You are on page 1of 9

History of All Burma Federation of Student Unions (ABFSU)

All Burma Students’ Union (1936-1951)

In Burma, a common democratic ideology links student movements and popular struggles. This link was formed
through the fight against colonialism and fascism, and strengthened through the national independence movement and
the ongoing revolution against the military dictatorship. Students in Burma have always stood on the side of the
people whenever a conflict between the oppressors and the oppressed has taken place.
Burmese students and the student unions have always admired and honored this tradition. The students‟ commitment
to truth, the tenacity of their beliefs, and their sacrifices for those beliefs are known as „"student ethics" or "morals of
fighting peacock." The fighting peacock is a symbol of student unions of Burma.
In 1931, the Rangoon University Students‟ Union (RUSU) was formed as a social organization. The Union was
formed with the following aims:

(1) to be able to live in a society where one can work for better living standards of the society,

(2) to be able to live a life in which one can depend upon oneself and work independently,

(3) to make people realize their responsibilities and duties.

The Union stood for independence of thought and the ability to talk freely of thoughts and ideas.

In 1935, our independence hero Ko Aung San and his friends Ko Nu (later the first democratically elected Prime
Minister of Burma), Ko Thein Pe (later the General Secretary of Communist Party of Burma), and Ko Kyaw Nyein
(later the Deputy Prime Minister) became the leaders of the RUSU and led the second university students‟ strike
against British colonial rule. On May 8, 1936 the first students‟ conference was held in Rangoon. Organized by
RUSU, it marked the formation of the All Burma Students‟ Union (ABSU). During that conference, Ko Yarship was
elected as Chairman and Ko Aung San was elected as Vice Chairman of the ABSU. In 1948, the civil war started and
in 1949, a strike against the Anti-Fascist Peoples' Freedom League (AFPFL) government took place. The Students'
Union also participated.

ABSU as ABSFU (1951-1962)

In 1951, the All Burma Students‟ Union (ABSU) changed its name to the All Burma Federation of Student Unions
(ABFSU) by joining the Rangoon University Students‟ Union and the Rangoon District Students‟ Union. It fought
against the colonial system, for internal peace, and democracy and to build up a national education system.

In 1953, the Strike to Close the University for One month in October took place, and in the university area the first
sound of gun shots was heard during the AFPFL government. Twenty-nine students were imprisoned, thirty were
expelled from the universities for life and ten were expelled for one year.

In March, 1956, the seventh standard questions were supposed to have leaked out and the Harry Tan Incident took
place. The students body was shot at and the seventh standard student Harry Tan died. This was the first time that the
blood of a student fell on the ground after Independence during the period of the AFPFL Government.

In October, 1956, the AFPFL government announced that the students' Union would have to be abolished within thirty
days. This was the highest form of oppression against the democratic rights of the students so that the students went
on a strike. Twenty-six students from the whole of Burma were imprisoned and 256 students were expelled.

In 1958, the 10th Anniversary of the internal Peace Strike took place and the students, including students from
ABSFU, participated.

During the Sixth Conference of the ABFSU in 1960, the five policies and three flags of the organization were adopted
unanimously in order to work for a democratic educational system, safeguarding student rights, democracy, internal
peace and national reconciliation.
ABSFU in the Era of Caretaker Government and the Revolutionary Council (1962-1988)

On 2 March, 1962, a man named General Ne Win took control of state power for the second time. The 11 th Co-
conference of the Army Commanders was held at the Yatanabon Naval Base on 30 April, 1962.

On 4 May, 1962, the leaders of the All Burma Federation of Students' Union (ABFSU) discussed the case of a student
who had been expelled from his hostel because he did not get on well his warder. In 1963, the Burmese and English
curriculum of the high school examination was changed.

On 9 May, 1962, Pioneer Ko Mya Than, Ko Thet, Ko Tha Ban and Ko Zaw Win were arrested for demonstrating at
the Dutch Embassy. Ne Win told the University Council that as the teachers had misbehaved and among the students
there was political influence, the University Council had to be abolished. The Union commented that the governing
body of the university had been taken over by the Revolutionary Council.

On 11 May,1962, the Rangoon University Rector Dr. Tha Hla handed in his resignation and the Burmese Professor U
Aye Maung retired; U Wun (Minthuwun) changed his faculty. On 12 May, 1962, some wardens and assistant wardens
from the Rangoon University hostels resigned. On 17 May, 1962 the Revolutionary Council's order No.30 was
announced and the University Council was reformed. The Adipadi (Chancellor) was Brigadier General Than Pe,
Brigadier General San Yu, Col. Than Sein and Col. Tin Soe were included. The Rector was the former Education
Minister U Kar of the 1958 Caretaker Government.

