You are on page 1of 4

Application for an Australian Passport

Adult: N O T E S
A P P O in T M E n T S
Only certain applicants should lodge their forms at a passport office in Australia.
■ Appointments are

Who can apply for an Australian passport? Who should use this form to apply?

All Australian citizens can apply—if you have any questions or doubts about your Australian citizenship, call the Department of Immigration and Citizenship on 131 880.

Use this form if: ■ you are 18 years of age or over, or ■ you are under 18 years of age and are currently or previously married,
and have your marriage certificate to bring to your passport interview.

■ See notes on page 4.

Do NOT use this form if: ■ you are renewing your adult Australian passport—check the requirements on page 2 to see whether
you can renew your current passport more quickly using a renewal form, or Passport: Child form, available from Australia Post passport interview outlets. If you are aged 75 years or over: You have the option to use this form to apply for a senior s passport (with five years validity) for a lower fee. If you need your passport in a hurry: The Australian Passport Office is committed to issuing a travel document within ten working days. This timeframe excludes the time taken for the passport office to receive the application (from the Australia Post passport interview outlet) and the time taken to deliver the document from the passport office to the applicant. If you need to travel urgently, ask about our Priority Processing Service (two working days turnaround from when all documentation is received). An additional fee applies.
■ you are under 18 years of age and have never been married—use the Application for an Australian

Protect your identity
Lost or stolen passports cause inconvenience and may be used by others to assume your identity for illegal activities.

Your checklist
The following things will help you complete the form correctly, speed up your application and minimise our requests for further information:

Keep your passport safe at all times.

Completing your form

Use BLACK INK and print within the boxes in



Australian Passport Information Service

If you are not required to give information in some parts of the form, leave the boxes blank do not mark or cross them out. Make sure you choose an appropriate guarantor to endorse your photograph and complete section 11 of the form. Please read the criteria for a guarantor on page 3.

131 232
If you have any questions about this form or about how to get an Australian passport, or if you wish to comment about our service, offer suggestions for improvement, or register a complaint, you may telephone us on 131 232 (from anywhere in Australia), visit our website at:, or write to the following address: Director, Passport Operations Section Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade R.G. Casey Building John McEwen Crescent Barton ACT 0221

Lodging your form
Lodge your application form and all supporting documents in person at an Australia Post outlet. In certain circumstances (see page 4), you must lodge at a passport office (by appointment only). Check the passports website at or call 131 318 to find the nearest Australia Post outlet that will accept your passport application. You may need to ring Australia Post for an appointment.

Bring to your passport interview
Your completed application form (with section 11 completed by your guarantor).
The application fee. Phone 131 232 for current fees. Preferred payment methods are EFTPOS, Mastercard, Visa or cash (cheques are not accepted). Proof of your Australian citizenship (see page 2). Proof of your identity (see page 2). Name change documents (see page 2). Two new colour photographs, with one signed as a true photo of you by your guarantor (see page 3). Any current Australian travel document you have.

Check before travelling
Visit the Department s website at to view the latest travel advice.
Online Form PC1_0812

You must provide original documents (and photocopies)

This passport will be cancelled regardless of any remaining validity. What citizenship and identity documents will you need to provide with your application? When you apply for an Australian passport. and ■ was issued in your current name. or a letter from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship stating that your birth abroad has been registered). divorce or the death of your spouse. Deaths and Marriages (RBDM). citizenship certificate). may be issued free of charge if your application is lodged within 12 months of the event (a priority processing fee may still apply). If the passport has valid visas that you wish to continue using. you should include the most recent name change on the form along with RBDM-issued documents supporting the name change and bring originals (and photocopies) of other documents that explain all other name changes you have had since birth (or since obtaining Australian citizenship). and your passport was valid when the event leading to this change occurred. If you choose this combination to confirm your identity. Phone 131 232 or visit the passports website: www. If you qualify for a passport renewal form. revised birth certificate or a marriage certificate that has been issued by the Registrar of Births. and One official document that includes your photograph. Marriage certificates that have not been issued by a RBDM are not acceptable as proof of your name change. …there may be a simpler way to apply for your new passport. You will need to bring your previous passport to your interview. Online Form PC1_0812 . ■ ■ Category B Medicare card Centrelink card Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) card Credit card or account card Issued by a financial institution in Australia Combination 2 (if you cannot provide combination 1) Two documents from category B.2 Notes for completing the form Are you renewing an Australian passport? You may be able to use a renewal form if you are an Australian citizen aged 18 years: ■ have a passport that was valid for at least two years when issued. NotE: If none of these documents shows your current address. telephone. you will also need one document from category C that shows your current address. NotE: If neither of these documents shows your current address. an extract from the register of Australian births abroad. your application may take longer to process. Deaths and Marriages (this is not a birth certificate) Combination 1 two documents One document from category A. you must also provide one parent’s full Australian birth certificate. If you are providing your Australian birth certificate: ■ Birth extracts and commemorative certificates are not acceptable. ■ Bank statements showing your residential address If you have changed your name additional documents may be required If the name you wish to appear in your passport is different (or anglicised) from the name on your birth certificate or citizenship certificate. and quote your previous passport number. Names included in an overseas marriage certificate cannot be used in a passport unless supported by a RBDM name change certificate. OR AND additional original documents that support your identity. you will also need one document from category C that shows your current address. your proof of citizenship must also include evidence that one parent was either an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia at the time of your birth (see the notes on the right). notE: These documents must be no more than 12 months you must provide an original (and a photocopy) of your change of name certificate. Original documents (and photocopies) to confirm your Australian citizenship and identity A full Australian birth certificate. marriage. electricity or gas bill showing your residential address Combination 3 (if you cannot provide all the documents for combination 1 or combination 2) At least three documents from category C that show your name and current address. and One document from category B. and If your Australian citizenship document does not show sex or place and country of birth you must also present your birth certificate (with an official English translation where necessary). You may need to ring ahead for an appointment. Australian citizenship certificate (or an extract from the register of citizenship by descent. your replacement passport.g. date of birth and sex. with the same expiry date as the passport being replaced. ■ If you were born on or after 20 August 1986. If this is not possible you must present your foreign passport (and photocopy of the page confirming your personal details). If you are divorced and have resumed your registered name before the marriage. you must provide original documents (and photocopies) from the list on the right that confirms your Australian citizenship and identity. Australian citizenship certificate or Australian permanent resident status that was valid at the time of your birth. ■ ■ Category C Motor vehicle registration or insurance papers Property rates notice Property lease agreement Home insurance papers Utilities bills and If you were born on or after 20 August 1986. If you are providing your Australian citizenship certificate: ■ If your Australian citizenship certificate does not show sex or place and country of birth. You will need to provide one of the following three combinations of documents to support your identity: Category A Current driving licence Issued by an Australian state or territory Birth card Issued by the NSW Registry of Births. Australian passport. If you have changed your name more than once. contact the appropriate foreign embassy/consulate. and ■ One official document that includes your photograph and signature. birth. you must also present documentation that confirms these details (see the notes on the right). we will mail you a form with your personal details pre-printed on it. If you are unable to provide the required documents from the right that confirms your Australian citizenship and identity phone the Australian Passport Information Service on 131 232.g. You can lodge your form at most Australia Post offices. you must bring the original (and a photocopy) of your divorce papers and other documents that explain your resumed name (e. If you are applying for a new passport as a result of marriage.passports.

You will need a guarantor to endorse your photograph and complete part of the form Your guarantor must: be an Australian citizen who is 18 years of age or over not be related to you by birth or marriage not be in a de facto relationship with you (this includes a same sex relationship) not live at your address have known you for at least 12 months 45mm Endorsing the photograph This diagram shows the area the face should take up and how the guarantor should endorse the back of one photograph. of the appropriate size. The two identical photographs must: be no more than six months old be between 35mm and 40mm in width. so that the head takes up between 32mm and 36mm see diagram below) be of good quality colour and on high quality paper. and your head not tilted be taken with a neutral expression (not laughing or frowning) with your mouth closed of the photo be close up. show you without any hat or other head covering (if you wear a be taken with uniform lighting (no shadows across the face) be in sharp focus and clear.Notes for completing the form Providing two identical photographs of yourself 35mm 3 45mm ✔ Acceptable ✗ Too far away ✗ Not square on to the camera ✗ Too dark ✗ Too light ■ You must provide two recent colour photographs of yourself with your application form. have a plain. or have been on the Commonwealth Electoral Roll at their current address for the past 12 months. and no tinted lenses (if possible. and ■ One photograph must be signed by a guarantor as a true photo of you. images reproduced in passports will not be photographic quality and will appear different from the photographs supplied. Please check that the guarantor you choose can fulfil all of the above requirements before they sign your photograph. Min 32mm Max 36mm This is a true photo of JOHN CITIZEN (full name of applicant) Online Form PC1_0812 SIZE (signature of guarantor) P Smith 35mm . otherwise the photograph will be rejected. The photograph must: be of your head and top of your shoulders show your shoulders square on (not portrait style with you looking over one shoulder) ■ The photographs must be clear. light-coloured background have appropriate brightness and contrast and show your skin tones naturally show your eyes open and clearly visible.passports. and between 45mm and 50mm in height with no ink or marks on the image show your face square on (both edges of the face should be visible) show you looking straight at the camera. and no hair in your eyes show your eyes clearly through glasses if you wear them with no flash reflection off the glasses. See www. Digital photographs: Photographs taken with digital cameras must be high quality colour and printed on photo-quality paper. avoid heavy glasses frames wear lighter framed glasses if you have them) head covering for religious reasons. we will accept a photograph of you wearing for more information about passport photograph guidelines. but your facial features from bottom of chin to top of forehead and both edges of your face must be clearly shown).gov. If the person you chose does not fulfil all the requirements you will have to supply new photographs and information from another guarantor. NOTE: Due to security printing requirements. PHOTO FACE UP PHOTO FACE DOWN Guarantor must endorse photo: be able to endorse the back of one photograph by writing this is a true photo of [your full name] and signing their name possess a current (unexpired) Australian passport that was issued with at least two year s validity.

or both. please contact the Australian Passport Information Service on 131 232 or visit the passports website at www. A fee will be charged for this service.) The Australian Passports Act 2005 also provides penalties for Australians who do not report the loss or theft of their Australian travel document to an Australian passport office (phone 131 232). compassionate reasons requires a Certificate of Identity. Australian citizenship To obtain an Australian passport you must declare that you are an Australian citizen (i. From 1 July 2005. The Australian Passports Act 2005 contains measures to encourage Australians to better protect their travel document. or an Australian mission overseas. you will need to pay an additional fee on top of the normal lodgement fee. automatically lost their Australian citizenship on the date on which they gained the citizenship of that country. Australian travel documents reported lost or stolen will be permanently cancelled and will no longer be valid for further travel. Australian citizenship and citizenship of other countries Adults Before 22 November 1984 an adult Australian citizen who. It is a criminal offence under the Australian Passports Act 2005 to make false or misleading statements. Online Form PC1_0812 Refund of application fee The application fee is only refundable in extenuating or unusual circumstances. Children: Prior to 4 April 2002. This would have occurred regardless of whether the person was in Australia or overseas at the time of gaining the other citizenship. Lodgement at a passport office in Australia is by appointment for applicants whose travel: ■ is imminent ■ is for unforeseen. From 4 April 2002 an Australian citizen no longer loses their Australian citizenship simply by taking on the citizenship of another country.e. If the loss or theft of the document falls within certain limited compassionate or phone the DIAC information line on 131 880. a person will still lose Australian citizenship if they formally renounce Australian citizenship. or any Australian mission overseas. a refund of the basic lost and stolen fee may be made. The amount will depend on the number of travel documents you have lost or had stolen over the past five years from date of lodgement of the application form. go to . ■ Lost and stolen passports Lost or stolen travel documents provide criminals with the opportunity to assume another or phone the Australian Passport Information Service on 131 the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) can provide you with documentary evidence that you are an Australian citizen. registration by descent or grant of citizenship). (There are penalties of up to 10 years’ imprisonment or a fine of $110 000. a Document of Identity other than for travel to Norfolk Island. or ■ the other responsible parent was an Australian citizen.4 Interview appointments at Passport Offices in Australia Passport applications should be lodged at an Australia Post outlet. a refund of the fee may be applicable. or to www. by the holder. Any lost and stolen fee must be paid on lodgement. are deprived of Australian citizenship or serve in the armed forces of a country at war with Australia. and to travel illegally.passports. Proof of Australian citizenship If you require proof of your Australian as soon as is practicable. by birth in Australia. to a passport office in Australia or an Australian mission overseas within three months of it having been recorded as lost or stolen. A passport is only officially considered lost or stolen after the loss or theft has been reported to a passport office. A decision not to issue a passport or travel-related document is generally not considered to be an extenuating or unusual circumstance. You could have lost your Australian citizenship if you gained the citizenship of another country prior to 4 April 2002.citizenship. please contact any office of DIAC in Australia.passports. From 22 November 1984 until 3 April 2002. This information cannot be provided at interview and you must complete section 10 before you lodge the application a child under 18 years (under 21 prior to December 1973) may have lost Australian citizenship if the responsible parent of the child ceased to be an Australian. A decision not to refund an application fee is a reviewable decision under section 48(j) of the Australian Passports Act 2005. Contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship for further information. Where the application form is being used to obtain a replacement travel document for one that has been lost or stolen. If your application meets one of the above criteria. a Convention Travel Document. an adult Australian citizen over 18 automatically lost Australian citizenship if they became a citizen of another country by doing something (such as making an application for that other citizenship) with the sole or dominant purpose of gaining that other citizenship. For further information on how to apply for a refund or seek a review of a Where a document is recovered and returned. Report the number of travel documents you have lost or had stolen in the past five years at section 10 of the application form. However. while outside Australia. gained the citizenship of another country by some voluntary or formal act other than marriage. or visit the website: www. to carry out criminal activity in another name. a diplomatic passport or an official passport. If you need further information and assistance. phone 131 232 to make an appointment at your nearest passport office. For information on the additional WARNING fee you will be required to pay. The child will not have ceased to be an Australian citizen if: ■ this would have resulted in the child having no citizenship.