Name: Min Bahadur Shakya Date of Birth: Jan 19, 1951 Marital Status: Married Address:
P.O.Box.100, Chakupat Lalitpur, Kathmandu 44701 5520558 5527446 :firstname.lastname@example.org
Website:www.niem.com.np Education: MSc.B.Ed (Tribhuvan University)
Professional Association: • Associate Professor- Institute of Engineering-Pulchowk Campus ( 2008)
Visiting Lecturer-Department of Buddhist Studies, Kirtipur (2000-2007) Director-Nagarjuna Institute of Exact Methods-Chakupat-Patan Chairman-Himalayan Buddhist Education Foundation-Chakupat/Patan Member-Lumbini Development Council- Kathmandu Chief Editor- Buddhist Himalaya-Journal of Nagarjuna institute
• • •
2001-present o Founder and moderator of Sanskritbuddhism group [http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/sanskritbuddhism] 1988-present. o Founder and Editor of the Buddhist Himalaya journal 2001-present. o Lumbini Development Council Member 1999-present. o Member of the Pacific Neighbourhood consortium www.pnclink.org Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan. 1999-present. o Member of Electronic Cultural Atlas Initiative www.ecai.org, University of California, Berkeley.USA
2002 -present Member of International Association of Religious studies, USA
2005-present Member of International Association of Buddhist Studies, IABS
2003-present: Project In charge-Nagarjuna Institute of Exact Methods 1. Sanskrit Buddhist Canon Digitization Project-2003 Sponsored by the University of the West, Los Angeles, USA 2. Buddhist Nuns Education Project-2000-presentSponsored by Peabody Museum-Harvard University, USA 3. Rare Buddhist Manuscript Preservation Project- 2009, Sponsored by the University of the West Los Angeles, USA
Languages: English French Sanskrit Tibetan Experience: Conference Attended 1 3rd WFBY Conference Tokyo & Kyoto Japan 1978 2 4th WFBY Conference Bangkok & Chiangmai Thailand 1980 3 Youth Seminar on World Religions New York USA 1982 4 5th WFBY Conference Colombo- Srilanka 1984 5 Assembly of World Religions: AWR New Jersey USA 1985 6 World Buddhist Youth Seminar- Fokuang Shan Taiwan 1985 7 6th WFBY Conference -Kathmandu Nepal 1986 8 Council of World Religions -Badnauheim Germany 1987 9 Sutric and Tantric Buddhist Conference -Fokuang Shan Taiwan 1987 10 Buddhism and Christianity -Berkeley USA 1987
11 7th WFBY Conference-Los Angeles USA 1988 12 Buddhist Ethics and Modern Society Conference- Taipei Taiwan 1991 13 Buddhism and World Peace conference -Taipei Taiwan 1993 14 Newar Buddhist culture Seminar -Patan Nepal 1993 15 Silk Route Conference- Lumbini Nepal 1995 Oct 16 Higher Education in Modern Asia Conference- Kaohsiung Taiwan 1996 Nov 17 Nepal Mandala Seminar -Kathmandu Nepal 1998Oct 18 1st World Buddhist Summit -Lumbini Nepal 1999Nov 19 PNC/ECAI/EBTI Conference -Taipei Taiwan 1999Jan 20 EFEO Conference- Bangkok Thailand 1999Nov 21 PNC/ECAI/EBTI Conference -Berkeley USA 2000Jan 22 6th Sakyadhita Conference -Lumbini Nepal 2000Feb 23 NIAS Conference -Bangalore India 2000Dec 24 Buddhism and Literature Conference -Varanasi India 2001 Feb 25 ECAI Conference Hong Kong 2001Jan 26. International conference on Buddhist Art in south Asia (3rd century BC- 7th Century A.D. organized by Tibet House, New Delhi on March 25-26, 2001 27 International conferences on." Global Networking in the Digital Age" May 18-26, Seoul National University, Korea, 2002 28.PNC and ECAI 2002 conference at University of Shimane city and University of Osaka at Sept.15-23, Osaka 2002 29. International Conference on “Enlightenment
and Its Cultural Aspects in the Modern Perspective” held in Seoul, South Korea, October 16-17, 2003.
