This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
© September 2012 Herb Davis All Rights Reserved
File hosted by the NCGenWeb Project http://www.ncgenweb.us/martin
An Historical and Pictorial Record of Weeping Mary Missionary Baptist Church © September 2012 Herb Davis All Rights Reserved
Introduction As early as I remember, the history of the church has been told during the church anniversary celebration. My earliest memories of the church history were by Sister Odessa McFadden Collins. She would read much of it but added many of her own recollections as well as those of others. As young children, one of the most amusing parts for us was the stories of members giving the Pastors chickens, sugar, flour, cornmeal and other things because there was little money. As time is rapidly moving on and those who know the old stories have departed or getting older, it has become very important to document as much of the church history as possible for future generations. To get the most complete history as possible, I used written accounts of Evelyn Odessa (McFadden) Collins (b. 1914- ), Octive (Knoble) Wynn Roseborough (b.1923-), Rev. Raymond Morris (1908-2001), Spencer Wynne (b. 1925- ) and Ernestine (Davis) Cordon- Staten (b.1928-). In addition, I used the oral recollections of Mildred (Davis) Cheatham (b. 1918- ), Willie Moore, Janie Smith Johnson, Wes Frazier and others. Rev. Dr. Lemuel Boone and Rev. Dr. Harold Murrill provided much support through conversations and information in their books on the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association of which Weeping Mary is a member. Despite the tremendous contributions of these, there is no doubt; the greatest contributor has been my mother, Marian Davis (b.1928-). She has inspired me with her love of history and preserver of history, whether family audio interviews, pictures, and documents as well as community history. In the course of this writing she has provided me with her earlier historical documents on church members, officers, church events and dates. She collected many of these from the formerly mentioned members and
with clerical assistance of Eva C. Hill and others created a list of members past and present. While I have mentioned several people who have provided invaluable information for this account of the church history, there are many others whose names I have not mentioned. Perhaps some of the most important sources of information regarding the history of the church have been the official records of the church kept in the minutes of the Sunday School, the minutes of the church conferences and the church rosters. These records detailed the membership, officers, participation in church organizations, illnesses as well as excommunications and other church decisions. I have avoided including any of these historical events and also sought to verify as much as possible any facts that were provided by individuals. Every effort has been made to avoid identifying any individuals who may have received any sanction for violating the very strict observance of all rules of sobriety, unwed pregnancies, marital, etc. The ongoing digitalization of records of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association and other documents has added new details of members that would have been most difficult to gather otherwise. This continual digitalization will no doubt add more chapters to this and other church histories in the future.
Early History For generations we have been told that our church, Weeping Mary Missionary Baptist Church of Jamesville, N.C. was founded in 1867 by former slaves and others under the leadership of Rev. (George) Abram Meban(e), the church’s first pastor. This original church was called St. John’s Baptist Church and sat on a hill across the street from its present location on Water Street and the members were said to have met under a sycamore tree.
While there were no written records of these events, this was the oral history through the years. That was the case until this year (2012) as I researched the church’s history and members. One breakthrough came as I went about searching, recovering and restoring some of the tombstones that had fallen over and been covered by nature and time. One Saturday in April (2013), I lifted a tombstone, stood it up and cleaned it to determine the name. Eventually, the name George Jarvis, (died 1903 at 87 years of age) appeared. Later that night while reading the History of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association by Rev. Dr. Lemuel Boone, I saw the name, Rev. Georgie Jarvis. He was noted as a former slave who was being recognized at the 1878 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association meeting as one of the members having been with the association from the beginning. The next day, I went to look at the tombstone and sure enough, Rev. George Jarvis was now clearly seen on the headstone. This was documentation of the former slaves in the creation of the church and his status as one of the original members. However, three other documents were found that also validate the beginning of the church. In the 1871 minutes of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Minutes, which would have been only a few years after the founding of the church in Jamesville, it is listed as Sycamore Chapel in Jamesville with George Jarvis as Delegate and George W. Reid as the Church clerk. Sycamore Chapel would certainly seem to fit with the legend of the first meetings under a tree on the hill across from the current site, near the river. The second and most important document is an 1890 funeral obituary for Matilda Sanders. In this obituary, it is stated that “Sister Sanders was a member of the church for 24 years” and further states that “she was a member of the church ever since it was organized 1866”. It is stated a second time that the church was organized in “1866”. This was an official documentation of the year of the church’s organization and the accuracy of the elders’ oral history.
The third validation most recently was found in the minutes of the June 5, 1938 church conference. In those minutes it states, “the Pastor extended greetings to us from the Roanoke Association Institute of the 72 anavrsary”. The first documentation of the current church site is a March 9, 1885 deed that shows the sale of a quarter acre on Water Street by U.S. Hassell and his wife Mary V. Hassell to the trustees of Weeping Mary Baptist Church for the sum of twenty-five ($25.00). The church eventually built on the site and paid off the mortgage. A 1913 document shows “This mortgage presented marked paid and cancelled March 20, 1913” was presented by J.P. Butler, a noted school teacher who was also a Justice of the Peace. The first official documentation of a church officer is the same 1871 minutes of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Minutes that lists (Rev.) George Jarvis as Delegate and George W. Reid as the Church clerk. Other delegates and clerks are listed in later minutes (see Secretaries and Clerks). A later October 1, 1893 Martin Co. court document shows (Rev.) James Johnson had been elected Treasurer and he and his wife Julia Johnson paid a $1 fee and placed their mark (X) on a deed of trust “securing said church from all loss on account of said treasurer ship”. The agreement was made at the time with the church trustees; William (W.C.) Cooper, Elder William Grant (W.G.) Holloman, Spencer Wynn Jr., George Wynn and H.E. Ellison. The minutes of the 1916 Sunday School show the church as the Queen Mary Baptist Church with Rev. Joseph Edward Tillett as pastor. The 1918 Sunday School minutes show in May 1918 the church began using Weeping Mary with an occasional Queen Mary reference that ended by the end of the month. However, the minutes of the 1917 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association list the church as Weeping Mary. The church continued to grow as leadership changed from time to time. Over the years, the church eventually changed from a clapboard building to brick in 1974. Willie Moore remembered serving as an usher when there was no church vestibule for attendees to wait to enter the service. When
the door was opened, people walked right into the church sanctuary. During times when it was raining, he said it was a challenge to keep people from coming in during prayer. The church sold their old bell and bought a new bell in 1939 for $18.75. Eventually, Deacon Nathaniel Davis, a carpenter and others built the vestibule and the steeple was updated. The inside of the church which had been sheetrock was updated to paneling. William Nathaniel Davis volunteered and put up paneling in 1983. The heating of the church was by a wood stove and Deacon Nathaniel Davis (church janitor/sexton) would start a fire in the mornings before services. Eventually the church got a very large pot-bellied stove that all the kids loved, especially when Deacon Nathaniel Davis opened it to put in a fresh batch of coal and the smoke and sparks would fly to the ceiling. The latest pews were bought in 1988 under the pastor-ship of Minister Joseph Thigpen. Odessa McFadden Collins and Mildred Davis Cheatham, long-time members remember when the church had a small baptismal pool that the men dug, lined and maintained for baptisms in the 1920’s. In 1884 there were 18 baptisms. Most people remember church baptisms taking place in the Roanoke River, a short walk from the church. Members dressed in white and a roped-off area of the river was used. Ernestine Davis remembers the pastor (W.J. Moore) baptizing people and then drying his clothes on a clothesline in their backyard which was on the river. As with most of these early churches, there was no indoor plumbing or running water. Early on and for quite some time, for water, the members used a well belonging to Sister Mamie Riddick who lived next door. There were outdoor toilets, women on one side and men on the other. As early as the 1930’s, the church would have a “Before Day Meeting” church service at 4 a.m. Deacon Nathaniel Davis would start a fire prior to this service according to his daughter, Ernestine. When the local school, a half block up the street, burned down, school was held at Weeping Mary for a time.
Because the church did not have a fellowship hall, for Homecoming, the men of the church would make wire tables strung between the pine trees on the east side to hold the food. The women would bring cardboard boxes filled with fried chicken, string beans potato salad, macaroni and cheese, candy yams, sweet potato pies and large chocolate, coconut, lemon and pound cakes. Because of segregation and economics, black people were limited in the places they could eat and stay when they travelled. Pastors often stayed with a member when they had to travel a long distance. Marian Davis remembers having Rev. Trotman spend the night with her and husband, Herbert, Sr. during a 1950’s Revival. Members also invited the Pastor for dinner on Sundays after the church service. These dinners are the source of many stories of the Pastors, children and food. One of the most common one was how the preacher would say they wanted “just a little piece of meat after dessert to take the sweetness out of their mouth.” The very early church records showed the pastor being paid four dollars and the earliest ministers probably received much less when paid. The record shows the pastor being paid $40.00 in 1941. Because the early members did not have a lot of money, they often paid the pastor with food. This included chickens, flour, sugar and other food items. This was not the only time the pastors were presented with food. One of the early practices of the church was to “pound” the preacher. At this service the members would give the pastor flour, sugar and other items by the pound. The members have continued this practice with some updating of the times such as money to buy their preferences.
