You are on page 1of 66

This document details the processes and activities

undertaken and involved in the organisation of the


design of a Caf extension for Shebbear Village Hall
Community Group. The document also explains and
refects upon the organisation and results of the Ver-
tical Team Project engagement. Included are the
designs generated during the VTP and the subse-
quent collaborative design, this is expanded into a
detailed Architects and Contractors Programme,
Brief and Costing, calculated from Building Regula-
tions drawings.
Project Size ~ 40sqm
Project Estimated Cost ~ 36,000 (900/sqm)
Contents
3 - Introduction
4 - Project Brief
8 - VTP Summary
9 - Team and Project Management
10 - Design Summary
17 - Costing
22 - Programme of Work
25 - Conclusion
26 - Appendix 26 - Diary of Key Work Undertaken
27 - Client Correspondence Record
36 - Presentation Shebbear College
49 - Student Brief for VTP
56 - Project Photos
57 - Student Design Summary
60 - Feedback Form For Group B
61 - VTP Instructions For Zhisheng Mao
62 - Register of Attendance
64 - References
65 - Bibliography
2
Introduction
This project was appointed through recommendation of
services from Robert Brown of Plymouth University. The point
of contact, Rebecca Weale, is a representative of the
Shebbear Village Hall Community Group whom requires
a Cafe extension to be constructed from the South-West
elevation of the existing Village Hall.
The Cafe will be used as a multi-functional space intended
to accommodate standard cafe usage for around 10
seated internally, as well as work as a wedding reception
bar and a craft activity room. This appeared to be a fairly
straightforward project with a clear brief. However the
complexity increased as a result of the funding conditions.
The funding is to come from various sources including the
National Lottery. The conditions of the funding depend
partly upon community involvement in the design process.
This requires additional services including the involvement
of the 5th and 6th Form students of Shebbear College with
local knowledge and potential future custom to the cafe,
this was to be run in conjunction with the design skills of the
BA Architecture Students of Plymouth University.
The initial target budget of this project was originally
intended to be 20,000, however the realistic achievable
square metre area was insuffcient for the client needs.
(900
i
/20,000 = 22.2sqm) (NSBRC, 2013) and a fgure
based upon an aspired 40sqm (36,000) was decided
upon.
Due to the requirement of providing an exact fgure when
applying for lump-sum grant funding, it will be necessary
to draw up speculative Building Regulations drawings from
which to cost the project prior to applying for planning
permission. The Client has been recommended to make
a speculative planning application and contact the local
Planning department prior to applying for the funding.
The client is aware that Zhisheng Mao and Myself are
currently unqualifed and are likely to make some errors.
This is understood and will be refected in our hourly rate.
Owing to the lack of immediate funds and the limited
budget for payment, an hourly rate of payment (36/hr)
will be charged due to the uncertain hours required to run
the VTP and potential reworking of Building Regulations
Drawings post-Planning. Calculations in Brief
i
- Considered for a Timber Frame construction completed at low cost.
(NSBRC, 2013)
3
Project Brief
The following is the brief initially outlined from meetings with
the client, completed on the 16th December 2013. It also
details the actions required to organise and arrange the
VTP.
The brief is one of the most important parts of an architectural
project, it aims to summarise what the client needs so that
the architect is not subjected to un-projected volumes
of work and so that the client can know exactly what to
expect from the Architect. (Chappel, D., Willis, A., 2010, pp.
161)
The BA students and Shebbear students were emailed a
copy of the fnal brief on the 6th of January 2014. The fnal
brief is available to view in the appendix and explains the
requirements and objectives to be actioned during the
VTP.
The payment decision to charge per hour was made due
to the uncertainty of the requirement of work level for the
project as well as the projects relatively low total value.
The value of 36 per hour was deduced due to the minimal
overheads in this freelance-style project, considering the
level of experience between Zhisheng Mao and Myself, and
providing suffcient income for Pre-Part 2 level Architecture
Students. It was also based upon an estimate of 12%
(inspired by, but not deduced from the now withdrawn
RIBA indicative Fee Scales still used by many architectural
companies today, examples still available to view from
BHB Architects (2003) as a Pdf.) of estimated building costs
divided by the estimated number of hours (120 hours,
based upon personal experience for drawing hours and
agreed VTP time estimations discussed with the client).
Estimated Hours: 120
Estimated Cost: 36,000
12% of Estimated Cost = 4320
4320 / 120 = Hourly Rate
Hourly Rate = 36
4
Outline Project Description:
To design an extension to the West side of the existing Village Hall, the
extension is to be used as a Community Caf
Additional Project Requirements:
Site Survey of West side to be added to existing plans
Description of Site Functions:
Public space, to function as a separate entity to the existing structure, as
well as in conjunction with for the hosting of functions:
Wedding receptions
Bar
Caf
Group meetings
Arts and Crafts activities
Estimated Square Metres: 40sqm (900/sqm x 40 = 36,000 estimate)
(NSBRC, 2013)
Design Restrictions:
The design must emanate from the existing window (fgure 1), that is
to be taken down to foor level to provide the main access level to the
building
The Existing disabled ramp must be removed and redirected (fgure 2)
Views must be provided to the children's play area (fgure 3)
The building must contain suffcient storage for caf facilities and Bar
equipment
The caf must seat 12 people minimum internally
Building Finishes:
Existing ongoing horizontally clad structure on the site, proposed caf to
match
Roofng will be to match the existing grey trapezoidal corrugated metal
Internal foor is requested to be timber similar to match the existing hall
foor
Project Brief
The following is the brief initially outlined from meetings with
the client, completed on the 16th December 2013. It also
details the actions required to organise and arrange the
VTP.
The brief is one of the most important parts of an architectural
project, it aims to summarise what the client needs so that
the architect is not subjected to un-projected volumes
of work and so that the client can know exactly what to
expect from the Architect. (Chappel, D., Willis, A., 2010, pp.
161)
The BA students and Shebbear students were emailed a
copy of the fnal brief on the 6th of January 2014. The fnal
brief is available to view in the appendix and explains the
requirements and objectives to be actioned during the
VTP.
The payment decision to charge per hour was made due
to the uncertainty of the requirement of work level for the
project as well as the projects relatively low total value.
The value of 36 per hour was deduced due to the minimal
overheads in this freelance-style project, considering the
level of experience between Zhisheng Mao and Myself, and
providing suffcient income for Pre-Part 2 level Architecture
Students. It was also based upon an estimate of 12%
(inspired by, but not deduced from the now withdrawn
RIBA indicative Fee Scales still used by many architectural
companies today, examples still available to view from
BHB Architects (2003) as a Pdf.) of estimated building costs
divided by the estimated number of hours (120 hours,
based upon personal experience for drawing hours and
agreed VTP time estimations discussed with the client).
Estimated Hours: 120
Estimated Cost: 36,000
12% of Estimated Cost = 4320
4320 / 120 = Hourly Rate
Hourly Rate = 36
5
Fig 1 Fig 2 Fig 3
Estimated Budget:
Undisclosed fgure, nominally between 30-40k, to be paid for by means of
grant from The National Lottery and other funds.
Method of Payment for Design Services:
Standard Rate of 36.00/hr
The project will be community design led as part of the fnancial
acquisition agreement, this requires co-operation with local Shebbear
College students and the Bachelor Architecture students from Plymouth
University.
Additional Liaison:
Shebbear College
Vertical Team Project Plymouth University
Shebbear College:
Contact to be made through Rebecca Weale
Agree the dates of 9th and 10th of January with the school to conform
with the allocated days set by Plymouth University, arrange transport
Dietary reqs. and timings. Arrange a risk assessment for the project (Louise
Kent, PU)
Thursday 9th January
Develop a list of objectives to be completed by the Shebbear students
at the site to be joined by two members of the BArch team. Tasks must
inspire students towards future Architectural studies. Supervised by BP
Friday 10th January
Arrange for Shebbear students to travel to and from the University of
Plymouth
Plymouth University:
Thursday 9th January
Arrange and brief two BA students to accompany BP to Shebbear Village
Hall and College Premises
Develop a list of precedent studies and research for the remaining
BArch students on the 9th to be undertaken on University premises equip
them with general site information and imagery to focus their research,
supervised by ZM
6
Friday 10th January
Arrange design activities in fve groups to include input from the designs
produced previously by the Shebbear students, task them to produce fve
separate proposals by 13:00 to be assessed and judged by staff of the
University
Proposed Programme Summary:
- Complete designs with agreement of client prior to planning application,
develop from VTP work
- Make amendments where necessary to satisfy both the clients needs
and the desires of the planning dept.
- Post planning, develop building regulations drawings, consultation with
an engineer where required
- Liaise with local BCO to confrm that the building designs conform with
current construction standards
- Tender to fabrication companies to build and install the separate com-
ponents of the building. Confrm timescales and labour availability
- Confrm fnancial backing from the client and arrange a construction
timetable.
Costing:
Timber frame construction estimated to cost between 900-1,100 per
square metre (NSBRC, 2013)
Project estimated to be 40 square metres
Total initial cost estimation: 36,000 - 44,000
The project will aim to fall towards the lower end of the cost scale
To Note: ZH = Zhisheng Mao
BP = Ben Pitcher
BCO = Building Control Offcer
VTP = Vertical Team Project
7
VTP Summary
On Thursday the 9th of January 2014 Ben Pitcher travelled with two BA
students to Shebbear to work with the selected students to measure
the existing building, draw up CAD plans for the site and attempt
preliminary designs and ideas for the project.
Zhisheng Mao was included in deciding the day plan for the 9th and
managed the BA students at the University. They were tasked to research
precedents and understand the relevant construction methods to be
able to create detailed CAD sections on Friday the 10th of January.
The BA students and Shebbear Students were introduced on the Friday
and divided into 5 groups (B1-B5), each group was tasked to and
produced designs for a caf to fulfl the outline brief.
The fnal designs produced at the end of the two days were not clear as
to what was proposed due to the short timescale, the fnal submissions
were not to a level for the client to clearly understand.
It was necessary to study and re-depict the designs into a complete and
comprehendible 3D form prior to submission to the client for feedback.
The groups of students responsible for each of the designs are listed in
the Team Lists in the Student Brief in the Appendix.
Although unable to observe the activities and success of the Thursday
Session at the University myself, I asked the students to complete
feedback forms (In Appendix) to offer their thoughts upon the
management and effectiveness.
8
Team and Project Management
The Project required the BA Students of Plymouth University to work in
conjunction with the students of Shebbear College. The interest from
the school was very encouraging - several students were particularly
interested in considering careers as Architects. The work on Thursday
the 9th of January supervised by myself with the Shebbear students
was highly productive thanks to the extremely good work of the two BA
students who accompanied myself. The students successfully collected
dimensions of the Village Hall, and two students successfully collated
the dimensions into an AutoCAD model under minimal instruction. The
CAD plans were sent at 13:00 to the BA students at the University to
begin their designs with accurate site drawings. In the afternoon the
Shebbear students began producing interesting and useful design
ideas in model, sketch and digital form.
On Friday the 10th of January when the Shebbear students were
introduced to the BA students they were divided into the fve groups
and each group was allocated a Yr. 3 group leader to delegate and
assign work within the group. It soon became apparent that the BA
students had not - as hoped - been given the site plans so had not
begun their designs for the site on the Thursday in the afternoon. This
resulted in a slow start to the day and resulted in the students being
late printing and completing their work. Some students were required
to stay later after the presentations to complete the requirements list.
Productivity was not helped by the lack of computers brought to the
VTP as well as poor attendance from the BA students on both days,
this resulted in many students feeling un-useful and unmotivated which
was refected in the Friday attendance. This can be debited to the
deviations from the outlined briefng document by the BA students on
Thursday owing to the unplanned presentations they were required to
make to the other groups.
The BA students on the Thursday collected good quantities of precedent
research throughout the day, however did not - as requested - collect
construction details to be used in the fnal drawing sections through
the structure. This resulted in unclear fnal propositions and resulted in
additional work for Zhisheng Mao and myself in collating, deciphering
and combining the design ideas proposed by the fve groups. Despite
my colleagues weaker levels of English, he performed very well
considering he had to supervise the students on the Thursday alone.
Refectively the management was successful and the day-planning
was very well thought through and thorough , however on refection
the day-plans should have allowed more time for unforeseen diversions
from the brief and the instructions to the Plymouth BA students on
the Thursday should have been expressed more clearly. Also on the
Friday the necessity to print the work on time should have been further
enforced, however due to the lack of work produced from the slow
start in the morning, this was an unrealistic target. The students were
requested to begin printing the work 90 minutes prior to the submission,
however none began printing until 15 minutes prior to submission.
9
Design Summary
Post-VTP it was necessary to synthesise the student designs,
Zhisheng Mao and myself summarised the student deigns
into fve Trimble SketchUp Models (See Appendix).
The fnal design, summarised and inspired by the student
designs, is a lightweight densely insulated frame clad with
horizontal cedar boarding. A rear patio provides space for
external seating.
The roofng material selected is an insulated corrugated
system to visually match the existing roof on the main
building.
The interior multi-level layout was inspired by group B3.
Furnishings include the group B4 inspired folding tables to
allow for the space to be opened up for larger functions.
Full design details in the Building Regulations Drawings that
follow after the Visualisations - Building Regulation Drawings
were drawn-up as required in the Brief to provide an
accurate costing prior to application for funding.
10
Exterior Perspective View to the North
Exterior Perspective View to the East
Internal Perspective View to the South
Internal Perspective View to the North
11
12
13
14
15
16
Mechanical Plant and Tools

