This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Behavior Note: Each question carries 10 Marks. Answer all the questions. Q.1 Q.2 Q.3 Q.4 Q.5 Q.6 “Today managers need to perform various functions”: Elaborate the statement (10 Marks) “Skills are the tool for performance”-Explain various management skills. (10 Marks) What is negotiation? Explain the process of negotiation. (10 Marks) Explain Classical Conditioning Theory? (10 Marks) How are culture and society responsible to built value system? (10 Marks) Write short notes on (10 Marks) o Locus of control o Machiavellianism
Set 2 - Marks 60
Subject Name: Management Process and Organizational Behavior
Note: Each question carries 10 Marks. Answer all the questions. Q.1 Q.2 Q.3 Q.4 “Halo effect and selective perception are the shortcuts in judging others” Explain (10 Marks) Explain “Emotional Intelligence”. (10 Marks) of (10 Marks) “A group formation passes through various stages”: Explain the various stages
“Power is the ability to make things happen in the way an individual wants, either by self or by (10 Marks)
the subordinates. The essence of power is to control over the behavior of others”: Explain what are the various bases of Power? Q.5 Explain “Organizational Development” process (10 Marks) (10 Marks) Q .Write short note on “Stress Management”
ASSIGNMENTS- MBA Semester I Subject code : MB0023 - (3 credits) Set 1 - Marks 60
Subject Name : Business Communication
Note: Each question carries 10 Marks. Answer all the questions.
Q.1. Describe any situation in your experience where the communication was a failure. Analyze the barrier(s) which stood in the way of successful communication. Explain how you would overcome the barrier(s). (10 Marks). Q.2. Select an article of around 200 words from any business publication. Analyze the readability of the article using the “Fog Index”. Is the reading level appropriate for the reader of the publication? (10 Marks). Q.3.Imagine that you are the Chairperson of the Board of Studies of the Department of Management & Commerce of Sikkim Manipal University Department of Distance Education. You have been asked to call a meeting of the members of the Board to discuss the launch of new management programs and new specializations in the existing management program. What kind of meeting would be required? Prepare a comprehensive agenda for the participants of the meeting. (10 Marks) Q.4 Select a corporate ad of your choice from any publication. Analyze the ad in terms of its specific objectives and type of corporate advertising. Is it effective? Why or why not? (10 Marks) Q.5 Write an unsolicited job application letter to a company that you would like to work for in a specific position. Include a one page profile about yourself. (10 Marks) Q.6 Case Study (10 Marks) The Power of Nonverbal Communication Soon after I graduated from engineering college, I accepted a position with the Sundaram Foundry, a medium-sized firm located in a small town in Tamil Nadu. It was a good position, since I was the assistant to Mr. Vishwanath, the General Manager and president of this family owned company, Although there were many technical problems, the work was extremely interesting and I soon learnt all about the foundry business. The foundry workers were mostly older men and were a closely knit team. Many of them were related and had been in the foundry for several years. Therefore, they felt that they knew the business in and out and that a technical education had no value. In fact, Mr. Vishwanath had mentioned to me even at the time of my joining, that I was the only engineer ever to be employed in the foundry. He also let me know that the foundry workers, although a good group, were very clannish, since they had been working together for several years. Therefore, it would probably take them some time to accept me. I introduced myself to the group of foundry workers, a few days after my joining. As I went around in turn, I felt them eyeing me coldly. As I went down the main aisle of the foundry, I heard them talking to each other in low voices and laughing. I found their behavior to be very childish and felt that it was best to ignore these signs of hostility. I thought that if I ignored them, they would automatically stop these antics. A few weeks after this incident, I happened to visit the enamel shop. As I entered, I noticed a worker cleaning the floor with a hose, from which water flowed at high pressure. I was aware that it was the practice to clean the shop at least once a week. I turned my back on the worker and was busy near a dipping tank, when I suddenly felt the force of a stream of water hitting me. I was almost knocked down by the pressure and slipped on the wet floor. When I turned around, the worker looked away in the other direction, as if he had not noticed this happening. However, I was pretty sure that he had intentionally turned the hose on me. Questions 1. How could the engineer, the foundry workers and Mr. Vishwanath be more effective, both verbally and nonverbally? 2. What do you suggest that the engineer should do, after the hosing incident?
ASSIGNMENTS- MBA Semester I
Subject code : MB0023 - (3 credits) Set 2 - Marks 60
Subject Name : Business Communication
Note: Each question carries 10 Marks. Answer all the questions.
Q 1. Describe three specific situations at the workplace where positive non verbal communication could be used effectively to enhance verbal communication. (10 Marks). Q 2. Lateral or horizontal communication is more important today than vertical communication. Do you agree or disagree? Justify your answer. (10 Marks). Q 3. Imagine that you have to make an oral presentation on the features of the EduNext portal to new students of the SMU MBA program. Prepare an outline of the presentation and specify the following – a) Purpose of the presentation b) Key idea c) Audience analysis d) Delivery style. (10 Marks). Q 4. Write a letter to your distributor, conveying the bad news of one of your product lines being phased out or discontinued, offering some form of compensation in return. (10 Marks). Q 5. As a Sales Manager, prepare a one page report in memo format addressed to the VP Marketing, providing sales updates for a newly launched FMCG product. (10 Marks). Q 6. Case Study (10 Marks) Problems with Email communication StratAssemble, leading developer of web-based project and detail management services that improve communication and increase productivity, has released a white paper chronicling the growing problems associated with email--"Can Your Business Survive Email?" The paper recounts the history of email, its changing role in business, and the emergence of new Web 2.0 collaboration tools, such as StratAssemble's PlanDone, that offer new and better ways for companies to manage their workflow. Email usage drains workplace resources and hinders the timely completion of projects of all types. Given today's fast pace of business, communication in real-time and keeping staff on the same page are crucial to staying ahead. Yet delays caused by using email to coordinate business-critical data between individuals, departments, and remote locations actually slow productivity. Top 10 critical email problems: 1. Lack of security 2. Attachment problems 3. Reliability problems 4. Spam clutter 5. Document version confusion 6. Scattered data 7. Unclear project direction
8. Project status confusion 9. Next step priority uncertainty 10. Lack of accountability "Email has become a barrier to effective communication and productivity. StratAssemble's PlanDone encourages participation from everyone involved with a project's outcome and is available anytime and anywhere," said StratAssemble founder AJ Wacaser. "As email problems escalate, the PlanDone solution will become the method of choice for managing day-to-day operations of companies everywhere." Transferring project and task functions from email to PlanDone's interactive platform helps teams build on each other's work. Ideas and opinions are shared, documented, and refined in constructive ways. Two powerful tools--priority ranking and deadline analysis--help staff focus precisely on first things first each day, ensuring last-minute changes and course corrections don't turn into unmanageable business fires. Unlike most other software, PlanDone supports both individual styles and team methods rather than forcing everyone to conform to one rigid system. StratAssemble's motto is "Work smarter. Live happier!" We believe in team creativity and sharing ideas, and are passionate about the collaborative process. Our purpose is to enable and inspire our customers to better manage their knowledgebase and workforces by providing a simple, open platform where every staff member can assemble, participate and contribute--revolutionizing corporate communications and strategic planning. Questions 1.Evaluate email communication as a tool for internal communication, based on the facts mentioned in the case. 2.How will you adapt email communication to overcome some of the problems mentioned in this case?
MB 0024 - (3 credits) Set 1 - Marks 60 STATISTICS FOR MANAGEMENT
ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS Case 1 ABC Branch of XYZ Bank has decided to give 10 Lakh of loan each on long term basis to only two of their customers (accountholders), who are businessmen of the locality. About 20 businessmen had applied for loan in order to develop their business further. In order to reject some of the applications (as the fund was limited), the Bank decided that accountholder who had maintained a minimum balance of 50000 INR would only be considered for the loan. As a result, 10 applications were automatically rejected as they were not satisfying the requirement of minimum balance. Now, the 10 applications remained and it was found that monthly minimum balance in all the cases were more than 50000 INR for the last 12 months. Their account details of monthly minimum balance are given below. Month s A/C Holder 1 60000 70000 55000 90000 56000 80000 82000 79000 51000 95000 82000 83000 A/C Holder 2 56000 76000 11000 0 89000 88000 52000 58000 95000 86000 90000 82000 55000 A/C Holder 3 66000 74000 112000 90000 84000 57000 96000 55000 76000 95000 87000 56000 Monthly Minimum Balance in INR
Jan, 2008 Feb, 2008 Mar, 2008 Apr, 2008 May, 2008 Jun, 2008 Jul, 2008 Aug, 2008 Sept, 2008 Oct, 2008 Nov, 2008 Dec, 2008
A/C Holder 4 86000 96000 190000 98000 84000 57000 66000 93000 74000 99000 84000 57000
A/C Holder 5 56000 76000 11000 0 89000 88000 52000 58000 95000 86000 90000 82000 55000
A/C Holder 6 59000 96000 12000 0 97000 98000 57000 56000 98000 88000 99000 88000 59000
A/C Holder 7 59000 78000 11500 0 87000 90000 55000 86000 99000 89000 95000 87000 59000
A/C Holder 8 52000 73000 11200 0 93000 89000 54000 55000 96000 97000 99000 88000 59000
A/C Holder 9 53000 98000 11300 0 66000 87000 59000 98000 59000 87000 95000 86000 52000
A/C Holder 10 56000 76000 120000 89000 86000 72000 98000 95000 84000 90000 82000 53000
You as an Assistant Branch Manager of the Bank are entrusted the task of selecting two account holders for sanctioning the loans. How you will select the two individuals among the 10 applicants to give the loan using appropriate statistical techniques? Give proper justification for your selection.
