Reading Placement Inventory (Grade 1 Form A
K12 Reading Placement Assessment #1
Reading Placement Inventory
Developed for— K12 8000 Westpark Drive, Suite 500 McLean, VA 22102 www.k12.com
Developed by— DSI, Inc. Richmond, VA in conjunction with MetaMetrics, Inc.
©2001 MetaMetrics, Inc.
like any other test.K12 Reading Placement Assessment #1
The Reading Placement Inventory has been developed to assist parents/guardians in making educational placement decisions for students when enrolling them in the K12 curriculum. you should consider information from other tests your child has taken. The results can be used to help you to decide which reading program is most appropriate for your child. please familiarize yourself with this manual and the test. your judgment. Your child may take breaks as necessary. You should test your child when he or she is well rested and has adequate time to complete the test in a relaxed manner. You can plan on about 20 to 30 minutes to complete the test.
. Take a moment to read and answer the test questions.g. lists of books your child has read successfully. This is a short assessment that measures a child’s ability to read and understand text. Use the information on page 10 of this booklet to help in making the reading decision for your child. This assessment is not designed to provide information on each child’s exact reading level. To decide on the right program. The test should be administered in a well-lighted area that is comfortable for the child (e. Before administering the Reading Placement Inventory. Talk with your child about the Reading Placement Inventory. The Reading Placement Inventory. is just one source of evidence about a reader’s level of comprehension. reports from teachers.
Test Administration Directions
1. reading group placement. Decisions about reading placement are best made by using multiple sources of information. 2. Your child will select the best word by circling the letter next to the word. The purpose of this test is to learn more about your child’s reading skills.. The test measures reading comprehension skills by asking the child to read an incomplete sentence and select the word that best completes the sentence. The location should also be free of distractions and interruptions. dinning room or kitchen table). more importantly. and. This test is un-timed.
Circle the letter next to the word. Answer as many questions as you can. Remember. read the sentence below “Sample Question 2. Remember. Read to your child: Read each sentence and the four words beside it.
. Choose the word that best completes the sentence. Read the first sentence below “Sample Question 1. [pause] Now. Talk with your child about the correct answers and make sure that your child understands how to indicate his or her answer.” Choose the best word to fill in the blank. Now go to the actual test that begins on page 5. Read to your child: Read each sentence and the four words beside it. Choose the word that best completes the sentence. Circle the letter next to the word. you should let your child answer the questions on their own. Remember.K12 Reading Placement Assessment #1
Test Administration Directions (continued)
3. You can read the sample sentences to the child to help him or her understand the directions. 5.” 4. go to pages 9 and 10 for information about scoring the test and using the results. After your child has completed the Reading Placement Inventory. without assistance.” Choose the best word to fill in the blank. only circle one correct answer for each question. The correct answer for Sample Question 1 is “A” and the correct answer for Sample Question 2 is “C. This test is designed to provide information about what your child can read. Circle the letter next to your answer choice. Have your child complete the sample questions on page 4. Circle the letter next to your answer choice. only circle one correct answer for each question.
watch B. food B. flood D.K12 Reading Placement Assessment #1
Sample Question 1 We eat our _____. crack C. A. fool C. foot
Sample Question 2 They _____ the fish tank with water. repair
. fill D. A.
3. Sparrows were building a _______. A circle is _______ like an orange. D. C.
A. B. A. A. C. B.
comes bright full moon fresh round eaten cream pencil food take tree Cats Done Food Drinks fell nest guess smile moon tomorrow potato laughing
2. B. A. B. D. C. D.
6. D.K12 Reading Placement Assessment #1
Reading Placement Inventory Grade 1 Form A
1. A. Sometimes the _______ has a face. D. A. C. C. B. D.
. Mom told us to _______ our toys. Children were _______ at the clown. _______ need water just like dogs. B. C.
12. A. C. The hungry horse reached for the _______.
apple hope sky seven flour quack solve seem early bike toes corn heal trees flakes friends happy apple rain knees pear doctor cried thumb banana tomorrow sneeze eggs
8. The kite fell from the _______. If you try.
10. D.K12 Reading Placement Assessment #1
7. C. D.
11. A. B. B. C. you can _______ any problem. C. A. A.
13. A. A.
. D. C.
A. B. D. B. D. C. B. D. Mom said to stop arguing and be _______. Salmon lay their _______ in the fall. D. B. B. The nurse _______ when my uncle died. They always got up _______ to go to school.
16. C. D. B. D.K12 Reading Placement Assessment #1
14. A. C. C.
17. Koala bears are _______ in Australia. D.
A. C. She was not upset until she _______ to open the door. A.
smoke scoops reads found start pencil bus actor muddle railroad man permits dream read storm help sift croaking frosting green warm size tried eagle
15. C. A. D. The _______ at the door had a long pole and a bucket. D. B. A. The movie was supposed to _______ at one. A. Why does knowledge of the weather _______ you?
18. B. Frogs make a _______ sound.
19. B. C. D.
23. B. Dinosaurs no longer exist except in _______.K12 Reading Placement Assessment #1
20. D. A. A.
turned fish breeze orange shoe breathe hair birthday Bark Teach Skip Deserts animals careen kicked hitch elbows museums fences football present sleeping made screech
21. B. C.
24. A. Eagles eat small _______ up to the size of turkeys. B.
25. _______ get very little rain. The lungs get bigger and smaller when you _______. B. D. C. D.
22. D. White light is actually _______ up of many colors. A. B. The dirt road twisted and _______ like a pretzel. D. C.
A. A. B. C. C.
. D. C.
Refer to the chart at the bottom of the page for suggested grade placement within the K12 curriculum. Form A Question Number 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Correct Answer D B C A B D C C A D B C D Question Number 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Correct Answer D A C D B C A B D A B C
Recommended Grade Placement Kindergarten # of Correct Responses 0 to 14 Grade 1 15 to 25
Answer Key—Grade 1.K12 Reading Placement Assessment #1
Scoring the Reading Placement Inventory
Use the answer key below to score the test. Count the number of questions that your child answered correctly.
reports from teachers.K12 Reading Placement Assessment #1
Using the Results form the Reading Placement Inventory
To determine your child’s grade placement. consider all of the following: The grade your child would be in if he or she were to attend public school this year. and the types of books he or she can read. The suggested grade placement for your child from the Reading Placement Inventory. • Can she pronounce at least 50% of the words correctly without prompting? • Can he explain what is happening in the story?
You should also consider information from other reading tests your child has taken. and lists of books your child has read successfully.
. reading group placement. • Is he able to read the text and explain what is happening in the story? • Can she pronounce at least 80% of the words correctly without prompting? How your child reads aloud from a book that he or she has not read before. How your child reads aloud from books.