For the attention of Personal Finance Desks

Date: 15June 2009 Ref:

No of pages: 3

Working students urged: study the facts about your tax
Over half of the UK’s 2.3 million students don’t realise that they are taxed on their earnings in exactly the same way as other workers, but may be entitled to a refund if they earn less than the Personal Allowance (£6,475) during the tax year, according to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) research. As students head off for the summer break, over three quarters support their studies by getting a job, so HMRC is reminding them to get the facts about tax before they take up paid employment to ensure that they don’t pay too much tax on their hard-earned cash. Students can find all the information they need at The research also shows that there appears to be no such thing as a typical student job – summer posts range from retail and hospitality work to counting the number of passengers on trains. No matter what the job is, HMRC urges students to ensure that they are paying the right amount of tax from the start of their employment. Simon Vessey, Head of Marketing Communications at HMRC said: “Summer is an important time for students to ensure they’re clued up about tax, as so many spend their holidays working. Many don’t realise that they are taxed on their earnings in the same way as any other employees. However, if they can ensure that their tax code is correct and have their information right from the start of their employment, this will save time and effort later. “We want to make sure that students understand their tax responsibilities and entitlements, so that they don’t miss out on any of the money that’s due to them.” As well as being aware of their Personal Allowance, students should also find out: What to do with forms such as the P45, P60 and P38(S) What their tax code means What to do if they have more than one job What National Insurance Contributions are

What information HRMC needs to know (e.g. current address) Ends

Issued by HM Revenue & Customs Press Office Press enquiries only please contact: Andrew Bennett HMRC Press Officer Phone: E-mail: Website: 020 7147 0051

About the survey ICM interviewed a sample of 501 UK students between 31 January and 4 February 2008. ICM is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Further information at Poll of 501 students who were asked about their summer jobs. Poll carried out via Survey Monkey Notes to editors About the Student Tax advice campaign HMRC’s Student Tax Advice campaign is being supported by universities and student finance organisations. A new website for the campaign aims to become the first port of call for students with questions about tax: What to do with forms such as the P45, P60 and P38(S) Students can ask their employer for a P38(S) which they can fill out at the start of their job if they know they are not going to earn more than the Personal Allowance in that tax year (currently £6,475). A P45 is given out at the end of a job and the P60 summarises all yearly earnings. All forms should be kept in a safe place for future reference! Their tax code and what it means This helps employers to work out how much tax to deduct. What to do if they have more than one job Students only have one Personal Allowance for each tax year and if they start a new job without finishing their first job, they will need to fill out a P46 form. What National Insurance is National Insurance contributions are recorded against a worker’s name and contribute to the state pension. These are deducted from pay by employers and cannot be claimed back. Student should make sure they know their National Insurance Number (NINO) for any dealings with their tax office. Ensuring HMRC is informed of their current address

This is each student’s responsibility and ensures they won’t miss any important letters or forms. *Latest student numbers published in January 2009 by DIUS and HESA:

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful