________________________________ Burl W.

Haar, Executive Secretary

STATE OF MINNESOTA PUBLIC UTILITIES COMMISSION
NOTICE OF COMMENT PERIOD ON COMPLETENESS AND PROCEDURES
Issued: November 5, 2013 In the Matter of the Application of Northern States Power Company for Authority to Increase Rates for Electric Service in Minnesota PUC Docket Number: Comment Period: E-002/GR-13-868 Initial comment period closes November 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm. Reply comment period closes November 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm.

Topics Open for Comment: • Whether Northern States Power Company’s application complies with the filing requirements of Minn. Stat. § 216B.16, Minn. Rules, Parts 7825.3100 to 7825.4400, and relevant Commission Orders, and Whether this matter should be sent to the Office of Administrative Hearings for a contested case hearing and if so, what the scope of the hearing should be.

Case Background: On November 4, 2013, Northern States Power Company, doing business as Xcel Energy (“Xcel”), filed a request to increase rates for electric service in Minnesota with the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission (“Commission”). In its filing, Xcel seeks authority for a two year increase in rates, pursuant to Minn. Stat. § 216B.16, subdivisions 1 and 19, of $192.7 million, or 6.9 percent, in 2014, and $98.5 million, or 3.5 percent, in 2015, for a total increase of $291.2 million, or 10.4 percent, effective January 3, 2014 without suspension. If the Commission suspends the proposed rate increase under Minn. Stat. § 216B.16, subd. 2, Xcel requests, pursuant to Minn. Stat. § 216B.16, subd. 3, an interim rate increase of $127.4 million, or 4.57 percent, effective on January 3, 2014. Pursuant to Minn. Stat. § 216B.16, subd. 3, the Commission sets interim rates on an “ex-parte” basis. Filing Requirements: Utilities, telecommunications carriers, official parties, and state agencies are required to file documents using the Commission’s electronic filing system (“eFiling”). All parties, participants and interested persons are encouraged to use eFiling.

PHONE 651-296-7124 • TOLL FREE 800-657-3782 • FAX 651-297-7073 • CONSUMER.PUC@STATE.MN.US

121 7TH PLACE EAST • SUITE 350 • SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA 55101-2147

www.puc.state.mn.us

PUC Docket Number E-002/GR-13-868

Page 2

Full Case Record: All documents filed in this docket are available on the Commission’s website at www.puc.state.mn.us, select “Search eDockets,” enter the year (13) and the docket number (868), select “Search.” Subscribe to the Docket: Receive notification when new documents are filed in this docket at www.puc.state.mn.us, select “Subscribe to a Docket,” and follow the prompts. Submit Public Comments: E-mail to PublicComments.PUC@state.mn.us. Persons without e-mail access may send by U.S. mail to Burl Haar, Executive Secretary, Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, 121 7th Place East, Suite 350, St. Paul MN 55101-2147. Please include the Commission’s docket number in all communications. Questions about Commission process and procedure? Contact Commission staff: Robert Harding at robert.harding@state.mn.us or 651-201-2237; Jerry Dasinger at jerry.dasinger@state.mn.us or 651-201-2235; or Clark Kaml at clark.kaml@state.mn.us or 651201-2246. This document can be made available in alternative formats (i.e., large print or audio) by calling 651-296-0406 (voice). Persons with hearing loss or speech disabilities may call us through their preferred Telecommunications Relay Service.

PHONE 651-296-7124 • TOLL FREE 800-657-3782 • FAX 651-297-7073 • CONSUMER.PUC@STATE.MN.US

121 7TH PLACE EAST • SUITE 350 • SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA 55101-2147

www.puc.state.mn.us

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful