You are on page 1of 2

Save Our Shoals

Fact Sheet #2
Regulatory Authority
This is a simple overview of the regulatory structure that exists with regard to oil sands removal in Alabama.

The Environmental Protection Agency is a federal agency, authorized by the U.S. Congress to create and administer regulations to implement and enforce the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act and other federal environmental laws. Congress also gave states the right to assume primary regulatory authority for enforcement of federal environmental laws within state boundaries. Alabama chose to exercise the state-administration option.

The Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) is the Alabama agency charged with regulating, permitting and enforcing the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act within in the state of Alabama. The EPA does not get involved in permitting or enforcement in Alabama unless ADEM fails to follow the regulations ADEM has established to comply with various federal environmental laws. In other words, the EPA does not review ADEM actions unless those actions appear to violate due process or are inconsistent with federal laws. ADEM has the authority to issue permits to allow the discharge of pollutants into the waters, air, and surfaces within the state of Alabama. ADEM is required to give public notice and the opportunity for public comment before issuing discharge permits.
Prepared April 7, 2014 By Sheree Martin For Public Meeting at LaGrange Fire Department

State Oil & Gas Board

The Oil & Gas Board, a quasi-judicial agency of the state of Alabama, was given authority by the Alabama Legislature to regulate and permit the development of oil sands in Alabama. HB503 was enacted in May 2013. HB 503 amended Sections 9-17-6 and 9-1724, Code of Alabama 1975. Specifically, the State Oil & Gas Board has authority to permit and monitor surface or underground operations for the recovery of oil from oil sands. The State Oil & Gas Board is currently developing regulations for the recovery of oil from oil sands through surface mining or underground operations. The public will have a right to comment on these regulations before they become final. Notice is given through placing an item on the docket for Oil & Gas Board hearings. Learn more here:

Who Are They?

Research in the deed records of Colbert County, Alabama reveals the following business entities are involved in some way in the move to develop oil sands in Alabama (and destroy the northwest corner of our state in the process). Many others are likely involved.

Contact Your Officials

Government officials work for the people. Partial List of State Elected Officials
Rep. Marcel Black (3rd Dist, Colbert County) State House Phone: 334-242-7686 Rep. Johnny Mack Morrow (18th Dist., Colbert & Franklin) State House Phone: 334-242-7698 Rep. Ken Johnson (7th Dist., Lawrence & Winston) State House Phone: 334-242-7754 Email: Rep. Greg Wren (75th District, Montomery, Elmore) State House Phone: 334-242-7764 Chair of Joint Energy Committee State Sen. Tammy Irons (1st Dist., Colbert & Lauderdale) State House Phone: 334-242-7888 Email: State Sen. Roger Bedford (6th Dist., Colbert, Fayette, Franklin, Lamar, Lawrence, Marion, Winston) State House Phone: 334-242-7862 State Sen. Paul Bussman (4th Dist., Cullman, Lawrence, Winston Counties) State House Phone: 334-242-7855 Email: If you arent sure about your district, you can visit this website and enter your zip code to find out:

MS Industries II, LLC TMS Newco, LLC: A Delaware LLC, with Texas office, qualified to do business in Alabama.* Alabama Minerals, LP: A Texas limited partnership* GTW, LP: A Texas limited partnership*
*All of the Texas entities share a common address: 2525 Stemmons Parkway (or Freeway), Dallas, TX 75207 This Dallas address is the same address as the corporate headquarters of:

Trinity Industries, Inc. , a publicly-traded corporation. Find out more at

We Are Social Stop Alabama Tar Sands Mining @SaveOurShoals @SaveOurShoals @SaveOurShoals Channel Name: Save Our Shoals

We will be updating our government contact list here:

If you have questions, want to get involved, would like another public event, or just want to express your opinion, please contact us by email here: You can sign up for our email newsletter here:

Speak Out.
Make Your Voice Heard