This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
NOTE: you should install the Google toolbar (toolbar.google.com) to assist with research
“Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful.” Unstated Maximize revenue from information queries by displaying highly relevant, context specific advertisements
Google Adwords – Pay Per Click Advertising
AdWords advertisements are displayed above and to the right of the Google search results. Advertisements are ranked according to the revenue they generate for Google, which is a function of their ability to attract visitor’s clicks (Click Through Rate / CTR) and the advertiser’s maximum Cost Per Click (CPC). PPC is also synonymous with Search Engine Marketing (SEM).
Organic search results represent Google’s best estimate of the most relevant information for a given query. Organic results are ranked based on the following formula:
Link Popularity = the quantity and quality of links into a site (accounting for the terminology used within the links) – Google defines Link Popularity as “PageRank” which maps popularity on a log 8 scale from: 1 to 10 Content Optimization = the prominence, frequency, and density of keywords visible on a web page
Synergy and Differences between PPC and Organic Strategies for Website Owners
Search Engine Optimization has its limits. Typically a webpage can only be optimized for a single keyword/phrase. Therefore SEO is a competition for rankings for the highest volume search engine queries. Pay Per Click advertising is a strategy to generate the maximum traffic and leads from a given marketing budget. Therefore the PPC incentive is to optimize for the long tail of low volume / low cost search engine queries. Since PPC results and keywords performance can be deterimined in a short period of time, PPC advertising results will drive the SEO strategy.
High Level SEO Process
1. Build a List of Relevant Search Terms a. Intuitive Guessing b. Asking Customers c. Assessing Competitor’s Terminology d. Using Yahoo & Google suggestion engines 2. Narrow Down Keywords to a Target List of 20 or less a. Weed out less relevant terms b. Assess the competitive environment for each phrase and weed out unrankable phrases 3. Map Target Keywords to Pages within Website Capable of Achieving Top Rankings 4. Identify Link Opportunities to Build PageRank a. Within Search Results for target keywords b. Analyze where competitors generate their links c. Identify willing customers & partners d. Request links from associations of membership (i.e. BBB) e. Identify Relevant categories in Major Web Directories i. dir.yahoo.com ii. DMOZ.org already listed
iii. BOTW.org iv. Business.com 5. Outline Strategy for Optimizing Content on the Mi5networks.com Website
Build a List of Relevant Search Terms
GOAL: Build comprehensive list of relevant search terms ranked by volume and rankability • Identify keywords using the Yahoo/Overture search suggestion database o http://www.nichebotclassic.com/o/ Search for a keyword or phrase, and the tool will return all search terms with significant volume that contain the given keyword or phrase o Intuitively narrow down to relevant terms • Ask Existing Customers / Prospects directly about keywords / search terms they might use / what comes to mind when describing Mi5 or its competitors o Feed these keywords back into the Yahoo/Overture suggestion engine to find similar terms Review competitors websites for terminology (see competitor’s list) o What keywords / phrases / marketing messages are competitors going after Eyeball it • Look in the title & at prominent text & images Review terminology used to link to competitor’s websites o What keywords are other sites using to link to the competitors Search on Yahoo for “link:www.competitor.com” • Go through the first XX links o Identify the link / banner ad on the page and the terminology used specifically CTRL-F “competitor” or tools >> view source - then CTRL-F “competitor” Make note of new terminology • Identify websites that might also link to Mi5networks.com o Directories o Product / Service review sites o Informational Wikipedia o Social Networks o Customers o Complimentary Services o Forums o Blogs Pass Blogger’s info to Doug for future PR
Publicity / PR competitors have generated bookmark page / identify publication and author or editor Pass to Doug for future PR targeting
Get feedback from Doug to narrow keyword list down to high relevance terms o The list will develop with time, so there will be multiple reviews of the list
• • • • • • • • BlueCoat IronPort FaceTime Barracuda Networks Trend Micro McAfee Websense SurfControl
Keyword Ranking Analysis
• Search on Google for each target keyword/phrase o Go through the top 10 results For each page, note the PageRank Eyeball the prominence and frequency of the keyword on the page • Use Google toolbar’s highlight function to help Identify the first page that has near equivalent PageRank to Mi5 (PR of 6, with 469 links) • Look at how prominently and frequently the keyword/phrase is used on the page & assess whether Mi5 Networks can achieve parity on content optimization Make note of any sites that might link to Mi5 (see above) Repeat for each keyword Map “rankable” keywords to pages on the Mi5 website that can compete
High Level PPC / Search Engine Marketing Process
1. Organize relevant search terms into groups representing the same marketing message a. Build out list with long tail search terms 2. Conduct A/B testing on marketing messages to improve Click Through Rates and Reduce Cost Per Click 3. Monitor Lead Conversion and Refine Keyword and Bidding Strategies
• • • • • • Use Google and Yahoo Search Suggestion Tools to build first list of keywords Narrow Keyword List down to High Relevance Terms Generate X,XXX monthly visitors through SEM o Monitor Cost Per Lead to generate at minimum X leads from Budget of $X,XXX Summarize Top Competitor’s Messaging Identify 20 or less “rankable” keywords & map them to pages on Mi5Networks.com Present Findings & Final Deliverables
• Step by Step Guides o Writing Copy for the Search Engines (April 13th) Will include two e-books from other authors covering tips and tricks o How to Structure a Navigation Scheme, & Links Within Web Copy to Improve Search Engine Rankings (April 20th) o How to Create a Google Sitemap to ensure full indexing of website content (April 20th) Keyword Strategy (April 20th) o Keyword Targeting Map for Up to 20 pages of Mi5 Website Link Building Strategy list of potential Link partners (May 2nd) o Identified within Google search results for target phrases o Identified from within Competitors’ links
PPC Deliverables (May 2
Break Keywords into separate Ad Groups within AdWords account, and build out long tail of relevant phrases Go through 8+ iterations of Adwords Text Ad Copy to Optimize Click Through Rate o Achieve 2%-5% Click Through Rate o Remove unprofitable Keywords from Groups
Next Actions (to be completed prior-to &/or during weekly meetings)
• March 21st o Nail down the starting Adwords monthly budget
Where is Mi5 on Website Redesign Mock-ups? Strategy? Questions?
March 28th o Doug: divide the current 117 keyword list into categories representing the same customer / pain / marketing message o Doug: describe the key marketing messages & terminology necessary to reach the audience searching for each category of terms Will be used to create the Ad copy o Tepper: Create Ad Groups in Google Adwords for each category Add the relevant keywords, and build out long tail of phrases using Google’s suggestion tool + intuitive guesses • Get feedback from Doug on questionable terms Craft 3-4 Text Ads for each category • Tepper team can take a first stab, then Doug can review, edit, and activate the Ad Groups o Review first outline of Navigation and Interlinking Strategy doc Discuss ways to improve landing pages to increase conversion April 4th o Progress Review Analyze keyword conversion rates, & update keyword bidding strategy Iterate on Adwords Ad Copy to increase Click Through Rate Discuss ways to improve landing pages to increase conversion April 11th o Progress Review Analyze keyword conversion rates, & update keyword bidding strategy Iterate on Adwords Ad Copy to increase Click Through Rate o Analyze the browsing behaviors of website visitors (now that we have a decent sample) Identify issues & opportunities for Website Design & Navigation improvements • Discuss ways to improve landing pages to increase conversion April 18th o Discuss the top 15-25 Performing Adwords Keywords and use them to create the keyword targeting map for SEO o Iterate on Adwords Ad Copy to increase Click Through Rate o Discuss SEO Copywriting Guide deliverable and it’s applications for Mi5Networks.com: “Writing Copy for the Search Engines” (including E-Books) • To be sent on April 13th April 25th
Progress Review Analyze keyword conversion rates, & update bidding strategy Iterate on Adwords Ad Copy to increase Click Through Rate Discuss SEO Site Navigation & Interlinking Strategy Guide deliverable and it’s applications for Mi5Networks.com: “How to Structure a Navigation Scheme, & Links Within Web Copy to Improve Search Engine Rankings” • NOTE: This comprehensive document will be sent on April 20th but we can discuss the general concept / framework whenever you like (see PPT for brief review)
May 2nd o Review the findings of the Link Building Strategy research o Google Adwords Progress Review o Discuss issues/concerns/ideas for Mi5Networks.com design & content improvements