1983: Doomsday 

1983: Doomsday postulated the alternative outcome of the Sept. 26, 1983 event,  when Colonel Stanislav Petrov was alerted, in error, to a possible US missile strike  against the Soviet Union.  In OTL (original timeline), Colonel Petrov believed the information to be false and did  not alert the Kremlin to the data he was receiving. Given Cold War tensions at the  time, such information would likely have convinced the Soviets that the US had  launched a first strike attempting to "cut off the head" and launched their forces, in  the believe it was a "counter­strike", not a first­strike.  The resulting nuclear exchange would have been close to the forecasts of almost  complete destruction and "nuclear winter" predicted by many scientists of the day,  resulting in as much as two billion people killed initially, possibly another two billion  in the subsequent environmental disaster.  Those 0,8 billions having survived desperately try to keep together what is left of  human society and therewith face seemingly impossible challenge.  Over the next three decades, now southern­hemisphere­lead mankind is struggling  to preserve a certain level of civilization. The culmination ­ the foundation of the New  United Nations (NUN)­headed by Australia, Argentina and Brazil in 2013 awakens a  small glance of a possibly more peacefully future for mankind.

September 19, 1983 

Colonel Gennady Akrimov replaces Col. Stanislav Petrov (picture) as watch officer at  the Serpukhov­15 bunker near Moscow, which monitors for a US missile attack on the  Soviet Union. Colonel Petrov is re­assigned to a bunker near Odessa. 

Sept. 26, 1983 
Just past midnight, at 00:40 hrs, the Serpukhov­15 bunker's computers indicated that a  US missile was heading toward the Soviet Union. Akrimov, at first, reasoned that a  computer error had occurred, since it was only one missile and it didn't make sense that  the US would launch one missile in an attack. Questions about the reliability of the  satellite detection system had also been raised in the past, so he dismissed the warning  as a false alarm, concluding that there was no actual missile.  Very shortly though, the computers indicated that a second missile had been launched,  then a third, a fourth and a fifth. Akrimov, a faithful reader of "Pravda" where he had  read much of the "warmongering of the American President Reagan" now felt that the  attack was real. He telephoned the headquarters of the Strategic Rocket Forces and  told them that his computers showed that a massive US attack was underway.

General Secretary Andropov (picture) was awakened by his staff and rushed to an  evacuation helicopter standing by. On the way he was informed by the generals that  they had "good information" that the Americans were launching a first­strike. They  recommended a full retaliatory strike. Andropov, frail and stunned by the news, nodded  and gave the launch codes to the SRF commanders. 

Four and one­half minutes later, at over 300 missile bunkers, the order was  given....launch. Nearly 1100 Soviet ICBMs in staggered order were launched at the  United States, American bases in Europe and Great Britain, and in a plan never publicly  revealed at another fifty sites in the People's Republic of China.

Sept. 26, 1983 

At around 12:28am, NORAD launch detection satellites detected the launch from the  Soviet Union. It was apparently, to them, a Soviet FIRST­strike and President Reagan  was immediately awoken and rushed to "Marine­1", to be evacuated to the Boeing E­4B  Nightwatch "National Airbone Command Post" (picture). He arrived twenty minutes later  and the aircraft took off at about 12:55am.  Enroute, the President was informed by Secretary of Defense Weinberger and the  NORAD generals that the launch was confirmed and that it was total. Reagan gave the  launch codes and ordered a full retaliatory strike, including "city­buster" missile attacks  from the American submarine fleet.  Meanwhile as Andropov's helicopter was approaching the Kremlin's evacuation bunker  forty miles outside of Moscow, he received a chilling report. The first "projected" missile  had reached its target in Murmansk....but no detonation had occurred. Quickly checking,  Soviet generals discovered that the first targets that were supposed to have been  destroyed minutes earlier, showed NO incoming warheads and no detonation.

Andropov suffered a massive stroke as he realized he had just started World War­III on  a false alarm. A minute later the first Soviet missile detonated in Beijing China, followed  quickly by one at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska (picture). Minutes after that, a  second REAL report of incoming American missiles was reported. 

Sept 26, 1983 
Doomsday. Over a period of two hours, from approximately 1:15am until 3:10am, over  three thousand nuclear weapons were detonated all across the Northern Hemisphere.  NATO commanders were ordered to launch tactical Pershing­I missiles at Soviet tank  yards, and Warsaw Pact commanders responded with the launch of their Pioneer  missiles.  Chinese forces, woefully caught by surprise by the Soviet attack, were only able to  launch 30% of their weapons at the USSR. Most hit cities and military bases already  destroyed by American missiles and bombers.  Neither American nor Soviet nor any other citizen was given much warning of the  attack. Some cities did receive alerts and while local mayors and fire chiefs were  scrambling to remember where the air­raid siren was, they were either destroyed or  missed in the attack.  EMP (electro­magnetic pulses) from airbursted weapons destroyed some 70% of the  electronics across the Northern Hemisphere. Radios, televisions, etc. all rendered  useless.

