Cantina Mexicana
Vinoteka Movia Nama ArtGlass
Pri Vitezu Chez Eric
A Warm Welcome!
What is it that sets Ljubljana apart from other cities and capitals that makes it a great place to visit? You will not discover here world-renowned attractions, such as the Eiffel Tower or the Big Ben, but there are other features that can be stressed. Due to its compact size, Ljubljana is a walking and environmentally friendly city, with a lot of green spaces. It has one of the best-preserved Baroque quarters in Europe that blends harmoniously with the younger Art Nouveau buildings. And, in the first half of the 20th century, it was blessed with the talent of architect Jože Plečnik, who created its cosmopolitan image. The young and vibrant spirit of the Slovenian capital often stuns first-time visitors. No wonder, as out of a population of 276,000 one fifth are university students. Lean back & relax is also a motto of our city - having a refreshment in one of the numerous cafes along the riverbanks or in the Old Town is a good way to observe and feel the pulse of our everyday life. The picturesque open market provides many fresh ingredients which are the basis for culinary delights served in the downtown restaurants and inns, and to appreciate even more the local gastronomy, indulge in the discovery of excellent Slovenian wines. Just to round up the picture, Ljubljana displays a remarkable agenda of cultural events, close to 10.000 annually - including 14 international festivals and many other traditional happenings all year round. The good language skills of the local residents are also much appreciated by foreign guests. Conveniently located in the centre of the country, the capital is also an ideal departure point to discover the amazingly diverse features of Slovenia, all within a two-hour drive. Ljubljana Tourist Board
Left: the Ljubljana's Dragon on the Dragon Bridge 6 7
A Brief Introduction
Ljubljana lies in a basin between the Karst and the Alpine Regions at 298 metres above sea level. We like to say it is sufficiently large to contain everything that a capital should have, and small enough to preserve the individuality of its inhabitants. It is a city with a soul, featured by the Baroque Old Town which is nestled at the foot of Castle Hill, the Art Nouveau mansions as well as some of the masterpieces of the world renowned architect Jože Plečnik. It has a Central European climate which is mutually influenced by the warm Adriatic Sea and the cool alpine mountain range. The coldest month is January, with an average temperature of -2°C and the warmest, July, when the average temperature is around 20°C. The Ljubljanica River (also called “The River of Seven Names”), whose source is found in the Karst Region, runs through the city between the Castle and Rožnik Hills. Ten kilometres north-east of the city centre it flows into the Sava River. The Gruber Canal was built in 1780 between the Castle and Golovec Hills to relieve the flooding of the Ljubljanica. The river, which has now been dammed and meanders peacefully through Ljubljana, had a stimulating influence on the city in the past, and therefore determined its heartbeat through many centuries. In more recent times, architect Plečnik gave the Ljubljanica riverbanks a new look. He reinforced the sides, designed walking paths with a promenade, and also renewed quite a number of bridges, including, respectively, the Trnovo Bridge, the Cobbler’s Bridge and the centrally located Triple Bridge, which gives the city a special charm.
The Republic of Slovenia is a Central European country with a surface area of 20,237 km2 and a population of two million inhabitants. Left: the Triple Bridge from the air 8 9
Ljubljana of Old and Today
If one is to believe the legend, then the founder of Ljubljana was the Greek prince Jason, together with his companions, the Argonauts. According to the legend, Jason and the Argonauts, while fleeing from King Aites, from whom they had stolen the golden fleece, sailed from the Black Sea up the Danube, from the Danube into the Sava, and from the Sava into the Ljubljanica. Around about here Jason encountered a terrible monster, which he fought and slew. This monster was the famous Dragon, which now has its permanent abode on top of the castle tower on the Ljubljana coat of arms. Ljubljana’s geographical position has governed its colourful past. A brisk migration of nations flowed through the Ljubljana Gateway, part of the natural entrance from Central Europe to the Mediterranean, the Balkans and on towards the East. So it is not surprising that settlements of pile dwellers, and later Illyrians and Celts, grew up in this region more than 5000 years ago. At the time of Roman hegemony, from the 1st century BC to the 5th century AD, the settlement on the site of present day Ljubljana was called Emona. Subsequently Emona was frequently invaded by the Barbarians and, in 452 AD, was finally destroyed by the Huns under Attila. The Slavs began to settle in this territory in the 6th century AD. Little is known of the first Slav colonisation, but ancient Slavonic graves found in different parts of Ljubljana confirm the gradual development of their settlement. The first feudal rule was established in the Ljubljana Region around the year 1000 AD and Ljubljana became its centre. Ljubljana is first mentioned in written sources somewhere between the years 1112 and 1125, its historical rise beginning in the 13th century when it became the Capital of the Province of Carniola. In 1335 it came under the Hapsburg rule. From the end of the Middle Ages onwards the town gradually assumed the role of the Slovene cultural capital. Slovene Protestantism, as the most powerful social movement of the 16th century, was a major influence in this. Ljubljana was then the meeting place of the nationally conscious. Primož Trubar, who gave the Slovenes their first printed book in 1550, worked here and many years later, France Prešeren and Ivan Cankar, two important figures in the struggle for the cultural and political freedom of the Slovene nation, produced their works here.