Item of Plant Size/Rating Unit Rate Per Hour () Time Hours Total

Cranes
Mobile Cranes
Lorry Mounted Telescopic Jib (2WD) 6 Tonnes Each 24.4 1 day 8 195.2

Excavations And Loaders
Excavators
Mini Excavators 1000/1500 Each 4.5 1 day 8 36

Compaction Equipment
Soil Compactors
Plate Compactor 375-400mm Each 1.2 3 days 48 57.6

Concrete Equipment
Concrete/Mortar Mixers
Open drum without hopper 0.15/0.10m3 Each 0.72 1 week 88 63.36

Concrete Equipment
Vibrating Screed unit with beam 5.00m Each 1.77 1 day 8 14.16

Small Tools
Saws
Chop/cut saw, electric 350mm diameter Each 1.33 1 week 88 117.04


Plant Total 483.36
Costing
In order to accurately cost the building beyond the initial 36,000 - 44,000
estimate stated in the Outline Brief, Spons Architects and Builders Price
Book (2007) was used, this book provides accurate estimates for all ele-
ments of a buildings construction, including material costs, labour time
estimates and a summarised cost per unit area including labour.
Labour costs in the table are based upon Spons skill rate scale (2007, pp
83) which range from 9.65/hr to 12.89/hr. These are outdated due to
infation and is compensated for with a percentage increase at the end
of the costing.
The addition of an approximate 15% overspend to the cost, takes into
account the rises in building costs due to infation since 2007, the in-
creased labour rates, and extraneous costs. This should help to create a
more realistic - hopefully slightly over-estimated budget fgure.
This should comfortably see the project completed within the Clients
budget without unexpected overspending.
17
Prices for Measured Works

Minor Works

Item PC () Labour Hours Labour () Material () Unit Total rate () Quantity Tot Rate Tot Hrs


Cutting Openings or Recesses
140mm blockwork 2.17 51.34 4.26 m2 55.6 1.6 88.96 3.472

Excavating and Filling (by Machine)
To reduce levels up to 250mm 0.06 0.71 2.01 m3 2.73 11 30.03 0.66
Trench exceeding 0.3m up to 1m depth 0.28 3.32 4.19 m3 7.51 6.56 49.2656 1.8368

Disposal; by hand
on site; depositing in heaps -
average 25m distance 1.48 17.56 m3 17.56 11 193.16 16.28

In Situ Concrete Construction
Isolated Foundations (40mm aggregate) 1.62 22.47 95.32 m3 117.79 4.92 579.5268 7.9704
Beds (ramps) not exceeding 150mm -
(20mm aggregate) 1.71 23.72 100.69 m3 124.41 0.99 123.1659 1.6929

Filling to excavations by hand
off-site hardcore not exceeding 250mm 23.52 1.35 16.02 28.54 m3 44.55 8.82 392.931 11.907
off-site sand not exceeding 250mm 31.35 1.32 15.66 38.04 m3 53.7 1.323 71.0451 1.74636

Masonry Walls
Dense aggregate blocks -
Hanson Conblock 1:2:9 (140mm) 10.32 0.83 19.64 13.45 m2 33.09 5.769 190.89621 4.78827

Damp Proof Courses/ Membranes 1
Permabit bitumen polymer 150mm -
laps in 1:1:6 mortar over 225mm 6.97 0.27 6.39 8.46 m2 14.84 3 44.52 0.81
Visqueen sheeting 300 microns 0.06 0.83 0.63 m2 1.46 44.1 64.386 2.646

Carpentry/Timber Framing/First Fixing
Sawn Softwood, untreated 25x38 foor members 0.07 1.32 0.44 m 1.77 200 354 14
50 x 125 0.19 3.6 1.88 m 5.47 174.4 953.968 33.136
tanalised 100x200 0.23 4.35 7.05 m 11.41 3.8 43.358 0.874
tanalised 50x150 0.16 3.03 2.55 m 5.57 101.5 565.355 16.24
tanalised 25x38 0.07 1.32 0.5 m 1.82 267.2 486.304 18.704

Bolts
Galvanized mild steel 20mm diameter 50-200mm long 0.06 1.14 nr 1.14 72 82.08 4.32

18
Lead Sheet Flashings
Flasings wedged into grooves 150mm girth-
(2.24mm code 5) 0.25 6.73 8.27 m 14.99 8 119.92 2

Insulation Board Underlays
Vapour barrier reinforced m2 8.85 94.4 835.44 0

Plasterboard
Gypsum Plasterboard BS1230 flled joints -
to receive direct decoration (2.4-2.7m wall) 1.02 20.28 7.24 m 27.52 36.6 1007.232 37.332

OSB
12mm OSB Fireproof Class 1 0.39 7.38 9.3 m2 16.68 123.3 2056.644 48.087

Windows
Top Hung Casement E24mm DG 140mm -
Sills Softwood 1770x1050 299.89 1.71 32.37 339.32 nr 371.69 4 1486.76 6.84
Top Hung Casement E24mm DG 140mm -
Sills Softwood 630x1050 141.88 1.02 19.31 160.68 nr 179.99 1 179.99 1.02

Door
Panelled softwood DG glazed door -
838x1981x44mm 98.01 1.8 34.07 110.63 nr 144.71 2 289.42 3.6

Cement Sand and Concrete
Screed 1:3 60mm 0.44 8.99 4.99 m2 13.98 44.1 616.518 19.404

Exterior Paint
Two Coats Sandtex Matt Block wall 0.31 4.51 1.69 m2 6.2 5.769 35.7678 1.78839

Insulation
75mm Kingspan Thermawall TW50 13.6 0.2 3.79 16.36 m2 20.14 44.1 888.174 8.82
150mm Glass fbre quilt Isowool -
Modular Roll 600mm centres 7.92 0.13 1.8 8.94 m2 10.75 29 311.75 3.77

Window edging boards Internal
19mmx150 hardwood 0.17 3.22 4.14 m 7.36 24 176.64 4.08

Pipework Trench by Machine Excavation
Servs not exceeding 200mm average depth of 0.5m 0.3 3.56 2.03 m 5.59 3.5 19.565 1.05

Asphalt Roads
100mm thick 0/32 aggregate size to clause 5.2 m2 15.48 24 371.52 0

Paving
Concrete paving fags 25mm -
cement bed 600x600x50mm grey 6.53 0.44 8.99 9.32 m2 18.31 42.5 778.175 18.7
19

Gutters
100mmogee gutters aluminium to timber 13.33 0.41 7.76 20.4 m 28.16 20 563.2 8.2

Electrical
wired in PVC for lighting nr 45.1 13 586.3 0
wired in PVC for socket nr 73.29 4 293.16 0

Cladding
Western Red Cedar Shiplap 25mmx150mm 0.17 3.22 10.27 m 13.49 320 4316.8 54.4
(Wenban Timber Shop, 2014)

Roof Panels
Trisommet 333 Insulated Panels 100mm 0.2 3.79 33.6 m2 37.39 50.1 1873.239 10.02
(Cladco, 2014)

Floor Finishes
Character Grade Unfnished American White Oak 0.16 1.4208 36.99 m2 38.4108 44.1 1693.91628 7.056
(Railway Sleeper, 2014)

Ceiling Bracket
Galvanized Mild Steel custom bracket 2 17.76 300 nr 317.76 1 317.76 2

Handrail
Galvanized Mild Steel custom sunk to ramps 4 200 100 nr 300 2 600 8

Fixings
Screws various 100

Interior Fit-out Estimates
Counter 250
Cupboard 100
Folding tables wall mounted x 4.5 1000
Electric Radiator x2 500
Internal Ballaustrade 250
Stip and re-render interior wall 200
Total Works 26130.84269
Total Plant 483.36
20
Architects Fees
Hours per work stage

Prep and Brief Concept Develop Planning + BR tech details and costing

Architects Fees 36/hr Stage 1 VTP Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Total Hours
Zhisheng Mao 2 21 0 4 0 0 27
Ben Pitcher 8 27 10 12 42 EST 8 99
Hours Total 10 48 10 16 42 8 126
Cost Total 360.00 1728.00 360.00 576.00 1512.00 288.00
Total Costs for Architects 4536.00
Payments to be made at the end of each RIBA working stage completed.
Additional Fees and Summary
Planning Application 170

BCO Costs:
Plan Charge 210

Inspection Charge 390

B N Charge 661

REG Charge 666

Architect(s) 4536

Total Costs 7767
Total Works 26131
Total Plant 483.36

Total + 15% for cost rises and margin for error 37,915.68
Total Cost / 40.1sqm = Cost/sqm
Cost/sqm = 945.53
15% decided due to the costing book being six years out of date with infation
rises and for a general rule of 10% allowance as standard for unforseen events.
21
The Programme of work outlines the activities required to be undertaken by the Architect and by the construction contractor (Chappel, D., Willis, A., 2010, pp. 252). The programme of work allows the
client to be able to see how the work is broken down against the RIBA stages should payment be arranged to follow each completed stage. However in the case of this project, as previously specifed,
the project is to be paid per hour on a month by month basis.
Care has been taken to allow the programme of work to include a high detail of work required so as to work in conjunction with the pricing lists (Chappel, D., Willis, A., 2010, pp. 253).
The Gantt Chart below shows the projected project development over a weekly scale time period.
GANTT Chart RIBA Stage > 0 6 7
Dates > Nov-13 Dec-13 Jan-14 Feb-14 Mar-14 Apr-14 May-14
Architects Activity/Action 28 to 01 04 to 08 11 to 15 18 to 22 25 to 29 02 to 06 09 to 13 16 to 20 06 to 10 13 to 17 20 to 25 27 to 31 03 to 07 10 to 14 17 to 21 24 to 28 03 to 07 10 to 14 17 to 21 24 to 28 31 to 04 07 to 11 14 to 18 21 to 25 28 to 02 05 to 09 12 to 16 19 to 23 27 to 30
Client Initial Contact
Initial VTP Contract Confirmed
Defining The Outline Brief
VTP presentation to Students
Initial Site Visit
Brief Finalised VTP confirmed
VTP Pre-Planning
VTP Actioned
Post-VTP collaboration
VTP designs submitted to client
Proposal drawn from VTP projects
New Contract for Planning to BR
Exterior elevations for Planning
Approval from client and Planning Ap.
Planning Waiting Period
Building Regulations drawings
Detailed Costing
Contact Building Control Officer (BCO)
Tender Plans to local Contractors
Site Visit to observe works
Contractor's Programme
Site survey and BCO consultation
Excavation/Demolition of existing
HIRE - Mini Excavator
200mm Hardcore and 30mm Sand infill
DPC sheet layer laid
100mm Concrete poured
75mm insulation installed in floor
60mm screed poured and levelled
Bricklayers brought on site
Carpenters brought on site
HIRE -Crane
HIRE - Vibrating Screed unit with beam
HIRE - Cement mixer
Roof Panels to be fitted
Windows and Doors to be fitted to make good
Interior Insulation fitted
Interior plasterboard fitted
Flooring and interior fit-out works
Decorators brought on site
Final Overview - Handover
PAID UNPAID WAIT
1 2 3 4 5
22
(Planning Portal, 2013).
GANTT Chart RIBA Stage > 0 6 7
Dates > Nov-13 Dec-13 Jan-14 Feb-14 Mar-14 Apr-14 May-14
Architects Activity/Action 28 to 01 04 to 08 11 to 15 18 to 22 25 to 29 02 to 06 09 to 13 16 to 20 06 to 10 13 to 17 20 to 25 27 to 31 03 to 07 10 to 14 17 to 21 24 to 28 03 to 07 10 to 14 17 to 21 24 to 28 31 to 04 07 to 11 14 to 18 21 to 25 28 to 02 05 to 09 12 to 16 19 to 23 27 to 30
Client Initial Contact
Initial VTP Contract Confirmed
Defining The Outline Brief
VTP presentation to Students
Initial Site Visit
Brief Finalised VTP confirmed
VTP Pre-Planning
VTP Actioned
Post-VTP collaboration
VTP designs submitted to client
Proposal drawn from VTP projects
New Contract for Planning to BR
Exterior elevations for Planning
Approval from client and Planning Ap.
Planning Waiting Period
Building Regulations drawings
Detailed Costing
Contact Building Control Officer (BCO)
Tender Plans to local Contractors
Site Visit to observe works
Contractor's Programme
Site survey and BCO consultation
Excavation/Demolition of existing
HIRE - Mini Excavator
200mm Hardcore and 30mm Sand infill
DPC sheet layer laid
100mm Concrete poured
75mm insulation installed in floor
60mm screed poured and levelled
Bricklayers brought on site
Carpenters brought on site
HIRE -Crane
HIRE - Vibrating Screed unit with beam
HIRE - Cement mixer
Roof Panels to be fitted
Windows and Doors to be fitted to make good
Interior Insulation fitted
Interior plasterboard fitted
Flooring and interior fit-out works
Decorators brought on site
Final Overview - Handover
PAID UNPAID WAIT
1 2 3 4 5
Programme of Work
GANTT Chart
23
Programme of Work
Written Programme
Architects Role
Organise amd run the VTP project, completing a combined design to the aproval ot the client.
(Detailed in Brief)
Building to be costed by Architect using relevant reference sources, e.g. Spons Costing book
Architect to Liase with client to confrm designs prior to planning sumbission to be made via
online submission at, (Planning Portal, 2013).
Cost of 170 for Full application for Erection of buildings, (Not dwellings, agricultural, glasshous-
es, plant nor machinery) for an increase of foor space up to 40 square metres. (Planning Portal,
2013).
Allow up to eight weeks for Planning permission response. (Planning Portal, 2013).
Following Planning response:
Negative - Review feedback, consult with client and make neces-
sary adjustments prior to resubmission.
Positive - Review any feedback and conditions with client, pro-
pose advancing the project to building regulations stage of development.
Subsequent to Client approval: Architect to develop building regulations drawings to include:
- 1 :50 Plan detailing wall construction and electrical installations
- 1 :50 Elevations of the proposal showing relevant dimensions and exterior fnishes
- 1 :50 Section through East-West direction showing wall and roof construction detail
- 1 :50 Section through North-South direction showing wall and roof construction detail
- 1:10 expanded details of relevant construction details
All drawings to include specifed materials with relevant U-values where appropriate, require-
ments of external proffessional consultation and seNices to be noted where required.
Building regulations drawings to be submitted to the local Buildings Control Offcer (BCO) to be
contacted through North Devon County Council.
BCO costs to be confrmed via table C in the NDCC table of Charges (North Devon.Gov, 2011)
Initial estimates between 30001 to 40000 :
-Plan Charge 210, Inspection Charge 390, B N Charge 661, REG Charge, 666.
Liase with client to confrm the tendering of the project.
Architect leaves the project, available for consultation at an hourly rate of 36/hour as stated in
brief.
Architect to return to project during construction and upon completion to oversee, photograph
and critically assess the design and receive feedback from the client and the users of the cafe.
24
Conclusion
The VTP project has been very insightful in terms of learning
to manage groups of students, liaising and communicating
with the client, and particularly a good exercise in producing
accurate costings, programmes and design drawings for
the project.
I feel I have learnt that managing large groups of people
productively can be extremely diffcult and that being able
to delegate to trustworthy team leaders who can each
manage a smaller group can be a far more successful
method of management.
I have also found that to create a clearly defned brief early
on in the project is fairly diffcult, particularly when it contains
slight oddities - such as the VTP requirements - however
when it can be clearly defned, then it becomes a very
clear list of objectives that are very useful when creating
the Programme of Work and calculating the Costings.
In fnal refection, I feel that the VTP has been very benefcial
to the Shebbear students giving them a clear insight into
architectural study, useful to the Plymouth BA students in
the sense that the majority were able to experience a live
project for the frst time which required a more professional
design process, and It has also been very benefcial for
Zhisheng Mao as a linguistic exercise and myself as a lesson
in logistics and management as well as a good exercise in
the required architectural activities aside from the design
phase.
I believe that using this same VTP system, taking on board
what has been learnt this year, the University will be able to
have an equally successful Outreach Event next year too.
25
Appendix - Summary of Key Work
14/11/2013
Contact made with Rebecca Weale to enquire regarding an expressed interest of a potential
project, contact referenced through Robert Brown of Plymouth University.
15/11/2013
Correspondence received, confrmed interest and potential Shebbear College involvement.
20/11/2013
Potential funding discussed and agreement to perform a short 15 minute presentation to Shebbear
College 5th and 6th Form to advertise an involvement in a VTP (Vertical Team Project), organised
by Plymouth University.
21/11/2013
Presentation content agreed.
27/11/2013
Zhisheng Mao accompanies myself to Shebbear and gives joint presentation to the students.
(Presentation in Appendix).
03/12/2013
Venue at School confrmed for VTP on the 9th January 2014.
08/12/2013
BA students at Plymouth University Emailed and the VTP is explained.
13/12/2013
Risk Assessment emailed to R. Weale.
15/12/2013
Shebbear Attendance confrmed for the 10th January 2014.
16/12/2013
Project Brief fnalised with client.
06/01/2014
Brief fnalised and emailed to students for VTP.
07/01/2014
Shebbear Attendance List confrmed.
08/01/2014
Final Groups and registers confrmed for the 9th and 10th Jan.
09/01/2014
Travelled to Shebbear with 2 BA students (12 hours), Zhisheng Mao organised the BA students at the
University (8 hours)
10/01/2014
Shebbear Students arrive at the University and work with the BA students. (10 hours x2)
11/01/2014
5 working hours (x2) collating, scanning and printing VTP work to compile document for Shebbear
Village Committee.
12/01/2014
Zhisheng Mao (2 hours) and I (8 hours) research brief and begin to defne a design from VTP concepts/
13/01/2014
Designs sent to client for feedback.
20/01/2014
Refning concept images into one building design (10 hours)
21/01/2014
Zhisheng Mao (4 hours) and Myself (12 hours) refne the building design deciding materials and
technologies, planning drawings produced. (Developed alongside BR drawings earlier in the
document).
26
Appendix - Client Correspondence Record
Emails and Phone Correspondence Diary

