You are on page 1of 2

Plot 7: John Neal Bethell John N Bethell is best known for his land at Bethell’s Beach (Te Henga).

He lived in New Lynn for a time, then early in the 20th century shifted to Avondale where he died 1943 aged 87. Plot 10: Billett family Leonard Johns Billett served in the Samoa Advance Party, of the (3rd) Auckland regiment (Countess of Ranfurly's Own) in 1914. After his service and return to Auckland, he served with the 22nd reinforcements. He died in 1924, aged 28. His father Sidney Richards Billett was one of the first members of the St Johns Ambulance brigade in Auckland, and was one of the oldest members of the Auckland Wrestling Association, attending the earliest matches held in the concert chamber of the Town Hall.

Plot 11: Ingram Family Includes memorial to William Ralston Ingram, killed at Passchendaele in 1917.

Plot 14: Wickham Family John Rushley Wickham arrived in Auckland by the ship Devonshire on 7 February 1863, the day on which HMS Orpheus was lost on the Manukau Bar. The Wickhams were in Avondale by 1884. John Wickham was one of our earliest butchers. By the 1890s, he served on the Board of Managers for the Avondale Presbyterian Church. Plot 15: Henry (died 1933) and Mary Ann Bloxham (died 1932) The Bloxhams were part of the Government Special Settlement at Herakino in Northland in 1887. The settlers there faced privations, including starvation and isolation due to lack of roads and supplies. One daughter of the Bloxhams is said to have been the first white child born at Herakino.

St Ninians Cemetery

Row D
Plot 1: Rev. David Hamilton First burial in the cemetery, 23 July 1873. Minister of the Whau Presbyterian Church, he became lost and disorientated in the bush between Huia and Whatipu, and died after falling into a creek. Plot 2: Sinclair Family John Boyd McMillan Sinclair, died 1887 aged 28, was an early storekeeper at Swanson. James Paterson Sinclair Jr. subdivided property at “Sinclair Square” (now Himikera Street) in Avondale. Plot 4: Duncan family In 1882, George Robert Duncan Jr. suffocated beneath a collapse of a clay bank at his father’s brickworks near Henderson. Plot 8: Walker Family Young Freddy Walker, aged 2, drowned in a waterhole at Waikomiti in 1884. His mother Alma died after being struck by a motor car in Avondale in 1932.

St Ninians Church and its cemetery
The church itself was first built in 1859-1860. What remains of its original structure is the oldest surviving building in Avondale. The land where the cemetery is situated was initially part of the vast area of paddocks around the church, but when Rev. David Hamilton died in July 1873 and was buried close to the church, the cemetery began. It was closed to new burials in 1914, but those families who had plots continued to use it up to the end of the 1960s. In the early 1980s the church closed, and both the building and the cemetery were sold to Auckland City Council. For more information: sites.google.com/site/stniniansofavondale/ digitalcemetery

17-19 St Georges Road Avondale, Auckland
Avondale-Waterview Historical Society

Row A
Plot 1: McKenzie Family Grave of the so-called “Danish Princess”, Jessie Hort Huxham McKenzie, and Rev. Alexander McKenzie, minister to the Avondale Presbyterian Church, 1880s. Plot 2: Nesbitt Family Robert Nesbitt (1828-1911) served in the 65th regiment during the Land Wars of the 1860s, and received the New Zealand Medal. His son Robert Benjamin Nesbitt (buried at Rotorua) was Chairman of the Avondale Road Board 1916-1920. Plot 3: Walter & Rachel Chisholm The Chisholms worked in stores in the South Island, before moving to Mauriceville where they were conned by a “gypsy woman”. They came to Avondale in their retirement. Plot 7: Rev. William Hill Philip Served as minister on the Falkland Islands for 8 years, then Wellington, Pahiatua, Manaia, before suffering a breakdown in health in 1905. Plot 9: Thomas Andrews (d. 1925, aged 90) & his wife Emma Thomas Andrews was a veteran of the Indian Mutiny, later stationed at Canada at the time of the American Civil War. Museum. A Justice of the Peace, Mr Entrican was an associate of the Children’s Court for 20 years. He was also a founder and, for 20 years, a director of the Auckland Co-operative Terminating Building Society. Plot 6: Forsyth Family William Forsyth was the builder of the Whau Public Hall in 1867, second oldest surviving building in Avondale. He also built a schoolhouse in Titirangi in 1873. By 1890, as a carpenter/builder, he moved on to become Avondale's earliest resident undertaker. Plot 7: Coutanche Family One of the early settlers who gardened on the Avondale Flat was Elie Coutanche. He purchased the two 4-acres blocks on the corners of Rosebank Road and what is now Mead Street. By March 1890, when he married Lucy Loines at St Paul's in Central Auckland, he was established as a market gardener in Avondale. He sold produce by hawking from a horse and cart at least as far as Symonds Street. He erected glasshouses that

stood for over a hundred years with many rebuilds and repairs. In these he grew grapes, some of which were supplied to Government House in Princes Street (now part of the university campus.)

Row C
Plot 3 & 9: Burrow family The Burrow family lived at New Windsor from 1892, until possibly just after Mary's death in 1906. The farm was known as "Firbank". John Burrow was a watchmaker and jeweller, working in Queen Street next to the Albert Hotel. Mary died of blood poisoning, caused by the prick of a thorn. John Burrow later remarried, and moved to Pukekohe, where he and his second wife are buried. Plot 4: Archibald and Grace Chalmers Archibald (a brickmaker) and Grace Chalmers were two of the earliest homeowners in the Methuen Hamlet. In 1914, they were able to obtain title to their villa at 180 Blockhouse Bay Road, which still stands (as at September 2013). Archibald worked at J J Craig’s brickworks, St Georges Road, and took part in a 1902 brickmakers’ dispute. Plot 5: Redshaw Family An early farmer on the Rosebank Peninsula, John Redshaw grew wattles for the Gittos tannery in the late 1880s. Plot 6: Ingram family Christopher Ingram came to Avondale to erect the machinery for the brick works established by William Hunt in 1882. He became manager of the works, remaining in that position through the various changes of ownership until 1918, when failing health necessitated his retirement. Mr Ingram was a prominent worker in the Avondale Presbyterian Church, being for many years both manager and elder, and for over 20 years superintendent of the Sunday School.

Row B
Plot 4: Entrican family James Cuthbertson Entrican, a director of A J Entrican, Sims and Co, Ltd, served on the Devonport Borough Council, and was a member of the council of the Auckland Institute and Museum. A keen numismatist, he was elected a fellow of the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand in 1949. He donated his collection of coins and medals to the Old Colonists