This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Based on, 3 mistakes of my life By Chetan Bhagat
1. FADE IN INT PRISON CELL - NIGHT TRANSITION TO DAY BREAK A man’s figure seated in the darkness looking out at the sliver of sky seen through the wire mesh of the window.. A halogen outside the window throws a grid shadow on to the wall.... The shaft of light changes from the yellow of the halogen into the soft hue of dawn... as the light changes we see that the wall is adorned with old newspaper cut outs and some photographs featuring Ali ... TITLES BEGIN AS MUSIC FADES IN Picture of Ali at net practise...old newspaper cut out of Ali scoring a century in the under 16 tournament... a picture of Ali with Govind at his new sports store... news clipping of Ali being selected for the IPL matches. EXT. EXPRESSWAY - DAY 32 year old Govind driving through the highway in a Toyota Innova. A cricket memorabilia like a figure of a batsman hangs from the rear view mirror. The toy batsman sways gently as Govind speeds through the highway. Song continues. INT. PRISON BATHROOM - DAY An old stained mirror with a crack running down its middle reflects the face of a 34 year old Omi with an overgrown stubble. The man picks up a razor from an aluminium mug placed on an equally dirty bathroom sink and starts shaving. Song continues. INT. PRISON BATHROOM - DAY Omi stares at his clean shaven reflection on the cracked mirror, his hands still holding the razor near his throat. For a second he pauses and presses the blade on his skin, a small spot of blood oozes out, just as a group of men shuffle inside the prison bathroom talking amongst themselves. TITLES END. SONG FADES OUT. EXT. PRISON COMPOUND - DAY Omi and Govind standing leaning against the taxi... Govind lights a cigarette and Omi asks for one. Govind looks surprised and asks since when... Omi smiles and says one of the guilty pleasures he picked up inside.
2. There’s a bit of silence between them which Govind breaks by saying they should get going or they’ll be late. INT/EXT CAR ON PUNE BOMBAY EXPRESS WAY - DAY Govind ends a business call and turns to look at his friend. Omi asks how is business. Govind says can’t complain. There’s an awkward silence between the two as Govind concentrates on the road ahead and Omi looks out of the window. EXT. LONAVLA BUS STOP PLAZA - DAY The car parks in as Govind says lightly, that the eatery here won’t stand a chance against Gopi’s but at least the chikkis can cater to Omi’s sweet tooth. Both of them step out of the car and walk into the eatery. They stand at a corner table sipping on their teas... there’s a tv playing across the hall and Omi is staring at it somewhat blankly, trying to absorb the flashes of visuals as someone surfs through the swiftly. The surfing stops at a sports channel showing the promo for the current IPL season.. Govind follows Omi’s gaze to catch the visual of a loud appeal by a bowler... INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT The umpire out on the typical of middle and and entire raises his finger to gesture that the batsman is television screen. The tv is placed on a show case many Indian middle class homes... the tv in the everything ranging from knick knacks, old trophies crockery sets on display.
23 year old Ishaan throws a crumpled ball of newspaper on the tv monitor and turns to shout at Govind for changing seats at such a critical juncture of the game. Govind does a quick summary of the match situation...21 runs to win in four overs with seven wickets...reqd.run rate 5.25 Per over. Ishaan makes an irritated face and comments that Govind better keep his maths to himself... India always gets shaky after losing Tendulkar. All through this Omi you can see is chanting something..( May be the hanuman chalisa) Threes a presence of a young girl moving around the house but we never see her, infact we realise that the boys in the house are making a conscious effort not to look her way.
3. Suddenly there’s a honking which catches Ishaan ear from a distance .. only Ishaan can hear it, something snaps in him ( may be its Tendulkar having just gotten out). He gets up and pulls open a door and takes out a bat from behind and opens the main the door and heads straight down the stairs with Govind and Omi in tow. EXT. ISHAANS HOUSE. - EVENING As he reaches the road below we see a maruti esteem just about reaching him and he suddenly slows his pace, pastes a smile on his face and stops the car.. he goes up to the driver and says "your left head light is hanging out". This prompts the slightly muscular tight t shirt wearing "dude" to step out . As soon as he does so Ishaan doesn't spare a moment gets out and slams the head light with the bat in his hand. Ishaan screaming in the scared drivers face. “ Chutiya.. If you ever come around here, I’ll break your neck. “ The guye tries to answer Ishaan , Ishaan gives him a tight slap across his face. Ishaan is so aggressive and over the top , it scares the tough chap shitless.. infact seeing ishaan flying off the handle anyone would feel like that.. it would be impossible to match his rage. His father has stepped out is trying to get him under control also cant keep up with Ishaan. His father tries to hold him back , Ishaan shrugs his father also off and is still looking in the drivers face trying to get him to respond. FATHER Kya kar raha hai tu ISHAAN Vidhya ko ched raha hai 2 hafte se.. Sabak sikha raha hoon And smacks him one more time. Father pulls him back
FATHER Tu apne sabak kab seekhega
4. Hearing that Ishaan still stares at him. In the background one can hear the neighborhood go up in a roar , India has won the match. Something switches off in Ishaans head. The fire in his eyes disappears and he backs off. Ishaan pulls a finger on the dudes face and looks him straight in the eye. The dude immediately goes back to his car begging forgiveness.. Ishaan starts to move back to the house with his 2 buddies in tow.. Seeing the son back off the father starts rambling FATHER Ek saal se to ghar baitha hai. Nda mein to tik nahin paya.. Dooosron ko sabak sikhane chala hai.. Yeh aur iske loafer dost Omi follows Ishaan quickly while Govind turns and gives the father a sheepish look.. And follows the two immediately FATHER Poori zindagi barbad kardi match dekh dekh ke.. Aur ek din.. Lage raho INT. ISHAANS HOUSE - EVENING Ishaan storms into the house and sees India has won the match. His mood switches instantly and suddenly is jumping with joy. The complete rage has disappeared and only love and joy is on his face. ISHAAN Yes yes yes.. Dinner on me tonight.. Gopi Govind smiles hearing of the elaan-e-treat. Omi looks at his watch and reacts Shit.. gaye!! OMI 6 Baje ki arti.. Mar
He jumps out of his seat and grabs Govind by his collar OMI Chal chal chal chal..
5. ISHAAN 8 baje gopi As the 2 leave the house, ishaan plonks himself back on the couch and continues watching the award ceremony. EXT. GOVINDS HOUSE - EVENING Govind reaches his house on foot. A local chap says hi to govind and speaks with a lot of familiarity which Govind dismisses. As he walks further an older gentleman addresses Govind with some respect NEIGHBOUR Kaise ho govind bhai, bahut dinon baad. GOVIND Sab theek aap bataiye market kaise chal raha hai NEIGHBOUR Upar wale ki dua hai Govind moves on and reaches the door step of his house. His mother is packing food to be dispatched to the retailer. She is talking to the retailer who kind of goes on alert the moment he sees govind walk into the house. You see a distinct change in govind from the boy he was when he was with ishaan watching the match to the man he becomes when he comes home. As he reaches he goes straight to his desk in the corner and pulls out his diary, takes off his shoes and sits crossed legs on the gaadi and gets down to doing the hisaab with the retailer. The mother gets up and goes to the kitchen and gets chaas in a metal flask from the fridge and pours it for govind who doesnt respond to the daily gesture. Govind proceeds and finishes off the weekly settlement with the retailer. Removes 10 boxes as the payment is short for the theplas and the mother moves in and says its ok govind and puts them back. Govind tries not to react and gives the retailer a look and the mother diffuses the situation. The retailer gets up , packs his goods in his tempo and gets out saying bye to mom and govind bhai, govind does not react. Govind removes his shirt goes to the tiny old bathroom (indian potty style) and is washing his face while he sounds off his mom. He flips the door to the room and pulls out an almost fresh shirt hanging behind and starts to put it on. His mom explains to govind about him going to engineering college and getting his degree, govind brushes it off by saying this is her regular ritual of giving him a lecture.
6. GOVIND Im going to gopi for dinner His mom is a little disappointed but doesn’t say anything as Govind leaves. INT.TEMPLE - NIGHT Arti is in progress. Omi's father heads the Arti as he is the head pujari. His father has a calm gentle look on his face, his mother is one step behind the father and Omi and his mama stand side by side. Omi looks impressionable but is more interested in gently flexing his tricep reassuring himself that the pump is still on. The mama is in a trance and is the one who chants the key lines with absolute fervour. His family is in the tradional dhoti kurta attire except Omi who is in his jeans and t shirt.The arti gets over and the mama looks into the after process. He hands the prasad thalis to the younger member of the temple management. Omi is handed one of the thalis and goes about distributing it to the 100 odd members present. Govind is 5th in line and takes the prasad. They share a look and Omi tells him to hang on 5 mins. Just then omis mama comes close to omi and molly cuddles him which govind finds quite ridiculous and embarrasses omi. INT. GOPI - NIGHT 3 of them around a table at a traditional gujarati restaurant. Waiters moving around with multiple bowls serving people all they can eat. Omi is focused on his food while ishaan is selecting what should be served and govind is eating like a bird. Ishaan is being funny and cracks a joke which omi finds very funny and govind tells him to take it easy on the wise cracks. One can see govind is in a more serious frame of mind and has an agenda. ISHAAN Why so serious munimji.. main de raha hoon Paise to
GOVIND Paise aaenge kahaan se.. Kya socha hai future ke bare mein.. We are not kids anymore ISHAAN Unfortunately (with a look of remorse)
7. He sees govinds serious face and makes a lame effort to snap out of it GOVIND Kya kare ga ab ISHAAN Soch raha hoon computer course kar loon, ya insurance salesman ban jaoon ya phir credit card bechoon As ishaan speaks out his options his mood starts to take a sudden dip. The reality of his words hits Omi as well who realises dinner is no longer going to be fun. Now they both look at govind. GOVIND I want to start a business Oh no.. ISHAAN Not again..
And makes a face of losing interest. Omi seeing ishaans expression loses interest as well and goes back to his food ISHAAN (CONT’D) Pichli baar kya tha? Fruit dealership. Saara din sade hue seb aur santre todte raho.. Uske baad kya tha omi? OMI (slurping his desert) Car accessory.. Keh raha tha bahut paise hain usme ISHAAN Saara din seat cover chadate raho. Phir kya tha.. Stock broker.. Woh,hota kya hai? Now govind is upset GOVIND Sadak ke kinare credit card bechega? Ish tu NDA se bhaag ke aaya hai aur omi tu?.. Fail hua 12th mein.. Do baar.. Tu to pujari banjayega .. hamara kya hoga? OMI (quite dismissive) Mujhe nahi banna pujari
8. GOVIND To phir tum mujhe shuru karnese pehlehi rokh rahe ho.. Is bar tumhare matlab ki cheez hai (pauses) Cricket!! Both Omi and Ishaan react.. Govind lifts his pinky and excuses himself giving the two time to absorb the magic word Govind comes back To kaise? ISHAAN
GOVIND Dukaan kholenge.. saaman ki
Both listen intently waiting for govind to continue GOVIND (CONT’D) Choti si dukaan hogi. Deposit ke paise ki problem hogi, isme omi ki madat chahiye Omi looks on confused GOVIND (CONT’D) Mandir ke bahar jo phool aur puja ki dukaane hain, wahan ek khali dukaan dekhi hai maine Omi looks involved OMI Jahaan woh kuber ki mithai ki dukaan thi.. (looks at ishaan) Mama ne khali kar wai hai abhi. Aur woh dhond rahe hai kisi naye kirayedaar ko. Magar wahaan to koi mandir se judi dukaan hi khulegi GOVIND Tumhe pane baba ko convince karna padega.. Trust walonse to wahi baat karte hain OMI Karte hain magar. Rozmarra toh mama hi sambhalte hain.. (looks at both) Kiraya denge hum?
9. GOVIND Haan.. Magar ekdum nahin. Do mahine ke baad aur deposit nahi milega OMI (looks at it like a challenge) Ma se baat karni padegi ISHAAN Sorry to ask, magar ek cricket ki dukaan , ek mandir complex main.. Kaun khareedne aayega.. Daadiyaan jo kirtan sunne aati hain? Waiter comes with bill and Ishaan puts his hand in his pocket GOVIND Good question.. Sune main ajeeb lagta hai magar socho.. Hamare balrampur mein koi sports ki dukaan hai? Nahi ISHAAN
GOVIND Dekho mandir mein saara parivar aata hai aur bacche mandir mein bahut bore hote hain.. Kya karenge woh? OMI Sahi keh raha hai yaar.. Tabhi toh itne gubbare wale bahar hote hain Now govind goes into 2nd gear GOVIND Aur upar se sabhi jaante ishaan kitna acha khiladi tha. Sab usi ke paas aayenge ISHAAN Magar christian aur muslim bachche? GOVIND Shuru mein shayad na aayein.. Lekin dheere dheere reputation banjayegi ISHAAN Aur maal kahaan se aayega
10. GOVIND Vastarpur mein ek supplier hai, mahine ke udhaar pe dega. ISHAAN Aur agar nahi chali to? GOVIND To loss mein bech denge, ghaata main uthaloonga.. Tution ke paise bachake rakhe hain maine.. (govind moves into 3rd gear) Lekin chalegi yaar.. Mehnat se karenge to daudegi.. Bas jagah mil jaye Both Ishaan and Omi look silently GOVIND (CONT’D) Come on guys I need you for this Omi reacts 1st OMI Main taiyaar hoon.. Pujari bhi nahi banoonga aur ghar se kaam hoga ISHAAN Main paise nahi dekhoonga.. cricket pe dhyaan doonga Sirf
GOVIND Of course.. Tujhe kya lagta hai tujhe paise sambhaalne doonga main?.. Partners?? GOVIND (CONT’D)
And puts his hand out OMI Naam kya rakhenge? GOVIND Ish se poocho Ishaan gives it a thought ISHAAN Team india cricket shop kaisa rahega?
11. GOVIND Mind blowing INT. OMI’S HOUSE. - DAY Bittoo mama, a ramrod straight 40 year old man, is in many ways the self assured man that Omi aspires to be. Fair complexioned, sharp features and a sense of confidence makes him quite an enigmatic character. Omi’s mother serves Bittoo some snacks and says lovingly that she has made his favourite dhoklas... Mama protests that she shouldn’t have taken the trouble. Omi’s mother won’t hear any of that and continues serving to her brother saying that he stays out on party work so often, God knows what he eats... now that he refuses to bring home a wife, if his elder sister wont care, then who will, after all family has to stick together... Mama laughs and says that’s why he has never felt the need of a wife... he’s already so well taken care of... Omi nudges his mother to broach the important topic of discussion. Omi’s mother then asks gently whether Bittoo has spoken to the Trust about renting the vacant shop out to Omi and his friends. Mama nods and says although the Trust encourages the shops to be related to religious activities and buyers are ready to give a good price for such a popular place. But Omi is the baby of the family and its good for young Hindu boys to be enterprising, so he’ll give it to them on a subsidised rent. Omi’s father also agrees that it would be good for Omi to be busy with something... he doesn’t have too much of an interest in temple activity. Bittoo Mama looks at Omi’s downcast eyes and says that the scriptures say that man will attain God through whatever he does honestly... puja is not the only way, in fact his party is trying to raise awareness amongst the youth about their heritage and religion through various programs. He says that he’ll be leaving town for a few weeks but when he returns Omi should remind him he will hand over some pamphlets and audio tapes to be kept in the shop... its good to distribute it amongst the youngsters. Omi’s father frowns and says after a pause that it wouldn’t be right to promote a political party in a place of worship. Omi’s mother looks irritated and tries to silence her husband.
12. Bittoo mama’s voice becomes slightly stern as he says that he’s just trying to help his son out, like he said, the shop could fetch a pretty amount... Omi’s dad looks embarrassed. Bittoo mama says in a pacifying tone that these are not political things... just awareness programs on Hindu religion and history. Ishaan whispers to Govind...religion and history in a sports shop ? Omi makes eyes at Ishaan to shut up and says he would like to help Bittoo mama in anyway possible. The smile returns to Bittoo mama’s face as he shares the sweetmeats with the guys, wishing them luck. INT/EXT CRICKET STORE - DAY All three set of parents hover around the shop... Omi’s father does a small puja and breaks the coconut as the shutters go up on the store. The sports shop looks a little out of place amidst the row of food vendors and other shops selling flowers, miniature idols, statues, some handicraft stores etc. Govind walks out and stares lovingly at the signboard, replete with pictures of Tendulkar and Ganguly. Omi joins Govind and says beautiful, isn’t it , pointing to the sign board. INT. CRICKET STORE - DAY The flies buzz over the crumbs of leftover food as Govind pulls out his ledger book and starts entering the expenses of the day...the earnings still show zero. Omi walks in briskly saying there are two kids coming this way... Govind asks him not to look so desperate. Two boys look into the store and enquire about tennis ball prices. Ish strikes up a conversation with them asking one of them does he bat or bowl...he goes on to give tips on batting and the right length of bat for him and Team India store makes its first sell, much to the pleasure of the business partners. Govind congratulates Ish for striking gold and says gleefully ‘we’re in business’ as he puts the money into the cash box. INT. CRICKET STORE - NIGHT Govind has the money piled neatly down to the last coin, he reads out from the ledger book- 8500 is their profit over last three months.
13. Ish grins and says that India winning the one day series with South Africa during summer vacation was a good break for them. Omi asks if he can take his share of profit back home to his mother. Govind points to one of the four piles of currency notes and says that’s their individual share and the fourth is to retain for business expansion. Ish asks what plans and Govind outlines his ambition of booking a shop at the new snazzy mall coming up at Navrangpura, in the new part of the city. Ish and Omi are surprised and ask what do they need another shop for, they already have one. Govind dismisses their short sightedness and says business in the new city will bring in much more profits... and the future of retail is in malls. Omi says he likes it here, where the kids are also mostly from the neighbourhood and there is a sense of familiarity. Ish insists if money has to go back into business they should buy a tv ... a match playing on tv will also attract footfall. Govond tries rationalising that its not a profitable investment. Ish insists and says he’s ready to put in his share for the tv. Govind sighs but does not let go of the opportunity to strike a deal... he says he’ll agree to the tv if Ish allows him to keep notebooks and stationery material... Ish rolls his eyes protesting that a sports store shouldn’t feel like a study centre. Govind argues that they have to increase revenue to 20,000 in the next quarter. Ish teases him that the next Ambani is busy planning expansion but wont let go of his cheapskate way and buy a tv for the shop. Govind agrees to the tv and suggests that they bring more business in by offering more services. Omi asks like what. Govind says Omi could train kids in physical fitness and Ish could give actual cricket coaching classes in the empty lot behind the temple. Govind himself will start taking tuitions in the mezzanine floor of the shop...that way even the parents will have some trust in sending their kids over to them... INT. CRICKET STORE - DAY Omi and Ish bring in the new tv and look at it with pride... Omi says first time he bought an electronic item with his money. Govind has a painter write ‘Stationary, maths tution and cricket coaching available’ on the sign board.
14. INT/EXT TEMPLE COMPOUND/CRICKET STORE/ EMPTY LOT/CITY STREETS - DAY/NIGHT Montage of life in the temple compound... The ‘business of religion’ that involves different vendors open up their shop from early morning...flower sellers, people selling pre packaged prasad packets to be offered at the temple, a self proclaimed ‘guide’ gives mostly fabricated tales about when the temple was formed, some others have taken on the onerous task of guarding shoes while the devotees queue up for darshan, a palmist sits with his parrot that reads cards for clients, another vendor sells semi precious stones meant to bring good fortune. The Team India store is stocked with stationary items and more sports supplies like badminton rackets and shuttle cocks... A steady stream of people pour into the temple compounds... the aged and the devout, families with kids, even young couples... Govind starts getting students and hangs a small blackboard on the wall.Ish sighs and says parents will only train kids in studies...no one will come for cricket training. Govind encourages him to have patience. The guys sit on the rooftop and observe the aarti happening inside the temple... Ish continues to tip the ‘customers’ on their game...the two boys who were their first customer enroll for cricket coaching much to Ish’s pleasure. Cricket coaching, maths tuition are carried out with corresponding additions to the cash box. Ish fans Govind face with a wad of currency notes as Govind continues counting the cash collection into neat piles... Omi sets up a small altar with Ganesh and Laxmi icons on it but Govind strictly bars it saying he has enough of those back at home, thanks to his mother...no more blind faith please at his work place... god doesn’t listen to prayers, He responds to hard work. Omi gives in saying ok, you intellectual. The three guys seated on Ish’s bike and driving through the posher areas of the city...Ish guides them as the other two turn left and right to check out the passign girls. They stop in front of an automobile showroom and peep in through the glass, checking out the brand new shining cars. Each one takes a pick of which one they’d like to have.
15. INT. CRICKET STORE - DAY In the shop govind is counting money. Mama walks in to collect his rent. Ishaan is watching a match re run on the tv above with the legs above on the counter looking over relaxed. He walks in sees ishaan and looks at omi and hugs him MAMA Kahaan hai mera beta omi OMI Arre mamaji kahaan hain aap.. Jab se dukaan khuli hai aap aaye hi nahin MAMA Poore gujarat ka tour kiya hai parekhji ke saath.. Kya experience raha... yeh lo. Laddoo kaho.. Akshardham ke hain.. Next door canteen boy brings in 3 frootis and mama is offered one. As he picks it up he notices Omi and everyone is wearing shoes. He is taken aback MAMA (CONT’D) Yeh kya hai omi. Joote pehan rakhe hain tumne.. All 3 react wondering whats wrong. MAMA (CONT’D) Mandir hai.. Tum pujari ke beet ho aur joote pehne hain OMI Mama.. Dukaan to mandir ke bahar hai.. Aur baaki dukandaar bhi to pehante hain Ishaan is merely a silent observer. amusing He finds it quite
MAMA Baaki dukaankar baniye hain.. Tumbhi unhi ke tarah ban jaoge.. Subah uthke pooja karte ho OMI (lying sheepishly) Haan .. bilkul Ishaan looks straight into Omis eyes
16. Now mama turns to Ishaan and govind MAMA Aur tum dono.. Hindu ho.. Tine pavitra jagay pe tumhari dukaan hai. Joote utaro.. Ek diya jalao Ishaan still looks on with no change in expression GOVIND Hum yahaan dhanda karne aate hain... reet riwaaz nibhane nahin. (in a lowered voice) Hum kiraya dete hain na MAMA Kya naam hai tumhara? Govind GOVIND
MAMA Govind kya? GOVIND Govind patel MAMA Hindu ho na GOVIND I am agnostic Huh? Ishaan steps in ISHAAN Mamaji.. Yeh sure nahin hai ki bhagwan hai ki nahin Huh.. Looks at omi.. MAMA (CONT’D) Yeh kaise dost hain tere GOVIND Maine yeh nahin kaha.. Main nahin janta ki bhagwan hai ya nahin.. Yeh nastik se alga hai MAMA Bhagwan ko nahi manta? MAMA
17. Mama just looks at them in bewilderment and shock. MAMA Main tum teenon ko nyota dene aaya tha. Govind is up for a challenge , Omi looks at him and gestures to cut it out.. And ishaan steps in to cut the tension ISHAAN Mamaji frooti piyo na Mama looks at Ishaan and picks on him now Aur tu? MAMA
Ishaan with a winning attitude ISHAAN Hindu hoon mama.. hoon Pooja bhi karat
GOVIND (in a hushed tone) Match main 6 ball bachi hoti hain na tab Omi tries to change the topic Mamaji.. the aap OMI Kaunsa niyota dene aaye
And then Mamaji pulls out a 9mm pistol casually from under his starched kurta and keeps it on the counter. The 3 guys look on stupefied... Omi’s jaws drop open, Govind’s forehead creases into a frown while Ishaan’s eyes shine in excitement. MAMA Parekhji ne diya hai..for my safety. Kehte hain mujh mein party ka future dikhta hai mujhmein .. Bahut kadi mehnat ki is baari.. Gujarat ke kone kone mein gaye, campaigning ki.. Jaan lagadi maine By this time Mama has been stroking the gun lovingly and looking at the expression of the boys offers it to them. Omi shudders and refuses but Ish jumps at it and says can I take a look at it.... He seems like an excited young boy with a new toy while Mama rambles on.
18. MAMA (CONT’D) Hindu party ke bahut senior leader hain.. OMI Woh, CM ko jaante hain na. MAMA Jaante nahin.. Din mein do do baar baat hoti hai Ish mimics pointing the gun at Govind and Omi. MAMA (CONT’D) Aur pata hai omi.. Maine parekhji ko tere baare mein bola. Ke nayee peedi ko hindu raah dikhane wala terese achcha nahin mil sakta Omi looks almost scared as he looks irritatedly at Ish and moves his gun pointing hand away. OMI Mama main.? Main to .. MAMA Main yeh nahin keh raha ke sab chod de.. Pujari ka kaam sirf rate hue mantra padhna nahi hai.. Hamein aane wail peedhi ko hindutva samjhana hai.. Parekhji ke ghar maha bhog hai Looks at Ishaan MAMA (CONT’D) Ish tum bhi aana (ignores govind) ISHAAN Pata nahin mamaji (hesitantly) MAMA Arre wahaan kafi young ladke aate hain Ishaan yawns situation and takes a stretch trying to loosen the
ISHAAN Mama.. Mujhe na politics wolitics pasand nahi hai
19. MAMA Yeh politics nahin bete... a way of life Mama concludes the chat Ana zaroor MAMA (CONT’D)
Just then 2 kids come into the store looking sorry for themselves ISHAAN Kya hua jayesh tu phir agaya.. Hafte mein teesri baar aaya hai JAYESH Kya karen.. Jab se woh ali hamare school aaya hai.. Roz nayee ball khareedni padhti hai Ishaan leans forward and takes it a little more seriously ISHAAN Ali?? .. Kaun hai.. nahin? Kabhi dekha
JAYESH School mein naya aaya hai.. woh yahaan thoda na aayega Hmm.. ISHAAN
As soon as he leaves Govind says he doesn’t want to get involved in politics... Omi frowns and says the he is over reacting, after all they have the shop thanks to Bittoo mama. Govind’s jaw hardens and sensing an argument Ish steps in saying they can discuss this later, but first they have to decide more important things... Omi says like what ...Ish says like when are we having the booze party to celebrate our business take off. Before Govind can say anything Ishaan reminds him that he has been procrastinating that for a long time now... its time for Govind to choose...beer party or Bittoo mama’s party ! INT. GOVIND’S HOUSE - NIGHT Omi keeps peeping out of the window slits to check if anyone is coming their way... Govind and Ish enter with the beer bottles hidden under a shopping bag.
20. Omi says he’s tensed about boozing at Govind’s place...what if the neighbours find out ? Govind rolls his eyes and says would he have rather drunk on the streets... His mother is visiting a relative and this is a golden opportunity for them. Ish teases that maybe Omi shouldn’t drink if he has having guilt pangs...he and Govind would gladly help themselves to his share. Omi tackles Ish and says over my dead body... INT. GOVIND’S HOUSE - NIGHT Three of them are in high spirits... Omis mutters a prayer to god almighty to absolve him of the sin of drinking alcohol. Ish laughs and says Omi should thank Govind instead for getting the booze at cheap rates in the dry state. 12 bottles of beer chilling in a bucket of ice. Ishann is still thinking about the boy ALI that those kids mentioned earlier this evening. ISHAAN Chal school chalte hain.. aate hain us ko OMI Musalman..? ISHAAN Apne mama ki tarah batein karna bandh kar.. Suna hai bade chakke lagata hai. GOVIND Lagta hai balrampur ko agla ish mil gaya Ishaan goes silent.. sore nerve As though someone put a finger on his Dekh ke
OMI Agla ish bannna itna aasaan nahin hai.. Yaad hai woh century 63 balls mein.. Koi nahi bhoolta woh inning Ishaan swigs two large gulps from his bottle ISHAAN Joh state selection main do baar zero pe out hua na.. Woh bhi koi nahi bhoolta Ishaan says that and walks away.
21. OMI Chod yaar tu out of form tha yaar Ishaan steers clear of this topic ISHAAN Unhi matches mein form ki zaroorat thi nayaar Govind steps in to change the mood GOVIND Achcha suno. We have a profit of Rs 40000, 20,000 we have saved for the mall shop deposit.. Cheeers Ishaan is a little tipsy and emotional now ISHAAN This business and its profit is all because of one person.. Mr govind patel.. Thank you buddy.. Because of you this drop out military cadet has a future and also this fool who would have remained jingling bells for the rest of his life Ishaan gets up and hugs him tight ISHAAN (CONT’D) Will you do me one more favour buddy. Govind looks at him. ISHAAN (CONT’D) I want you to give someone math tuitions Govind tries to move away GOVIND No way yaar.. My batch is already full. I cant handle more than this ISHAAN Please yaar.. Vidhya is lagging behind in her class and she has to prepare for her medical entrance exams.
22. GOVIND Vidhya? Woh medical exam de rahi hai.. Lekin main to chote bachcho ko padhata hoon yaar ISHAAN Arre tu to padha lega yaar.. Tune to century mari thi... she needs any help she can get Govind pauses to think ISHAAN (CONT’D) What are you thinking.. Dont worry we will pay you. No no.. ? GOVIND Will she come to the store
ISHAAN No chance.. Dad will never send her.. GOVIND Ok.. I’ll come to your house .. we'll start monday OMI Arre yaar.. Monday Mamaji ke yahaan jana hai ISHAAN Omi tere liye kya kya karna padhta hai Ish.. GOVIND From tuesday then..
ISHAAN Love you man EXT. NANA PARK - DAY ‘I don’t want to play now’ rang out Ali’s voice,a thin frail looking 12 year old who now sat petulantly on the ground, fiddling with a few marbles in his hand. Ish seats himself down beside Ali and introduces himself as an ex student and a cricket coach. Ish starts playing marbles with Ali, much to Ali’s surprise.
23. Omi asks the other kids in the park where is Ali from and Tapan, the boy who first mentioned Ali to the guys, answers that he was in Shahpur madrasa before and has just joined them in class VII C. Since then he’s been hitting all the balls over the ‘border’ in sixes. Omi asks Ali where does he stay...Ali points across the wall and says the name of the society he lives in. Omi jokes whether this is Ali’s plan to send free balls across to his neighbourhood... Ali shakes his head vehemently and says in a small voice he gets a headache when he plays cricket. Ish says its ok and says they’ll be on their way then. Ish and Omi now get up to leave. Ali calls out and says he can play an over if Ish bowls. Ish’s face breaks into a smile as he catches the ball from one of the kids. EXT. NANA PARK - DAY Omi becomes the wicket keeper, Govind the umpire and some of the other boys take fielding positions while Ali takes to the crease and shuffles on his feet, in an awkward stance. Ish does a fake run up and bowls a simple lollypop delivery. Ali hits the ball high...a six. Ish nods with a smile on his face at the rightful answer to his amateurish delivery. Ish takes a longer run up on the 2nd delivery pitching a more serious delivery to Ali, with same resultant action from Ali ! Ish now goes way back for his run up and grunts as he delivers a bouncer rising to Ali’s shoulder ... Ali steps back, leaning on his backfoot as if dancing and connects bat to ball...a 3rd six. Omi looks on at wide eyed amazement, Ish’s eyes are squinted from hurt pride and harsh sun, Govind laughs out drawing a deadly glare from Ish. Ish mutters that he’ll show this milk toothed boy with the next ball... just then Ali crouches on the crease. Omi rushes to him and Ali says he gets these shooting pains in his head when he plays cricket... he looks at Ish who has now joined them, if he can go home now. Ish seems reluctant to let go of the game at this juncture but then smiles and does a high five with the kid, saying ok champ, I’ll catch you next time. EXT. EMPTY LOT - DAY
Ish says he still cant believe it, rubbing the sweat from his forehead as he stops his push ups and approaches Govind who holds a tea cup for him. Omi continues doing push ups along with chants of Hanuman chalisa... Govind nods his head and opens his ledger book... Ish continues talking out loud to himself, it cant be just luck...I didn’t bowl my best, but the last delivery was a serious one.
24. Govind looks up from his calculation and says that by the year end they should have enough to do a booking at the Navrangpura... he looks around at the backside of the temple compound with the lines of stores, some of them covered by blue plastic sheets and tarpaulin... Govind says then its going to be tata goodbye to Mamaji’s shop and hello to the new city. Omi joins them and gobbles up the biscuits as he comments that the Ali is quite a freak huh... Ish says he would like to train Ali. Govind and Omi speak out together with their concerns... Govind says as long as he pays and Omi says what that mullah kid ? Bitoo mama would kill me if he knew a muslim kid is coming to the temple. Ish gives an irritated look at Omi and says this is not the temple, this is the back yard and mama does not need to know. But that Ali is worth looking into... he has potential. Ish says he would like to take Ali to a doctor about the headache... his eyesight doesn’t look bad, then why the headache. Govind cautions Ish that they would need to check with the parents both about doctor and cricket coaching... Ish says we’ll go talk to his parents. Omi says half nervously ‘You’ll go to the Muslim locality. Ish shrugs, why not ? Anyway, don’t go if you dont want to, I will. Seeing that Ish is now pissed off with him Omi tries to pacify him and says but hey, tomorrow we are going to Mama’s place for that gathering. Ish pays back in the same coin by saying he doesn’t have time. Govind also says he wouldn’t know what to do there... Omi’s face falls and he complains that he is supposed to tow their line in everything and they cant do this much for him... if that Ali is going to come to practise here, you guys might as well ensure that mama is well disposed towards us, or he’ll throw us out of the shop. Govind reluctantly agrees that they still need the shop and says he cant wait to have the new shop at Navrangpura and get out of this place... one of Govind’s students call out his name... Govind shouts to the boy he’ll be right with him and gathers his papers... Ish reminds him that he’s expected at his place this evening for Vidya’s tuitions. Govind just nods and sighs as he walks out... not entirely happy at how his two friends seems to have cornered him into places where he doesn’t want to be.
25. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Vidya’s room reeks of sugar candy mush... an overdose of pink in the decor, kiddy posters with pictures of teddy bears and flowers... Vidya rants about how she hates maths... algebra,trigonometry,calculus, you name it she hates it. Govind tries saying that maths can be fun... She pulls up her sleeves and holds up her arm to show Govind the goosebumps she gets at the thought of maths! She says just because Govind scored a 100 in the board exams, doesn’t mean that maths has replaced the national passions of cricket and hindi films in the country. Govind has to smile in spite of himself at this. He clears his voice and says so what is your passion...Medicine ? She says medicine is her ticket out of Ahmedabad... her passion is her freedom, which she will never get being stuck in this town. Govind looks taken aback at her outburst... what’s wrong with Ahmedabad he asks. She shrugs and says apparently nothing...but for her it would mean from father’s protective wing to some unknown husband’s home rule...and she wants to live life on her terms, so that means she has to crack a prestigious course that will allow her to buy her freedom. Govind has a look of dismay at Vidya’s well thought out plan. He says if she applied this cool headed logic to maths she would find it easy. Vidya makes a face. Govind starts with probability problems and tries explaining it to her through examples based on the number of greeting cards adorning her book shelf. Just as he makes some headway with explaining the basics of probability to her, Vidya’s cell phone beeps and she pounces on it, checking her message and giggling. She looks up to Govind and says my school friend, she’s sends these jokes...Vidya starts reading out the message but Govind cuts her short asking her to concentrate on the maths exercise. Vidya’s face falls but then she again springs up saying would Govind like some tea. Govind shakes head in negative. She continues, you don’t like tea, neither do I, but I enjoy coffee... Govind says can they stop discussing what she enjoys and get working on the problem at hand. Vidya looks crestfallen as she reluctantly takes the notebook in front of her.
26. INT.BITTOO MAMA’S HOUSE - NIGHT Two people with saffron sashes around their neck greet people pouring into the lavish, if somewhat gawdy looking bungalow. The gathering is being held in the gardens where an elaborate buffet of strictly vegetarian food has been laid out. Ish mutters these Gujjus and their veggie delights... Omi seems quite excited at the large turn out of people and even more by food buffet. Govind asks who are all the people gathered here. Omi speaks with his mouth full, pointing to the saffron clad priests and says these are the holy men who support Mama’s party and the ones in dressed in white are the people from the party. Ish quips and where do we fit in here ? Bittoo mama approaches them with a beaming smile with a small posse behind him and says he’s happy to see them here... so saying he wraps a saffron sash around Omi and introduces him to the people around him saying Parekh ji has always said the life of a Party is its young blood... and Bitto feels charity should always begin at home... Bitto points to Omi and his friends and says they are the future... Iss bar rally mein kaam karega. INT. BITTOO MAMA’S HOUSE - NIGHT Bittoo mama addresses the gathered crowd which is now uniformly divided along colour lines... saffrons , many of them with Trishul’s , rudraksh beads and scriptures in hands seated on one side and the political aficionados on the other. Govind shuffles uncomfortably in the cross legged position with Ish and Omi beside him. Govind tugs at the sash around his neck while Bittoo Mama continues about how the Hindus have suffered under foreign rule for so many years, first the Muslims then the Christian and even though India is independent but Hindus continue to be oppressed by muslim terrorists. People nod in agreement... Bittoo mama continues about how unfair it is that the Hindus can’t build one temple against the thousands that Muslims have ravaged over the centuries...time has come for Hindus to assert themselves and he’s happy to have youngsters in the gathering today who will raise their voice against injustice. Omi gives a beatific grin at this just as Ishaan stifles an yawn and leans towards Govind saying, can we go home please? EXT. MUSLIM NEIGHBOURHOOD - DAY The three friends follow Ali through the lanes of a particularly squalid part of the city...
27. Omi complains how much further is the place, the stench in the air. Ish just gives a look at Omi... EXT. GULSHAN HOUSING SOCIETY - DAY They arrive in an name plates... he father’s name and similar... Naseer old housing society and spots the party sticker exclaims that’s why the Hashmi, he’s the member Omi looks at the against Ali’s name sounded of the rival party.
Ali slips in between their legs to the stairwell besides the letter boxes where a goat stands tied to a pipe. Ali’s face breaks into a smile as he pets the goat, calling it Shabnam while the goat bleats softly in response. Ali feeds it a clump of grass that lies by the side. Ali says proudly Abbu got her for me. INT. ALI’S HOUSE - DAY A 60 year old bearded man with a skullcap on his head greets the boys inside. Ishaan introduces themselves as Ali’s friends and Ali clarifies that these are the people from the cricket store. Naseer nods his head in recognition as Ali’s mother serves cold drinks to the boys. Naseer says he doesn’t think Ali can get cricket coaching... he’s a sickly boy and has trouble keeping up with his studies... Naseer himself travels on work and cant give the boy much time. In the midst of this cricket training looks difficult and honestly pointless... cricket after school is ok, but he would rather spend on Ali’s maths tution. Ish jumps at this and offers Govind’s services as maths tutor to Ali’s father, much to Govind’s consternation. Govind nudges Ishaan and tries saying he’s already quite booked. Ish ignores that and continues to say if Uncle would agree to a combined class of maths and cricket...for free. Govind can barely hide his irritation at this... Ali’s father gets up to address a phone call and Govind pounces on Ishaan, for free? How can you commit for me ? Ish gives a look of disdain at Govind just as Ali’s father re enters the room. He looks thoughtful and then asks why / Why do you want to give coaching to Ali.... Ish says in his most serious tone that he believes that Ali has real talent in cricket... Nasser frowns a little bit and says but cricket for a boy from a middle class household.... Ish says Uncle just give me some time with him and we’ll see how it goes, in the meantime Govind will also be helping him out with Maths...Govind keeps quiet at this.
28. Ali’s mother enters the room and offers them to eat with them. Omi immediately says they’re in a rush and will have to leave soon. But Ali’s mother insists... INT. ALI’S HOUSE - DAY They are served simple vegetarian food...Ali’s mother apologizes that they don’t have meat today. Omi says stiffly he’s a brahmin, a priest’s son, he doesn’t touch meat. Govind explains that Omi is Pandit Shastri’s son from the Swami temple. Recognition dawns on Naseer’s face and he says he has heard good things about Panditji and that he keeps politics away from religion. Naseer’s face breaks into a thoughtful smile as he shakes his head and says a Pandit’s son teaching my Ali... this is exactly the example we want to set in our party. Omi shifts uncomfortably, wanting to say something but not quite sure what. Naseer adds, Bitto is also connected to the temple isn’t he... what does he feel about it ? Omi immediately stiffens at the mention of Bittoo... Ishaan cuts in to say that Bittoo mama is the one who helped us to get the shop... He’s happy that we are working hard. Naseer nods in agreement and says of course, if young men like you won’t take up responsibility then who will... after all you’re the future. (thus repeating what Bitto mama had said in the prior scene) Naseer adds, you guys should come to our meetings sometime. Omi can’t contain himself anymore and blurts out,how can you say that... I’m Bittoo mama’s nephew, I will never go to his rival party. Nasser’s eyebrows raise and he shrugs and says with a stiff smile... that’s your choice of course, that’s what democracy is for... Turning towards Ishaan, Naseer now speaks in a somewhat false tone of self pity... Yeh bechare musalman bacche ke baarey mein kaun sochta hai... It’ll be a good thing if boys like you take him under your tutelage. I am an ageing man, cannot do enough for the poor kid... but I will try and pay something for the maths tution. Govind mumbles a thank you just as Ish says don’t worry about that. We’ll see... EXT. MUSLIM NEIGHBOURHOOD - DAY Ish seems happy to have accomplished his mission of getting permission to coach Ali... but his two friends dont share his enthusiasm.
29. Govind says but I don’t see how that’s beneficiary to any of us and forget cricket how can you make a commitment from my side without consulting me ? Omi butts in and what if Bittoo mama finds out...I dont like that Naseer character. Govind continues Sometimes you really go over board Ish...and now who’s going to pay the doctor’s fees... Ish gives a disgusted look at Govind and says you deduct it from my share ok...take your money and be happy. Let me do what makes me happy... why don’t you guys understand this is important to me...I dont care either about his father or your mama... I just don’t want to see another talent wasted. Govind notes Ish’s emotional outburst and says then buy peace with tea at Gopi’s...Omi says he would like to have something to eat too. Ish laughs out and says of course you do, you didn’t touch any food back there... how far can religious pride go on empty stomach...lets satiate your Hindu belly first ! DR.VERMA’S CLINIC - DAY Dr. Verma has all sorts of test results strewn on his desk and Ish, Govind and Omi wait for his verdict... Ali can be seen playing with marbles in the garden outside. Dr Verma checks something on his computer and turns to look at the results again... he nods his head and says this li’l headache gave us quite a bit of work. I consulted with Dr. Multani who is now in Delhi but was very kind to go through Ali’s test results... it is true, Ali’s brain is wired in such a way that might make him a specially gifted player. The doctor explains that Ali has hyper reflex which means that the boy has ten times stronger reflex than an average human being. Ish looks a little disappointed but Dr. Verma goes on to explain that not only that but he is able to make accurate analytical decisions in the split second time that the normal brain uses for a reflex action. So he’s able to respond to a very fast ball with the accuracy of a soft throw. He adds that but his brain also tires fast because of this super fast mode of analysing... that’s why the headache. Ish asks can he be trained to use it in such a way that he lasts longer on the crease... Dr. Verma says its certainly worth trying... if Ali shows promise in other aspects of the game, he might well turn out to be one of the gifted batsman that the country has seen. Ish’s eyes sparkle with hope.
30. EXT. EMPTY LOT BEHIND SHOP - DAY Ali pants as he stops mid track and says he cant run anymore. Omi says what, tired after 5 rounds...Ish asked you to do 20. Ali is still catching up on his breath when Govind throws a few marbles at him, in different directions... Ali almost instinctively reaches put and catches them all. That silences his instructors for a while. Ish breaks the stupefied silence and asks the boys to break up into bowling and batting sides. Ali is on the batting side but he doesn’t have strike and refuses to take the singles and the twos. Ali gets a chance to bat and hits the ball across the yard. Ish reprimands him for always going for big shots, he needs to learn to hold his wicket and other aspects of the game. Ali cries out he doesn’t know other things...this is what he can do. Ish says in a softer tone, that’s why he’s here to help him and gives the ball to Ali to bowl. INT. CRICKET STORE- MEZANINE ROOM - DAY Govind finishes a lesson with two students as Ali enters all sweaty from the game and settles down on the mat with his books. Omi enters the room with a towel and a glass of milk... he keeps it in front of Ali saying hero needs to build his stamina.. Govind and Ish smile at Omi finally relenting to Ali’s cause. INT. CRICKET STORE - DAY Ish stretches out on the mat and ruminates that its their generation that has to do something pro change in the country. Govind quips wisdom on a full stomach I see... Ish shuts him up and elaborates his theory about how their generation , the zeroes, need to be pro active and give up the old ways of the ageing fogies of 70s and 80s decade. Omi frets and says you can think of changing the world later, but what to do about Bittoo Mama’s rally... I don’t want to go alone...you guys will come along won’t you ? Ish groans please can there be anything more boring than political rallies... Omi almost pleads with Ish and Govind now, chal na please... didn’t I go to Ali’s place with you. Ish sighs and rolls his eyes, but Govind looks at it from a profit and loss situation and says, maybe we should do something for the rally... can’t have Mama pissed off with us till we move into the new shop.
31. Govind makes up his mind and tells Omi that they’ll all go...its just a matter of a day. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Govind notices that Vidya’s eyes look puffed up, but he pretends not to notice and focuses on her home work. Govind looks up from the note book to say that she’s done quite well but now cant avoid her sniffles. He asks what’s wrong. She says nothing. Govind goes back to discuss the problem she couldn’t solve when a big tear drop rolls on to the notebook, blotching the numbers Govind had started writing. Govind looks very startled and then says Listen we cant carry on our class if you are upset. Vidya wipes her face and says its that stupid Garima. Govind finds out the reason of her distress is some misunderstanding about whose turn it is to sms... Govind presses his forehead with his thumb and finger while Vidya talks herself out of her own problem. Govind says, alright, if the sms problem is done can we move to problem 8... Vidya says yes, thank you for listening and appears to focus on the maths problem. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Vidya fidgets with her pen, her hair clip, her chair and then finally declares can we take a 5 min break... cant cram in too much together. Not waiting for Govind’s reply she continues that she hates the way education amounts to cramming information without any real understanding of the foundation of it... she goes on to give an example from biology and Govind sees a new side to the girl, who can be quite animated in things that she relates to... Govind says he can get her some good reference books from Law Garden book market. Vidya immediately jumps at the idea and asks if she can join... Govind clarifies he’ll get the bills for the books so that she can show her parents how much they cost. Vidya makes a face and says that’s the silliest thing she’s heard...she’d like to go because that would be fun. Govind changes the topic saying come lets do the next problem.
32. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Govind is about to leave and Vidya climbs down the stairs with him... she says in a low voice , thursday then and scoots towards the kitchen. Govind almost bumps into Ishaan as he moves towards the door. Ish asks how’s it going with my duffer of a sis... Govind sounds quite serious when he says not bad, she’s a quick learner. Ish says he’s also found a way to tame Ali...I’m trying to spread out his sixes across more overs and getting him to take more singles and twos. I have to spend more time with him, though the other kids get jealous of that... Govind almost jumps as Ish adds with a grin some students are special, right. Govind agrees and leaves quickly. EXT. LAW GARDEN BOOK MARKET - DAY Govind keeps looking around as if checking if anyone’s following them..Vidya stops on the footpath and says relax, our uncle auntyjis do not frequent book markets...and besides there’s nothing wrong in coming to buy boring textbooks...you cant get more right than this. Govind covers his embarrassment and says of course, why would I worry... I’m just trying to spot the right store... INT. BOOK STORE - DAY The middle aged book keeper immediately spots Vidya, easily the prettiest presence in a book store filled with nerds and measures her up. Govind speaks out a little loudly and names the book he wants. The book keeper shouts instructions to his assistants and turns to look at Govind with a raised eyebrow... Govind looks slightly irritated and says curtly ‘student...’ Govind and Vidya look through a couple of more books, Vidya exclaiming at the sight of the thick fat books that could easily replace weights in the gym... Govind measures a book and says smilingly, dont worry, nobody manages to cover everything...you need to read specific sections. Vidya places her hand to try and lift the book and their hands touch. Govind pulls his hand out and calls the shopkeeper for the bill.
33. EXT. BOOK STORE - DAY Govind takes the heavier bag from Vidya’s hands and walks out saying ok, that’s done, you’ll be home in home in forty minutes. Vidya makes a face and says you’re such a bore. Govind raises his eyebrows and says what ? Vidya says she wants to go to dairy den and have something. So saying she walks on while Govind quickly checks how much money he has left on him. INT. DAIRY DEN - DAY Vidya digs into the pizza and then lowers her head to take a sip of the milk shake....Govind finds himself looking at her mouth and turns his gaze away. He sees the guys in an adjacent table giving the looks towards Vidya.. She follows his gaze but ignores the guy and turns her attention towards Govind. She proposes they be friends and Govind cites his list of reasons for not thinking its a good idea- Vidya laughs at how Govind gives a bullet point list about her being his student, his best friend’s sister, younger to him and a girl to boot ! She laughs and touches his hands... Govind moves to take a slice of pizza... Vidya says he should have a back up friend and then goes on to explain the concept of why a back up friend is necessary beyond your best friend. She asks him where would he bitch about his best friends Ish and Omi... Govind blushes a little at her swearing. EXT. CITY STREETS/ NAVRANGPURA MALL - DAY Vidya and Govind are walking through one of the posher areas of the city.. different from the old city neighbourhoods they live in... big cars zoom down the street, Mac Donalds,CCDs and branded stores strewn along the way. Govind stops in front of the new mall under construction, its glass and chrome facade glistening in the sun. Vidya looks at him questioningly and Govind says this is where my next shop will be, not without a hint of pride in his voice. Her eyes widen as she exclaims are you serious ? Govind hushes her down by saying don’t talk about it to others now... but yes, next month I’ll do the booking and possession by February. Vidya looks impressed and says good that he didn’t go for the engineering course. They start walking again and Govind says he’s not the engineer type... besides he doesn’t want to leave Ahmedabad... he wants to move into the new city with his mother.
34. Vidya is observing Govind closely as he displays some real emotions for the first time. Govind notices her gaze and changes the topic back to her studies as he calls out to an auto rickshaw. EXT. SUPPLIER PANDITJI’S HOUSE - DAY Ish Govind and Omi wait as their supplier’s daughter comes out with a set of keys and opens the warehouse saying her father will be with them soon. She leaves with a smile at Govind. As soon as she leaves Ish nudges Govind and says she’s really pretty huh? Govind makes an incredulous face and says under his breath not here Ish, its business. Ish jokes that he knows Munimji is acting like he has no eye for beauty, but Ishaan knows him better. Govind feels awkward and turns away to greet Panditji. INT. SUPPLIER PANDITJI’S HOUSE - DAY Govind discusses new supplies and a bargain ensues... Panditji starts telling about his family’s misfortune...how his brother’s family has recently moved from Kashmir and taken refuge here. Omi expresses curiosity as to what has been happening to Pandits in Kashmir, he suggests that Panditji pay a visit to Bittoo Mama’s rally... Ishaan in the meantime is busy eyeing Panditji’s daughter who has chosen this opportune moment to water the house plants in the verandah. Govind sees that his 2 business partners are off on their tangents...Omi talking about Mama’s party helping Hindus and Ish engrossed with the girl. Govind quickly asks Omi to get the bats that need repairing and tells Ish to check out the new batch of supplies, trying to get the guys to focus back on business at hand. EXT. EMPTY LOT BEHIND SHOP - DAY Ali saunters in late for cricket practise while the other boys are already doing their warm up rounds. Ish points to his watch and asks Ali to do the rounds. EXT. EMPTY LOT BEHIND SHOP - DAY Ish unwraps a brand new bat and gives it to Ali, but Ali isn’t excited. Instead he says he needs to go early ... there’s a marble competition in his pol. Ish snaps at him and asks him to finish his cricket practise first. Ish reminds Ali that he shouldn’t hit big strokes...
35. Ish asks Ali to change to a fielding position and Ali shows his protest by flinging the new bat carelessly on the ground. Ish frowns and says careful... Ali performs shoddily in fielding and lets an easy catch drop. Ish has just had enough of Ali’s carelessness.. He holds Ali by the shoulders and shouts at him where is his mind... Ali turns his face away and says I want to go back early. Ish says forget the marble tournament...no one ever became famous by playing marbles. Ali replies back insolently that neither did Ish. Ish stands frozen and then slaps Ali hard, making him lose his balance. Hearing the commotion Govind steps out and tries comforting Ali. Tears flow down Ali’s face and he cries out, I hate cricket... I dont want to play here again. So saying Ali runs out of the yard. INT. CRICKET STORE- DAY Ish slumps down on the floor and says its so unfair that someone with Ali’s talent should have no interest in the game while Ish spent his entire youth trying to make it in cricket but was never really good enough. Govind serves tea to his friend and tries to explain that Ali doesn’t understand his special talent...marbles is more fun for him right now. Ish sighs and rues about the unfair distribution of talent in the world... Omi enters the shop asking with enthusiasm how did the practice go today. Ish grumbles ‘dont ask’. Omi looks curious but Govind tries to lighten the mood by saying guru is not happy with his chela today. A 10 year old boy comes in with lots of small change and requests for a ball... Govind says he’s 5 bucks short. The kid looks disappointed and says he doesn’t have any more. Govind shrugs and says then come back later. But Ishaan just grabs the ball and throws it at the kid.. Take it and run kiddo.. Govind pissed off at ishaan GOVIND Thats fucked up Ishaan without looking at govind ISHAAN Fuck you businessman
36. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Govind looks exasperated and says excuses wont make you pass the exam you know. Vidya looks unkempt in an old pair of pajamas and a kiddy print t shirt. She scratches her head and says I’m trying. Govind finishes her sentence by saying not hard enough. Vidya wears a petulant expression and asks Govind not to always reprimand her. She hands him a bottle of hair oil and asks him to help her. Govind looks dumfound and reads the label out... Keshkala Amala hair oil. Govind says your hair is black enough. Vidya giggles and says no silly...just to keep my head cool. So saying she turns her back towards him and parts her hair indicating where to apply the oil. Govind looks kind of flabbergasted and then tentatively reaches out for her hair, massaging the oil in. She lets out a sigh of content and Govind immediately looks towards the door to see if anybody’s coming... The radio plays from the neighbouring house... the deejay giving a sugary intro to a love song as he reaches for her hair again. Govind keeps the bottle on the table and asks his student to get back to work. EXT. ALI’S HOUSE - NIGHT Ishaan arrives at Ali’s building to see him playing with Shabnam.. In fact Ali is sniffling and seeking solace from Shabnam... he carries a monologue with Shabnam saying nobody loves him...he promises to run away with Shabnam. Ish can’t help but smile as he stands behind the kid and overhears this grand plan. Ish walks up silently to Ali and takes off the red ribbon off the chocolate box, tying it around Shabnam and starting off a dialogue with the mute animal. Ish says But what will Ali do if Shabnam runs away and leaves Ali alone some day...just like Ali does with me... Ali looks up through his sniffles at Ish’s face now smiling at him as Ish places a new cap on his head. Ali almost throws himself into Ish’s arms and says Ali will never let Shabnam run away... Ish now tickles him and says yes, just like I wont let go of you...Ali starts giggling and asks god promise? Ish laughs and says god promise as he does a mock tackle on Ali and tumbles in the ground with him. Song continues in the background...
37. EXT.PARTY OFFICE - NIGHT Omi seated with several other youngsters watching a propaganda CD at the party office that mocks and criticises the Muslim community and their lifestyle...talking about how they slaughter cows, women are ill treated, Hindu girls are forced to marry Muslims etc etc. Alternatively, Omi and a bunch of other youngsters are being trained in wrestling and some kind of local martial fight with long sticks. The coach is also instilling a sense of pride in the ancient yoga/combat traditions of Hindus. INT. NAVRANGPURA MALL - DAY Song continues...Another Patel Book Stores bag weighed down heavily with reference books swings between Govind and Vidya as they walk through the corridors of the mall... some of the stores already have their signages on the store front... Vidya and Govind climb up on the top floor and lean down on the shining steel railings to look down at the mosaic pattern on the floor below... Govind opens the shutters of one shop and shows Vidya around...the work on the interiors has not been done as yet...its just a bare space...but Govind’s eyes light up as if he’s seeing the Taj Mahal. He turns to Vidya and says, I’ll have to take a small loan from Bittoo Mama, but wait till I’m done with the interiors... he starts describing his plan for the interiors of the shop. Song overlaps... INT. MACDONALDS - DAY Ishaan is only half listening to the non stop blabber of the girl opposite him. His cell phone rings and he disconnects its telling the girl that his business partners are expecting him, he has to go. The girl’s face falls but she gets up to leave. EXT. CITY STREETS - DAY Ishaan parks his bike beside another girl waiting for him. He apologises for being late saying his business partners held him up ! The girl gets up on the bike behind Ish.
38. INT. PARTY OFFICE - DAY Mama briefs Omi about the campaigning of the coming rally. He says the city should be covered with their posters so that everybody knows about the grand event...and to make sure that the rival party’s posters don’t get any space. EXT. CITY STREETS - NIGHT Omi oversees a few others as the guys start applying glue with a flat brush on the bunch of posters under a street halogen. Omi points to the wall and says that the other party has again covered their posters... but they can beat them in this game. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Govind is explaining an equation to Vidya, he looks up from the notebook to see her chewing away furiously at one end of the pen... the ink has leaked a bit smudging the corners of her lips. She shakes her head in frustration and says its so much easier for boys to achieve their dreams. Govind says why, what’s stopping you ... Vidya picks up the chemistry book from her desk and this isn’t what I want to do... Govind turns his best tutor face forward and says education is important... Vidya cuts him short and says for what ? One should pursue one’s passion, right.. You left engineering to do what you wanted to do, Ish bhaiya left NDA... then why are you forcing me to give up my dreams... I don’t want to study your boring maths, I want to study PR. Govind has had enough of her whining and says in a burst of emotion, then do that...you’re able bodied and of sound mind (though I doubt it sometimes) and have been lucky enough to get more education than most other girls in the country. So use that to realize your dreams...don’t just sit here and complain. Nobody gave things to me in a platter...I worked my fucking ass off to get wherever I am. Govind controls himself and says sorry for the swear word. Vidya smiles and says I wasn’t born yesterday you know. But see your father didn’t get in your way. Govind gives a dry laugh and says no, considering that my father left home 11 years ago, I cant say he got into my way. Vidya says sorry... Govind shrugs and says nothing to be sorry about, fact of life. And he and his mother have managed quite fine.
39. Govind says in a soft voice, its never easy...but if its really a choice between parents choice and yours, you should finally stick out with yours...civilisation wouldn’t have progressed if everybody played by the rules. So you dont always have to follow your parents wishes... you can reason it out with them. Vidya retorts of course not,lying is much easier..I’ve been doing that since I was five years old ! Govind gives her an incredulous look. Song resumes on background track... I/E. DREAM SEQUENCE - DAY/NIGHT A cricket match is being played where Ali hits a six, Vidya is watching the game with Govind and she jumps up from her seat in glee... suddenly Govind sees the book store shopkeeper amongst the crowd, pointing fingers at him and speaking to Ishaan’s father... Govind is 10 years old and his mother is weeping trying to hold back a man from leaving....the door swings as the man exits... Omi’s father is doing an aarti in the temple... Bittoo Mama is tying orange sashes around everyone... A crowd of people clad in saffron and bearing trishuls seem to be chanting something and going around in circles. Govind is in his brand new sports store which has been done up snazzily and has all the latest sports equipment including a space for net practising with an automatic ball dispenser... the song starts to warble, like an old LP disc running at the wrong speed just as the dream image of the store starts trembling and shaking, accompanied with loud noises of things falling... INT. GOVIND’S HOUSE - DAY Govind wakes up startled to feel the world vibrating... the bed, ceiling fan, wall clock, almirah everything seems to be shaking. Govind springs up to see what’s going on when his mother rushes in asking him to get out of the house, its an earthquake. EXT. GOVIND’S HOUSE - DAY A crowd of people running helter skelter in the neighbourhood as an electricity pole crashes to the ground...tv antennas fall from terraces and broken window panes crash on the road... people huddle together trying to figure out what happened. One of them say that its an earthquake in Bhuj...
40. INT. GOVIND’S HOUSE - DAY Govind holds his mother’s hand as he re-enters their home to see the drawing room in a mess... everything lying scattered on the ground, a mirror broken...table upturned. Govind switches on the tv to see a news channel air the news of the earthquake in Bhuj... the reports say that while most of the old parts of the city of Ahmedabad have remained safe, some of the newer constructions have suffered severe damage. Govind suddenly looks worried and prepares to go out... his mother tries to dissuade him but Govind bolts out of the house. EXT. CITY STREETS - DAY Govind runs through the city that looks like a tornado has hit it... the older buildings are intact but as he approaches the new part of the city, the damages are much worse... Govind comes running to the street where the mall was... he has to stop midway as a huge pile of rubble stands in his way. The world spins around him as Govind catches sight of the huge signage of the Navrangpura mall jutting out from the middle of the rubble pile... Govind slumps down in the middle of the street clutching on to the dust and razed concrete in his fists. His eyes cloud over with tears as he picks up a stone and throws it aimlessly at the broken down structure that was Navrangpura mall. Somebody catches hold of him and restrains him...Govind seems to be in a dazed state, kicking and throwing the rubble around. Ishaan has to physically hold him back and says lets go home Govi. Govind cant take it anymore as he breaks down in front of his friend saying over and over again, we’re finished... we’ve lost everything even before we could start... Ishaan tries consoling him saying maybe they can ask for a refund from the builder.. Govind shakes his dejectedly knowing that won’t work. He keeps repeating where will I get the money to repay the loans Ish... we owe so much to Bittoo mama....Govind tries taking recourse to his one comfort, numbers as he recounts how much they owe to Bitoo mama...but for once, even the numbers don’t console and Govind just breaks down into sobs. Ishaan tries to shush Govind as he leads him away from the wreck. INT. GOVIND’S HOUSE - NIGHT A tv reporter’s voice narrates in the background the extent of damage and demolition caused in Bhuj...
41. how Ahmedabad had suffered relatively less though new areas were more badly hit than the old city. The footage of the earthquake hit areas flicker and float on Govind’s face as he shuts his eyes. Screen fades to black. INTERMISSION INT. GOVIND’S HOUSE - DAY Govind lies on the bed staring vacantly as Dr. Verma pulls out the stethoscope out of his ears and says the fever is gone. Govind’s mother stands by the end of the bed and asks whether he should carry on the medicines. The doctor says no, Govind is quite fine physically. Govind stays silent through this conversation... Dr.Verma asks whether the shop is open... Govind shakes his head in negative. The doctor requests for tea and as soon as Shanti leaves the room the doctor asks Govind to talk....whats eating him up ? Govind gulps down, trying to find his voice and then says I’m in big debt. Dr. Verma retorts that there isn’t a single businessman who hasn’t incurred losses and cites the examples of Navaldhari community of businessmen who are known to make 9 comebacks within their business career. The Doctor advises him to stop wallowing in self pity... Govind protests that this doesn’t make sense...its like an unknown force suddenly blowing so many lives and livelihoods out... one is so helpless. But the doctor points out that not everybody is acting helpless...people are working actively around the city to help the victims. The doctor mentions that Ish and Omi are helping out in the temple grounds where they have set up a relief camp. Govind goes back to staring blankly at the wall as the doctor gets up to leave. EXT. EMPTY LOT - DAY The field behind the temple compound has now been converted into a temporary relief camp where free food and medication is being distributed. Mama speaks into a microphone saying that Gujarat has been struck by disaster, but their party is always there for people... let no true son of the soil go empty handed today from their refuge camp... the Lord god Ram will take anyone who’s a true bhakt under His protection... People are queued up at the food counter where Omi and Ish are helping in serving... Ali approaches them dragging a hapless woman in a burkha and her 2 kids with him... he tugs at Ish’s shirt and says these people need help, her baby has fever... they were saying they cant come here...
42. Ish looks at Omi who pauses for a second and tells Ali that they will need to register themselves at the other counter there and then queue for food and medicines. As Ali turns to lead them towards the registration counter, Omi calls out and says he’ll come with them. EXT. EMPTY LOT - DAY The man seated at the registration counter looks up to greet Omi and then his smile freezes as he sees the Muslim woman with Omi. He looks questioningly at Omi, who states simply that these people also need help. The man, raises an eyebrow and starts muttering that he can’t take responsibility for this... they should take permission from higher up. Omi cuts in and insists that the man enrolls the woman and her kids... he’ll take care of everything. The man says grudgingly well, only because Omi is Bittooji’s nephew and turns towards the woman to ask her name... Ruksana Mohammed she says. Bittoo mama notices them and approaches Omi...he hisses at him What do you think you’re doing? Omi says, But mama...they are also destitute... Mama doesn’t let him finish and says there are so many Hindus suffering cant you see that... Omi now feels embarrassed at being reprimanded in front of so many others, he says please... just this one time. I’ve promised them already... Mama doesn’t say anything more and walks off in a huff. INT. GOVIND’S HOUSE - DAY Govind springs to pull the quilt up on his pajama and vest clad attire as Vidya’s voice rings out from the threshold of his room. He is surprised to see her and asks what brings her here. Vidya shows one of her big fat reference books and says thought I will come here and get some problems clarified. Govind’s mother enters the room with some tea and snacks while Vidya says she shouldn’t have bothered. Govind tries gesturing to his mother to pass him his shirt but she’s too busy chatting with Vidya to notice. Once she leaves Vidya passes him the shirt and pulls a chair near the bed. Govind clears his voice and asks her to show her the problems she’s stuck with... Vidya carefully opens the book to a page and passes the book. A pink envelope falls on Govind’s lap from the book... a cheesy get well card with a handwritten note from her. Govind reads it and thanks her... she broaches the topic of the shop but Govind avoids it, not wanting to betray his hurt and disappointment...
43. she touches his hand and says in an earnest way that its lucky that the mall wasn’t already up and running, it would have cost too many lives. Something stirs in Govind and he almost reaches out to embrace her but holds back... Vidya makes light of the moment by saying that she still needs her maths tutor and ‘sort of friend’ around to help her clear the exams... Govind smiles and says he’ll be there next week. Vidya gets up to leave and says she never thought she’d live to see the day when she’s looking forward to maths lessons ! Govinds mother comes into the room and Govind immediately thrusts the card under a pillow...his mother says Ish’s sister has grown up into a pretty girl...you like her? Govind frowns and says ‘ma please, she’s my student. And a very weak one at that’. INT. GOVIND’S HOUSE - NIGHT Omi and Ish are lounging in Govind’s room talking about opening up the shop... Govind says he’ll also come over, he’s feeling better now. As Govind reaches out for a glass of water, the pillow shifts revealing a pink envelope and Ish almost immediately pounces on it asking what’s that. Govind snatches the card away and says nothing, from my cousin. Cousin eh, Ish teases and adds that must be Panditji’s daughter. Govind rolls his eyes and tries to change the topic... Omi says that Bittoo Mama has agreed to let them continue using the shop... Govind asks what is he expecting in return. Omi shrugs and says nothing much, he wants us to help him in his campaign...Omi raises a hand before Govind can say anything and says he’ll take care of it. Govind says its his fault that they are in so much debt...it was his foolish ambition to move into the new part of the city and have an air conditioned shop, maybe he was asking for too much. Ish says they all took the risk as business partners, they’ll get out of this lurch. INT. CRICKET STORE - DAY Ish frets around the shop saying that first the earthquake and now India’s loss against Australia in the test match...how will business pick up if things continue this way. Omi teases and says yes, such a pity that the 11 players out there don’t know our livelihoods are dependent on them !
