You are on page 1of 2


Fall 2013 Admitted Students
Orientation has already taken place. Here are your next steps to prepare for the upcoming semester. Review this checklist to make sure you are ready to start your academic career at UM-Dearborn.

 Take Placement Exams
Placement exams should be taken before meeting with an academic advisor. If time does not allow, exams must be taken within the first two to four weeks of the semester. -The University of Michigan-Dearborn requires that all students take the English Composition placement exam regardless of transferring or AP credit. -If you are not transferring Pre-Calculus or Calculus, you are required to take the Mathematics Placement exam in order to register for a Mathematics class based on your major. The Mathematics department provides sample questions and study aids at: Exams can be set up by the Office of Admissions and Orientation by calling 313-593-5100. Results for the English Composition, Mathematics, and Foreign Language placement exams take two to three weeks to be processed. Please plan accordingly.

 Meet with your Academic Advisor for Scheduling
Advising is required of all incoming students before you can schedule your classes. College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters (CASL), College of Education, Health, and Human Services (CEHHS), College of Business (COB) and College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS) all have academic advisors. COB (Pre-Business): Students should register for a Transfer Orientation online at or by contacting the Office of Admissions and Orientation at 313-593-5100. Advising and registration will take place at transfer orientation. All Other Academic Units should schedule an individual advising appointment: CASL: Contact the Student Advising office, 1039 CASL Bulding, 313-593-5293. CEHHS: Contact the Student Advising office, 262 Fairlane Center South, 313-593-5090. CECS: Contact the Student Advising office, 2000 Heinz Prechter Engineering Complex, 313-593-5510.

 Register for Classes
All new students have a hold on their account which prohibits students from registering from courses. The hold is removed by an academic advisor once the student has completed an individual advising appointment. Web Registration - Students may use the Web to register or add and drop classes from now through the first two weeks of a full term, or the first week of a half term or mini-term. Web registration is available from 6:00 a.m. to 11:45 p.m. Walk-In Registration - Forms for the purpose of adding a course after advising may be picked up from the school or college in which the student is enrolled, the Enrollment Services Office (located in the University Center), or downloaded from the Registration and Records website, Completed forms must be returned to the Enrollment Services counter for processing. Enrollment Services is open during the add/drop period Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am until 6:30 pm and Friday from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm.

 Pick up an Orientation “Essentials” Packet
At the Office of Admissions and Orientation located on the first floor of the University Center

 Review the Online Orientation Packet –
University of Michigan-Dearborn • 4901 Evergreen Road, Dearborn, MI 48128 -2406 • 313-593-5100 •  Visit and Tour Campus Take a campus tour with a current student! Visit umd.  Get your student MCard and Parking Permit Your MCard is the University of Michigan-Dearborn’s single card program that combines many features. and counseling and health services Office for Student Engagement – 2136 UC Learn about ways to get involved on campus Questions? Contact the Office of Admissions and Orientation at 313-593-5100 or disability services.  Visit the Bookstore The bookstore is located in 1255 University Center. For your permit to be mailed. You are required to have a valid MCard. Visit the website at umd. It’s a photo identification. There is no cost for a parking permit for students.  Connect with Offices on Campus      Financial Aid – 1183 UC Ensure all paperwork and supporting documents are complete Student Success Center – 2170 UC Find out about tutoring and other academic services Career Services – 2149 UC Get help with writing a resume and interviewing tips Counseling and Support Services – 2157 UC Obtain information on housing. but it also offers Wellness Center admission. Your student MCard can be obtained in the University Center at the Information . please include your name.umich. and library borrowing privileges. Dearborn. software and accessories. You must provide a copy of your Fall course schedule to obtain your MCard. Welcome to the University of Michigan-Dearborn Community! GO BLUE! University of Michigan-Dearborn • 4901 Evergreen Road. Visit the bookstore in person or online to gain information about textbooks and other school necessities. computer hardware. debit dollars for for our daily tour times.Freshman Fall 2013 Admitted Students  Set-Up Your UM-Dearborn Email Account Information is sent by Information Technology Services within two weeks after being admitted. You can also receive your permit by mail by sending an e-mail to parking@umd. and UM-Dearborn gear.umich. Call 313-593-5100 to schedule a visit. address and UMID number or Social Security to purchase textbooks. Hours for the information desk are: August and September Monday-Thursday: 8:00 am until 7:00 pm Friday: 8:00 am until 6:00 pm Saturday: 9:00 am until 4:00 pm Sunday: Closed Parking permits can be picked up from the Information Desk by showing your valid MCard and current class schedule.umich. MI 48128 -2406 • 313-593-5100 • orientation@umd. You must be registered for classes to receive a parking sticker. Call Information Technology Services at 313-593-4357 for assistance with email accounts.