This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
TERMINAL EXAMINATION I
AP 9212- ADVANCED DIGITAL SYSTEM DESIGN
Date: 19.10.2012 Session: AN
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 100
PART A (10×02=20 MARKS)
ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
1. State the difference between Mealy and Moore state machine.
2. What are the basic building blocks of an ASM chart?
3. List few applications of iterative circuits.
4. What are the steps for the design of asynchronous sequential circuit?
5. What are races and cycles?
6. What is a Static hazard? Give example.
7. What is the most important consideration in making state assignments for asynchronous
8. What are the two modes of operation of an Asynchronous sequential machine?
9. What are the assumptions made for pulse mode circuit?
10. Define Essential hazard.
PART B (5X16=80 MARKS)
ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
11. (a). (i) With an example explain the state assignment rules. (6)
(ii) Determine the minimal state equivalent of the state table given using Implication chart.
11. (b). Design a serial adder using mealy model and Moore model. Also draw the ASM chart for both the
12. (a) A Moore sequential network has one input and one output. The output should be 1 if the total
number of 1’s received is odd and the total number of 0’s received is an even number greater than
0. Derive the state graph and table. (16)
12. (b) Design a Fundamental mode asynchronous sequential network meeting the following
(i) There are 2 inputs xl and x2 and single output z.
(ii) The inputs xl and x2 never change simultaneously
(iii) An output z = 1 is to occur only during the input state xlx2 = 01 and if input state xlx2 = 01 is
preceded by input sequence x1x2 = 01,00, 10,00,10,00. (16)
13(a) .Construct a state table, excitation table and state graph for the circuit. Is this a Mealy or Moore
13. (b). Design a negative edge triggered T flip-Flop. The circuit has two inputs T and C and one
output Q. The output state is complemented if T = 1 and the clock C changes from 1 to 0.
Otherwise, under any other input conditions the output Q remains unchanged. (16)
14. (a). Explain the design steps involved in the realization of ASM. (16)
14. (b). Design a vending machine controller with suitable circuits. (16)
15. (a).Design an asynchronous sequential circuit with two inputs X and Y and with one output
Whenever Y is 1, input X is transferred to Z. When Y is 0, the output does not change for any
change in X. (16)
15. (b)How can essential hazards be determined and eliminated from a network? (16)