Pastors Weeping Mary Missionary Baptist Church has been blessed with outstanding pastors. From the earliest days of its founding, the pastors have not only been ministers of the gospel but also leaders in education and social progress from the community to the state and national levels. The first pastor, Abram (George
Abraham) Meban spent 40 years as a school teacher. Several of the early and later pastors were graduates of Shaw University. Rev. Abram (George Abraham) Mebane (1867~) was born in 1817 (wife, Viney) in Bertie Co. In addition to Weeping Mary, Rev. Mebane was the founding pastor of several area churches including New Chapel Baptist Church in Plymouth (1866) and Cedar Landing Baptist Church (~1866) until he left to become the first pastor of Indian Woods Missionary Baptist Church (Bertie) in 1876. He was also one of the early leaders of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association. Following the Rev. Abram Mebane was the illustrious pastor, Rev. John Wesley. Dr. George Wellington Lee (~1879~) who was often called “the Daddy of Negro Preachers” followed Rev. Wesley. During his time at Weeping Mary his interpretation of the scriptures was considered quite original and unusual. In 1885, Dr. Lee was called to Vermont Avenue Baptist Church Washington, D.C. to succeed the church’s founder, Rev. J. H. Brooks, who passed away the previous year. It was here that he continued his outstanding work in the ministry. Dr. Lee was noted as a promoter of African missions, helping the disadvantaged and youth leadership. His outstanding work in mission work in Africa, national prominence and international travels helped him increase the D.C. church membership to almost 4,000. He selected his successor on his deathbed in 1910 but pastored Vermont Avenue Baptist until his death in 1911. Despite his international acclaim, his beginnings in North Carolina were never forgotten. Rev. J.A. Garrett (-1885- ) followed Rev. Dr. George Lee. Rev. B. K. Sykes (~1889~) followed Rev. Garrett. His tenure is verified by an 1889 postcard from a Rev. A. Boone in which he apologizes for missing a service because the train did not come on schedule. Rev. Simon P. Knight was chosen as the successor to Rev. B. K. Sykes. Rev. Knight was a dynamic, courageous personality who wanted to see progress. He was also
chosen as a member of the Committee on Permanent Organization in the 1885 Twentieth Annual session of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association. Rev. Dr. Carey Miles (C. M.) Cartwright (~1891- 1901), born in Deep Creek, Virginia March 1, 1864); (wife, Elizabeth Bembry Cartwright) was a pulpit orator who could hold the attention of the young and old. Rev. C.M. Cartwright became pastor of Zion Bethlehem Church in 1897, the second pastor of that church in Windsor after its founder. Rev. Cartwright spent 10 years at Weeping Mary. He was quite active across the region and is noted for having preached many funerals of noted early Baptist leaders, including Peter W. Moore, the President of Elizabeth City State Normal School (Elizabeth City State University). He is listed in the 1940 census as a Baptist minister in Elizabeth City, NC where he was the Pastor of Olive Branch for many years. Ironically, he baptized Ms. Ruth Wynne, the wife of a long-time supporter and former member, Spencer Wynne. I heard of Rev. Cartwright long before I knew who he was. My Uncle Elijah (Losh) Midgett would tell stories about how in 1905, he and C.M. Cartwright (I was a child and thought he was saying Sim Cartwright) would go in the log woods and work all day. It was not until I began to write the history that I realized he was talking about the pastor, C.M. Cartwright. The next pastor was Rev. W. A. Taylor, known as “The Great Taylor”. Not much is documented about Rev. Taylor’s time at Weeping Mary but he was memorialized in the 1918 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Obituary of members who had passed in the year. Next to come to Weeping Mary was another Cartwright; the Rev. Dr. Rubin Ralph Cartwright (?).(wife, Charity Lilly) Cartwright. The organization of the East Roanoke Association took place in the Haven Creek Baptist Church, Roanoke Island, 1886. Roanoke Institute at Elizabeth City showed that one thousand students had been enrolled up to 1908; thirty-five graduates had been sent forth to bless the State and the world, and that among that number were several of the ablest preachers to be found anywhere in the State. Not from this school but from
this Association had gone the gifted Lemuel Boone, whom North Carolina has produced no greater. Besides these, Revs. G. D. Griffin, B. W. Dance, Z. W. White, W. A. Taylor, C. M. and R. R. Cartwright and I. S. Riddick. Rev. Dr. John W. Faulk (~1909-1917) followed Rev. R. R. Cartwright. Rev. Faulk was very successful and his name was heard in Weeping Mary long after he had gone. Records show Dr. J.W. Faulk, Baptist Minister of Hertford united in Matrimony M.A. Littlejohn and Nellie Jones the parties licensed above, on the 23 day of January, 1905, at Salem Baptist Church in Columbia. Rev. Joseph E. Tillett (~1919-1926), (wife, Matilda) of Edenton came to Jamesville, a very young man. He was a recent college graduate (Shaw Univ.) who heard about the vacancy at the church. When he was accepted as the pastor, he and his wife mortgaged their home in Edenton and put the money on the church. He and his wife then stayed with Elder Rev. William Grant (W.G.) and Louisa Holloman while teaching in the school system and pastoring Weeping Mary. During his time the church grew spiritually and socially. In 1926 after many years at Weeping Mary he became the pastor of Cornerstone Baptist Church in Greenville. He served at Cornerstone for forty-three (43) years retiring in 1969. He was the founder of the Chowan Credit Union and the Eastern Tar River Credit Union and had an annual scholarship named for him at Shaw Divinity School in Raleigh, NC. Rev. William H. Trotman (ca. May 1, 1927-`1930) was chosen as the successor to Rev. Tillett and growth continued. Rev. Trotman would become a pastor of Woodville Plains Missionary Baptist Church, first established in Woodville and later moved to its present location in Lewiston. Rev. W. J. Moore (1930-Jan. 1, 1941) came in after Rev. Trotman and stayed several years. He baptized many new members including Ernestine Davis, Sabra Greene, et al. During his pastor-ship, he was quite active in the beautification of the church. The 1939 conference minutes show the church agreed to repay him $30.00 for paint that he had bought for the painting of the church.
