You are on page 1of 11

September 1, 2002

Remembering 150 Years...


1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002

Our
stories.
Our
people.
Our
history.

This 1930 photograph shows the members of that


year’s St. Francis Xavier Parish Players, one of the On December 18, 1922,
early theatrical groups formed as part of the parish the first automobile
community. Pictured in front, from left to right, are
Gertrude (Babe) Billings, Mr. Dutrizac, Father expense appears in the
McKinnirey, and June Lindsay. In the back row are accounts book of the
James Larkin, Ray Labonte, Arthur O’Connor, parish. A new car, a
Harold Leclair, Drucilla Wark, Bill Dutrizac, Helen
Enright (Roach), George Wark, and Patricia Wark. Dodge, was purchased
Seated on the floor at front is Harold Bolger. at a cost of $450.00.

Four young ladies of our


parish take a break and pose
for this picture taken at the St.
Francis Xavier Youth Camp.
The photo, taken sometime in
the 1950's, was not
accompanied by the identities
of the girls shown.
Grade 12 and Commercial pupils from St. Joseph’s Academy are pictured at their
graduation exercises in September, 1959. In the back row, from left to right, are
Shirley Visinski, Shirley Coules, Donna Lance, Geraldine Lemieux, Ursula Dobec,
Hazel Rouble, and Betty Hunt. In the middle row, Beverley Woloszik, Pauline Kluke,
Frances Hanrahan, Marilyn Pilatzki, Evelyn Castonguay, Frances Scerba, and Diana
St. Louis. In the front row are Joan Mulvihill, Mary Keizer, Bernadette Dregas, Judith
Stubinski, and Darlene Deloughery.

A record of St. Joseph’s High School would not be


complete without an acknowledgement of the
financial support of the school by the Parish of St.
Francis Xavier and the Parish of Our Lady of
Fatima. For many years, a Catholic High School
Board has managed the funds raised by parish
bingos in such a way that lay teachers on the staff
have been paid salaries equivalent to those of
teachers in the Public Secondary School System.
Grateful recognition is offered also to the
Catholic Womens’s League and to the Knights of
Columbus of Renfrew and to all other church
societies of both parishes for their abiding moral
and financial support.
September 8, 2002
Remembering 150 Years...
1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002

Our
stories.
Our
people.
Our
history.
Afternoon banguet follows opening of new church
Pictured above, in a 1968 photograph, are some of the dignitaries seated at the head table of the
banquet marking the official opening of the new St. Francis Xavier Church.
From left to right are Donald C. Griffen, architect; Msgr. Michael Barry, who delivered the afternoon
sermon; Renfrew Mayor Howard Haramis; Bishop William J. Smith, who blessed the new church; Msgr.
S.P. Owens, pastor of St. Francis Xavier; and Tom Prince, Master of Ceremonies.

First Language of
Parish Families
Expressed as a Percentage

St. Francis Xavier Church


English
63%

Parish Population
French 2,496
11%
Polish
27%
English Polish French
1,630 584 282
P Total Parish Families: 506
P English: 317 P Baptisms: 109
P Polish: 135 P Marriages: 21
P French: 54 P Deaths: 38
This old photo shows the Grade 1 class at St. Francis Xavier School in 1946-47.

January 18, 1925


“ During the past year, the debt on the church was reduced by
$6,803.85. At the present time, the debt is $13,959.32.”
An Honour Guard escorts Bishop William J. Smith as part of a parade from St.
Francis Xavier to St. Joseph’s Academy for Benediction. Some of the participants
have been identified as follows: In the line closest to the photographer, from front to
back are Charlie Roberts, John Kluke, and two others. In the second line are Harold
Leclair, Don Goulet,
Father Roney, Clarence
Vice, Jimmy Preen, Billy
Bolger, and Gerard
Green. Making up the
third line are Tom
Murray, Phil Bolger,
unidentified, Dr. Brown,
Bill Ryan, Bob Ryan, and
Jim Pulcine. In the
fourth line are Martin
Dobec, Phil Green,
unidentified, Separate
School Inspector
Anderson, and several
others., also unidentified.
September 15, 2002
Remembering 150 Years...
1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002

Our
stories.
Our
people.
Our
history.

The Hon. Dr. J.J. McCann, a parishioner of


St. Francis Xavier and longtime Renfrew resident,
is escorted by an Honour Guard as he makes his
final exit from the church. Dr. McCann was the
Member of Parliament for the riding of Renfrew
South for many years and also served with
distinction as the Minister of Revenue in
successive Liberal cabinets of the late 1940's and
early 1950's.
Pictured at right are three former cabinet
ministers who traveled to Renfrew to say goodbye
to their friend and colleague. From left to right
are the Rt. Hon. Louis St. Laurent, former Prime
Minister of Canada, the Hon. Douglas Abbott,
former Minister of Finance, and the Hon. Lionel
Chevrier, former Minister of Transport.

In the Announcement Book of October 31, 1926, a new Feast was announced that was to be
celebrated for the first time. The Feast of Jesus Christ Our King, also known as the Feast of
the Kingship of Christ, was to be observed by an Act of Consecration after all Masses. As
well, there was to be a Litany of the Sacred Heart after High Mass and during Benediction.
In the photograph above can be found the entire student body of St. Francis Xavier School
for the 1945-46 school year. One can only admire the effort put into this photo by all
involved to achieve the resulting elements of symmetry and balance. The newspaper editor
of the day mused that every detail had been taken care of by the participants, except for
perhaps the photographer, who may have forgotten to tell his subjects to say “cheese.”

Sister Frances
Ann and Sister
Brenda pose with
some other
participants of
the Girls’ Camp
held during the
summers at Lake
Clear.

Students from St. Francis Xavier School perform a Christmas operetta entitled “ The Toys
That Had to Wait” in this 1952 photograph.
In the photograph above can be found the entire student body of St. Francis Xavier School
for the 1945-46 school year. One can only admire the effort put into this photo by all
involved to achieve the resulting elements of symmetry and balance. The newspaper editor
of the day mused that every detail had been taken care of by the participants, except for
perhaps the photographer, who may have forgotten to tell his subjects to say “cheese.”

Pat Maloney has been a regular participant


with the Music Ministry for many years. Her
musical talents continue to enhance the
richness of Mass and other Liturgical
celebrations of the Parish.

Along with the contributions of many others,


Pat has devoted countless hours of planning,
practice, and performance that have
provided an additional element of beauty and
grace to celebrations already blessed with
these elements.

Students from St. Francis Xavier School perform a Christmas operetta entitled “ The Toys
That Had to Wait” in this 1952 photograph.
September 22, 2002
Remembering 150 Years...
1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002

Our
stories.
Our
people.
Our
history.
April 18, 1937
Parishioners across the Diocese
were saddened by the news of
the passing of their beloved
Bishop, the Rt. Rev. P.T. Ryan,
on this date. The body of
The Gothic interior splendour of the old St. Francis Bishop Ryan was borne from the
Xavier Church is on full display in this photograph Pembroke General Hospital to
taken during a wedding ceremony in the early the Cathedral where it would lie
1960's. in state until the funeral service.

Regular entries in the Anniversary Book from the year 1918 indicate
1918 that Bishop P.T. Ryan made regular trips to St. Francis Xavier to be
able to hear confessions in Polish.

Even Priests Were


Once Little Boys
Father Patrick Dobec gets an early start with
his Ministry by providing a helping hand to this
youngster in an August 1961 photograph. Also
pictured with Father Dobec are Dean Blimkie,
the beneficiary/victim of his assistance, and Judy
Blimkie (Regan).
In the background, workers can be seen
building the chapel for the Youth Camp at Lake
Clear.
July 26, 1903
Pope Leo XIII
Parishioners of St. Francis
Xavier were asked to pray
for the repose of the Soul
of His Holiness Pope Leo
XIII who had died the
previous Monday. The
Altar of the Blessed Virgin
was left draped for one
month in memory of the
The photograph above, taken during the funeral of Dr. J.J. Pope while prayers were
McCann in the early 1960's, is one of the few on record that also requested for the
shows the north side of the priests’ residence as it existed election of a new Pope.
prior to the fire of 1964. This building stood on ground One “Our Father” and one
presently occupied by today’s church, with the double “Hail Mary” were
windows on the ground floor of this residence roughly recommended as being
corresponding to where the entrance of the new church is sufficient.
today.

“ A group of boys and girls from St. Joseph’s Academy and


St. Francis Xavier Boy’s School will broadcast a Christmas
program over Station CFRA Ottawa, beginnining at 2:30 PM
today. Tune in to hear a very fine program by our own boys
and girls.”

Sisters of the Holy Cross gather in honour Sister Thecla McDonald (seated ) on the
occasion of her Golden Jubilee. Standing, from left to right are Sr. Aime! Huot, Sr.
Beatrice Keegan, Sr. Eileen Collins, Sr. Bernadetta Herliky, Sr. Doreen W ithers, Sr.
Miriam Curran, Sr. Gertrude Wadsworth, Sr. Joan McGillis, Sr. Genevieve Moore, Sr.
George Anthony, Sr. Theresa Barrett, Sr. Unis Letang, Sr. Brenda Kavanagh, and Sr.
Catherine Sauve (Principal).
September 29, 2002
Remembering 150 Years...
1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002

Our
stories.
Our
people.
Our
history.

Do you know these girls? Beginning next Sunday, Eucharistic


Ministers will wash their hands before
Participants of the Girls’ Youth Camp at Lake Communion (as the Priest during Mass)
Clear take a break from the activities and pause to symbolize our need of purification for
for this photograph. Unfortunately, the photo is the privledge of sharing the Body of
undated, but it’s likely some of our readers will Christ. Also, they will receive the
be able identify the girls and the year. Eucharest under both species of the Body
and Blood.

Pictured in the above photograph is the cast of the St. Francis Xavier musical
production “Fun For All.” The production was staged in the auditorium of St. Francis
Xavier School sometime in the late 1940's.
Pastors and associates
from over the years
emerge from the Small
Hall and make their way
to the church in
preparation for the St.
Francis Xavier 150th
Anniversary Mass held
on June 23, 2002.

Announcement Book: April 1947


P April 13, 1947: A farewell party for Father M. Hass will be sponsored by the CWL
Wednesday at 8:15 at the Knights of Columbus Hall.
P April 20, 1947: A social evening sponsored by St. Ann’s Society will be held at
the Separate School auditorium with Father Hass as guest of honour.
P April 20, 1947: A farewell address and presentation will be made to Father Hass
at the 10:30 Mass.

This picture captures the high school entrance class graduating from St. Francis
Xavier School in 1950.