This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Liliath & Penumbra (323) 647-5327 email@example.com
ACT ONE EXT. SHAWNIGAN LAKE, B.C. - SHORELINE - DAY Breathtaking views of water and trees everywhere, with the Rocky mountains visible in the distance. This is the stuff postcards and calendars are made from. Down near the water a TALL, SHADOWY, CLOAKED FIGURE, walks along the shore. Suddenly, though, it veers off into the woods. EXT. SHAWNIGAN LAKE - WOODS - DAY The Cloaked Figure practically GLIDES through the trees, its ducking and feinting through the branches almost like an elegant dance. Soon, it breaks into a clearing-where a CROWD OF BEAUTIFUL GLOWING MEN AND WOMEN is midst of a full-on battle, both on the ground and in Every possible WEAPON imaginable - except for guns use, yet there is no blood to be seen anywhere. (Are ANGELS? And are they fighting each other???) in the the air. is in these
The Cloaked Figure stops at the edge of the fight and waits. PRATT (40's), a stern fighter with the scars to prove he's been in this game for a long time, DUCKS an attack from his opponent and notices the Cloaked Figure. He redoubles his efforts and succeeds in FATALLY RUNNING THROUGH his adversary with his sword. He then uses his weapon to TEAR A HOLE INTO THE VERY FABRIC OF THE UNIVERSE, like a MINI BLACK HOLE. GRABBING his vanquished enemy, he THROWS him through the tear-and the hole SEALS ITSELF SHUT behind him. Without missing a beat, Pratt then turns to the Cloaked Figure, who falls to one knee to pay homage. It moves to remove its hood-but Pratt stops it. Not here. (beat) What news? PRATT
2. CLOAKED FIGURE The girl is on her way, Commander. Her eyes will open soon. PRATT (nods) Well then - you know your orders. The Cloaked Figure nods. Go. PRATT (CONT'D)
In a blur of speed, the Cloaked Figure departs the clearing. Pratt turns his attention back to the fray in front of him. EXT. ROAD - DAY A CAR winds its way along the road, then turns into a driveway. A sign announces that this is “ST. JOAN’S ACADEMY,” and a banner has been tacked to it that reads “WELCOME NEW STUDENTS!” EXT. ST. JOAN'S ACADEMY - MONTGOMERY HOUSE - DAY The car pulls up to a sturdy and elegant structure located only yards away from the woods. It stands surrounded by meticulously maintained green lawns and paved walkways. The occasional uniformed STUDENT (13-18), makes his or her way about. INT. CAR - DAY LUCY'S GRAN (60’s), a woman with the aura of someone you’d want nearby in a time of crisis, looks over at her granddaughter. LUCY GRIER (15), a cute girl who has no idea she's cute, has her sunglasses on and her iPod earbuds in. Her lo-o-ong legs barely seem to fit in the small space in front of her - she can't be comfortable - but she's also breathing in the gently even way that proves she's actually asleep. Her Gran reaches over and pulls out one of her earbuds. Lucy jumps a mile high, swatting at her Gran.
3. LUCY (instinct) Don't touch me! GRAN Sorry - but we’re here. Lucy stretches, sleepily gathering her bearings, and pulls out her other earbud. INT. MONTGOMERY HOUSE - LUCY'S ROOM - DAY Small, with a sloped ceiling and lonely window. There's only room for a single bed, a dresser, a bookcase, and a desk. Everything has already been unpacked. The only adornment is a PENCIL SKETCH of an angel crouching to protect a little girl, taped over the bed. Lucy's Gran turns to Lucy, who still wears her sunglasses. She seems incredibly tall in this tiny room. Her Gran pulls her into a big hug. This makes Lucy visibly uncomfortable. She starts to breathe very quickly. GRAN You sure you’re up for this? I could always just hire you a tutor. Lucy shakes her head, no, into her Gran’s shoulder. Her Gran holds her at arm’s length and takes a long look at her. By this point, Lucy's hyperventilating. Her Gran lets her go. Lucy's breathing immediately starts to slow down. GRAN (CONT’D) Well, at the very least, I should stay for your counseling appointment. Lucy pulls off her sunglasses to give her a withering look-revealing that HER EYES ARE TWO DIFFERENT COLORS, one GREEN, and one VIOLET. LUCY It’s time for you to go.
4. GRAN Right. (pulls her into another hug) Call me if you need anything. I'll see you next weekend. Lucy shrugs out of the hug, trying not to hyperventilate again, and her Gran finally leaves, smearing a tear off her cheek with her hand. Lucy moves to the window to watch her climb into her car and drive away. EXT. MONTGOMERY HOUSE - OUTSIDE LUCY'S WINDOW - DAY Lucy puts her sunglasses back on. Clinging to the brick wall like a spider, the Cloaked Figure watches as she moves away from the window without ever noticing he's there. EXT. ST. JOAN'S ACADEMY - CLASSROOM BUILDING - DAY Well-maintained classic brick structure mimicking the Ivy League schools these students will one day attend. Lucy, now in uniform, approaches the front door, her arms full of books. She pulls out a piece of paper and tries to maneuver so she can look at it-but then someone BUMPS her and she drops all her books. She immediately crouches to pick them up and GLARES at the STUDENTS who bumped into her-who all STUMBLE FORWARD, as if BLOWN by a strong wind-but then Lucy notices there’s a bit of a BLUR in one spot near the corner of the building, near the woods - or a sort of WAVERING - almost like the air is SHIMMERING, and gets up to check it out. EXT. WOODS - DAY The Cloaked Figure stands very still as Lucy walks directly toward it. Lucy, now only a few steps away, reaches out her hand to touch whatever it is she can see.
5. Instinctively, the Cloaked Figure stretches out its hand, too. But just when they are about to touch fingers-Lucy sniffs at the air and makes a face. She looks past the Cloaked Figure, into the woods, and it quickly drops its arm and steps aside, without even making a sound. Standing amongst the trees is ESME (15), a petite punky girl with shining dark hair, porcelain skin, and delicate cat’s eye glasses. Definitely someone who’s much tougher than she looks. Lucy watches as Esme drops several PHOTOGRAPHS into a small BONFIRE she’s made, her face impassive. After she’s sure they’ve burned to ash, Esme grabs a BUCKET OF SAND and makes sure to stifle the flame carefully. Then she tosses aside the CIGARETTE she’s been smoking, stubbing it out with her combat boot, and grabs her things before walking out of the woods into the building. With fascination, Lucy follows her. INT. CLASSROOM BUILDING - HALLWAY - DAY Lucy watches as Esme disappears into a crowded classroom. She looks down at her paper - her CLASS SCHEDULE - then back up at the door. Smiling, she walks inside. INT. CLASSROOM - DAY Rows of old-fashioned oak desks, each with a brand-new IPAD, face the front of the room, which is outfitted with the newest of SMART BOARDS. GROUPS OF UNIFORMED STUDENTS (14-15) stand scattered about, chatting as they wait for their teacher. Lucy looks around, noticing Esme at the back of the class, whispering with TOPHER (15), a slender, shy boy with constant oil paint stains on his fingers (and sometimes his clothes). He's got his arm protectively draped around her shoulders, and occasionally glances around the room to make sure no one's watching them. When he and Lucy make eye contact, though, he tilts his head slightly, as if unsure what to make of her. Lucy quickly looks away-
6. -and almost bumps into ARWEN (15), a stunning and wellmaintained brunette in a perfectly-tailored uniform. A few of ARWEN'S LACKEYS stand behind her. Arwen offers a straight, white smile. ARWEN You're new. Lucy smiles back. I'm Lucy. LUCY
A look of recognition comes over Arwen's face. ARWEN You're the girl from Gilead. That's so fascinating. Lucy blinks her surprise, her smile faltering. LUCY How do you know that? Arwen's smile grows. Her lackeys chuckle. ARWEN (winks) My parents are on the Board; I know a lot of things. (beat) My name is Arwen. She half-waves toward the girls behind her. ARWEN (CONT’D) This is Jess, Jessie, and Jessica. She gives Lucy a slow once-over, then nods approvingly. ARWEN (CONT’D) You should come sit by us. Lucy glances back at Esme and Topher. Now they're both watching her. LUCY (to Arwen) Sure. She lets Arwen pull her to the opposite side of the room, to an empty seat next to her.