30. PNC/ECAI Joint meetings at Sirindhorn Anthropology Center on Nov 7-9, Bangkok.2003 31. PNC/ECAI Joint Meeting at Academia Sinica, Taipei, Oct.16-22, 2004 32.Paper presentation on " Svayambhu Purana: A source of Buddhist practice in Nepal" at 14th IABS conference organized by School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London from Aug.29-Sept.3,2005 , SOAS,London.
33. Paper presentation On "Princess Bhrikuti and her contribution" at Scottish Center for Himalayan Research, University of Aberdeen, King's College. Scotland on Aug.27, 2005. 34. Paper presentation on" Lumbini and its Environs" at Hawaii, University of Monoa,2006, 35.Paper presentation on Xuanzang and his contribution to Nepal" at Chengdu, China 2006, 36. Paper presentation"" Namobuddha and its Environs" at Moscow organized by PNC/ECAI on May 29-June 4, 2007 37. Paper Presentation on "Dance of Astamatrika"at Cernuschi museum, Paris on Dec 67,2007 38. Paper presentation on " Digital Sanskrit Buddhist canon: Prospects and future at CBETA/EBTI conference held at Dharma Drum Buddhist college, Taipei on Feb 13-17, 2008. 39. Paper Presentation on "Uposadhavrata of Amoghpasa Lokeshvara" at Foguang University, Yilan, Taiwan on May 7-9, 2008 40. Paper presentation on "21st Century Tripitaka : Development of Sanskrit Buddhist Canon"at 5th UN Vesak Celebration held at Hanoi on May 13-17,2008 41. Paper presentation at ECAI/PNC conference at Hanoi on Dec.4-6, 2008 on “Towards a comprehensive Digital Sanskrit Buddhist canon”. 42.Paper presentation at BHU from Jan.2-6,2009 on " Survival of Indic Buddhism in the Kathmandu Valley"
Books Published 1 Lokeshvara Strotramala Thyaka Nakabahil Nepal 1978 2 Lalitavistara Sutra YMBA Nepal 1978 3 Icons of 108 Lokeshvaras YMBA Nepal 1979 4 A Short history of Buddhism in Nepal YMBA Nepal 1984 5 Introduction to Buddhist Monasteries YMBA Nepal 1986 6. Arya Amoghpash Lokeshvara hrdaya Suta (ed) NIEM Nepal 1992
7. Manjushri Namasangiti (ed) NIEM Nepal 1993 8. Iconography of Nepalese Buddhism HAN Kathmandu 1994 9. Gunakarandavyuha Sutra (ed.) NIEM Nepal 1995 10. Life and Contribution of Nepalese Princess Bhrikuti Devi -Book Faith India, Delhi India 1997 11. Bodhnath Stupa-Talisman,Kathmandu Nepal 1997 12 Eight Verses on Mind Training (tr.)NIEM Nepal 1997 13 Bodhicittotpada( tr) NIEM Nepal 1997 14 Life and Liberation of Padmasambhava (tr)-Indu shiddhi Interprise, Pimbahal Nepal 1999 15 Arya Upakausalya Sutra (tr) NIEM Nepal 2000 16 Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva Pranidhan Sutra(tr) NIEM Nepal 2000 17 Samantabhadra Carya pranidhan (tr) NIEM Nepal 2000 18 Sutra on Kindness of Parents NIEM (tr)Nepal 2000 19 Samyak Festival- Nakabahil Nepal 2000 20 Sacred Art of Nepal -HAN Nepal 2000 ( English) 21 Svayambhu Purana-NIEM 2001 22 Sukhavativyuha Sutra-NIEM,2002 23 Amitayurdhyana Sutra-NIEM-2002 24. Manjusribuddhaksetragunavyuhalankara Sutra (tr)-NIEM 2003 25-Arya Astottarasatanama Tara Stotra(tr)-NIEM/2003 26. Pancaraksa sutra-edited-NIEM, 2004
27. Hiranyavarna Mahavihara: A unique monastery of Newar Buddhism, Nagarjuna Publications, Patan -2004 28. Svayambhu Mahacaitya (English tr) (900pages)- -Svayambhu Vikash Mandal-2005 29. Ksemendra's Avadanakalpalata (Newari translation) (600pages)-Sakya Jah.Pvt.Ltd.2005 30. Images of Wisdom and compassion: Published by Susan Collection, Kathmandu, 2006 31. Jewel Ornament of Liberation-trans. In Nepali (ed.)-published by The Corporate Body of Buddha Educational foundation, Taipei-2008, 32. Life of Milarepa (Trans. in Nepali) ed. published by The Corporate Body of Buddha Educational foundation, Taipei-2008, 33. The Life of Nepalese Buddhist Master Buddhabhadra (in English ) published by China study center, Kathmandu, 2009 Articles Written: (selected only)
1. A Complete Path to Enlightenment Fokuang shan Kaohsiung 1987
2. Buddhist Perspective on Development Tamang Gendung Kathmandu 1995 3. Buddhism on Himalayan Regions, Fokuang University Kaohsiung 1996 4. Ethics of a Medical Practitioner from a Buddhist perspective IOM,T.U Kathmandu 1997 5. Iconography of Five Buddhas , HAN Kathmandu 6. Iconography of Harihariharivahana Lokeshvara, Okubahal Patan 7. Interfaith Religious Dialogue Badnauheim, CWR Germany 1987 8. Practice of Bodhicitta: Assembly of World Religion/ New Jersey, 1987 9. Practice of Compassion: Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley, 1987 10. Stages of the Path with special reference to Nepalese Buddhism -Chinese Buddhist Research Academy, Fo kuang Shan 1989 11. Mind Training Practices in Everyday Life Chung Hwa Institute of Buddhist Studies Taipei 1991 12. A study of Vajrayana Buddhism in Nepal -Nepal Buddhist Culture Seminar Patan 1993 13. Monasticism in Newar Buddhism Lotus Research Center Kathmandu 1998 14. Nagarjuna on Relative Bodhicitta Gorakhpur Univ India 1999 15. Newar Buddhism: Problems and Perspectives Academia Sinica Taipei, 1999 16. Hiranyavarna Mahavihara: A unique monastery of Newar Buddhism EFEO, Bangkok, (1999) 17. Preservation of Sanskrit Buddhist Manuscript in Kathmandu Valley -University .of California Berkeley, USA 2000 18. Early Buddhist Stone Sculptures of Nepal from 3rd century BC to 7th century AD, Tibet House seminar 2000 19. Diffusion of Buddhism in the West through Internet, NIAM at Bangalore, India Dec 10-17,2000 20. Great Compassion: at BHU conference on Buddhism, Varanasi 2002,
21. Digitization of Buddhist Materials in Katmandu Valley, Seoul National University, May
18-26,2002 22. Digitization of Sanskrit Buddhist Texts in Nepal-at EBTI conference-Osaka city University, 20-23, September 2002 23. Bhavanakrama: Acarya Kamalashila's views on Path to Buddhist Enlightenment, at Korea University, Seoul, Korea. 24. Svayambhu Mahacaitya: A source of Buddhist cultural heritage of Nepal, Nov 7-9, 2003 at Bangkok. 25. Boudhnath Stupa and its environs: A Vatican of Tibetan Buddhism in Nepal-paper presented at Academia Sinica, Taipei, Oct-16-22, 2004 26. Svayambhu Purana: A source of Nepalese Buddhist practice, presented at 14th IABS conference, organized by SOAS, London, on Aug.29-Set.3, 2005. 27. Master Xuan Zang and his contribution to Nepal-presented at Chengdu,2006 Thesis Guide: for MA students in Buddhist studies (T.U)-2006 1. Mahendra Ratna Shakya: 2. Manish Shakya: 3. Hiranya Raj Vajracharya4. Puspa Ratna ShakyaAwards and Fellowship Research Associate Award by Fokuangshan Chinese Buddhist Research Academy,Kaohsiung, Taiwan 1989 SAARC Buddhist Fellowship by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bhutan 1990 Dhanavajra Talent Awards by Ministry of Culture, HMG 2001 Early Buddhist Sculpture of NepalBuddhist Architecture Bodhisattva ideals in Buddhism on Buddhist Arts