This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Students should be allowed to study without worrying about grades. Fortunately, most educators are becoming aware of the fact that students have different interests and abilities. However, the regimentation resulting from grades still exists. Grades often stifle creativity. Competing for better grades causes many students to turn down opportunities to pursue music, dramatics and sports. Grades impose an arbitrary standard of success on everyone. I do not demand as some extremists do, that grades be abolished immediately. However, I do believe that less emphasis should be placed on grades. I hope that someday grades will become optional at Village High School. Magdalena Smith, President, Drama Club Let's face the facts about grades. Grades perform three basic functions. First, grades motivate students to work at their highest level of competence. Second, they act as a reward for hardworking students and as a reprimand to students who do not work hard. Finally, grades are used as an effective standard by which to measure student achievement. Good grades help students to get jobs and to get into university. I've spoken with a number of students who have jobs, and most of them say that they were hired primarily on the basis of their grades. My grades helped me land a part-time job and will help me get into university next year. I think grades are extremely important at Village High School. Simon Harper, Member, Science Club 1. Simon Harper writes from the viewpoint of someone who (a) wants business to hire more students (b) believes in the benefits of good grades (c) is concerned about students' creativity (d) supports students' interests and abilities (e) doesn't work too hard at his studies 2. Magdalena Smith thinks it is important for (a) students to get good jobs (b) students to participate in music, dramatics, and sports (c) students to compete more for grades (d) educators to have more control over grades (e) students to be reprimanded for not working hard 3. Which of the following states a fact about grades at Village High School? (a) They are not useful (b) They stifle creativity (c) They foster unnecessary competition (d) They should be optional (e) They are currently in use 4. Which of the following is NOT an opinion expressed by Magdalena Smith? (a) Grades should be abolished. (b) Regimentation results from grades. (c) Grades impose arbitrary standards of success. (d) Students should be able to learn without worrying about grades. (e) Competition may discourage students from pursuing subjects such as drama and art.
1. Germany is _____ bigger than Italy. a) (no word – write Ø) b) more c) the d) most 2. Iwona is _____ best student in the class. a) a b) an c) the d) (no word – write Ø) 3. I _____ some chocolate in my bag. a) has b) have c) doesn’t have d) don’t have 4. How _____ money is there in the bank?
5. I _____ drive a car at six years old but now I drive all the time. a) can b) could c) can’t d) couldn’t 6. _____ you fly to France last year? a) Did b) Was c) Were d) Do 7. Last night I _____ spaghetti. a) eat b) eaten c) ate d) eating 8. My TV is old. I _____ buy another one. a) should b) would c) could d) couldn’t 9. The weather is getting hotter _____. a) usually b) today c) sometimes d) never 10. They didn’t see David at work _____ Monday. a) in b) at c) on d) with 11. Where _____ the exam yesterday. a) did b) do c) was d) is 12. Julio _____ his car when the bus hit him. a) was parking b) parked c) parks d) is parking 13. Did you hear the new song by the Matches on _____ radio last night? a) an b) (no word – write Ø) c) the d) a 14. Osteopaths are doctors _____ people with back problems. a) they help b) help c) who they help d) who help 15. How many exams _____ this year? a) do you take b) have you taken c) is you take d) did you taking 16. There have been eight accidents _____. a) in the last few days b) yesterday c) last year d) on November 12th
17. The Copper Kettle is the _____ restaurant in the town. The meals are so cheap. a) more expensive b) most expensive c) less expensive d) least expensive 18. There are very _____ tomatoes in the shop. I’ll have more tomorrow. a) little b) many c) few d) much 19. There _____ rain tomorrow. a) won’t b) might be c) definitely is 20. This lesson is so _____. a) bored b) bore c) boring d) bores 21. At the end of the year, the hospital _____ to open a new surgery. a) like b) are hoping c) going d) will 22. _____ live in London? a) Was David used b) Did David used to c) Did David use d) Was David used to d) may will
23. Chicken with chocolate _____ by Mexican people. a) eats b) is eating c) is eaten d) are eaten
24. The hotel _____ this weekend for a wedding. a) is closing b) is going close c) is close d) will be close 25. The Lexington Murderer _____ from prison last week. a) was released b) was releasing c) did release d) released 26. How long _____ for the exam this week. a) you have studied b) you studied c) were you studied d) have you been studying
27. If the newspaper sold more adverts they _____ more money. a) will make b) makes c) can make d) would make 28. The exploration team _____ from the Arctic on the 5th of November. a) got up b) got back c) got down d) got round 29. _____ dinner already? a) Will you eat b) Do you eat c) Have you eaten d) Were you eat
30. For the last six weeks the astronauts _____ to travel to Mars. a) have waited b) were waiting c) waited d) have been waiting 31. I don’t think the government _____ to the proposal. a) are going to agree b) is agreeing c) might agree d) are agreeing 32. The police had no evidence against John so they _____. a) permitting him to go b) let him go c) allows him to go d) give him permission to go 33. If I _____ you I _____ the proposal. a) were / would endorse b) am / will endorse c) be / would endorse d) was / will endorse
34. While my manager _____ the delegates, I prepared the coffee. a) was meeting b) meets c) has met d) has been meeting 35. The second world war was not _____ as the first world war. a) so long b) much longer c) the longest d) as long 36. The project needs further _____ before we can agree on a budget. a) develop b) development c) developing d) developer 37. By the age of 23, Steve _____ in twelve countries. a) was living b) has lived c) lived d) had lived
38. When _____ you born?
a) was b) are c) were d) is
39. Her name is Jane and she _____ British.
a) be b) are a) do he c) am d) is b) does he c) are he d) is he c) Are you ever going d) the oldest d) Have you ever been
40. What _____ look like? 41. _____ to London? Yes, I have.
a) Did you ever go a) more old b) Will you ever go c) older d) who
42. She is _____ than her sister.
b) much old
43. Is he the man _____ wife is a banker?
a) whoseb) whichc) that
44. He _____ by the management yesterday.
a) fired b) was fired c) is fired d) did fire c) will start d) has asked d) will leaving c) won’t work d) am not working d) is starting
45. By the time she arrives, the film _____.
a) will have started a) have asked a) leave b) is going to start c) was asked c) leaving
46. If my brother _____ me, I would have lent him my car.
b) had asked b) will leave
47. I am _____ tomorrow. 48. If only I ____!
a) didn’t have to work a) was a) shout a) in b) on b) were c) am b) yell c) by b) haven’t worked d) be c) tell d) at b) mind c) sightseeing c) busy c) heart d) holiday d) careful c) valuable c) gets d) flirt d) to d) costume c) had been reading c) hasn’t said c) haven’t been d) has been reading d) writes d) great d) feeling d) say
49. If I _____ you, I would leave him alone. 50. I am going to _____ her tomorrow. 51. I never watch TV _____ Sundays. 52. The new price should be taken into _____.
a) consideration a) travel b) joyride a) cheerful a) memorable a) does a) fly a) for b) flip b) in
53. He quit his job and went on _____. 54. Ross is a really _____ person. He’s never sad.
b) boring b) unforgettable b) has c) flock c) at
55. It was an _____ experience! 56. Layla never _____ her homework. 57. Birds of a feather _____ together. 58. I’m hopeless _____ chess. 59. She is invited to a _____ dress party.
a) funny b) fancy c) expensive a) was reading a) hadn’t said a) hadn’t been b) had read b) hadn’t told b) weren’t
60. Maria _____ a book when her mum entered the room. 61. I wish I _____ him about the wedding.
d) hasn’t told d) wasn’t
62. If they _____arrested, they would have robbed the bank.
63. Where is my umbrella? You must _____ it in the office.
a) had left a) which b) who a) will have moved a) for a) little a) is a) have a) makesb) does a) switch off a) rabbits a) accepted a) fulfilled a) lend a) crash a) did write a) got a) know b) from b) left c) leave c) whosed) that b) will be movingc) will move c) since b) a little b) is being c) few d) at d) a few d) had been d) make a d) doing d) switch over d) stones d) confessed d) are moving d) have left
64. Sue claims she is going out with Born, _____ I find hard to believe. 65. They _____ to Berlin by the end of the month, so they won’t be here for your party. 66. I’ve been learning German _____ Christmas. 67. He is really shy. He’s got _____ friends. 68. The meal _____ cooked at the moment.
c) has been c) do a
69. They sometimes _____ walk in the park.
b) go for a
70. My sister always _____ my bed in the morning.
c) prepares b) switch in b) dogs b) refused b) did b) owe b) splashc) crush b) wrote c) did wrote c) get
71. Remember to _____ the TV when you go out.
c) switch out c) socks c) rejected
72. It’s raining cats and _____. 73. She _____ to having stolen the money. 74. He _____ his ambition to travel in space.
c) won d) persuaded c) borrow d) touch d) was wrote d) rent
75. You know you _____ me an explanation, don’t you? 76. Can I _____ at your place tonight? It’s too late to go home now. 77. Who _____ Harry Potter? 78. I will text you when I _____ there.
b) will get b) knew d) getting c) known d) knows d) lives she d) you smoke
79. Had I _____ the truth, I would have done something. 80. Can you tell me where _____?
a) does she lives b) does she live c) she lives
81. I’d rather _____ in here.
a) you didn’t smoke b) you weren’t smoke c) you aren’t smoking
82. I’m so thirsty! If only Mike _____ all the water in the fridge!
a) wasn’t drinking a) have you run b) didn’t drink c) hadn’t drunk d) hasn’t drunk d) have you being run d) not have paid attention
83. You are all sweaty. _____?
b) have you been running c) have you running b) not to paying attention c) to not pay attention c) neither they aren’t d) sleeping
84. I regret _____ in class.
a) not paying attention a) nor are they a) have slept a) on b) at
85. Our relatives aren’t very rich, and _____ particularly smart.
b) either they aren’t b) slept c) in d) to c) wherever c) do a c) take me up d) raid c) mind c) burgled c) contrived c) deceived c) TM d) opinion d) shoplifted d) gripping d) disheartened d) GM d) whoever d) do d) take up me d) neither did they be
86. The hotel was awful. I’d rather _____ in a tent.
c) had slept
87. Stop shouting _____ me! 88. Lucy is really helpful. She is ready to help _____ you ask her.
a) whichever a) have a a) pick up me a) lift b) drive b) whenever b) have b) pick me up c) car b) question b) mugged b) amazing b) annihilated b) IBM
89. I rarely _____ breakfast at weekends. 90. Can you _____ after school? 91. I’m terribly late. Can you give me a _____? 92. Last night’s discussion has definitely given him some food for_____.
a) thought a) trespassed a) fascinating a) flattered a) PM
93. He’s been _____ on his way to work. 94. I enjoyed the film, but felt the ending was a bit _____. 95. The company _____ customers by selling old computers as new ones. 96. There have been several big campaigns against the use of _____ foods recently.
97. I can’t afford to go on holiday. I’m _____.
a) broke b) broken c) shattered d) drained
1. When _____ you born? c) were 2. Her name is Jane and she _____ British. d) is 3. What _____ look like? b) does he 4. _____ to London? Yes, I have. d) Have you ever been 5. She is _____ than her sister. c) older 6. Is he the man _____ wife is a banker? a) whose 7. He _____ by the management yesterday. b) was fired 8. By the time she arrives, the film _____. a) will have started 9. If my brother _____ me, I would have lent him my car. b) had asked 10. I am _____ tomorrow. c) leaving 11. If only I ____! a) didn’t have to work 12. If I _____ you, I would leave him alone. b) were 13. I am going to _____ her tomorrow. c) tell 14. I never watch TV _____ Sundays. b) on 15. The new price should be taken into _____. a) consideration 16. He quit his job and went on _____. d) holiday 17. Ross is a really _____ person. He’s never sad. a) cheerful 18. It was an _____ experience! b) unforgettable 19. Layla never _____ her homework. a) does 20. Birds of a feather _____
together. c) flock 21. I’m hopeless _____ chess. c) at 22. She is invited to a _____ dress party. b) fancy 23. Maria _____ a book when her mum entered the room. a) was reading 24. I wish I _____ him about the wedding. b) hadn’t told 25. If they _____arrested, they would have robbed the bank. a) hadn’t been 26. Where is my umbrella? You must _____ it in the office. d) have left 27. Sue claims she is going out with Born, _____ I find hard to believe. a) which 28. They _____ to Berlin by the end of the month, so they won’t be here for your party. a) will have moved 29. I’ve been learning German _____ Christmas. c) since 30. He is really shy. He’s got _____ friends. c) few 31. The meal _____ cooked at the moment. b) is being 32. They sometimes _____ walk in the park. b) go for a 33. My sister always _____ my bed in the morning. a) makes 34. Remember to _____ the TV when you go out. a) switch off 35. It’s raining cats and _____. b) dogs 36. She _____ to having
stolen the money. d) confessed 37. He _____ his ambition to travel in space. a) fulfilled 38. You know you _____ me an explanation, don’t you? b) owe 39. Can I _____ at your place tonight? It’s too late to go home now. a) crash 40. Who _____ Harry Potter? b) wrote 41. I will text you when I _____ there. c) get 42. Had I _____ the truth, I would have done something. c) known 43. Can you tell me where _____? c) she lives 44. I’d rather _____ in here. a) you didn’t smoke 45. I’m so thirsty! If only Mike _____ all the water in the fridge! c) hadn’t drunk 46. You are all sweaty. _____? b) have you been running 47. I regret _____ in class. a) not paying attention 48. Our relatives aren’t very rich, and _____ particularly smart. a) nor are they 49. The hotel was awful. I’d rather _____ in a tent. a) have slept 50. Stop shouting _____ me! b) at 51. Lucy is really helpful. She is ready to help _____ you ask her. b) whenever 52. I rarely _____ breakfast at weekends. b) have 53. Can you _____ after school? b) pick me up
54. I’m terribly late. Can you give me a _____? a) lift 55. Last night’s discussion has definitely given him some food for_____. a) thought 56. He’s been _____ on his way to work. b) mugged 57. I enjoyed the film, but felt the ending was a bit _____. c) contrived 58. The company _____ customers by selling old computers as new ones. c) deceived 59. There have been several big campaigns against the use of _____ foods recently. d) GM 60. I can’t afford to go on holiday. I’m _____. a) broke
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue listening from where you left off, or restart the preview.