You are on page 1of 3

Site History

with electricity in January 1915. Parramatta Lancer Barracks


telephone exchange was also converted into an
automatic exchange in 1915. The Lancer Barracks is bounded on the West and
South-West by Smith Street and Station Street in
A network of bus services radiating out from Parramata. It was built between 1818 and 1820
Parramatta Site end. On 2 June 1791, the site was named Par-ra- Parramatta was crucial to maintaining its by architect Lieutenant John Watts. It had been
mat-ta (the place where eels lie) by Governor Arthur predominance. When economic conditions improved used to house the British troops who garrisoned
Parramatta sits on the bank of the Parramatta Phillip. in 1933, the commercial centre of Parramatta the colony of New South Wales.The Governor,
river, 23 kilometers west of the Sydney's CBD remained focused on Church Street between Lachlan Macquarie recognised he was building the
area and is said to be the 2nd Sydney's CBD. Its The river, however, remained for some time the Macquarie and Phillip Streets. Following the post infrastructure for a future nation and had them built
history stretches back to 200 years ago when the more popular, and comfortable, means of transport. war period, a retail building boom gave rise to a to last, eventually they were occupied by the New
British colony arrived in 1788. At that time the area Travel by water was preferred as it reduced the number of prominent developments such as the South Wales Lancers, becoming an integral part
was originally occupied by the Aboriginal Darug threat of attack by Aboriginals and convict escapees. David Jones and Grace Bros buildings. of Australia's Military history, and the history of the
people for nearly forty thousand years. The site By the end of 1793, a ferry service from Sydney to Parramatta Community.
of Parramatta was discovered by Governor Arthur Parramatta had been established using small boats. From the 1940s through to 1990s, the populations
Phillip and a small party on 23 April 1788. He found grow rapidly. Work had become more decentralised.
this area is ideal for settlement with its fertile soils The second stage of the planning of Parramatta took Local manufacturing boomed when land-use zoning,
and abundance of plant, animal and marine life, place in 1811 when extensions to the town were combined with shortage of suitable inner city sites,
so in November he selected this site and sent men laid out by Governor Macquarie, to accommodate a caused a shift to Parramatta. It was becoming clear
and stores to clear the land and construct buildings rapidly growing population. Constrained by the river, that the centre of metropolitan Sydney’s population
were landed a mile downstream from the planned the city expanded south and existing streets were was shifting west to Parramatta and its regional role
settlement. High Street which now is known as re-sized, including the narrowing of High Street from would become even more significant.

Today, strong elements of Parramatta’s original


urban fabric remain, including the Georgian street
layout and key historic buildings, spaces and
landscape features. Many of the closeup and
long distance views of its historic buildings and
landscape settings have also been retained. In Lancer Barracks in 1860s
addition to this, Parramatta’s rich archaeological
resources from 1788 and onwards have potential
to provide valuable insight into some of the lost
understanding of Australia’s past history.
St John's Church

The first church opened on this site in 1803.


It became the church of Samuel Marsden, the
"Flogging Parson". It was the only church in the
colony until 1809. In 1810 Macquarie began
remodelling, and the towers were completed in
1819. The original building was demolished in
1851, replaced by the current structure designed by
James Houison. The transepts were added in 1882
George Street were built. By 1789, some barracks approximately 61 metres to its present 20 metres. At
by Edmund Blackett.
and stores were erected on the south bank of the roughly the same time, Governor Macquarie called
river, also developed with some convict huts, barn for the extension of Church Street to connect the
and granaries. James Ruse started cultivating the colony with the newly constructed Sydney Road
Elizabeth Farm
land called Experiment Farm which was given by (now Parramatta Road) lying just to the south.The
Governor Phillip. The success of the experiment construction of Lennox Bridge at around this time, a
In 1793 the Macarthurs moved to Elizabeth Farm
became the foundation stone for the colony. northern extension of Church Street, and the
in Parramatta and by 1798 the farm had been
emergence of new towns in the surrounding
extended to over 500 acres. The farm house was
In 1790, a township was planned and work began hinterland facilitated the colony’s expansion north
sited on a low ridge above the banks of Clay Cliff
on a house for Governor Phillip.The plan of the beyond the river.
Creek with a commanding view of the wharf, the
township was on a grand scale on instructions from
barracks and the store. It was built in the style of an
the Governor. The High Street (now George Street) The construction of a major east-west railway line
18th century English Georgian vernacular cottage
was to be 62 metres wide, spanning on an eastwest in 1855 concentrated development between the
and was transformed into a substantial Colonial
axis from Government House to the public wharf. railway and the river, and steady growth occurred in
Regency homestead over the next 40 years.
Another major street planned was the Church Street the city until a depression in the 1890s. Sewerage
Elizabeth Farm is preserved today as the oldest
perpendicular to the High Street with the Town Hall scheme was completed in 1910. Electricity entered
homestead in Australia and is regarded as having
on its north end and St. Johns Church on its south Parramatta houses in 1913 and the streets were lit
national significance.
Parramatta...changing through
the history

Church Street

George Street

2007
The original school, now as the Arthur Phillip Old
School House Museum

Arthur Phillip High School

Arthur Phillip High School's history dates back


to the days when it was called Parramatta South
Public School (1875-1907), as seen in the above
photograph. It is the oldest public school in the
Parramatta district. The buiding was designed by
G. A. Mansfield and is built in Victorian Gothic style
with a sharp bell tower and shingled spire. It used 1876 1924
to be a school building consisting of 3 rooms, two
of which were music rooms and another being
a staffroom. The classroom contained a tiered
learning platform for 65 infant children. district expanded. During the 1920s, the Parramatta has been planed to be a co-educational high school. 15 School Titles Used on the Site:
District School became an Intermediate High The school was officially recognised as a High
In the 1870s and 1890s, the Parramatta district School for boys and the Girls' School was called a School in January 1960. There have been addtions Parramatta South Public School: 1875-1907
progressed quickly with the town water supply Domestic Science School. In February 1922, a new to the school. The building containing the Principal's Parramatta Evening Public School: 1881
upgraded and the railway connected, so an Evening Secondary Boys' Department building facing Smith office was completed in 1962, while construction Parramatta South Superior School:1887-1907
Public School was held. A "tent school" was erected Street was completed. It was a 2 storey building of began on the 3 storey section of the school in Parramatta District School: 1907-1927
on the site for the Infants Department in 1882 to 8 rooms. A 2 storey Infants Block of 10 classrooms early 1968. The construction of the Gymnasium Parramatta Continuation School: 1915-1943
solve accommodation problem. New buildings was constructed in 1924. This helped relieve the commenced in 1965. Later on some demountable Parramatta Intermediate High:1915-1943
had been built in 1889 to accommodatie over 300 accommodation situation. However, the classrooms classrooms were built onto the site. Thus, the school Parramatta Public School: 1928+
pupils. In 1887, the school was qualified as a were still not enough. came into being. Parramatta Superior Girls' School
superior public school which super primary courses Parramatta Domestic Science School
were provided for pupils whished to progress to In 1934 approximately 600 girls left the site to attend Parramatta Commercial & Household Art School
secondary education.The building of a seperate the new Parramatta Superior Domestic Science Parramatta Boys' Junior High: 1944
girls's school on the site took place in 1890. School. This school is now known as Macarthur Parramatta Central School
Girls' High School. The accomodation proplem Macquarie Boys' High: 1956-7
As the demand and enrolments for post primary were eased. In 1944, the Boys' Intermediate High Parramatta Secondary School: 1958-9
school increased, District Schools developed. In School was renamed Parramatta Boys' Junior High Arthur Phillip High School: 1959...
1907 the school became known as Parramatta School. After the Second World War, the population
District School. It had an Infants, Primary and in Parramatta increased. Land was purchased in
Secondary section. By 1918 the enrolment had Macquarie Street. By 1957, the new buildings were
risen to 1567 students in 30 classes with only 25 completed.
classrooms to accommodate them. Local church
halls were used where possible. In 1959, Mr. R. Mobbs who was in charge of the
secondary classes suggested the name Arthur
In the period after World War 1, the Parramatta Phillip to be used for the new High School which Arthur Phillip High School today

Related Interests