On 26 May, 1962 five tutorial schools were closed down due to the leakage of questions.

On 18 June, 1962 more unjust rules of the hostels were announced. For example, the people who ate vegetarian food
were not allowed to eat it for one or two days unless they ate it the whole year.

On 2 July, 1962 the high school leaving examination was abolished. The All Burma Federation of Students' Union
(ABFSU) requested a discussion with the authorities.

On 3 July, 1962 in the hall of the Union there was a meeting to discuss the abolition of the system of education, and
the unjust hostel rules.

On 4 July, 1962, the embryonic Burmese Socialist Programme Party (BSPP) was formed.

On 5th July, 1962, a strike at the Dutch Embassy was carried out by three big unions. The military authorities then
stated that the people involved in the strike did not really represent the unions. The Students' Union felt that the
statement made their Union appeared insignificant so they objected.

On 6 July, 1962, the Revolutionary Council reformed the University Senate and the Hostel Committee according to
their wishes.

On 7 July, 1962, at 1:00 p.m. the Students' Union held a meeting to discuss the reform and after that the students went
on a protest march through the university campus. At first the Security Police (Lone Htein) arrived and they tried to
control the situation by throwing tear gas. In the evening at about 5:30 p.m. two army trucks arrived and along
Mandalay Hall, Ramanya Hall and Chancellor Road the soldiers started shooting at the students with automatic
rifles. The soldiers were from No. 4 Burmese Rifles Battalion and the shooting order was 3 minutes shooting 2
minutes rest and 3 minutes shooting.

The military government declared that 17 students died, but in Mandalay Hall alone more than 17 students died
according to the official records and altogether over a hundred students died. Ko Kyaw Win, a student from Myaung-
Mya had written on the wall of Mandalay Hall with blood from his body "7-7-62, do not forget it". Ko Kyaw Win had
taken refuge at the Union Building.

On 8 July, 1962, at dawn the Union Building, which had a prominent standing in the history of Burmese
Independence, was destroyed by dynamite because the military government had said that it was the headquarters of
the above ground communists and the refuge place of the student leaders. It was an act which had not even been
committed by the colonialist foreign government. It was bloodthirsty fascists who had cruelly destroyed the Union
building by dynamite. Ko Kyaw Win of Myaung-Mya, who was in bed with injuries, had been blown up together with
the building.
The next morning at 8 a.m. when the news was announced from the radio, the military dictator called General Ne Win
said, referring to the students' uprising, "If it was done purposely to oppose us, I have nothing more to say except that
we will face them with sword against sword, and spear against spear, that is the only solution." With these words he
insulted the students and the people en masse.

When the university reopened in November, in the place of old Union Building a hut was built temporarily; and along
with the Bo Aung Gyaw Monument, a stone monument was built, 77 inches in length and 62 inches in breadth. In
memory of the students who died on 7-7-62, because more than hundred students had died, it was named "Yar Gyaw
Kyauk Taing", which means "The Monument for Over Hundred Students".

However, before long there were protest rallies "to stop the civil war" and "to have peace within the country", and
together with the over hundred students‟ monument, the temporary hut was again destroyed.

Later, it was secretly decided to re-establish the Union and the Students' Affairs Committee. And in 1966 it existed in
all kind of guises. Some even went into the armed forces and fought against the military dictatorship till today.

Therefore, the history of the post-war students' movement had various levels of significance:

1. It was the continuation of the students' movement under the colonialist era, still trying to perform the unfinished

2. It was a segment of the Peoples' fighting against the colonialist, for complete national independence, and to fight to
maintain national independence.

3. It was the history of the fight of the students and the people for peace within the country, so that they could study

4. It was the history of the protection of the rights of the students and the rights of democracy in general.

5. It was the history of the fight to end the topsy-turvy Educational System and to establish a National Educational

In 1964, when all associations, organizations, clubs, etc, were declared null and void, the Students' Union
automatically became an underground organization.

The Underground Movements of ABSFU

After 1964, some student leaders joined the armed revolution groups. Most of them joined the Communist Party of
Burma and some joined the ethnic armed Revolutionary Groups, and some were imprisoned and tortured by the
military regime (Revolutionary Council).

