You are on page 1of 4

cÉ|Çà V{xätÄ|xÜ

Newsletter for the Point Chevalier History Group

No. 5 June 2009


Times
The Sutherland Estate (Part 2):
“Gone to the Motorway”

1980-1981— State Highway 16, otherwise known as the North-Western Motorway, is a graded swathe through
the southern part of Sutherland’s Estate, behind the Pt Chevalier Shopping Centre (the brick building at the
left is the rear of the Ambassador Theatre). Gone are houses built on the estate from 1905 through to the
1950s, and in the distance was once where golfers strode out across the greens between the Chamberlain Park
holes.
Photograph courtesy Jean Jones.

I was asked the other day about old boundaries between Pt Chevalier and Mt Albert. Today, bounda-
ries have been simplified with the coming of the motorway, SH16, through part of Pt Chevalier:
north of the motorway is still Pt Chevalier, south is Mt Albert. Before then, though, the boundary ran
through the grounds of Pt Chevalier (Gladstone) School, between Monaghan Ave and Seaview Ter-
race off Carrington Road. The whole of the old Sutherland Estate (see previous issue) was Pt Cheva-
lier. This is about the southern part of that estate; Sutherland and Parr Roads, and the Great North
Road properties from Carrington Road to what was once Chamberlain golf course. (continued next
page)

Next meeting of the Pt Chevalier History Group


This is to be held at the Walsh Memorial Library, MOTAT,
10.30 am, Thursday 25 June 2009
Next issue due out June 2009
Contact Lisa Truttman (editor) : 19 Methuen Road, Avondale, Auckland 0600,phone (09) 828-8494
or email historian@avondale.org.nz
Great North Road At 1048 Great North Road, Anderson sold the
property to Harold Frederick Lowndes, a contrac-
In 1925, Hellabys transferred Lots 1-8 and 27 tor, who built a bungalow in 1929. This was sold
(see plan below), formerly used by their com- to a carpenter named Percy Sawyer. From around
pany as grazing land, to Colin Woollam Ander- 1938, Nurse Annie Sophia Gillender Pohlen set
son. Now, Anderson had no direct association up the St Catherine’s Maternity Home, purchas-
with the district, other than he owned the land ing the property outright from Sawyer in 1943.
and sold it off for development and profit. But he From 1944, she was joined by Mary Elizabeth
was a notorious character in his own right. He Pohlen, and the maternity home operated until
arrived in Auckland, via Africa, accompanied by c.1973, according to file references in the Ar-
a wealthy Englishwoman bearing a title but to chives NZ database. Annie Pohlen died in 1976,
whom he was not married. They set up home in while Mary Pohlen died in 1989. Folks still know
Tamaki House, said to have been one of the the home best as “Nurse Pohlen’s”. (My thanks
largest and most luxurious houses in New to L. E. Elliott for sending me two early birth
Zealand. Anderson became director and manager notices showing births at Nurse Pohlen’s, as well
of the Civic Theatre, where his lover died after a as photos.)
fall down some stairs. After a series of losses in
social standing, the manic depressive Anderson At around No. 1104, a factory was built c.1953
committed suicide in the same mansion. by McClymont Confectionery Ltd. This was de-
veloped in the 1990s into the shopping complex
His Pt Chevalier property was sold off during the there today (Mad Butcher, etc.)
mid to late 1920s. At 1040 Great North Road, a
wooden house named “Gonzeaucourt” was built. 1136-1138 Great North Road was just an empty
section until Henry John Lyon built a workshop

DP 2300, copyright Land


Information NZ.
there in 1926. The site was purchased in 1943 by
the Pt Chevalier Returned Ex-Serviceman’s
Assn., with their own developments between
1944-1972, and further in 1992. Between there
and Parr Road, wood houses and sheds predomi-
nated. The Church of Church owned the corner at
1170-1172 Great North Road, but never built on
it. Instead, it was sold, and the buyer built a wood
and brick house there.
At 1186 Great North Road, an iron shop and
sheds was owned by Mrs. Ada Taylor from
c.1935. According to NZ Map 1294 at Special
Collections, for the Liverpool Estate, Pt Cheva-
lier’s early post and telegraph office (c.1915) was
a building around 1196 Great North Road. At
No. 1200, a brick shop and lockup served as Ar-
thur Sydney Watkin’s butcher shop in 1921, pur-
chased by Hellabys in 1924, and then served as a
general store owned by Jens Peter Paulson from
1937. At 1208, a wooden house owned by Hally-
burton Johnstone in 1920 was shifted once the
ASB bought the site, making way for the ASB Nurse A. Pohlen outside her private maternity
Bank building in the 1930s. Hallyburton also hospital, Great North Road. B. R. Elliott Photo,
owned land on which the Ambassador Theatre courtesy L. E. Elliott.
came to be built c. 1929.
house, another c.1905 villa, was at 26 Carrington
Nos. 1224-1234 were empty allotments until c. Road.
1926 when William Paget built a brick grocer’s
Thomas James McIvor was born in 1857 in
shop at 1232, then W.H. and Amy De Luen built
Auckland. He learnt the upholstering trade from
two wooden shops at 1224-1228 in 1930, and
the firm of T. & H. Cook, and then struck out on
finally a brick shop was built at 1234.
his own. In the nineteenth century, upholsterers
Finally, at 1238 Great North, Lawrence Cyril were among the number of trades which evolved
Moore Wilson operated a grocers store on the into the business of funeral undertaking — others
site as at 1920. This may have been a building were carriers (carrying the coffins), furnishers
used as refreshment rooms back when the Liver- (building the coffins — Battersby’s of Avondale
pool Estate across the road (see last issue) was is an example), and florists. McIvor’s funeral
being subdivided and sold from 1915 onward. parlour was on Karangahape Road. He was a
This would make the small corner store one of Pt member of the Grey Lynn Bowling Club from
Chevalier’s early buildings, and a survivor from 1908, and owned land at Blockhouse Bay possi-
the first shops here. In 1922, Ernest James Bright bly for holidays from 1894-1901, but he was a Pt
bought the business, while Wilson remained as Chevalier resident.
owner of the building, and in 1952 concrete addi-
Parr and Sutherland Roads were dedicated c.1907
tions were added along the Carrington Road
by Alexander Sutherland. Auckland City Li-
frontage.
brary’s website has the suggestion that Parr Road
Carrington Road is named for C. J. Parr — but he wasn’t Mayor of
Auckland until 1911, and an MP later still. Per-
Heading down from the grocer’s store, at No. 14 haps Parr simply had some personal meaning for
there was a villa dating from c.1905. This was the Sutherland family.
demolished when the motorway construction
went through from the 1960s. Then came a The southern corner with Carrington Road was
swathe of land, to the corner with Sutherland purchased in 1906 by the Colonial Ammunition
Street, and on down towards Parr Road, owned Company (famous for the shot tower still existing
by T. J. McIvor until his death in 1937. His at Mt Eden). In 1907, however, they sold their
The new motorway, c.1981. Carrington Road Bridge,
looking east. Photograph courtesy Jean Jones.

site to the Crown for mental hospital purposes, motorway.


and the Wolfe Bequest Home was built there 15 Parr Road, 1909 wood house. Gone to the
(and on additional land purchased by the Crown motorway.
direct from Sutherland in 1907). In 1899, a 17 Parr Road, a brick house built in 1950. Gone
gentleman of means named Arthur E. Wolfe, to the motorway.
living in Whangarei, died and left £2300 to both 19 Parr Road, a 1925 wood house. Gone to the
the Auckland general hospital and the mental motorway.
hospital. Cabinet accepted a tender of over £6000 21 Parr Road, 1925 wood house. Gone to the
in 1909 to build the Wolfe Bequest Reception motorway.
Hospital. The original building was completed by 23 Parr Road, 1924 wood house, converted to 2
October 1911. During World War I, the home flats 1963. Gone to the motorway.
was used to accommodate returned soldiers, but 30 Parr Road, c.1915 villa. Gone to the
returned to being part of the mental hospital in motorway, 1980.
the 1920s. 20 Parr Road, concrete amd wood house built
1948. Gone to the motorway.
From 21 Sutherland through to No. 39, a series of 18 Parr Road, c.1910 villa. Gone to the
villas were built from c.1905-c.1910. These, motorway.
along with a sole survivor along Parr Road close 16 Parr Road, 1955 wood house. Gone to the
to the motorway, are all that remain of the pre- motorway.
1920s development of the southern part of the 14 Parr Road, 1925 wood house. Gone to the
Sutherland Estate. motorway.
Most affected by the motorway was Parr Road.
Lisa J. Truttman
Viewing the valuation field sheets at Auckland
City Archives was somewhat saddening.
No. 7 Parr Road had a wood house built in 1945, Sources:
and converted to two flats in 1949. It was taken Auckland City Archives, valuation field sheets.
in 1979 by the Public Works Department and Land Information New Zealand
demolished. Archway, Archives NZ database
11 Parr Road, a 1927 wood house. Demolished Papers Past, National Library of NZ
June 1970. Auckland City Libraries
13 Parr Road, 1923 wood house. Gone to the

Related Interests