Final death toll on that first day was 1.53 billion people...from the United States, to  Cuba, across to the United Kingdom, Western and Eastern Europe, the Soviet Union,  China, Japan, the Phillipines, and three cities in Australia.  And a black pall of smoke, dust, and radioactive ash covered half the world. 

September 1983­March 1984 
Predictions of the results of a nuclear exchange from the late 70s and early 80s are  fairly accurate. In addition to the initial deaths, subsequent deaths due to fall­out, out­of­  control fires, starvation, dehydration, disease, etc. adds another 700 million, mostly in  the Northern Hemisphere.  The predictions of "nuclear winter" however come up short. Only a 10 F. drop is noted,  and as the attack occurs going into the late fall, it isn't a major effect on typical weather  patterns. The dust cover does block out the sun for several days, but within a week, it  dissipates and cloud patterns return to normal by mid­October.  Later in the Summer of 1984, predictions of a "nuclear summer" do come true, as  nitrogen oxides and a reduced ozone layer raise temperatures to an average high 10­25  F. over normal.

Vast areas of North America, most of Europe, much of the Soviet Union, and many  parts of China are uninhabitable. Radiations levels drop with the predicted two week  fall­out pattern, but irradiated areas and areas where toxic chemicals have been spilt  are deadly to humans contacting them. Several nuclear reactors in the US, Europe, and  in the Soviet Union go critical and explode releasing further radiation into the  atmosphere.  Meanwhile death tolls keep rising. By March 1984, the population of the United States  has dropped to 28 million people, almost 1/10 the pre­Doomsday level. The story is  similar in the rest of the Northern Hemisphere, with Great Britain knocked down a level  of population unseen since the Norman Conquest.

After a week in the National Airborne Command Post jet, President Reagan is  transferred to the still­surviving Mount Weather command bunker (aerial photo). (Oddly,  though known to the Soviets for years, no attack on the facility was made.) Vice­  President George Bush is relocated to the Greenbrier Hotel facility (this was to have  been the Congressional relocation center, but no evacuation of Congress was possible).  Attempts at co­ordination of remaining police, fire, and especially National Guard units  in the United States proved only marginally successful. With the widespread death,  starvation, and fall­out, few National Guardsmen reported for duty. Most couldn't, but  many (with no safe zones for their families) refused. Chaos reigned. 

Two years after the war, little had improved, in fact much had worsened in the Northern  Hemisphere. Food shortages were absolute. Starvation kills another 200 million people.  Cannibalism of the dead wasn't un­common, and some roving gangs of former military  units even killed people for food.

President Reagan (picture) and his staff at Mt. Weather were facing a dire situation. The  facility was only established with two years' food supply and it was running out.  Neighboring Virginia farms were abandoned and orchards were producing mutated fruit  or in most cases none at all. Salvage teams from his Secret Service detail were sent out  to get more, but were having little luck as the few surviving locals had picked stores and  restaurants clean. 

Contact with Vice­President Bush (picture) at The Greenbrier indicated the same  situation was effecting them. Eventually the decision was made to evacuate the  President and Vice­President from North America and fly them to Australia.  Reagan and Bush left the US on May 5th, 1985. Reagan's plane had engine trouble just  after leaving one of the remaining airports in Hawaii. The E­4 Boeing lost altitude and  crashed into the Pacific. Though the President and First Lady survived the crash, the

life­raft they and their Secret Service team escaped on sank in a squall a day later.  Nominally, George Bush became President on May 6th, 1985. 

He reached Brisbane, after stops in Hawaii and Auckland, New Zealand. Prime Minister  Hawke (picture) welcomed Bush, but informed him that the RAAF had lost contact with  the NEACP. They waited a few days for any reports, but with none coming, Bush had a  local Australian judge swear him in as President on May 8th.  In the Southern Hemisphere, radioactivity had spread to Brazil, southern Africa, and  northern Australia. There was no "On The Beach" scenario; these areas suffered little  permanent damage, but the destruction of trade and violent weather patterns caused  them much hardships.  Australia had weathered the war the best. Though it had lost Sydney, Melbourne, and  Perth, the capital at Canberra had survived and much of the population had taken  shelter and had provisions. Australian agriculture was relatively intact and in the years  after the war had maintained a sufficient production. Rationing of food was enacted, but  it was not burdensome. Prime Minister Bob Hawke had been in office only a few months  before Doomsday, but had proved an able leader.  South American countries did slightly worse. Though they had been spared any nuclear  attacks, breakdowns in trade and scarcity of food for many months had taken their toll.

Sub­Saharan Africa was worse. The loss of American and European and Soviet aid had  plunged most of the African nations into chaos and starvation. The economy of the  Union of South Africa collapses, even under martial law, rioting runs rampant as it  becomes apparent that the white minority is shunting food and fuel rations to primarily  whites, while black South Africans starve. When guards abandoned the Robben Island  prison, members of the ANC rescued Nelson Mandela (picture), but the joy was short­  lived as Mandela died in a bombing raid by the South African Air Force on a Pretorian  black neighborhood. 

The USS "Benjamin Franklin" (SSBN­640) (picture) becomes the fifth American nuclear  submarine to arrive in Australia in May of 1985. Out of communications with any  command authority and running out of food, the captain of the "Franklin" orders it  berthed at Cairns and awaits orders from President Bush.

An "American Provisional Government" is established in Canberra, mostly attempted to  garner intelligence on the situation, both in the US and across the world. 

Ten years after the war, the USS "Benjamin Franklin" is re­fitted by the Royal Australian  Navy and sent on an intelligence gathering mission. Her empty missile silos are filled  with food, enough to last sixteen­to­eighteen months. She heads out, returning to Cairns  in August 1994.  She reports that the situation in the United States is "medieval". A few towns and  villages have formed themselves into barricaded sanctions, fighting off marauding ex­  Army and ex­police units, scavenging for food, water and ammunition. The estimated  population of the contiguous US is guessed at less than 10 million. A Royal Australian  Air Force pilot who volunteered to join the "Franklin" crew, found an intact Beechcraft  airplane near Tillamook, Oregon and flew several hundred miles inland.  He reported reaching a vast desert as he approached the old Idaho/Nevada border.  Radiation levels were minimal, but the area seemed devoid of plant and animal life. He  returned and reboarded the "Franklin" as it headed down along the West Coast.  Europe and what could be reached of the Soviet Union seemed no better. Dust and  windstorms prevented aerial reconnaissance but the land seemed devastated. Ice cap  measurements in the Arctic were unusually thin, and apparently global warming (due to  the drop in plant life and rise in CO2) was occurring.  China, Japan, and much of Asia appeared to be as "medieval" as the United States.  The "Franklin" crew narrowly escaped when it was attacked in Okinawa by islanders  who (from observation) had become cannibals.  India, though lightly damaged from the war, had suffered mass starvation and  disintegrated into numerous warlordships.  No radio or television signals were received by the "Franklin", except from Australia,  Argentina, and Brazil. They reported the rise in temperatures, and an increase in UV  radiation.  It became apparently, even before the "Franklin" left, that the ozone layer had suffered  tremendous damage due to the effects of the nuclear explosions. Sunburns began in  southern Australia after only a few minutes exposure. Ultimately many Australians (as

well as other Southern Hemispherans) had to fully cover themselves (even on the  hottest days) and apply generous amounts of sunscreen. (Sunscreen became a top  priority, after food, for production in the surviving nations.) 

Twenty years after the war, some improvements in the climate and environment were  noted. With few internal combustion engines and little cattle farming, CO2 levels and  accompanying temperatures apparently dropped. Ozone levels over the Antarctic  showed a slight rise, though dangerous levels of UV radiation still existed in much of the  Southern Hemisphere. People had grown accustomed to fully covering themselves. 

The Provisional American Government ended in 1994. President Bush in consultation  with Prime Minister John Howard (picture) issued a short statement to the few American  expatriates in Australia, stating that it is best if they "become part of the Australian life  and culture". He acted as an advisor to Howard, primarily on development of Australian  oil production in Indonesia.

Another Australian recon mission of the world was undertaken in 2000. It involved the  refurbished USS "Nimitz" (CVN­68) (picture), which was found floating off the coast of  Papua New Guinea in 1997 (the crew dead from radiation poisoning). Loaded with fuel  and supplies, it returned once again to the Northern Hemisphere (and equipped with  helicopters from Australia) surveyed the west coast of the United States, Japan, and  China.  The United States (at least to the Rocky Mountains) was a scattered group of heavily  fortified villages (less than 50 from Washington State to southern California), with nearly  double that number abandoned or burned. Fired upon by some inhabitants, the  Australian pilots made safe landings only at two. Once in Bay City, Oregon and another  at Crescent City, California.  Both towns were walled and had a feudal warlords, one called "the Mayor" in Bay City,  the other called "Boss Jones" in Crescent City. Starvation­level food production barely  kept the villagers alive, while the warlords and their guards reaped most of the benefits  of the food and fresh water. Plagues of typhus, cholera, and diptheria had depleted their  numbers and neither town had a population larger than 1100 people. It was assumed  this situation was repeated in much of the old United States.  Fly­overs of the land east of the Rocky Mountains revealed that grass and some trees  had started to grow again in much of the formerly desert areas. Nomads were seen  scavenging through ruins, but no contact was made with them. Radiation "hot zones"  were detected near old nuclear power plants, but generally the radiation levels had  dropped to low levels.


