Disability Support

1 | Disability Support •
Disability Support Handbook
William Angliss Institute is committed to encouraging and promoting equal opportunity
in education and employment for students.
The Disability Support Office provides support to William Angliss students with a disability,
mental health or medical condition.
You can register with us at any time before or during your studies at William Angliss.
Enquiries are also welcome from students’ families and friends, case managers, teachers
or other staff.
Please contact the Disability Support Office to learn more about the services that may
be available to you.
Call: 9606 2232 or 0434 604 723
Email: disability@angliss.edu.au
Visit: Building C | Level 2 | Room C204
Website: http://www.angliss.edu.au/Current-Students
Services available
• advice and developing a learning
plan before your course starts
• enrolment assistance
• assistance with your studies
and assignments
• advising teachers of your learning needs,
and advising them about reasonable
adjustments they can make in their
teaching and assessments
• support workers in class and during
assessments (note-takers, scribes,
participation assistants)
• interpreters
• adaptive technology, such as
Read and Write Gold 8
• modifications to resources, equipment
and furniture customised to meet
your individual needs
• alternative formatting, such as
enlarged print or electronic files
• recording of classes and lectures
• guidance throughout your course
• learning/study plans
• advocacy.
Follow Student Support Services: www.facebook.com/ssswai
• Handbook 2013 | 2
Disclosure and confidentiality
Disclosure is a dilemma most students with a disability and/or health condition face, and
one which presents a number of challenges and choices. It is important to remember
that staff from Disability services can only provide assistance if you inform them of your
disability and/or health condition.
However, you can decide what information you would like to give to the course convenors
and other academic staff. You are not required to disclose anything about your disability
and/or health condition.
A student’s right to privacy and respect is important and all information given to the
Disability Support team is kept confidential. Students’ permission is always obtained
before disclosing information to or seeking information from a third party.
Disability eligibility
William Angliss offers learning support to all students. To be eligible to receive some higher
levels of support, such as a support worker in class, students must provide documentation
to support a diagnosis of their disability. Eligible students include:
• people with physical disabilities
• people with learning disabilities
• people with acquired brain injury
• people with mental health issues
• people with visual impairment
• people who are deaf or hearing impaired
• people with intellectual disabilities
• people with medical conditions
Injuries and temporary disability
Students who have been injured or have become seriously unwell during their studies
may be eligible for assistance from the Disability Support team and to receive help with
assessments and tests.
• Handbook 2013 | 3
Disability support needs
When a student first contacts us, we have an individual interview to evaluate the student’s
needs. The Disability Liaison Officer meets with the student, teachers and/or other relevant
staff to determine the support required.
Before this interview, students need to:
1. Think about the supports which have assisted them before in their studies
(for example, help during high school).
2. Gather any medical documentation (such as reports or testing) about their
disability or condition, if they have any, and bring it along
3. Decide if they would like to bring a family member, friend, case worker or
another person to the interview.
Support will be reviewed as studies progress, and changes can be made if necessary.
We aim to ensure students have equal opportunity to participate in training, and to
encourage students to be as independent as possible in their learning.
Student rights and responsibilities
Students with disability have a right to:
• equal opportunity to participate fully in courses and programs
• reasonable adjustments to meet their needs.
• specialised services that allow them to participate.
Along with other students they also have a right to:
• be treated with dignity and respect
• an environment which is free from discrimination, harassment or victimisation.
However, students also have a responsibility to:
• make contact with WAI and be willing to discuss their requirements
if they require reasonable adjustments
• share responsibility in negotiating adjustments
• use the services provided in an honest and fair manner
• work with Disability Support team to review support and provide feedback.
• Handbook 2013 | 4
Staff rights and responsibilities
Staff have a responsibility to:
• consult with the student to determine what adjustments if any are required
and whether any changes are needed during the student’s course
• make any required adjustments in a timely manner
• take reasonable steps to ensure that the student is able to enrol, participate in learning
experiences and use facilities and services on the same basis as any other student
• take reasonable steps to facilitate the provision of any specialist services
that the student requires (see Reasonable Adjustment
• develop and implement strategies and programs to prevent harassment
or victimisation of the student
and have a right to:
• maintain the academic requirements of the course
• request information about the student’s disability and requirements
if that information is relevant to the student’s learning and participation
• be treated with dignity and respect
Contents of this section have been adapted in part from the ADCET factsheet Rights
and Responsibilities of Staff and Students.