44. Govind says there are two more test matches...maybe things will turn for the better. A car draws up in front of the temple compound and Bitto mama steps out, making way to the temple trust office. Omi urges Govind and Ish to come and meet Mama. INT. TEMPLE TRUST OFFICE - DAY Govind looks a lot more respectful towards Mama as he thanks him for allowing them to renew the lease on the shop. Bittoo mama smiles benevolently and says that’s nothing... he believes in standing by his own people...he turns towards Omi and speaks in a cold tone- unlike some fools who don’t know where their allegiance should lie. Bare aye dusron ka seva karne, jab ki apno ka khayal nahi. Omi goes red in his face and hangs his head low... Govind and Ish don’t know what to say. Bittoo continues how Omi has brought shame to his mama’s name by disregarding his instructions... here he was announcing Omi and his friends as official party cadres... now he doesn’t know whether he can depend on Omi for the rally either. He had great hopes on Omi but this fool is out there to spoil any chance of securing a future. Omi is now feeling desperate and says please give me another chance to prove myself Mama...I promise I won’t let you down. Ishaan and Govind also put in their two bit to pacify Mama and bail their friend out... Ish fidgets and says they’re running late for an appointment. Omi says he’ll report at the Party office first thing tomorrow morning. EXT. MUSLIM NEIGHBOURHOOD - NIGHT The entire area has been lit up and looks festive...long green flags with the symbol of the moon and the star sway on the streets. Omi is still in a bad mood and says he would rather not come... Mama will skin him alive if he finds out Omi is attending an Id dawat at Naseer’s place. Ish convinces him not to worry so much...nobody will find out. It looks bad if they dont turn up for the invitation...Ali has been planning this for days. Govind teases that Ali has said his mother is makign vegetarian things just for Omi... now that will go to waste. At the prospect of food, Omi’s face softens and he scratches his head while his face breaks into a smile.
45. INT. ALI’S HOUSE - NIGHT Naseer greets the guys and ushers them inside. But the festive mood is marred inside the household as Ali refuses to come down from the terrace. Nasser says in a light hearted manner, see if you guys can convince him... he refuses to eat today... he got very attached to the animal. Nasser turns to greet other guests as Ali’s mother is bringing in the dishes. Realization dawns on Ishaan... he says Shabnam. Omi is also quite shocked and says that goat under the stairs... he shudders and says how can they yaar... thats so cruel...how can you guys eat this stuff... Ish pulls the two of them saying they should go check on Ali. INT. ALI’S HOUSE TERRACE - NIGHT Ali is seated in one corner behind the water pump. Ish goes and sits down beside him but Ali refuses to talk. Ish says softly he’ll get him another just like Shabnam and nobody will take it away from Ali. Tears spill down Ali’s cheeks as he breaks into sobs... Ish holds him and comforts him. Ali speaks haltingly through his sobs, they’ll kill it too. Ish consoles and says he’s going to make sure nobody touches it... he tries to cheer up Ali by saying that they’ll be travelling soon.. Ish announces that he has decided to take Ali to meet the Indian cricket team during the oncoming India versus Australia series... he looks around towards Govind and Omi for support. Govind makes an incredulous face and says what ?? When did you plan this / Who will sponsor? And do you think the Indian team is waiting to receive you? Ish makes an irritated look at Govind’s reality checks and says we’ll work all that out... we should go to goa for the last one day match. That will give us time to figure out the details. INT. AUS/INDIA TEST. - DAY March 11, 2001 Ind v/s Aus test .. eden gardens Day 1 It's a morbid day at the shop. Business is dull and at a stand still. Australia v/s India test is on. Australia is 193/1, 1st day at tea. Ishaan is watching the match and looks lifeless. Govind tries to wake him out of his depression GOVIND Dont waste your time on this. India is screwed and so are we. Ish without looking at govind and still staring at the tv ISHAAN Are we going to go to goa or not
46. GOVIND I think a more important question is are we going to eat or not. Govind leaves Ishaan and opens his ledger. We establish in the match a new sardar bowler enters the fray. He takes a hatric.. Suddenly ishaan is wired and energized. Govind has shut his ledger and has pulled a chair next to Ishaan who cant believe his eyes. Day 1 ends at 291/ 8 aus Day 2 Aus 445 all out by from tea to end of india. Ishaan who down and miserable tea. India 128/8.. India loses 8 wickets days play. A pathetic performance by was over the top exactly 24 hrs ago is again.
On the dinner table Ishaan cant eat even a morsel ISHAAN These aussies must be laughing their asses off at us. Govind passing the dal GOVIND Draw ke liye pooja karo.. Haar gaye to dhanda bandh. Sports ka business india ke liye theek nahi hai ISHAAN Unke 2 crore aur apni 100 crore ki abaadi hai, jo har saal 2 crore badhti hai. Hum har saal ek australia paida karte hain.. phir bhi yeh hamari baja rahe hain Seeing ishaan so out of it govind finds an opportunity to jibe him GOVIND Ek phoolon ki dukaan khol len Ish doesnt even look at him but surely hears him Day 3 India 171 all out pre lunch. Commentator announces follow on
47. You can hear someone throwing up in a bathroom and Ishaan emerges wiping his mouth GOVIND T.v bandh kar dein? Kyun dekh rahen hain. Izzat lut it dekhna zaroori hai Ishaan says nothing and plonks himself.. pause After a few seconds
ISHAAN I want to see how they can look me in the eye Omi and govind doing accounts on the table..Omi takes it literally OMI Woh tujhe nahi dekh sakte Ishaan doesnt even look Omis way, Govind looks at omi and is semi shocked Hisaab kar INT. MANDIR - NIGHT Ishaan is praying. Omi cant believe what Ishaan is doing and govind finds it amusing. Ish finishes his prayers and govind asks ish GOVIND Whats the situation Ish deep in thought and pensive ISHAAN 254/ 4 india..Run cover ho gaye hain.. Ab bas tike rahen to draw ho sakta hai Ishaan sighs and walks on and Govind and Omi look on INT. CRICKET STORE DAY 4. - DAY Laxman hits a 4 incidently Ishaan raises his hand to yawn. For some reason he links the 2. For the rest of the day Ishaan doesnt lower his hand. Montage of the days performance by india. GOVIND
48. Ind 589/4 end of days play.. Commentator says India didnt even lose 1 single wicket.. Ishaan is overwhelmed. He is hugging his father and gotten too emotional, very affectionate towards vidhya.. Mom gets all the respect.. Hes got an etheral air about him EXT. TEMPLE COMPOUND DAY 5 - DAY The t.v has been dragged out of the shop and the temple crowd is all there. We start 1 hr into play with laxman getting out for 281. Threes a loud sigh and then a flurry of claps to laud Laxmans performance. Commentator announces that Ganguly has declared the innings. Australia will resume play and need 384 to win. Draw is imminent. There is a mixed reaction to his declaring the inninings. SHOP KEEPER 1 Draw pucca hai SHOP KEEPER 2 Declare kyun kiya. Khelte rehte BY STANDER 1 Agar 384 banaliye to? Ishaan stands up and with a glint in his eye ISHAAN Aur agar humne inhe out kar diya to? SHOP KEEPER 1 Follow on ke baad bhi koi team jeet it hai kya? ISHAAN Kyun nahi ho sakta? hua hai na? Kyun govind
GOVIND Sirf do baar hua hai, sau saalon main.. Chod de match draw hai ISHAAN Phir bhi ho to sakta hai na? ho gaya to? GOVIND (shakes his head in disbelief and smirks) Tu jo bol karoonga.. Agar
49. Govind points towards Ali. Ise goa le jayeenge. Jaise tu bolega waise hoga. Agar aaj india jeet sakti hai, to kuch bhi ho sakta hai Time passes with dull murmurs , Aus 166/3 at tea Govind gives Ishaan a wise look , while Ishaan hasnt lost hope. Ishaan looks very troubled and lost. Crowd thins and now ishaan and a few people are left watching outside the shop 7 wickets collapse after tea , its unbelievable. As each wicket falls Ishaan’s hopes rise and by the time it comes to the 7th wicket Ishaan is reduced to tears. Govind cant believe what he has just seen, the crowd that had thinned has swelled to a multitude. Ishaan is doing a tribal dance like you cant imagine. He spots Govind staring at him and goes dancing towards him and sings Goa goa, goa goa. INT. MONTAGE OF BUSINESS SUDDENLY TAKING OFF - DAY Kids pour into the shop to buy cricket goods. Newspaper headlines talking of Indias sensational victory. Govind counting money, Omi writing in the books, Ishaan distributing sweets. You cant wipe the smile off his face. Its like his daughter got married. He’s wearing the team india t shirt INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Vidya finishes pasting a poster of Hrithik Roshan on the inner side of the door of her closet and says Goa wistfully, still looking at the picture of 3 men on the poster. Govind says defensively that this is Ishaan’s idea... he would rather stay and work to earn back his loan. He looks at the watch and says he’s getting late. Vidya who has started brushing her hair in front of the mirror now says in an irritated tone that Govind has no time for... Govind cuts in and says I do make time for our tuitions but you waste those... Vidya now flings the comb on the bed, angry at Govind for reducing their time together to stupid tuitions. She pulls up the chair and buries her face in the calculus book. Govind starts explaining but Vidya interrupts and says this sucks... what is this bullshit dx dt about... *
50. Govind gets irritated at her reaction and says such an attitude wont see her far. This infuriates Vidya further and she says I dont want to do lessons today, I have a headache. Govind packs up his stuff to leave saying Ok, then take rest. I’ll be off... Try doing the problems when you’re feeling better. Vidya’s eyes are now moist at seeing her emotional blackmailing fail... she says petulantly I hate calculus. Govind shrugs and says well, its your idea to sit for the medical... Vidya keeps her face turned away, turning the end of her churni into knots... Govind leaves. Vidya controls a sob. INT. RAILWAY COACH - DAY Ali is busy climbing the rungs to go to the upper berth... Naseer helps him out and calls a chaiwallah ordering 4 cups of tea. Omi finishes shoving their luggage beneath the berth as Naseer hands over some money to Govind for their trip. Ish says that wasn’t necessary but Govind is not too reluctant as Naseer insists that they take it. Govind puts away the notes carefully in a plastic cover where he’s kept away the money for the trip. Naseer explains that he was going away for a rally in Baroda, so its a big help for him too...he adds, people are asking me how can I let my boy go with 3 guys who do not belong to our community...but I say secularism starts at home. Naseer notices Omi who is now mumbling some prayers before traveling and says lightly that its good to see his son in the hands of such god fearing youth. Naseer seems to be one who makes all the right kind of noises but you suspect him by the way he overdoes it. Omi looks up from his prayers, not too happy with the comment, thinking that Naseer made fun of him. But before he can say anything Ali tries reaching from one upper berth to the other thus distracting the adults to catch hold of him. INT. GOA CRICKET STADIUM - DAY The match has just ended and Ish says this is the time they should try and meet the players, after the ceremony is over. Omi cant stop staring at the foreigner women as the guys make way through the stadium towards the VIP enclosure. Govind asks him to stop gaping, the security would never let them in this way...
51. Govind and Ish try to lead the way gates of the VIP enclosure just as them and asks for passes... Govind like manner that they have to meet confidently through the the security guard stops says in a brisk business someone inside.
The guard is not impressed and says so does the rest of the crowd, he cant let autograph hunters go in there. He swears in Gujarati and Ishaan immediately warms up to the guard using the ‘deswallah’ connection. He gives some cock and bull story about Govind being the owner of a big sports store and hands over a card and a 100 rupee note with it. The guard now eases his stance but says he has a boss to report to...cant let all of them in. Ishaan points to Omi and says he’ll stay back, much to Omi’s ire. The guard says leave the kid behind but Ish sweet talks his way into letting Ali come with them. INT. GOA CRICKET STADIUM - DAY Ishaan looks quite star struck at the sight of his demigods up close as the Indian team makes its way back into the pavilion after the award ceremony is over. Govind nudges him and asks him to go do his bit now. Ish comes out from his trance and hurries right up to the fence to make it in time to shake hands with Harbhajan Singh as he walks past. Ishaan congratulates Bhajji and Harbhajan shakes his hand and continues walking towards the dressing room when Ishaan follows him on the other side of the fence telling him that they have come all the way from Ahmedabad to meet him .... Would he please meet this 12 year old boy from Ahmedabad... Harbhajan has a quizzical smile and says autograph? Ishaan says well no...I mean yes, autograph would be great but we want you to check out his batting skill. Harbhajan has a slight look of confusion but Ish carries on that cricket means everything to him...he couldn’t make it beyond district level, but he doesn’t want this boy’s talent wasted. He’ll do anything to see if the boy has potential...please....everybody needs someone to support him. Harbhajan stops in mid track and asks where is the boy. INT. GOA CRICKET STADIUM - DAY Omi is grumbling about how long he has been waiting outside... but stops mid sentence when he sees Ali out there at the crease with Ishaan and Harbhajan... the twelfth man on the team has opted to be the wicket keeper.
52. Ish explains to Ali that Harbhajan will be bowling spins, something that Ali hasnt faced too much of...but he should follow the ball closely...let couple of balls go and then hit out. Ali squints his eyes and nods. The first ball is a Harbhajan’s usual off spinner and Ali looks fairly confident as he strikes it for a two. Ishaan looks pleased and encourages Ali... Harbhajan changes the flight of the ball and bowls a straighter one... Ali, who had grown a little confident at the earlier delivery now fails to gauge the ball and is beaten. A smile lurks on Harbhajan’s face. Unsure of himself Ali lets the next delivery go. Ishaan looks tensed and Harbhajan raises an eyebrow towards him... On the 4th ball though, Ali charges down the wicket and hits for a 6. Followed by a sweep to hit a 4 on the 5th. Harbhajan now nods his head in approval... EXT. CRICKET STADIUM - DAY Harbhajan walks back to the pavilion with guys following in tow... he says that Ali will need training and has to build his stamina but his judgement of the ball is quite accurate... Ish can hardly contain his excitement and says Bhaaji how can we help Ali reach the top level... I can train him till the year end but where can he get really serious training. Harbhajan gives the name of a famous cricket academy in Bombay and says that’s where Ali should go in an year's time if he’s really serious about the game... Ish says but they will be very costly right... and so many applicants... Or, Harbhajan names the famous coach Ramakant Achrekar and says if Ali trains really hard this year then Harbhajan can help them in getting to attend Achrekar’s summer training camp. Harbhajan gives them his number saying that they should keep in touch with him. Harbhajan ruffles Ali’s hair and runs out.... Ish grabs Ali and together they do a huddle with Govind and Omi. EXT. GOA BEACH - DAY Govind rings Vidya’s number and disconnects it after two rings. He looks at Ish and Ali splashing in the water in the distance. * * * *
53. Vidya calls back and Govind says an awkward hello on the phone. Vidya says so why are you giving missed calls. Govind is tongue tied for a second and then says he was worried about whether she was working on the calculus problems. Vidya quips you called to check on my maths problem... before Govind can answer Vidya continues how is Goa...having fun ? Govind says yes, a far cry from any place in Ahmedabad...its almost like visiting abroad... then he adds you would like it here. She asks do you miss me... Govind spots Omi looking at him and turns away saying I have to go... Vidya says yes, you are on roaming and busy calculating how much this is costing you. Govind is embarrassed and says no...do you want anything from here. You’d probably go crazy if you saw their flea market. Vidya laughs and says she just wants him to get her some shells from the beach. Govind finds it strange that she should ask for something so simple and then says, Ok, see you later... He says I miss you too but he loses network and sees Omi trudging towards him. As Govind reaches the umbrella so does Omi ruffling his hair. Omi keeps staring at Govind knowing exactly what govinds been up to. Govind looks away sheepishly. I/E ISHAAN’S HOUSE TERRACE - DAY Vidya stands on the terrace and points to the plastic chair and table that she has placed in the middle of the terrace... she says today she’d like to have roof top tutions, she’s tired of sitting indoors. And its way too hot... Govind tears his eyes away from her as she fixes the mosquito coil beneath the table and asks so how have you been... Vidya stretches her palm in front of him and Govind looks questioningly. She asks for her gift... Govind pulls out a brown paper bag and Vidya turns it over on the table and exclaims at the sight of assorted shells that spill out. She starts inspecting each of them...holding them up to the sun... she holds one up for Govind to see the minute shade difference on the surface of it... As Govind leans his head to see the shell, Vidya whispers into his ears ‘ so did you really miss me’. Govind blushes and moves away instinctively. He tries to cover his embarrassment by saying I...I’m sorry Vidya... I shouldn’t have. I have too much on my plate... my business, the loans, you are my best friend’s sister...
54. His sentence remains unfinished as Vidya stands on her toes to raise herself to Govind’s height and plants a kiss on his lips.... Govind is too surprised to react. The sound of a pressure cooker whistle blows loudly from somewhere....Govind tears himself away and says this is not right. Vidya asks bluntly, why ? I am going to turn 18 in couple of months and the government of India thinks I am old enough to vote, marry and rear kids...but I can’t kiss you ?! What logic is that... She proposes coffee. Govind says no need but Vidya insists and drags him. I/E ISHAAN’S HOUSE TERRACE - DAY She shows her favourite hide out place beneath the raised platform for the water tank and pulls out a thermos flask and two plastic cups... welcome to Vidya cafe she says with a grin. She notices that Govind is not making eye contact with her and holds him by the chin and says its alright in a soft voice. Govind can’t control himself anymore and holds her in a tight embrace and starts planting kisses all over her face... Vidya’s face breaks into a shy smile as she leads his mouth to hers and exchanges the butterfly kisses for a big smooch.... The sound of an election campaign blares at a loudspeaker nearby... INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Ishaan brings out some video cassettes of old cricket matches and plays it back through the vcr... pointing out strokes to Ali... after a while though, Ish turns to see that Ali has slouched on the couch and is fast asleep. INT. CRICKET STORE - DAY Govind is doing the accounts for the day, Omi and Ish do the stock inventory for the new supplies. Omi recounts the deliveries he did to Govind but is interrupted by Govind’s phone beeping. Govind checks his message .... Its Vidya sending him sms kisses and asking wht r u doin... Govind quickly sends kisses back and goes back to listening to Omi’s report. His phone beeps again and Omi is irritated... who the fuck is sms-ing you so much. Govind says coolly its a supplier... Ish says trying to sell you something? Govind replies flippantly yeah very hard...Omi says why don’t you call him then... Govind- that would look too desperate. His phone rings again.... But thankfully this is a business call. Omi and Ish go back to their work.
55. INT. CRICKET STORE- MEZANINE ROOM - NIGHT Govind is laying out the piles of currency notes made into neat bundles and says 70k is their profit from last 3 months... Ish asks how do we divide it? Govind explains 40k is to repay the loan and the rest 30 to be divided equally amongst them. Both Ish and Omi can hardly believe that they have all of 10k for themselves...Ish says he’s going to start saving for Ali’s coaching next summer. Govind’s phone beeps again. He checks to see another message from Vidya reminding him that her b’day is coming up and he should get a cake. Ish teases him that the suppliers never let go of Govind...he’s really becoming the 2nd ambani. Govind replies back to the the sms and says with a note of boasting, nope I’m going to be the first Patel. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Vidya is rocking to and fro in her chair trying to memorise some lessons, occasionally scratching her head. Govind suddenly leaps out of his chair and plants a full kiss on her mouth. He lets go of her equally suddenly and returns to his chair, with a smile on his face. I/E. MINI VAN ON CITY ROADS - DAY Omi is seated in a van which has been decorated with the party flags and banners... the electoral candidate’s face is splashed on the posters. A popular hindi song has been remade and dedicated to the party’s name instead of the beloved ! For the young party cadres this is as close to a disco that they can get and they are having a ball of a time in the name of election campaigning. Some kids on the streets are also attracted to the music and are chasing the vehicle. EXT. NANA PARK - DAY Bitto Mama’s voice can be heard over the loudspeaker talking about building the Ayodhya temple... Bus full of ‘cadres’ are pouring in to Nana Park. Ish and Govind make way through it when Govind’s phone rings. It is Omi calling from backstage... he says in an irritated voice, where are you guys ? Govind says just entering. Omi is exasperated and says you guys are never on time...anyway, come backstage. We’ve got work to do. Across the park, as if in split mirror image of the first gathering, another party is preparing for their rally.
56. Chairs are being placed...kids come and run to sit at the forefront, the crowd gathering as someone does a mic testing... EXT. NANA PARK - DAY Backstage Omi is pinning the party badge and straightening his hair... he says in a tone of self importance, he has to go give flowers on stage to honour the Party president. He asks Ish to man the backstage entry and tells Govind to go check out the meeting of that other party across the border. There is a tone of authority in Omi’s voice and Govind raises an eyebrow in surprise at both his proposal and his tone of voice... Me says Govind incredulously ? Omi softens his tone and says please, I have to go on stage and you’re the kind of guy who would have no problem slipping in there... Mama specifically told me to keep track of what’s happening there and we owe it to Mama, don’t we. Govind lets out a sigh and walks out... EXT. MUSLIM NEIGHBOURHOOD - DAY Govind slips in to see Ali’s father addressing the mic and of talking about secular politics...from across the wall the other party puts up the volume of their PA just as they play a bugle sound to announce the arrival of their candidate. Ali’s father continues to talk about keeping religion and politics apart but there is a technical snag and power supply abruptly comes to a stop, switching off the mics. People in the crowd start getting restless and there is talk of sabotage by the rival party... Govind begins to feel a little nervous as one of the men standing beside him asks gruffly are you a party member. Govind says no... the man starts talking to a few other around him... Govind tries moving away when the man again asks him so where are you from... Govind mumbles something as the power supply is resumed and Ali’s father asks the crowd to be patient and introduces their electoral candidate. EXT. MUSLIM NEIGHBOURHOOD - DAY Govind is making his way through the crowd, trying to make an exit when he bumps into Ali’s father who stops and asks him what is he doing here... but doesnt wait for a reply as he says young people are always welcome. Govind retorts rather harshly that he was just passing by, he has no interest in getting involved with politics.
57. Naseer lets the topic go and asks him where’s Ishaan and Omi... Naseer starts walking with Govind and says are they at the other meeting...I’ll go and say hello to them. I’ve been meaning to thank you guys for the Goa trip...Ali can’t stop talking about how he batted to Harbhajan! Govind doesn’t know what to say as Naseer leads the way and enters Nana park. EXT. NANA PARK - DAY Ali’s father stands out with his beard and cap in the midst of the saffron brigade. People start muttering around them as they pass... Naseer tries waving at Bittoo but he looks away and speaks into Omi’s ears , who is standing beside him on stage. Omi springs down from stage and approaches Nasseer and Govind. He gives a look of irritation towards Govind and tells Naseer to go away before trouble starts. Govind shakes his head and tries explaining to Naseer who just gives a stiff smile and walks away. Govind says to Omi he shouldn’t have spoken so rudely to Ali’s father... it isn’t right. Omi notices the people gathered around him and hisses ‘don’t start on right and wrong with me ok ’... Omi walks off in a huff while Govind’s jaws stiffens. INT. CRICKET STORE - DAY The news of the twin tower blasts plays on TV... a small crowd has gathered around the cricket store to watch the footage of the towers crumbling being replayed over and over again... people start speculating amongst themselves what this would mean to world politics. Omi gushes it must be those damned mullahs man... anywhere in the world you spot terrorism and those guys are behind it. Ish and Govind are also too taken in by the sudden news to come up with any rationale. Omi’s phone rings and he starts having a conversation with Bittoo mama who is calling him over to discuss future plan of action... The tv channel reveals that news has just come in that four Muslim boys have been identified as Al Qaeda terrorists on this deadly suicide mission... Bin Laden has claimed responsibility for it. Omi continues to speak over the phone saying that yes this violence cannot be allowed.... they will wait for the election results and start a fresh campaign.
58. INT. BITTOO MAMA’S HOUSE - NIGHT Bittoo mama sits on an ornate swing and looks serious. Some party members and Omi are waiting for him to speak. The electoral candidate Hashmukh ji looks crestfallen. Bittoo mama addresses him and says that its best to let bygones be bygones...so they lost a seat in the bye elections.... But the real election is next year and they must start preparing for it. Omi gushes that surely they will get them next time..Mamaji will be contesting for that won’t he ? Mamaji smiles and says that’s secondary... what is needed is a fresh strategem for the party. The high command had expected the bye election loss but that just means they work doubly harder for the coming year... INT. BITTOO MAMA’S HOUSE - NIGHT The gathering is breaking up and people are beginning to leave. Omi munches down on the last dhokla, gulps it down with Coke and approaches mama to say goodbye. Bittoo mama says he would like a word with him... he says that the coming elections are very important for the party and even for their family... Omi beams and says he’s sure Bittoo mama will be the first MLA of the family. Bittoo insists that that’s not all...if Omi can show initiative and do some solid work for the party then Mama can ensure that Omi never looks back in life... he says remember you not only have to be a hard worker but a smart worker...if he can get the attention of the party high command then Omi will no longer have to be the delivery boy of a sporting shop... Bittoo mama says that your friend Govind thinks money is power....the other one thinks being an achiever is power...but I’m telling you Omi, my son, you will outlast all of them if you can prove your political power. Omi’s eyes gleam as he says in a respectful tone what do you want me to do Mama... Bittoo says I have a plan that you need to act upon... we need to gather public support for our cause... I want every second Hindu Gujrati to visit Ayodhya and get a sense of their heritage.... EXT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - DAY Govind stands by the corner of the house and carefully packs in a cake box into his back pack, looking surreptitiously around him to check whether anybody has noticed him.
59. He sneaks a glance at the terrace of Ishasn’s house and then proceeds to enter the house. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - DAY Ishaan is watching the one day between England and India on tv while his father pours over the newspaper... Ish gives a quick update of the match to Govind and asks him to join him. Govind keeps a straight face and says he’s here for tuitions. Ish shrugs and says his sister is studying even on her birthday, wow ! Ishaan says I hope Ali is watching the match... told him to... Ish’s father shakes his head saying that Ish is eating the kid’s head and leading him down a path of false hope...middle class boys should know where their limit is. Tendulkar hits a four and Ish just ignores his father and raises the volume of the tv. Govind stands awkwardly wondering how he can get out of this... Ish’s father tells him to switch on the light on the stairs leading to the terrace. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE TERRACE- DAY Vidya looks radiant as she feeds a slice of the strawberry cake to Govind. She wipes the bit of cream that drips down Govind’s chin and sucks it off her fingers. Govind pretends to remove something from her cheeks but instead smears some more of the cream on her face... this starts off a playful cake smearing session on each other’s face... Vidya giggles as she ducks before Govind can smudge her face with further cream and runs towards the terrace door. She turns towards Govind warning him that she’ll run downstairs if he doesn’t stop this now... but she doesn’t sound like she means it and Govind knows that. He stops chasing her and instead sits down on a chair and says ...go on, go downstairs. Vidya locks the door of the terrace and locks her gaze with Govind... two people staring at each other’s cake smeared face but yet forgetting to laugh.... A fire cracker bursts in in the distance, the sky lighting up suddenly with a shower of golden light.... INT.ISHAAN’S HOUSE TERRACE - DAY Vidya is seated on Govind’s lap...both of them engaged in a half licking half kissing ceremony on each other’s face.
60. Vidya draws herself apart for a moment and says my new kurta will get spoiled ... so saying she takes it off and lets it fall on the floor. Govind’s fingers fumble with the bra hook without success till Vidya reaches back and does the honours herself with a single flick of her hand. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - EVENING Vidya and Govind are crouched under the water tank both of them half dressed, she in her kurta and he in his trousers... Vidya is sitting with her face buried in her arms sobbing silently... Govind looks completely at a loss as to how handle the situation and almost as shaken up as Vidya. He tries saying its ok... look, I’m sorry. Vidya raises her head to reveal a tear blotched face and shakes her head...she breaks down and speaks through her sobs... she’s doomed,defective,something's wrong with her... she wanted to so much but she can’t make love... she must be frigid. Govind protests vehemently and tries to console her at the same time... says it happens first time...its ok and wipes the tears from her face gently. Vidya controls her sobs and says in a frustrated voice, so it’ll always be the first time... that means she’ll always remain a virgin. Govind teases her... he says, no, that means we have to try till you are no longer one! Vidya smiles at that and says she loves him. It suddenly dawns upon Govind exactly what he has been doing and he looks away reaching for his shirt. Vidya looks at him curiously and says what’s wrong? Govind mumbles, nothing...we better get dressed... Vidya asks what caused the change of mood suddenly? Govind snaps Damnit Vidya your entire family is two floors below us. Vidya slips on her churidar and says listen to me...nobody’s going to come up. Ma can’t climb stairs, papa must have gone for his evening walk and Ish bhaiya is glued to the tv... At the sound of Ish’s name Govind drains of colour as if the full import of what he has done strikes him... he sits down with his head hung low. Vidya kneels down in front of him and lifts his chin... she says I love you... Govind looks at her and says softly happy birthday Vidya. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Ish’s mother beams at Govind and offers him to join them for dinner..
61. Ish hollers that Govind should stay back and watch India win this. Govind refuses politely saying his mother will be expecting him and leaves. I/E. TEMPLE COMPOUND - DAY Omi orders a couple of guys to keep the bundles of pamphlets in the Trust office. He calls one of them back and pulls out the first few pamphlets from the bundle. He has a pleased expression on his face as he carries those proudly to his friends. INT. CRICKET STORE - DAY Govind and Ish look inquisitively as Omi waves the pamphlets under their nose. Ish catches hold of one pamphlet and reads aloud- ‘ Chaitavani Yatra ..All those who love Ram are invited to come to Ayodhya’. The pamphlet also carries details about why this trip is important to remind the Government in the centre of the Ayodhya temple issue...underneath that is Omi’s contact details for the person to be contacted for signing up for the trip. Ish frowns and says you’re organising this. Omi nods proudly... Govind says but Omi you dont have to get involved with all this you know... we’ve managed to pay off Bittoo Mmam’s debt. Omi looks a little hurt and says hey, I’m not doing this to make up for anything... I’m doing this because I want to prove... Ish says prove what ? Omi shrugs and says you guys have your goals... Govi has business Ish has cricket, I had to do something. Govind cant hide the surprise in his voice and says politics ? Does your mom know. Omi’s face breaks into a wide smile as he says, finally something for her to be proud of me. EXT. EMPTY LOT - DAY Ali strikes a ball that slips past mid off but he’s slow in going for a single... Ish shouts at him not to sleep on his feet... Ali tries picking up speed but the fielder does a direct hit at his side of the crease getting him out. Ish sighs and speaks to Ali as he comes off the crease... Ish tries explaining to Ali that he has to learn to go for the ones and twos... they have a few months till their trip to Mumbai to apply for the cricket coaching summer camp... Ali can’t let Ish down on that. Ali’s eyes well up with tears and he says what if I can’t Ish bhaiya... Ish slaps his back and says if you believe you can you will.
62. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT Two anklet adorned feet go up in the air, rapid cycling in the air as Vidya’s voice is heard ‘yippeee...I’m no longer a virgin’ ! Govind clamps down her mouth with a firm kiss. EXT. CITY STREETS - DAY Omi campaigning hard for the Ayodhya trip... overseeing distribution of pamphlets at public places, posters are pasted on the walls... Omi is seen taking down names of people interested in going for the trip, making phone calls...he appears busy. Omi seated in a rickshaw which has been covered with the party banners and posters of the Ayodhya trip... he is speaking into a mic and announcing dates of trips. INT. ISHAAN’S HOUSE - DAY Vidya draws a heart around a date on the calendar in her diary. Govind asks what’s this ? Vidya excitedly points out that these are the dates when they’ve made love... they calculate and it comes to an average of once a week. Vidya calculates and says she’s within her safe period now... Govind shrugs and says its always safe, we’ve never done it without protection. Vidya sighs and says you’re such an unromantic... I/E CRICKET STORE - DAY Bittoo mama is talking to Omi about the progress of the karsevaks trips, when he notices Ish and Ali making their way to the shop from the empty field behind the shop. Bittoo Mama’s eyebrows knit in a mild frown as he tries to place who the kid is... he looks questioningly at Omi. Omi stutters a little bit, desperately trying to signal Ish not to bring Ali up to the shop. Omi says that’s just a kid whom Ish is training... Bittoo mama’s frown deepens as he recognises Ali and says isn’t that Naseer’s son... Govind tries to save the situation by saying that the boy has talent in cricket so Ish is helping him out. Bittoo mama doesnt say anything in response and asks instead whether Omi and his friends are planning to go for the trip in February.
63. Govind explains that the trip to Ayodhya would take up too much time and they would have to keep the shop closed in this peak season.... they’re expecting a big order from a new school and are tied up with that. Bittoo mama doesn’t look too happy as he turns to Omi and says my boy, you got to lead from the front...what will people say if you yourself are not participating... Omi gives an accusatory look towards Govind and says apologetically to Mama that he really wanted to go...but he has promised Govind to help in procuring the supplies for their whole sale orders. He promises to go in March. Before Bittoo mama leaves Omi has an idea and says maybe I can convince my folks to go this time... Bittoo nods at the idea and says yes, they will also get a chance to do darshan. INT. OMI’S HOUSE - NIGHT Omi’s father shakes his head and says he doesn’t feel right about mixing politics with religion... he doesn’t want to be labelled as any party’s supporter. Omi’s mother cuts in and finally our Omi is doing managed to make him work under Bittoo’s guidance, says what’s the harm in going... something actively... you have never and now that he is doing something you are again opposing him.
Omi gives a dutiful look at his mother, enjoying his moment of support. His mother says, never mind if your father will go or not... I will go on my own then. Omi tries explaining to his father that this is not a political trip... the party is just acting as a facilitator, its a golden opportunity to visit the holy site. He looks petulantly towards his mother and says how will I convince others if my own family doesn’t stand by me in this one initiative that I’ve taken up... Omi’s mother pets him and tells him not to worry, they will not let their son’s attempts go futile... INT. CRICKET STORE - DAY Omi giving out the details of his parents for the ticket booking on Sabarmati Express... leaving on 20th February, returning a week later.
64. EXT. PUBLIC GARDEN - DAY Worry lines crease Vidya’s face as she sits on a park bench apparently waiting for someone. Govind arrives is a huff and says what’s the matter... why this urgent meeting. I have to send supplies over to the schools... Vidya’s worried face makes him stop and he asks again what’s wrong ? Vidya says I’m late. Govind doesn’t immediately catch on and looks at his watch... he says but you said meet at 5. Vidya looks exasperated and says no silly, I’m late ... my periods. Govind looks almost shocked for a second to hear her say the word and then sits beside her on the bench. He says what do you mean...we’ve never done it without protection. Vidya is irritated as she says she knows that but how to explain that this time she’s late by 4 days. Govind tries suggesting maybe these things happen... Vidya says no, it’s not usual for her to be late. She clutches Govind’s arm and says I dont know maybe I’m just fretting because I’ve been with you... Govind offers to take her to a doctor. She says it would be hugely embarrassing to tell a doctor that she might be pregnant. Govind chokes on the groundnuts that he was munching and says hey take it slow... we don’t know that as yet. Govind tries calming himself and reminds Vidya that the probability of her being pregnant is very low...they used all sorts of safety measures. Vidya cuts in with an exasperated cry...saying shit, why do always girls have to bear the brunt. Govind doesn’t know what to say to that and looks at the families near by, some with babies. Vidya says they should wait for another couple of days its probably a false alarm...just that she was getting worried sick thinking about this on her own. Govind stares vacantly at the passers by in the park and says what if its not ...? Vidya stays silent for a second and says what do you suggest...? Govind can barely look into her eyes and finally manages to say this is too big for me Vidya... pregnancy, abortion, marriage...I’m not prepared for all this.I’ve my business...
65. Vidya looks at him chickening out and flares up ...’how can you be so selfish Govind... you think I am ready for this ? So saying she gets up to leave. Govind realizes he’s created a disaster and catches up with her, asking her to cool down please, none of them are thinking straight now. Vidya says in a cold voice its alright... Govind says lets wait it out for a few more days. Vidya stays silent. INT. CRICKET SHOP - DAY It is early morning and the cricket shop has just opened. Omi has had to do the morning aarti (as his father is away) and he reaches the shop a little late but he has to go again. Govind and Ish have already opened the shop. OMI: Accha main aata hoon do ghante mein hain. Sab control mein hai na? GOVIND (SARCASTIC): Jee sir, sab thik hai. Aap jaaiye party mandir dekhiye. OMI: Sorry yaar, baba aaj vaapis aayen aur apna mandir sambhalen. Unhe hi to lene railway station jaana hai. Govind finishes counting the cash and is disappointed. GOVIND: Yeh February jaaye aur exams khatam hon, tabhi pickup hoga As Omi is about to leave, his phone rings. Omi sees the screen. OMI: ( a little self important) Sorry, party office se hai….(picks up)..haan, haan..station hi jaa raha hoon…kya nahin suna…kya?...dibba, are dibba kyon chaihiye…uff ruko… OMI finds a crumpled slip of paper in his wallet. He reads out. OMI: (CONT’D) Haan..sabarmati express hai..S6….haan S6…pakka S6 bhai, kyon? (worried as there is silence on other end)..arey kuch bakoge..?
OMI shrugs as he keeps the phone in his pocket. A little tension in the atmosphere. OMI's phone rings again. It is MAMA. OMI: Mama, jai sri ram, haan kya yeh party office se koi bevkuf….(interrupted)..haan ji mamaa, sun raha hoon mama, kahan mama? Party office? Aur station?...hua kya hai? ..aata hoon ji..jai sri ram. OMI gives a puzzled look to his friends. Just then a shopkeeper comes running to the shop. He is the same guy who coaxed Ish to bring the TV out in the India Aust test match. SHOPKEEPER: Arey Ish bhaiya TV kholo..hahakaar mach gaya…arey in mullon ne gujrat ko bhi nahi choda..are baba prayalay aa gayi. Ish turns on the TV. The images on TV makes everyone's faces white. Headlines flicker on the screen BREAKING NEWS: SABARMATI EXPRESS COACH BURNED IN GODHRA GODHRA MEIN TRAIN KE DIBBE KO JALAYA KAR SEVAKS TRAPPED INSIDE TRAIN; WOMEN, CHILDREN BURNT ALIVE Quikly the place fills up with a handful of other people. Some temple people, other shopkeepers & some people who have come to the temple. All eyes are glued to the TV screen. Anyone hardly speaks. There is a look of horror on everyone's face. Its difficult to believe what's happened. OMI looks at the screen shocked. He bolts out of the shop in a flash. Ish & Govind don't notice. They keep watching the news for sometime. Suddenly something strikes them. They look around in the crowd & then look at each other. EXT. OLD AHMEDABAD STREETS - DAY OMI runs through the streets to party office. We reveal various groups of people have formed along community lines. Each group is looking at the other with fear.
67. OMI reaches the party office. The TV is on. There are thirty party workers. While some are still watching TV, most have watched it enough and are sitting on chairs facing each other with their heads down. Mama is standing erect and has the remote of the TV in his hand. He flips through the channels for any updates. A few party workers man the phones and have the list of passengers and kar sevaks. We can hear them telling callers if a person was on the particular bogie or not. PARTY WORKER #1: Omi baba, (cries and hugs OMI as can't talk more) PARTY WORKER #2: Sabr rakho Omi baba. OMI is still confused/in denial. He comes and stands in front of MAMA looking for answers. They exchange a few seconds of silence as this time even mama has nothing to say. OMI: Mama.. voh baba aur maa ko lene jaana hai..station.. he holds out the ticket. MAMA knows what has happened and puts his head down. OMI: (CONT’D) Mama, station.. MAMA extends his arms out. MAMA: Omi beta, main hoon..tere baba aur maa main hoon..akele mat sochna bete OMI Kya bol rahe ho mama? Kya bol rahe ho OMI breaks into angry tears and pushes mama. Mama locks him in a hug and breaks down himself. Some party members gather around & try to console them. After some moments Omi unlocks himself from the hug.
OMI (still sobbing) Mama mujhe Godhra jana hai…
68. MAMA Tumhe kahin jane ka zaroorat nahi-main already kuchh logon ko bheja hai… OMI Nahi mama-mere maa babamujhe jaane dijie He breaks into hysteric tears. Some party workers catch hold of him. OMI (CONT’D) Mujhe jana hai… Omi starts howling & tries to break away with all his force. The workers have a hard time keeping him under control. EXT. CRICKET SHOP - DAY Ish and Govind have stepped out of the shop as the merchants around the TV discuss in banter. A shopkeeper hangs up on the phone. SHOPKEEPER Bhaiyon, dukaan band karo..sheher ki haalat thik nahin hai..suna hai jamalpur mein bas jali hai..chalo, chalo, aaj koi mithai nahi khayega. Shopkeepers scatter away as we see downing shutters, goods shoved inside shops. ISH Govind, chal. Omi ke pass. Kahan gaya pata nahin. GOVIND MAMA ke pass, chal dukaan samet kar chalte hain. They shut the shop close and walk out EXT. OLD AHMEDABAD STREETS - DAY Ish and Govind are walking through the deserted streets as Govind's phone rings.
69. GOVIND Haan maa, suna hai.. band kar di hai..aa raha hoon, abhi omi ke paas ho kar.. pata nahin, the to sahi usi train par, par abhi pata nahin… Meanwhile, Ish's phone also rings. It is his parents. GOVIND's mother makes him swear to come home now. GOVIND (CONT’D) Kya maa kasam vasam…accha aa raha hoon..(hangs up) GOVIND (CONT’D) Sidhe ghar bulaya hai. mujhe jaana hai, nahin to dar mein mar jaayegi.. ISH Mujhe bhi bulaya hai..par main check kar ke aata hoon. Omi ko? GOVIND
ISH Haan, aur Ali ko. GOVIND Keep in touch. The two friends part in opposite directions. Govind goes home and Ish goes to party office. INT. MAMAS PARTY OFFICE - DAY Omi is inconsolable. He has fallen on the floor like a child and cannot stop howling. Everyone around him feels bad and doesn't know what to say. Mama has knelt down and softly strokes Omi's hair. One of the party workers brings a phone to Mama. PARTY WORKER High Command hai sahib..uth jaao OMI baba. MAMA takes phone and shushes PARTY WORKER to be quiet. We close on MAMA as he steps aside.
70. MAMA Yeh himmat ho gayi inki…haan sahib, dilli kya karega…khali kaise jaayega…kaise jayega khali.. mera baccha ro raha hai mere saamne..kya jawab doon usko..khali ka to sawal nahi..aap fikar mat karo… INT. GOVINDS HOUSE - DAY GOVIND has reached home and in his room on the bed. He gets an SMS. FROM: SUPPLIER VIDYANATH "STAY SAFE, CITY TENSE - V" GOVIND replies. "I AM HOME. U OK? ANY NEWS ON THE P?" A reply comes back. "NOT YET :( TO ME THAT TENSION IS EVEN BIGGER. TC - V" GOVIND deletes the SMS and dials OMI. cut to party office. INT. MAMAS PARTY OFFICE - DAY Workers have lifted OMI and made him sit on a chair. One worker brings a tray with tall steel glasses. All workers have a glass in hand as they say "jai bam bam bhole" while they drink it. Omi has no appetite or will. Omi's phone vibrates and falls down. Omi has no idea or care for it. MAMA: Le le beta, thodi si bhang hai..madad karegi..Prasad ki tarah le le. Jai shiv shankar.. MAMA gets ready to address the audience as another two workers bring in long trunks. They open one to reveal swords. MAMA: (CONT’D) In randi ki auladon ne socha, yeh ghaas phoos khane wale gujrati kya kar lenge? Sahi hai, ek musalmaan ke liye 8 hindu is desh mein. (MORE) We hear the ring as we
71. MAMA: (CONT’D) Par yeh haramzade bomb phodte hain, gun chalate hai, plane hijack karte hain, aag lagate hain inko sab choot hain. Kaidi riha ho jaate hain, inki ek masjid tute to hangama hota hai. Sab ganwar ek saath vote dete hain na, isliye. Kisi neta ki himmat nahin ki in kutton ki ek galti to bhi maan le. Sivaye apne gujrat ke. Jahan inki aukaat hamein pata hai. We see party workers fighting tears and turning emotions to anger as they stand erect to listen. Ish walks up to the party office. He knocks on the door. He can hear Mama's voice from outside. Someone opens the door. A familiar face. Ish sees Omi. Omi looks completely devastated. Mama continues his speech. Ish stands in a corner & decides to listen. MAMA: (CONT’D) Chote chote baache, unki bekassor maaiyen, buddhe sadhu sant..chup chaap ayodhya jaa kar aa rahe the. Haramiyon ne yeh nahi dekha ki khidki par paanch saal ka munna hai..yeh cheekh aurat ki hain..kuch nahi dekha, suna. Bas tel daal kar jaala diya..pujari jee ko jalaa diya. Apne pujari jee..macchar nahi maara jaata tha unse.. OMI was sitting with his head hung low. The mention of his father makes him look up. He sees Ish standing in a corner but he looks through Ish. A look of fear descends on Ish's face. Omi's face looks red in anger. His tears have dried up in dark stains on his face. His hair is ruffled. He looks like a mad man. MAMA: (CONT’D) Bhaiyon, aaj meri apni behen bhi jaali hai..mein kehta tha na, in haramiyon ko mat khilao, in haramiyon ko mat sahara do. Yeh, mera bhanja, pujari jee ka beta..woh Nasser ka launda khelne aata tha, aur yeh doodh deta tha…arey haramiyon, tumse to saanp acche. Voh ek to daste hain..tumne to sabko jala diya…gujrati bhaiyon, ab hum kya karenge? Apni auraton ki chudiyaan tut-te dekhenge, ya inko tod denge?
72. PARTY WORKER: Nahin chodege..ek ek to khatam kar denge. MAMA: High command ka phone tha. Bole, bittoo, khali jaane dega? Jo lakhon log hamein support kar rahe, pooch rahe hain. Iska badla kaun dega? Dilli ki na-mard sarkar, ya hum? Hum! ALL PARTY WORKER:
MAMA: Baaki sheher mein tamasha shuru ho gaya hai. Magar mama jaldi nahi karta. Mujhe ek bus nahi jalani, pure mohalle ko thikane lagana hai. Raat ko shuru karenge. Tab tak jo kaher ka saaman mile, le aao. Socho mat, ab to yeh dharma hai arjun ka. Aisa sabak sikhao, ki Gujarat mein phir himmat na ho..Planning yahan se hogi, main dektha hoon. Maidan walon ka leader OMI hoga.. OMI looks startled. Party workers scream in support. PARTY WORKERS: Jai shiv shankar. Jai Omi bhai..Jai ho.. OMI: Mama, main?? (little bit tranced out).. MAMA: Time aa gaya hai beta. MAMA hands over gun to him. Party workers touch OMI's feet. PARTY WORKER: Sahib is Nasser ko mat chodna, (alternative: ek number ka motherchod-godhra operation uska planning hai sahib-pakka khabar hai)yeh dikhta sidha hai, par election mein bhi gadbad ki hai..kya pata..
73. MAMA: Nasseer to kya, uska khandaan ka koi na bhache aaj..(turns towards Omi)…tera maa baapko zinda jalaya in kaminone-ZINDA JALAYA…abhi sochneka time gaya… Suddenly Ish's phone rings. He takes the call & speaks in a low voice. ISH: Haan ma…chinta mat karo-main thik hoon… Haan Omike saath hoon…uske ma babuji donohi…kya kahoon ma-yakeen nahi hota(his voice chokes)tumlog dhyanse rahena…main aata hoon thodi ded mein… Ish disconnects & walks up to Omi. He is still sitting on the chair. He doesn't react. Ish sits on the floor at Omi's feet & hugs Omi. Omi feels like a stone. Ish is slightly surprised. ISH: (CONT’D) Mere saath chal-mere ghar… Omi keeps looking at him. He doesn't speak. His eyes look spaced out, harsh & dry. ISH: (CONT’D) Omi-sun raha hai meri baat? OMI: Tu ghar jaa Ish… ISH: Main tujhe lene aaya hoon… OMI: Tu bahera ho gaya hai kya? Tujhe kuchh sunai nahi deta? Mere maa baapko zinda jala dia inlogone Ish(Omi breaks into tears again)main inko zinda nahi chhodunga… ISH: Kisne jalaya Omi?-kisko zinda nahi chhodega? Omi looks confused for a moment. Then speaks.
74. OMI: Kisiko bhi nahi chhodunga-zinda gadh doonga-kuttey ki maut marunga ek ek musalman motherchodko-jo bhi saamne ayega… Ish is completely shocked. He realizes that Omi has completely lost it. Before his eyes he can see him turning into a crazy lunatic. He doesn't know what to say. A party worker walks up to Ish, Holds his hand & gently leads him to the other end of the room in front of Mamaji. MAMA: Beta-dostko madat nahi kar sakte ho to at least pareshan to mat karo… ISH: Lekin mamaji… Suddenly Mama's voice changes from polite to bitter cold. MAMA: Abhi ke abhi chalte bano yahan sevarna bahut buda hoga… Ish doesn't speak anymore. He looks around. A couple of nasty looking party workers are looking at him with blood shot cold eyes. Ish leaves. EXT. AHMD. ROADS - DAY Ish walks through the street of Ahmedabad. He walks in quick steps. His cautious eyes roving around to anticipate any sign of danger. The city looks empty & dead in the middle of the day. No sign of any public transport. Ish looks at his watch once & speeds up. His phone rings. He takes the call. INTERCUT-GOVIND HOME/ DAY/ INT GOVIND: Ish, kahan hai tu? ISH: Bahar hoon-raste mein… GOVIND: Tera dimag kharab hai kya?-tu bahar kya kar raha hai?
ISH: Phone kiun kia?
75. GOVIND: Omi ka kuch pata laga? 15 missed call de chukka hoon.. ISH: Bahut bura hua yaar..uncle aunty dono..(pause) GOVIND: What are you saying. ISH: Bahut bura haal hai..aur aur bura hone wala hai.. Matlab? GOVIND:
Montage cuts as Ish recites what he saw. GOVIND: (CONT’D) OMI riots lead karega? ISH: Abhi voh apna Omi nahin hai yaar. Soch, mom dad dono. Upar se mama, party..aur pata nahi kya pi rahe the saare..I'm really freaked out and scared. GOVIND: Damn..ek to use contact karna mushkil-anyway tu jaldise ghar wapas jaa… ISH: Main Ali ke ghar jaa raha hoon… GOVIND: Ali ke ghar ja raha hai? Pagal hai? Is time? ISH: I have to get Ali to my house-at any cost… GOVIND: Tu pagla gaya hai kya? Abhi ghar wapas jaa…
76. ISH: Sawalhi nahi Govind-mere paas koi option nahi hai-mujhe Aliko bachana hai-abhi nahi jaunga to bahut der ho jayega… GOVIND: I don't know what to say Ish-tu pura pagal hai…koi bhi zaroorat homujhe phone karna… ISH: Karta hoon… Take care… GOVIND:
Govind disconnects & shakes his head in disapproval. Ish starts taking longer strides. EXT. GULSHAN SOCIETY-DAY Ish reaches the gate of Ali's housing society. The huge gate is shut closed. He pushes it. It doesn't open. He starts banging. There's no response. He takes out his phone & makes a call. It doesn't connect. He looks frustrated. He tries again. After a couple of times the phone connects. INTERCUT-NASSER BHAI AT HIS FLAT Nasser bhai takes the call. He is surrounded by a group of very grim faced people. They are in the midst of some heated discussion. Nasser bhai puts his forefinger on his lips & silences them. Bolo Ish… NASEER:
ISH (pants) Nasser bhai-main aapke society ke bahar khara hoon-kissiko bhejke please gate khulwaie-main andar aana chahta hoon… Kiun? NASSER:
ISH: Main andar aake baat karta hoon…
77. NASEER: Do minute ruko… Nasser disconnects the phone & looks at someone. NASEER: (CONT’D) Bashir jaake gate khol do…Ish aaya hai-usko andar aane do… Bashir leaves. Someone in the crowd breaks silence. SOMEONE: Yeh aapne bilkul thik nahi kia Nasser bhai-Ishko aap kaese bharosa kar sakte hai?-Woh Omi ka dost haiaapko khabar hai ki Omi danga karne wala hai-yeh jaanke bhi aap… Naseer bhai cuts him. NASEER: Galat-Ishko main janta hoon-woh Aliko behat pyar karta hai- he’ll do anything for Ali. He can shield us from Omi and his men. If there’s one person who can stop us from Omi’s mob then its Ishaan. He is our god sent blessing... its critical that Ish stays here with us. People around nod their head in consent. Ish enters the room. Nasser bhai looks at the inside room & speaks. NASEER: (CONT’D) Ali-dekho kaun aaya hai… Ali comes out from inside. He is happy at the sight of Ish. He runs towards Ish. They hug. Ish holds him tightly. ISH: Nasser bhai mujhe aapse baat karna hai… Kya? NASEER:
ISH: Aakelemein… NASEER: You can say what you have to on front of them...these are my people
78. Ish looks around once. Curious faces are staring at him. ISH: I want to take Ali away from here... Kahan? Apna ghar… NASEER: ISH:
A little silence follows. Naseer speaks. NASSER: God bless you son for caring so much about Ali...but what about these other people gathered here? Naseer points at the others. NASEER: What about their kids? ISH: (exasperated) I can’t save everyone Naseer bhai NASEER: I can’t leave Ali alone with you... what if you get caught by the mob on the streets? His mother has gone to the village...if anything happens to Ali, I would never be able to forgive myself. But if you stay here with us, then maybe Omi will listen to you... Ish looks surprised. NASEER: (CONT’D) Omi apna aadmi leke aane wala haitum usse rok sakte ho… Ish shouts in impatience. ISH: Why dont you understand...I can’t stop Omi...he’s in a totally different space right now
79. Suddenly a tense murmur spreads around the room. Nasser looks confused. ISH: (CONT’D) Listen to me, all of you have to run away...it’s not safe here. Suddenly some people get up & leave the room. Someone speaks from the other end of the room. SOMEONE: Party High command ka phone lag nahi raha hai Nasser bhai-lagta hai line jammed hai-bahoot der se try kar raha hoon NASEER: Police ko phone kia? SOMEONE: Same there... Suddenly there is a deadly silence in the room. Nasser bhai breaks the silence. He speaks to Ish. The pretence of politeness is gone from his voice. NASEER: Omi ne bheja hai tujhe-phoot paida karne ke lie… Ish looks at Nasser bhai. He looks absolutely shocked. INT-PARTY OFFICE LATE AFTERNOON The trunks lay open. The swords inside them are being picked up one by one. The atmosphere gets heated up with every passing moment. The party workers roam around checking their weapons or softly talking to each other. Their faces are stern, their eyes red. Mamaji is on the phone talking to the high command updating about the preparations. Two new people walk into the office. One of them is carrying a big bag. He keeps it on the floor & unzips it. Other workers gather around & peep in. Plenty of fire arms are neatly stacked up in the bag. Some guys start getting them out of the bag. Mamaji disconnects the phone. His face looks beaming with nervous excitement. As if he is trying to control an impending happiness. Some rituals start happening. One guy starts chanting a mantra. His voice modulates with manipulative emotion. Another worker runs a knife on his thumb. Blood oozes out. He walks around putting blood tilaks on everyone's forehead.
80. He stops in front of Omi. He puts a tilak on Omi's forehead. Omi's eyes are focused on an empty space. They are burning red. INT.- NASSER BHAI'S FLAT EARLY EVENING Nasser bhai is making desparate attempts to make phone calls. The crowd has thinned considerably. Those left are seated around with hapless faces. Ish walks up to a window, peeps out & makes a call. INTERCUT WITH GOVIND AT HOME GOVIND: Ish-kahan hai tu? ISH: Yaar-main phans gaya hoon yaar GOVIND: Matlab?-hai kahan tu? ISH: Ali ke ghar… GOVIND: Tu abhi tak wahan se nikla nahi?kya kar raha hai tu? ISH: Yaar-Nasser bhai mujhe jaane nahi de raha hai Ali ko leke-udhar maa baar baar phone kar rahi haitensionse mar rahi hai bechari… GOVIND: To phir tu akele nikal-abhi… ISH: Main nahin kar sakta Govind-Ali ko chhodke main jaa nahi sakta GOVIND: To phir tu karega kya? ISH: Ek raasta hai-Omi aane wala haiuske saath baat karna padega… Akele? GOVIND:
81. ISH: Tu aa sakta hai kya yaar? Mere khatir-please… Govind thinks for a while. GOVIND: Tu wohi rook-main aa raha hoon… ISH: Thanks yaar-thanks… EXT. PARTY OFFICE- EVENING Party workers gather outside in a planned military fashion at 7pm. The number has swelled up. OMI holds up a map with routes and identified buildings. Four groups decide to go on four different paths. MAMA: Aur yeh aakhri, mere bete omi ki gali hai. Shaukat building aur phir yeh gulshan society. Voh harami naseer bhi yahin rehta hai. OMI takes a close look at the path and nods to mama. Mama kisses him on the forehead. EXT.- AHMEDABAD ROADS EVENING Govind switches between striding very fast & almost running. His face looks tensed. He looks around. The city looks empty as before. But there are signs of rampage around him. Broken glasses on the roads, broken shop windows, a burning car at a distance, etc. Some people run across the road a little far away from him. They have swords & other weapons in their hands. They keep chanting Jay Shri Ram. Govind hides himself behind a wall at the turn of the road. His phone rings. He takes it quickly. GOVIND: Haan bol…abhi nikalneka soch bhi mat Ish…halat bahut kharab haidanga phail chuka hai-tu nikal nahi paega…tu rook- main almost pahunch gaya hoon…aur paanch minute…
82. EXT.- GULSHAN SOCIETY COMPOUND NIGHT There is a loud bang on the huge gate of Gulshan Society. Ish runs up to the gate, slides open the tiny, old style peek window & looks through it. Govind. Ish opens the gate. Govind steps in & helps Ish in closing the gate. They hug tight. ISH: Thanks yaar-bol nahi sakta kitna acchha lag raha hai tujhe dekh kar… GOVIND: Omi is on his way-baat karte hain uske saath…
EXT. OLD AHMD STREETS/ NIGHT We see various buildings and cars burning. People with their clothes on fire running out. Omi leads the charge as we see the horrific sights through his hazy, drunken eyes and shaky walk. Hindu chants can be heard. EXT. GULSHAN HOUSING SOCIETY - NIGHT Ish & Govind are standing near the gate. There is no one else around. Suddenly a roaring sound of a huge mob starts approaching. Ish & Govind look at each other. Their faces have gone white with fear. The roar starts coming nearer. A slight tremble shows up in Govind's body. Ish clutches his shoulder tightly. Govind tries to calm himself down. Big knocks on the door. Ish doesn't open. OMI's voice is heard. OMI: Darwaza kholo haramiyon varna yahin jala denge. ISH: Omi, Omi, Ish.. Ish opens the peek window and the two friends come one eye to one eye. OMI: Ish, yahan kya kar raha hai? Darwaza khol, mil kar lete hain inki. Govind pushes Ish aside to look at OMI.
83. GOVIND: Omi-uncle aunty-Really sorry yaar. (almost sobs) OMI: Ro mat..please..ro mat..ro ro kar, ham log aurat ban gaye hain. Ro mat, kaatil andar hai..inko khatam karte hain..chain us-se aayega, rone se nahin.. The mob is restless as they are waiting to go inside and kill. ISH: Omi, inko vaapis bhej. Akele mein baat karein. OMI: Koi, kahin nahi jaayega..todo isko.. ISH: Tera dimmaag kharab ho gaya hai? Yeh ali ki building hai. OMI: To voh musalmaan nahi hai kya? Inhonein dekha, kaun baccha, kaun saccha..main kyon dimaag lagaaon..ab hat.. The mob starts jabbing at the door. The door resists, but it is clear it won't be so for long. ISH: Yeh pagalaye hai..inko hatana hai. GOVIND: 50 hain, sabse ladega…darwaza khol aur ghar bhaag.. Tu bhaag.. ISH:
They exchange stern glances. GOVIND: Ish, yaar tu samajh ISH: Tu bhaag na..mein ali ko nahin chodonga. Tera saath ho, na ho.
84. GOVIND: Ish, mere dost.. ISH: Dost ko chod. Jaa bhaag. Govind thinks. GOVIND: Kya karna hai? ISH: Tel chahiye..phir chat par chal. Govind and Ish find oil drums (have to establish beforehand a genset or a small workshop downstairs). Ish picks one and govind helps him as they start climbing the floors towards the terrace. People from houses are looking down scared thru their windows. The mob is jabbing the gate. Ish stops in front of Nasser bhai's flat. Govind stops with him. Ish knocks. Naseer sees through the keyhole, and though a little hesitant, opens it. ISH: (CONT’D) Ali ko leke upar aaiye… Nasser looks confused but doesn't question. He calls Ali. Ish & Govind have already started moving towards the terrace. Nasser & Ali follow. EXT. TERRACENIGHT
They step into the terrace. It is quite a big one. There is no one except them. Ish looks around. ISH:
Ali points towards a corner. Ali: Uss taraf ek khali hai… Ish: Nasser bhai-aap aur Ali woh tank ke andar-abhi…
85. NASEER: Uske andar. Ekdum andheri kothri mein? ISH takes out his phone. ISH: Yeh rakhie, isme light bhi hai. Jab tak phone na karoon, wahin rehnabilkul awaaz nahi-Govind unko help kar… Ish runs towards the edge of the terrace with the oil drum & climbs a raised platform. From here he can see the mob. ISH: (CONT’D) Ruko bhaiyon..kyon tod rahe ho, idhar dekho na.. The mob is surprised at voice from above. They look up. Many have torches. Jai shiva. ISH: (CONT’D)
Ish makes shiva poses. Mob is confused. Some even bow in respect. OMI: Ish nataak band kar. Niche aa. Tujhe nahin shamil hona ghar ja. Mera kaam mujhe karne de. Ish throws oil up in the sky. It falls down. It connects with torches and flames make their way thru the mob. Many get scared and run away. Omi is enraged. INT. GULSHAN HOUSING SOCIETY - NIGHT The few remaining people break open the door. The mob climbs up and some people stop at each level to attack the homes. Omi keeps climbing up. Ish and govind come down one level from the terrace and enters Ali's flat. The mob is about to reach. Ish picks up a bat and is ready. ISH: Police ko phone kar. GOVIND tries to call but fails.
86. GOVIND: Lag nahin raha. ISH: Idhar de. (takes phone, fails to connect, tries again) An SMS comes on Govind's phone, now with Ish. FROM: SUPPLIER VIDYANATH "OH MY GOD, I GOT MY PERIOD. YIPPEE! JUST LETTING YOU KNOW MY HOT TEACHER. LOVE YOU - V" Ish is puzzled. He looks into details and opens the number. It looks familiar. He calls. VIDYA: (excited) Can you believe it? I'm actually celebrating a period. Flow baby flow.. Vidya? ISH:
VIDYA: (petrified) ISH BHAIYA Ish hangs up the phone. Govind has figured out what happened. GOVIND: Ish, main explain karta hoon. Ish doesn't listen. He drops the bat and comes to Govind. Slap, slap!. Ish boxes govind in the rib cage. Govind winces and falls on the ground. He wants to talk but can't say anything. ISH: Dhandewala harami. Maa ko bech de tu to. Ish spits on Govinds face. Govind gets up. A bang on the main door as it breaks open. Omi walks in with his gang. OMI: Kahan hai Nasser aur uska pilla? ISH: Koi nahi hai yahan. Lagta hai bhaag gaye. Dekh.
87. OMI looks around and finds no one. He rushes out. On his way out he looks at Govind. He has sat aside nursing his hurt and too hurt to react. Ish follows Omi. Govind steps out when they are both out. GOVIND: Ish, kahan ja raha hai. ISH: Tujhse door. OMI is surprised as why Ish and Govind have had a fight. Still, he continues. Ish & Govind reach the terrace behind Omi & his gang. EXT. TERRACE - NIGHT Omi & his people spread out in the terrace. They start combing the place. Ish & Govind stand silent. The search goes on. Ish speaks. ISH: Omi-yahan koi nahin hai… Omi is almost convinced. He is about to leave. His men gather up. Just then a mobile rings in attic. Vidya has called Ish's phone to explain. The very familiar ring tone of Ish's phone spreads through the terrace. Omi looks up, his eyes livid. A few party workers with him have seen the betrayal by his own friends. OMI: Jhutein saley, kis ke liye jhoot bol raha hai. Party workers drag out Ali and Nasser. As they line them up, Ish attacks the party workers and gets into a scuffle. The party workers are shocked and release naseer and ali. They run out to get more help. OMI: (CONT’D) Ish, hat ja. OMI takes out his gun. ISH covers Ali behind him. Naseer notices Ali is safe, so he tags along and is behind Ali.
88. OMI: (CONT’D)
Ish's hand from behind signals them to run out of the terrace. But naseer is scared to run out without Ish. Ish has to make a quick turn and run out, so Ish walks as much backwards as possible, until he reaches the terrace door. ISH: Baat karte hain, doston ki tarah..yeh bachpana. OMI: Baccha nahi raha omi..hat ish.. ISH makes one brisk move as he picks up a broken brick & throws at omi and turns and pushes naseer and ali out of the terrace. Omi is livid and follows. Govind walks out of the terrace behind Omi. Ruk ish.. OMI: (CONT’D)
ISH continues to run down. Ali stumbles on steps and winces in pain as he hurts knee. Ish takes him piggy back. Nasser uses Ish as shield as they come down. Nasseer wants to be out asap. Omi tries to target Nasser, but the three of them are too close. PARTYWORKER FROM BEHIND: bhagne na paaye. OMI: Ruk ish..last time.. Ish doesn't stop. Omi fires. This time Ish stops. Ish looks up. There is a tiny red hole. OMI looks at Ish. Ish looks at OMI and GOVIND. GOVIND looks at them both. The 3 friends have come to this strange stage. Ish stands straight for 3 seconds and he falls down. Blood has spread thru his shirt. Riot noise subsides. We fade out.
89. INT. CRICKET STADIUM - DAY The red light on the third umpire’s box remains unlit as the third umpire announces his decision and the green light is switched on to declare ‘Not out’. A collective sigh of relief washes down Govind and Omi... Ali takes his position on the crease again... the commentator says that the newcomer has had a very close shave, it remains to be seen what he makes of his 2nd chance at the crease. The bowler starts his run up... For a fraction of a second Ali imagines he’s back in Nana Park and Ish is bowling to him on their first encounter... The ball bounces off the middle of the pitch...Ali moves back to make room for himself and connects bat with ball with a sharp cracking sound.... The ball soars high into the air... Freeze frame as the crowd breaks into loud applause. INT PRISON CELL - NIGHT TRANSITION TO DAY BREAK Omi is seated in the darkness looking out at the sliver of sky seen through the wire mesh of the window.. A halogen outside the window throws the shadow of the wire mesh grid on to the wall.... The shaft of light changes from the yellow of the halogen into the soft hue of dawn... as the light changes we see that the wall is adorned with old newspaper cut outs and some photographs featuring Ali ... Picture of Ali at net practise...old newspaper cut out of Ali scoring a century in the under 16 tournament... a picture of Ali with Govind at his new sports store... news clipping of Ali being selected for the IPL matches. A guard walking down the corridor looks into his cell and says knowingly, ‘couldn’t sleep the night before you step out, could you... you better get ready’ Omi walks up to the wall and starts taking off the paper clippings and pictures off the wall one by one... FADE OUT