14/11/2013
Dear Ms. Weale
My name is Ben Pitcher from the University of Plymouth Master of Architecture Programme.
I have been made aware of your project through Bob Brown and Alona Martinez-Perez
and have been shown your existing correspondence.
Firstly I need to confrm that you are still interested in working on the project with the
University? And if so, the University has the following proposition:
Currently myself and my groupmate - Zhisheng (Morton) Mao - are searching for participant
projects to take part in the Universitys VTP (Vertical Team Project - All three BA Architecture
year groups working with the masters students in Janaury after Christmas as part of a team-
working exercise).
The idea behind the Scheme is that Myself and Morton would liase and meet with yourself
to visit the site pre-VTP as part of our Proffessional Studies Module, document relevant
information and defne a brief. We would then produce outline levels of design decisions to
form a project for the BA students to work on as a group project, In a way that allows the
involvement and education of external young communities.
The VTP will be on the 9th and 10th of January, (I will send you a full timetable if you are
interested) and would require that on the 9th (Thursday) the University would send 4/5
students (accompanied by either myself or Morton) to your Village to meet with a group of
young-architectural-enthusiasts - up to 20 - (pre-university age group and to be selected
by yourself) who would beneft from a taster session into how an architect works/studies. We
would then run a day of activities (if you can arrange a suitable venue) where we would
encourage the participants to work with our BA students to further the design of the project
and undertake modelling tasks.
The following day, on the Friday, the University would require you to transport between 8
and 10 young-architectural-enthusiasts (either the same selection as on the Thursday or a
different group) to the University in Plymouth, they would then take part in a pre-organised
day of activities working with BA students to produce work for a fnal presentation at the
end of the day to portray the design of the cafe. You would then be given a copy of all this
work for your own uses/purposes.
The University hopes that this project would be of educational interest to your chosen
participants and that you would end up with well considered and clear design ideas for
your Cafe project.
Please let me know if the above is of interest to you and if you would beneft from further
timetabled information.
Kind Regards
Ben Pitcher
15/11/2013
Thanks Ben, this sounds an amazing offer - my husband is a teacher at Shebbear College
and Im sure we could arrange some students to help take part.
Let me get back to you, I will bring it up at our Village Hall meeting this Tuesday.
Rebecca Weale
15/11/2013
Dear Rebecca Weale,
27
Good news, looking forward to hear the feedback from the meeting.
Kind Regards
Ben Pitcher
20/11/2013
Dear Rebecca Weale,
Good morning, hope you are well,
Is there any news from your community meeting as to the feasibility of this project?
Further to my original email, I would also like to add that for working with the school, both
myself and Morton have been DBS (CRB) checked.
Also, would you be able to supply an idea of budget, selected location, and any initial
ideas that you already have prior to us arranging to meet you?
Kind Regards
Ben Pitcher
20/11/2013
Phone call to R. Weale confrming details of the VTP and the schools interest in contributing.
Presentation to Students spoken about and agreed to.
20/11/2013
Hi Ben,
Good to talk to you - and look forward to updating you next week.
Please see link below to the Village Hall website - idea is that we build a community cafe on
the end where the silver car is - in that initial image. Although the Village Hall Committee
can be quite ferce, I have got the go ahead for the idea at this stage, and still have to
apply for funding (but I have been told as this a deprived area it would qualify). My bullet
points attached.
Thanks Rebecca
http://www.shebbearvillagehall.btck.co.uk/
20/11/2013
Hi Ben,
Ive spoken to the Head of Sixth Form, Shebbear College and he says that 11.30am next
Wednesday would be perfect time for you to give a talk on your workshop plans to the
whole 5th and 6th form. He will book the assembly room which is set up as a lecture room.
So if you can get here a little earlier to site visit we can do that,
Rebecca
21/11/2013
Dear Rebecca,
Good Morning, myself and Morton will be free and able to drive up for then.
Would we be able to meet yourself and tour the site arriving between 9:30 and 10:00, so
we have a chance to take a few site photos to add to the presentation and discuss your
existing ideas.
Regarding the presentation, I suggesty that we talk about:
- What an Architect does
- Working in Practice
- Method of study
- Our project task for them
- Then perhaps you could expand a little on our summary of your project
28
This should take around 15 minutes to present on our part with opportunities for questions
afterwards.
Would I then request a show of hands for volunteers? Or await the teachers to select the
appropriate students after the session?
Kind regards
Ben Pitcher
21/11/2013
Hi Ben, (Im copying in Matt Newitt, Head of Sixth Form, Matt please see Bens email)
Sounds good to me - although I suppose I may not have a great deal to add to that, only
that the community cafe is in its infancy, and Im applying for funding now. (which Ive
been told we are eligible for)
This will also be open to any other teenagers who live in the area - I know of a couple who
may not be able to make next week, but who will be interested in attending. Ive put it on
the Sheb Community facebook page to get in touch with me.
Maybe also show some slides of your University and where the 2nd day will be held, perhaps,
to give them some idea of how that will run. I expect I will need help to arrange consent
forms for that, and a mini bus.
I have x 2 other Architect companies who are supplying rough ideas and quotes, one
of which has sent in their ideas - but not sure we want to reveal this at this stage, as your
workshop designs may come up with a different idea altogether, and dont want to cloud
their vision.
My Address is:
Beckly House, (Junior School Entrance, on the way down to the Village, drive past the
chapel all the way to the end of the lane, and it is the white house on the right)
Shebbear, EX21 5SJ (tel: 01409 281143 or 07985 141152)
You can meet me either here - or at the Village Hall site? I can always take some snaps and
send you them, as the sun is out today!
Thanks, Rebecca
21/11/2013
Dear Rebecca,
I will add information about the plans for the Thursday and Friday sessions.
Some photos that make the most of todays weather would be very useful.
If you could forward the existing designs it would be a useful framework to start with, although
we will choose how much to share in the presentation to keep ideas open.
We could meet you at the Village Hall, we will phone you half an hour before we are due
to arrive, however we will try to arrive just before 10AM.
I will work on the presentation at the weekend and send you a draft on monday to glance
through prior to Wednesday.
Kind Regards

Ben Pitcher
21/11/2013
Hi, Shebbear rough sketches attached, but all new ideas welcome please
Rebecca
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <james.mettersandwellby@btconnect.com>
Date: 21 November 2013 16:08
Subject: Shebbear Village Hall
To: rebecca.weale7@gmail.com
Dear Rebecca,
Please fnd attached a scan of Richards sketch as requested.
Best Regards
James Neep (Metters and Wellby)
24/11/2013
Dear Rebecca,
Thank you for their drawings, hopefully we can offer some further ideas!
I attach a copy of our proposed presentation, with the intention of adding some site images
to be taken on Wednesday morning. As well as adding some of Mortons work experience
Imagery.
If you could have a look through and confrm that this is what is expected for Wednesday
morning.
Kind Regards
Ben Pitcher
27/11/2013
Hi Ben,
The Hall is being used from 10.30am-12.00 for Yoga, so when you plan your day it would be
best to stay clear of the building for then (either go back to the school) or start afterwards
as they will want it to be quiet, thanks Rebecca.
Draft for Ben
please can you check this is correct! needs to be in tomorrow:
Plymouth Universitys search for young designers
On Wednesday this week the school was visited by 2 Architect Masters students from
Plymouth University - Ben Pitcher and Morton Mao. As well as giving some background
about studying the disciplines of Architecture, they were also searching for some local
teenage designers to help with a Community Design Project which will go towards their
Masters Degree.
A group of 11 Shebbear College ffth and sixth formers have signed up to take part in the
workshop to design a Community Caf attached to the Shebbear Village Hall. The idea is
that this allows the involvement and education of external young communities. The group
will work on the project as if professional architects under Ben and Mortons guidance,
along with other BA students from Plymouth.
The site planning will take place on Thursday 9th January and the next day the group will go
to Plymouth University to use their equipment in fnalising drawings and models. The designs
the kids come up with will be given to the Village Hall Committee for its own consideration/
use. Funding for the idea is currently being investigated, watch this space.
27/11/2013
Dear Rebecca,
The below letter looks good, I am sending the list of the names, seems there are 14 who
put their names down, If they all confrm they can do the 9th and 10th, and the college is
happy to transport them and provide some packed lunches perhaps, Im sure the University
would not notice an extra 4 students! (I know that several of the names were written down
by one girl, so it may be worth confrming they are interested not obligated).
Regarding the Thursday, I noticed the refectory (I think that was its name - next to the lunch
hall with the blue tables and chairs) in the school which looked like a very good workspace,
30
alternatively an art room may be suitable. What I propose is that we take the students down
to the village hall prior to yoga 10:30AM at around 9:30 or after whenever they have their
registration, then we can work with them to survey the building with tape measures/laser
measures, then I can teach at least one student how to draw it up in AutoCAD as the other
students measure, another student or two can try to Learn SketchUp to model the building
in 3D, all students can try this if they can bring laptops. (they will need mice for their laptops
as they need the scroll wheel). This should produce an accurate model of the building
which can be used by Barry for the planning permission for his youth shelter as well as a
basis for the initial designs.
Access to the school printers may be very useful for printing maps and photos to draw/
model over.
If the art department can supply various cards, papers, adhesive, tape and cutting tools
(and cutting mats if the tables are nice!) then we should be able to run a good modelling
session with the students back at the school so as not to interrupt the yoga class. We could
work up to perhaps around 12:00 or whenever they go for lunch. A few extra tape measures/
metre rulers may be useful of the school has them.
How do you think this would work?
Regards
Ben Pitcher
02/12/2013
Hi Ben,
I will fnd out about work space - and hoping that the afternoon in the Village Hall should
be fne, just the late morning time to fnd space,and get back to you.
Rough times are:
8.30am Registration
8.40 Lessons
11am Chapel
11.10 Break
11.30 Lesson
12.50 Lunch
1.45pm Lessons
4pm Activities
4.55 - Coaches/Home (although on Fridays it is 4pm home time)
03/12/2013
Hi Ben,
Ive heard that you can use the Assembly Hall that you spoke in, there are fold out tables
in there. I will try and book it today for the morning slot 10- lunch - then down at the village
hall in the afternoon perhaps?
Rebecca
03/12/2013
Dear Rebecca
That sounds ideal, thanks for your co-operation, I will work with Morton over the next few
days on a timetable for the day.
Kind Regards
Ben Pitcher
03/12/2013
Hi Ben,
We will book the Assembly Hall from 10am - 2pm, hope that should cover it? There are other
spaces if need be, Rebecca
03/12/2013
Dear Rebecca,
That should be perfect.
Many thanks
Ben Pitcher
10/12/2013
Hi Ben,
I was wondering (as i tackle my funding application forms), whether it is possible to estimate
the cost of any concept that might come out of designs with you guys, as I need an estimate
to gauge how much I need to raise,
Thanks Rebecca
11/12/2013
Evening Rebecca,
Apologies for my slow response but we have just had our fnal hand-in for our design project.
Seeing as it would be only a two day project, the designs will most likely not be valued.
Our instructions to the BA students is to target the value to around 20k, which is quite a small
amount of money. Although due to their lack of experience it is questionable as to how
good their understanding of real money is.
The best suggestion would be to choose your favourite design from amongst the fve that
the students will produce and then put the design drawings out to tender with several local
builders - perhaps local builders will be able to offer a special community benefcial price.
Then it would be a case of planning permission - for which you can contact myself if you
need any alterations to drawings.
Morton and Myself will try to keep the cost realistic on the projects and not allow the students
to go too grand with their ideas.
I would suggest that you wait until you have copies of the designs in January before making
your applications.
On another matter, the University has not DBS checked as many students as originally
intended so it appears that only 2 or 3 students will be accompanying me to the school which
should be an easier number for me to manage and hopefully it will be more appropriate to
not outnumber the School students!
Our term fnishes this Friday, however I will be within email reach should you need any more
information.
I have attached the briefng document that will be given to our students on the 9th and
10th. It includes timetables that I hope will ft well with your school timetable.
Kind Regards
Ben Pitcher
13/12/2013
Dear Rebecca,
The University has given me a risk assessment document to email to you.
Also it has now been decided that the University Catering will be able to feed your school
students on the Friday and would appreciate if you could supply any particular dietary
requirements.
32
Also the University would like to know how the students will be transported to the Uni, I
assume by one of the minibuses, but they need to confrm how many vehicles so they can
provide parking for you.
Also, Im in the process of sourcing materials for the project on Thursday, will the school
allow the students to use Stanley knives with safety rulers and cutting mats? And are they
allowed to use UHU adhesive? I will be shopping with Morton this weekend and Monday for
Various cards, papers and foam board.
Regards
Ben Pitcher
15/12/2013
Hi Ben,
Thats great news re: catering for the Shebbear school kids, makes life easier. I have booked
one of the school minibuses for the day - but I think we will need to be back for 5pm here
in Shebbear to get all the kids home. Meant to check your timetable to see if this works.
I will check over those points re: Stanley knives and get back, and get Simon to look over
the risk assessment.
Have a good festive week,
Rebecca
15/12/2013
Dear Rebecca
I am sure the students can leave at 15:00 which should allow time to get back to Shebbear
by 17:00, this would ft in fne as it is at the start of the presentations but after all work is
fnished and printed, they will miss the presentation, but I will be given a digital copy of all
the work which I can send to you afterwards.
I will let the Uni know and arrange a minibus parking space for you.
Let me know about any special food requirements, Knives and adhesives so I can get those
things sorted too. Later today I will amend the timetable to include your new travel-time
and will resend you the brief document.
Happy Christmas
Ben Pitcher
15/12/2013
Great thanks, R
06/01/2014
Phone Call To R. Weale to confrm all arangements.
06/01/2014
Dear Rebecca,
The number of students coming with me now to the school is at 3 people.
If the each of your students could have copies of the brief it would be very helpful to them.
Have a nice evening.
Ben Pitcher
06/01/2014
Thanks Ben, please can I also have directions and any instructions for the parking and
where we go for the Friday,cheers Rebecca
06/01/2014
Dear Rebecca
I have emailed Louise who is organising the parking, she will let me know in the morning and
I will pass it on to you.
Regards
Ben Pitcher
07/01/2014
Thanks, R
07/01/2014
Dear Rebecca,
Louise has emailed me a campus map for you (which is attached) and instructs the following:
Parking is booked for Rebecca. She will need to come to the entrance by the Reynolds
building (please send her the attached map) and turn right twice to bring her to the Scott
car park between Scott and Roland Levinsky, where she will be able to park her mini-bus.
She then needs to bring her group into Roland Levinsky to meet you and your team and
you can direct her to pick up a parking permit from the white desk under the stairs.
Vegetarian lunch options are available for any that want them.
Kind Regards
Ben Pitcher
07/01/2014
Please see those who signed to take part in this Thursday and Fridays Village Hall Community
Project with Plymouth MA/BA students. Please can we confrm those taking part and brief
them as to the plan for both days? Schedule is attached in pdf form.
Thursday - on site at village Hall, Shebbear - 9am - 4pm
Friday - minibus to Plymouth universty (6 other schools taking part)
Rebecca Weale
34
Shebbear College Student List:

NAME FORM EMAIL
1. Connor Roberts 6 croberts08@shebbearcollege.co.uk
2. Salah Gobara 6 sgobara08@shebbearcollege.co.uk
3. Jack Goodman 5 jgoodman09@shebbearcollege.co.uk
4. Rupert Dymond 5 rdymond09@shebbearcollege.co.uk
5. Saskia Weale 6 sweale07@shebbearcollege.co.uk
6. Meg Furse 6 mfurse07@shebbearcollege.co.uk
7. Josephine Richards 6 jrichards07@shebbearcollege.co.uk
8. Joe Furber 6 jfurber07@shebbearcollege.co.uk
9. Matt Davey 6 mdavey06@shebbearcollege.co.uk
10. Emma Dixon 6 edixon07@shebbearcollege.co.uk
11. Sebastian Sanders 5 ssanders09@shebbearcollege.co.uk
12. Roman Khlus 6 rkhlus06@shebbearcollege.co.uk
13. Waycle Lai 6 wlai08@shebbearcollege.co.uk
14. Matthew Tsoi 6 mtsoi08@shebbearcollege.co.uk
08/01/2014
Phone Call to R. Weale to confrm attendance and arrangements
13/01/2014
Hi Ben,
Congratulations on a successful couple of days workshop - and thanks again for all your
hard work, I hope you got a chance to relax over the weekend.
I know everyone enjoyed it, you were all very encouraging to the students on their work -
and they responded well to that.
Look forward to the end results and photos,
R
Appendix - Presentation to Shebbear College
27/11/2013
Presentation created by B M Pitcher and contributed to by Zhisheng Mao.
Shebbear students attending were the 5th and 6th form students.
Presentation lasted for 15 minutes followed by 45 minutes of questions from 16 interested
students.
The following pages contain the slides presented:
(Slide Transcripts included after slides)
36
Who we are
Ben Pitcher Morton Mao
+
Slide 1
Slide 2
What does an Architect do?
Working in a Practice in China
Slide 3
Slide 4
38
Working in a Practice in the UK
How to Become an Architect
BA University
(Must be Accredited)
MA University
Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 1 Year 2 Work
Work
+
Exams
Qualified
The term Architect is a protected title. You cannot legally call yourself
an Architect without having full RIBA accreditation after passing
through their education system.
Slide 5
Slide 6
How we study Architecture:
Models:
How we study Architecture:
Diagrams:
Slide 7
Slide 8
40
How we study Architecture:
Excursions:
How we study Architecture:
Technical Drawings:
Slide 9
Slide 10
How we study Architecture:
Presentations, Tutorials and Discussions:
How we study Architecture:
Essay Writing:
Slide 11
Slide 12
42
How we study Architecture:
Community Projects:
How can you help us?
& how can you help your community?
Slide 13
Slide 14
Shebbear Community Caf
Design a Community Caf for the local Village
Design Session to be held in Shebbear on the 9
th
of January
Followed by a visit to the University on Friday 10
th
of January
Community Caf:
For all ages toddler onwards
Village hub meeting place
Free wi-fi, Newspapers
Sofas and comfortable place to shelter
Benefits:
Skills and training/teenagers -
Catering, business & cooking
Employment
Community hub for any age -
Community Cohesion
Local produce used
Toddlers crafts sessions
Hire out venue for evenings
Shebbear Community Caf
Slide 15
Slide 16
44
Shebbear Community Caf
Thursday 9
th
January
TBC-
The morning workshop will include a site visit and an
opportunity to gather information regarding the site.
This will be followed by a discussion of ideas for the
potential design and the creation of an outline brief.
Students will work in small groups to each propose a design
for the caf which they will draw and model as appropriate
and then present to the rest of the group at the end of the
session.
Ideas from this session will be relayed back to the BA
students at the University to develop further in the
afternoon.
Slide 17
Slide 18
Friday 10
th
January
09:00 Students and staff from school teams to arrive at Plymouth University and be escorted to studios by their
University team students.
09.00 15.00 Teams to draw, design and make models or through any other media (film, photo 3D models.or
any other they feel appropriate to the project) of their scheme A full brief will be provided on the day.
Architecture students and staff will lead this, distributing tasks to all. This is a standard workshop model and works
very well. The workshop learning environment offers collaborative engagement for all students and the chance
for younger students to bring communication methods to the group.
13.00 Lunch
- 15:00 FINAL PRESENTATIONS TO BE PINNED UP
Each team will be present to pin up work, display models in an open gallery style in the foyer of the Roland
Levinsky Building.
All participating students and supervisors to be present at the event and as part of the presentation team in some
capacity.
16.30 Announcement of winners and prize giving.
The work is collected and recorded and given to the Community of Shebbear to help in their design process.
Slide 19
The Following text is the transcript written for and used during the presentation, it is divided
into two parts for the two speakers to have a document each.
Ben Pitcher Transcript:
B INTRODUCTION
Good morning everybody, my name is Ben and Im here from the University of Plymouth.
I previously studied my Bachelor degree at Plymouth in Architecture, and after a year out
working, I have now come back to the University to study on the Masters course.
Morton
We are here today to talk to you about what Architecture involves, how to study it, and
how you can join in with one of our projects.
Next SLIDE
B WHAT DOES AN ARCHITECT DO?
Firstly Im sure you all understand the basic idea of what an architect does. They make iconic
buildings, like the Swiss-Re Gherkin in London, and bespoke houses like Frank Lloyd Wrights
Falling Water for the Kaufmann family in Pennsylvania. But although they may look quite
dull, the majority of the repetitive housing schemes all over the country were designed at
least in part by architects. Architects also work on the small scale like simple extensions, but
some architects have even been asked to design bus shelters, although Norman Fosters
Bus shelter barely ftted to any of the 157 pages of requirements for a bus shelter and was
disregarded.
B WORKING IN PRACTICE IN THE UK
I began work straight out of University and went to work for a small company in Plymouth
where I worked on designing modular prefabricated 2/3/4 bed option eco-houses to suit
46
various sites, dependent only on being orientated south to make the most of the solar gain
(which is the heating provided naturally by the sun).
I then went to work for a Planning Consultant where I worked with Listed buildings and went
to survey and model several various types of building.
I have also worked for a small Architect in Taunton, where I worked on lots of small projects
from extensions to new-builds, most of the work involved working as a CAD monkey
producing drawings of the construction for building regulations and providing building
elevations and 3D renders for planning applications.
I also worked for a month and a half in Switzerland where I worked with Architects on behalf
of a Solar energy Company, helping to design integrated systems into the rooves of new
builds, as well as calculating panel layouts to retroft to existing buildings like the bottom
right picture.
Solvatec is currently trying to break into the UK market and I am still working for them to try
and secure a large UK contract.
Whilst studying at the moment I am still working for another local Architect producing 3D
computer models and some renders, I am also still in touch and working occasionally for
the planning consultant.
Next SLIDE
B HOW TO BECOME AN ARCHITECT
Read from Page
Next SLIDE
B DIAGRAMS
Diagrams are probably the fastest and clearest way to communicate ideas in Architecture,
able to show a detail on a building or a metaphorical connection, For example like the
simple ones here (indicate) you can show simple design choices and thought or spatial
ideas like the middle images or a complex process that may even develop and mix with a
3D model.
Next SLIDE
B TECHNICAL DRAWINGS
Technical drawings are the more practical side to the architectural studying process where
you demonstrate your understanding of how your structure is constructed, these generally
are more resolved design decisions and often fnd their way onto fnal presentation pages.
Architectural presentations in University tend to combine technical building regulations
work, with a sales pitch to the client and with a public consultation design explanation.
Next SLIDE
B ESSAY WRITING
Essay writing is not as dull as it will probably sound to the most of you! It is fairly free and
encourages you to develop ideas and research around a topic that interests you that you
can generally try to include in your other design work as part of your theory. This is actually
an essay I wrote last week which looks into a situation in Peru where a member of the public
designed a website where people who live in the city of Lima can put forward ideas to
improve the city and start discussions. I intend to take this forward in my research for my
Masterplan design project this year.
Next SLIDE
B PRESENTATIONS
During the year we have regular presentations to the class and the tutors so everyone can
see what stage you are at and offer suggestions and ideas of their own. These are not
always marked and are extremely useful in the design process. They are not something to
worry about either, as you get to know all the people you work with very well very quickly.
Next SLIDE
How you can get involved.
Zhisheng (Morton) Mao Transcript:
M - INTRODUCTION
Speak after Ben
Good morning, Im Morton, Im also a 1st year Masters student from China. I did my frst
degree in China, and I worked in Beijing for the last 2 years working for an architectural
design studio.
Ben speaks again
Next SLIDE
M - WORKING IN CHINA
In the last 20 years, China has had many people migrate from the rural areas to the cities.
As a result cities have been growing bigger very fast. Due to the population density issues
China has to build lots of tall buildings so it is becoming an urban jungle.
This is one of the projects I worked on in China, it is in ShanXi, a province nearby Beijing. It is
very standard middle-class housing.
Middle class housing in China is usually less contextual and tends to look the same everywhere,
there are rarely private gardens and instead there is public space between the buildings.
I also worked on private houses for rich people!
This particular house was part of a housing scheme and was designed for a client to sell
commercially.
Next SLIDE
M - MODELS
In architecture we make lots of models, these two (point) are examples that Ben and I made
last week with our separate groups. They are Masterplan models, Bens model focuses on
the proposal, and mine focuses on showing the context.
Models can be used to show lots of different ideas, they can show various levels of detail
and can be used to clearly diagram ideas.
Next SLIDE
M - EXCURSIONS
Each year we go on a trip, 1st year BA students go to a UK city, 2nd and 3rd year BA students
go to various European Cities. The 1st year Masters students study a UK city, ours was Bristol,
the 2nd years went to Cheshun (Ciezen) in Poland and they are re-designing part of the
city for their project this year.
Next SLIDE
M - COMMUNITY PROJECTS
We also make an effort to work with the community who we design for. We are currently
working on a project in Millbay, in Plymouth where, as you can see from the photos, we met
and spoke with schoolchildren, local residents and local employees. It was very interesting
to hear their different views on the area.
And that is why we are here today, to work with you!
Next SLIDE
48
Plymouth University School Of Architecture, Design And Environment
1

GROUP B

Vertical Team Project 2014

Architecture and ATE

Masters Group Leaders: ZHISHENG MORTON MAO and BEN PITCHER

Project Background

Our Project for this year will be working with a local community and a local school in
the Village of Shebbear in North Devon.

The project aims:

1) To enhance Architectures linkage with the wider community (as both a school
of architecture and as a discipline) regarding who we are, what we do and how we
work.

2) To act in the spirit of Architectures mission of contributing to the well-being of
the wider community.

3) To give school students an idea of the approach to design methods and
strategy and how interesting it is to be an architect, as well as offering a chance to
see (and learn / experience) the many different skills they need to be an architect.


The above aims are to be actioned in a Live project that you will undertake. You are
tasked to design a Village Community Caf to be built as an extension from the
existing Village Hall. This will be designed after relevant consultation with the School
and the local Community and after relevant analytical exercises. You will be divided
into teams in which to work, each team is expected to produce a separate
proposition that will be presented to the Community of Shebbear at the end of the
Project.

The School with which you will be working is Shebbear College, and you will be
working with 14 students in 5th Form, Lower 6th, and Upper 6th who are all beginning to
or are in the process of making their choices for University. You may also be joined by
some local students from the Village, TBC.


You will be divided into two initial groups one group will travel to the site on Thursday
the 9th of January, while the other group will work from the University.
B

Student Brief
49
Plymouth University School Of Architecture, Design And Environment
2

On Friday the 10th, the students from the school will come to the University to work with
you for the full day.
Students visiting the school will be contacted individually to confirm.

Tasks for the Two Day Project

The project will be broken down into three key tasks:

1) Consultation / Site Analysis
Approach to Consultation
- Understand the intentions of the Caf and who the users will be and what
its additional functions may entail.
- Understand the context of the building and consider how the building may
work as a social hub.

2) Design Proposal
- Each group must generate a proposition for the caf project.
- Each project must include a clear design process that includes financial
limitations as well as feasibility.
- The budget is 20,000 which should dictate and restrict your design.
- The Caf must work as an extension of the existing space; it must be usable
as a bar as well as a storage space. It must have usual caf facilities and
small kitchenette as well as a series of movable tables.

3) Final Presentation
The Final Presentation will include 2 aspects:
- Firstly, documentation by the team of your consultation process, site
analysis, conceptualisation and final design proposal.
- Secondly, of critical commentary by each team member identifying: their
role in developing the project; and the awareness / knowledge / skills
gained through working on the project.

Submission
The submission will be in the form of annotated drawings, a model and relevant text.
Each group is expected to produce:

- GA Plan of the Caf @ 1:20
- Site plan at 1:50
- Elevations of the North, South and West faces of the design @ 1:20
- Internal Perspectives of the space
- External Perspectives of the Caf
- Model of the Proposition @ 1: 20

50
Plymouth University School Of Architecture, Design And Environment
3

Timetables (For those travelling to the school, and for those staying at the University -
Those who will be going to the school will be contacted individually)

You will all need to bring laptops if you have them, preloaded with AutoCAD and Sketchup as well as a
mouse and a memory stick. Do NOT forget your DBS checks and lunch for yourselves.



Thursday 9th January (BA School visitors) Stephen Boundy, Tom Clarke, Bethany
Coppard.

07:00 Meet Ben outside the Roland Levinski Building (you can drive straight in and wait
but dont leave your car or you will be ticketed)

07:15 Leave in cars to travel to the school

09:00 Meet the students at Shebbear Village Hall, Introductions and brief explained.

09:15 Site surveys begin, the whole building is to be measured with tape measures
and laser measures and drawn up in CAD.

10:15 Walk/Drive to the school and collect visitors cards from reception.

You will then work in the Assembly hall with the students to continue to draw up the
measurements in CAD and teach some students SketchUp. Initial groups will be
assigned and you can begin initial designs.

11:10 Break for 20 minutes.

11:30 continue working in your groups with the students and continue the design
process making models and producing semi-technical drawings. Before lunch send
samples of the work back to the University by Dropbox so that the University BA
students can see what ideas the students are producing.

12:50 Lunch, the students will go for their own lunch in the school, you must either bring
your own or walk to the village shop/pub for lunch.

13:45 Return your visitors badges to the reception and walk back to the Village Hall
and continue to work there.

15:00 Collate all your work and present the work your groups have done to the rest of
the students. We may be joined by several members of the community to watch this.

15:30 Clear away the mess and the students will leave for their afternoon activities
sessions. Travel back to the University. Should be back in Plymouth around 5pm to join
in evening drinks at Roundabout.


51
Plymouth University School Of Architecture, Design And Environment
4


Thursday 9th January (BA students at the University)

09:00 Meet Morton at the University in the Atrium where you will be told which room
you will be working in, then you will be briefed.

09:15 Begin work on researching precedent studies using books from the library and
the internet, print everything you do / find as they will be used on the Friday.

10:30 Return to workspace and explain your findings so far to the group (register
taken).

11:00 Break for 20 Minutes - No more as you will be marked as late on the register.

11:20 Drawing from the precedents, search for cost effective methods of construction
that are as ecologically considerate as possible.

12:20 Return to workspace and explain your findings so far to the group (register
taken).

12:50 Lunch for 55 minutes - No more as you will be marked as late on the register.

13:45 Observe the work on Dropbox from the school students and use the CAD site
model and Digimap imagery to produce the site plans ready for the Friday session.
As only one or two students are required to make the site plan, the rest will begin to
work from the ideas of the school students and come up with their own designs and
attempt to reach a similar level of design resolvement.

15:30 Break for 20 Minutes - No more as you will be marked as late on the register.

15:50 Continue to work on designs and build a parti site model for your group to work
on the next day.

16:30 Final meeting to summarise the day, explain the initial ideas of the group and
photograph the days work for the records.

17:00 Home-time / after-work drinks at Roundabout.



52
53
Plymouth University School Of Architecture, Design And Environment
5

Friday 10th January (Everyone)

08:45 Meet at the studio workspace, a register will be taken at 09:00.

09:00 Shebbear College students will arrive (14 students).

09:15 Briefing and introductions, divided into 5 groups of mixed stages.

09:30 Begin to work in your team on coming up with a design that you are all in
agreement over, allow all to express their opinions but you will have to compromise
on some ideas and work fast to be finished and printed by 14:30.

11:00 Break for 20 Minutes - No more as you will be marked as late on the register.
Show the students where to get Coffee from and make them welcome.

11:20 Finalise the decisions on the design from the morning ASAP, then work to
produce the submission requirements listed on page 2 of this document. Bear in mind
you do not have much time!

13:00 Lunch for 55 minutes - No more as you will be marked as late on the register,
(Working during your lunch break is not discouraged, and is a realistic aspect of
architectural practice!)

13:55 Register taken, then finalise your work. You should aim to produce the work in
A3 format (considering printing costs) and you should aim to make it a coherent
presentation however maintain the professionalism of genuine architectural work, i.e.
not too much over-decoration as the plans and sections may well be shown to
builders.

14:30 All work must have been printed by this time, and ready to be pinned up, each
group must elect one person, either from the school or from the BA who will briefly
present the work to our group. All work must be given to Ben/Morton in digital A3
format before the end of the day.

15:00 All work is pinned up and displayed in the foyer of the RLB. Followed by short
presentations from all the groups. School Students to leave back to Shebbear.

16:30 Announcement of winners and prize giving.

17:00 Home-time / after-work drinks at Air




53
Plymouth University School Of Architecture, Design And Environment
6


Contact Details:
Due to working off site Morton and Myself will provide our contact details for you in
case you get lost or have unforeseen issues that need resolving.

Zhisheng Morton Mao 07510524539
Ben Pitcher 07988872232
Alternatively you can email us using the University system.

54
Plymouth University School Of Architecture, Design And Environment
7

The Team Divisions:

B1
Ebru Akkaya BA3
Christina Chrysafi BA3
Yannick Scott BA3
Panagiotis Balagiannis BA2
George Morley BA2
Daniel Murphy AT2
Richard Cox BA1
Benedict Falkner BA1
Connor Roberts SH6

B2
Leonidas Avramidis BA3
Stavroula Kadditi BA3
Liam Whitfield BA3
Nikolaos Christopoulos BA2
Keeley Newell BA2
Jack Smith AT2
Brandon Curtis BA1
Matthew Abbotts AT1
Salah Gobara SH6
Roman Khlus SH6

B3
Jessica Bettesworth BA3
Angelika Mazzoli-Taic BA3
Triantafyllia Zacharoglou BA3
William Hicks BA2
Thomas Wakelam BA2
Bethany Coppard BA1
Deanna Davenport BA1
Oscar Sale AT1
Joe Furber SH6
Waycle Lai SH6

B4
Spyridon Bogiatzis BA3
Samuel Myatt BA3
Naomi Bush AT3
Daniel Given BA2
Christiana Ioannou BA2
Pawel Wojcieszak BA2
Daniel Cornell BA1
Bridget Eaton BA1
Matt Davey SH6
Matthew Tsoi SH6

B5
Stephen Boundy BA3
James Cahill BA3
Elise Power BA3
Oliver Sharp AT3
Rebecca Mayo BA2
Emily Cooke AT2
Oliver Coulson BA1
Timothy Emery BA1
Tom Clarke BA1
Saskia Weale SH6
Joe Gobara SH6



Blue = School Students
Yellow = BA School visitors

55
56
Project Photos
Photos By B. Pitcher
Design Produced by Group B1
Design Produced by Group B2
Western Edge Perspective
Southern Edge Perspective
Site Plan
Western Edge Perspective
Southern Edge Perspective
Site Plan
Student Design Summary
57
Design Produced by Group B4
Western Edge Perspective
Southern Edge Perspective
Site Plan
Design Produced by Group B3
Western Edge Perspective
Southern Edge Perspective
Site Plan
58
Design Produced by Group B5
Western Edge Perspective
Southern Edge Perspective
Site Plan
59
Individual Critical Commentary for Group B

Name:
Group number e.g. B1: Uni / School (Delete) Course/Stage
Main Roles on Thursday:


Main Roles on Friday:



Write at least one Paragraph for each heading below:

Awareness of the design process gained from the VTP:









Knowledge of construction methods gained from the VTP:









Skills practiced or learnt during the VTP:
Feedback Form For Group B
All Students asked to complete a form as below after the Friday VTP session
60
Main Comments:
- Enjoyed Modelling
- The 9th was disorganised at the University, the 10th was noted as a big improvement
- Taught students about cost control in design
- Limited working hours to complete the tasks
- Some groups had insuffcient members on the 9th
- Students learnt about the scale of their designs
- The importance of the roof as part of the building
- Overall enjoyment of the project
VTP Instructions For Zhisheng Mao, Thursday
09/01/14
08:45 wait in the Atrium (make a group B sign)
09:00 take the register, if they are on the 6th foor by accident they are late
- Go to studio
Show google map and brief to students and photos, caf extension, usage:- wedding receptions/
caf/activities/view to the playground.
By Friday afternoon they must have:
- General Arrangement Plan of the Caf @ 1:20
- Site plan at 1:50
- Elevations of the North, South and West faces of the design @ 1:20
- Internal Perspectives of the space
- External Perspectives of the Caf
- Model of the Proposition @ 1: 20
Get the students into their 5 groups.
Tell them the timetable for the day is:
- First go and research precedents of cafes and small cheap (20,000) buildings until 10:30
when they will meet back in the studio. Tell them to print what they do.
Tell them not to be late back!
10:30 take register again. Get the groups to present their fndings to the other 5 groups one at a
time. (Until 11:00) 5 mins per group.
Break at 11:00 for 20 minutes followed by register at 11:20.
11:20 register! tell them to go and look for construction details and construction methods to con-
tinue from their precedents. Ecologically friendly where possible. (Until 12:20)
12:20 take a register. Same as before 5 minutes per group, present their fndings again. (until 12:50)
12:50 Lunch (Ben will email you the work from the school).
13:45 register show them what Ben has sent by the dropbox. (and autocad model)
Ask for 2 students who are good with autocad! Give them the cad fle, tell them to get a pdf of
the site tell them to make a 1:20 PDF!!! plan. Tell them to photoshop the Digimap 1:50 and the site
cad model together into one PDF!!! Document and a 1:100 too.
All other students to look at the work of their group member(s) from the school and begin to come
up with designs in their groups. (tell them to break at 15:30 as they may not be in studio). Try to
keep them working in the studio.
15:30 20 min break until 15:50 register tell them to keep working and that now they have to
build a parti (draft) model in their group. (Until 16:30)
16:30 last register of the day! Group presentations again, as before (5 mins each). Then go to
the pub!
61
Register of Attendance
62
V = PRESENT - X = ABSENT - OV = LATE BUT PRESENT
Thursday Friday ATTENDANCE ATTENDANCE
Group First Name Surname Stage 09:00 10:30 12:20 13:45 16:30 09:00 11:20 12:55 15:30 OUT OF 9 PERCENTAGE EFFORT
B1 Ebru Akkaya BA3 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 60
Christina Chrysafi BA3 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 60
Yannick Scott BA3 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Panagiotis Balagiannisis BA2 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
George Morley BA2 V V V OV V V OV X X 6 67 55
Daniel Murphy AT2 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Richard Cox BA1 V V V OV V V V V X 7.5 83 65
Benedict Falkner BA1 X X X X X V V V X 3 33 55
B2 Leonidas Avramidis BA3 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Stavroula Kadditi BA3 V V V V V OV V V V 8.5 94 80
Liam Whitfield BA3 V V V V V V V V X 9 100 85
Nikolaos Christopoulos BA2 V V V V V V V V OV 8.5 94 65
Keeley Newell BA2 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 55
Jack Smith AT2 X OV V OV OV X X X X 2.5 28 0
Brandon Curtis BA1 V V V V OV V V V V 8.5 94 80
Matthew Abbots AT1 V V V OV V X X X X 4.5 50 0
B3 Jessica Bettesworth BA3 V V V V V V V V X 8 89 90
Angelika Mazzoli-Taic BA3 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Triantafyllia Zacharoglou BA3 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 90
William Hicks BA2 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 90
Thomas Wakelam BA2 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 90
Bethany Coppard BA1 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Deanna Davenport BA1 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Oscar Sale AT1 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
B4 Spyridon Bogiatzis BA3 V V V V X V V V V 8 89 50
Samuel Myatt BA3 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 95
Naomi Bush AT3 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Daniel Given BA2 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 75
Christiana Ioannou BA2 X X X X X OV V V V 3.5 39 45
Pawel Wojcieszak BA2 V OV V V V X X X X 4.5 50 45
Daniel Cornell BA1 V OV V V X V V V V 7.5 83 70
Bridget Eaton BA1 V OV V V V V V V X 7.5 83 65
B5 Stephen Boundy BA3 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A V V V V 9 100 95
James Cahill BA3 V V V OV V V V V V 8.5 94 95
Elise Power BA3 V V V V V V V V X 8 89 85
Oliver Sharp AT3 X X V OV X X X X X 1.5 17 0
Rebecca Mayo BA2 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 90
Emily Cooke AT2 V V V V X X X X X 4 44 0
Oliver Coulson BA1 V V V OV X X X X X 3.5 39 50
Timothy Emery BA1 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 80
Tom Clarke BA1 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A V V V V 9 100 95
V = PRESENT - X = ABSENT - OV = LATE BUT PRESENT
Thursday Friday ATTENDANCE ATTENDANCE
Group First Name Surname Stage 09:00 10:30 12:20 13:45 16:30 09:00 11:20 12:55 15:30 OUT OF 9 PERCENTAGE EFFORT
B1 Ebru Akkaya BA3 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 60
Christina Chrysafi BA3 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 60
Yannick Scott BA3 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Panagiotis Balagiannisis BA2 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
George Morley BA2 V V V OV V V OV X X 6 67 55
Daniel Murphy AT2 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Richard Cox BA1 V V V OV V V V V X 7.5 83 65
Benedict Falkner BA1 X X X X X V V V X 3 33 55
B2 Leonidas Avramidis BA3 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Stavroula Kadditi BA3 V V V V V OV V V V 8.5 94 80
Liam Whitfield BA3 V V V V V V V V X 9 100 85
Nikolaos Christopoulos BA2 V V V V V V V V OV 8.5 94 65
Keeley Newell BA2 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 55
Jack Smith AT2 X OV V OV OV X X X X 2.5 28 0
Brandon Curtis BA1 V V V V OV V V V V 8.5 94 80
Matthew Abbots AT1 V V V OV V X X X X 4.5 50 0
B3 Jessica Bettesworth BA3 V V V V V V V V X 8 89 90
Angelika Mazzoli-Taic BA3 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Triantafyllia Zacharoglou BA3 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 90
William Hicks BA2 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 90
Thomas Wakelam BA2 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 90
Bethany Coppard BA1 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Deanna Davenport BA1 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Oscar Sale AT1 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
B4 Spyridon Bogiatzis BA3 V V V V X V V V V 8 89 50
Samuel Myatt BA3 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 95
Naomi Bush AT3 X X X X X X X X X 0 0 0
Daniel Given BA2 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 75
Christiana Ioannou BA2 X X X X X OV V V V 3.5 39 45
Pawel Wojcieszak BA2 V OV V V V X X X X 4.5 50 45
Daniel Cornell BA1 V OV V V X V V V V 7.5 83 70
Bridget Eaton BA1 V OV V V V V V V X 7.5 83 65
B5 Stephen Boundy BA3 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A V V V V 9 100 95
James Cahill BA3 V V V OV V V V V V 8.5 94 95
Elise Power BA3 V V V V V V V V X 8 89 85
Oliver Sharp AT3 X X V OV X X X X X 1.5 17 0
Rebecca Mayo BA2 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 90
Emily Cooke AT2 V V V V X X X X X 4 44 0
Oliver Coulson BA1 V V V OV X X X X X 3.5 39 50
Timothy Emery BA1 V V V V V V V V V 9 100 80
Tom Clarke BA1 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A V V V V 9 100 95
References
BHB Architects, 2003, www.bhbarchitects.co.uk/images/guidance_on_fees.pdf
[Accessed 09/04/2014]
Chappel, D., Willis, A., 2010, The Architect in Practice, Ed.10. Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester
Cladco, Trisommet 333, 2014, http://www.cladco.co.uk/products/trisommet-333-insulat-
ed-panels-roofng-and-cladding [Accessed 09/04/2014]
Devon.Gov, 2010, Planning Applications, https:/ /www.devon.gov.uk/planning
applications [Accessed 10/02/2014]
Langdon, D., 2007, Spons Architects and Builders Price Book, Ed. 132. TJ International
Ltd. Cornwall
North Devon.Gov, Charges from Jan 2011, 2011, www.northdevon.gov.uk/table of
charges fromjan 2011 a.pdf [Accessed 10/02/2014]
NSBRC, 2013, http://www.nsbrc.co.uk/ [Accessed 08/04/2014]
Planning Portal, 2001, English Fees, www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/english fees-feb
201 O.pdf [Accessed 10/02/2014]
Railway Sleeper, White Oak, 2014, http://www.railwaysleeper.co.uk/product_info.php/
character-grade-unfnished-american-white-oak-fooring-p-108?gclid=CIW8jri_7LwCFXG-
WtAoddHkAzg [Accessed 09/04/2014]
Wenban Timber Shop, Western Red Cedar Shiplap Cladding, 2014, http://wenbantim-
bershop.co.uk/Western-Red-Cedar-Shiplap-Cladding-18mm-x-141mm-Sussex


64
Bibliography
Awan, N. et al, 2011. Spatial agency: other ways of doing architecture, NY: Routledge,
New York
BHB Architects, 2010, Guidance on Fees, http://www.bhbarchitects.co.uk/images/guid-
ance_on_fees.pdf [Accessed 01/02/2014]
Chappel, D., Willis, A., 2010, The Architect in Practice, Ed.10. Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester
FS-Architecture, 2009, A clients guide to engaging an architect, http://www.fs-architec-
ture.co.uk/pdfs/engaging_an_architect.pdf [Accessed 01/02/2014]
Langdon, D., 2007, Spons Architects and Builders Price Book, Ed. 132. TJ International
Ltd. Cornwall
North Devon Council, 2011, Building Control Services Charges, http://www.northdevon.
gov.uk/table_of_charges_from_jan_2011a.pdf [Accessed 10/02/2014]
PlanningPortal.gov.uk, 2012, A guide to the Fees for Planning Applications in England,
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/english_fees-feb_2010.pdf [Accessed
10/02/2014]
RIBA, 2010, RIBA Fees Calculator, http://www.architecture.com/fles/membersonly/char-
teredpractice/ribafeescalculator-introduction.pdf [Accessed 28/02/2014]
RIBA, 2008, Explaining an architects services, http://www.architecture.com/fles/ribapro-
fessionalservices/professionalconduct/disputeresolution/practicalmatters/explainingser-
vices.pdf [Accessed 28/02/2014]
65
Anglo & Chinese Architects
Critical Feasibility Report
Shebbear Community Caf
Shebbear Village Hall
Shebbear
Beaworthy
EX21 5QR
Client: Shebbear Village Hall Community Group
Contact: Rebecca Weale
Phone: 01409 281143
Mobile: 07985141152
Email: Rebecca.Weale7@gmail.com
Report by Ben M Pitcher of Plymouth University
Professional Studies, M.Arch Masters of Architecture
10205005, Tutor: Alona Martinez-Perez
With thanks to:
Alona Martinez-Perez
Rebecca Weale
Simon Weale
James Neep
Louise Kent
Barry Hunt
Robert Brown
The Students of Shebbear College
The BA Students of Plymouth University Group B
This document details the processes and activities
undertaken and involved in the organisation of the
design of a Caf extension for Shebbear Village Hall
Community Group. The document also explains and
refects upon the organisation and results of the Ver-
tical Team Project engagement. Included are the
designs generated during the VTP and the subse-
quent collaborative design, this is expanded into a
detailed Architects and Contractors Programme,
Brief and Costing, calculated from Building Regula-
tions drawings.
Project Size ~ 40sqm
Project Estimated Cost ~ 36,000 (900/sqm)