• Handbook 2013 | 5
Learning Resource Centre (LRC) services
for people with disabilities
WAI Learning Resource Centre (library) aims to provide the service which ensures equal
access and educational opportunities for students with disabilities. To be eligible for the
service, you need to register with the Disability Liaison Officer (as described above). Once
this happens, you can make a booking with the LRC disability liaison co-ordinator.
LRC staff can assist you with:
• checking the library catalogue
• searching databases, electronic journals or web browsing
• retrieving items from the shelves
• making photocopies, printing documents, use of scanner
• borrowing, reserving LRC items
• organising Inter-library loans.
In addition, the disability liaison co-ordinator can:
• meet with you to discuss your individual needs
• provide and help with assistive technology software, including:
1. Read & Write Gold Mobile (USB Pen) for text reading and literacy help
2. access features in Microsoft Office programs
• provide materials in alternative formats where possible.
• Handbook 2013 | 6
Learning Advisors
Learning Advisors give students extra support with their studies and are available for
individual appointments (which must be booked in advance) or during ‘Drop-in’ sessions
which run every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, in the LRC, between 10am-1pm.
All students can access Learning Advisors. Contact them on (03) 9606 2407, (03) 9606
2426 or (03) 9606 2574, you can also email them learningadvisors@angliss.edu.au
Learning support services available to William Angliss Institute students include:
• study skills
• writing and planning for assessments
• understanding assignments and course work
• English grammar and expression and other literacy issues
• time and study management
• numeracy and finance
• transition services
• accessing resources.
Counselling and Personal Development Centre
Staff at the William Angliss Counselling and Personal Development Centre provide
students with free and confidential counselling services to discuss any issues which may
be affecting their ability to study. The counsellors are registered psychologists with special
training in counselling and educational psychology.
To contact counsellors or to make an appointment, go to counselling@angliss.edu or
call 9606 2210.
Senior Counsellor: Lydia Brnovic
For more information, refer to their services, go to
• Handbook 2013 | 7
Getting to WAI and other facilities:
• Wheelchair access is available to most areas of the Institute
• Car park spaces – 1 space on WAI visitors’ car park near LRC entrance. Please call
Reception on 9606 5102. Car parking is also available on Little Lonsdale Street.
• Fully accessible toilets
• Hearing aid loop – lecture theatre EG 17, Building A
• Please contact us for a copy of the WAI map
Disability Action Plan
William Angliss Institute is committed to encouraging and promoting equal opportunity
in education and employment for students and staff.
You can find the Disability Action Plan on the William Angliss website,
Reasonable adjustment
Reasonable adjustment refers to measures or actions taken to provide a student with
a disability the same educational opportunities as everyone else. To be reasonable,
adjustments must be appropriate for that person, must not create undue hardship for a
RTO and must be allowable within rules defined by the training package.
• Handbook 2013 | 8
Frequently asked questions:
I have a disability. What sort of support can I get?
Disabilities range from physical disabilities, visual, deaf or hearing impairments, acquired
brain injury, learning disabilities, mental health issues, intellectual disabilities or medical
conditions. If you have a disability it is recommended that you meet with the Disability
Liaison Officer in Building C, Level 2, Room C205 or call on 9606 2232 or email
disability@angliss.edu.au to discuss your needs.
Support may include:
• support worker assistance in class
• help with studies and assignments
• interpreters
• note takers
• readers
• adaptive technology, e.g. smart phone apps
• advocacy.
Will I have full support?
During the first meeting we assess your needs and see what support we are able
to provide.
Please note that while we aim to provide as much support as we can, we can’t always
provide 100% support. There can be times when we cannot have a support worker assist
you in class. If this is the case we will be in contact with you as soon as we can.
As you progress through your course, your support needs may also change. You can
discuss any changes you feel need to be made with the Disability Liaison Officer,
at any time.
Outside of class, it is possible to seek the help of Learning Advisors at the LRC on the
ground floor of Building C, Room CG09.
Can I change support e.g. from full time to part time or I need support
in the kitchen?
You can decide how much support can be made available to you in discussion with the
DLO. These arrangements can be altered as you progress through your course. Support
can begin at any stage of your course, but it is best to seek help as soon as possible, if you
feel that you may need some assistance.
• Handbook 2013 | 9
What will my support worker do in class?