Left: the Citizen of the Roman Emona
In 1693 a scientific academy, the Academia Operosorum Labacensis, was founded. It was established on the model of Italian scientific academies, and among other things, gave an incentive for the building of the first public library. Academia Operosorum, which associated theologists, lawyers, physicians and philosophers, was merged with Academia Incoltorum (for the fine arts) and Academia Philharmonicorum in 1701. With the establishment of these academies Ljubljana became an important cultural and scientific centre with links to Italy and Central Europe. Academia Philharmonicorum fostered Italian music and a small orchestra was founded - one of the first outside Italy. The honorary members of the Philharmonic Society which, towards the end of the 18th century stemmed from the traditions of this orchestra, were Haydn, Beethoven, Paganini, Brahms and subsequently, the orchestra was also conducted by Mahler. Ljubljana had an important role in Napoleonic Times when, between 1809 and 1813, it became the capital of the entire Illyrian Provinces, which spread even as far as Dubrovnik. In 1821, Ljubljana hosted the Congress of the Holly Alliance for several months. The Alliance gathered due to the revolutionary riots that followed the unstable PostNapoleonic period. Its main participants were the Russian Tsar Alexander I, the Austrian Emperor Franz I, the King Ferdinand IV of Naples and the Franz IV of Modena. It was also attended by the representatives of France, Great Britain, Prussia and several Italian states. The Congress was lead by the Austrian Chancellor Prince Klemens
The memorial Pillar to Napoleon and the Illyrian Provinces
The building of the Slovenian Philharmonic 12
Metternich, one of the greatest diplomats of his time. The building of the Vienna - Trieste Railway (1849-57), linking Ljubljana with the world, was decisive in the further development and organisation of the city. Ljubljana has twice experienced earthquakes: the first in 1511 and the second in 1895, when almost the whole city was destroyed in the natural catastrophe. Reconstruction gave Ljubljana a new contemporary image, and Art Nouveau masterpieces complemented its older, Baroque architecture. World War I brought the break with the Hapsburg dynasty. Austro-Hungary disintegrated and Slovenia and its capital joined the new state, the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. During the World War II, at the end of 1942, the Italian occupiers erected a 29.663 meters long barbed wire blockade around Ljubljana to separate the rebellious city from its rear. In 1943, Ljubljana was occupied by Germans, who even increased the violence over its inhabitants. The city was liberated on May 9th, 1945 after the 1.770 days lasting blocade. Every year on this day a memorial march takes place along the route once enclosed by the notorious barbed wire. This 33 km long recreational path is now called the Path of Remembrance and Comradeship. After World War II Ljubljana became the capital of Slovenia, one of the six republics of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. At a national referendum held on 23rd December 1990, the people of Slovenia voted for independence and sovereignity and on 25th June 1991, the Republic
of Slovenia proclaimed its independence. With this, Ljubljana became the capital of the new state, the heart of the political, economic, cultural and scientific life of the Slovene nation. The next significant mile stones for Ljubljana are the Slovenia’s accession to the European Union on 1st May 2004 as well as introduction of the Euro in January 2007. Ljubljana, with only some 276,000 inhabitants, combines the compactness of a small city with the facilities of a metropolis and, compared with other European capitals, remains a “city on a human scale”. Archaeological remains from the time of Roman Emona blend harmoniously with buildings and artefacts reflecting a tinge of Italian and Austrian artistic style; to this we add the work of domestic architects who gave the city an original Slovene image and influenced its contemporary appearance. There are many things, especially in the lives of the inhabitants, which tell of its past and present cultural history. The rich cultural life of Ljubljana undoubtedly has its roots in its permanent links with the world, in all that it has accepted from it and given to it on the path of its integration into European and world culture.
Left: An example of modern architecture in one of the city's new business quarters 14 15
Tours Around Ljubljana
3 hours A view of the city from the tower of Ljubljana Castle (access by car, or on foot from the Old Town, by the tourist train, or by funicular), and a short tour of the city centre and central food Market (please see the tourist trail). 12 hours - half day A tour of the city along the tourist trail with a visit to the central food Market and panoramic Ljubljana Castle tower, plus a visit to the Museum of Modern Art or National Gallery or National Museum of Slovenia. Also includes time for shopping in the city department stores, shopping malls and specialised shops ⁄ boutiques and having lunch or dinner in a restaurant or inn. Wine lovers can also enjoy a wine tasting at the Vinoteka Movia by the Town Hall, or at the Art & Wine Gallery on Breg 2. 24 hours - full day A tour of the city along the tourist trail with a slow walk up the Castle Hill (approx. 20 minutes from the foot to the tower), or take the funicular; enjoy the splendid vista from the tower, descend to Levstik Square (Levstikov trg), walk by the Ljubljanica River to Trnovo Pier (Trnovski pristan), view either the National Gallery, Museum of Modern Art, National Museum or one of the temporary exhibitions in other cultural institutions, and stroll through the Tivoli Park to the Museum of Modern History. Not far from the centre are also the Zoo and the Botanical Gardens. After shopping and evening dinner we recommend a visit to a concert or theatre production. (To assist you, a monthly Diary of Events is available from hotel receptions, travel agents and the Ljubljana Tourist Information Centre). 48 hours - more than one day Get even more familiar with Ljubljana or, alternatively, we warmly recommend you to visit some of the fascinating excursion sights located in close proximity or a little further.
Please see the »Excursion Tips« chapter.
Left: the monument to the greatest Slovenian poet France Prešeren 16 17
The Tourist Trail
The Tourist Trail (Turistična magistrala) leads you along a circular footpath on which lie most of the sights of interest. The numbers in squares indicate the location of individual sights on the map.
13 Prešernov trg (Prešeren Square)
This square is named after the greatest Slovene poet, France Prešeren (1800-1849). His poetry is a symbol of longing for love and freedom, which is why one of his poems, A Toast /“Zdravljica” became the national anthem. The monument to Prešeren was unveiled in the autumn of 1905 and is the work of architect Maks Fabiani and sculptor Ivan Zajc. The square, based on the Italian model, is dominated by the ornamented facade of the Franciscan Church 14 , built between 1646 and 1660. Its great altar is the work of sculptor Francesco Robba, from the mid18th century. The vaults were painted by Matevž Langus in the mid-19th century, and repainted in the 1930’s by Matej Sternen. The Art Nouveau facades of “Ura” and “Centromerkur” are also a characteristic of Prešeren Square. Tromostovje (Triple Bridge) 15 , a special feature of Ljubljana’s architecture, is made up of an old stone bridge from 1842 and two side ones, which architect Jože Plečnik added in 1931; together, they provide an elegant entrance into the Old Town.
17 Stolnica (Cathedral)
The Ljubljana church, which boatmen and fishermen dedicated to their patron St Nicholas, probably stood on the site of the present cathedral as early as the mid-13th century. The original Romanesque church was later rebuilt several times. The construction of the present church, built to the plans of the Roman Jesuit architect Andrea Pozzo and decorated with Illusionist frescoes by Giulio Quaglio, started in 1701. The cupola was added in 1841 by the native architect Gregor Maček, and painted by Matevž Langus in 1843-44. Among the remains of the previous church are, on the exterior, a Gothic keystone with the head of Christ to the right of the main entrance, and a mid15th century Gothic Pietà which stands in a niche on the southern facade. Contemporary Slovene sculptor Mirsad Begić carved the history of the Ljubljana Diocese on the side door of the Cathedral in honour of the Pope’s visit to Ljubljana in 1996. The main door, made of bronze, created in the same year, is a masterpiece of the contemporary Slovene sculptor Tone Demšar. It represents 1250 years of
??? 18 Left: At the banks of Ljubljanica 19
Christianity in the country and was blessed by the Pope. Škofijski dvorec (Bishop's Palace) The present Archbishop’s palace, originally Renaissance, was later transformed in its first renovation into an early Baroque building and has the most beautiful preserved arcaded courtyard in Ljubljana. The construction of the palace started in 1512, and it was raised by one storey in the mid-17th century. At the end of the 18th century it acquired its present facade with wreathed ornamentation and was connected to the cathedral by a passage. Some time later, Emperor Napoleon slept in this building, and his governors of the Illyrian Province, L. Bernadotte, Marmont and others resided here. Today it is the seat of the Slovene Catholic Metropolity. Semenišče (Seminary) The seminary palace behind the cathedral was built between 1708 and 1714 and gradually completed by 1772. Its portal is the work of the Ljubljana mason Luka Mislej, while the two giants were carved by Angelo Putti. The seminary library in this building was the first public library in Ljubljana and preserves a number of valuable manuscripts and printed works. It is also known for its beautiful furniture and vault frescos painted by Giulio Quaglio. Vodnikov trg (Vodnik Square) Vodnik Square was created after the earthquake of 1895 when the Girl’s Grammar School and the School Library were pulled down, to make room for the market. It was
The Dragon Bridge by the Plečnik's Market with the Cathedral in the background
named after the monument to Valentin Vodnik, the Slovene poet, the work of sculptor Alojz Gangl. Opposite the monument, a footpath leads to the Castle Hill. Along the Ljubljanica, from Vodnik Square to the Triple Bridge stands Plečnik’s famous Market 16 , a long monumental building with colonnades.
18 Zmajski most (Dragon Bridge)
The Dragon Bridge, designed in Art Nouveau style, stands by the market place and was built in 1901 on the site of the former wooden “Butcher’s Bridge”. It was named after the Emperor Franz Joseph, although only on paper, since the name was never adopted in practice. The bridge is a concrete and iron structure and was among the first of this type in Europe. Conceived by arch. Otto Wagner’s pupil, Jurij Zaninovich, it features 4 statues of dragons and is considered one of our city’s landmarks.
19 Ljubljanski grad (Castle)
The central point of interest of Ljubljana is the Castle Hill. Excavations testify that the hill was first fortified in the time of the Celts and Illyrians and that the Romans had a military post there. The beginnings of the medieval castle go back to the 9th century, although the castle building is first mentioned only in 1144. At that time it was the seat of the provincial ruler Spanheim, who even minted his own coinage here. It gained its present image after the earthquake of 1511 and with further renovations at the beginning of the 17th century. It was occupied by the provincial rulers until the first decades of the 17th century,
The Central Market on the Vodnik Square 20
later becoming simply a garrison and provincial prison. The castle’s renovation is now nearly completed, so that the two wedding suites, the tower, chapel and cafeteria are open to visitors, while the rest of the reconstructed premises are used for occasional performances, exhibitions and social functions. Near the castle stands a monument to the Slovene peasant uprising (by Stojan Batič, 1974). More on page 42
1 Rotovž (Town Hall)
The first building erected here in 1484 was rebuilt in 1718 to the plans of the architect Gregor Maček. It has preserved a number of memorials of Ljubljana’s past, including the Hercules and Narcissus fountain (the work of Robba’s workshop) and the Gothic auditorium, in which Ljubljana residents attended theatrical performances by itinerant comedians in the 16th and 17th centuries. Today it is the seat of the Ljubljana City Council. In front of the building stands one of the most representative monuments in Ljubljana, the fountain with allegorical sculptures of the three Carniolan rivers: the Sava, Krka and Ljubljanica. It was created in 1751 by Francesco Robba, the most important Ljubljana sculptor of the 18th century.
2 Mestni, Stari in Gornji trg (Town Square, Old Square, Upper Square)
The first two squares flow one into another and then into Gornji trg (Upper Square). All three, representing the Old Town, embrace the foot of Castle Hill. The houses are almost all Baroque; only some, with their axes at right angles to the street, have retained their medieval layout.Just as the Cathedral dominates Town Square, so the Church of St Florian (1672) dominates Gornji trg. A footpath leads from it to the castle which, together with the surroundings, was laid out by architect Jože Plečnik.
3 Levstikov trg (Levstik Square)
The Church of St James was rebuilt by the Jesuits from 1613 to 1615 alongside their monastery, which was also the home of the first Ljubljana School of Higher Education (theology, philosophy and medicine) and the first High School of Music. The high altar in the church was carved in 1732 by F. Robba, who also lived in this square, while the sculptures in the chapel of St Francis Xavier (1667-1670) are by Jacopo Contieri, Paolo Groppelli and Angelo Putti. After the earthquake of 1895, the two belltowers had to
Left: the Town Hall 22 23
be demolished and replaced by a new, single one, now the highest in Ljubljana. They also then added a sacristy. The Shrine to Mary, which stands in the square, was erected in the 17th century in gratitude that the Turks had bypassed the country. Jože Plečnik redesigned the square in 1927 and gave it its present appearance. On the north side of the square stands the late Baroque Gruber Palace, built in the 1770’s by Gabrijel Gruber. It conceals an oval stucco staircase with a dome on the top and a chapel on the first floor. The chapel with paintings showing the scenes from Mary’s life was decorated by J. M. Kremser Schmidt, while the dome was painted by Andrej Herrlein.
5 Slovenska akademija znanosti in umetnosti (Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts)
This institute has its seat in a Baroque palace which was given its present facade in the late-18th century. It was formerly the seat of the “Landhaus” (Provincial Diets) and also served as a stage for visiting Italian theatres. The square which opens in front of the building was formally the heartland of the Ljubljana aristocracy. It is surrounded by the town houses of the most prominent aristocratic families of former Carniola. All the buildings in the square have preserved Baroque exteriors. To the east, the square adjoins the banks of the Ljubljanica and Jurčič Square. On the eastern side of Jurčič Square is Čevljarski most (Cobbler’s Bridge) 4 ,which, prior to Plečnik’s intervention, resembled to the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, even in being roofed and lined with artisan workshops, from which it got its name. The main city gates used to be on the old town side and before 1484, in a gallery built
The National and University Library
above the street which lead from the castle side to the bridge, also the seat of the city authorities. The skeletons which, according to popular tradition, were found when the old walls were demolished suggest that the city courts were also contained in that building.
