This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Mary’s Colgan Core Values Project
In Service To Parish & School
“God gave us our gifts, not for our own glory or pride, but that we might use them for God’s greater honor and glory. Use your gifts to help your fellow man as much as you can.” —Fr. Emil Kapaun
In 1883, Our Lady of Lourdes Parish was established by Fr. Eugenio Bononcini. Through 125 years of tremendous dedication by the faith leaders, the parish and its schools—St. Mary’s Colgan Catholic Schools— thrive as an example of stewardship and ministry, of Catholic education, and of prayer and praise. This brief, simple document illustrates only a few persons, but a very important few, whose impact on our schools will echo through our remaining history. Also identified are
three Core Values which define our schools’ standards and for which our schools have stood firm in teaching and in practice. These values will continue to lead toward a bright future.
St. Mary’s Elementary, new construction 2006
Crucifix in Junior High Commons Area
St. Mary’s Colgan Jr./Sr. High Commons addition in 2007.
Sisters of St. Joseph Msgr. McCullough Fr. Steinberger Pat Forbes & FrankCrespino Stewardship& Ministry Education Prayer & Praise 1-3 4 4-5 5 6 6-7 7-8
200 Sisters of St. Joseph Serve in Pittsburg
The Sisters of St. Joseph have been an intimate part of Our Lady of Lourdes since 1895. When Father Pompeney arrived in Pittsburg to serve as pastor, he made arrangements for the Sisters of St. Joseph to come to Pittsburg to teach at the school in about 1895. Since then, over 150 sisters have served in the schools (see list below). Since the high school opened in 1936, the Sisters of St. Joseph have been active there. They served as principals of the high school from the beginning in 1936 until 1973. Sister Linus was the first principal (1936-1949), followed by Sister Edwina (1949-1950 ), Sister Paula (1950-1958), Sister Linus again (1958-1960), then Sister de Chantal (19601963), Sister Veronica (19631966), Sister Mary Patrick (1966-1972), and finally Sister Laura (1972-1973). The Sisters have always been active in school life from teaching, to coaching, to directing musicals, and more. Today, the presence and prayers of the sisters are felt daily, and though the sisters have moved physically from our campus, they will forever be part of each student in our schools and each parishioner in our pews. (cont. Sisters, p.2)
ST. MARY’S COLGAN
The Convent. When Pastor Dr. Pompeney brought the Sisters of St. Joseph to Pittsburg to teach in the grade school, the Sisters lived in a cottage at Ninth and Elm. They resided there until construction of the new church was started in 1904. Monsignor McCullough began a high school program in 1936. With the addition of the secondary program and the starting of a Kindergarten program that same year, a Sister's residence was purchased in 1932 but later sold. In 1949, Father Alex G. Stremel began a building program of "three tabernacles": a new rectory, a new
corner of Locust and Ninth Streets. History of the Sisters of St. Joseph. Sisters of St. Joseph can trace their history to LePuy, France in 1650. The Bishop Henri de Maupas granted ecclesiastical approval to organize a Congregation without cloister that dedicated themselves to works of charity, called the Sisters of St. Joseph. Several widows and young women were trying to minister to those suffering due to civil and religious strife in France. A traveling Jesuit missionary, Father Jean Pierre Medaille, became associated with them and helped carry the cause to the Vatican. This tiny nucleus of women began to live very simply in small groups, sometimes only three, and with no distinguishing mark to set them apart. During the French Revolution, many Sisters were imprisoned or scattered to their family homes and five were guillotined. The revolution ended in 1794 and in 1807,
Mother St. Jeanne Fontbonne, who had been cheated of a martyr's death by the fall of Robespierre, was asked to gather women religious who had been scattered during the revolution and to re-found the Sisters of St. Joseph. In 1836, Mother St. John sent six sisters to America at the request of Bishop Joseph Rosati of St. Louis, Missouri. They lived in a log cabin convent in Carondelet, Missouri, where they taught the deaf and worked with Native Americans. Eventually, they expanded their work to other parts of the United States. The current Congregation in Wichita was formed in 1888 and its roots can be traced to Concordia, Kansas (1883), Rochester, New York (1854),and Carondelet (1836). More than two thousand Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet now serve in forty states and in Peru, Japan, and Chile. In countless parishes, schools, health care centers, retreat houses, colleges and universities, neighborhood outreach centers, the sisters serve with the same spirit which motivated the first sisters.
gymnasium and a new convent. The image pictured here shows the existing convent at the southwest
The Sisters Who Have Served in Pittsburg
The following list of sisters serving in the grade school was found in the Diamond Jubilee Book, so it includes all years up to 1956: Sister Adella - 1937 Sister Agatha - 1899 Sister AgnesClare - 1925, 27-28, 34-35 Sister Agnes Marie 1948 Sister Agriesina - 1942-44 Sister Alfreda - 1945-46 Sister Ambrose - 1923 Sister Anacleta - 1954-56 Sister Anthony - 1898 Sister Antoinette - 1918-26 Sister M. Assissium - 1903 Sister M. Athanasius - 1947-49, 55 Sister M. Augustine - 1924-25, 37 Sister M. Aurelia - 1918-19 Mother M. Baptista - 1900 Sister Barbara - 1921 Sister Beatrice - 1940 Sister Berchmans - 1943-48 Sister Bernard - 1938-39 Sister Bernadine - 1917-1919 Sister Bertina - 1951-52 Sister Bfrtrand - 1951-53 Sister Boniface - 1895 Sister Borromeo - 1927-40 Sister Callista - 1924 Sister Carlotta - 1956 Sister Carol Ann - 1950 Sister Catherine - 1948 Sister Cecilia Agnes - 1926 Sister Chrysostom - 1948, 1951 Sister Clare - 1915 Sister Clare Louise - 1949 Sister Clarence - 1936 Sister Clarissa - 1947-50 Sister Clementine - 1896-99 Sister Clotilde - 1897 Mother Colette - 1903 Sister Cosmas - 1927-35 Sister Cvrilla - 1956 Sister Daniel - 1953-54
PAGE 3 Sister David - 1950-1953 Sister M. de Chantal - 1926-36 Sister M. Delphine - 1904 Sister M. Denise - 1950 Sister M. de Pazzi - 1949-52 Sister M. de Sales - 1895-96 Sister M. de Sales - 1948, ‘54-56 Sister M. Dolores - 1948-56 Sister M. Dorothea - 1896 Sister M. Edmund - 1905 Sister M. Edwina - 1949 Sister Eileen - 1937-41 Sister Eina - 1920 Sister Elizabeth - 1943 Sister Emerentia - 1951, 55 Sister Ermina - 1934 Sister Esther - 1925 Sister Eugenia - 1952 Sister Eulalia - 1917-1918 Sister Euphrasia - 1929, 1942-48 Sister Eusebius - 1947, 1956 Sister M. Eva - 1948 Sister M. Evangelist - 1925-26 Sister M. Evarista - 1936, 1956 Sister Ferdinand - 1939-46 Sister Fernando - 1951-52 Sister Flavia - 1944-47 Sister Flora - 1935 Sister Florence - 1936-37 Sister Frances - 1898, 1901 Sister Francis Aloysius - 1955 Sister Francis Joseph - 1938 Sister Gabriel - 1950 Sister Genevieve - 1898, 1902 Sister Georgiana - 1927-30, 36, 49 Sister M. Germaine - 1915-16 Sister M. Grace - 1929-33, 37-45 Sister Gregory - 1915-17 Sister Ignatius - 1949 Sister Isabel - 1951 Sister James - 1953-54 Sister Jean Louise - 1952-56 Sister Jerome - 1919 Sister John Joseph - 1920-22, 38 Sister Joseph - 1899-1902 Sister Julia - 1951 Sister Justin - 1929-31, 44, 50-54 Sister Kevin - 1917-18, 22-24 Sister Lambertine - 1921-24 Sister Lawrence - 1900 Sister Leo - 1895-96, 1916 Sister Leonora - 1954-56 Sister Linus - 1938-48 Sister Loretta - 1915-16 Sister Louis - 1897 Sister Luciana - 1935-39, 50-51 Sister Lucilla - 1935-40 Sister Lucille - 1950-51 Sister Luke - 1937-41, 52-56 Sister Madeleva - 1950 Sister Margaret Mary - 1905 Sister Margarita - 1947-48 Sister Marina - 1940-41 Sister Marita - 1947, 49 Sister Martha - 1918, 1931-33 Sister Martin - 1924-26, 40-46, 55 Sister Mary Margaret - 1952-54 Sister M. Maxime - 1950 Sister Mel Eesa - 1920-24 Sister Miriam - 1923 Sister Modesta - 1918, 55-56 Sister Monica - 1949 Sister M. Nora - 1954-56 Sister M. Paschal - 1951 Sister M. Paula - 1937-42, 49-56 Sister Philip Ann - 1952-53 Sister Philomena - 1899 Sister Quintin - 1941-47 Sister Raphael - 1927-28 Sister Regina - 1903-04 Sister Regis - 1920, 39 Sister Rita - 1917-22 Sister Rosalia - 1915-16, 1950-54 Sister Rose - 1919 Sister Rose Angela - 1926 Sister Rosemary - 1932-33 Sister Scholastica - 1938 Sister Simeon - 1941, 1950-51 Sister St. John - 1925-26 Sister St. Jude - 1945-47 Sister Sylvia - 1942-45 Sister Teresa - 1901-02 Sister Teresa Marie - 1927-47, 1953 Sister Teresita - 1934, 1955-56 Sister Thomas Aquinas - 1952-53 Sister Victorine - 1940-45, ‘53-54 Sister Vincent - 1896 Sister Vincentia - 1948, 1952, 1956 Sister Virgilius - 1936 Sister Urban - 1951-52 Sister Ursula - 1915-16 Sister Wilma - 1946-48 Sister Xavier - 1900
The Sisters who served at the high school ,compiled by the Alumni Association in 2000 included: Sister Ferdinand Sister Luke Sister Paula Sister Linus Sister Martin Sister Euphrasia Sister Victorine Sister Florence Sister Elizabeth Sister Berchmans Sister Flavia Sister Athanasius
Sister Clarissa Sister Eva Sister Vincentia Sister Agnesina Sister Edwina Sister Ignatius Sister Rosaria Sister Lucille Sister Lucianna Sister de Pazzi Sister Simeon Sister Isabel Sister Teresa Marie Sister James Sister Teresita Sister Cyrilia Sister Walburga
Sister Justina Sister Cleophas Sister Veronica Sister Edward Sister de Chantal Sister Assumpta Sister Sara Sister Leocritia Sister Eustasia Sister Clare Louise Sister Immaculata Sister Lynda Sister Mary Patrick Sister Eda Marie Sister Prudentia Sister Helen Joseph Sister Laura
Sister Suzanne Sister Harriet Sister Gabrielia Sister Rebecca Sister Mary John Sister Helene Sister Teresa Sister Lucille Sister Denise Sister Patrice Sister Charlotte Sister Paula Marie
ST. MARY’S COLGAN
Msgr. McCullough—Build It & They Will Come
12, 1933. November 6, 1935, Father McCullough was appointed monsignor. Monsignor McCullough inaugurated the high school program for St. Mary’s with 26 freshmen in 1936. With the addition of the secondary program and the starting of a Kindergarten program that same year, plans were made for the addition of a third story to the now crowded St. Mary’s School. The new addition added four more classrooms and a combination gymnasium and auditorium. In 1938 a sisters’ residence was purchased. In 1944, Monsignor McCullough started a drive to fund the building of a gymnasium, one of the “three tabernacles” earlier envisioned by Fr. Stremel. The land for the location of the gym was purchased, but due to ill health Monsignor McCullough did not see the completed gym. Today, the gym he foresaw now bears his name. His last project was to provide the church steeple with a set of bells. The three bells were blessed by His Excellency, Mark K. Carroll on October 29, 1947. Less than a year later, Monsignor Patrick J. McCullough died, on November 24, 1948.
Father Patrick J. McCullough arrived in Pittsburg on February 2, 1928. He found upon his arrival a parish debt of $60,000. He also saw the need for an addition to the church. In his first three years as pastor, Father McCullough cleared the parish debt, built a new addition to the church, bought several lots and a parish house. But he did not stop there. His next project was the purchase of a pipe organ. It had been originally built as a theatre organ and was rebuilt and several stops added. The 500-pipe organ was dedicated on October
Fr. Steinberger—Salesman for the Memorial Fund
Father Edward J. Steinberger arrived as pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes parish in June of 1970. He found Pittsburg and Southeast Kansas familiar to him since he grew up in Independence, KS. Being at Our Lady of Lourdes was a blessing for him because he had a great devotion to our Blessed Mother. Fr.Steinberger was a very prayerful and dedicated hard-working priest. He wanted everyone, especially the young people, to have a great love and commitment to the faith. He saw the Catholic schools as an important vehicle to provide training, growth and development in the Faith. A great deal of his energy was given to keep the schools and especially Colgan High School open. He would do whatever it took to get the extra monies necessary to assist the schools even selling typewriters and cars. He was always looking for a bargain or a donation of money, equipment, school supplies or anything that could be used for the schools. He became very creative. It was during his early years (about 1972) that one of the parishioners, John J. Towner, planted a seed in the mind of Fr. Steinberger. Mr. Towner was very committed to Catholic education and saw that Fr. Steinberger was just as commit
ted. Mr. Towner knew that it would be difficult for the schools to survive and prosper without some planning for the future. Thus, the Our Lady of Lourdes Memorial Fund began in 1973 with a donation from Mr. Towner. Fr. Steinberger worked diligently to make people aware of the Fund’s purpose and to invite parishioners to include the Memorial Fund in their estate planning. Now
35 years later the Memorial Fund is a testimony to the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the wisdom of these two men. Fr. Steinberger spent 11 years as pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes parish and Administrator of St. Mary’s Elementary and Colgan High School. Under his leadership Pat Forbes became the first lay principal in 1973.
Father had a passion for the students and faculty. It was not uncommon for him to have tears well up in his eyes as he talked to the faculty at their in-service before the beginning of each new school year. He gave his everything, prayer, devotion, energy, talents and gifts in service of the people of the parish and the students of the schools. (Article written by Fr. Tom Stroot, associate pastor under Fr. Steinberger.)
Forbes & Crespino—Leaders, Coaches, Mentors
tantly, we are grateful for his enthusiasm and love of education which has enriched many young people’s lives and helped them to be faith-filled people who are now contributing to the betterment of our church and society (from Generations, St. Mary’s Colgan Catholic Schools Alumni Reunion, 2006). Frank Crespino exemplified the very best of what it means to be a Catholic teacher, coach, and administrator through his 26 years of service to our schools. When he retired from coaching football in 1980, his record showed 153 wins, 37 losses and 4 ties; his real record though lives in the discipline, love, and striving for perfection that he instilled in his students, and that they in turn passed to their children, many of whom are today enrolled in our schools. Frank spent his childhood at St.
“FORBES & CRESPINO
Pat Forbes and Frank Crespino dedicated a combined 67 years of service to our schools and parish. Pat Forbes served as a teacher and coach for 11 years from 1964-1975 and as principal for 32 years from 1973-2005. He was an administrator convinced of and devoted to the mission and ministry of Catholic education. His respect and love for many of his high school and college teachers and coaches led him to a career in education and coaching. Because of his many talents and gifts, Pat served as teacher, mentor, father-figure, coach, curriculum developer, supervisor, principal, and faith-filled leader. Over the years, he had to be a bus driver, athletic director, manager, public relations person, chaperone, disciplinarian, mediator, and parttime janitor. But most impor-
Mary’s Schools, DEDICATED A graduating from the COMBINED 67 high school in 1951 YEARS OF and he continues to SERVICE TO OUR be part of the parish SCHOOLS AND life today. Frank PARISH.” was inducted into the Kansas State High School Athletic Hall of Fame in 2000. Our parish family and alumni are grateful for Pat and Frank’s generous spirit, sacrifice, support and dedication to young people and our schools and we are grateful for their leadership. Their love of our schools and Catholic education challenges us to keep the dream alive.
ST. MARY’S COLGAN
Stewardship & Ministry
Each family inquiring about enrollment into St. Mary’s Colgan Schools is first given a tour of Our Lady of Lourdes Church. The Church is the heart of all that happens during the school day—the academics, the cocurricular activities, the celebrations, the discipline policies, even the lunch room procedures. The schools serve the parish and are its largest ministry and source of evangelization. As the schools serve the parish, so our students, families, teachers, and staff live their ministry throughout our campus. OLL ministries are grouped under nine Pillars—Liturgy, Stewardship, Vocations, Family, Catholic Values, Youth, Evangelization, Human Life, and Welcoming/ Hospitality—each family commits annually to serving on at least one of the many groups which fall under each of these pillars. It is this experience of service by everyone at the parish and school which creates an atmosphere, a culture, of giving one’s talents, gifts, professionalism, and time to God and others. It is a culture the schools try to develop and one which is maintained by the example of our students, families and parishioners. Any survey of SMC students’ activities in the community will reveal they not only assist each other, the school, the parish, and the diocese, but that they are strong volunteers in the larger community whether working on summer missions, for the Red Cross, or Special Olympics, or providing tutoring services, helping to coach younger children, or working with residents at a nursing facility for the elderly. Students know from an early age the Christian call to serve with their lives. There are examples all around our campus of those who have done just this, and have done so without any interest in being recognized for what they have given. Within the past few years, anonymous donors—inspired by the sacrifices and stewardship of ordinary parishioners—have provided funds to build a 45,000 square foot elementary school, a 25,000 square foot Fieldhouse, an addition to the high school, and other improvements to the campus. The plaque in the vestibule of the newly built elementary school states:
INSTITUTION OF LEARNING MADE POSSIBLE BY THE GENEROSITY OF DONORS NOT REVEALED TO HUMANKIND BUT WHO ARE KNOWN AND LOVED IN THE HEART OF
The first Catholic parish school in Pittsburg was housed in the trancepts of the church. When in 1882, $1,400 was spent to construct a wood frame church measuring 24 by 66 feet with two wings that were 24 by 20 feet, the first school room—one of the wings— was in business, the other wing was the pastor’s residence. Very soon after, a new rectory needed to be built and the second wing of the church was used to help accommodate almost 100 pupils. By 1895 the Sisters of St. Joseph were teaching in Pittsburg. Though the school was closed for most of the years between 1906 and 1915, it has ever since been
SMC Class of 2008
an example for the community of pursuing excellent academics, successful sports and artistic programs, and a resolute faith. As part of the parish’s Pastoral Plan of 2004, a Strategic Plan for the school was implemented which included an evaluation of key area of the schools:
• • • • •
ment numbers grown, teaching and evaluation methods improved, services for students with special needs greatly expanded, full-day kindergarten begun in 2008, and salaries for teachers adjusted to be competitive with surrounding school districts. complish its amazing dreams if these dreams begin with prayer and if it is a collective dream. Halfway through the plan, so much has been accomplished. New classes have been developed, participation in youth faith groups has exploded and has helped to inspire the parish at large to become re-energized about its faith, new orientation programs for parents are being planned, communication has been improved, connections with alumni strengthened, participation in the community and with other schools increased, a new president/principal model of leadership implemented, enrollThere is so much for which to be thankful in our schools and even more to look for in the future. What has taken place and what is to come are born from the emphasis and expectation for quality, CATHOLIC education.
Mission/Catholic Identity Leadership Enrollment/Marketing Education/Curriculum, and Staffing
The plan began with the assumption that this community can ac-
Prayer & Praise
A successful school prays together, attends liturgy together, serves together, celebrates together, and even grieves together. The history of St. Mary’s Colgan Schools has seen all of these—from the lower graduation rates during the Vietnam War, to changes in Masses for students after the Second Vatican Council, from the loss of Music programs in the high school to championships in sports, Debate, Chess, and Theater. Through it all, God has sustained His school and the school has responded by giving glory to the Giver of Gifts. Students at St. Mary’s Colgan honor the Lord through participating in and/or leading:
• • • • • • • •
Prayer before events Rosaries said prior to contests Serenading the sisters Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Devotion of Liturgy of the Hours Team Jesus Dead Theologians Society Generations In Faith Together
Religion Classes Mass attendance and Sacra-
(prayer & praise cont.) • •
• • •
CYO Steubenville Retreats God Squad
GRACE Knights of Our Lady
And most especially through the students’ individual prayer lives and through service to others.
“LET THE CHILDREN
COME TO ME AND DO NOT STOP THEM, BECAUSE THE
KINGDOM OF GOD
BELONGS TO SUCH AS THESE.” LUKE 18:16
Let It Be Known To All Who Enter Here That Christ Is The Reason For This School. He Is The Unseen But Ever Present Teacher In Its Classes. He Is The Model Of Its Faculty And The Inspiration Of Its Students.
St. Mary’s Elementary School 301 East 9th Pittsburg, KS 66762 620-231-6941 (f)620-235-7442 Mike Martin, Principal
St. Mary’s Colgan Jr./Sr. High School 212 East 9th Pittsburg, KS 66762 620-231-4690 (f)620-231-0690 Tom Gorman, Principal