Rev. Alfred R. Winborne, (wife, Ida), (Feb 1, 1941- ), who was the illustrious pastor of New Chapel Baptist Church of Plymouth, was called after Rev. Moore. He accepted the call to become pastor in February 1941. The church minutes show he excused himself from the church meeting so that he could let his New Chapel officials know he was accepting the call to Weeping Mary. He was installed as pastor in May of 1941. He was a hard worker, excellent preacher, pastor and very popular. The auxiliaries were revitalized and the growth of the church continued for many years. He accepted a call to become pastor of Chapel Hill Baptist Church at Travis on the first Sunday. The church sought the services of Rev. William H. Trotman (~1960) for a second time. This tenure was for a short time. Rev. John H. Taylor, (wife, Peggy), (1961-1979) of Greenville, N.C followed Rev. Trotman. Rev. Taylor came to the attention of a church member, when they were fellow teachers in Oak City. He was one of the several Shaw University trained ministers to pastor the church. He was a musician, a singer and good pastor. He taught the choir new songs, including, “It is Well with My Soul” among others. He has maintained contact with the church after their relocation to Florida. After Rev. Taylor, the next minister called was also from Greenville. Rev. Anton Wesley, (1980 –March 1981) a second generation preacher served well for a short period of time. The Rev. Dr. Charles Foster, (wife Ruby), (March 6, 1982-1988) was called to succeed Rev. Wesley. Rev. Foster and his lovely wife, Ruby served well. Weeping Mary was his first church and he had just begun to develop his pastor-ship when he was asked to accept a church in Elizabeth City (Holy Trinity Community Church) where they lived. He took the call and Weeping Mary was once again without a pastor. He was beloved by the congregation and community to the point where he returned to preach the funeral of a long-time member. He has remained in touch and has supported the church in its continued ministries. Rev. Foster like
many of the early ministers in the churches and Association were involved in the local community affairs and in 2005 became the mayor of Elizabeth City. Minister Joseph Thigpen, (wife, Ella), (March 6, 1988- ) of Robersonville, NC became the new Pastor On the first Sunday in January 1988, a young Evangelist. Under his leadership, the church grew spiritually and physically. The church was able to replace the church pews some of which were over one hundred years old. He and his family, especially his lovely, spirit- filled wife, Ella were a blessing to the church. He eventually returned to the area and visited the church on occasion. After his departure, Rev. Kennedy Barber, (wife, Doris), (March 4, 2001-2006) became the new pastor. He and his wife, Doris and daughter, Kristy was welcomed enthusiastically. Rev. Barber was intent on increasing the membership and outreach. He sought to bring members from outside the immediate town borders and the church secured a van to assist in this mission. Rev. Barber took on a second pastor-ship at Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church in Gum Neck. He eventually resigned from Weeping Mary and continued for a short time at Mount Pleasant. The church spent couple of years searching for its next pastor. Rev. Gregory Rodgers, (wife, Kim), (April 6, 2008- ) came to Weeping Mary Baptist along with his lovely wife, Kim and their five children. He came from a family of preachers and teachers from Creswell who were very familiar to Weeping Mary. Rev. Rodgers, his wife and children are very active in the activities of the church from Mrs. Rodgers teaching the youth to the children serving as ushers (Isaac, M’Kayla), reading of the announcements (Gabrielle), serving as hospitality hosts and liturgical dance group and solo musician (Gregory, Jr.). They are both active in community affairs as well. Licentiate and Member Ministers In addition to the pastors listed, the early minutes of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association show that several members of Weeping Mary accepted the
call of the ministry. The earliest of these ministers of record was Rev. George (Georgie) Jarvis, an ordained minister who was listed in the 1871 association minutes as the delegate for Sycamore Chapel in Jamesville. Jarvis (wife, Pheeby), a former slave and ordained elder was active at Weeping Mary Baptist and Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association until his death in 1903 at age 87. His grave headstone is located at the SW end of the church building. The 1879 Association minutes list Rev. Stephen Moore as a Licentiate minister from Jamesville. The minutes also indicate that he and Rev. Dr. George W. Lee were to preach the 3pm sermon. Dr. Lee was a delegate as well as the Pastor of Weeping Mary in 1879. In the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association’s 1884 and 1885 meetings, the Bertie Co. attendance minutes list John Boon (e), Levi Brown and E. (Esau) Johnson. They were listed as Licentiates. According to Rev. Dr. Harold Murrill, author of The History of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association (and a friend), in the early days, the pastors of the church were normally ordained ministers but other ministers of the church though not ordained, were licensed to preach by the church. These ministers were called Licentiates. Rev. James E. Johnson also served as the church treasurer in 1893. One of the earliest documented, ordained ministers of the church, Rev. William Grant (W.G.) Holloman was most active in church affairs and as a delegate, etc. to the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association. Because the church did not always have services every Sunday throughout its history, some of these early member ministers also pastored other nearby churches. In addition to Elder W.G. Holloman, these included Rev. Adam Ruff, who in 1927 was the pastor of St. John’s Baptist Church in Williams Low (Williamston) and Rev. William Henry Davis who pastored Welches Chapel in Tyner, N.C. In addition to the pastors of the church previously noted, several former members also accepted the call. They include: Rev. Hayward Hollomon, Rev. Raymond Morris, Rev. Alexander Everett, Rev. Henry Mariner, Rev. James Simmons, Rev. Bowens, Rev. Shedrick Barrow, and Rev. Byron Davis among others.
Deacons Some of the earliest documented deacons are listed in an 1890 church bible. They were Thomas Revander (Chrmn), William Smith (Treasurer), George Bowen (died 1895), John White (Steward). Following them through the 1920’s was Isiah Brown Davis and Joseph E. Everett, Charlie A. Midgett. Following them were Nathaniel Davis, Richard Bowen, Frank Mariner, Samuel Moore, Sandy Revander. Spear Keys and Stephen Morris were elected deacons according to the March 4, 1939 church minutes. Later deacons included Carey Lee Moore (1950), Daniel Morris (1950), Herbert Lee Davis, Sr. (1950) and David Mariner. Most recent are Chester Davis (1981) and Herbert L. Davis, Jr. (1998), 4th generation Weeping Mary deacons and sons of Charlie Davis, Sr. and Herbert Davis, Sr. respectively. Junior Deacons The January 4, 1941 church minutes show that Wm. Davis, Rufus Knight, Joshua Marriner, J. T. Ruff, C.L. Smith and Spencer Wynn were elected as Junior Deacons. No other documentation of Junior Deacons was seen.
Deaconesses The earliest deaconesses (1880’s-1902) would have included Grace Bowen (George), Annie Boone Davis (Isiah), Mary Jane Everett (Joseph E. Everett), Matilda Midgett (Charlie), Winnie Davis (Nathaniel), John Ann Bazemore (John R.)(~1949). Later were Marian Davis (Herbert Sr.), Alice Louis Mariner (David) and Dorothy Davis (Charlie Sr.).
Sunday School Superintendents The Sunday School was an early part of the Church. Some of the earliest Superintendents (1867-1920’s) include Deacon Isiah Brown Davis, Rev. W.G. Holloman, and Deacon Charlie Midgett. The minutes from April 1, 1917 show Sunday School was called to order by bell tap at 9:30 a.m. by Deacon Charlie A. Midgett who served as the Superintendent. The opening (pastoral hymn #66) and prayer was by Deacon Midgett with Ms. Virginia D. Price as the Secretary. Remarks were by Rev. Faulk and Bro. C.R. Leary. The total attendance for the day was 51. Deacon Joseph E. Everett was listed as superintendent as early 1925 through 1954. The 1936 S.S. minutes show Deacon J. E. Everett as the Superintendent and Bro. Linwood Knoble, Secretary. Remarks were by Miss Smith, Miss Morris and Miss McFadden. Bro. Spencer Wynn served as Asst. Supt. as a teenager (15) in the late 1940’s before going off to college. Later superintendents included Deacon Nathaniel Davis in the 50’s while Deacon Charlie Davis followed from ~1956-1989. After his death in 1989, Marian Davis assumed the Superintendent position (1991- ). Sunday School Secretaries, Teachers, Treasurers The earliest Sunday School secretary of record is Virginia Price (1916) followed by Doris McFadden (~1925),Lorraine Morris (~’31), Linwood Knoble (~’36), Mildred Davis (~’39), Catherine Knight (~`40), Louise Knight (~’46), Lois Keeys (~’48,’51), Carolyn Smith (~’53,’54’56), James Smith (~’58), Gloria Smith (~’62), Herbert L. Davis, Jr. (~’65), Bertha Mariner (~’68), Barbara Davis (~’69), Chester Davis (~’73), Brent Davis (~’78), Dorothy Davis (~’81), Kristy Barber, Marian Davis (1991-). An Oct. 7, 1977 document shows the Sunday School Treasury in the amount of $54.21 being transferred from Mrs. Winnie (Midgett) Davis (b.19001992) to Marian Davis and witnessed by Herbert L. Davis, Jr., Samuel F. Staton and James H. Davis. Other members who were active Sunday School participants as teachers or members included Nathaniel Davis (teacher), John H. Ellison, Annie (Moore) Cabarrus (teacher), Ruth (Everett) Small (teacher), Rebecca
(Everett) Keys (teacher), Johnnie Davis, Herbert L. Davis, Sr. (teacher), Alene Revander, Frank Green, Ivory Moore, Gussie Moore, Gertrude Moore and Agnes Mariner. Most recently Sunday School teachers have been Deacon Chester Davis, Deacon Herbert Davis, Jr. and Pastor Gregory Rodgers, Sr. as Adult Class teachers and First Lady Kim Rodgers as Youth Class teacher. Church Secretaries, Clerks and Treasurers The church secretaries and clerks kept the early church meetings records, gave the announcements during worship services, contacted other churches, etc. Based on the minutes of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association, we have a fairly complete list of the early church clerks (secretaries). The earliest clerk of record is George W. Reid in 1871. The clerks that followed were Preston Daniel (1879), J.C. (Joseph) Lewis (1884), J.C. Lewis (1885), Minger Alexander (1909), Henry Sheppard (1914), Nathaniel (N.D.) Davis (1915, 1916-), W.C. Moore (1917), W.H. Moore (1919), William Henry Davis (1922,1923), Raymond Morris (1924,25), Minger Alexander (1926,27). Later was Linwood Knoble (1936). Ernestine Davis recalled her father, Deacon Nathaniel Davis being the church secretary which meant she and her brothers were often at the meetings. Other secretaries and clerks were Sis. Rebecca (Everett) Keys, Carolyn Smith, Janie (Smith) Johnson, Marian Davis, Gabrielle Rodgers. Treasurers The earliest recorded church Treasurer was Rev. James E. Johnson who in 1893 took out a $1.00 bond with his wife, Julia with the trustees of Weeping Mary Baptist Church (see below). Mr. Johnson had just been elected Treasurer and the bond stated “he is desirous of securing said church from all loss on account of said treasurer-ship”. Throughout the years there have been many treasurers from church treasurer to Sunday School treasurer to choir treasurer to sick money treasurer. Some of the people who have served in these very important positions include Nathaniel Davis, Winnie Midgett Davis, Gertrude Davis Moore, Parie Lee Smith, and Eula Mariner Scott.
Trustees The trustees of the church had many duties from maintaining the church facility to making decisions of finance. The earliest documented trustees were listed in an October 1, 1893 bond (to become church treasurer) between James and Julia Johnson and the trustees of Weeping Mary Baptist. The listed trustees were William (W.C.) Cooper, Elder William Grant (W.G.) Hollomon, Spencer Wynn, Jr., George Wynn and Henry (H.E.) Ellison. The June 6, 1936 church conference elected Wilmer Gray and G.W. Buffalo to the Trustee Board. In December of 1938, Minnie Walker and Cornelia Morris were added. Other trustees who followed in the 30’s-40 have included Isaiah Smith, George Williams and Spear Keys, Jr. On January 6, 1952, trustees included George Williams, Dan Morris and J.E. Everett. The January 2, 1953 minutes list Bro. Bubber Jackson, James Midgett, George Mariner and James Mariner. Trustees elected in November 1974 included Annie Moore Cabarrus, Charles Hill, Rebecca Keeys, C.R. Leary, Jr., James Midgett and Sis. Parie Lee Smith. Most recent trustees were Agnes Mariner Dixon; Bro. Gerry Hill, following in the footsteps of his father, Charles Hill, Sr. and Eula Faye Mariner Scott following her father, James Mariner.
Usher Board The Usher Board was a very important group that provided service to the congregation and order to the service. Minutes of an early Usher Board meeting showed the ushers were given strict instructions from being prompt and on time, proper, with pressed uniforms/clothes and no chewing gum. The January 1, 1949 Usher Board minutes listed Mary Jane Everett as President along with Aline Revander, Minnie Walker, Matilda Midgett and Nancy Blount. Earlier, we mentioned usher Willie Moore, son of Deacon Carey Moore making sure
worshipers did not interrupt certain parts of the service even if it meant keeping people standing outside in the rain because there was no vestibule at the time. Some of these ushers included Christine Mariner, Bubber and Eunice Jackson, Shirley James. While the names of many of these faithful servants are lost in time, some are noted by the legacy of children and grandchildren. George and Martha Mariner were long-time ushers from the 1940’s to the 1990’s. Another long-time usher was Dorothy Davis who served around 30 years. Following in the footsteps of her parents, George and Martha Mariner has been Agnes Mariner Dixon. Most recently the children of the Pastor Gregory Rodgers, Isaac and M’Kayla Rodgers along with Alysia Davis; granddaughter of Deacon Herbert Davis, Jr. have filled the void. Choir The choirs of Weeping Mary were fortunate to have trained musicians for many years. Mr. Sandy Revander, a chorister, taught members to sight read notes before they were fully accepted as members of the choir. Other musicians and choir directors included Mr. Leonard Alexander, Mrs. Carrie (Hollomon) McFadden, Mr. Milton Armstead, Mr. Marcus Hopkins, Mrs. Doris (McFadden) Riddick, Mrs. Ruth (Everett) Small, Mrs. Evelyn Odessa (McFadden) Collins and Rev. John H. Taylor. Rev. Taylor, another Shaw University graduate and accomplished pianist brought new songs and enthusiasm to the choir during his pastor-ship. Later musicians included Sis. Marian Davis, Mrs. Wesley Stokes of Roper, Ms. Lady Basnight of Gum Neck. Some of the choir members from the earliest days included Deacon Charlie Midgett, Bro. Elijah (Losh) Midgett, Rev. William H. Davis, Bro. Walter Moore, Bro. Solomon Davis, Deacon Carey Moore, Bro. Willie Moore, Bro. Booker Staton, Sis. Octive Knoble, Sis. Estelle Leary, Sis. Penny Saunders, Sis. Mamie Saunders, Sis. Dove Pace, Sis. Blanche Alexander, Sis. Mattie Rhodes, Sis. Annie Mariner, Sis. Hattie Rhodes, Sis. Lorraine (Morris) Shields, Sis. Mary Jane Everett, Sis. Rebecca (Everett) Keys, Sis. Norma Staton, Sis. Queenie Morris, Sis.
Eula (Mariner) Scott, Sis. Annie (Moore) Cabarrus, Sis. Gertrude (Davis) Moore, Sis. Louisa Holloman, Sis Ruth (Everett) Hoffler, Sis. Pauline Atkinson, Sis. Lenora Smith, Sis. Katie Walker, Sis. Mildred (Davis) Cheatham, Sis. Ernestine (Davis) Staton, Sis. Doris (McFadden) Riddick, Bro. Johnnie Davis, Bro. Joseph McFadden, Sis. Marian (Staten) Davis, Sis. Ethel (Blount) Hopkins, Sis. Blonnie Ellison, Sis. Carolyn Keys, Bro. Ralph Keys, Sis. Octive (Knoble) Wynne Roseborough, Sis. Evelyn Odessa (McFadden) Collins, Sis. Winnie (Midgett) Davis, Sis. Van Lee Staton, Sis. Lillian Pugh and others. Throughout the history of the church, non-members have been active in the choir and other roles. Bro. Joseph McFadden (Methodist) husband of Sis. Carrie McFadden) sang in the choir; Bro. Marcus Hopkins (Methodist) was a pianist; Sis. Robena Biggs (Methodist); was a faithful choir member; Sis. Catherine Norfleet (Disciple) was a faithful choir member and Gwendolyn Biggs Davis (Methodist); wife of Deacon Herbert Davis, Jr. was a pianist for special occasions and there were others. Sextons/Janitors The earliest known sexton for the church was Deacon Isiah Brown Davis. When he died in 1923, he was followed by his son; Deacon Nathaniel Davis who took over the responsibility in the 1920’s and stayed the course for fifty years until the 1970’s. During the end of his time, he was assisted by his daughter, Mildred Cheatham and daughter-in-law, Dorothy Davis. He was so concerned about the upkeep of the church, one of his last requests was to Marian Davis (daughter –inlaw) in which he said, “Marian, please take care of the church”. Trustee Charles Hill, Sr. took over the responsibility. Most recently Marian Davis has assumed the major responsibility of church maintenance the church with assistance of her son, Deacon Herbert Davis, Jr. and others.
Women’s Missionary Circle In 1949 a group of members met to form the Women’s Missionary Circle. The minutes indicate they agreed to meet the 3rd Sunday of each month. They also elected officers; Carrie McFadden, President; Queenie Morris, Secretary; Ailene Revander, Chaplain. Others present were Blanche Alexander, Nancy Blount, Winnie Davis, Carrie Pugh and Naomi Staten. Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Delegates, et al The church has had a long association with the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association. While the Association was organized in 1866, the same year as Weeping Mary there is no record of the church acceptance into the organization at that time. The earliest documented delegate to the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association was Rev. George Jarvis (1871) and the church at the time was listed as Sycamore Chapel in Jamesville. This 1871 association meeting was held in Perquimans Co. Other early delegates include A. Everett and Rev. Dr. George W. Lee, Pastor (1879), Elder W.G. Holloman (1909-1922), J.E. Tillett (1923,1924), Rev. W.H Davis (1925-27) Isiah Brown Davis (1), Nathaniel Davis, Rebecca Keys, Herbert L. Davis, Sr. and Marian Davis. Gifts and Donations Over the years Weeping Mary Baptist Church has been the beneficiary of much support and gifts from its members including those no longer on the rolls or living in the area. Because of the lack of records of many of the early members and friends, it is not possible to know and list all of those who sacrificed not just to give money and other gifts but also their time and expertise. Odessa McFadden tells of the men of the church digging, lining and maintaining a pool for baptisms in the early 1900’s; a pool in which she was baptized. The earliest recorded gift is found in the last will and testament of George W. Bowen who on February 4, 1895, bequeathed upon his death, a parcel of land to his wife, Grace Bowen and Weeping Mary Baptist Church witnessed by Geo. M.
Burras (Justice of Peace) and J.H. Revander. The will states that upon the death of his wife, Grace, the property valued at $50.00 is to go to Weeping Mary Baptist Church “to be used as the church saw fit”. Upon the death of Mrs. Bowen in 1902, the will was probated in Superior Court on March 3, 1902 by Richard Davis, a member of Weeping Mary. That property located on Hwy 64 (now business) and next to the former Jamesville Township School became the Bowens Section cemetery. Millie Mariner apparently donated a 1934 church ledger which is unique in that the first pages show the record of members of New Bethany Church in New York where she and a number of Jamesville natives were members. The ledger then picks up the member records of Weeping Mary in 1936. Gifts in recent years have included the Communion table by Annie Moore Cabarrus and a set of hymnals in 1974; pulpit (linen) set and announcement rostrum by Herbert Davis, Sr.,Communion chairs by Rev. John H. Taylor; Bibles by Octive Knoble Wynne Roseborough in honor of her mother Fannie Knoble and grandmother, Hattie Davis; bathroom mirrors by Parie Lee Smith; audio (microphone) system by Dorothy Davis; Bibles by Ferguson Enterprises, piano by Odessa McFadden Collins, Secretary desk by Marian Davis. While these were wonderful gifts and showed their love for the church, there were others who contributed in another way; the annual Homecoming fundraiser. Members would solicit funds (usually their family members) to support the church. While most of the families did this, a couple of the larger family’s effforts stood out. The Mariners, locally and Rev. Raymond Morris of Snow Hill along with his siblings, cousins, etc. were quite loyal. Perhaps the most outstanding of all was Mrs. Rebecca Everett Keys (daughter of Deacon Joseph Everett). People looked forward to her presentation of her donors. While most people completed their list without much fanfare, Sister Keys’ was quite long and included not just family but almost everyone who she had any contact from her car dealer to the gas company to her grocery among many others. When she finished her list
which often went beyond a single page, there were more than one smile, chuckle and even applause. Such was the dedication of many of the old members. Seniors Despite the tremendous challenges of slavery and later the stresses of health, finances, etc. of segregation many of the early members lived to quite an old age. Some of these long-lived members include; Pauline C. White (1871-1968,96 yrs), Jepp Wynn (1877-1969,92 yrs),Carrie Holloman McFadden (1893-2000, 107 yrs), Winne Midgett Davis (1900-1992, 92 yrs),Odessa McFadden Collins (1914-, 99 yrs), Parie L. Smith (1917-2008, 91yrs), Mildred Davis Cheatham (1918-, ~95yrs), Rev. Raymond Morris (1908-2001, ~93 yrs) Octive (Knoble) Wynn Roseborough (1923- ~ 90 yrs),. Past and Present Members Over the years many of the senior members talked of the old days when the church membership was quite large and strong. This continued through the 1950’s and 60’s until many families, especially the younger members left for colleges, military and other opportunities not found in the area. The validation of the membership is seen in the minutes of the church Sunday School and church records as well as the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association minutes. In the 1871 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Minutes, the church is listed as having 62 members, baptized 22 new members and 3 preaching Sundays. In the 1879 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Minutes, the church is listed as having 164 members, baptized 9 new members. In 1884, the church baptized 18 accepted 7 by letter and restored 12 members. The membership was listed as 188. In 1885 there were 205 members.
In the 1909 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Minutes, the church is listed as having 180 members, baptized 15 new members. In the 1912 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Minutes, the church is listed as having 203 members, baptized 12 new members and 15 excommunicated. In the 1913 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Minutes, the church is listed as having 171 members. In the 1915 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Minutes, the church is listed as having 148 members, baptized 9 new members and 3 preaching Sundays. In 1916, there were 50 baptisms and 185 members and 75 Sunday School members. In the 1917 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Minutes, the church is listed as having 104 members. In the 1919 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Minutes, the church is listed as having 267 members and having 2 baptisms. In the 1927 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association Minutes, the church is listed as having 96 members. As late as 1942, the church roll lists 127 members (56 Brothers and 71 Sisters). 1866-1900 Some of the earliest documented members include Matilda Sanders, (born January 20, 1815, died June 20, 1890) and was a documented and founding member of church in 1866; Rev. George Jarvis, was born ~1816, died August 20, 1903 and was a documented founding member of the church; Julia Johnson, was born 1848, died Oct. 2, 1921 and was a documented 50 year member. Other early members include George W. Reid listed as the 1871 Church (Sycamore Chapel) clerk. William (W.C.) Cooper, Elder William Grant (W.G.) Holloman, Spencer Wynn Jr., George Wynn and H.E. Ellison were listed as 1893 trustees.
Members (Burial) FOUNDING MEMBER * “A” William “Frank” Adkinson (?) Pernella Daniel Adkinson (?) James Adkinson (?) Pauline Adkinson (?) George Alexander (Bowens Cemetery ‘1918) & Mary Alexander (Bowens ‘1933) Charles Alexander (?) Bro. Minger Alexander (Bowens ‘1934) Blanche Alexander (WMB ‘1962) Leonard Mixon Alexander (Kinston ‘1962) Lucille Alexander (Weeping Mary Baptist Church Cemetery ‘1968) Nancy Jane Alexander Blount (WMB ‘1967) George Harrell Alexander (?) Ethel Hopkins (WMB ‘2008) Lenora S. Alston (WMB ‘1942) “Lonnie” Frank Armstrong (?) & Savannah Bailey Armstrong Gore (?) Thelma Louisa Armstrong (?) Jesse Atkins (?) & Mary Jane Carney Atkins (WMB ‘1968) John Austin (WMB ‘1964) & Minnie Austin (WMB ’19--) Lenora S. Austin (WMB ‘1943)
“B” Henry Bailey (? <1910) & Harriett Louisa Gray Bailey Augustus “Gus” Bailey (WMB ~’1920’s) & Servilla “Will” Davis Bailey (Bowens ‘1948) Ernest Bailey (WMB ‘1943) John T. Bailey (WMB ‘1938) Hestella Bailey (WMB ‘1907) Millie J. Bailey (WMB ‘1888?) Louisa Barnes or Bonds (WMB ‘1937) Ephrew “Effie” Barnes or Bonds (WMB ‘1938) John R. Bazemore (?) & (Johnanna Jordan Collins “Bazemore”) (WMB ‘1958) Kit Bell (? Between 1900-1910) and Mourning Bell (?) Ludie Bell (?) Columbus Bell (?) Nancy Jane Alexander Blount (WMB ‘1967) Ethel Hopkins (WMB ‘2008) Robert Bonds (Cedar Landing Bapt. ‘1966) John Boon (e) (?) & Martha Boone (WMB ‘1911) Annie Boon (e) Davis (WMB’1903) Isabella Boon (e) Gray (WMB ‘) Rev. George Bowens (WMB ‘1890’s) & Grace Bowens (WMB ‘1902)
Stanley Bowens (WMB/Bowens? ‘1937) & Alice Bowens (WMB ‘1941) Richard Bowens (WMB ‘1965) & Mary Frances Williams Bowens (Girl) Bowens (Bowens 1939) Levi Brown (1884, 1885 Roanoke Association Licientate) & Lydia Brown (?) George W. Buffalo, Jr. (WMB ‘1941) William Buffalo (?) Nicey Midgett Buffaloe (WMB ‘1975) Patti Bumpass/Bumpus (WMB ‘1922) & Bro. Spans or Sprat/Bumpass/Bumpus (WMB ‘1935) “C” William H. Carney (WMB ‘1937) Annie Marie Moore Cabarrus (Jamesville Town Cemetery ‘1989) John R. Collins (WMB ‘1936) & (Johnanna Jordan Collins “Bazemore”) (WMB ‘1958) William (WC) Cooper (Bowens/WMB ‘1914) & Courtney Sheppard Cooper John Thomas Cooper (WMB ‘1916) & Mittie Cooper (?) Yvonne Cordon Rudolph – “D” Preston Daniel(s) (<’1910) & Ellen Mann Daniel(s) (Home Cemetery ‘1924) Catherine Daniel Revander (?) & Andrew Revander (?) Pernella Daniel Adkinson & William “Frank” Adkinson (?)
Walter A. Daniels (?) & Millie Barrow & Eliza Boone Irene Daniel Bailey (?) & Isiah A. Bailey (?) Abram Daniels (Jamesville ‘1972) Charlie Daniels (Bowens ‘1974) Fannie Noble Daniels (WMB ‘1969) Hazel Daniels (?) Ms. Leander M. Daniels (WMB ‘1938) Leroy “Frank” Daniels (Jamesville ‘1969) Mamie Daniels (Rhodes ’19--) Isiah Brown Davis (WMB ‘1923) & Annie M. Boone Davis (WMB ‘1903) & Hattie Bailey Davis (WMB ‘1938) Eva Davis Cordon (WMB ‘1920) Gertrude Davis Moore (WMB ‘1969) Frank Davis (WMB 19??) William Henry Davis (WMB ‘1893) Isaiah Davis (wooden marker) (WMB ‘ Martha Ann Davis (WMB ‘1902) William Henry Davis (Edenton ‘1985) & Lessie Davis (Edenton ‘1986) King “Solomon” Davis (Bowens ‘1982) & Eva Virginia White Davis (Bowens ’1980) Nathaniel D. Davis (WMB ‘1977) & Winnie Midgett Davis (WMB ‘1992)
Mildred Davis Cheatham William Nathaniel Davis (WMB ‘1987) Johnnie R. Davis (WMB ‘1958) Herbert Lee Davis, Sr. (Jamesville Town Cemetery ‘1977) & Marian Staton Davis – James Hilton Davis Herbert Lee Davis, Jr. – Tonya Michelle Davis Hall – Rev. Byron Lamont Davis Eric Maurice Davis – Charlie Edward Davis, Sr. (WMB ‘1989) & Dorothy L. Whitaker Davis (Jamesville Town Cemetery ‘2012) Charlie Edward Davis, Jr. Barbara Davis Broadaway Brent Nathaniel Davis (WMB ‘1992) Chester Earl Davis – Ernestine Davis Cordon Staten – Yvonne Cordon Rudolph Yolanda Staten Richard Davis (WMB early 1900’s) “E”
William “Henry” Ellison (WMB ‘1944) & Aileen Spruill Ellison (WMB ‘1941) Blonzena “Blonnie” Ellison (? ‘1952) James Henry Ellison (New Bern ‘1989) John Ellison (?) Mary Emily Ellison Sills (WMB ‘1968) Joseph E. Everett (WMB ‘1958) & Lena Rhodes Everett (?) Mary Jane Blount Everett (?) Norene Everett Washington (Rhodes Cemetery ‘1975) Alexander “Zane” Everett (Baltimore ‘?) Rebecca Everett Keys (WMB ‘1985) Ruth Everett Hoffler (NY ‘2002) Joseph Everett (?) “F” Angelette “Annie” Frazier WMB ‘1950) Hattie Willis Frazier (WMB‘1945) Kenneth Frazier WMB ‘1949) “G” Reginald Goddard – Charles Gray (WMB/Bowens ‘?) & Hattie Gray (Bowens ‘1910) Thomas Gray, Sr. (WMB/Bowens ‘~1930) & Emeline “Emma” Green Gray (WMB ‘1960)
Henry Gray (WMB ’1941) Penny Gray Leary (Bowens ‘1948) Thomas Gray (?) & Mary Ann “Mollie” Gray (WMB ‘1911) Bulah R. Gray (WMB ‘1910) Wilmer Gray (WMB ‘1938) Louis Richard “Dick” Gray (WMB ‘1967) & Ella Gray (WMB ‘1959) Ida Gray Hill (?) & Moses Hill (Bowens ‘1942) George Green (?) John Green (WMB/Bowens ‘?) “Emma” Waters Green (WMB/Bowens ‘1921) Emeline “Emma” Green Gray (WMB ‘1960) Frank Green (Bowens ‘1976) Sabra Green “H” Sis. Carnice W. Hardison (?) J.F. Harrison Moses Hill (Bowens ‘1942) & Ida Gray Hill (?) Charles Hill, Sr. (Jamesville Cemetery ‘2010) Charles Hill, Jr. – Gerry Hill Elder William Grant Holloman (WMB ‘1924) & Louisa Leary Holloman (WMB ‘1927)
Carrie Holloman McFadden 107 yrs (WMB ‘2000) Rev. Haywood P. Holloman (WMB ‘1974) Ethel Hopkins (WMB ‘2008) “J” Bubber Jackson (WMB ‘1970) & Eunice Jackson (WMB ‘2001) Stephen Jackson (WMB ‘1973) Emma Jackson (Bowens ’1949) Mary Sue Speller (?) King Hyman Jackson (?) Shirley Nichols James (Mt. Carmel ‘2013) Jesse Lee James Bobby James William McCoy James (?) Rev. George Jarvis (WMB ‘1903) * FOUNDING MEMBER & Pheeby Jarvis (?) Mary J. Jefferson (WMB ‘1938) Eliza Boone Daniels (?) & Walter A. Daniels (?) Rev. James E. Johnson (?) & Julia A. Johnson (WMB ‘1921) * 50 year member Rev. Esau J. Johnson (WMB ‘1921) & Julia A. Johnson (WMB ‘1921) * 50 year member James H. Johnson (Land Cemetery ‘1953) Mary J. Land Johnson (WMB ‘1944) Walter Alex Jones, Jr. (Williamston Andrews ‘1982)
“K” Anne Keys Williams ((WMB ‘1961) George W. Keys (Bowens ’46) & Leda Keys (?) Addie E. Keys (?) Caroline Keys Shirley Charlie Keys (?) Ralph Keys (?) Norene Keys Washington (WMB ‘1975) Spear Keys, Jr. (WMB/Bowens? ‘1956) Lois Keys (?) Martha Knight (?) Mary Bell Knight (?) Rufus Knight (WMB ‘1959) & Thelia Brown Knight (WMB ‘1988) Catherine Knight Pierce (‘1997) Edward L. Knight (WMB ‘1988) Haywood Knight (?) Jasper Knight Louise Knight – Roosevelt Knight (WMB ‘1949) Ruth Knight (?)
Mack (K)noble (NY?) & Mamie Bailey Noble (WMB/Bowens? ~ 1911-1913) & Fannie Bailey Noble (WMB ‘1974) Gilbert Nobel (Mamie) (?) Betty Noble (Mamie) (?) Sue Ann V. Noble (WMB ‘1911) (Mamie) Donald Noble (?) Linwood Noble (?) Octavia “Octive” Noble Wynn Roseborough Thelma Noble (?) “L” Carves Robert Leary (WMB ‘1930) & Virginia Leary (?) Adline Mullen Leary (WMB ‘1947) Hattie Leary Williams (?) Penny Leary Saunders (Bowens ‘1925) Estelle Leary Willis Archie (WMB ‘1978) Alexander Leary (?) Wiliam Henry Leary (?) Carves Robert “CR” Leary (WMB ‘1994) & Queenie Moore Leary Morris (WMB ‘1980) & (Sally Leary ‘?) & Christabel Leary (Keys ‘? William Henry Leary Lettice Leary Barnes – Adline Leary -
John Leary (WMB ‘?) & Penny Gray Leary (Bowens ‘1948) Joseph Leary (?) Blanche Lewis (?) Joseph (J. C.) Lewis (1885 Roanoke Assn Delegate) (?) & Nancy Womble Lewis (?) Amanda Womble (Bertie ‘1930) Roxanna Lewis (?) Ms. Vancy L. Lewis (WMB ‘1933) Jerry Luke (?) “M” Louis H. Mariner (WMB ‘1921) & Jane Mariner (WMB ‘1928) Louis Augustus Mariner (Bowens ‘1980) & Millie Mariner (WMB ’19--) Alice “Pearl” Mariner (WMB ‘2000) Andrew Jackson Mariner (WMB ‘1997) & Christine Mariner (WMB ‘1989) Jennie Mariner (?) William Augustus Mariner, Jr. (?) Chester Mariner (WMB ‘1948) Joshua Mariner (WMB ‘1945) James E. Marriner Sr. (WMB ‘1992) & Lenora Marriner (WMB ‘1992) James E. Marriner Jr. Eula Faye Mariner Scott Lenora Marriner Worsley –
Bertha Marriner Harris – Ann Mariner (?) Annie Marie Mariner (?) Frank Mariner (?) & Ella Morris Rev. Henry Mariner & Annie Morris Mariner George Frank Mariner (WMB ‘1974) & Martha Bowen Mariner (WMB ‘1990) Violet Sue Mariner (?) David S. Mariner (WMB ‘1987) Wallace Mariner (? ‘2013) Agnes Mariner Dixon Mildred H. Mariner Vick (WMB ‘1974) Paul Mariner (?) Samuel A. Marriner (?) William R. Marriner (?) Carrie Holloman McFadden 107 yrs (WMB ‘2000) Doris McFadden Riddick (?) Odessa McFadden Collins (1914–) Charlie Midgett (WMB ‘1924) & Matilda Davis Midgette (WMB ‘1957) Charles Frank Midgett (WMB ‘1971) Elijah Midgett (WMB ‘1972) & Lula (Luna) Baxter Midgett (NY ’19??)
Eva Midgett White (Flint MI ’19??) Israel Midgett (WMB ‘1922) & Josephine Waters Midgett (?) & Christianna Knight Keys (Bowens ‘1932) Jake Midgett (?) John R. Midgette (WMB ‘1958) Nicey Midgett Buffaloe (WMB ‘1975) Pearlie Mae Midgett Cheatham (?) James E. Midgett (WMB ‘1989) & Addie Frances Stancil Midgett (nonmember) & Zenner Nichols Midgett (97yrs) (WMB ‘1999) non-member Carol Midgett – Vickie Midgett – James Midgett Jr – Sandra Midgett – Rhonda Midgette Calvin Moore (WMB/Bowens ‘1932) Charlie M. Moore (WMB ‘1938) Faust Moore (?) John “Lee” Ennis Moore (WMB ‘1956) & Gertrude Davis Moore (WMB ‘1969) Annie Marie Moore Cabarrus (Jamesville Town Cemetery ‘1989) Carey Lee Moore (WMB ‘1974) Willie E. Moore –
Ruby J. Moore (?) Gertie Moore Troupe (WMB ‘2001) Mary Moore (?) Samuel E. Moore (WMB ‘1949) & Amanda “Manda” Moore (WMB ‘1959) Clarence Moore (?) Charlie Moore (?) Ivory Moore (?) Gus “Gussie” Moore (?) George Moore (?) Queenie Moore Leary Morris (WMB ‘1980) Rev. Stephen Moore (?) 1879 Roanoke Missionary Bapt. Association Licentiate Jamesville Thomas Moore (WMB ‘1949) Walter Moore (?) William C. Moore (?) Stephen Morris (WMB ‘1938) & Cornelia Bazemore Morris (Brooklyn ‘1967) Annie Morris MarinerDaniel Morris (WMB ‘1968) & Queenie Moore Leary Morris (WMB ‘1980) George Morris (?) John S. Morris (?) Lenora Morris (?)
Lorraine “Edith” Morris Shields (Scotland Neck ‘1983) Mattie Morris Rhodes(?) & Matthew Rhodes Pete Rhodes (?) Samuel Morris (?) Rev. Raymond Morris (Snow Hill ‘2001)
“N” Mack Noble (NY?) & Mamie Bailey Noble (WMB/Bowens? ~ 1911-1913) & Fannie Bailey Noble (WMB ‘1974) Gilbert Nobel (Mamie)? Betty Noble Midgett (Mamie) (NY?) Sue Ann V. Noble (WMB ‘1911) (Mamie) Donald Noble (?) Linwood Noble (?) Octavia “Octive” Noble Wynn Roseborough & George Wynn (WMB?) Baby Wynn (WMB ‘) Thelma Noble (?) “P” Dave “Kemp” Price (WMB <‘1910) & Hester Price (~‘) Junius L. Price (?) Lansbury Price (?)
Virginia Dare Price Batchelor (?) Carrie Pugh (?) Charles Henry Pugh (?) John Thomas Pugh (?) Lillian Pugh (?) William S. Pugh (?) “Q” Elizabeth (Beth) Quinley (WMB ~‘1946)
“R” Otelia Rascoe (WMB ‘1953) George W. Reid (Clerk, WMB late 1800’s) Roosevelt Reddick (? ‘1922) Antilia Respass (?) John Henry Revander (Bowens ‘1936) & Christiana Knight Keys Midgett Revander (?) & Eleanor “Ailene” Ellison Revander (WMB ’1960) Lloyd Revander (Bowens ‘1934) & Martha Price Revander William Andrew Revander (?) & Maggie Price Revander (?) George Henry Revander & Nora Revander Bro. Sandy C. Revander (Bowens ‘1909) & Georgeanna Hassell Revander (Home ‘1924) & Christana Knight Keys Midgett Revander (Bowens ‘1932)
Thomas Andrew Revander (WMB ‘1938) & Maria Revander & Rachel Buffalo Revander Andrew Revander (?) & Catherine Daniel Revander (WMB/Bowens ‘1914) James H. Rhodes (?) James W. Rhodes (?) Walter Rhodes (?1949) Norma Staton Rhodes (?) Matthew Rhodes & Mattie Morris Rhodes (?) Pete Rhodes (?) Hattie Rhodes (?) Senora “Nora” Rice (? ’1940) Donald Roberts (?) & Elmarie Roberts (?) Rev. Adam Ruff (WMB/Bowens ~1940) & Betty Ruff (WMB/Bowens ~1943) Loretta Ruff Gray (Mt. Carmel?) R.T. Ruff (?) Clara Belle Moore (?) S” Matilda Sanders (WMB ‘1890) * FOUNDING MEMBER James Sanders (?) Mamie Saunders (?) Penny Leary Saunders (Bowens ‘1925)
Henry Sheppard (?) & Malinda Sheppard (?) Courtney Sheppard Cooper (?) & William Cooper (Bowens/WMB ‘1914) George Sheppard (Bowens/WMB ‘1921) Rev. James Simmons (?) Thelma Simmons (?) Anita Smith (?) Isaiah Smith (WMB ‘1949) unmarked & Parie Lee Smith (WMB ‘2008) Carolyn Smith Cheryl Smith Polite – Clara Smith ( ) David Smith Gladys Smith Green – Gloria D. Smith (WMB ‘1999) James Smith Janie Smith Johnson – Jack Smith (?) C.L. Smith? Iola Smith (?) John Smith (WMB ‘1948) and Erma Lee Smith Shirley Smith (?) Addie Smith (?)
Asverna Smith (?) Dorothy Smith (?) Ella Mae Smith (?) Ernestine Smith (?) Langston Smith (?) Lenora Smith (?) Jean Smith (?) John H. Smith (?) Katie Smith (?) Vernita Smith (?) King Alfred Smith (WMB ‘1948) & Ola Gray Smith (Godard Hill ‘1971) Stephen Staton (Mt. Carmel) Jane Ann Staton Willis Norfleet (Mt. Carmel ‘1960) Hattie Willis Frazier (WMB‘1945) Eva Jane Willis (?) Winnie Willis (Mt. Carmel)? William D. Staton (Bowens ‘1925) & Mosella Waters Staton & Naomi Staton (WMB ‘1956) or “Staten” Sister Odell Staton Stephen “Steven” Staton Van Lee Staton
Beatrice Staton Booker T. Staton Talmadge Staton William Sykes (WMB ‘1947) & Alice Williams Sykes (WMB ‘1944) “W” David Walker (WMB/Bowens?) & Carrie Walker (WMB ‘1949) & Minnie Walker Eddie Mount Walker (?) Ethel Walker (?) Henry Walker (?) Isaac Walker (?) John Reuben Walker (?) Joe Walker (?) Louis Walker (?) Phillip Walker (?) Washington Walker (?) Katie Walker (?) Susanna Watson (?) Charles White (Bowens ‘1946) John (J.W. White) (? 1885 Roanoke Missionary Baptist Assn. Delegate) Pauline C. White (Hood Temple) Charles White (Jamesville Town Cemetery ’1987)
Ida White (WMB ‘1987) Frank White (Bowens ‘1971) Eva Virginia White Davis (Bowens ’1980)
George Williams (WMB ‘1952) & Laura Moore Williams (WMB ‘1953) Charlie Williams (Williams Cemetery ’1984) Clavon Williams (?) George “Jack” Williams (?) Hattie Bell Williams Duggins (WMB ‘1944) Mable D. Williams (?) Mary Williams (WMB ‘1936) Bessie Lee Williams (WMB ’1947) James Hilton Davis Jane Ann Staton Willis Norfleet (Mt. Carmel ‘1960) Hattie Willis Frazier (WMB‘1945) Eva Jane Willis (?) Winnie Willis (Mt. Carmel)? Jordan D. Winston (WMB ‘1924) & Rose Winston (WMB ‘1944) Jerry Winston (WMB ‘1944) William Henry Winston (?) & Mamie E. Riddick Winston (? ~’1930’s) George Wynn (WMB?) & Octavia “Octive” Noble Wynn Baby Wynn (WMB ‘)
Spencer W. Wynn, Jr. (?) & Marina Ausbon Wynn William Augustus “Gus” Bailey (WMB/Bowens ~’1920’s) & Servilla Davis “Will” Bailey (Bowens ‘1948) Lillian Bailey Wynn (Bowens ‘1942) (Boy) Oniver Lee Wynn (Bowens ‘1933) Muriel Wynn (?) Ruth Hilda Wynn Gregory (Brown Hill-Greenville NC 1983) Spencer Augustus Wynn – Joseph R. Wynn (?) Jeff “Jepp” Wynn (Bowens ‘1969) & Mary “May” Ellison Wynn (WMB ‘1976) Ida Wynn Barnard (Maplewood-Greensboro ‘1993) John Henry Wynn (Roland Church, Franklin Co. ‘1987) Raymond Wynn, Sr. (Bowens ‘1973) & Mattie Boston Wynn (? Washington ‘1999) Raymond Wynn, Jr. (Bowens ‘1990) Ruth Mae Wynn Cole (WMB ‘1991) Dorothy Lee Wynn (?) Mattie Wynn (?)
“Y” Ernestine Yarber (?)
The Community Church Weeping Mary Baptist was established in 1866 and eventually grew to over 200 members. According to various records, Hood Temple AMEZ was started a little later in 1867. Mt. Carmel Disciples of Christ was started later. Even though the early churches were quite strict in their denominational rituals and practices, from the earliest times it seems the churches have been connected by family as well as community activities. It was not unusual to see split families, where some of the children followed the mother to her home church while some of the children followed the father to his home church. Some of these family examples include the Bailey-Wynns, Willis-Norfleets, Statons, Williamses, and others. William Henry Wynn (apparently following his mother, Marina Ausbon) and some of his children were Methodists while other children were at Weeping Mary Baptist with his wife, Lillian and her parents the Baileys. Interestingly, William Henry’s father, Spencer Wynn, Jr. was a trustee at Weeping Mary in the 1890’s. Jane Ann Willis and daughter, Eva left Weeping Mary in 1938, to join Mt. Carmel following her father, Stephen Staton who had been a member of Weeping Mary as well. Jane Ann later married Rev. William Norfleet of Mt. Carmel Disciples of Christ Church. This closeness of the various churches continues to this day with each church supporting the others in programs, choirs, etc. due to their history and ties as well as the small congregations. As has been the case for most of the churches existence, each church has services on a particular Sunday(s); Weeping Mary Baptist on the first Sunday (and 4th); the Hood Temple Methodist on second Sunday (and 4th) and Mt. Carmel Disciples of Christ on third Sunday (and 4th). It was said that when the local school burned, the children spent some time going to Weeping Mary which was on the neighboring lot. During the period of Jim Crow and segregation of theaters in the 1950’s, the church showed the original “The Jackie Robinson Story”. Later in the 1960’s, Gordon Frinks, a regional civil
rights leader held a meeting at the church to discuss the movement and seek support from the community. Weeping Mary Missionary Baptist Cemeteries Weeping Mary Baptist Church has two cemeteries. One is located on the main church grounds 1072 Water Street in Jamesville while the other (Bowen) is located 1-2 miles away on Old Business US Hwy 64 next to the former Jamesville Township School. The church cemetery on Water Street has many graves but many of them no longer have markers or the headstones are broken and/or unreadable. Some of the earliest markers in the cemetery are Millie Bailey (1889), Martha Ann Davis (1902), Annie Boone Davis (1903), and George Jarvis (1903) though we know some of the unmarked graves are older. Some of the unmarked graves are Matilda Sanders (1890), Julia Johnson (1920) Isiah Brown Davis (1923). There are two wooden markers still present in the cemetery. One is Isaiah Davis (~1890), son of Isiah Brown Davis and another that no longer bears a readable epitaph. One of the most unique headstones in the cemetery belongs to William Henry Davis, son of Isiah Brown Davis. He was sixteen (16) at the time of his death. His marble headstone indicates his participation in the Youth Group of the Grand United Order of Brothers and Sisters of Love and Charity. The 1916 Report of the Insurance Commissioner, Volume 1, By North Carolina Dept. of Insurance shows this fraternal group, paid almost $6,400.00 in death claims. Interestingly, the President of the Organization was J.W. Faulk who was the pastor of Weeping Mary Baptist Church, a further indication of the community involvement of church ministers in the civic and social lives of the community. The second is the Bowen’s Cemetery. The land for this cemetery was donated by George W. Bowen. It is located on Hwy 64 (bounded by the former Jamesville
Township School and former Carrie Pugh lot). On February 4, 1895, Deacon Bowen bequeathed upon his death, a parcel of land to his wife, Grace Bowen and Weeping Mary Baptist Church witnessed by Geo. M. Burras (Justice of Peace) and J.H. Revander. The will states that upon the death of his wife, Grace, the property valued at $50.00 is to go to Weeping Mary Baptist Church “to be used as the church saw fit”. Upon the death of Mrs. Bowen, the will was probated in Superior Court on March 3, 1902 by Richard Davis, a member of Weeping Mary. That property located on Hwy 64 (now business) and next to the former Jamesville Township School became Weeping Mary’s Bowen cemetery. Upon her death in 1902, the will was probated and the church created a cemetery on the land. The cemetery contains rows upon rows of graves, most of them no longer identifiable as the markers have long since gone away. The oldest marked grave is Hattie Gray (1830-1910). Some of the other early marked graves include Will (W.D.) Staton (1925), Charles White (1946),…… The unmarked graves are numerous but some that are known to be there based on burial records include Servilla (Miss Will) Bailey (1948), Lillian Bailey Wynne (1942), Honored (Oniver) Wynne (?) and Moses Hill (1942). Other members are buried locally at the Jamesville Town Cemetery including Herbert Davis, Sr. who was the first African-American buried in the cemetery (1977). Other members buried in the Town Cemetery include Charles White, Annie Moore Cabarrus, Charles Hill, Dorothy Davis,……. Present and Future There are regular news stories of across the country about attendance declining while people still profess some measure of faith. This is seen in the cities, small and rural churches. The current membership of Weeping Mary like many is composed of a very small and aging membership. It is very dependent on its community family, former members and sister churches of the Albemarle Union of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association to keep a vibrant program. This is
not unlike most of the neighboring churches. It is impossible to predict the future of the church in 2013 much like it is almost impossible to predict anything in the current environment. Many predictions about the continuance of organizations have proved folly. One prediction that is safe is this documented history of the church and its members will ensure Weeping Mary will live on as long as there is recorded history.
Rev. Abram Mebane 1st Pastor - 1866
Rev. Dr. George Wellington Lee 3rd Pastor 1880’s
1890 Obituary of Matilda Sanders
Matilda Sanders was born January the 20 1815 and dyed June 20 1890 l Living to be 75 years of age. She dyed a Christian l been a member of this church ever since it was organized 1866 l member 24 years l about 24 years never had any Trouble with her and ?the church up to this Day 21 of June 1890.
1942 Roll of Brothers and Sisters of Weeping Mary Baptist Church Jamesville, NC
Minutes of the ... Annual Session of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association. North Carolina?: The Association, 1800. Whitted, J A. A History of the Negro Baptists of North Carolina. Raleigh: Edwards & Broughton Print. Co, 1908. Williams, M W, and George W. Watkins. Who's Who Among North Carolina Negro Baptists: With a Brief History of Negro Baptist Organizations. S.l: s.n., 1940. African-american Baptist Annual Reports, North Carolina, 1865-1990. Rochester, N.Y: American Baptist-Samuel Colgate Historical Library, 1997. Boone, Linwood M. D. Chronological History of the Roanoke Missionary Baptist Association and Its Founders from 1866. S.l.: Authorhouse, 2012. St. Luke Guide to African American History in Bertie County - contains two interesting essays on the historic African American Churches and their development by Alice Eley Jones (African American History Consultant, Durham, NC.) and Benjamin Speller(Dean, NC Cen Univ, Durham
Pastors of Weeping Mary Baptist Missionary Church – Jamesville, NC 1866-2013
Abram Mebane 1st Pastor
George W. Lee - 3rd
Carey Miles (C.M.) Cartwright – 7th
W.A. Taylor – 8th
Rubin Ralph (R.R.)Cartwright – 9th
John W. Faulk – 10th
Joseph E. (J.E.) Tillett – 11th
Alfred R. Winborne – 14th
John H. Taylor – 16th
Anton Wesley – 17th
Charles L. Foster – 18th
Joseph Thigpen – 19th
Kennedy Barber – 20th
Gregory Rodgers – 21st
Rev. J. W. Faulk (lower right)
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.