Prime Minister Paul Keating (picture) and the Australian Parliament create a "World  Census and Reclamation Bureau" after contacting the few remaining nation­state  governments left in South America, Asia, and Africa. Most of these are military  dictatorships, but are eager to resume some form of international trade, both to appease  their populations and to help increase their own power.  The first act of the WCRB is tally the population of the Earth. More reconnaissance  missions are flown by the Australian Navy and Air Force, with temporary bases set­up in  Nairobi; Bangalore; Hanoi; Nueva Laredo, Mexico; and Cartagena, Spain. Teams are  sent out and, while encountering some hostiles, try to take a census of the world's  population.  Their findings: Total World Population: a. 800 million. Slightly more than estimates for  the year 1750 AD. Primarily in the Southern Hemisphere. Chief causes of death:  communicable disease, cancer, and starvation. Infant mortality rates: about 40% or 2 of  5 die before reaching the age of one year. 60% or 3 of 5 die before reaching age five.  Average life­span: 32 years. Literacy rates of those under 20 years of age: 2% (outside  of Australia, Argentina, Chile, Brazil).  5 further years of worldwide recon missions followed, establishing permanent WCRB  bases throughout merely habitable areas.

In India, the several short­lived warlordships continued fighting for every bit of food and  supplies, although a "Union Parliament" was installed in 2008 in a small period of  cease­ fire. The subcontinent was not much more than a chaotic guerrila­warfare  battleground. 


North America: The 2009 WCRB mission, led by the "Nimitz", discovered the existence  of an isolated, but functioning Canadian "capital" in Iqualuit (Nunavut) (picture). The  remainders of the Canadian government evacuated in 1985 to this remote city.  An official Canadian ambassador was taken back to Canberra and officially  reestablished diplomatic relations. This was the first post­doomsday bilateral encounter  including a Northern ­ Hemisphere nation.

Along with increasing stability in fulfilling basic needs, especially food supply, the South  American states agreed to a loose, mainly economical, federation modeled after the  former European Community. This South American Confederation ­ lead by Argentinian  President Gilberto de Nuna and his Brazil Counterpart Da Pinto, gradually managed to  increase democratic developments.  WCRB Northern office was opened in Iqualuit. 

The SAC with its Headquarters in Montevideo, Uruguay now consisted of 8 South  American States insisting on introducing democracy as a condition to accept new  member states. 

Australia started up expanding north to formerly Papua ­ New Guinea, Singapore and  Philippines, mainly in order to increase necessary industrial production and raw  materials. In order not to repeat past territory claim consequences, PM Paul Keating on  June 17th called for the Foundation of a new UN­ like organization.  Keating's impressing speech on the Australian National Memorial Site in Canberra was  the first post­war television broadcast seen by nearly the entire world population.  And his call was answered. On September 26th, 2013, exactly 30 years after the  devastating Doomsday bringing humanity at the edge of total extinction, Keating, de  Nuna and da Pinto, along with representatives of the other 23 recently reestablished  Nations, gathered in Canberra to sign the Foundation Charta of the New United Nations  (NUN).  Despite this first sign of hope, the worldwide situation only slowly increased. Still only  Australia and the SAC states maintained a significant level of industrial production.  World population merely stagnated, even though cancer, child mortality and  analphabetism were slowly loosing ground.

In Africa, conditions were still mostly horrifying. A struggling South African Provisional  Government was merely able to secure a small region around Capetown with massive  support of a small joint SAC­ Australian Garrison. Everything north of this region was  almost lawless warlord­ruled territory.  The Northern Hemisphere has not really changed much. The annual WCRB recon  missions showed no significant improvement in North America, Europe and North Asia.  The fortified cities along the Pacific coast, faced with desperate food supply and no real  perspective for anyone, finally agreed on the installation of a "Supply Exchange council"  coordinating the distribution of humanitary aid received from Australia and mainly SAC  countries. This very slowly started to pacify the hostilities leading to form a "Pacific  Coast Police Unit" unifying the cities' security forces in order to secure the hunamitary  transports and infrastructure between the cities.  Europe: The successful tries to re­initiate some communication and weather satellites  from a remote station in former Ireland paved way to a significant increase in multilateral  communication and infrastructural rebuilding. It also allowed improved climatical  surveillance.