You are on page 1of 8

12/5/2013

1920s
In the 1920s, the U.S. government put restrictions on immigration because there were strong feelings of nativism in the U.S. NATIVISM: favoring native-born inhabitants of the U.S. over immigrants

Teapot Dome Scandal


The Teapot Dome Scandal involved illegally transferring oil reserved from the Navy department and accepting bribes for leasing the land. This happened during Warren Hardings presidency. The effect of the Teapot Dome Scandal was that Americans began losing trust in the U.S. government.

12/5/2013

Great Depression
The major causes and economic factors that led to the Great Depression: 1. Prior overproduction of manufactured goods 2. Decrease in demand for products after the stock market crashed 3. Buying stocks on margin (paying 10% of the stock price and paying the other 90% back later, after you sold the stock) 4. Over-speculation in the stock market (buying LOTS of stocks on margin)

Great Depression
The major effects of the Great Depression were: 1. High unemployment 2. Falling real estate values

12/5/2013

Great Depression
Most banks in the United States were closed by 1937 because a majority of Americans were too poor to have any money in savings in the bank.

Great Depression
Dorothea Lange was a famous photographer during the Great Depression because her photos expressed the pain and suffering experienced by Americans during the Great Depression.

12/5/2013

The Dust Bowl


Farmers actions led to the Dust Bowl because they dried up the topsoil and used too much ground water. The Dust Bowl occurred during the Great Depression (1930s) on the Great Plains (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado). Most farmers were forced to move to the far west because of the Dust Bowl.

Mexican Repatriation Act


The purpose of the Mexican Repatriation Act was to send Mexican-American immigrants back to Mexico. Repatriation: returning to your country of origin

12/5/2013

New Deal
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) created the New Deal to relieve the unemployed, recover the U.S. economy from the Great Depression and reform the U.S. system to prevent a future depression. The guiding principle of the New Deal economic policies was that the government must assume greater responsibility for helping the unfortunate. The New Deal changed American political thinking because the federal government was now expected to solve social and economic problems.

New Deal
FDR used a system of trial and error to fix the economy during the Great Depression.

12/5/2013

New Deal
Agricultural Adjustment Act (AAA): the government paid farmers for their surplus crops Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC): young men were given jobs planting trees and cleaning up forests and sent most of their paycheck home to their family
CCC & Works Progress Administration (WPA) were created to help solve the unemployment problemthey put people back to work

Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA): provided jobs and improved the standard of living in the Appalachia region of the U.S.

New Deal
Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) & Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC): supposed to restore the publics faith in financial institutions FDR responded to the change in the economy during the Great Depression by created the Social Security Act and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). Social Security made the government more responsible for the peoples economic welfare.

12/5/2013

New Deal
President FDR justified his New Deal programs by saying that the government should be responsible for Americans well-being. The New Deal continued the Progressive Era policy of the government regulating big business. President Hoover vs. President FDR
FDR was more willing to use government intervention to solve economic problems

FDR believe that his plan for the New Deal was risky because the Great Depression had threatened all Americans faith in their democracy

Anti-FDR (FDR haters)


Conservatives thought FDR was giving the government too much power and too much control Conservatives thought FDR was endangering the free enterprise system
Free enterprise: the system of supply and demand in the U.S. EX: The government doesnt set the price of your iPhone. Apple sets the price based on how much it costs to produce the iPhone and how much they believe people will pay for the iPhone.

Father Coughlin was an outspoken priest who thought the solution to the Great Depression was to nationalize banks and utilities.
Nationalize: give the government ownership and control

12/5/2013

FDRs Court-Packing Scheme


FDR had a plan to add new, younger Supreme Court justices with the goal of guaranteeing the Supreme Court would support his New Deal programs. This plan was in conflict with the principle of checks and balances because it would have given the President too much power. Most people were against FDRs proposal because his power would increase too much.