You are on page 1of 24

(Photo by Ted Koston

By E. E. "Buck" Hilbert
President, Antique-Classic Division
Pilots don't need enemies - there are always other pilots! Does that sound bad? It does
and it's true.  Individually, pilots are great. But, collectively, they don't amount to much. Ac-
customed to making individualistic decisions because of the nature of the job, they tend to
act as individuals all the time. They become vocal on almost any subject - you'll get an
opinion, solicited or not, with a very strong affirmative argument. But ask them to do some-
thing to improve, or save, or expand the thing they like to do most, fly, and they become meek,
voiceless, almost invisible men.
The NPRMs that EAA Headquarters tries so hard to call to your attention are examples.
Of the more than 44,000 active members and nearly 500 Chapters, there were fewer than 100
written comments received at EAA Headquarters on a recent important matter. Talking with
FAA Academy Flight Instructor Refresher Team members at the last seminar in Chicago, I
made it a point to ask what replies had come in from individuals on a recent NPRM - thirty-
four, was the answer. There are more kids than that in my son's 2nd grade class and every-
one of them wrote to Santa Claus 'cause they wanted something.
The reference I made to enemies is defined this way. Every time an NPRM comes out (and
comments are solicited on each and everyone), if we don't make comments, good or bad, we
undermine our position and lose a little. We give away our rights a piece at a time and if the
proposal does become a rule (law) and we don't like it or can't live with it, then whose fault
is it? We  are our own enemies. Specially, we are cheating our fellow pilots and ourselves by
withholding written comments. We need a strong united voice, and just because we are EAA
members and EAA is strong on sport flying, we can't leave it all up to the few who do under-
stand the import of the written reply. Let's get with it, guys - if EAA is your selected voice
in sport aviation, then you'd better support that voice. Let's give that voice some basso pro-
fundo that can only be from a chorus of thousands rather than just a very few .
Membership in the EAA Antique-Classic Division is open to all EAA members who have a special
interest in the older aircraft that are a proud part of our aviation heritage. Membership in the Antique-
Classic Division is $10.00 per year which entitles one to 12 issues of The Vintage Airplane published
monthly at EAA Headquarters. Each member will also receive a special Antique-Classic membership
card plus one additional card for one's spouse or other designated family member.
Membership in EAA is $15.00 per year which includes 12 issues of SPORT AVIATION. All mem-
bership correspondence should be addressed to: EAA, Box 229, Hales Corners, Wisconsin 53130.
V   A  
It's a Cirigliano ... A Wiggly What? .. . Jerry Haggerty . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
Reminiscing With Big Nick ... Nick Rezich . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..  7
The Arrowhead Safety Plane .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
Grimes' Goodies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
Charter to Newfoundl and .. . Paul Rizzo . . .... . ... .. . .. . .... .. : ... . . . ........ . . .. .. .. . . ..... ..  13
Antique Treasure Hunting . . . J. R. Nie/ander . .. . .. . . .. .. . ..... . . .. . .. .. . . . . . . .. . . ........ .. .. .  15
Around The Antique/Classic World .. .. . ... . . . ... .. .. .. .. . .... .. .. ... .. . ..... .. . ... . . ..... ... . . 18
ON  THE  COVER  • •  .  Jerry Haggerty and his BACK  COVER  .  .• Winter In Wisconsin.
Cirigliano. Photo by Ted Koston
Photo by Ted Kaston
Publisher - Paul  H. Poberezny  Ed itor - Jack Cox 
Assistant  Ed itor - Gene  Chase  Assistant  Editor - Golda  Cox 
8102  LEECH  RD.  P. O.  BOX  2464 
BOX  181  9  S  135  AERO  DR..  RT.  1 
LYONS.  WIS.  53148  NAPERVILLE, ILL.  60540 
P. O. Box 458  3850  Coronation  Rd.  P. O.  Box 3747  RR  1,  Box  151 
Lumberton. N. C. 28358  Eagan, Minn.  55122  Martinsvill e,  Va. 24112  Stilwell , Kansas  66085 
9635  Sylvia Ave.  7018  W.  Bonniwell  Rd.  RR  18,  Box 127  3536 Whitehall  Dr. 
Northridge,  Calif. 91324  Mequon, Wisc.  53092  Indianapol is, Ind. 46234  Dallas, Texas  75229 
THE  VINTAGE  AIRPLANE  is  owned  exclusively  by  Antique  Classic  Aircraft ,  Inc.  and  is  published 
monthly  at  Hales  Corners,  Wisconsin  53130.  Second  Class  Postage  paid  at  Hales  Corners  Post  Office. 
Hales  Corners.  Wisconsin  53130  and  Random  Lake  Post  Office.  Random  Lake.  Wisconsin  53075. 
Membership  rates  for  Antique  Classic  Aircraft.  Inc.  are  $10.00  per  12  mont h  peri od  of  which  $7.00 
is for the subscription to THE VINTAGE AIRPLANE. Membership is open to all who are interested in aviati on. 
Postmaster:  Send  Form  3579  to Antique  Classic  Aircraft,  Inc.,  Box 229, 
Hales  Corners.  Wisconsin  53130 
Copyright  © 1975  Antique  Classic Aircraft, Inc.  All  Rights  Reserved. 
(Photo by Ted Koston)
Jerry Haggerty and his Warner powered Cirigliano.
By Jerry Haggerty
P. O. Box 136
Elwood, III. 60421
It was 1930 when Serafin Cirigliano pulled up to the
Summit Aviation hangar on Bellanca Field, New Castle,
Delaware with his newly completed but still unassem-
bled biplane . An interested onlooker was John McC.
Morgan, then a boy of fifteen . Mr . Morgan is now Vice
President of Summit Aviation of Middleton, Delaware
and was my main source of information for this article.
Ciggy, as Cirigliano was called, was an engineer for
the Bellanca Aircraft Corporation and a native of Colum-
bia, South America. He built the Cirigliano SC-1 along
the lines of the Curtiss P-1 Hawk fighter of that era and
called it the Baby Hawk. It had an OX-5 engine of 90 hp,
spoke wheels, a tail skid and a positive stagger to the
wings that would make a Beechcraft blush. The radiator
was placed between the gear and the engine was en-
closed with a beautiful burnished natural aluminum
Stuart Chadwick, Bellanca's chief test pilot, made the
first flight and on one flight timed the aircraft over Bel-
lanca's speed course at 114 mph. Mr. Chadwick was later
killed spin testing a weird Bellanca designed for the
At a time just before the Second World War, the Cirig-
liano was acquired by Eddie Edwards and Mike Guidi-
das. The OX-5 was removed and a 165 hp Continental
radial engine was installed. The next owner was Ed
Smith. When Ed found the Cirigliano, it was in a bam in
its original configuration, except for the 165 Continental.
Ed dismantled the aircraft and made many modifica-
tions to the fuselage and tail group. The wings remained
original except for a cut-out in the top wing for easier
access to the cockpit and better visibility.
The modification included widening the fuselage
just forward of the cockpit, adding bulkheads and string-
ers to change the fuselage from flat, slab-sided to a
nice rounded shape. He added a 145 Warner radial en-
gine, a Hartzell Selectomatic propeller and modified a
Fairchild F-24 cowling complete with cowl flaps . A 4 gal-
lon oil tank was installed along with two fuel tanks, a
main holding 20 gallons and an aux of 17 gals . This gave
a total of 37 gallons and a range of about 400 miles at
125 mph.
The tail group was changed and the rudder was given
a forward sweep like a Mooney tail (did Mooney copy
this?). Then, Ed added the two round stabilizers to the
horizontal stabilizer ends to give it a Bellanca Cruisair
look in keeping with its Bellanca heritage. Ed also added
a baggage compartment behind the cockpit with access
through  a  hatch  on  the  left  side  of  the  fuselage .  After 
completing  his  modifications,  he  used  the  Cirigliano  to 
commute  between  New  Castle,  Delaware  and  Camden, 
New Jersey. 
Eventually,  the  Cirigliano  was  sold  to  a  man  in  Chat-
tanooga,  Tennessee.  The  aircraft  traveled  from  owner 
to  owner,  mostly  in  the  southern  states,  and  finally  end-
ed  up  in  Holdrege,  Nebraska  where  I  bought  it  in  the 
spring of  this  past year. 
I  found  the  Cirigliano  to  be  a  nice  handling  aircraft. 
It's  blind  over  the  nose  on  take  off  and  landings;  if  you 
can  see  the  runway,  you're  in  trouble!  Other  than  that, 
it  climbs  1000-plus  fpm,  cruises  at  125-130  mph.  Land-
ing  approach  is  65  mph and stall  occurs  at 45  mph. 
I  find  the  elevator  to  be  the  most  sensitive  control 
and  the  Cirigliano  will  loop  with  very  little  effort.  Slow 
rolls  take  a  little  more  attention.  It's  no  Pitts,  but  it  does 
nice  Sunday afternoon  aerobatics. 
Mr.  Morgan  says  he  lost  track  of  Mr.  Cirigliano  in  the 
mid-30s  and  he  believes  he  returned  to  South  America. 
Ed  Smith  is  now  74  years  old  and  a  retired  shop  fore-
man  for  Summit  Aviation.  He  is  still  flying  a  1936  Ryan 
SCW  powered  by a  145  Warner (what else!). 
So  thanks  to  you,  Ed  Smith,  and  to  you,  Mr.  Cirigli-
ano,  wherever  you  are  - your  craftsmanship  is  admired 
by  many. 
Wing  Span .......... ..... . .......... . .........  27  feet 
Length  ........... .. .. ......... .... . ..  17 feet  6  inches 
Empty  Weight ..... . .............. . . .........  1521  lbs. 
Gross  Weight  ........ . .. . .. . ...... . .. .......  22001bs. 
Baggage  ...... . .... .... . . ...... . ........ ......  701bs. 
Power  ... . .. ..... . , . . .. ... ... . ... ..  145  Warner  Radial 
Range  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..  400  miles 
Fuel  ..... ....... .... .. . . ........ . .. .... ....  37  gallons 
Cruise  .... ... ......... ..... ... . . ... . ... .  125-130  mph 
Stall  .... .... .... ...... .. ............. . ....... 45  mph 
Never  Exceed  Speed  ..... .. .. . ... ....... . . ...  180  mph 
(Photo  Courtesy of the  Author) 
Structure  of the  Cirigliano  in  its  original  configuration. 
This  photo  was  taken  in  1928, supposedly by  G. M. Bel-
(Photo  Courtesy of the  Author) 
Serafin  Cirigliano  and his OX-5  powered  " Baby Hawk"  in  1930. 
(Photo Courtesy of the Author)
(The Informer, Summit Aviation, Middleton, Delaware)
The Cirigliano as modified by Eddie Edwards and Mike Guidi-
Ed Smith and his Ryan SCW. He modified
das. Must have been quite a performer with the 165 Continen-
the original Cirigliano into its present con-
tal .
. . (Photo by Ted Koston)
~ e s s n   gear, Bellanca hOrizontal tal! , a rudder later used by Mooney - a lot of innovation crammed
Into one small biplane.
Nick Rezich
I have been a racing nut ever since I was knee high
to a tailskid and still am. Going to the air races to me was
like going to church - it was very spiritual. The "spirit"
has never left me, but it did turn my life around at one
point which led to the opening of the world famous "Py-
lon Club".
Before we go any further, I have some apologies. I
don't know if this article will make the January issue or
not. If it does, then your issue is very late getting to you
because of me, and I'm sorry. (Not really - things have
been hectic all over - Editor)
I have been asked by many of the younger genera-
tion to tell about the Pylon Club. There is so much to tell
about the club that I just didn't know where to start.
When I did start this episode over a month ago and had
written over 60 pages I threw them aU away because they
all read the same - "self centered" - I have searched
my brain for weeks trying to find words that don't reflect
an egomania image. The more I wrote, the worse it be-
came. Finally, my daughter solved my problem.
After the 50th start, she said, "Daddy, you know what
you are - so why try hiding the truth?" With that state-
ment I grounded her for a week and am proceeding with
the Pylon Club story.
Air racing faced certain doom following the 1949
fatal crash of Bill Odom and the cancellation of the
Cleveland Air Races.
In the three short years of post war air racing, mil-
lions of dollars were invested in racing machines which
resulted in 400 mph speeds in the Unlimiteds and over
200 mph in the Midgets. Mechanical and technical bar-
riers were being smashed that would benefit aviation
when that black curtain was dropped at Cleveland.
No matter what the race pilots and owners had to say
in their defense, the news media, FAA and airport man-
4213 Centerville Rd.
Rockford, III . 61102
agement along with the general public hollered kill! kill!
kill! and kill it was. With Cleveland out of the racing pic-
ture, this left Miami as the only remaining hope to air
racing survival. Fortunately for the Midgets, Miami and
Continental Motors went on with the winter races. The
Unlimiteds, however, were not as fortunate, they were
locked out with no one willing to sponsor them because
they were labeled as dangerous by a few block heads
who sponsors listened to.
I could not fathom the thought of air racing coming to
a grinding halt after 39 years of struggling to become
an international sport. I had a personal interest and an
investment at stake that I didn't want to see going up in
smoke. My personal interest was in the form of a new
design Midget racer I had started, and the investment
was a commitment I had made in Cleveland before the
fatal crash of Odom. I committed myself to a group of
owners from Michigan who owned a sharp P-51 that
wasn't doing well at Cleveland that I would purchase
their racer at the close of the 1949 races.
I managed to get out from under the -51 after the
race canceUation, but I was determined to build and race
the Midget. These were the events which set the stage
for the Pylon Club.
I needed a platform to launch my campaign to save
air racing. It had to be a platform where I could reach
the public, news media, the business world, FAA and
other interested parties. How and where? The "where"
was easy - I felt Chicago was the city because Chicago
had been a good racing city, having hosted the 1930
National Air Race, the 1933 American Air Races and the
International Races and it had the airports required for
such an event.
The "how" was yet to be thought of. I went to Miami
for the Continental Motors' Race only to find that Miami
was following Cleveland's decision to drop the air rac-
ing program. Miami had grown to the point where the
winter air races were no longer needed to attract the
tourist. They also dropped the AAA Winter Midget Auto
This really made me unhappy. The loss of another
major racing event coupled with the loss of the week
having fun in the sun was too much to bear. I went home
determined more than ever that I would do something
for air racing - other than talking about it.
The "how" idea came to me while I was flying the
Chicago-Seattle-Chicago-Burbank run for the non-
scheds. Those 10 hour flights gave a guy a lot of time to
dream, and dream I did. I came upon the idea of opening
a fabulous "saloon" that I would call a night club. This
club would have to be something unusual in order to
attract the people I wanted to reach. I designed a very
elaborate saloon that carried the theme of air racing to
its fullest extent - thus became the "Pylon Club".
When I announced my plan to my brother Frank, who
was my partner in the Midget, he thought I had flipped .
His reaction to the idea was, " What the hell do you know
about running a saloon?" - and, "What are you going to
use for money?" I explained to him that any dummy can
pour a beer and that I still had the money from the sale
of my Culver Cadet. With that he shook his head, took a
bite out of his cigar butt and went back to welding on the
My original idea was to locate in downtown Chicago,
but a saloon keeper friend of mine talked me out of that
idea in a hurry explaining that, between the coppers and
the gangsters, I wouldn' t last 6 months unless I put
them on the payroll and they would eventually own the
I shifted my thoughts to the Midway Airport area, the
eventual location. The exact location was 3017 W. 63rd
Street which was 2% miles east of Midway. This loca-
tion put me between the A.L.P.A. Headquarters and Dr.
Fenwick's office, the doctor who gave most all of the
FAA physicals on the south side. For the sake of you
historians we were located just 2 blocks east of where
Benny Howard built the first Howard DCA-B.
Flying for Monarch Air Service, the non-sched kept
me out of town quite a bit which kept the project on low
burner. Time was slipping by when fate struck a blow
that put us in high blower.
The non-sched I was working for hired a new chief
pilot from Miami where he was flying a Lockheed "Lob-
ster". We were operating three DC-3s, three C-46s and
a Lockheed 10. This new guy never even 'rode in a C-46
but had lied that he was type rated in the DC-3 and C-46.
He started out by riding with the pilots in the DC-3s
on the pretense he was checking them out until he was
able to stagger around well enough not to kill himself.
He then moved to the C-46 where he met his Waterloo
- which ended up putting the company out of business.
It happened at Midway one night about 11:00 p. m.
Being the end of the month, all the captains had run out
of time but there was one more schedule to fly so the
Head Honcho decides he would fly the trip. Larry Craw-
ford, Sr. brought the ship in from Miami and landed on a
glazed ice runway at Midway with no problem. The air-
plane had no squawks so the Honcho fills it with gas and
skulls and files for LCA. He cranked up and taxied to
31L without losing it on the ice, but about a quarter
way down the runway he did loose it. For take off pow-
er in the -46 he was using DC-3 settings and when he
lost it, he pulled it off at about 80 mph. It came off, but
not for long - that over-grossed pig fell back in and
there was no room to stop it on the ice. The co-pilot,
who knew how to fly the -46, moved in and advanced the
throttles to max power. From my house it sounded like
he double clutched it. Now the Chief Honcho moves in
again and pulls it off, only this time he is off the run-
way and headed for John Casey's house, the airport
manager. Before he gets to the house, John's BT-13
interrupts the flight. The nose, wings and engines clear
the BT-13 but not the tail. He ripped off the stabilizer
and flipper on one side and now the -46 is hanging on
the screaming props and no tail. The airplane turned
south and settled into the only open field with outside
hay storage for a perfect vertical decent landing. Every-
body got out without injury and then the -46 very con-
veniently burned.
When the hearings we re over Zlnd we found out thi s
clown' s reZlI nZlme ,1I1d that hl:' was not type rated in the
46 or DC-3, the ins urance wa s GlnceJled on the c,uri er
il nd Monarch went out of th e bi g airplane non-sched
business. And I \V,l S out of a jllb.
About three da ys later myoid FAA buddy, the late
Walter BI,lI1ford, ca ll ed from St. Loui s and offered me,
Fra nk and Monarch Air Se rvices original chi e f pilot ,
Fra nk Arlasbs, a job with Pilrks Airlines, which later
beca me Ozark. I stil yed on in St. Loui s for il whil e but
the Pylon Club idea and ,lir show tlying didn' t mi x with
Parks. So I Cilme back to Chi cago tll start work on the
The building I used turned out to be one quarter the
size of my origin'll plans. This WZl S dictated by the pri ce
of the rent, heat and light. The next awakening was the
prices for the decor and insurance.
I licked some of the decor costs by calling on a for-
mer Howard Aircraft employee, Mike Bernat, who turned
to interior decorating after Howard closed. We took my
original layout and shrunk it to fit the smaller building.
We added Mike Bernat's ideas for the final outcome. I
could save 500 words here if I had a photo of the interior
of the Club. But believe it or not out of the hundreds of
photos taken by magazines, newspapers, customers
and friends I do not have a photo of the place. I'll tell
you why later.
You will have to use your imagination as I try to give
you a mental picture of the place. For the ceiling we used
parachutes with the harness removed. Mike hung them
in clusters with the top center fas tened to the ceiling
and the canopies hanging inverted. At the edges where
the chutes met the walls we rolled the surplus and at-
tached it in a scalloped form. The end result was a very
decorative and highly insulated acoustical ceiling.
The main theme was carried into the walls. We divid-
ed the walls into four large sections, each of which
would have a 3-D mural of the various racing events .
Mike Bernat designed, built and installed the four huge
cornices which would frame the murals.
The murals were a major undertaking and very costly
in time and money. I had 3-D color photos of Cleveland,
Miami and California races that I wanted reproduced in
full detail on the 20' x 8' sections of wall. At first I
thought I could get them blown up to billboard size like
they use for outdoor advertising, but when I told them I
only wanted one each they thought I was crazy or rich
or both. When they quoted me $4000.00 and no guaran-
tee of quality, I scrubbed the blow-up idea.
I got the bright idea of borrowing a projector to pro-
ject the image on the wall, then trace the whole thing in
charcoal to obtain the detail then paint it. The idea was
great but it didn't work. My brother Mike solved our
problem by recommending a painter he knew. He cau-
tioned me, however, that I would have to keep this guy
sober if I wanted the job to be completed. When t he
painter showed up and I explained to him what I want-
ed, he too told me I was nuts. We finally reached an
agreement on price and time. Now for my $5000.00 mis-
take - the painter asked if I wanted the paintings on
canvas or the wall surfaces. I opted for the wall because
it was cheaper, I thought, which I was to regret later.
Next project was the identifier. My original plans
called for beacon on the roof and a huge neon lighted
pylon out front . When I approached the landlord and in-
formed him I was going to erect a beacon tower on the
roof, he flipped and darn near ran me out of town. Next
to get shot down was the neon lighted pylon.
First, the building would have to be beefed up to
hold it, next a special permit from the city was re-
quired, extra insurance and when I got the price from
the sign company to build it, I gave up and opted for a six
foot script lettered Pylon Club neon sign. I was fast
learning about the saloon business . Here I am, three
weeks away from my proposed opening date and I am
broke and borrowing - and with six week's work left
to finish .
The sign painter by now has polished off about three
cases of gin, but was doing one hell of a good job. I took
my chances with the painter and kept pouring the gin,
and about another case later he finished the job. BE-
LIEVE YOU ME, when he finished it was a CHAMPION
OF CHAMPIONS - it was a masterpiece. The only thing
missing was the whine of the engines and the roar of
the crowd. We all sat back to admire Jeffs work and
drank a toast to the masterpiece when I got the brilliant
idea of just one more painting. After we all destroyed a
bottle of booze, I asked Jeff if he would paint a panor-
amic view of the racers on the race course at Cleveland
on the window up front facing the street. By now he was
so wrapped up in the place and so full of enthusiasm
and booze that he agreed. This painting turned out to
be a classic. Up until now we had the window covered so
no one could see in while we were working.
When Jeff started to paint that window, I had to bar
the door. Everybody wanted in - finished or not. In the
meantime we fixed up the back bar with a big OX-5
Hamilton prop I borrowed from my brother Mike. A pyra-
mid of Carl Hubbell's black bordered pre-war Thompson
Trophy winners were hung on the wall. Red and white
checkered pylons were placed all over the place, along
with trophies and a whole slew of photos of racers ,
people and events. Between the Hubbell paintings and
the OX-5 prop hung a beautiful painting of our Midget
racer No. 43. This painting was a gift from Paul Schaupp,
builder of "Mr. Zip" No. 27 Midget racer, from Ingle-
wood, California.
Before we opened formally, we had a premier show-
ing for the aviation and public press and other selected
guests who made the Pylon Club possible. We named
the murals as follows: the south half of the west wall
was the Art Chester Wall, this was a painting of Art
Chester taking off at the San Diego Races minutes be-
fore he was killed.
The north half was the Goodyear Wall with a large
shot of one of the Goodyear Pylons with Bill Brennand
rounding the bend. North half of the east wall was the
Cleveland Wall with a shot of the 1947 finish, and the
south half was the Betty Skelton Wall. This wall had the
shot of Betty' s "Lil Stinker" at Miami winning the akro
Next month: Pylon Club Happenings.
Last month we ran a picture from the May 1932 issue
of Popular Aviation on a tailless, biplane pusher said
to be " the last work of Glenn Curtiss". Lew Casey of the
National Air and Space Museum is a well known Curtiss
authority (he is working on a Curtiss book that will be
the definitive work on the subject) and has generously
shared with the readers of The Vintage Airplane several
items on our " mystery" pusher. One of these is a May
1931 Popular Aviation article on the " Arrowhead Safety
Plane" - the actual name of our erstwhile Curtiss.
Among other things, this article confirms our notion of
a connection with the Dunne aircraft of an earlier era.
We would still hope to obtain additional information
from others of you on this interesting aircraft. How did
it perform? For what was it used during its flying days
in the Miami area? What was its eventual disposition?
-Jack Cox
By E. W. Sudlow
The November issue of Popular  Aviation  contained
a brief announcement of a radical craft - the Arrowhead
Safety plane. To say the least it is an unusual craft - a
tailless, pusher type - and far different from the ap-
pearance of the conventional plane. The late Glenn Cur-
tiss was exceedingly interested in and devoted con-
siderable time during the latter days of his life to this
design. He called it the future"Air Flivver".
The plane is a biplane, with a three-wheel landing
gear. The wings are mounted with a sweepback of ap-
proximately 30 degrees. The ship derives its name of
"Arrowhead" from the lack of fuselage. A short cock-
pit and engine nacelle is designed to carry any engine
of from 25 to 50 hp.
The principles of governing the practical applica-
tion of inherent stability in tailless airplanes were first
discovered by Lieutenant Dunne, of the British Army.
Under his direction a series of experiments to deter-
mine the value of the idea were carried out in England.
At Marblehead, Mass ., a number of tailless airplanes
embodying the Dunne ideas were constructed by the
Burgess Airplane Co. in 1913-15.
These planes were put through severe tests and
conclusively demonstrated that inherent stability and
simplicity in flying technique were to be had in this type.
Though crude as to constructional detail, and inefficient
from an aerodynamical standpoint, these early planes
had inherent stability and ease of flying characteristics
which marked them as a thing apart from the other planes
of the day.
The advent of the World War put a stop to the experi-
mental development work on this highly interesting and
unique type of aircraft. Recently, however, interest in
the tailless plane has been rearoused, and today exten-
sive experiments are under way in both England and
The first plane of this type to be built in the United
States since the World War was flown at the AlI-Ameri-
can Air Races at Miami, in January, 1931. Considerable
attention was attracted to the unique plane and its per-
formance .
Commercial production of the Arrowhead tailless
plane has been undertaken and the program announced
by the company calls for immediate construction of
three or four experimental ships.
All of these designs are concentrated around the
one basic type - the tailless airplane. Radical improve-
ments in the system of controls, the landing gear, pas-
senger comfort and safety, and economy of upkeep and
operation are embodied in the construction.
- everal of the specific improvements which have
been incorporated into this group of tailless planes are
First and most important are the aerodynamical
characteristics which are inherently a part of the tail-
less plane. Absolutely dependable inherent stability in
any weather, freedom from any tendence to stall or
nose dive, the impossibility of going into a tail spin, and
the general incapability of getting into any dangerous
maneuver requiring the skill and judgment of an expert
pilot to recover from.
To some extent these features were to be found in
the first group of Dunne machines built many years ago.
In the present design these typically safe features are
amplified and improved upon and at the same time a
marked improvement in flying efficiency is obtained by
the use of the later type of aerofoil sections.
The only serious objection which was ever brought
up in connection with the tailless Dunne planes has
been entirely overcome by radical changes and improve-
ments in the ailerons and their controlling mechanism.
These improvements involve the use of split ailer-
ons, so hooked up to the control levers that the normal
pitch and banking and steering maneuvers can be ac-
complished, either singly or in combination, by the sole
manipulation of the ailerons themselves.
Another point in favor of the tailless plane is the re-
duced time necessary to learn to operate it. On account
of the instinctive ease in the method of handling the
controls, coupled with its incapability of assuming dan-
gerous attitudes while in flight, the amount of time re-
quired for flying instruction is cut by one-half or to one-
quarter of that necessary in other types of planes.
The Arrowhead Safety plane is an unbelievably sim-
ple machine to fly, and one that very nearly approaches
the fool-proof plane. It is less intricate in construc-
tion, and many parts are eliminated entirely, at a pro-
portionate lowered cost of production.
The landing gear is of a very simple type, utilizing
Goodyear air wheels.
The pusher loca,tion of the motor provides a vastly
safer installation in case of fire than the conventional
tractor offers. Of special interest in connection with the
employment of pusher propellers is the exceptional de-
gree of visibility obtained.
The pi lot and passengers have an unobstruct ed
view forward, to the side and to the rear. There is nothing
wha tever to obstruct the pilot's view in any direction,
which contri butes in no small measure to the facility
wi th which easy and safe landings may be negotiated.
There are no blind spots.
Wi th the use of the pusher type of propeller there are
several other advantages. A propeller with no part of
the airpl ane behind it is more efficient than one in front.
The truth of this is apparent when it is remembered
that in a tractor machine the entire fuselage and tai l
surfaces and a portion of the wings and landing gear
are traveling in the rapidly moving blast of air from the
propeller , thereby increasing the resistance of these
elements some twenty to thirty per cent.
Again, when the motor is mounted at the rear end of
a sh ort fuselage, it is comparatively easy and simple
to silence the harrowing bark of the exhaust. Complete
and perfect silencing can be obtained without serious
loss in efficiency, just as is done today in the modern
motor cars.
The Arrowhead Safety plane is exceptionally com-
pact having a wing spread of only 25 feet , an overall
length of 17 feet , with a total height of 9 feet. It weighs
only 512 pounds empty, seats a pilot and student side-
by-side, and has dual controls .
The tailless airplane is not "just another airplane"
but something new and startling. It has numerous points
of   is sa fer and more stable and is vastly
easier to fly. With all these points in its favor, plus the
lower cost .to and consequently cheaper
pnce at which It can be purchased, it may easily be the
coming "Flivver of the Air", as Mr. Curtiss predicted.
Rare old aviation photos from Don Grimes of
Atlanta, Georgia. Left, a 1919 Loening M-1BS;
below, a Pony Blimp.
(Paul  Rizzo  Photo) 
Right:  Paul  Rizzo's  J-5  Ryan  Brougham  near  Buchans, 
Newfoundland.  The  planks  are  an  improvised  " runway" 
laid  over  the  spongy  earth  of a bog  - too  short,  as it 
turned out,  for a successful  take  off. 
(Paul  Rizzo  Photo) 
Refueling  the  Rizzo  Ryan  in  New-
foundland  while  some  local  people 
get their pictures taken  in  front of an 
airplane.  The  flight  described  in 
this  article  was  approximately  3,000 
miles  in  total  length  - and  is  one  to 
think  about  the  next  time  you  are 
complaining about some airport that 
does not have clean restrooms and a
By  Paul  Rizzo 
72  Lois  Court 
East  Meadow,  NY  11554 
"Plane Vacation Starts in Mud and Ends in Fog." This
was the caption in large letters by the Associated Press in
an article published in the Boston paper.
In the early 1930's, money was tight. Martin Jenson
(1927 Dole Race) dropped into my airport (Barren Island
Airport, next to Floyd Bennett Field, which was under
construction) and wanted to hop passengers in the same
plane he had used in the Dole Race. After talking it over
for a few minutes, we decided there was not enough
business to warrant his stay, so he took off.
A few years later I had a J-5 Ryan Brougham and a
6000 Travel Air 0-6-9) on the line for passenger hopping
and cross country flights. In an effort to increase my
business, I had on several occasions some famous pilots
to fly my ships, namely, George Pond, Roger Q. Williams
and Errol Boyd. But business was bad, and money was
still tight. Clarence Chamberlain also had his ship on the
line hopping passengers. So, when I was approached by a
Mr. McDevitt who asked me if I would consider flying
him and a friend to Newfoundland on July 28, my answer
was "yes". After getting all the details I told him that I
would arrive at a price tag and call him the next day.
We took off July 28 early in the morning with a clear
sky overhead. Weather reports were vague in those days
and suitable air maps were almost non-existent, so I had
secured several automobile maps of Long Island, Massa-
chusetts, Rhode Isla nd, Maine and New Brunswick. I also
had a few tools, one quart of dope, some linen and rib
stitching cord, etc. I could not get a map of Newfoundland,
so I referred to the Road Atlas which showed a scale
of 200 miles to the inch .
My passengers were Robert McDevil le, John Avery
and "Bozo" the monkey. The weather was good until
I got into the area of Rhode Island where the ceiling
dropped to about 300 feet, but the visibility was at least
10 miles . I continued to Boston at abou t 200 ft .  
and set the ship down at Logan Airport, took on gas and
oil while my passengers picked up a sa ndwich for me and
fed Bozo. I didn't thin k Bozo was hungry, for he was busy
enroute sitting on my shoulders "delousing" me! It was
nice to have my head scratched but he sure turned out to
be a pest all the way to Newfoundland. At times he would
completely disappear in the fuselage and go all the way
to the tail (in flight). At other times he was in between
my legs and under the seats.
The ceiling was still around 300 feet but the visibility
was good (10 miles or better) when I took off. There were
no regulations in those days; it was entirely at our o\\'n
discretion whether we fl ew or not, but I took into con-
sideration the many beaches that I could land on in an
emergency along the eastern coast line.
My next stop was St. John, New Brunswick. A few of
the trans-Atlantic planes cracked up at this airport. After
gassing up, I took off for Nova Scotia, but not until I climbed
up to 4000 feet to get over the fog that had completely
obscured the Bi'ly of Fundy, which at thi s point was
approximately 50 miles wide. After crossing the Bay of
Fundy, and admiring the bea utiful rai nbow following the
shadow of my ship above the fog, the solid overcast had
begun to break up and I descended through a hole when
I spotted land and flew contact all the way to Sydney,
Nova Scotia. I set the ship down for the night after having
it refueled and oiled.
The next morning I inquired for a map of Newfound-
land but was told none was available and that they could
not give me any information about the country, as none
of the pilots had ever been there. Newfoundland was only
100 miles from its nearest point to Nova Scotia, but it was
all ocean and out of the shipping lanes. We took off with
a clear sky and no clouds and got as far as Harbor Grace
just short of my destination, St. Johns, when the low fog
started to come in. I proceeded to St. Johns just skimming
the tree tops, with visibility deteriorating, so that I decided
on a 180°. Back we went to Harbor Grace and stayed
overnight. I was asked to sign a register, and in doing
so noted that many of the trans-Atlantic boys who had
departed from this field for Europe had also Signed. I
don't remember much about the field other than that I
think it had been cut out especially for trans-Atlantic
planes. It was a grass field, no lights, just one strip
probably about 5000 feet in length and about 100 feet
wide. I recall that it had only one small building on it.
There were no towns or villages nearby, only St. Johns,
which I think was 40 or 50 miles away. There was not, at
this time, any road that went across Newfoundland. It
only had one railroad track, and the same train travelled
both ways. The next day we took off for st. Johns and
landed at Seely's Field (not sure of the spelling). It was a
grass field with no building on it, nor were there any ships
on the field . I found out that on the previous day they had
a brass band waiting for us . I sure was sorry we had dis-
appointed the crowd and the band. Our stay of a week was
uneventful. There was the Marconi Wireless Station on
top of a mountain and a nice harbor for large oceangoing
boats. Whenever we walked into town I didn't know
whether it was us or the monkey that was the big attrac-
tion, but they all knew we were the fliers from the States .
Codfish were selling for five cents each, regardless of size
or weight. You just paid the nickel and took your pick.
When we took off for our return trip the sky was clear,
but no weather reports were available. Also, another
mascot was added as we had been given a small New-
foundland pup. Now the the trouble started. Every time
the pup closed his eyes for some sleep while lying on the
floor, Bozo would jump down from his perched position
and nip the pup, then jump back up again. After awhile
we got used to this, as he kept it up all the way home.
Newfoundland is about 400 miles from east to west
along the railroad track, but you can save about 50 miles
by flying direct. Half way across Newfoundland the fog
started to roll in from the ocean, the terrain was thickly
wooded with no signs of towns or villages, or roads. I
started to head inland and for the railroad track. The
weather continued to deteriorate, so I followed the rail-
road track and eventually came to a small mining town
which I found out later was Buchans. By now I had less
than 200 ft. ceiling, and visibility was about 1 mile, so I
sure was glad to see the mine and houses. I picked a nice,
open field about half a mile from the mine and made the
shortest landing, I'm sure, ever made with a Ryan. As soon
as the wheels touched the grass, I thought my brakes
had jammed. The wheels sank in the bog (sank deep in
ooze), the ship came to a stop after a run of about 200 feet
and nosed over. The propeller was completely submerged.
Soon many natives came over. With their help we got the
tail down, and to my amazement the propeller looked
O.K. We tried to tow the ship out of the ooze with a horse
2nd wagon, but to no avail.
The natives decided to build a short runway - about
200 feet long - made of planks which they volunteered
to bring from town (refer to pi cture).
[ thought that aft e r a run of a few hundred fee t
I might be able to "yank it off." On a fel'" tries [nosed over
each time and then gave up.
The natives then sugges ted [ look at another spot that
they claimed was good, hard ground. Upon inspecti on, the
ground was hard but very hill y and full of large boulders.
With the aid of at leas t 90 volunt eers <lnd pl enty of rope,
with about a dozen men leading the way by cutting a path
through the trees, we got the ship on the hi gh, hill y
ground. Now the real troubl e began . [ walked over the
grounds and placed low stakes near each boulder; it was to
be sort of a zig- zag take-off, up hill , down hill , turn left ,
turn ri ght , etc. I cleared all the boulders except one on
my left whil e looking on my ri ght to clear another one.
Well, I hit the one on my left and s heared the left wheel
a nd strut off. Upon examina ti on I found the left s trut
broken at the fuselage, the front wing strut bent about
or 20° up and the propell er tip on one blade onl y
had split about 2 inches from the tip.
I was determined to salvage the ship and get it home.
The first thing I did was to cut 2 inches off the split
blade, and cut a similar amount off the other blade. It
tracked pretty good. We welded the broken landing
gear strut and since no small welding tip was available,
we had to use a large tip - I think it was a No. 9. How we
managed to weld it, I still don't know. We straightened
the front wing strut, but I didn't like its looks so I re-
moved some cable that holds the two rear seats down in
the plane and ran it under the strut from the fuselage
fitting to the wing fitting for extra strength while in the
air. With the cloth and dope I had with me I repaired all
the fabric cuts and tears . Now the ship looked fairly air-
worthy, but I didn't want to risk another take-off.
I started asking a lot of questions about solid, smooth
terrain. One miner suggested I look at the ore behind the
mine, as he thought that might be hard enough. Upon in-
vestigation I found this was the best yet, but knew it
would be risky. This was my last hope to get the plane off.
I thanked the men for all they had done; I had told them
in the beginning that I couldn't pay for all this. Their only
reward was that I would allow them to write their names
on the ship. After about a hundred signatures, I was ready
to give it another try. I bade them all "good-bye", sat the
two passengers in the rear seat, told them to hold on to
Bozo and the dog, gave it the gun and took off with the
tail barely off the ground. I had previously flattened
the blade a few degrees, that gave me an extra 200 rpm. We
were on our way after I gave the crowd a "buzz" job.
We passed the tip of Newfoundland (Port Aux Basques)
and started across the 100 miles of ocean. After one hour
of flying over the ocean, where Nova Scotia should have
been, I saw nothing but fog in front of me, to my left and
to my right. I tried to get under it and got down to 100
feet, but saw that it was right down to the water. I did
a 180°, climbed to about 4000 feet and did another 180°.
I knew I was over Nova Scotia but wouldn't dare go
through the solid overcast as there were no "holes. " So
back we went to Newfoundland and landed at the tip of
Port-Aux-Basques on a very narrow curved beach with
one wheel on dry sand and one wheel in a few inches of
water. The beach was only about 20 ft. wide and curved,
with low brush on the right side.
I was very low on gas and had to land. The ship rolled
along the curved beach until it almost came to a stop, at
that time the left wheel that had been in the water on my
landing run suddenly hit a soft spot, causing the ship
to turn toward the deep water. Again I nosed over, with
the entire   in the water, and water in the cockpit.
Whe.n arnved, they pulled the tail down. People came
wadmg m the water almost to their shoulders to carry us
out. When we hauled the ship out of the water, I found
that one propeller blade had a very bad bend and was out
of track 8".
I must cut my story short now, reminiscing still gives
me a headache! Using a freight car jack at the railroad
depot, I managed to bend the prop back to within 1/4"
of true track by using the railroad track and the bottom
of a freight car. I removed the carburetor with a hammer
and screw driver (because of lack of tools), dried it and
the plugs in an oven, drained the engine oil and obtained
a drum of low octane gas. I put- my remaining aviation gas
all in the reserve tank, waited until the tide went down
took off on the reserve tank (aviation gas) and then shifted
to low octane after reaching a safe altitude. The engine
vibrated badly on take-off. This I expected, because of the
prop. I cruised at 1550 rpm because the low octane gas
caused the engine to spit and cough above that speed. We
got to Nova Scotia, gassed up again, readjusted the
fixed pitched prop and flew back to Floyd Bennett Field
at a steady 1550 rpm.
Bozo behaved the same all the way home, but I in-
sisted that his owner keep him in the back and away
from my shoulder as Bozo messed up his owner while
sitting on his shoulder while over Newfoundland. This
was when I found out that he was not house broken.
The saddest part of the trip is when they had published
an article in the paper that we were down at sea. This re-
sulted from a radiogram that was sent from Buchans to
Nova Scotia that we were on our way in. Unfortunately,
when we had to return to Port-Aux-Basques, we were held
up a few days and had no way of knowing that such an
article would be put in the paper. My wife had read this
article and so had my family and they were desperately
I only cleared about $200.00 on this trip. I didn't
expect to be gone over two weeks, but I was gone 25 days.
The money came in handy (during depression times) but
no amount of money could heal the worry suffered by my
wife and family.
Neither of my passengers nor I could swim - I'm not
sure about Bozo. And, of course, we had no radio or blind
flying instruments.
My hair has thinned out quite a bit since then but I
can't blame Bozo for that.
Antique  Treasure  Hunting 
By J.  R.  Nielander,  Jr. 
Vice  President 
Antique/Classic Division 
This article is the first of what is hoped will eventually
be a monthly feature column in The  Vintage  Airplane, 
although in the beginning it can only be expected to
appear at infrequent intervals . The success of this column
will depend largely on you, the member, but most par-
ticularly on you, the foreign member. As anyone acquaint-
ed with antique aircraft has realized for a long time, the
supply of unrestored antiques in the United States is
rapidly diminishing. Eager antique treasure hunters have
searched out almost every farmer's barn, abandoned air-
port hangar and airport junk yard, not to mention
mountain tops and lake bottoms, in their efforts to acquire
all of the bits and pieces necessary to restore their rare
birds. There is practically nothing left at home to be dis-
covered, so if antique aircraft restoration is going to
expand and flourish we must look to foreign lands for
the "bones" with which to begin our restorations. This
is where you, the foreign member, become invaluable.
That pair of wings and a fuselage hanging from the rafters
of your local hangar or that ancient wrecked monoplane
half buried in the junk pile behind that hangar have been
there so long and have become such a common sight to
you that you don't even notice them anymore. However,
these parts may be the beginning of a beautiful restora-
tion if they can be placed in the proper hands . We need
you, our foreign members, to tell us what you have avail-
able in your areas. Ideally, we should like to have the
name and model designation as well as a statement of
the general condition of the aircraft and engine and a
casual estimate of parts missing or the extent of damage
and deterioration. Of course we also need the location
of the aircraft and the name and address of the owner
if the latter informa.tion is known. A black and
photograph three inches by five inches or larger would
also be of great value. Please address all correspondence
either directly to this writer or to EAA Antique-Classic
Division at headquarters. The important fact to remember
is that no location is too remote, no transportation pro-
blem is too difficult or too expensive, no part is too in-
significant and no "bag of bones" is in too bad a condition
to be of value to some ingenious restorer.
Lest this plea to our foreign members lead you, our
state side members, to believe that there is no part for
you in this program of discovery, nothing could be farther
from the fact. Many of you members, regularly in the
course of business or occasionally on vacation, travel to
foreign lands. Being avid aviation enthusiasts you un-
doubtedly visit the local airports during your travels. If,
on these occasions, you will look a little higher in the
hangar rafters, a little deeper in the back corners, and a
little farther out back to the airplane junk piles you will
be amazed at the number of antique aircraft and com-
ponents which you will discover. If you will then attempt
to acquire as much information on these aircraft as
possible and forward it to us, you, too, will be performing
an extremely valuable service for your fellow antiquer.
For those of you, our stateside members who do not
travel extensively outside the United States, (and you are
__________________ _____ ___ _______...i
in the great majority) there are still a few antiques left
to be discovered here at home. This column is very much
interested in receiving information on any rare antiques
which you may discover locally and getting this infor-
mation to dedicated members who will restore them with
much tender loving care. However, it is at this point
that we must state the only restriction. It is not the intent
of this column to compete with the classified advertise-
ments of this publication or those of any other publica-
tion. Unrestored relatively plentiful antiques and their
components (Piper, Aeronca, Taylorcraft, etc.) as well as
already restored antiques and components which are being
offered for sale more correctly belong in the classified
sales columns and such information will not be published
in this column .
One of the earliest truly light aircraft to be built in
the United States was the Aeromarine-Klemm, a tandem,
open cockpit fully cantilevered low wing monoplane
constructed entirely of wood. The model AKL-25A was in-
troduced in 1929 and was awarded ATC No. 121. This
first model was powered by a nine cylinder French Salm-
son AD-9 radial engine of 40 hp. The Klemm evolved
through several model and engine changes including
the AKL-26 and 26A which were powered by a five cylinder
LeBlond 60 radial engine of 65 hp and later the LeBlond
5-DE of 70 hp and the AKL-26B which was powered by
the LeBlond 5-DF of 85 hp.
The Aeromarine-Klemm was an American version of
the Klemm-Daimler which had originally been introduced
in Germany in 1921 and which itself was an outgrowth
of an earlier motored-glider design. It had a wingspan of
a little over forty feet and initially an empty weight of a
little over eight hundred pounds which progressed up-
ward to a little over i'. thousand pounds in the later
There is an early Klemm presently residing on a junk
pile along side the Cessna dealer's hangar at San Justo
Airport located a few miles northwest of Buenos Aires,
Argentina. The airframe has a tarpaulin thrown over it.
The aircraft is complete except for instruments, engine
and cowling, and these may pOSSibly be stored some-
place nearby. The airframe is covered with a plywood
skin which is weather-checked, but the basic airframe
structure appears to be good. In the hands of a good
wood restorer this could be a very rare antique restora-
tion. It was not possible to determine whether this was
an Aeromarine-Klemm or whether it was an original
German Klemm-Daimler. Any antiquer interested in
acquiring this Klemm would be wise to make the acquaint-
ance of a Pan American or Braniff pilot who regularly
flies to Buenos Aires and enlist his aid in making arrange-
ments for exporting it.
One of the more popular antiques to be imported into
the United States is the DeHaviland Tiger Moth. The
standard primary trainer for the Royal Air Force as well
as most of the other British Empire Air Forces until well
after World War II, it was designed in England in the early
thirties and was itself a refinement of the earlier
DeHaviland Moth 60 which had been introduced in
England in 1925, and approximately two hundred of
which had been built in the United States under license
from 1929 to 1931.
The Tiger Moth had conventional construction for its
day, namely, steel tube fuselage and tail surfaces and
wood wings. Many are equipped with automatic wing slots
which make this particular model practically stall-proof
and spin-proof.
This venerable trainer was built under license in many
countries outside of Great Britain including Australia,
Canada, and PortugaL The latter produced approximately
fifty Tiger Moths of which three remain although only
one, CS-AFX, appears to be flyable. These three are
located at the Portuguese Air Force Base near Sintra,
Portugal, and are owned by the Aeroclub De Portugal,
Avenida Du Liberdade 226, Lisbon, PortugaL They are
apparently no longer being used and can probably be
purchased. Inquiri es should be directed to the Aeroclub.
Fleet Trainers were an outgrowth of the Consolidated
PT and NY-I, -2, and -3 military trainers and the Consoli-
dated Model 14 civilian trainer which were built between
1925 and 1929. Named for Major Ruben Fleet, the president
of Consolidated Aircraft Corporation since its beginning
in 1923, the Fleets were built by Fleet Aircraft, Inc., a
division of Consolidated Aircraft Corporation. The Fleet
Modell and 2 were introduced in 1929 and were powered
by seven cylinder Warner Scarabs of 110 horsepower and
five cylinder Kinner K5's of 100 horsepower respectively.
The Fleet Model 7 with a five cylinder Kinner 85 of 125
horsepower was introduced in late 1930, followed shortly
by the Model 10 with the same powerplant. The Model 7
was distinguished from its predecessors by its enlarged
and rounder vertical fin while the Model 10 was des-
tinguished by its enlarged but straight-lined vertical fin
and its redesigned rounded rudder. Models 8 and 9 were
introduced in 1931 and featured rounded fuselages and
Klemm K1 25 powered by a 45 hp Salmson.
Picture from The Lightplane by John Under -
wood and George Collinge. Available from fAA
Headquarters - $4.75 plus 30c postage.
redesigned tails and landing gears, but few of these models
were built. The design evolved as far as the Model 16B
which was very similar in appearance to the Model 10.(4)
Numerous Fleets were exported south of the Border.
At San Justo Airport, located a few miles northwest of
Buenos Aires, Argentina, there are three Fleet Trainers.
One is a Fleet 2 which recently had new engine mount
attach fittings welded to the ends of the longerons.
Another is a Fleet 16B which is flyable, but could use a
complete restoration to get it up to antique show stand-
ards. The third is disassembled having had both of its top
longerons broken in the area of the forward attachment
of the stabilizer. Apparently, the stabilizer contacted an
immovable object near its tip causing an extreme twisting
(Photo by Ted Koston)
A Kinner Fleet
(fAA Photo)
Tiger Moth
moment of force to act sideways on the longerons.
As with other aircraft located in Argentina mentioned
previously, any antiquer interested in acquiring one of
these Fleet Trainers would be wise to make the acquaint-
ance of a Pan American or Braniff pilot who regularly
flies to Buenos Aires, and enlist his aid in making arrange-
ments for exporting it.
There is also a Fleet Trainer upper wing and fuselage
in the rafters of an open hangar at Ilopango Airport out-
side the city of San Salvador in EI Salvador, Central
America. These parts belong to the Aeroclub of El Salvador
which is located on the same airport. Other parts of this
aircraft are supposed to be stored somewhere on the field,
but the aircraft is probably not complete.
Harold Salut, 2837 S. W. 86th St., Oklahoma City, Okla.
73159 and his nearly complete 1927 Waco 10. The Waco
has been under restoration for over 10 years and has all
new wings, all new wood throughout, new cowling,
fairings, wheels and tires. The engine has been com-
pletely overhauled. Still has original " N" number,
NC-3807. Should be ready to fly in early 1975.
Around The Antique/Classic World
J. D. Barry (EAA 16697), P. O. Box 1473, Fairbanks,
Alaska 99707 sent along this picture showing the remains
of a big 5 place New Standard that went down in the
Alaskan bush 40 years ago. The engine and wheels were
removed earlier and all that remains today are the gas
tanks, which are in excellent shape except for one
small bullet hole (?). Even the glass in the fuel gage of
one tank is intact. Mr. Barry says the old birds just fall
apart when left exposed up there or are destroyed by
brush fires.
. .
, .
• i I
A search is on for this Seversky SV-1 by the recently
organized NASSAU Aviation Museum and by EDO
Corporation, its builder. Both would like to have it:
NASSAU County (NY) for permanent mounting in their
new museum, now a building at Mitchel Field, which
will feature pioneer aviation on Long Island; EDO for
exhibition or demonstration during celebration of its
50th anniversary next year (1975) . Although Earl D.
Osborn, founder of EDO, vividly recalls problems in-
volved in building and testing the plane in 1933, he has
no idea as to its present whereabouts - " It's probably
gathering dust in somebody's barn." One of the first all-
metal airplanes ever built and forerunner of the P-43
(Lancer) and P-47 (Thunderbolt) , it set several world
speed records in 1933 for amphibians - Seversky added
50 mph to the then record (His) - and matched the best
record of some " land planes" at that time. The L.I. -
built speed plane shown here flying over New York
City in 1934 (Woolworth building in background) - note
innovative, sophisticated design features.
If anyone knows of the plane's whereabouts, please con-
tact either Nassau County Museum (William Kaiser -
5161364-1050) or EDO Corporation in College Point
(Photo by Noel Allard - Courtasy Jim Horne)
Jack Lysdale's Hamilton H-47 restoration underway at
South St. Paul , Minnesota. .
Dr. Ed Garber, 1641 Owen Drive, Fayetteville, NC 28304 and his 1928 Heath Parasol restoration pro-
ject. This Heath was built from a kit in 1928 and has the wire braced fuselage. Apparently, it was never
completed and has never flown. Ed was able to obtain the most of the airplane including fuselage,
wings, tail section, wheels and axle. He has built up the gear, motor mount and wing supporting
structure. Target date is Oshkosh '76.
Chuck Klessig of Tucson and Gales-
burg, NO is the only two Standard
J-1 owner we know about. His OXX-6
J-1 has been seen a number of times
at Oshkosh and now he has just com-
pleted a Hisso J-1. One is for sale -
if interested, contact Chuck at Sell
Star, Rt. Box 31 , Tucson, AZ 85713.
(Photo courtesy E. Nohl)
This is Europe's only Bellanca 14-13-2. Owned by E. Nohl of Ruschlikon, Switzerland, it is a 1949
model with the 150 hp Franklin.
(Photo by Dick Stouffer)
Dick Stouffer braved the cold and snow to get this photograph of Carl Swanson' s newly completed,
full scale S.P.A.D. XIII. It is a very accurate replica with the exception of a Lycoming installation
- because it was meant to be flown . Carl is a well known builder of World War I replicas with a
number of real jewels to his credit.
(Photo by Noel Allard - Courtesy of Jim Horne)
Left: Neils Sorensen's Hisso Standard gets the
bungee cord starting treatment - this is the way
it was way back when.
(Photo by Noel Allard - Courtesy of Jim Horne)
Right : Marv Sievert's Waco RNF getting a bit
of fuel at a late summer fly-in at Willmar, Minne-
Around  The  Antique/Classic  World 
Dear  Buck: 
Congratulations!!!  So  somebody  finally  had 
the  guts  to  do  it.  I  refer  to  your  account  of 
taking  the  three  antiques  into  O'Hare,  and  on 
a  Sunday  too.  The  account  in  The  Vintage  Air-
plane  was  most  amusing  and  something  that 
I have dreamed  of doing  myself. 
I tried  to  get permission  to  take  the  old  FC-2 
Fairchild  into  O' Hairy  when  American  inau-
gurated  the  first  727  flight.  The  idea  being  a 
publicity  deal  to  show  the  latest  versus  the 
oldest  passenger  airliners.  It  did  not  work  out 
however  due to  all  the  red  tape  involved.  And 
all  this,  mind  you,  before  the  TCA  went  into 
effect.  I  guess  American  didn't  have  as  much 
clout  in  Chicago as  United  seems  to  have. 
The  old  FC-2  is  now  in  a  good  home  at  the 
EAA  Museum  as  you  know  so  maybe  it  is  bet-
ter  as  more  people  will  get  to  see  it  than  if  I 
had  been  able  to get into O'Hare. 
I  retired  from  American  last  September  af-
ter  35V2 year  (33  as  Captain)  and  am  now  en-
joying  my  leisure.  My  wife  Dot  said  "That  re-
tirement  line  is  for  the  birds,  you're  just  un-
employed".  Be  that  as  it  may,  I now  have  time 
to  work  on  restoring  the  Curtiss-Wright  B14B 
Speedwing and  hope to have it flying and  bring 
it to Oshkosh  this year. 
Again,  congratulations  on  your  "deed".  Too 
bad  you  couldn't  have  fouled  them  up.  It 
would  have  been  interesting  to  watch. 
Herb  Harkcom 
Buzzards  Roost,  Rt.  1 
Inola, Okla. 74036 
Dear  Buck: 
I  am  a  Field  Service  Engineer  for  an  Ameri-
can  company  stationed  in  Israel.  Close  to 
where  we  live  is  a  small  airport  that  has  a 
duster/sprayer operator by  the name of Moram 
Aircraft.  They  have  a  large  assortment  of  old 
Stearman  parts,  frames,  engines,  exhausts, 
etc.  which  would  be  described  as  being  in  a 
salvage  condition.  There  is  one  Stearman, 
not owned  by them  but don't know by whom at 
the  moment,  that  is  unflyable  but  hasn't  de-
generated  yet  to  being  salvage.  The  thought 
occurred  to  me  that you  or some of your mem-
bers  might  be  interested  so  looked  up  your 
address  in  Sport  Aviation  magazine.  I'm  not 
very  knowledgeable  on  Stearman  parts  or 
engines  but  there  is  a  pile  of  same  at  least  4 
feet  high  by  ten  feet  in  diameter  in  a  hangar 
that  belongs to  Moram. 
I  would  be  happy  to  assist  anyone  who  is 
interested  but  suggest  they  contact  me  by  air 
mail  as  surface  seems  to  take  forever  over-
I  am  an  American  citizen,  life  member  of 
EPrA,  Private  Pilot and  licensed  A&P  mechanic. 
Duane  C.  Seymour 
Box 16012 
Tel  Aviv, Israel 
Dear  Sirs: 
The  photos  and  article  on  the  Northrop 
Beta  a  few  months  ago  just  had  to  bring  joy 
to  the  hearts  of  all  lovers  of  aircraft  of  the 
thirties!  The  specs  on  these  two  birds  also 
make  you  wonder  just  how  much  progress 
we  have  really  made  in  forty  years  of  aircraft 
As  for  the  disposition  of  NX-12214,  the  air-
plane  was  totalled  on  29  June  1934  - sorry I 
Apparently  a  George  W.  Hard,  c/o  N.R .K. 
Taylor and  Company,  120  Broadway,  New York 
City,  purchased  the  remains,  but  the  bill  of 
sale  documentation  was  never  provided  to 
the  CAA,  so  the  aircraft  was  de-registered  6 
May  1936.  As an  aside, that N-number was sub-
sequently  assigned  to  a  Cessna  172  which 
was  exported  to  Germany. 
Bureaucracy  is  a  miserable  thing  when  you 
are  its  victim,  but  can  really  provide  a  service 
at  other  times.  The  above  information  was 
developed  via  two  phone  calls  and  one  letter 
to  the  Aircraft  Records  Branch  of  the  FAA  in 
Oak  City.  The  file  on  NX-963Y  has  not  been 
located  and  may  be  lost,  but  they're  still 
Incidentally,  the  folder  on  12214  consists  of 
83  pages  of data  and  a  complete  copy  can  be 
ordered  for  $23.75  from  the  Records  Branch. 
Now,  what  became  of all  the Gammas??? 
E. T. Stanfill 
5927  Ridgeview  Dr. 
Alexandria,  Va.  22310 
Dear  Buck: 
Looks  like  you  really  made  a  find  with  the 
Swallow.  The  pics  and  article  show  it  to  be  in 
great  condition,  so  it  should  be  fairly  easy 
to  restore. 
I'm  writing  because  there  seems  to  be  a 
small  parallel  in  your  and  my  antiquing.  We 
both  went  for  C-3s  and  I  just acquired  a  1928 
KR-31  to  restore.  I'm  afraid  my  KR  is  in  no 
where  near  the  nice  condition  your  Swallow 
is,  but  it is  restorable. 
I've been  after this KR  for about 12 years and 
must say  it was  in  better  shape  then  than  now. 
I  am  enclosing  a  couple  of  pics  which  only 
show  the  poor  condition  and  a  few  recog-
nizable  parts. 
I  just  finished  my  Culver  Cadet  project,  so 
am  enclosing  a shot  of  it. 
Les  Steen 
1826  Vassar  Dr. 
Lansing,  Mich.  48912 
Dear  Buck: 
I  just  received  my  Antique-Classic  member-
ship  card  and  October  1974  issue  of  The  Vin-
tage  Airplane  and  kinda  laughed  at  your  arti-
cle  on  finding  an  airplane  to  rebuild.  I'll  re-
late  as  to  how  I  came  about  acquiring  a  Piper 
PA-16  Clipper,  Serial  16-285,  N-5674M. 
Some  friends  in  Richmond,  Va.  kept  telling 
me  that  a  friend  of theirs  had  a  plane  all  apart 
in  his  basement.  Finally,  after  several  months, 
I  asked  where  the  plane  was  and  they  took 
me  there.  I  looked,  talked  and  made  the  deal 
all  in  one  evening  - then  the  fun  began.  The 
plane, or should I say the loose pieces and boxes 
of  parts,  were  pulled,  hauled  and  carried  out 
of his basement and  loaded  into a 20  ft.  Winne-
bago  camper  with  an  8  ft . trailer  behind.  Even 
at  that  it  took  3 trips  from  Camp  Springs,  Md. 
to  Richmond  to  finally  get  all  of  it  moved. 
The  pictures show the  before and  after. 
The  in  between  amounted  to  2V2 months full 
time  labor, sometimes as  much  as  16-18  hours 
per day. 
Having  learned  to  fly  in  a  Cessna  150  and 
never  having  flown  a  taildragger,  I  tried  to 
find  someone to  check  me  out  in  the  Clipper, 
with  no  luck.  I  taxied  it  for  about  1V2-2  hours 
lifting  the  tail  and  sitting  it  down.  After  t   ~
plane had  been annualed, I took it up and  made 
5  take-offs  and  landings.  I  have  over  60  hours 
on  it since  rebuilding  and  really enjoy it. 
H.  S.  Clark (EAA  82268,  AlC  1493) 
5901  Aley  Rd. 
Camp  Springs,  Md.  20031 
and after, 
FOR  SALE  - Stinson  Junior  Project.  WAN TED  -
Original  pre-1950  aircraft  and  engine  manuals. 
Contact:  James  B.  Horne,  3850  Coronation  Rd., 
Eagan,  Minn.  55122. 
FOR  SALE  - Three  low-time  175  and  200  Ranger  en-
gines .  Elmer  Farris,  Jr.,  142  Preston  Ave.,  Lexing-
ton,  Kentucky  40502. 
INFORMATION  SOUGHT  - Am  restoring  Lockheed 
lOA,  Mfg.  4-38,  N-241M,  to  authentic  World  War 
II  markings .  Any  help  regarding  history,  use,  pur-
pose,  service  markings,  etc .  of  the  Lockheed  10 
series  will  be  greatly  appreciated.  J.  R.  Almand, 
909  Dalworth  St.,  Grand  Prairie,  Tx.  75050. 
WANTED  - One  GOOD  front  strut  for  a  PRE-WAR  J-3. 
Small  barrel  O.K.  Trade  late  model  strut  with  sib 
for  it.  For  sale  or  trade:  '46  Chief  less  engine,  struts 
and  tails.  Good  wings  and  fuselage  w/cowling  and 
windshield.  Also  125  Warner  open  rocker,  taper 
shaft  engine.  Removed  for  145  in  Monocoupe.  No 
logs.  Has  starter.  Dave  Workman,  400  South  St., 
Zanesville,  Ohio 43701 .  614/452-1636. 
FOR  SALE:  Cub  - 65  HP,  370  STOH,  1972  Cecomte,  new 
annual,  lights,  ELT,  $3,300.  Glenn  Fite,  Box  6026, 
Clearwater,  Florida  33518. 
Calendar Of Events 
MAY 23·26 - WATSONVILLE,  CALIFORNIA  -11th Annual  West  Coast 
Antique  Aircraft  Fly-In  for  antique,  classic  and  amateur-built 
aircraft.  Static  displays,  flying  events,  air  show,  trophies.  Friday 
and  Saturday  night  get-acquainted  parties.  Sunday  Awards  Ban-
.  quet.  .For  furthe.r  information  contact  Watsonville  Chamber  of 
Commerce,  Box  470,  Watsonville,  Calif.  95076,  or  W.  B.  Richards, 
2490  Greer Road,  Palo  Alto,  Calif.  94303. 
MAY 23-26 - KENTUCKY  LAKE,  KENTUCKY  - 1975  National  Swift 
Fly-In.  Contact :  Charlie  Nelson,  International  Swift  Association, 
Inc.,  P.  O.  Box  644,  Athens,  Tenn.  37303. 
.  MAY 31 • JUNE 1 - CAMBRIDGE,  MARYLAND  - Potomac  Antique 
Aero  Squadron  Annual  Fly-In  at  Horn  Point  Airport  on  the  Frank 
DuPont  estate  just  WSW  of  Cambridge,  Maryland.  Beautiful  grass 
runways,  no  registration  fees,  free  camping  - just  a  super  fun  fly-
in. Contact  Sam  Huntington,  Fly-In  Coordinator,  Avery  Road,  Shady 
Side,  Maryland 20867.  Phone 301/261-5190.
JUNE 6-8 - ORANGEBURG, SOUTH CAROLINA - 6th Annual Old South 
Hospitality  Fly-In,  sponsored  by  EAA  Chapters  242  and  249.  An-
tiques and Classics  welcome. 
JUNE 12·15 - TULLAHOMA,  TENNESSEE  - Walter  H.  Beech  Build-
ing  Dedication  and  Invitational  Staggerwing  and  Travel  Air  Fly-
In.  Contact:  The  Staggerwing  Museum  Foundation,  Inc.,  P.  O.  Box 
550,  Tullahoma,  Tenn. 37388. 
JUNE 15 - WEEDSPORT,  NEW  YORK  - 2nd  Antique-Classic  and 
Homebuilt  Fly-In/Pancake  Breakfast.  Trophies.  Whit fords  Air· 
port.  Sponsored  by  EAA  Chapter  486.  Contact:  Dick  Forger,  204 
Woodspath  Rd.,  Liverpoor,  N.  Y.  13088. 
AUGUST 24 - WEEDSPORT,  NEW  YORK  - Air  Show  and  Fly-In 
Breakfast  sponsored  by  EAA  Chapter  486.  Whitfords  Airport. 
Contact  Dick  Forger,  204  Woodspath  Rd. ,  Liverpool,  N.  Y.  13088 . 
JULY 29 · AUGUST 4,1975 - OSHKOSH, WISCONSIN - 23rd Annual EAA 
Fly-In  Convention.  Sport  aviation  world's  greatest  event.  It's  not  too 
early  to  make plans and reservations! 
FLORIDA SPORT AVIATION ACTIVITIES - The  very  active  Florida  Sport 
Aviation  Antique  and  Classic  Association  has  a  fly-in  somewhere  in the 
state  almost  every  month.  The  decision  on  the  location  of  the  next  fly-
in  is  usually  made  on  too  short  notice  for  inclusion  in  The Vintage Air·
plane, so  we  recommend  to  all  planning  a  Florida  vacation  that  they 
contact FSAACA  President Ed  Escallon,  Box  12731,  SI.  Petersburg,  Florida 
33733  for  fly·in  details.  Join  the fun! 
Back  Issues  Of The  Vintage  Airplane 
Limited  numbers  of  back  issues  of  THE  VINTAGE  AIRPLANE  are  available  at  $1.00  each.  Copies  still 
on hand  at EAA  Headquarters  are: 
..... . . .. 'II ... ..........
_---<0 j .
.. -
The Vintage Airplane is the official publication of Antique Classic Aircraft, Inc.,
a division of The Experimental Aircraft Association, Hales Corners, Wisconsin.