In 1969, the political prisoners and the student leaders were sent to Coco island. At Coco island, there was a hunger
strike and eight prisoners died; among them, from Prome (Pyi) district, the student leader Ko Chit Swe was himself
famous in the history of the Students' Union by going on hunger strike for 55 days.

On 1 December 1969, after the uprising of the South East Asia Peninsular (S.E.A.P) Games in Rangoon, Mandalay
and Moulmein, some students from all the universities were expelled and some were imprisoned.

In 1970, the Golden Jubilee of the Rangoon University was celebrated. And the history of the 1962, 7 July was
written, printed and published. Before the Golden Jubilee Celebrations ended all the universities were closed down.
Many students were imprisoned and some were expelled.

In June,1974, there was a Burma Workers' Strike and some workers from the Textile Factory in Thamaing and
Sinmalike Dockyard died from gun shots.. In that movement the students from ABSFU and other students‟ unions had

In December, 1974, there was the incident of U Thant's (former General-Secretary of the United Nations) Funeral and
over 5,000 people were detained, including monks, students and the people, and they were sentenced from 3 years to 7
years under military tribunals. And the schools were closed for four months.
On 6 June, 1975, the students and the workers held a commemoration ceremony. From then onwards there were
strikes and over 250 were detained. From middle school students up to university students were sentenced to
imprisonment of from 4 years to 9 years under military tribunals. The schools were again closed for nearly seven

On 23 March, 1976, the centenary celebrations of the birthday of the famous national writer and winner of the Starlin
Peace Prize Thakhin Ko Daw Hmaing were held. Yin-pwint-than Ni-dan, meaning “The Chronicle of the Preface of
Unburden Feelings” was published, criticizing the educational system devised by the Burmese Socialist Programme
Party (BSPP) to suit its own purposes. From various universities, over two hundred and thirty students were detained
and were sentenced from 5 years to 14 years of imprisonment under military tribunals. Hundreds of students from
universities all over the country were expelled for life. When they were expelled the Burmese Socialist Programme
Party's student affairs unit called the parents of students to the party unit office and gave them certificates from the
universities they were attending signed by the Rector saying that they had been expelled because they had committed
political crimes.

A Chin national, Ko Tin Maung Oo, a student from the Rangoon Arts & Science University (RASU) was given a death
sentence; he was hanged in Insein Prison sometime in June, 1976. Ko Tin Maung Oo was the first person to be given
a death sentence after Burma's Independence under the government which was formed by the constitution of 1974, for
which 90% of the public had voted.

In 1976-77-78, the workers and students who were imprisoned inside the Insein prison had gone on hunger strike
asking for prisoners' rights. Thus they had fought on wherever they were.

The military junta tortured the students' and workers' leaders by sending them to completely dark cells, military dog
cells, and Leper cells. On 13 February, 1977, they went on hunger strike for 6 days and on 16 August, 1977, when
they went on hunger strike for the second time for 10 days, the military authorities cut off their water supplies as well.

In 1978, "A-Yay Daw Pon Thamaing", meaning, “The History of Incidents”, a history of the uprising and the 7 July
incident was published by old student union members, from the years of 74-75-76. The old student union leaders from
All Burma Federation of Student Unions, Rangoon Institute of Technology(RIT) students and students from the
Institute of Medicine No(2) were detained, altogether about 50 students.

In 1986, the new generation students secretly and actively begin to move for the re-establishment of the Students'
Union. They circulated pamphlets to re-kindle the spirit of the Union and its heritage.

In September, 1987, there was a strike because the government had demonetized the paper money unjustly.

8888 Uprisings and ABFSU

The student leaders promoted a set of ten demands for the restoration of a democratic in Burma. Following that
decision, Rangoon Institute of Technology (now Yangon Technological University) students, protested inside their
Rangoon campus. In response, the military killed the student activist, Ko Phone Maw, and other five students in front
of the YTU‟s main building on 13 March, 1988. The Burmese Socialist Programme Party (BSPP) government
declared that only one person had died from an injury inflicted by a sharp weapon. But on that day Ko Phone Maw,
Ko Soe Naing, Ko Maung Maung Soe, Tin Maung Oo, Ko Win Aung, Ko Than Shwe, altogether six people died. This
killing led to a large protest that paved the way towards the uprising, starting on the 8th of August, 1988.

The Ne Win government fell and the military imposed martial law, giving absolute power to the commander-in-chief,
General Saw Maung, in order to quash the demonstrations. The military killed thousands of civilians, including
students and Buddhist monks.

