Office of International Education Carnegie Mellon University Warner Hall, Third Floor Pittsburgh, PA 15213 Tel: 412.

268.5231 Fax: 412.268.7832

Website: International Students & Scholars: Study Abroad and Exchange:


This handout applies to you if you will soon complete your current program at Carnegie Mellon and start a new program. This includes: • Students who will change educational level (such as bachelors to masters or masters to doctorate) • Students who will enter the master’s portion of an integrated master’s program • Graduate students who will start a new program at the same educational level (i.e., a student who has completed one masters program and will start in a new one, or who is transferring from one graduate program to another) Students who will change their program must contact the Office of International Education at least 30 days before either a) their current I-20/DS-2019 completion date or b) the change of program goes into effect, whichever comes first. This handout does not apply to undergraduates who are changing major. If you are an undergraduate and you are changing your major, you will be issued a new I-20 or DS-2019 automatically when your information updates in SIS (the Student Information System). If you do not receive notification from OIE of a new I-20 within 10 days of the change, you should contact us. II. CONDITIONS AND LIMITATIONS 1. You may apply for a change of program if: a. The expected completion of studies date on your I-20 or DS-2019 has not passed (Item #5 on the I-20, Item #3 on the DS-2019), and b. You are currently in lawful F-1 or J-1 status, and c. Your new program will begin within 5 months of the completion of your old program. 2. You must apply for an extension prior to the end date on your I-20/DS-2019 AND prior to completion of your current program. You should contact the Foreign Student Advisor at least 30 days before this date to allow for ample time to complete your application. 3. Allow one week for the production of a new I-20 or DS-2019 following the submission of complete paperwork. See instructions below for an explanation of what to submit to OIE. If you do not meet the requirements for a change of level listed above, you may need to exit the country and reenter in a new F-1 or J-1 status. In this case, immediate consultation with the Foreign Student Advisor is necessary.


Provided you meet all the requirements, the Foreign Student Advisor will authorize the extension. To apply, follow the steps below. STEP 1: Be informed Read this handout thoroughly and carefully.


Updated 11/2005

STEP 2: Receive proof of acceptance into your new program You must verify that you have been accepted into the new program. This proof may be either 1. The acceptance letter that you received when you were admitted into the new program, or 2. The “Verification of Admission and Financial Support” form (PAGE 3, attached) STEP 3: Obtain Proof of Financial Support Provide proof of financial support for the new program. For department funding, you may use the “Verification of Admission and Financial Support” form (PAGE 3, attached) or a letter on department letterhead that describes the amount and duration of the support. If you are funded by another source, we will need a letter of support from your sponsor, as well as original supporting financial documents, such as bank letters or salary statements showing that the funds are available. Current year expense estimates are available at: You must prove the availability of sufficient funding to meet your expenses for your first year of study and have a reasonable expectation that the same level of support will be available in subsequent years. STEP 4: Process the Extension with OIE Submit the required documents listed above to OIE. Submit complete applications only (including proof of acceptance and proof of financial support), incomplete paperwork will not be accepted. OIE will generate a new SEVIS I-20 for you. You must keep this and all previous copies of your I20s/DS-2019s, and submit them to an immigration officer when you travel outside the U.S. or apply for any future immigration benefits, or to the Foreign Student Advisor when you apply for benefits, which involve processing by that advisor.


It is your responsibility to comply with all immigration regulations which apply to F-1/J-1 Students. The Foreign Student Advisor will assist you to do this. Remember to contact your Foreign Student Advisor immediately if your I-20/DS-2019 will soon expire or has already expired. If you fail to meet your responsibilities, you may not be eligible to continue (or apply for) benefits provided to nonimmigrant students. For example, you may not be eligible for any type of employment (even on-campus employment through a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship) or to apply for school transfer, practical/academic training or other benefits if you do not file for an extension before your document expires.


Updated 11/2005

Office of International Education Carnegie Mellon University Warner Hall, Third Floor Pittsburgh, PA 15213 Tel: 412.268.5231 Fax: 412.268.7832

Website: International Students & Scholars: Study Abroad and Exchange:

Students in F1 or J1 nonimmigrant status who are admitted to a new level of study or new academic program must obtain a new Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) in order to legally remain in the US. In order to issue this document, Office of International Education must have confirmation of the student’s admission to this new program evidence of the student's financial support (from the department or other sources).

Student: Please complete the following information, and then give this form to the appropriate person in your academic department. If you are not funded by your department, you must provide alternative evidence of financial support (see page 2 of this handout). Student name (please print): __________________________________________________________________ Student ID number:_______________________________ Expected completion date of current program*:_________________ *For combined or accelerated programs, indicate the date you will complete your bachelor’s degree. Academic Department: Please verify the admission and/or financial information for the above-named student.

Academic Department______________________________________ Academic program and degree level admitted to _______________________________ Semester new program begins*_______________________________
*For combined or accelerated programs please indicate the semester the student will begin solely masters-level work.

Anticipated program completion date__________________________ Amount of financial support provided by the department, if any: Amount of monthly stipend $_________________ Amount of tuition $_________________ 9 months [ ] 12 months [ ]

Additional comments, if any __________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________________________ Signature of Department Personnel Date Signed __________________________________________________________________________________________ Name of Department Personnel (Please print) Phone Number or Email address


Updated 11/2005

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful