This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Environmental science, ecology, life science, biology, aquatic, water, ecosystems, filterfeeders, water quality, self-purification, ecosystem, pollution, purification, Mytilus edulis, Crassostrea gigas, Thalassiosira pseudonana, Synechococcus, Fagopyrum esculentum, Oryza sativa, environmental safety, water sustainability, 7 pages.
Water sustainability, security. A number of scientific publications made a contribution to water sustainability, security. A summary of these publications was presented as a part of a presentation made at the round table on water issues at United Nations Information Center, UN House, Moscow, October 3, 2013. In English.
more details on the round table on October 3 see here: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2013/10/un-information-center-new-priorities-in.html
Comments in other languages:
In English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese languages:
1. Water sustainability and security necessitates proper seeing environmental hazards from chemical pollution. In the publications [ 1-22; 25-30 ], Dr. Sergei A. Ostroumov has shown that the whole class of chemicals, namely synthetic surfactants (all three subclasses of surfactants, i.e. anionic, cationic and non-ionic surfactants) pose a substantial threat to aquatic ecosystems (both freshwater and marine ecosystems). Until these papers and books were published, the surfactants were not treated seriously as really dangerous chemical pollutants. 2. To assess potential harm to aquatic ecosystems, some criteria are being used in consideration of many chemicals that pollute freshwater and marine environments. Some of the criteria were made a part of environmental law and regulation. In publications [ 1-22; 31,32 ], a progress was made in better formulation of the criteria, in better understanding of what is really bad when pollutants enter aquatic environment. New hazards were identified from relatively low, sublethetal (lower than lethal) concentrations of aquatic pollutants. 3. Water sustainability and safety is possible only when water quality is at proper level for long time. This may take place - as it was shown in the publications [ 1-22; 33-37 ] - only when some aquatic ecosystem mechanisms function properly. Dr. Sergei A. Ostroumov named these mechanims 'water self-purification biomachinery'. He formulated a new productive theory of multi-functional role of aquatic organisms in water self-purification. The series of his publications [ 1-22 ] formulated and developed this theory. All of the above-mentioned studies and results were reported in the series of his publications [122 ].
REFERENCES with links (37 items, online):
1. 18 innovations, other files online. Innovative conceptualization: ecosystems; water quality et al. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/10/environment-ecology18-innovationsother.html **
2. Papers Indexed by PubMed (USA): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=search&term=Ostroumov+SA%5bau%5d ** 3. Papers indexed by Scholar Google: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%22SA+Ostroumov%22 ** 4. 36 innovations, chemico-biotic interactions in biosphere: indexed in Web of Science. Publications with DOI; with abstracts, with links for full texts: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/08/indexed-with-abstracts-web-of-science.html ** 5. 39 Publications indexed by Web of Science, Date: September 5, 2013. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2013/09/39-publications-indexed-by-web-of_25.html ** 6. On the organisms that were studied in the papers indexed by Web of Science, PubMed: oysters, Crassostrea gigas, macrophytes Ceratopyllum demersum, Daphnia magna, freshwater mussels Unio, marine mussels Mytilus edulis, and others: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2013/10/organisms-that-were-studied-in-papers.html ** 7. Scopus: Indexed: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2013/09/69-enviro-sci-papers-list-with.html **
8. 25 papers: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2013/01/25-publications-environmentalscience.html ** 9. 25 clues to get environmental safety, water sustainability: http://sergostroumov.scienceblog.com/2012/11/30/25-clues-to-get-environmentalsafety-water-sustainability/ ** 10. innovations. 25 Number-one priority papers in Environmental safety, Ecology. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/12/25-top-priority-innovations.html ** 11. Innovations in environmental science. A review of 25 selected examples. Convenient format. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/innovations-in-environmental-science.html **
12. Key bibliography with sites, full texts online free. Environmental science, ecology, biology. 10 pages:
http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2013/10/key-bibliography-with-sites.html ** 13. 69 #top #environmental #science #papers. List with additional info. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2013/09/69-enviro-sci-papers-list-with.html ** 14. Available online: environmental science. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2013/09/available-onlineenvironmental-science.html ** 15. 31 Top Springer Publications (life science, ecology, environmental science, water science, biology: innovations, new facts, new ideas). http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/11/31-publications-life-science-ecology.html ** 16. Publications from the profile (LinkedIn) of Dr. Sergei Ostroumov, Moscow University. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2013/09/environmental-science-publications-from.html **
17. On: Mytilus edulis, Crassostrea gigas, Thalassiosira pseudonana, Synechococcus, Fagopyrum esculentum, Oryza sativa, et al., 25 articles published: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/10/mytilus-edulis-crassostrea-gigas.html ** 18. Environmental Science: blog posts: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/top-of-top-environmental-science-blog.html ** 19. 25 items on Water Safety, Ecology. Selected, Indexed by Web of Science. Publications, With Comments on What is New. Publications with DOI; http://www.scribd.com/doc/104782038 ** 20. 66 abstracts. 66 selected publications. Abstracts, web-sites and references: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/08/63-steps-to-new-ecology-updated-to-66.html **
21. Harvard, M.I.T., Caltech, Oxford, Stanford, All 5 universities acquired the book:
'Biological Effects of Surfactants'. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/10/new-universityranking-20122013-is.html
22. on the book on environmental toxicology, titled: Biological Effects of Surfactants. Content: biological effects of synthetic surfactants and detergents on microorganisms, plants, invertebrate animals. New hazards of chemicals that pollute water. Comments, FAQ in English, German, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew, Swedish, Norwegian, Arabic: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/10/innovative-book-on-environmental.html ** How the scientific community reacted to these publications: Citation.
23. Citation in #Europe, #USA #America, Asia, Australia, Africa,
#citation, #cited, ecology, environmental_science,
** 24. Citation worldwide in scientific literature: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/07/world-wide-and-international-citing-of.html ** ARTICLES, SPECIFIC TITLES: 25.
Studying effects of some surfactants and detergents on filterfeeding bivalves .
Effects of several surfactants and chemical mixtures on marine bivalves [oysters Crassostrea gigas, and others] were studied. An anionic surfactant, sodium dodecylsulphate (SDS), and a cationic surfactant, tetradecyltrimethylammonium bromide (TDTMA)...; ... in: Hydrobiologia (2003); DOI 10.1023/A:1024604904065; Full text free: http://ru.scribd.com/doc/153908393/; ** 26. Effect
of a Cationic Amphiphilic Compound on Rotifers.
..., N. Walz, R. Rusche, in: Doklady Biological Sciences (2003);
DOI 10.1023/A:1024417903077; Doklady Biological Sciences. 2003. Vol. 390. 252-255, [ISSN 0012-4966 (Print) 1608-3105 (Online)]. Full text free: http://www.scribd.com/doc/52634169; ** 27.
The Effect of Synthetic Surfactants on the Hydrobiological Mechanisms of Water Self-Purification.
Long-term studies of the biological effect of surfactants, including the effect surfactants exert on filter feeders, are reviewed. The role of filter feeders in the functioning of freshwater and marine ecosystems...; ... in: Water Resources (2004); Number of reads in Internet: 1,435 on 19.10.2013; The effect of synthetic surfactants on the hydrobiological mechanisms of water self-purification. - Water Resources. 2004. Volume 31, Number 5 p. 502-510. Full text free: http://www.scribd.com/doc/41169530/WR502; ** 28.
Inhibition of Mussel Suspension Feeding by Surfactants of Three Classes.
Effects of three surfactants on the filtration rates by marine mussels Mytilus were studied. The xenobiotics tested represented anionic, cationic and non-ionic surfactants (tetradecyltrimethylammonium bromide, a repre...; ..., J. Widdows, in: Hydrobiologia (2006), Moscow University, Russian Federation; Plymouth Marine Lab, U.K.; Number of reads in Internet: About 1,800 reads; 24.2.2013;
Full text free:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/45958156; http://www.scribd.com/doc/59544597; http://www.scribd.com/doc/104742811; Abstracts and keywords in English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Italian, Chinese, Japanese: http://www.scribd.com/doc/45958910; ** 29.
Biological Effects of Surfactants (book). Content: biological effects of synthetic surfactants and detergents on microorganisms, plants, invertebrate animals. New hazards of chemicals. Comments, FAQ in English, German, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew, Swedish, Norwegian, Arabic: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/10/innovative-book-on-environmental.html **
30. Vorozhun I. M., S. A. Ostroumov. On studying the hazards of pollution of the biosphere: effects of sodium dodecylsulfate (SDS) on planktonic filter-feeders. - Doklady Biological Sciences, 2009, Vol. 425, pp. 133–134. DOI: 10.1134/S0012496609020136; [key words: zooplankton, Daphnia magna, detergent, SDS] ;http://www.scribd.com/doc/45914806. http://ru.scribd.com/doc/45914806/
31. Criteria of ecological hazards due to anthropogenic effects on the biota: searching for a system. - Dokl Biol Sci (Doklady Biological Sciences). 2000; 371:204-206. (in English); English paper online free: http://www.scribd.com/doc/49088234; http://sites.google.com/site/2000dbs371p204criteria/; Comments: http://alsuyus.blogspot.ru/2013/01/new-ideas-on-criteria-for.html **
32. Ostroumov S.A. Anthropogenic effects on the biota: towards a new system of principles and criteria for analysis of ecological hazards. sites.google.com/site/ostroumovsergei/publications-1/rivista2003criter ** ** 33.
On the Biotic Self-purification of Aquatic Ecosystems: Elements of the Theory.
... in: Doklady Biological Sciences (2004) ;
DOI 10.1023/B:WARE.0000041919.77628.8d; Number of reads in Internet: 2,200 reads; Full text free: http://www.scribd.com/doc/48099028;
On the Multifunctional Role of the Biota in the SelfPurification of Aquatic Ecosystems.
Principles of a new theory of the ecological mechanism of water self-purification based on multiple functions of the biota in freshwater and marine ecosystems are formulated. In developing this theory, the resul...; ... in: Russian Journal of Ecology (2005); DOI 10.1007/s11184-005-0095-x; Number of reads in Internet: About 1,500 reads 24.2.2013.
Full text free:
www.econf.rae.ru/pdf/2012/08/1547.pdf. http://www.scribd.com/doc/45572968. http://www.academia.edu/1893226/; http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/on-multifunctional-role-of-biota-in.html. ** 35.
On Some Issues of Maintaining Water Quality and SelfPurification.
Fundamental concepts and principles that were formulated in this paper represent, in a systematized form, the basic elements of the fundamental qualitative theory of water selfpurification in freshwater and marine ecosystems. Recommendations are given f...; ... in: Water
Resources (2005) ;
DOI 10.1007/s11268-005-0039-7; Number of reads in Internet: 1,900 reads; On some issues of maintaining water quality and self-purification.- Water Resources, 2005. Volume 32, Number 3, p. 305-313. Full text free: http://www.scribd.com/doc/57511892/0305 ;
36. Ostroumov S. A. Basics of the molecular-ecological mechanism of water quality formation and water self-purification. - CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS OF ECOLOGY, 2008, 1 (1): 147-152. http://www.scribd.com/doc/104724760; ** 37. Biocontrol of water quality: Multifunctional role of biota in water self-purification. Review of an innovative theory. This paper is on how aquatic ecosystem functions towards improving water quality, natural water purification, natural pollution control. The experimental data analysis, concepts, and generalizations in this article provide the fundamental elements of the innovative qualitative theory of biocontrol of water quality in a systematized form. The theory covers...; in: Russian Journal of General Chemistry (2010); 'biocontrol' here means biological regulation, biological formation, influence from biological community; DOI 10.1134/S1070363210130086;
Internet impact: mentioned 4,430 times; citation of a related paper of the same author; Full text free: http://www.scribd.com/doc/49131150; **
Environmental science, ecology, life science, biology, aquatic, water, ecosystems, filter-feeders, water quality, self-purification, ecosystem, pollution, purification, environmental safety, water sustainability, Mytilus edulis, Crassostrea gigas, Thalassiosira pseudonana, Synechococcus, Fagopyrum esculentum, Oryza sativa,