In 1988, as part of the 8888 people‟s uprising, the ABFSU was re-established publicly. On August 28, 1988, Min Ko
Naing and his closest friends organized the student conference on the site of the former Student Union building. Min
Ko Naing was elected unanimously as Chairman. While the student movement was gaining momentum, he and other
student leaders were arrested by the military. Some student leaders fled to the border, but the ABFSU continued its
movement under new leadership.
Min Ko Naing was awarded the 2005Civil Coverage Award from the New York-based Train Foundation and Homo
Homini award by the Czech-based People in Need, the Student Peace Prize in 2001 and the John Humphrey Award in

The National League for Democracy won a landslide victory in the general election of May 28th, 1990, but the
military refused to hand over power to the elected representatives. The ABFSU continued to organize mass
demonstrations to support the National League for Democracy in their struggle to form a people‟s government. In
December 1990, all student leaders of the ABFSU were arrested and sentenced to long terms in prison. Then, ABSFU
went underground in 1990 after more of its members were arrested and sentenced to long prison terms.

Initial activities and subjects that led to Saffron Revolution

In October 2006, 88 generation students organized the “White Expression Campaign,” which features supporters
dressed symbolically in white in demand of the release of political prisoners.

In October 29, 2006, 88 Generation initiated a mass multi-religious prayer campaign in addition to launching a
signature campaign, demanding the immediate release of all political prisoners and the initiation of genuine national
reconciliation. 535, 580 signatures were collected by October 23 and sent to the Burmese military government as well
as to various UN organizations.

In January 4, 2007, 88 generation students launched a campaign called "Open Heart," encouraging the people to
speak about their hardship. More than 25,000 letters were collected and sent to Senior General Than Shwe.

In March 11, 2007, The 88 generation group organized the “Sunday White Campaign,” demanding the immediate
release of political prisoners. The group also urged the United Nation‟s Security Council to pass an effective
resolution on Burma‟s political crisis.

May 21, 2007 —The88 Generation Students planned to step up efforts for the release of political prisoners in Burma
as their latest White Sunday campaign came to an official end. Activists involved in the White Sunday campaign,
which was launched nine weeks ago, dress in white shirts and travel to the homes of political prisoners every Sunday
to offer support and solidarity to their families. The campaign ended on a high note with a group of about 150
activists travelling to the home of detained democracy icon Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's cousins, Daw Nge Ma Ma Than.

High-profile former student leader Min Ko Naing said that the 88 Generation Students would step up campaigns for
the release of political prisoners and would then be visiting families to offer solidarity any day of the week. He said
many Burmese people disagreed with the policies and tactics of the military and that it was time for domestic and
international movements to gain momentum.

On the days of White Sunday Campaign, Min Ko Naing said what they wanted to say had been heard by the
international community. The White campaign would continue. They would still go to the prisoners‟ houses and still
encourage them. But then, they would not only do that on Sundays.

The 88 Generation Students group released a statement on April 5, 2007calling on the Burmese military to stop
discriminating against people who call for democratic changes. The former students also slammed the military for
putting pressure on human rights activists and humanitarian workers. The statement said, “Every Burmese citizen has
equal rights in social and economic spheres regardless of their political views. They (88 generation group) believe it
is the responsibility of the Tatmadaw (military) to make these rights possible. But, in reality, people who are trying to
develop democracy are being labeled as political and they are being discriminated against.”

88 generation students Ko Htay Kywe said that people who deliberately shied away from politics in Burma were given
more social and economic opportunities while rights workers were constantly harassed. He said that government
officials who made generalization about “political activities” should be clear about exactly what type of political
actions they were talking about.

May 27, 2007 - A pro-military mob confronted more than 500 activists in Rangoon as calls for the release of detained
democracy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi intensified. Marking the 17th anniversary of the National League for
Democracy's 1990 election win, the activists and politicians gathered at the NLD headquarters on Shwegondine road
in the morning to call for national reconciliation and the release of all political prisoners in Burma.
They then attempted to march to Shwedagon pagoda for a prayer vigil wearing t-shirts on which the picture of
democracy icon Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was published, carrying placards and shouting slogans. But the military-mob,
made up of Union Solidarity and Development Association members, township peace and development council
officials and unidentified men in civilian clothing, blocked their path and started shouting for the activists to "back
off." They started shouting swear words and rude things at the activists.

The situation reportedly became extremely tense as the opposition supporters hurled insults back at the pro-
government group. One NLD member was reportedly grabbed by the military's supporters and dragged away as other
activists and junta supporters took turns in shoving and goading each other.