6 Narodna in univerzitetna knjižnica (National and University Library)
The library was built to the plans of architect Jože Plečnik between 1936 and 1941. It stands on the site of the former Ducal Palace (1660-62) which belonged to the noble Turjak (Auersperg) family and stood here until the earthquake of 1895. Today, the Library preserves a number of valuable medieval documents, incunabula and Renaissance editions, as well as an obligatory copy of all newly printed Slovene books. The interior of the building is monumental in its conception: the black marble staircase and the perystle with 32 marble columns lead to the big reading room. The beautiful fittings and furnishings, from the door handles to the chandeliers, were also designed in Plečnik’s studio. Towards the west, the building is adjacent to the remains of the Roman walls which were restored by Plečnik, too. On them stand memorials to Slovene Slavicists, continuing the line of memorials to Slovene musicians in front of the Music School on Vegova Street.
7 Trg francoske revolucije (French Revolution Square)
The Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts 24
The entire south-western part of walled Ljubljana was in the possession of a Teutonic order of knights, the Knights
of the Cross (Križniki) and the entire complex between French Revolution Square, Gosposka Street, Zoisova and Emonska Streets is still called Križanke today. The Knights of the Cross were already living here in the beginning of the 13th century, at which time a monastery was erected. St Mary’s Church is first mentioned in sources from 1268, while the present one, standing on the same site, was built in 1714 to the plans of the Venetian Domenico Rossi. In the 18th century the monastery was enlarged and rebuilt. The entire monastic complex, following Plečnik’s reconstruction in the 1950’s, mostly serves today as the venue of the Ljubljana Festival performances. It features a large open air auditorium (summer theatre) with 1400 seats, while an audience of 400 can be seated in the atrium. Plečnik’s memorial pillar to Napoleonic Illyria, with the emperor’s garlanded head in relief and Vodnik’s verses from the “Ode to Illyria Resurrected” stands close to Križanke in French Revolution Square. Built into the pillar are ashes from the grave of a French soldier who fell in 1813 in battle with the Austrians. Also worthy of attention in this square are the memorial to the poet Simon Gregorčič (by sculptor Zdenko Kalin) and the palace of the Counts of Auersperg, today the seat of the City Museum 29 .
The Ljubljana University
9 Kongresni trg (Congress Square)
Basically created in the Baroque style, it was laid out in its entirety for the Congress of the Holy Alliance in 1821. The south end of the square is dominated by the building of the University of Ljubljana 11 . Over 50,000 students and 41 institutes generate a strong scientific potential in the city. The building itself was erected as a ducal palace between 1898 and 1902. Next to the University stands
the Slovene Philharmonic Building 12 erected in 1891 on the foundation of the former Provincial Theatre, which had been destroyed by fire. The Slovene Philharmonic ranks among the oldest music societies in the world, since its forerunner, the Academia Philharmonicorum, had been established as early as 1701. Great names as Haydn, Beethoven, Paganini and Brahms were its honorary members. Schubert applied for the post of city music master here and Gustav Mahler was resident conductor for the 1881-82 season. Adjacent is a Biedermeier house, the seat of the oldest Slovene publishing house, Slovenska matica, founded in 1894. The northern side of the square is dominated by the Kazina, a beautiful example of Classical architecture. In the park, called Zvezda (Star), among the remains of the walls of antique Emona, stands a copy of the gilded statue of the Emona Citizen, which was actually found here in 1836 and at first mistaken for a statue of the Emperor Constantine.
10 Uršulinska cerkev (Ursuline Church of the Holy Trinity)
This church ranks among the most beautiful Baroque works of art in Ljubljana. Although we do not know the architect who conceived this masterpiece, it is easy to see his links with the northern Italian Palladian school. In the interior of the church, which is not painted, is a huge high altar, the major work of Francesco Robba. The paintings on the side altars are by Valentin Metzinger. Some paintings, including a large format one by the painter Palma the Younger, were brought here from the former Capucin church. In front of the church stands the famous
The Križanke Summer Theatre – atrium 26
Holy Trinity Column, originally made from wood in 1693 in gratitude that the town had been spared by the plague. In 1721, it was carved in stone and later twice renovated. Today, a copy of the original sculpture stands on the column, while the original is stored in the City Museum.
26 Trg republike (Republic Square)
This is the central Ljubljana square and was planned by architect Edo Ravnikar. Here stands a monument to the resistance, the work of sculptor Drago Tršar. On the north side of the square stands the building of the Parlament (architect V. Glanz, 1954-1959) with monumental portals being the work of sculptors Z. Kalin and K. Putrih. Adjacent to it in the park is the tomb of national heroes, the work of Edo Mihevc and sculptor Boris Kalin. Towards the east and south, the square is bounded by a department store, the head office of Nova Ljubljanska Banka, those of other major companies and Cankarjev Dom Cultural and Congress Centre 27 . Cankarjev dom - Cultural and Congress Centre, built to the plans of arch. Edo Ravnikar and collaborators, offers modern facilities and services to match international standards. The centre can accommodate up to 5.000 visitors at the same time in its numerous halls ranging in capacity from 20 to 2.000 seats. Visitors can enjoy the most diverse cultural events in art, theatre and film as well as congresses, meetings, press conferences, product launches, exhibitions, dances and banquets. Finally, the 3.800 sq. m of exhibition space also hosts, every odd year, part of the International Biennial of Graphic Arts. The monument to the writer Ivan Cankar on the exterior plateau is the work of sculptor Slavko Tihec.
8 Rimski zid (Roman Wall and Antique Monuments)
The south-western section of the walls of antique Emona has been preserved. The foundation stone was supposedly laid by the Emperor Augustus himself in AD 14. Not far from here is Jakopič Garden, in which the archaeological remains of the walls of two Roman villas have been preserved, perhaps actually those in which the Emonians with whom St Hieronymus corresponded once lived. One of the finds is preserved “in situ” near Erjavčeva Street: remains of an early Christian centre with baptistery, portico and Bishop’s Palace, all from the 5th century AD. The multi coloured tile mosaics bear the name of the donors who paid for it and prove that Emona had its own archdeacon in the late Antique period.
Left: the Ursuline Church of the Holy Trinity 28 29
26 Narodni muzej (National Museum)
It was established in 1821 as one of the earliest provincial foundations of this type, and obtained its own permanent building in 1888. Today the Museum still displays the central national collection bearing witness to the past of the Slovenes and the other nations who lived on this territory before them. In addition to the archaeological collection, its cultural, historical and natural history collections are also of interest. In the square in front of the building stands a monument to the Slovene polyhistor Janez Vajkard Valvasor (1641- 1693), the work of sculptor Alojz Gangl (1859-1935), who also created the statuary which adorns the Opera House, Vodnik’s monument and many others.
23 Moderna galerija (Museum of Modern Art)
This gallery was planned by architect Edo Ravnikar and built in 1945. Today it contains a collection of the works of Slovene 20th century artists. This is the central exhibition site of the International Biennial of Graphic Arts, one among the largest exhibitions of this kind in the world. Together with Berneker’s monument to Primož Trubar, the father of Slovene literature (1508-86), it lines the entrance to Tivoli Park, a favourite promenade for Ljubljanians. In the immediate vicinity stands the Serbian Orthodox Church of Sts. Cyrill and Methodius, built in 1936. Tivolski grad (Tivoli Mansion) The mansion, situated in the very heart of Tivoli Park, was erected at the beginning of the 17th century by the Jesuits, although its history stretches back to the 13th century. After the dissolution of their order it was the summer residence of the Bishop of Ljubljana, and in the
The old part of the National Gallery
mid-19th century it became the property of Austrian Field Marshal Radetzky, who gave it its present appearance. The mansion has been recently renovated and now houses the International Centre of Graphic Arts, organiser of the International Biennial of Graphic Arts 24 .
22 Narodna galerija (National Gallery)
The building was erected in 1896 to the plans of architect Škabrout. It served for performances by various national societies and had a gymnasium in the basement. In 1918 it became the seat of the National Gallery and is still today the home for a collection of Slovene works of art from the Middle Ages until the 19th century.
The building was constructed in 1892 in the neoRenaissance style. The plans for it were drawn up by the Czech architects Hrasky and Hruby. Until the building of the German theatre in 1911, it was used for both Slovene and German performances, then only for the Slovene ones.
20 Nebotičnik (Skyscraper)
The first high-rise in Ljubljana, the so-called “skyscraper”, was designed by arch. Vladimir Šubic and built in 1933. It is the first visible response here to architectural developments in distant America and towers above the area as a symbol of the growing city and its economic prosperity. At the time of its construction (and a short while after), it was the tallest building in Central Europe.
The Tivoli Mansion 30 31
28 Miklošičev park (MiklošIč Park)
The park was created in 1902 and is the only Art Nouveau square in Ljubljana. The plan of the square and park was prepared by architect Maks Fabiani, who also conceived the turrets on the corner buildings. To the north, the square is bounded by the Palace of Justice, built in 1898-1902 to the plans of the Viennese architect Spindler. In front stands a memorial to the linguist Fran Miklošič. Miklošič Street runs along the east side, with buildings constructed after the earthquake of 1895, including Grand Hotel Union (1905) where the staff headquarters for the Soča (Isonzo) front resided during the First World War. On the other side of the street is Vurnik’s ornamental facade (1922) of the former Co-operative Bank, an attempt to achieve a “national” architectural style.
30 Gospodarsko razstavišče (GR – Ljubljana Exhibition & Convention Centre
The largest exhibition, convention and events centre in Ljubljana and Slovenia offers a wide array of top-quality services, based on its past tradition as well as numerous international experiences. Its 20 multi-purpose halls can welcome from a few dozen to several thousand visitors / delegates.
Left: the former Cooperative Bank 32 33
Outside the Tourist Trail
The Ljubljana Zoo is situated on the southern slope of the Rožnik Hill in the natural environment of woods and meadows. It is an integrated part of a protected natural park and other green areas. The walking distance from the city centre is approx. 20 minutes. Visitors can admire numerous wild animal species from all continents living in their natural environment. The emphasis is laid primarily on the animal variety at the junction of three zoogeographical areas: the Alpine, Pannonian and Mediterranean.
The Botanical Garden of Ljubljana, established in 1810, is the country's oldest cultural, scientific and educational institution which has been functioning uninterruptedly ever since its foundation. Its plant collection includes more than 4500 species, subspecies and forms, one third of which are autochthonous, while two thirds came from various parts of Europe and other continents. The garden has been maintaining exchange contacts with more than 270 botanical gardens world-wide. The Botanical Garden is also involved in scientific research and educational activities. It plays an important role in the growing and protection of endemic and threatened (endangered, vulnerable and rare) species in Slovenia. Address: Ižanska cesta 15 ⁄ access by city bus No. 3, direction Rudnik
Arboretum Volčji Potok (19 km from Ljubijana)
The Arboretum is a part of one of the few preserved old parks in Slovenia. Spreading on an area of around 80 hectares, it has five lakes and 30 hectares of forest. Altogether it has more than 4500 systematic units, nurseries where young trees and perennials are grown. The small area of the park combines meadows, lakes, forests and groves. One part is freely arranged in the style of an English park, while the other is a geometrical baroque composition with a gap in the centre where a burned-down manor once stood. The pavilion in the middle of the park houses a permanent collection of works depicting animals by the Slovene sculptor Janez Boljka. The park is a venue for flower shows. The most popular one is dedicated to tulips and takes place every year in end April.
Left: the Botanical Garden 34 35
There are few cities on which a single artist has left such a strong personal impression as the architect Jože Plečnik (1872-1957) has done to Ljubljana, his birthplace. By offering monumentality and beauty he attempted to nurture the feeling of selfconfidence in its inhabitants. He was born in Ljubljana on the 23rd of January 1872. After graduating from a state school, he soon enrolled at the School of Industry and Crafts in Graz and trained as a furniture designer. In 1895, he enrolled at the department of architecture of the Vienna Art Academy, from which he graduated in 1898 as the best student of Professor Otto Wagner’s class. He soon started to work independently in Vienna. In this time, he designed several private and tenant houses. With these works, Plečnik became one of the pioneers of European modern architecture. In 1911, he accepted the position of lecturer at the School of Arts and Crafts in Prague. After the founding of Ljubljana University, he was invited to lecture at the Department of Architecture within the Faculty of Technology. At the same time, he accepted an invitation from the President of the Czechoslovak Republic to take on the duties of the chief architect in charge of the renovation of the Prague Castle on Hradčany. In this way, two bodies of work were created simultaneously, one in Prague, the other in Ljubljana. On Hradčany, Plečnik designed ambitious gardens, courtyards, passages and interiors. His beginnings in Ljubljana were more modest. He started by building his own house in Trnovo (Karunova 4), which is today a part of the Architectural Museum, preserving the ambient and artefacts used by Plečnik during his life, as well as an important archive. This is an ideal starting point for the discovery of Plečnik’s artistic path in Ljubljana, scattered with the architect’s masterpieces. In his native city, Plečnik planned many parks and squares one after another. As in Prague, he characterised the urban development of Ljubljana with high obelisks, columns and pyramids, laying broad stairways and paving large expanses. He arranged the banks of the Gradaščica River with Trnovo Bridge, and those of the Ljubljanica River with Trnovo Pier, where he created gently sloping embankments lined with weeping willows and quiet corners. The stroll may continue in direction of the Roman Wall (1932-1938), the French Revolution Square with the Illyrian Memorial Pillar (1929) and the monument to the Slovene poet Gregorčič (1939).
Left: the handle on the entrance door of the National and University Library
The most prominent commission of his later period in Ljubljana was the restoration of the Križanke monastery complex (1951-1956). A bit further is the palace of the National and University Library (1936-1941), which represents one of the highlights of Plečnik’s architecture. The walk proceeds along Vegova Street, with memorials to Slovene Slavicists, musicians and composers, and the building of the Slovene Musical Society ⁄ Glasbena matica. On the opposite bank of the river Plečnik arranged Levstik Square (1927) and the surroundings of St Florian’s Church (1933). A bigger urban complex he designed is the Market on the right bank of the Ljubljanica river (1940-1944). Its monumental colonnade runs in a soft curve from the Triple Bridge to Dragon Bridge. Plečnik was inspired by the Renaissance while making the projects for “Peglezen” (1933-34), a peculiar building standing at the beginning of Poljanska Street. He also built the new Cobbler’s Bridge (1931-1932) and inventively preserved the old Špital Bridge (1842), to which he added two side bridges, thus creating the famous Triple Bridge (1932). His work is also the monumental lock on the river by Ambrož Square (1939-1944). Among the architect’s sacral works we owe special mention to the Church of St Francis in Šiška district (1925-1931) and St Michael’s Church on
The entrance to the Žale Cemetery
The National and University Library − the big reading room 38
the Marsh (Barje) (1937-1940). Just before the Second World War, Žale, a complex of memorial buildings at the Ljubljana cemetery, was built to his plans. This is where a true treasury of Plečnik’s architecture and reminiscence of the Art Nouveau are to be found. The entrance to the cemetery is through an imposing colonnade portal which symbolically separates the space of the living from the space of the dead. Plečnik also adapted the remains of the old Navje cemetery into a memorial park. Among his other prominent works are the facade of the former Ursuline Grammar Achool (1939-1941, on Šubičeva Street); the interior of the former Chamber of Commerce, Craft and Industry (1925-27 at 10, Beethovn's Street), now the Constitutional Court of Slovenia; the building of the
former Mutual Assurance (1928-1930), now the Triglav Insurance Company; the Central Stadium (1925-1941) and the Jakopič Promenade in the Tivoli Park (1934). Plečnik died on the 7th of January 1957 at his home in Trnovo and is buried in the family grave at the Žale Cemetery. In the 1980’s the work of the architect Jože Plečnik became a true discovery for Europe and the world. Besides the extraordinary high quality of his work, Plečnik has also been attributed abroad with a high degree of originality and innovation in the use of historical, regional and even local features, rounding each in new authentic collections containing a multitude of items, from fine details, monuments and architectural motifs to large urban features. The Georges Pompidou National Cultural Centre from Paris and the Ljubljana Museum of Architecture jointly prepared a large retrospective exhibition on Jože Plečnik, opened in 1986. The Paris exhibition subsequently saw extraordinary success in Ljubljana, too. In a truncated form it then moved to Madrid, Vienna, Munich, Karlsruhe, Milan, Venice, New York and Washington. The Georges Pompidou Centre decided to bestow its contribution of Plečnik’s exhibition to Ljubljana. Today a permanent collection comprising most of the works of Plečnik’s Paris exhibition is opened to the public in a renovated wing of the classical early Renaissance Fužine Castle, where the seat of the Architectural Museum is also to be found.
Left: The Fish Market at the river bank 40 41
Grad (the Castle Hill) and its fortress, Ljubljana Castle, are a natural bequest. These two features flow into the symbol and distinguishing landmark of the City of Ljubljana. Thus Ljubljana is ranked among the European cities whose medieval origin is denoted by a castle standing on a rise and overlooking the walled city below. Archaeological research has proven the continuous presence of man on Grad since the 12th century BC. The present castle is younger than the one first mentioned as the headquarters of the feudal dominion of the Spanheim Carinthian Dukes. Between 1220 and 1246 they founded the city below the castle, in the natural setting of the Ljubljana Gateway. In 1335 the castle, which was the centre of the Carniolan province for many years, became the hereditary property of the Hapsburgs. The present castle, which is larger than former ones, was built by order of Duke and later Emperor Frederic III. It originated from a deliberate plan over some decades in the second half of the 15th century to build a fortress with a spacious courtyard within a strong circular walled perimeter, comprising corner towers and two entrance towers. Besides the Gothic castle chapel, which was consecrated in 1489, all the present interior castle buildings originated from the 16th and 17th centuries to form the principal structures and characteristic silhouette of the castle. This period is also regarded as the golden age of Ljubljana Castle. Not until 1848 did the dominant feature of the viewing tower appear in the castle complex, as could be seen from historian Valvasor’s pictures. By 1814 the castle was in such a poor condition that it was used as a prison for a certain time. In 1905 the Ljubljana city authorities purchased it from the state, as there were serious intentions to restore it. Architect Jože Plečnik viewed the castle as the crown of the city and the Slovene cultural acropolis, but unfortunately his ambitious plans never came true. In 1964 the last castle residents obtained accommodation in the city and the first systematic examination and restoration of the castle began. This process has been ongoing since the mid 1980’s and is approaching its completion. In 1990 the pentagonal entrance tower was inaugurated, and in 1992, on St George’s name day, the Chapel of St George (Ljubljana’s patron saint) was consecrated.
The Ljubljana Castle and the old part of the city
The chapel is decorated with the colourful coat of arms of Carniolan provincial governors (1747). The modern layout of the castle as a monument with new functions is linked to the life of the city with the aim to interweave arts and culture, and provide catering and tourist facilities. The city wedding suite is located in one section of the upper storeys. The ground floor is now a reception area featuring a coffeehouse, which has already become a popular meeting place for Ljubljana residents and visitors alike. The viewing tower itself has been open to the public for many years, and is now complemented by the Virtual Museum, which gives an interesting insight into the city’s history. The courtyard is now often transformed into a most pleasant setting for a host of cultural events and social functions in the summer months. The multi-purpose areas, including the Palatium and the Estates Hall (200 seats each) are a suitable location for artistic performances, science and business meetings, club evenings, reception gatherings etc. The Castle Hill can be reached by funicular, by the tourist train or by taking one out of several footpaths from the Old Town.
Trnovo and Krakovo
Trnovo and Krakovo are regarded as the oldest suburbs in Ljubljana. Krakovo, once a fief belonging to the Teutonic order, is featured by low houses aligned at right angles to the old Rečna, Kladezna and Krakovska Streets. They are an exceptionally interesting relic of the medieval settlement outside the walls of Ljubljana and have retained their village character up to the present day. Once, the local residents were chiefly fishermen, which is why there are no large farm buildings in this area. Today, Krakovo and the old part of Trnovo are specially known for their market gardeners (called “Trnovčanke” - the Trnovo ladies), who continue a centuries-long tradition of selling their produce at the Ljubljana market. At the end of Krakovska Street, along Emonska Street, rises a well-preserved Wall from Antique Emona. Beneath it, there is a Baroque chapel containing the copy of a Gothic Relief of the Virgin (Krakovska Madona) from about 1260. On the other side of the wall, in the garden of the house at Mirje 4, in which the Slovene Impressionist painter Rihard Jakopič lived and worked, is an open-air archaeological museum, where remains of a Roman house are on view. Emonska Street leads to the Trnovo Bridge and Church. This bridge, or rather its predecessor, was once the only land connection between Trnovo and the town centre. The present 20 metres wide iron and concrete bridge was designed by Plečnik in 1932. Plečnik conceived it as a square in front of the Trnovo Church and had birch trees planted on it. He set up pyramids on all four sides, a slim obelisk in the middle of the eastern plank and, opposite it, a statue of St John the Baptist, the church patron, sculpted by Nikolaj Pirnat. Trnovo Church, originally built in the mid-18th century, was reconstructed in Neo-Historical style in 1855 and renovated after the earthquake of 1895 in NeoRomanesque style. It is linked to the name of the poet France Prešeren, since it was here that he met his great love, Julija Primic, to whom he dedicated his most beautiful poems. The interior of the church features a beautiful altar image of St John the Baptist by the Baroque painter V. Metzinger, two wall paintings by M. Sternen, a wooden statue of the heart of Jesus by F. Kralj, several Plečnik works of art and a pipe organ dating from 1864 by Goršič, a local man from Krakovo.
The Trnovo Church and Bridge
Adjacent to Trnovo Church is Karunova Street 4 where architect Jože Plečnik lived and worked from 1920 until his death in 1957. His house, now a part of the Architectural Museum, features works of art, antiques and items which Plečnik liked and used in his everyday life. Plečnik devoted considerable efforts to the relandscaping of Trnovo and Krakovo. He designed the basin of the Gradaščica River, and created gently sloping embankments and tree-lined promenades. Special concern was given to the design of the Ljubljanica River basin, with a stress on the Trnovo Pier (Trnovski pristan), once a small river port. In this area, Eipprova Street features several pleasant cafes with outdoor terraces for those seeking more tranquillity than in the downtown area. The Ljubljanica is also suitable for fishing and rowing, and there is a possibility to rent boats. Trnovo boasts the tradition of fine inns and restaurants, too. This district, which has otherwise developed into a modern residential area, is also the home to the KUD France Prešeren Cultural and Arts Society, one of the venue for youth productions and the organiser of a lively summer festival.
1 Ljubljansko barje (Marshland):
lies to the south-west of Ljubljana, surrounded on all sides by plateaus and low hills; a unique landscape and an interesting and attractive place for excursions. It is known for its wide variety of autochthonous flora and fauna, especially birds.
2 Šmarna gora (9 km):
667 m high mountain with Mary’s Chapel on the top and a fine view; a popular excursion sight.
3 Zbiljsko jezero/Zbilje Lake (14 km):
pleasant spot for water sports, angling and recreation. Smledniški grad/Smlednik Castle (16 Km): ruins of an old castle with a preserved medieval basic structure, and a place with a fine view. Dragočajna (21 km): campsite; angling and bathing in the Sava River.
Kamniška Bistrica Kranj Zbiljsko jezero Mengeš Šmarna gora Domžale Kr vavec Kamnik
Barje Grad Bistra Škofljica Ig
Rakitna Iški vintgar Kurešček Raščica
Left: Bled 46 47
4 Škofja Loka (21 km):
one of the oldest Slovene towns with numerous historical monuments and a castle museum with an ethnological and historical collection.
5 Polhov Gradec (14 km):
The town lies in the heart of Polhograjski Dolomiti mountain range, with an old castle complex consisting of a castle with a 16th century nucleus, tower with a clock, Baroque Neptune fountain and a big park with a fountain and majestic lime tree: a site of valuable Roman findings.
6 Grad Bistra/Bistra Castle by Vrhnika (22 km):
former Carthusian Monastery from the 13th century, now the Technical Museum of Slovenia.
7 Rakitna (32 km):
excursions and recreation, and a climatic resort; in the vicinity a nice panoramic view from Mt Krim.
8 Iški Vintgar (17 km):
picturesque river valley cutting through the wild Karst Region.
9 Kurešček (20 km):
833 m high mountain with a church on the top and a fine view, a popular place of pilgrimage.
10 Raščica (28 km):
birthplace of Primož Trubar (1508-86), the founder of Slovene literature.
11 Stična (33 km):
Cistercian Monastery founded in 1135, with a church representing the most important Romanesque monument in Slovenia, and with the oldest and richest collection of Latin manuscripts in the country.
12 Volčji Potok (19 km):
lovely arboretum with a great variety of very rare plants.
13 Kamnik (20 km):
one of the oldest Slovene towns at the foot of the Kamnik Alps; numerous historical and cultural monuments, a small castle and Romanesque chapel on a rocky hill.
Left: the electric train, taking the visitors to the Postojna Caves 48 49
14 Velika Planina (29 km):
1666 m high plateau, famous for its unique architecture of herdsmen’s huts, and a popular spot for skiing; accessible by cable car.
15 Kamniška Bistrica (35 km):
picturesque river valley reaching deep into the Kamnik Alps, with a mountain hut in the middle of a clearing.
16 Krvavec (30 km):
popular and well-equipped skiing ground, close to the airport. Bled (50 km): world famous Alpine resort by the lake with its picturesque island and an old castle on a rock; 4km to the Bled Golf Course – one of the most beautiful golf courses in Central Europe. Bohinj (87 km): tourist resort in the Triglav National Park with the largest lake in Slovenia and 2 medieval churches, also known for its cheese-making tradition. Cerkniško jezero (50 km): the most remarkable intermittent Karst lake, unique in Europe. Lipica Stud Farm (80 km): cradle of all the Lipizzaner horses and the major riding centre of Slovenia. Otočec (69 km): on a green island in the middle of the Krka river stands Otočec Castle (hotel and restaurant), surrounded by a copse of trees and greenery. Piran (133 km): ancient coastal town with a picturesque old town core and the most original coastal town architecture. Portorož (130 km): the leading resort on the Slovenia's coast. Postojna Caves (53 km): miracle of the Karst underworld and the 2nd largest cave system in the world, with an electric train taking you through illuminated halls, past chasms and underground waters in which lives a unique biological phenomenon - the human fish. Škocjan Cave (80 km): an outstanding creation of nature, recorded in the UNESCO register of the Natural Heritage of Mankind.
Left: Piran 50 51
Druga godba International Festival of Alternative and Ethno Music Križanke Summer Theatre
End of June / July
International Jazz Festival Križanke Summer Theatre
End of June / July
Ana Desetnica Festival International festival of Street Theatre Ljubljana city centre
July - August
International Summer Festival Lively cultural activities and encounters with artists. Squares and atria of the Old Town
July - August
Summer in the Old Town Musical, theatrical and dance performances in the wonderful ambience of Plečnik’s open air Križanke Theatre, featured by renowned national and international artists. Križanke Summer Theatre, Ljubljana Castle and other venues
End of June - mid September (every odd year)
International Biennial of Graphic Art Survey of contemporary world reproductive graphic art in all techniques, schools and styles. Museum of Modern Art, International Centre of Graphic Art, Cankarjev dom
September / October (every even year)
BIO International Exhibition of Industrial Design Exhibition venues in the city centre
City of Women International Festival of Contemporary Arts featuring women artists. Cankarjev dom and other venues
Left: the Street Theatre – The Ana Desetnica Festival 52 53
End of October
International Ljubljana Marathon City centre and surroundings
LIFFe - Ljubljana International Film Festival Cankarjev dom and other venues
December Festivities Concerts in churches, performances for children, street fairs and New Year’s Eve celebration in the open air. City centre and the Old Town
January 1 and 2 New year February 8 Culture Day Easter Monday April 27 National Resistance Day May 1 and 2 International Labour Day June 25 Statehood Day August 15 Assumption October 31 Reformation Day November 1 Remembrance Day December 25 Christmas December 26 Independence and Unity Day
Left: Ljubljana in the Advent season 54 55
Tourist Information Centres
Ljubljana Tourist Information Centre - TIC
Stritarjeva ulica, SI-1000 Ljubljana tel. +386 (0)1/ 306 12 15, fax +386 (0)1/ 306 12 04 e-mail: email@example.com Open: 1 June - 30 September: 8.00-21.00, daily 1 October - 31 May: 8.00-19.00, daily
− Information and tourism publications (brochures, maps, event calendars, tourism literature) on Ljubljana and Slovenia − Ljubljana Card − Regular and pre-booked sightseeing tours, tourist train rides, boat tours, funicular − Booking of accommodation and excursions − Souvenirs of Ljubljana − Tickets to cultural, entertainment, sports and other events
Would you like to bring a piece of Ljubljana back home?
Slovenian Tourist Information Centre - STIC
Krekov trg 10, SI-1000 Ljubljana tel. +386 (0)1/ 306 45 76, fax +386 (0)1/ 306 45 80 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Open: 1 June - 30 September: 8.00-21.00 1 October - 31 May: 8.00-19.00, Saturdays 8.00-15.00 Sundays and public holidays closed
− Information on Slovenia’s tourism offer and events taking place in tourist localities across the country − Ljubljana Card − Souvenirs of Ljubljana and Slovenia − Internet corner − Booking of accommodation and excursions − Tickets to cultural, entertainment, sports and other events
Tourist Information Office
Trg OF 6 (Railway station) tel. +386 (0)1/ 433 94 75, fax +386 (0)1/ 430 05 51 e-mail: email@example.com Open: 1 July - 30 September: 8.00-22.00 1 October - 31 May: 10.00-19.00 Saturday: 8.00-15.00 Sundays and public holidays closed
Information and Sale: LJUBLJANA TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE - TIC Stritarjeva ulica, SI - 1000 Ljubljana tel. +386 (0)1/ 306 12 15, fax 386 (0)1/ 306 12 04 firstname.lastname@example.org SLOVENIAN TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE - STIC Krekov trg 10, SI - 1000 Ljubljana tel. +386 (0)1/ 306 45 76, fax+386 (0)1/ 306 45 80 email@example.com
Ljubljana Tourist Information Centre Krekov trg 10, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia tel. + 386 1 306 12 15 fax +386 1 306 12 04 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.visitljubljana.si
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.