This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
pre-eminent man, with a desire to commence creation. This first incarnation of Lord Vishnu was full of all the sixteen Kalas (Supernatural powers). Lord Brahma manifested from the navel of Lord Vishnu in his (Lord Vishnu) state of Yoganidra (deep meditation). The creation as well as the expansion of the creation commenced from the organs of Lord Brahma. The first incarnation of Lord Vishnu is all-powerful, which can be seen only by the yogins and sages who have attained divine knowledge. This incarnation is also the indestructible seed from which all the other incarnations manifest themselves. During the time of final annihilation of the world, every creation merges into him.
2) THE ETERNAL YOUTHS : Sanatkumar was the 'Manasputra' (born by a wish) of Lord Brahma. Throughout his life, he maintained celibacy; and engaged himself in the performance of tremendous penance. He was the one from whom the Brahmins got the inspiration regarding the values and importance of penance and Celibacy.
3) VARAHA AVATAR (The incarnation as a Boar) : Lord Vishnu took his third incarnation as a boar. In this incarnation Lord Vishnu rescued the earth which had submerged in the ocean, and brought it out from the ocean. The whole creation started only after that. A demon by the name of Hiranyaksha had abducted the earth and carried it to the 'Rasatala' (the second lowest of the world). The earth is considered to be as a 'Woman' and since it is a crime to abduct a woman therefore Lord Vishnu in his incarnation of a boar killed the demon Hiranyaksha and liberated the earth from his clutches.
4) NARADA Lord Vishnu took his becoming a 'Devarishi' of his Karma's discourses to the 'Pancharatra Tantra'. Lord Vishnu in his is the best mean of 'Karma's'. He also said among the devotees in
AVATAR (The incarnation as Sage Narada) : fourth incarnation as Narada. Narada by among all the sages, achieved liberation from all (action). Narada was the one who gave Vaishnavas (followers of Lord Vishnu) on incarnation as Narada, showed that, the devotion getting liberated from all the bondages of that a devotee of Lord Vishnu is the supreme the same way as Devarishi Narada among the
an unmarried girl. He had rescued a 'Devagana' (celestial and supernatural being) named Yama and also the Manvantar named as 'Swayambhuva'. . a man can learn from each and every thing. He performed a tremendous penance by going to Badri and Kedar. He was the one who had given Spiritual Knowledge to King Alarka and Prahlada. 9) RISHABH AVATAR (Incarnation as Rishabh Dev) : Lord Vishnu in his ninth incarnation as Rishabh Dev was born to king Nabhi and Marudevi. 8) YAGYA AVATAR (Incarnation as Yagya): Lord Vishnu in his eighth incarnation as Yagya was born to Prajapati and Akuti. The objective of this incarnation was to compile all the divine knowledge that had been destroyed. so he accepted twenty-four objects like water. who had forgotten their duties to rectify their mistakes. and even a prostitute etc. bird. He was the profounder of Sankhya Shastra (rationalism) which helped the Brahmins. He showed the importance Penance (Labour). The main thrust of his teaching was based on the values of helpfulness and protecting each other during the time of crisis. His followers are known as Jains. air.Sages. 7) DATTATRAYA AVATAR (Incarnation as Dattatraya) : Lord Vishnu's Seventh incarnation was as Dattatraya. He was born to Ansuya and his father was Sage Atri. He also gave discourse to his own mother. His mother Marudevi was the daughter of Indra. and also that nothing can be achieved in this world without it. He attained that state of Paramhansa (an ascetic of highest order who has controlled his anger) which is an uphill task. He believed that in the world. He had twenty four teachers. 6) KAPILA AVATAR(Incarnation as Sage Kapila) : Lord Vishnu's Sixth incarnation was as sage Kapila. 5) NARA-NARAYANA AVATAR (Incarnation as Nara-Narayana) : Lord Vishnu took his fifth incarnation as sage Nara-Narayan by taking a birth from the womb of a woman named 'Kala'. He was given the title of 'Jin' which means a ' a knower'.
held the mountain 'Mandarachala' on his back. during the time when the deities and the demons where churning the ocean. because the earth has remained full of vegetation's after that. 13) DHANVANTARI (Incarnation as Dhanvantari) : Lord Vishnu took his thirteenth incarnation as Dhanvantari. Lord Vishnu in his 11th incarnation as a Matsya (Fish) rescued the earth from 'Maya' the demon. The earth had concealed all the vegetation's within her and as a result the whole land had become barren. Lord Vishnu took incarnation as Prithu by milking the cow (earth). To protect the humanity. He also showed them his illusionary powers. This was Lord Vishnu's twelfth incarnation. while they were sitting on the boat. Lord Vishnu took this incarnation as per the wishes of the sages. 11) MATSYA AVATAR (Incarnation as a Fish) : All the oceans had unified into a single ocean in the 'Manvantara' of 'Chakshusha'.10) PRITHU AVATAR (Incarnation as Prithu) : Lord Vishnu in his tenth incarnation as 'Prithu' came into existence after the body of King 'Vena'. He stopped the mountain from going to the netherworld. He manifested from the ocean holding a vessel filled with ambrosia. 12) KACHCHAP AVATAR (Incarnation as a Tortoise) : Lord Vishnu in his twelfth incarnation as a tortoise. He gave discourses to Satyavrat along with the seven sages. This is considered that as a very supreme incarnation. He was the profounder of medicinal science. 14) MOHINI AVATAR (Incarnation as a most Enchanting woman) : Lord Vishnu in his fourteenth incarnation as a most enchanting woman enchanted the demons by his beautiful . This was his eleventh incarnation.
In this incarnation he protected Prahlada from his father Hiranyakashipu the demon. He killed Hiranyakashipu by tearing his body apart by his nails. Lord Vishnu had to attain this form because Lord Brahma had blessed Hiranyakashipu. Indra and all the other deities were wandering all around after losing the heaven. 17) VAMAN AVATAR (Incarnation as a Dwarf) : Lord Vishnu took his seventeenth incarnation as a Dwarf. In this incarnation his face resembled that of a horse and the rest of his body resembled that of Sri Narayan with all of his four hands. A demon who used to live near him in disguise. when Bali the king of the demons had captured the entire three worlds. abducted the Vedas. To help the deities regain control over the heaven. Lord Vishnu took his sixteenth incarnation as Hayagreeva to protect the Vedas. All the four Vedas came out from his opened mouth. Because of his tiredness Lord Brahma yawned. that a Human being could not kill him. Ultimately he regained heaven for the deities. he transformed his form from a small dwarf to a giant. and took away the pot filled up with ambrosia from them and gave it to the deities. having upper portion of his body in the form of lion and the lower portion resembling of a man. The deities were thus protected from the demons. When 'Bali' agreed. 16) HAYAGREEVA AVATAR (Incarnation as Hayagreeva) : Once Lord Brahma becoming tired of his creative activities. He killed the demon and protected the Vedas. wanted to rest. 15) NARSIMHA AVATAR (Incarnation in the form of half-man and half-lion) : Lord Vishnu took his fifteenth incarnation as Nrisimha. Lord Vishnu disguised as a dwarf went to Bali when he was busy performing a 'Yagya' and demanded earth measured by his three steps. Consequently he covered all the three world with his two steps.appearance of a woman. The night of the Brahma was approaching. .
He made the division of Veda. His father was sage Parashar. 21) BALARAM AVATAR (Incarnation as considered to be the twenty-first incarnation incarnation he killed Pralambasura the demon demons. In this and he killed many more .18) PARSHURAM AVATAR (Incarnation as Parshurama) : When the Kshatriya kings became ruthless and started exploiting their subjects. He also wrote eighteen Mahapuranas and the Mahabharata. 20) RAM AVATAR (Incarnation as Lord Rama) : Lord Rama is considered to be the twentieth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. He taught the value of morality. 19) VYAS AVATAR (Incarnation as Sage Vyas) : Lord Vishnu took his nineteenth incarnation as Sage Vyasa by taking birth from the womb of 'Satyavati'. and made extension of its branches. Balrama) : Balrama is of Lord Vishnu. Kumbhakarna. He accomplished many astonishing feats and saved the deities. In this incarnation he constructed a bridge over the ocean with the help of the Vanars (monkeys) and after crossing over to Lankas killed many demons like Ravana. Lord Vishnu took his eighteenth incarnation as Parshurama' and annihilated the Kshatriyas kings for seventeen times and consequently donated the earth to the Brahmins.
In the Kaliyuga the demons were completely subjugated by the deities. Fearing this the deities prayed to Lord Vishnu for help. He gave a divine knowledge to Arjun during the battle of Kurukshetra.com/24avataars.urday. He would take birth in a Brahmin family of Vishnuyash. Jarasandh etc.html http://www. he would re-establish the superiority of Virtuosity and religiousness. He fought against the exploitation right from his childhood and killed many demons like Kalayavan. Lord Vishnu took incarnation as Buddha and dissuaded the demons from performing Yagya as it involves violence the demons stopped performing Yagyas.htm . http://vicharvandana. when the sins would be 80.tripod. Shukracharya the teacher of the demons instigated the demons to perform Yagya so that they could regain power and authority. 23) BUDDHA AVATAR (Incarnation as Buddha) : The twenty-third incarnation of Lord Vishnu was as Lord Buddha.22) KRISHNA AVATAR (Incarnation as Krishna) : Lord Krishna born in Mathura was the twenty-second incarnation of Lord Vishnu. 24) KALKI AVATAR (Incarnation as Kalki) : At the end of Kaliyuga. all pervading that the kings would themselves becomes thieves then Lord Vishnu would take his twenty-fourth incarnation as Kalki by taking birth in the village of 'Shambhal'.com/24avtaar6. Kansa. By killing and destroying the sinners.
4. Of all the three Deities only Lord Vishnu incarnates or avtars to save his devotees from the evil forces and reestablish religion. Lord Shiva: the Destroyer. 6. Lord Vishnu: the Preservor. 7. These 24 Avatars include Popular Dashavtaras. Lord Brahaman: the creator. Lord Shiva and Lord Brahaman are not believed to incarnate. 3. The 24 Avatars are as under. 8.24 Avataras (Incarnation) of Lord Vishnu There are three deities in Hindu religion. Kalki Avatar Is yet to take place in kaliyuga. 5. 2. Adi Purush Avatar (pre-eminent man) Sanat Kumara – Brahma Manasaputra Varaha Avatar (boar incarnation) Narada Avatar Nara Narayana Avatar Kapila Avatar Dattatreya Avatar (Datta Avatara) Yagya Avatar – Yagna born to Prajapati and Akuti Rishabh Avatar – Rishabhadeva Avatar . 1. There are believed 24 incarnation of Lord Visnu of which 23 had already taken place and 24th i.e. 9.
14. Lord Vishnu took this avatara to save his devotee Prahalad from his cruel father Hrianyakashipu. 4. . Parsurama who killed Karatvirya Arjuna Having thousand arms also known as Sahasrabahu arjuna. Kurma or the Tortoise Avatar which helped in the Samundra manthan and its story comes in the Kurma Purana. 11. 24. Gautam Budha 10 Kalki Avatar. 16. Vaman Avatar or The Dwarf. Dashavataras The popular dashavataras are as under 1. 18. Its story can be found in Matsya Purana 2. Prithu Avatar Matsya Avatar – Fish incarnation Kurma Avatar or Kachchap Avatar – Tortoise incarnation Dhanvantari avatar – the Lord of medicine Mohini avatar – incarnation as a most enchanting woman Narasimha avatar – incarnation in the form of half-man and half-lion Hayagreeva avatar – incarnation with horse face Vamana avatar – incarnation as a dwarf Parshurama avatar Vyas avatar – Veda Vyasa incarnation Sri Rama avatar Balarama avatar Sri Krishna avatar Buddha avatar Kalki avatar – Lord Vishnu will be incarnated as Kalki at the end of the Kaliyuga. 23. 21. 6. this avatara was taken to subdue Raja Bali (grandson of Prahlad) of Ashuras. 5. 22. 12. Varah or the Boar Avatara which rescued the earth from its kidnapper Hiranyaksha by killing him. Lord Rama 8. 17. 3. 15. 7. Narsimha the half man and half lion avatar. 19. Lord Krishna Narrated Bhagwad Geeta to Arjuna in the Famous battle of Maha Bharata.10. 20. 13. Its story comes is Vaman Purana. Story of varah is in Varah Purana. 9. Natysa or fish avatara which saved Manu and Vedas when the whole earth drowned in flood.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.