7. She forces a smile and folds herself into the too-small desk. Thanks. LUCY (CONT’D)
CHAPLAIN ANDERSON (40's), a smug balding man in a religious collar, steps to the front of the room. CHAPLAIN ANDERSON Alright, welcome to Religion 201. Most of the students GROAN. EXT. CLASSROOM BUILDING - DAY The Cloaked Figure stands next to Lucy's class window, watching what's going on inside. Suddenly, an ANGEL drops from the sky to attack it! The Cloaked Figure jumps out of the way just in time to avoid the angel's KATANA SWORD-and UNSHEATHES its own BO STAFF. CLOAKED FIGURE If you insist. The KNOCKING OF SWORD AGAINST STAFF is loud as the two battle for their lives. INT. CLASSROOM - DAY Nothing can be heard - or seen - from inside. The students are now quietly working at their desks, while Chaplain Anderson walks up and down the rows. He stops next to Lucy. CHAPLAIN ANDERSON Miss Grier - I'm a big fan of Corey Hart's oeuvre, but I'd rather not have my students live out his lyrics. Give me the sunglasses. Lucy hands him the offending eyewear and shrinks into herself, glancing around to make sure no one's staring at her-and catches Arwen looking at her with wonder. After Chaplain Anderson has passed:
8. ARWEN (whispered) Are those color contacts? Lucy shakes her head, no-and FREEZES, looking past Arwen and out the window. EXT. CLASSROOM BUILDING - DAY In the midst of fighting, the Cloaked Figure’s hood has fallen from his head, revealing a tall, very handsome and slightly glowing man with an intense gaze. His name is BLAKE. INT. CLASSROOM - DAY Arwen nudges one of her Lackeys, snickering at Lucy's petrified expression. LUCY'S POV: ALL SHE SEES IS BLAKE'S HANDSOME HEAD, SEEMINGLY FLOATING IN MIDAIR. Arwen turns to look outside, too. ARWEN'S POV: NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY. She turns back to Lucy and snaps her fingers in front of her face. ARWEN Hello-o? Anybody home? Lucy just continues to stare outside, her face pale with fear. EXT. CLASSROOM BUILDING - DAY Blake does a ROUNDHOUSE KICK, sending the katana of his opponent flying, and quickly hits him across his back with his staff. He then dispatches him to the other dimension, not even breaking up a sweat. Then he looks up to see Lucy staring right at him. Damn. CLOAKED FIGURE/BLAKE
He pulls his hood back over his head.
9. INT. CLASSROOM - DAY Lucy watches with wide eyes. LUCY'S POV: BLAKE'S HEAD SUDDENLY DISAPPEARS AGAIN, LEAVING ONLY SHIMMERING AIR BEHIND. Lucy swallows hard. Arwen raises her hand. ARWEN Chaplain Anderson? I think Lucy's having an episode. The whole class turns to look at Lucy. Lucy shakes herself out of her reverie and notices everyone staring at her. She opens her mouth as if to speak-but then the CLASS BELL RINGS. She gathers her things and stands, dazed. LUCY Excuse me. I have an appointment. She walks to Chaplain Anderson's desk, where he hands her her sunglasses without a word. The rest of the class bursts into a CACOPHONY OF GOSSIP. Arwen watches Lucy put the sunglasses back on and leave the room, her expression one of amazement. Esme and Topher, meanwhile, exchange a glance at the back of the room. END OF ACT ONE.