MB 0024 - (3 credits) Set 1 - Marks 60
STATISTICS FOR MANAGEMENT
ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
1. What do you mean by sample survey? What are the different sampling methods? Briefly describe them. 2. What is the different between correlation and regression? What do you understand by Rank Correlation? When we use rank correlation and when we use Pearsonian Correlation Coefficient? Fit a linear regression line in the following data – X Y 12 123 15 150 18 158 20 27 34 184 28 176 48 130
3. What do you mean by business forecasting? What are the different methods of business forecasting? Describe the effectiveness of time-series analysis as a mode of business forecasting. Describe the method of moving averages. 4. What is definition of Statistics? What are the different characteristics of statistics? What are the different functions of Statistics? What are the limitations of Statistics? 5. What are the different stages of planning a statistical survey? Describe the various methods for collecting data in a statistical survey. 6. What are the functions of classification? What are the requisites of a good classification? What is Table and describe the usefulness of a table in mode of presentation of data?
MBA- I semester MB0025- Financial & Management Accounting – 3 Credits Book ID- ( B0907 ) Assignment Set 1- (60 Marks)
Note: Answer all the questions. 1. Explain any two concepts of accounting with examples. (10 marks)
2. Prove that accounting equation is satisfied in all the following transactions of Mr.X 1. Commenced business with cash – Rs.80,000 2. Purchased goods for cash – Rs.40,000 and on credit Rs.30,000 3. Sold goods for cash – Rs.40,000 costing Rs.25,000 4. Paid salary – Rs.2,000 and salary outstanding Rs.1,000 5. Bought scooter for personal use for cash at Rs.20,000 3. Show the rectification entries for the following: a. The Sales account is undercast by Rs.15,000 b. Goods returned by the customer Mr.X of Rs.5650 has been posted in the Return Inward Account as Rs.5560 and in Mr.X a/c as Rs.6,550. c. Salary paid Rs.6,000 has been posted to Rent account (10 marks) (10 marks)
d. Cash received from Ram posted to Shyam account Rs.7,000 e. Cash received from Jadu Rs.8,640 has been posted to the debit of Madhu’s a/c 4. The following balances are extracted from the books of Kiran Trading Co on 31st March 2000. You are required to prepare (20 marks) Opening Stock B/R Purchases Wages Insurance Sundry Debtors Carriage Inwards Commission Paid Interest on Capital Stationery Return Inwards 5,000 22,500 1,95,000 14,000 5,500 1,50,000 4,000 4,000 3,500 2,250 6,500 Commission received Return Outward Trade Expenses Office furniture Cash in hand Cash at bank Rent and Taxes Carriage Outward Sales Bills Payable Creditors Capital (10 Marks) 2,000 2,500 1,000 5,000 2,500 23,750 5,500 7,250 2,50,000 15,000 98,250 89,500 trading and profit and loss account and a balance sheet as on that date:
The closing stock was valued at Rs.1,25,000 5. Write short notes on : a. Outstanding Expenses b. Prepaid Expenses
MBA- I semester MB0025- Financial & Management Accounting – 3 Credits Book ID- ( B0907 ) Assignment Set 2- (60 Marks)
Note: Answer all the questions: Each question carries 10 Marks 1. Budgetary Control is a technique of managerial control through budgets. Elaborate. 2. a. Given: Current ratio = 2.6
Liquid ratio = 1.4 Working Capital = Rs.1,10,000 Calculate (1) Current assets (2) current liabilities (3) Liquid Asset (4) Stock b. Calculate Gross Profit Ratio from the following figures: Sales Rs.5,00,000 Sales return Rs.50,000 Closing stock Rs.35,000 Opening stock Rs.70,000 Purchases Rs.3,50,000 3. From the following Balance Sheet of William & Co Ltd., you are required to prepare a Schedule of Changes in Working capital & Statement of Sources and Application of funds. Liabilities Capital P&L a/c Sundry Creditors Long-term Loans Total 2002 Rs. 80,000 14,500 9,000 1,03,500 Balance Sheet 2003 Assets Rs. 85,000 Cash in Hand 24,500 Sundry Debtors 5,000 Stock 5,000 Machinery Building 1,19,500 Total 2002 Rs. 4,000 16,500 9,000 24,000 50,000 1,03,500 2003 Rs. 9,000 19,500 7,000 34,000 50,000 1,19,500
4. Bring out the difference between cash flow and funds flow statement. 5a. DELL computers sell 100 PCs at Rs.42,000. The variable expenses amount to Rs.28,000 per PC. The total fixed expenses is Rs.14,00,000. Prepare an income statement. b. Calculate BEP and MOS Sales at present are 55,000 units per annum. Selling price is Rs.6 per unit. Prime cost Rs.3 per unit. Variable overheads is Re.1 per unit. Fixed cost Rs.80,000 per annum. 6. What is cost variable analysis?
Subject code – MB0026 - (4 credits) Set 1 - Marks 60
SUBJECT NAME- MANAGERIAL ECONOMICS
Note: Each Question carries 10 marks.
1. The demand function of a good is as follows: Q1=100-6P1-4P2+2P3+0.003Y WHERE P1 and Q1 are the price and quantity values of good 1 P2 and P3 are the prices of good 2 and good 3 and Y is the income of the consumer. The initial values are given: P1 =7, P2 =15, P3 =4, Y=8000, Q1 =30, You are required to: a) Using the concept of cross elasticity determine the relationship between good 1 and others
b) Determine the effect on Q1 due to a 10 % increase in the price of good 2 and good 3.
2. What are the factors that determine the Demand curve? Explain. 3. A firm supplied 3000 pens at the rate of Rs 10. Next month, due to a rise of in the price to 22 rs per pen the supply of the firm increases to 5000 pens. Find the elasticity of supply of the pens. 4. Briefly explain the profit-maximization model. 5. What is Cyert and March’s behavior theory? What are the demerits? 6. What is Boumal’s Static and Dynamic
Subject code – MB0026 Set 2 - Marks 60
SUBJECT NAME- MANAGERIAL ECONOMICS
Note: Each Question carries 10 marks.
7. What is pricing policy? What are the internal and external factors of the policy? 8. Mention three crucial objectives of price policies 9. Mention the bases of price discrimination. 10. What do you mean by the fiscal policy? What are the instruments of fiscal policy? Briefly comment on
India’s fiscal policy. 11. Comment on the consequences of environmental degradation on the economy of a community. 12. Write short notes on the following: a) Philips curve B) Stagflation
Master of Business Administration-MBA Semester 1 MB0027 – HRM - 4 Credits (Book ID: B0909) Assignment Set- 1 (60 Marks) Note: Each question carries 10 Marks. Answer all the questions. Q.1 Write a short note on Hawthorne Studies. Q.3 Elaborate the HR planning System Q.4 Discuss the Multiple Person Evaluation Methods. Q.5 Write a note on different theories for Managing Compensation  Q.6 Write the advantages and limitations of Job Evaluation Method.    
Q.2 Trace the growth of Trade Union Movement from Factories Act 1881 to Factories Act 1948. 
Master of Business Administration-MBA Semester 1 MB0027 – HRM - 4 Credits (Book ID: B0909) Assignment Set- 2 (60 Marks)
Note: Each question carries 10 Marks. Answer all the questions. Q.1 Mention and briefly explain different sources of recruitment.  Q.2 Write a note on guided and unguided interview Q.3 Discuss the techniques to motivate employees. Q.4 Explain in detail the disciplinary –Action Penalties. Q.5 Explain the importance of grievance handling Q.6 Explain Managerial grid in detail.