The tension eased slightly when the group of activists decided to return to the NLD headquarters to hold a mass
prayer vigil there instead. High-profile activist Min Ko Naing used the opportunity to rally the crowd and speak out
against the government.

Their decision to block the road gave Min Ko Naing and other activists the chance to give speeches in front of the
NLD headquarters. If the pro-government group had let the activists go to the pagoda they would have prayed and
left. The student leaders had planned so according to the situation.

A rare public display of contempt for the military ensued as Min Ko Naing shouted slogans and called on the activists
to brave government retaliation. He said, in his speech, that they all (the activists) had sacrificed a lot of their lives. A
lot of people had died on the streets. He asked the supporters if they all were a kind of people who would be scared by
threats, then the crowd responded by yelling, “No way! No Way!” Then, he shouted that any government authorities
or groups in disguise might threaten them or take action against them for doing that and if they (the activists) were
ready to fight them with courage. The crowd overwhelmingly responded him, “Yeah”.

After the crowd dissipated, the officials from across Rangoon had attempted to arrest pockets of protestors with seven
NLD members seized outside a guesthouse across town and three NLD members abducted from the Maggin

Aug 08, 2007 - More than 1000 people, including the 88 Generation Students, activists and diplomats attended a
memorial service at the Six Story Pagoda in Rangoon today for the victims of the 1988 uprising.
The 88 Generation Students group marked the occasion with a public statement warning the government to expect
more public political movements in the near future and calling on Burmese people to become involved in the peaceful
struggle for a democratic future.

Min Ko Naing said, on the memorial day, that the day was a very important day for all the activists. They were
planning to organize a public movement that all people would be able to participate in. They would do it in a non-
violent way but would clearly demonstrate the power of their will. They would fight along with the people.

While security around the pagoda compound was carefully monitored by plain clothes special policemen and armed
guards, there were no scuffles between the activists and intelligence workers.

On the 15th of August, 2007, the military government raised the fuel price without giving prior warning or
explanation. As a result, transportation charges rose up that people could not take buses to go to their working places.
The activists led by high-profile activist, Min Ko Naing, marched along the streets of Rangoon to show the authorities
that they (activists) also could not afford to pay the transportation charges and they had to walk instead. Later, the
public joined the long march of activists, walking along the streets. The crowd became bigger and bigger day by day.
The SPDC and its proxies, the Union Solidarity Development Association (USDA) and Swan-aah-shin (roughly
translated as Masters of Force). The 88 Generation students group and other activists demanded SPDC to roll back
the price of fuel before 22nd August or they would keep on marching that would lead uprisings.

The entire leadership of the 88 Generation Students group and several other activists were arrested at midnight of
August 22, 2007 in a series of Burmese military raids on the homes of gas price protestors. The state-run New Light of
Myanmar said that Min Ko Naing, Ko Ko Gyi, Pyone Cho, Min Zeya, Mya Aye, Ko Jimmy, Ko Zeya, Kyaw Kyaw
Htwe, Arnt Bwe Kyaw, Panneik Tun, Zaw Zaw Min, Thet Zaw and Nyan Lin Tun had all been taken in for

According to reports received from Rangoon suggested that as many as 20 people were arrested overnight. It is likely
that government arrested the activists in an attempt to curb increasing protests in Rangoon over their decision to raise
fuel prices by up to 500 percent. Widespread demonstrations increased in the former capital city on that day following
protest marches across the city the previous day.

Saffron Revolution and ABFSU (2007)

The 2007 Burmese anti-government protests were a series of anti-government protests that started in Burma on
August 15, 2007. The immediate cause of the protests was mainly the unannounced decision of the ruling junta, the
State Peace and Development Council, to remove fuel subsidies which caused the price of diesel and petrol to
suddenly rise as much as100%, and the price of compressed natural gas for buses to increase fivefold in less than a
week. In response to the increase in fuel prices, citizens protested in demonstrations beginning on August 19.

Led by students and opposition political activists, including women, the protest demonstrations were at first dealt with
quickly and harshly by the junta, with dozens of protesters arrested and detained. Starting September 18, the protests
had been led by thousands of Buddhist monks, and those protests had been allowed to proceed until a renewed
government crackdown on September 26.