Support workers are there to guide and assist so please listen to their suggestions.
Support workers may take notes in class for you to use as study guides/revision tools.
Support workers cannot do ‘hands on’ work during assessments. However, they may do
limited ‘hands on’ work at other times, for example to demonstrate something. Remember
they are not there to do the work for you, but to help you to do the work for yourself.
Work as independently as possible However, if you do genuinely feel your support is not
providing you with appropriate attention, please speak to the DLO about your concerns.
You can contact me (Carol) on 0434 604 723 or 9606 2232 or carolm@angliss.edu.au
What do I do if I am sick/running late/going to be absent/going
on a class excursion/ have a class cancelled?
If any of the above things occur, you need to inform the DLO (Carol) ASAP, on
0434 604 723 or 9606 2232. Or by email: carolm@angliss.edu.au. It is a good idea to
contact your teacher as well if you are sick or running late.
Support workers can only go into class if you are present. If you are late, they will not
start without you. Please contact DLO if you are running more than 10 minutes late.
If you have any excursions it is essential that you let me know in advance. Please note that
support workers are not able to go on excursions and field trips.
My timetable/teacher has changed, what do I need to do?
Let the DLO (Carol, ext: 2232) know any changes to your timetable, such as time changes,
room changes etc. Please give as much notice as possible. This way your support worker
can meet you in the right place.
I need to supply health or medical evidence. Where can I get it?
It is best to initially ask your family for any medical records or doctor’s letters. Otherwise,
you can ask your own family doctor to provide a report or documentation of your
medical condition. We can also provide you with information on how to get the evidence
that you need.
• Handbook 2013 | 10
I am having problems doing my homework, assessments
and reports. I need help
Remember there are many ways to get help with your studies, for example, from your
teacher, Learning advisors, from assistive technology and family or friends. If you are
unsure about the work you need to do you can first of all email or talk to your teacher
about the problems you are having and they may be able to assist you. The Disability
Liaison Officer can also help you have these discussions with teachers, if required.
Disability support workers can only assist you during class time – they are not available
to tutor you outside these times. Please seek help from learning advisors, teachers
or the DLO.
Go to your MyWAI portal and go to services area in the drop box, select Disability support
on this page, on the top right hand corner you will find documents, click on that link and
you may find useful study plans and helpful hints as well.
What is a SSA form and who gets my SSA form?
SSA (Student Support Arrangement) forms contain useful and specific information about
your requirements and strategies that can be used to assist you in your study. SSA forms
are given out to your teachers, support workers, learning advisors and anyone who needs
to assist you. Only information that you consent to release will be used.
What funding is out there for me?
• Government funding
• DAAWS assistance
• Scholarships -Sir William Angliss Scholarship fund.
I am finding my course too much for me, I think I want to
cancel from class
Before you do please talk to your Program Leader as you do have other options:
• unit withdrawal(s)
• go to part-time
• course deferment
• change to another course at WAI.
It is important that you talk to your Program Leader or DLO or Counsellor, as they
may be able to assist you.
• Handbook 2013 | 11
• Handbook 2013 | 12
Campus Map
Teaching Departments & Services Locations
Program Areas/Services Location Contact Number
Angliss Travel Building A | Level 3 (03) 9606 2715
Bookshop Building B | Level 1 (03) 9606 2136
Careers and Employment Building C | Level 1 (03) 9606 2137
Centre for Food Trades and Culinary Arts Building D | E (03) 9606 2118
Entertainment Operations Building B | Level 3 (03) 9606 2171
Event Management Building B | Level 3 (03) 9606 2127
Higher Education (HE)/Degree Building A | Level 3 (03) 9606 2216
Hospitality Building A | Level 4 (03) 9606 2343
Information Centre Building A | Ground Floor (03) 9606 2543
International Office Building B | Ground Floor (03) 9606 2318
Learning Resource Centre (LRC) Building C | Ground Floor (03) 9606 2237
Resort Management Building B | Level 3 (03) 9606 2206/2395
Student Activities/The Lounge Building C | Level 1 (03) 9606 2473
Tourism Building B | Level 3 (03) 9606 2326/2127
Youth Learning Building C | Level 1 (03) 9606 2389
Please see our web page at www.angliss.ed.au/Campus-Map for a larger version of the
map with additional information.
2720-V2 0513
555 La Trobe Street
Melbourne Victoria 3000

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful