This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Churches in South India
St Thomas Shrine, Palayur - Founded by St Thomas, the Apostle in 52 A.D Palayur Mahatheerthadanam (The Great Pilgrimage) Palayur Mahatheerthadanam, which is held normally on the third Sunday of the Lent every year, attracts thousands of people from all over Thrissur District and other parts of Kerala. This Pilgrimage commences from Lourde Cathedral, Thrissur and the participants walk 28 Kilometers, all the way from Thrissur to Palayur, carrying wooden crosses... Parumala Pally,Mannar, Kerala The most important of the spiritual centers of the Malankara is the Tomb of His Holiness the "Parumala Thirumeni". The Church was constructed as a result of the efforts of Parumala Geevarghese Mar Gregorios. On 27 January 1825 a provisional consecration of the Church was conducted. Later, on 19 August 1912 His Holiness Abdheth Misheha, the Patriarch consecrated the Parumala Church. The Church is built and named after the Apostle St. Peter and St. Paul. The burial place of Yuyakim Mar Ivanios can also be seen here. St. Francis Church - Cochin ( Built in the Year 1503) : Fort Cochin is believed to be the oldest European Settlement in India and St. Francis Church was the first European Church to be built in India. The history of this Church reflects the colonial struggle of European powers in India, from the 15th to 20th Centuries. Santa Cruz Basilica, Cochin : The Santa Cruz Basilica is a historic church that was built by the Portuguese. The church was elevated to a cathedral by Pope Paul IV in 1558 AD. In 1795 AD, it fell into the hands of the British when they took over Cochin and was demolished. Santa Cruz Basilica, Kerala: The Santa Cruz Basilica is a historic church that was built by the Portuguese. The church was elevated to a cathedral by Pope Paul IV in 1558 AD. In 1795 AD, it fell into the hands of the British when they took over Cochin and was demolished. About a hundred years later, Bishop Dom Gomez Ferreira commissioned a new building at the same site in 1887 AD. The church was proclaimed a Basilica in 1984 by Pope John Paul II. Cathedral Church of St. Thomas, Mumbai: St. Thomas' Cathedral, the city's first Anglican Church is situated in the heart of the commercial fort area, in Mumbai . The foundation was laid in 1672 during the governorship of Gerald Aungier, and was opened to public on the Chris Ãtmas Day in 1718, and subject to a number of later additions. Though simple in structure, the interior of the Church has some exquisite art adoration. Little Mount, Chennai (Madras) The church, consecrated in 1971 attracts attention by unusual circular shape. However, it is the old church next door, built in 1711 as extension to shrine which the Portuguese had built in 1511, that is thronged by pilgrims. Velankanni Church: Velankanni is located 12-km south of Nagapattinam, which is one of the most popular pilgrim spots in southern part of India. Velankanni is also called as the Mecca of Christians. The shrine is dedicated to Our Lady of Health, the Madonna of Velankanni and it is located on the shore. This church in honour of Virgin Mary is popularly called as 'Sacred Arockia Madha Church' and is visited by people of all faiths and religions.
Churches in Goa Some highly reverred churches and cathedrals built during 16th to 17th century AD at Old Goa comprise of the Se' Cathedral, Church and Convent of St. Francis of Assisi, Chapel of St. Catherine, Basilica of Bom Jesus; Church of Lady of Rosary; Church of St. Augustine. The Church of St. Cajetan is modelled on the original design of St. Peter's Church in Rome. The Church of Bom Jesus with its facade decorated with
Ionic, Doric and Corinthian pilasters, shows the application of the Classical order. The Se' Cathedral, with its Tuscan exterior, the Corinthian columns at its portals, the raised platform with steps leading to the entrance, the barrel-vault above the nave, is yet another example of Renaissance. Church of St Francis of Assisi, Goa : This church is the former palace of the Archbishop that connects the Se Cathedral to the Convent and Church of St. Francis of Assisi. The exterior of the Church is of the Tuscan order while the main entrance is in Manuline style. To the west of the Se Cathedral is the former palace of the Archbishop that connects the Se Cathedral to the Convent and Church of St. Francis of Assisi. Basilica of Bom Jesus - Goa: The church of Bom Jesus, is known principally for the tomb of St. Francis Xavier. In 1946, it became the first church of India to be elevated to the status of Minor Basilica. One of the richest churches in Goa, it is covered with marble and inlaid with precious stones and paintings depicting the life of St. Francis Xavier. The basilica, where the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier are kept, is the best specimen of baroque architecture in India. St. Francis's body was brought to Goa almost 150 years after his death. It now lies in an airtight glass coffin, placed inside a silver casket fashioned by a 17th century Florentine jeweller. Visitors from India and overseas flock to the Basilica of Bom Jesus in Old Goa, built in 1605, and now declared a World Heritage Monument. The church houses the sacred relics of St. Francis Xavier. Church of St. Andrew: This famous church of Goa Velha was originally built in 1583 but was abandoned for fear of its collapse. The present church, named after the Patron St. Andrew, the Apostle, was built in 1868 in a different place at the same village. The most remarkable feature of this church is the Procession of All Saints, the only such procession besides Rome, when 31 statues of the saints are taken in a procession on the 5th Monday of Lent around the whole village covering some 2-km distance. The Church of St. Cajetan, Goa: Modelled on the original design of St. Peter's Church in Rome. The Church of Bom Jesus with its facade decorated with Ionic, Doric and Corinthian pilasters, shows the application of the Classical order. The Se' Cathedral, with its Tuscan exterior, the Corinthian columns at its portals, the raised platform with steps leading to the entrance, the barrel-vault above the nave, is yet another example of Renaissance. Built in the style of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome in c.1655 AD, it is well maintained and a splendid example of Christian architecture. Procession of All Saints, the only such procession besides Rome, when 31 statues of the saints are taken in a procession on the 5th Monday of Lent around the whole village covering some 2-km distance. The Church of St. Francis Xavier in Goa: Behind the gate of St. Paul's college is a Kuchcha road branching off the main road, leading to the chapel of St. Francis Xavier. It is built of laterite plastered with lime mortar, with tiled roof supported by wooden rafters is a plain chapel with only one altar. Architecturally, it is of the Doric order. The Chapel was within the enclosure of the College of St. Paul and was dedicated either to St. Anthony or to St. Jerome. As the chapel was used by St. Francis Xavier, it was re-dedicated to him after his canonization in 1622. Cathedral Church in Goa : The Portuguese Viceroy Redondo commissioned the Se, or St. Catherine's' Cathedral, southwest of St. Cajetan's, to be "a grandiose church worthy of the wealth, power and fame of the Portuguese who dominated the seas from the Atlantic to the Pacific". Today it stands larger than any church in Portugal. The Chapel of Our Lady of The Mount in Goa : A series of steps leads to the Chapel, which is built of laterite plastered with lime mortar. It has three main altars dedicated respectively to our lady of the mount, St. Anthony and St. Andrew. Church & Convent of St. Monica, Goa; Construction of the convent and the church of St. Monica was commenced in 1606 and completed in 1627. The building was destroyed in a fire in 1636 and re-built the following year.
Churches in North India
Christ Church & St. Michael's Cathedral, H.P.: The most prominent building on the famous Mall of Shimla is the yellow Christ Church, reputed to be the second oldest church in northern India. It still has those lovely stained glass windows for which it is so famed. Church of the Sacred Heart, Delhi : The Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart displays a strong Italianate influence, with a facade of white pillars supporting a canopy set against a dark brick background, and circular arcades turrets rising above the roof to each side of the entrance porch. The lofty interior has a towering curved roof, polished stone floors and broad arches set into smooth walls, presenting a very grand look. Kanpur Memorial Church : Built in 1875, the Kanpur Memorial Church was designed by Walter Granville. The church was built in honour of the British who lost their lives in the war of 1857. The complete Church in Lombardic Gothic Style is handsomely executed in bright red brick, with polychrome dressings. The interiors of the church are adorned with the monuments to the mutiny, including several memorial tablets. Roman Catholic Church Sardhana : The Roman Catholic Church built in Sardhana is an imposing structure that exhibits the subtle mixture of architectural styles. Two huge lakes near the church are the result of the mud that was removed to supply the building materials for the church Facing the west, this church has its entrance from the north side. 18 Doric pillars line the verandah. At the backside rises two lofty spires, and the steeple an the left has two large bells. The octagonal lantern above the central dome is made up of finely chiselled and perforated slates and capped with black and white marble. This reflects an obvious Muslim architectural influence. On the top of the three domes and two spires, there are heavily glided metal balls surmounted by metal crosses. St. Joseph's Roman Catholic: Built in 1860, this Catholic Church is situated in the Civil lines of Gorakhpur. Blessed and opened by Bishop Hartmann and dedicated to St. Joseph. This church was built by. Fr. Raphael of Livorno. It is the fifth oldest Catholic church in U.P. The others being at Allahabad (1845), Ghazipur (now no more), Chunar (1848) and Varanasi (1851). This church was set up at the demand of Catholic troops stationed at Gorakhpur during 1850's.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.