Thousands of Burmese monks and nuns have led a demonstration of one hundred thousand people in Rangoon, the
former capital of the country. The demonstration is being called the „Saffron Revolution‟ after the colour of the
monks‟ robes. Saffron, is a precious colour in Buddhist belief and the monks are highly revered in a country which
takes its Buddhist heritage very seriously. The monks have, in a very important symbolic act, also protested around
the perimeter of the Shwedagon, which is the most beloved and respected religious building in the whole country.

It is not just in Rangoon that protests are occurring, since there were multi-thousand protests in Moulmein, Mandalay
and elsewhere, with various ethnic minority groups also joining in the street protests. The demonstrators were united
in their desire for democracy.

All Burma Federation of Student Unions (ABFSU) was reestablished on 28 August, 2007 during the incidents of
Saffron Revolution. Kyaw Ko Ko, Sithu Maung, Honey Oo and De Nyein Lin are the leaders of new established
ABFSU during Saffron Revolution.

Kyaw Ko Ko, the leader of the All Burma Federation of Student Unions, was arrested and taken from his hiding place
on 17March 2008 by Military Intelligence personnel. With the help of supporters, Kyaw Ko Ko had previously
escaped arrest. Nyan Linn Aung, another ABFSU leader, was arrested together with Kyaw Ko Ko. It is not known
where they were taken. Kyaw Ko Ko was a student studying for a Masters degree at the Institute of Economics in

The government used a variety of laws including the foreign exchange act and the video and electronics act which
prohibit Burmese nationals from holding foreign currency or from owning electronic and video equipments without a

In conclusion, the student movements led by the ABFSU in Burma always highlight the conditions of the general
populace. By their nature, dictatorships work against the will of the people; this ensures their fear of student
movements. In Burma, the ruling regime regards the ABFSU as an enemy to be attacked and destroyed. Generation
after generation of students have been murdered, brutally tortured, imprisoned and dismissed from school. At present,
many ABFSU leaders are in the jail. Others are still operating the ABFSU movement inside Burma underground.
Some are also working on the country‟s borders.

Chronology of prisoners from ABFSU

1. Name: Kyaw Ko Ko
Arrested: 17th March, 2008.
Date of Sentence:

2.Name: Sithu Maung

Arrested: October, 2007.
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: 11 ½ years
Prison: Buthidaung prison, Arakan State.

3. Name: Ye Myat Hein

Date of Sentence: 17th November, 2008
Sentence: 10 years

4. Name: Honey Oo
Arrested: 9th October, 2007
Date of Sentence: 13th November, 2008
Sentence: 9 years
Prison: Lashio prison

5. Name: Ye Min Oo
Arrested: 9th October, 2007
Date of Sentence: 17th November, 2008
Sentence: 6 ½ years
Prison: Myingyan prison

6. Name: De Nyein Lin

Date of Sentence: 19th & 28th November, 2008
Sentence: 6 ½ years + 4 years

7. Name: Kyaw Soe Moe

Arrested: 26th September, 2003
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: 12 years
Prison: Tharawaddy prison

8. Name: Han Win Aung

Arrested: 26th September, 2003
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: 7 years
Prison: Insein

9. Name: Jaw Jaw

Arrested: October, 2003
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: 10 years
Prison: Insein prison

10. Name: Nanda Sit Aung @ Sit Ko Aung

Arrested: 26th September, 2003
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: 17 years
Prison: Pa-an prison, Karen State

11. Name: Lwin Ko Latt

Arrested: 26th September, 2003
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: 20 years
Prison: Insein prison
12. Name: Paw Lwin (Former political prisoner)
Arrested: January, 1999
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: 12 years
Prison: Insein prison

13. Name: Swe Lwin

Arrested: June, 2000
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: 12 years
Prison: Mandalay prison

14. Name: They Naing Aung @ Thet Oo

Arrested: 19th December, 2004
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: Life + 8 years
Prison: Insein prison

15. Name: Yan Naing @ Nyan Tun Lin

Arrested: November, 2003
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: 22 years
Prison: Insein prison

16. Name: Zaw Lin Tun

Arrested: 26th September, 2003
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: 20 years
Prison: Insein

17. Name: Zin Lin Aung

Arrested: 27th October, 2007
Date of Sentence:
Sentence: 6 ½ years
Prison: Paungte

18. Name: Phyo Phyo Aung (Female)

Arrested: 14th June, 2008
Date of Sentence:
Prison: Insein

19. Name: Shein Yazar Tun

Arrested: 14th June, 2008
Date of Sentence:
Prison: Insein prison

20. Name: Wai Lin Aung

Arrested: 12th June, 2008
Date of Sentence: