You are on page 1of 24


PaulH. Poberezny
GeneR. Chase
GeorgeA. Hardie,Jr.
R. J.Lickteig
1620BayOaks Drive
Albert lea,MN 56007
Secretary Treasurer
RonaldFritz E. E."Buck" Hilbert
15401 Sparta Avenue P.O.Box 145
KentCity, Mi49330 Union, Il60180
616/678-5012 815/923-4591
JohnS.Copeland Stan Gomoll
9Joanne Drive 104290th lane,NE
Westborough,MA01581 Minneapolis,MN 55434
617/366-7245 6121784-1172
ClaudeL. Gray, Jr. DaleA. Gustafson
9635Sylvia Avenue 7724 ShadyHill Drive
Northridge,CA 91324 Indianapolis,IN46274
213/349-1338 317/293-4430
RobertG.Herman ArthurR. Morgan
WI64N9530WaterSireet 3744 North 51stBlvd.
Menomonee Falls,WI 53051 Milwaukee,WI 53216
414/251-9253 414/442-3631
MortonW.Lester AI Kelch
P.O. Box 3747 66 W.622 N.Madison Ave.
Martinsville, VA 24112 Cedarburg,WI53012
703/632-4839 414/377-5886
GeneMorris JohnR. Turgyan
24Chandelle Drive Box229,R.F.D.2
Hampshire,Il60140 Wrightstown,NJ 08562
3121683-3199 6091758-2910
S. J.Wittman GeorgeS. York
Box 2672 181 SlobodaAve.
Oshkosh,WI 54901 Mansfield,OH 44906
414/235-1265 419/529-4378
EspieM. Joyce, Jr. DanielNeuman
Box 468 1521 BerneCircle W.
Madison, NC 27025 Minneapolis,MN 55421
919/427-0216 6121571-0893
RayOlcott RoyRedman
1500KingsWay Rt. 3,Box 208
Nokomis,Fl33555 Faribault,MN 55021
813/485-8139 507/334-5801
S. H. "Wes" Schmid GarWilliams
2359 lefeberRoad Nine South 135Aero Drive
Wauwatosa,WI 53213 Naperville,Il60540
4141771-1545 3121355-9416
APRIL 1984 VOL. 12, No.4
3 Straightand Level
By Bob Lickteig
4 AlC News
5 A Round PinkChamp
by Richard A. Coffey
6 Swallow
byRoy Redman
12 HookField- TheWedekinds
- and Aeronca
byShawnee Lee Culbertson
10 MysteryShip
by Ed Phillips
19 MysteryPlane
by George Hardie, Jr.
20 CalendarofEvents
SeePage 15
FRONTCOVER..A1941 J-3Cubsilhouettedagainstalateautumn
by Paul T. Phillips (EM201795, NC 7989) of Bellevue, Nebraska.
(Photoby Paul T.Phillips)
BACK COVER ...features information on EM's Ultralight '84 and
Oshkosh '84.
are trademarks ofthe above associations and their use by anyperson otherthan the above associationsis strictly
Editorial Policy: Readers are encouraged to submit stories and photographs. Policy opinions expressed in articles
are solely those of the authors. Responsibility for accuracy in reporting rests entirely with the contributor.Material
should be sentto:Gene R. Chase,Editor, The VINTAGE AIRPLANE, Wittman Airfield, Oshkosh, WI 54903-2591.
The VINTAGE AIRPLANE (ISSN 0091-6943) is published and owned exclusively by EMAntiquel Classic Division,
Inc.ofthe Experimental AircraftAssociation, Inc. andis published monthlyatWittman Airfield,Oshkosh,WI 54903-
2591. Second Class Postage paid at Oshkosh, WI 54901 and additional mailing offices. Membership rates for
EMAntiquelClassic Division, Inc. are $18.00 for current EMmembers for 12 month period of which $12.00 is
forthe publicationofThe VINTAGE AIRPLANE. Membership is open toall who are interested in aviation.
ADVERTISING- Antiquel Classic Divisiondoesnotguaranteeorendorseanyproductofferedthroughouradvertis-
ing.Weinviteconstructivecriticism andwelcomeanyreportofinferiormerchandiseobtainedthroughouradvertising
sothat correctivemeasurescan be taken.
Postmaster:SendaddresschangestoEMAntiquel ClassicDivision,Inc.,WittmanAirfield,Oshkosh,WI54903-2591.
By Bob Lickteig
The officers, directors and advisors are sorry to see Mr.
Brad Thomas resign as our president. However we all
share his wishes after a successful five year term, and I
know I speak for every member. We thank Brad for his
leadership, friendship, and many accomplishments. He
will be missed.
As your new president, I must state that I am blessed
with the finest, most dedicated and hard working group
of officers, directors, and advisors and I look forward to
working with them.
In looking back 13 years, the Antique/Classic Division
has made great strides and many major accomplishments.
This history of success could only be done with the help
and cooperation of every member.
Our short history shows the many accomplishments of
your division such as encouraging and helping our mem-
bers to restore and display a number of the most historical
antique and classic aircraft. We have established a li-
brary available to all with the history and details of hun-
dreds of aircraft so vital to our aviation heritage. The di-
vision has diligently worked through education to improve
safety in maintaining and flying our type of aircraft. We
have become recognized as the most interesting and color-
ful part of our annual EAA Oshkosh convention for mem-
bers and guests, - and now with your Antique/Classic
Division accepting a leadership role in establishing the
new EAA Air Academy, I believe every member of the AlC
Division can be proud of the past accomplishments and
can look forward to the new and exciting projects in the
The entire management group of your division is now
hard at work establishing the goals for the division; both
short and long range. Our Oshkosh '84 activities will be
expanded and increased to provide more education, mem-
bership involvement and recognition, plus special invita-
tions and accommodations for the type club members and
A few of our planned programs for Oshkosh '84 are
Type Parking - Participant's Recognition - Grand and
Reserve Champ Reunion - Antique/Classic Fly-out - Ex-
panded Interview Circle - Increased Facilities at the
Antique/Classic Headquarters - Parade of Flight - In-
creased Awards, Additional Forums, and a monthly page
in your magazine, The VINTAGE AIRPLANE with com-
plete details of these programs for the convention.
Our goals for your division will include increased mem-
bership recruiting through various programs and mem-
bership involvement; also, the promotion and organization
of new Antique/Classic chapters so we will be more respon-
sive to our members at the local level.
We will continue our planning for the Antique/Classic
Hall of Fame area in the EAA Aviation Museum. This is
one way we can recognize our previous Grand and Reserve
Champ award winners. This will be a continuing tribute
to the members who restored these beautiful aircraft. We
will look forward to continued support of the EAA Air
Academy as the number of students increase each year -
so will our participation and commitment.
As I write my first message to you, I cannot help but
think of the great opportunity we have not only to con-
tinue our efforts of the past but to look at the challenges
that lie ahead.
Our numbers are growing, our direction is set - we
are the pace setters and the doers. There are hundreds of
antiques and thousands and thousands of beautiful classic
aircraft flying today. These proud, dedicated owners are a
preservation fleet of people who will forever preserve this
great span of aviation history.
We have many ambitious plans and goals but if we do
not take advantage of these opportunities, we should not
expect the recognition as the international spokesman for
our era of the aviation community.
I would like to thank the EAA headquarters staff, the
officers, directors and advisors for their confidence in me
and to assure them and the membership that with your
help we will together accomplish all the goals that we
have set.
It's going to be a great year and a great convention -
make the Antique/Classic area your headquarters for Osh-
kosh '84.
~ w
U Compiled by Gene Chase
EAA Air Academy '84 needs your help to provide
young people the opportunity to live and learn the arts,
science and love of aviation in both classroom and work-
shop settings. You can help in developing a new genera-
tion of "airport kids" to carry aviation into the next cen-
tury. We ask that you consider each of the following and
take steps to support this new, innovative EAA program.
1. Tell young people, who are 15-17 years of age and
interested in aviation, about the EAA AIR ACADEMY.
Pages 20 and 21 of the January 1984 issue of SPORT
AVIATION tell the complete story. A reprint and brochure
or complete registration materials will be provided by re-
2. The Academy needs volunteers to provide "hands-
on" instruction in all aspects of aircraft construction, re-
storation and maintenance. These workshop instructors
will work hand-in-hand with participants in the Restora-
tion Shop of the Aviation Center from mid-July through
3. There is also a need for experienced volunteer build-
ers of sheet metal aircraft to guide the building of the
MONI that has been donated by Monnett Experimental
Aircraft. These builders will prepare and supervise
Academy participants as they assemble the MONI in the
Aviation Centers' Restoration Shop. These volunteer
builders are needed from early July through mid-August.
Those with the necessary aircraft experience and the de-
sire to work with young people are urged to apply.
4. Financial support for operating expenses and schol-
arships are also needed. Such donations, of any amount,
are tax deductible and will help bring youth to enjoy the
benefits of this new and innovative EAA program.
All communications regarding the above or any other
aspect of the EAA AIR ACADEMY should be addressed to:
Chuck Larsen, Education Director
EAA Aviation Foundation
Wittman Airfield
Oshkosh, WI 54903-2591
Phone 414/426-4800
Jim Haizlip, winner of the 1932 Bendix Trophy, died
at his home in Pacific Palisades, California on December
8,1983. He was 87. His wife Mary (known as Mae Haizlip
in her air racing days) was with him at the end and with
longtime friend, General Jimmy Doolittle, scattered Jim's
ashes over the Pacific from a Cessna 172. A pilot in World
War I and II, an air racer in the 20s and 30s, and a test
pilot for Douglas and Northrop, Jim Haizlip (EAA 120762)
had a long and distinguished flying career.
Our condolences to his wife, Mary, and many friends
and associates.
The FAA has approved applications for Supplemental
Type Certificates by the EAA Aviation Foundation for the
use of unleaded automotive gasoline in many more air-
craft. EAA can now provide STC's for the following:
AERONCA(including Bellanca, B&B Aviation, Champ-
INTERSTATE(Artic Aircraft Co.)
LUSCOMBE (Including Larsen)
8C through 8F
J3C-65 (Army L-4)
J4E (Army L-4E)
ion, Trytek and Wagner)
65-TC (L-3J)
65-TAC (Army L-3E)
0-58-A (Army L-3A)
7BCM (Army L-16A)
7CCM (Army L-16B)
150A through 150B
150J through 150M
A150K through A150M
180A through 180H
182A through 182H
182J through 182N
J5A (Army L-4F)
L-4B (Navy NE-l)
L-4J (Navy NE-2)
(Continued on Page 11)
4 APRIL 1984
The day was gray again. The wind was raw and the Champ owner will tell you when you get in, "Hey, watch
grass crunched underfoot. The occasional spray of cold rain the door handle, it's a little floppy".
was laced with white flakes and my hands were cold as I I stood up to find a match in my pocket and to take
felt the leading edge of the airplane's wing. It had seemed another look down the road for a plume of dust. I had no
like a good day to go Champ hunting. match and there was no dust. You gotta get used to stuff
When the alarm clock rang I rolled out, dressed and like that when you go Champ hunting. I opened the door
kissed my wife goodbye. I threw on a heavy sweater and of the plane and crawled into the boxy cockpit. It's funny,
filled the thermos with hot coffee. Going Champ hunting you sit there staring at the panel and the controls and out
is the work of early birds and I was the earliest bird on the windows and back at the panel, and all you can ever
the road that morning. I searched the sky for weather say about it is that there's a lot of room in a Champ. The
information and my mind for common sense; a fellow could seat was comfortable and felt like a large, heavy man had
end up with an airplane on a day like this if he wasn't sat there for a very long time. The cockpit smelled like
careful. The seller told me that at daybreak he was going the man had cleaned out a silo before he came to the
to show me what she could do. Champ to sit a spell. Maybe he even flew it.
From the first day I set foot on an airport, with the I sat there, out of the wind, listening to the sleet pepper
intention of spending money, there has been a Champ the airplane and I felt the slightest rocking as the wind
around, looking over my shoulder and into my wallet. grew stronger. It was the gentlest kind of rocking and I
Every time I visit a sod airport there's a Champ there - poured another cup of coffee and shut the big door - and
somewhere. It might be tied down on the line with rocked. The sleet turned to snow, and while the brief
aluminum airplanes or it might be lying loose in the tall squall passed, I sat in perfect peace in the great seat of
grass behind the hangar - could even be in a couple of the boxy, pink Champ pretending that we were flying high
boxes in the basement, but there's always a Champ there above the earth in clouds. The snow pelted the machine,
somewhere. Mostly for sale. the wind rocked up, and I finished the thermos of coffee
When I pulled into the field there wasn't a soul around relaxed and ready to call it a day. I got out and stretched
except for the windsock and the Champ, which was a red and looked down the road one last time. No seller. I looked
Champ once and then it must have been an orange Champ at the Champ and the pink, fat thing seemed to be smiling.
because it was a pink Champ now. A round, pink Champ. I really had a nice couple of hours with her and it made
A :ute little pig of a thing, tied down tight and squatty me mad that the owner had said that I should come out
an I doing its best to rock in the wind. I looked at my at daybreak to "see what she can do".
W <i ch, and at the gray sky, and wondered when daybreak On the other hand, maybe that's just what had hap-
happened around here. I looked down the road and I saw pened.
the wind carrying the light snow, and saw a crow wearing Editor's Note: Noel Allard (EAA 109779, NC 1673)
himself out trying to get into the cornfield on the west side Chaska, Minnesota submitted this article after getting
of the road. He tacked to the north and he tacked to the permission to re-print from the author, Dick Coffey and
south, and finally he just plunked down on the road and Sherm Booen, publisher of The Minnesota Flyer, where it
walked to the corn. You see a thing like that and you start originally appeared. Mr. Coffey, an aviation author and
thinking about Champs again. I poured a cup of coffee former editor ofAirport Services Management has moved
from the thermos and walked over to the lee side of the to live permanently in a cabin in the Minnesota north
airplane and crouched down out of the wind. The coffee woods, where he writes his monthly "North Winds" col-
was hot and I took out my pipe and filled it. Pink as it umn for The Minnesota Flyer. He has given up most of
was, the Champ's fabric looked good. Not good like Ceco- the comforts of the city life - including his airplane. He
nite, but good like old, pink cotton. The door handle looked is very eager to find another - hopefully a Champ . . .
a little floppy but then that's one of the first things a G.R.C .
By Roy Redman
(EAA 83604, Ale 6600)
R. 3, Box 208
Faribault, MN 55021
___ __ __ Standard after a landing accident near Ashley, NO.
The big Standard, prop motionless, touched down in a
field near Ashley, North Dakota. After a short ground roll
it dropped into a small gully, nosed over, and displayed
its underwing advertising to the disinterested clouds.
The 1926 barnstorming season had been quite success-
ful. So much so, in fact , that Ole and Vern had decided to
trade the Canuck for a Hisso-powered Standard. The
Standard was a bit slower than the Canuck, but its 150
hp Hisso could get in out of small fields with two in its
somewhat larger front cockpit. This trade, however logical
in principle, proved to be a mistake. The Hisso had a habit
of quitting, and no amount of Ole's mechanical skills could
determine the reason. It quit over Ashley, North Dakota
on September 17, and then remained silent forever.
After the Ashley incident Ole hopped about a bit with
friend Herb Hanson in Herb's OXX-6 Standard. In mid-Oc-
tober, seeking some winter fortune, they pointed the OXX-
6 towards Chicago. They tied down at the Chicago Flying
Club field and settled in with warm inside employment.
The big city didn't agree with Herb, however. he returned
to the Dakotas with his Standard after a few weeks. Ole,
now an expert aviator from South Dakota, stayed the
winter and occasionally visited the CFC field where he
hopped a few passengers.
The warmth of the 1927 spring lured Ole out of doors
and back to North Dakota. He joined Ruff in Jamestown
and found work with the power company as a "grunt", a
lineman's helper. Ruff, meanwhile, had just picked up a
new Swallow for Jim Bowen, the owner of the local cab
The Swallow was one of the first of a new breed of
airplanes to arrive in North Dakota . Its OX-5 was cowled
6 APRIL 1984
and it had a clean, modern look that was sure to attract
passengers to its two-place front cockpit. Owner Jim
Bowen looked forward to a profitable year. But after only
a few weeks, Ruff had enough of Bowen's argumentative
mien, and he quit. Once again Ole Anderson was in the
right place at the right time. Bowen approached him to
fly the Swallow. He took the job.
Ole first flew the Swallow on June 3, 1927. He took it
for several hops around Jamestown to get used to it, and
then on Sunday, June 5 he flew it 35 miles east to Valley
City. He hopped 51 passengers there before returning to
Jamestown late in the day, where he hopped 6 more.
Things were off to a good start.
The new Swallow attracted lots of attention and pas-
sengers in Jamestown. Much of its time, however, was
spent on tour with Jamestown as home base. A typical
tour would last about a week, covering small towns in a
loop that reached about 100 miles from Jamestown. Ole
returned from such a tour during that June, finishing
seven days of flying, and logging 87 hops (including town
to town), 131 passengers, and 10 hrs. 45 min. of flying
time on the Swallow.
The passenger hops usually lasted about five minutes,
more or less, with the actual length being in direct re-
lationship to the length of the ticket line on the ground.
And sometimes, if the line was particularly long, Ole
would devise a maneuver that would make the passengers
wish they were back on the ground!
North Dakota summers usually provide a generous
measure of good flying weather, but some rain does fall,
of course. One Sunday the Jamestown skies were leaden
all day as a steady, gentle rain fell. The Swallow spent
tiedown ropes. The next
Saturday Ole
office for his week's pay: 50 bucks. "I
the day on its
stopped by the cab
pay you," Jim Bowen told him. "We didn't make any
profit this week because of the rain last Sunday." Ole nod-
ded and left.
The next morning dawned bright and clear. It promised
to be the kind of beautiful summer Sunday memories are
made of. Eager passengers began to accumulate at the
field snapping up Bowen's tickets. Ten o'clock passed, then
11 and noon, but Ole was nowhere in sight. An anxious
Bowen drove to town and stopped at Ole's rooming house,
but found no one. A drive past the restaurant and down
main street proved fruitless. He returned to the field and
began handing out refunds to the disgruntled passengers.
Still, he sold tickets to new arrivals exclaiming "The pilot
will be here any minute." But the sun set, and the Swallow
had not turned a wheel. Axel "Ruff" Swanson and his boss, Jim Bowen.
Ruff and the new Swallow which was owned by the owner of the cab company in Jamestown.
Ole and the Swallow. Note paid advertising on fuselage.
Ole sauntered down the sidewalk on Monday morning,
hands in pockets. He had just left the restaurant where
he had enjoyed his usual two-egg breakfast. As he turned
a corner, he came face to face with Bowen. With fire in
his eye Bowen bellowed, "Where the hell were you yester-
day?" "I can't work for you on your terms," Ole answered.
There was a moment of exasperated silence, then Bowen
said, "I'll pay you back wages, " a bit more quietly. The
message had been delivered.
With the labor-management issue settled the Swallow
was airborne once more. The silver wings passed over new
towns, and some of the old standbys as well. County fairs
and celebrations, where the money flowed freely and the
folks were adventurous, were favorite targets.
Ole and the Swallow arrived in Sanish, North Dakota
on the Missouri River, on August 6. It was a celebration
day. There were lots of people, as expected, and business
was good. The line of waiting passengers grew with each
flight. The crowd's spirits were soaring, and Ole's must
have been too. On about the 20th hop Ole turned towards
the bridge over the Missouri and dove the Swallow low
over the river. His passengers yelled with delight as they
passed under the bridge. When Ole landed, the crowd
cheered their approval of his daring.
The bridge stunt was so popular that he did it two more
times. Then on the next hop, as he passed under the bridge,
there was a loud bang, and the airplane began to shake.
Ole closed the throttle and the Swallow settled into the
river. The crowd pressed to the shore, and a boat was
rowed out to tow in the floating airplane. Ole and his
passengers, two young ladies, sat on the cockpit coaming
during the rescue, shaken but completely dry.
The cause of the mishap was a telephone cable, unseen
on the first three passes, and struck nose-on on the fourth.
The cable had splintered the prop and bent the cowl, but
the Swallow was otherwise undamaged, though quite wet
and muddy. It was towed back to the field where Ole re-
moved the OX-5 and took it to the local Ford dealer, who
had volunteered shop space and tools. He dismantled it
there, dried it out, and the next day continued on his
barnstorming tour.
There are many lessons along the paths of aviation for
those who will heed. The Sanish accident was an expensive
one, fortunately bought cheap. But it was only a short
pause in what had been, and continued to be, a prosperous
season. From June 3rd in Jamestown to August 6th in
Sanish, Ole flew 633 hops, carried 961 passengers and
logged 63 hrs. 45 min. on the Swallow. Impressive figures
by any measure but, as Ole was to say years later, "It was
only the beginning."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ - - ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ . ~
Ole in Swallow over Jamestown, NO.
8 APRIL 1984
The soggy Swallow after it was retrieved from the Missouri River near Sanish, NO.
The Swallow served well until the spring of 1928. At
that time Ed Canfield, from nearby Fullerton, stopped by
The office was rather unpretentious. A pleasant but
businesslike girl greeted Ole from behind a desk. He pre-
sented Jim Bowen's check for $2900, and she completed
the paperwork. Ole then signed for Bowen, the purchaser,
and the young lady signed for the Travel Air Company.
Her name was Miller - Olive Ann Miller, later to become
Mrs. Walter Beech.
John Carlson's Velie Monocupe.
Jamestown with his new Travel Air 2000. Ole and his
friends were wide-eyed. As good as the Swallow had looked
the previous year, the Travel Air was a "decided improve-
ment. " It had a solid, streamlined look, and the quality of
workmanship was excellent. The fuselage ,was a rich blue,
the wings silver, and it had a "very nice paint job." Jim
Bowen was so impressed that he went back to his office
and ordered one.
Ole went to Wichita to pick up the new Travel Air at
the factory. The trip from Jamestown was a day-and-
night-long ride by Greyhound ... tedious, but inexpensive.
Ole knew most of the drivers on the Jamestown run and
rode the entire way for free.
He was on the factory flight line in the morning. A half
dozen or so identical blue and silver biplanes were lined
up; Ole was directed to No. 6006. There was no introduc-
tion. No proferred help. The Travel Air people simply
showed him the plane, filled the tanks (at Ole's expense)
and he was off for North Dakota. He was in Jamestown
by suppertime.
The Travel Air was an immediate sensation with the
small aviation community in Jamestown. Ruff flew it, and
so did a friend, John Carlson. There was more to this
airplane than its good looks. It flew like a dream.
Ruff had been flying for John Carlson since his break
with Jim Bowen the year before. John was a big likable
farm boy from South Dakota who had met Ruff and Ole
while flying at Ferney. He shared their Swedish heritage,
and the three were fast friends. John's Standard had pro-
vided Ruff with a barnstorming mount the previous year
and now, in the Spring of '28, he had just taken delivery
of a new Monocoupe. But the intoxicating new biplane
drew yet another into its spell. John decided to replace the
Monocoupe, and ordered a Travel Air.
Ole promptly made a modification to the Travel Air
that was to make his life in the air more comfortable.
Three years of OX-5 exhaust was enough. He had exten-
sions welded on to route the exhaust down below the lower
I (
John, Ole and Ruff and the two Travel Air 2000s.
John Carlson, Ole Anderson and Ruff Swanson at Jamestown, Jim Bowen and passengers. The Travel Air sports advertising
NO. as did the Swallow.
Ole and the new blue and silver Travel Air 2000 as it came from the factory in 1928.6006 is the registration number assigned by the CAA.
10 APRIL 1984
Ole and the Travel Air. Note downward extension to exhaust
pipe. The black book in Ole's shirt pocket is his pilot log. The
lettering on the engine cowl promotes a soft drink called "Big
wings. The extensions proved to be very effective, and
served another purpose as well; the ride was quieter for
both pilot and passengers.
Not one to let an extra buck slip by, Jim Bowen sold
advertising to local merchants to be displayed on the side
of his new airplane. Most were repeat subscribers from the
previous year's advertising on the fuselage of the Swallow,
but he also added an important new one. He extracted a
premium fee from the local soft drink bottler to advertise
his product on both sides of the OX-5 cowl. The sign
painter paid a visit to the flying field, and when he left
most of the visible side area of the Travel Air was covered
with advertising. And emblazoned on the cowl, in bold
sweeping letters, was the name of the soft drink - BIG
John's Travel Air, number 6276, was soon ready, and
Ole was dispatched for the ferry flight from the factory.
This time on the way home he stopped for a visit in Woon-
socket, South Dakota. His visit was somewhat longer than
planned, and it was late afternoon when he was again
airborne northward. He flew for about a half an hour, and
then noticed a cloud deck forming ~ n e t h him. It was
getting dark below, but there was still light up where he
was which lured him on a bit longer. As the sun reached
the horizon it became obvious that he had stayed up there
too long. It was darker below than he had realized.
A bright spot from city lights appeared on the cloud
deck below. Ole circled the brightness, then started a slow
let-down a short distance from its perimeter. The cloud
layer was not very thick, which was fortunate, but the
darkness below was startling. It was virtually impossible
to see which fields were suitable for a landing. As he cir-
cled the town hoping for a glimpse of a field he saw the
silhouette of a straw stack against the lighted background
of the town. He sighted in on the stack, and lined up for
a landing close beside it, surmising that it was positioned
in the middle of a stubble field. He was correct, and the
new Travel Air rolled to an unimpeded stop after a smooth
landing. He guessed from his time in the air that he was
in Redfield, South Dakota but after all the circling he had
no idea which side of town he was on. He hailed a ride
from a passing car, and his first words to the dumb-
founded driver were "What side of town am Ion?". He
wanted to know which direction to go in the morning to
find his airplane!
The three Swedes often barnstormed together in the
two Travel Airs during the Summer of 1928. It was an
even more successful season than the previous year. They
had learned their craft well, and they flew the best planes
available. The season ended with not so much as a scratch
on either airplane, nor any harrowing tales to remember.
But the open-cockpit barnstorming era was drawing to
a close even as it came into its own. 1928 was the last year
Ole barnstormed with helmet and goggles, and his face in
the wind. There were some sophisticated cabin airplanes
available now, and these attracted a more sophisticated
owner. The following year Ole was to fly for such an owner
in the comfort of an enclosed cabin, and wear a dress shirt
and tie. But now it was time for a pause. When the flying
activity spun down for the year, he stayed in Jamestown.
He spent the winter of 1928-1929 there enjoying the slow
pace of the season. He had earned a rest.
Author's postscripts: The quotes in the paragraph of
Ole's first view of a Travel Air are his. And lest any Swal-
low fans take umbrage, Ole still ends his description of
the Travel Air with" - but still, nobody could run down
the Swallow". The statistics regarding number of hops,
passengers, flight time, etc. are taken directly from the
breastpocket logs Ole kept as he barnstormed.
Ale NEWS ...
(Continued from Page 4)
Antique/Classic Division Chapter 11 does more than
just hold meetings in the dead of winter. Program Chair-
man Bob Lumley reports that the group's February activ-
ity was a scheduled fly-out from Capital Airport at Brook-
field, Wisconsin to Oshkosh for lunch and a tour through
the new EAA Museum.
In spite of below IFR weather on February 12, a group
of 28 met at the airport and headed north in a caravan of
autos. After a great Sunday brunch in the Wittman Field
Terminal Building they proceeded to the Museum for an
afternoon of photography and hangar flying.
Bob has organized a telephone network among chapter
members to get last minute news concerning chapter ac-
tivities to all members. The system is working beautifully.
Plans are underway to celebrate this historic occasion
on April 28-29, 1984 with the "First West Coast Bucker
Fly-In" at the Santa Paula, California Airport. For infor-
mation contact Joe Krybus, 350 Princeton Street, Santa
Paula, California 93060. Phone 805/515-4602 or 805/525-
8764. (Continued on Page 20)
By Shawnee Lee Culbertson
(JR Wedekind Collection)
1942 - George "Pappy" Wedekind and the Waco VKS-7, NC17700, SIN 4620 in which he gave instrument instruction to over 90
students including many who became pilots for the military and American Airlines. This Waco is currently owned by John R. Bussard
(EAA 76773, AlC 3170) of Ringoes, NJ.
Sixty years is a pretty long time, a whole lot of people,
and many more changes. That's the story of Hook Field.
Change, that is. And time and people.
My first official acquaintance with Hook Field at
Middletown, Ohio was 10 years ago, in the summer of
1974 when Hook Field became 50 years old.
A lot of things happened in that heated summer, but
for the sake of this story, I'll deal with Hook Field, its
50th, and how it all came to be.
You can't really talk about Hook Field without talking
about the Wedekinds, and Aeronca, Inc. Everyone knows
it. So right here and now, I give fair warning: The follow-
ing is a story of three key forces, the airport, Wedekinds,
and Aeronca.
12 APRIL 1984
This year, 1984, marks the 60th anniversary of Hook
Field. And in true Wedekind fashion, the occasion will be
marked by a wingding of an event, June 10, at Hook Field.
Where else? Tentative plans call for hot air balloons,
World War II aircraft, and airplane rides. Other plans are
in the making.
But back to the point. Which is, after all, telling how
it all came about. The legacy began in 1924, with the late
George "Pappy" Wedekind. Pappy was a tall and distin-
guished bulldog of a man. He had just finished up a tour
with the U.S. Army's 34th Aero Squadron where he passed
the days of World War I as an aircraft inspector.
After the war, Pappy bought two Curtiss Jennies. In
those days, he was flying off the old Sam Farnsworth farm,
(JR Wedekind Collection)
One of Pappy Wedekind's first airplanes, photographed in 1924
at Middletown, OH. The lower wings of this Curtiss Jenny have
been replaced with a set of uppers, giving the plane four ailer-
ons and additional wing area. The added area made it possible
to carry two passengers instead of one - an important feature
for barnstormers. Note the three-bay configuration and lack of
king posts.
on the west edge oftown, taking the braver folk for Sunday
rides. He charged passengers a dollar a minute. When
times got tougher the price went down to $5 for a 15-min-
ute ride, and later to $3 per ride. He was as tenacious as
hell about aviation.
"Wedekind scraped and maneuvered to develop public
opinion with flying instruction courses and annual air-
man's outings," wrote the late Alice Lloyd Lawler of Pappy
in a 1940 article in the Middletown Journal, describing
the insistent. way Pappy pursued such t)1ings.
In 1925, the story goes, a group of Middletown civic
leaders, bird-dogged too long by a tenacious Pappy and
now filled with grandiose ideas for aviation, organized
Middletown Airport Park, Inc. Those men - David E.
Harlan, president of Crystal Tissue; J. A. Aull, president
ofSorg Paper; William O. Barnitz, president ofthe Barnitz
Bank; Charles R. Hook, vice president of Armco Steel Cor-
poration (now Armco, Inc.); and George M. Verity, presi-
dent of Armco, developed the airfield by borrowing money
to buy the 185-acre Farnsworth farm. At that time, the
sprawling farm, bordered on two sides by the Great Miami
River, was little more than a cow pasture. In fact,
Farnsworth had operated a ferret farm on the site for
years. Pappy, who had been living in Hamilton, moved to
the Farnsworth farmhouse to begin full -time flying ac-
tivities. From that time on, things changed fast .
The Wolverton and Smith farms, adjoining the
Farnsworth property, were also acquired by the develop-
ment group. And by 1926, the Palmco Oil Company of
Middletown was keeping a three-place biplane at the field.
By 1928, the Mason-Dixon Airways of Cincinnati, operat-
ing a flight from Cincinnati to Toledo and Detroit, would
pick passengers up in Middletown if a diamond-shaped
wood structure - painted yellow on one side and green
on the other, was placed yellow-side-up on the field. With
no radio, the yellow side, visible from the air, was the only
means of alerting the pilot to stop for passengers.
Palmco Oil was the first company to keep its plane on
the field, recalled George "JR" Wedekind, Jr., Pappy's only
child. Today, says Wedekind, Armco is the only corpora-
tion to have an aviation facility on the field. With two
instrument landing systems, as well as a visual glide path
system (PLAS!), Hook Field is ''just sitting there waiting
for local corporations to operate facilities out of here," adds
The story continues. Two years after Mason-Dixon
began its service to Middletown, in 1930, the Wedekind-
Schmidlapp Flying Service was organized to operate the
airport property. The group purchased, in 1932, the Queen
City Flying Service, then located at Lunken Airport in
Cincinnati. Pappy continued to operate the Lunken and
Middletown businesses. (Queen City was sold in 1961, but
Pappy continued to handle its operations until 1962.) His
son, JR, took over the Middletown portion of the Queen
City operation. JR continues this job today.
Land improvements, primarily to solve drainage prob-
lems, were accomplished in 1935 with funds provided by
the federal Works Project Administration. Five years later
the city of Middletown purchased the airpark.
Meanwhile, a company known as Aeronautical Corpo-
ration (Aeronca), based at Lunken Airport in Cincinnati
near the Ohio River, was periodically suffering losses from
damages incurred when the river overflowed its banks.
Severe losses from the 1937 flood compelled company rep-
(JR Wedekind Collection) (JR Wedekind Collection)
Circa 1922 - photo of Clarence Chamberlin (top coat with hel- L-R: Alvin Wilson, Ivan Dennis, Edward Kistner, Ada Wedekind
met) which he autographed over 50 years later. George "Pappy" (JR's mother), Marion Wetzel, Charles Root, and Bob Moran in
Wedekind is shown wearing helmet and goggles. Aircraft is a 1936 at the Wedekind's hangar. The 1935 Aeronca C-3 is
Sperry Messenger with 64 hp Lawrance L-2 at the Middletown NC14643, SIN A529 and is currently reported to be in the Seattle,
Airport. WA area.
resentatives to look elsewhere for a company site. This
would eventually lead to a permanent tie between Hook
Field and Aeronca. But more about that next month.
It was in 1940 that Pappy started a civilian pilot train-
ing program in cooperation with Miami University in Ox-
ford, Ohio. This became the War Training Service for the
U.S. Navy. During the war years, the Air Transport Com-
mand of the U.S. Army Corps used the field as a night
training facility.
In 1948 a master plan was made for controlled develop-
ment of the airport. The federal government funded 50
percent of the cost and increased land area with the con-
struction of three marked sod runways.
Middletown Municipal Airport officially became Hook
Field on May 18, 1949, in honor of Armco board chairman
Charles Hook. The name change was announced on the
eve of a recognition dinner where tribute was paid to Hook
for his 50th year in the steel business and for his work in
Middletown and the nation.
Field lights on the northeast-southwest runway and a
rotating beacon were installed in 1950 and 1951.
Area industries funded a non-directional radio beacon
in 1957. This provided an instrument approach facility to
be used in bad weather.
Engineering plans for construction of a hangar for
Armco were made in 1959 and in 1960, construction
began. It was completed in the fall of 1961 at a cost of over
A 5,100-foot paved northeast-southwest strip was com-
pleted in 1961 when the Middletown Area Chamber of
Commerce helped in arranging financing. Armco donated
$70,000 and loaned over $100,000, interest free. The run-
way was extended to 6,100 feet in 1971.
Sometime around 1962, an airport committee was
formed to act as a quasi-airport board. A paved taxiway
was added that year too. Also about that time, in 1962,
JR formed Wedekind Aircraft, Inc. and purchased the
Middletown operations of Queen City Flying Service.
For the second time in history, the Middletown opera-
tions of Queen City was owned by a Wedekind. In 1966
JR built a hangar.
Today, in addition to the hard-surface runway, Hook
Field continues to support a top-quality 3,100-foot sod
(Roger L. Miller Collection)
The Waco 7 after it had been sold and was in need of much
repair. JR is the boy on the right while his dog "Pal" is on the
left. The men are Delbert Averdick and Oran Farnsworth, who
along with Delbert's brother George owned the airplane. The
picture was taken at the Middletown Airport which is partly
made up of Oran's family's farm.
14 APRIL 1984
Pappy died in April of 1982, but JR continues where
his father left off, managing Hook Field and actively par-
ticipating in numerous aviation organizations, including
a full-time position as executive director of the Dayton
International Airshow and Trade Exposition, held annu-
ally in Dayton, Ohio.
(Roger L. Miller Collection)
George Wedekind, Jr., better known as JR, in his Dad's, George
"Pappy" Wedekind's Hisso powered Model 7 Waco. JR is the
manager of Hook Field Airport, Middletown, Ohio, President of
Wedekind Aircraft, Inc., and Executive Director of the Dayton
International Air Show.
The Hook Field story, says Wedekind, leaning back in
his chair, is not about anyone individual, but the airport
as a whole. "How it's grown. And the fact that the people
using it, through federal and local gasoline taxes, have
paid for the maintenance and continuance of the airport.
"This airport has never been a drain on the public,"
finishes Wedekind.
It's been a long time since I covered that 50th anniver-
sary. I asked for that story and I remember it yet: So many
faces, so many memories. Old and yellowed newspaper
clippings, brittle with age, tucked away in so many forgot-
ten corners. Four men that I interviewed have since passed
away: Sol Schneider, remembered as the first man to crash
an airplane at the local field; Homer Mitchell, an old-timer
who glowed when recalling his barnstormer days; Jim
'Murph' Murphy, an Aeronca engineer who died before his
time; and Pappy, the silver-haired man that started it
Shawnee Lee Culbertson is an award-winning aviation
journalist who is currently employed as Director, Public
Affairs/Communications, Dayton International Airshow
and Trade Expositon. She and husband Mark live in Mor-
row, Ohio. They are licensed pilots and own a Cessna
Coinciding with the 60th anniversary celebration of
Hook Field, the Aeronca Clubs will again host an Aeronca
Fly-In at Hook Field, Middletown, Ohio, June 8-10, 1984.
Details will be announced in next month's THE VINTAGE
AIRPLANE, along with an article about the Aeronca com-
pany located at Hook ... G.R.C.
(Part 2 of 2 Parts)
(EAA 124038,NC7505)
1125So. 160E.
Wichita, KS67230
Burnham and Rawdon were pleased with the com-
pleted ship, and propeller calculations were made and the
unit ordered. Only two weeks remained before the Cleve-
land races, and the "R" was being painted while awaiting
its propeller.
William Hauselman performed the spray paint honors,
giving the R-100 a red overall color, with the wings, hori-
zontal stabilizer and vertical stabilizer leading edges scal-
loped in black, along with the forward fuselage. The fuse-
lage scallop was carried aft in the form of black accent
stripes outlined in mint green border, the stripes ending
at the empennage.
Wheel fairings also got the redlblack color scheme,
with the gear "N" struts, forward cabane strut and NACA
cowl receiving only black. Department of Commerce
number R614K appeared in black on the upper right wing
and lower left wing.
When the propeller arrived and was mounted, the "R"
was ready for her maiden flight. Carl Burnham didn't
have the cowl completed, so initial test flights would be
flown without the unit. Although this disappointed Raw-
don, he knew the level flight airspeed would approach 185
mph, and the addition of the cowl was expected to add 20
mph more to top speed.
August 18, 1929 I would witness the beginning of a
legend. As Clarence Clark went to work at Travel Air that
morning he knew the day was going to be exciting. Clark
had been with the company since fall of 1925, and had
already test flown over 700 Travel Air ships. But the "R"
would be different. It was built for speed, not modified for
The experimental crew had worked all through Friday
night to ready the racer for flight. Final adjustments and
finishing touches were completed and Rawdon's "mystery
ship" stood silently on the Travel Air flight line.
It was all up to Clarence Clark now. His skill would
soon guide the sleek scarlet speedster into the Kansas
skies and nearly a year of hard work would be vindicated.
As ~ o hour approached, the field was populated with
observers, the press (who were finally able to see the ship),
Walter Beech, Herb Rawdon and Walter Burnham.
Clark adjusted his parachute and climbed into the tiny
open cockpit. He was already familiar with the location of
instruments and controls. It was time to go. He signalled
the mechanic to start the Wright.
425 hp thundered into life. Nine short, stubby exhaust
stacks bellowed their song in staccato harmony. The whole
ship shuddered. Bracing wires quivered. Even the Kansas
sod echoed the power of the "R". Clarence taxiied across
the field into take-off position. He checked controls, mag-
netos and was ready to unleash the R-100 at last.
Visibility over the nose was poor, but that was to be
expected. Rawdon and Burnham had told Clark that the
tail would come up quickly and forward vision on take-off
would be excellent.
Slowly Clark 2 fed throttle to the Wright radial. He
eased power up to the stop and was pressed hard against
the seat back. Acceleration was fantastic! The little ship
gathered speed so fast Clarence eased the stick forward
and the tail popped up just as the engineers said it would.
The "R" was ready to fly and Clark eased back a trifle
more on the stick. She was airborne and still accelerating
NR1313 serial number R-2004, went to The Texas Company in
July, 1930. A 300 hp R-975 Wright radial powered the ship, but
this was later changed to a specially modified 465 hp Wright
radial. This engine was installed after Franks Hawks' accident
at Travel Air Field in July. This view shows the airplane in its
original livery, with light grey fuselage and vermillion scallop
treatment. Wings were solid vermillion.
very fast. Holding about 100 feet altitude, Clarence let the
airspeed build higher. Then, to everyone's horror, the "R"
pitched down steeply without warning. Nerves went wild!
Clark was going to crash!
But the Travel Air's chief test pilot was just dipping
low to "get the feel" of the ship. He quickly recovered from
the dive, checked full throttle and hauled back on the
stick. Such aerial maneuvering showed how much confi-
dence Clark had in the ship, her designers and the
craftsman who built her. Clarence leveled off at the top of
his climb and proceeded to the flight test area.
For over 20 minutes he checked slow flight handling,
stalls, turning stability and most important, top speed.
Indicated airspeed at full throttle was 185 mph. Rawdon
and Burnham had done their homework well!
The "R" handled beautifully. Very little adjusting
would be required to make her perfect in the air. Clark
headed back for Travel Air Field, and set up his final
approach to the grass runway. About 90 mph worked well
on final until the field was made, then a slip for good
visibility and airspeed was reduced to 70 mph. Transition
from the slip to landing flare was smooth and easy, the
touchdown graceful.
Clark taxied back to the factory hangar area and shut
down the mighty radial. Rawdon, Burnham and Beech
were right there with an avalanche of questions. Clarence
just smiled. That was all the three men needed to know.
Walter Beech was so happy that he could hardly restrain
his enthusiasm. No doubt he was already thinking about
the glory this ship could garner for the company.
Further tests over the next few days continued to verify
the excellent performance expected of the design. 12 to 14
test flights were run before departure for Cleveland. With
the completed cowl in place, Clark recorded 225 mph! It
was more than Rawdon had hoped for, but there was a
problem. On the speed run aerodynamic forces caused the
cowl to impact the propeller blades, and only four fasteners
retained the unit as Clarence eased back to the field and
landed I 2. A fix was quickly found by increasing the
strength of the fasteners, and there were no more prob-
lems. R614K was groomed in the factory for her trip to
Cleveland, and the only part of her missing was the pilot.
Clarence Clark would have liked to have flown the
ship in the races, but Walter Beech chose Doug Davis of
Atlanta, Georgia for the job. This was no reflection on
Clark's ability. Beech had no doubt that Clarence could
be competitive, but Davis was lighter and he had more
experience in closed course pylon racing.
Beech and Davis had been friends for years and Doug
was a very successful Travel Air dealer at Candler Field
in Atlanta. Clark gave Davis all the assistance he could
to help him get familiar with the "R". Several flights were
flown and Doug felt very comfortable in the racer.
The Travel Air team departed Wichita on Sunday, Au-
gust 25, 1929, with R614K, R613K (the Chevrolair-pow-
ered sister ship flown by Clarence Clark). Rawdon and
Beech accompanied the duo in a Model 6000 monoplane.
Upon arrival at Cleveland, the two ships were rolled
into a hangar and closely guarded. Both "R"'s were occa-
sionally visible to onlookers, but were roped off to discour-
age the curious. Very little information was released to
the press by Beech. The public got their first look at the
"R" on August 30th, three days before the big race, Event
Number 26 on the race program.
The military was there. And they had a "hot" ship, too.
A Curtiss "Hawk", designated XP-3A had been modified
by the Army with NACA cowl, large fairing tub along the
fuselage and a Pratt & Whitney radial engine of 450 hp.
Captain R. G. Breene would pilot the XP-3A, while the
Navy's Curtiss entry, also slicked up for speed, was flown
by Lieutenant Commander J. J . Clark. It looked like the
military boys were going to have it their way again .. .
just go out there and blast by the competition.
The "Goliaths" of speed didn't realize it yet, but little
"David" had come to do battle - and he traded his
slingshot for monoplane wings and his five smooth stones
for 425 hp!
At last Event Number 26 was ready to begin. It was a
50 mile race around a marked pylon course. By 2 p.m. on
Labor Day afternoon all competitors were lined up and
ready to go. Doug Davis sat in R614K, the Wichita racer's
scarlet scheme catching everyone's eye. The Wright idled
nervously. Captain Breene and Lieutenant Clark were
close by, their eager mounts quivering with power, four
other ships stood ready, too.
Suddenly the air was filled with the cacophony of en-
gines at full throttle. The race was on! Breene jumped into
the lead. Davis and Clark were very close behind. The
grandstands were reverberating with cheering crowds.
Davis took the pylons high, about 300 feet, and held
his altitude during the turns. Breene dove on each pylon,
and it became apparent on the first lap that the duel be-
tween biplane and monoplane, between military and com-
mercial designs, settled squarely on Davis vs. Breene.
On one lap Davis thought he had cut inside a pylon
and recircled it to avoid the mandatory disqualification.
He lost much precious time, as he was leading Breene who
was pushing the Curtiss for all she was worth.
But the "R" was fast . Davis firewalled the Wright and
remained ahead to the finish. He was clocked at 208.69
(Courtesy Beech Aircraft Corporat ion and U.S. Air Force)
The vi ctor and the vanquished. Travel Air's Model " R" stands triumphant over its Army XP-3A opponent in the 1929 Thompson
Free-For-All event. Curtiss ship had 450 hp "Wasp", venturi cowl, revised windscreen, all cl early visible i n this view. Note the large
fai ring along forward fuselage used to streamline bulky radial to the Hawk airframe.
16 APRIL 1984
(Courtesy Earle Sayre)
R614K with NACA cowl installed prior to leaving for Cleveland. Overall color is red, with black scallop treatment on forward fuselage,
stabilizers and wing leading edges, outline with mint green borders.
mph on his fastest lap, and completed the race with an
average speed of 194.96 mph and an elapsed time of just
over 14 minutes. "Goliath" had fallen hard, but he was
down. As Davis taxiied in, the aviation world took a long,
hard look at the state of American military aviation.
A Kansas company, in existence only five years, had
designed, built and flown to victory a commercial airplane
that had, for the first time, defeated a military machine
in competition. The dominance of military aviation had
come to an end, but the legend of the "R" was just begin-
Walter Beech went around to the military camp collect-
ing some wagers he had made prior to the Thompson
event. Stopping by the Army and Navy areas, Beech had
a twinkle in his eye and a grin on his face as he collected
from his debtors.
Herb Rawdon had succeeded. His concept of a racing
airplane had excited the aviation world, and laid to rest
the old ways and ideologies of the biplane. The military
would be back in 1930, but armed with a monoplane.
(Courtesy Newman Wadlow)
Newman Wadlow taxies the Italian "Rn out for a test flight, July,
1931. Commander Sbneradori never flew ship for acceptance
due to Illness. He watched from the ground and was more than
satisfied with performance.
After the Cleveland races were over, R614K was flown
to Wichita and given a rest and refurbishment. She was
polished to a high sheen in preparation for a flying tour.
Clark took her to Sioux Falls, South Dakota and won. He
took her to Tulsa, Oklahoma and won again. Victory was
sweet for Travel Air and Walter Beech.
A racing license was issued to expire March 1, 1930.
Doug Davis flew the "R" from New York to Atlanta in 4
hours and 30 minutes. Another record flight for the "mys-
tery ship". After four months of promotional flying, Cur-
tiss-Wright obtained the racer for additional demonstra-
tion work in January, 1930. The Great Depression was
hitting the aviation industry very hard, and the champion
of Travel Air was called upon to do her part for the good
of the combine. Travel Air had been absorbed by the
merger of Curtiss and Wright Aeronautical in August,
Another racing license was issued to expire in Sep-
tember, but after hard months of flying the ship met with
an accident at Des Moines on August 28, 1930. Damage
to the wings and landing gear forced Curtiss-Wright to
store the speedster until a decision was made as to her fate.
Walter Hunter now entered the scene. He purchased
the Travel Air in June of 1931 and was granted a racing
license to expire September 1, 1932, after Hunter had com-
pleted repairs and modifications. This work was done by
Parks Air College of St. Louis. Two more fuel tanks were
installed, a full vision canopy replaced the open cockpit
and the fuselage lines were altered very slightly. 3
The Wright engine from the Hunter Brother's endur-
ance Stinson SM-1 was used. A new color of black fuselage
and orange wings with accent stripes was applied. The
airplane was flown without a cowl for test flights, but
Hunter had Rawdon and Burnham construct another
NACA unit for use on the ship. He flew the "R" to Wichita
where the cowl was installed and the racer given a good
From Travel Air Field Walter Hunter pointed the R-
100's nose east to Teterboro, New Jersey. Wright
Aeronautical installed a special, high-performance 600 hp
radial that barely fit inside the new cowl. After some test-
ing Hunter headed west to enter the airplane in the 1931
Bendix race.
He arrived at Los Angeles safely, but had made fuel
stops at St. Louis, Amarillo and Albuquerque, his proposed
fuel stops on the way to Cleveland, finish point of the
Hunter knew the fuel crews at these stops, and he par-
ticularly depended on the Amarillo boys for fast service.
At Los Angeles testing continued with the intent of get-
ting the propeller pitch setting correct for maximum
Eight entrants awaited the start of the Bendix on Sep-
tember 4th, and Walter Hunter was ofT and winging his
way east in the "R". Jimmy Doolittle was in the air, too,
and both men knew they had fast ships. Doolittle's Laird
Super Solution and Hunter's Travel Air could make the
race faster than the competition, but they didn't have the
range and endurance of the competing Lockheed Altairs,
Orions and the single Vega.
South of Terre Haute, Indiana the Wright gave trouble
and Hunter landed in a field. The engine caught fire on
the ground but the flames were extinguished with minor
damage. Two new magnetos were fitted by a Wright
mechanic and Hunter took ofT for Cleveland, out of the
Bendix (won by Doolittle) but still in contention for the
Thompson race.
On arrival at Cleveland and after making adjustments,
Hunter took ofT to fly the pylon course to familiarize him-
self with the setup. It was early in the morning on Sep-
tember 6th, and the grandstands were virtually empty.
Suddenly the engine failed, and Hunter 'changed fuel
tanks. Next thing he knew the cockpit was in flames! He
was less than 400 feet high, but Hunter climbed slightly.
In the struggle to unstrap himself to bailout, the "R"
pitched down, throwing Walter Hunter out with burned
hands and face.
His parachute opened and he hit the ground not far
away from the wrecked Travel Air. The ship didn't burn,
but it was severely damaged. In the same arena where the
"R" had burst upon the American aviation scene in 1929,
she now rested in silence, a broken reminder of the glory
days. Her graceful form would never again excite the eyes
and emotions of those who witnessed her flights.
The racer had the long-span wings installed during
Walter Hunter's ownership. The short-span wings had
been used in the 1929 Cleveland race. The empennage of
the R-100 remains today in the Staggerwing Museum at
Tullahoma, Tennessee, where an exact replica ofthe "mys-
tery ship" is under construction by museum foundation
Herb Rawdon's racer left a legacy of design superiority
that was quickly copied and adopted by other manufac-
(Continued on Page 21)
18 APRIL 1984
(Courtesy Beech Aircraft Corp.)
James Haizlip poses beside the third "R", serial number
R-2003. Shell Oil Company ordered the ship soon after
the Cleveland races, and took delivery in March, 1930.
Overall color was yellow with red scallop treatment on
wings and stabilizers. The racer was wrecked in 1931 and
Jimmy Doolittle bought the remains and had Parks Air
College rebuild it, using some of Doolittle's own
aeronautical refinements. It crashed on a test flight when
flutter tore off the ailerons, but Doolittle bailed out safely.
The Shell "R" was the first to receive new four-piece cowl
deSign, which greatly simplified fabrication of this essen-
tial part. Texaco's "R" and the Italian ship also had this
(Courtesy Ted Cochran)
Color of NR1313 was changed to red and white with broad width
stripe configuration, shown in this view of Frank Hawks and the
rebuilt "R". Three fuel tanks were built into the fuselage of R-
2003,2004 and 2005, giving total capacity of 109 gallons. Hawks
set over 200 records with hangs today in the Chicago
Museum of Science and Industry.
By George Hardie
Aircraft designers have long sought
to develop the truly safe airplane. Be-
ginning with the Guggenheim Safe
Aircraft Contest in 1927-29, won by
the Curtiss "Tanager", interest in the
problem has continued to this day.
Notable efforts have been the McDon-
nell "Doodlebug" in 1929; the STOL
(short take-ofT and landing) types in
the late 1930's and early 1940's - the
Fieseler "Storch", Bellanca YO-50
and Ryan YO-51 and the Bollinger-
Koppen "Helioplane" in 1949.
This month's Mystery Plane is
another mysterious unknown. The
photo was taken by Art Schmidt of
Milwaukee, Wisconsin at Machesney
Airport north of Rockford, Illinois in
1939. Evidently this was another
attempt to improve performance and
safety of operation. Nothing is known
as to designer/builder, nor owner or
purpose. Answers submitted will be
published in THE VINTAGE
AIRPLANE for July 1984.
The Mystery Plane featured in the
January, 1984 issue of THE VIN-
TAGE AIRPLANE still remains
somewhat of a mystery. Ted Businger
of Willow Springs, Missouri, who
knew Roy Russell personally, recalls:
"The photograph was taken at Cur-
tiss Field, Long Island at the time Roy
and his parents were working for Cur-
tiss on the NC boats. Roy felt that it
was a Curtiss experimental type, but
failed to pursue the matter at that
date. We speculated that it was a re-
build of the Curtiss S-3 "Scout" tri-
plane, on the basis of the repair sec-
tion on the cowl were the center wing
had been. The fuselage is very similar
to the S-3 unit.
"The wings have a great deal of
similarity to those used on a IN-4.
Roy felt sure they were built espe-
cially for this plane. The rudder is a
total departure from Curtiss standard
design for this era. Roy stated the en-
gine was a Curtiss V-2 and was the
only one he ever saw. On this basis he
surmised that the ship was rebuilt
from the triplane solely as a means
for testing and refining the engine."
John Clark of Pasadena, California
confirms this as follows:
"The Mystery Plane in the January,
1984 issue is a modification of the
1916-17 Curtiss S-3 "Scout" pursuit
of which only four were built and de-
livered in 1917. The original airplane
was powered with a Curtiss OXX-2 of
100 hp and was an equal-span tri-
plane. The photo appears to show the
S-3 modified as follows: Rudder of
original span but increased chord;
landing gear of larger 'vee' on each
side by moving the rear legs aft to ter-
minate in line with the wing trailing
edge instead of the tripe's leading
edge; and the triplane wings aban-
doned in favor of what appears to be
shortened-span (single bay) Standard
J-1 biplane wings and rigging, includ-
ing ailerons."
Paul Rizzo of East Meadow, New
York thought it might be a biplane
designed and built by Dan Brimm, an
engineer for the Ireland Aircraft Co.
at one time. The study of the photo
seems to support the evaluation by
Messrs. Businger and Clark, how-
ever. Any further comment will be
welcome .
Regular type, 50 per word; Bold Face, 55 per word; ALL CAPS,
60 per word. Rate covers one insertion, one issue; minimum
charge, $8.00. Classified ads payable in advance, cash with order.
Send ad with payment to Advertising Department, The VINTAGE
AIRPLANE, P.O. Box 2591, Oshkosh, WI 54903.
ACRO SPORT - Single place biplane capable of un-
limited aerobatics. 23 sheets of clear, easy to follow plans,
includes nearly 100 isometrical drawings, photos and
exploded views. Complete parts and materials list. Full
size wing drawings. Plans plus 88 page Builder's Manual
- $60.00. Info Pack - $4.00. Super Acro Sport Wing
Drawing - $15.00. Send check or money order to: ACRO
SPORT, INC., Box 462, Hales Corners, WI 53130. 414/
ACRO II - The new 2-place aerobatic trainer and sport
biplane. 20 pages of easy to follow, detailed plans. Com-
plete with isometric drawings, photos, exploded views.
Plans - $85.00. Info Pac - $4.00. Send check or money
order to: ACRO SPORT, INC., P.O. Box 462, Hales Cor-
ners, WI 53130. 414/425-4860.
POBER PIXIE - VW powered parasol - unlimited in
low-cost pleasure flying. Big, roomy cockpit for the over
six foot pilot. VW power insures hard to beat 3% gph at
cruise setting. 15 large instruction sheets. Plans - $45.00.
Info Pack - $4.00. Send check or money order to: ACRO
SPORT, INC., Box 462, Hales Corners, WI 53130. 414/
FL V-IN, Wilbur Wright Memorial Birthday Fly-In, April
13-15, 1984 at Wright Brothers National Memorial, First
Flight Airstrip, Kill Devil Hill , North Carolina. Awards,
banquet, fly for fun. Sponsored by the National Park Ser-
vice and EAA Chapter 339. Contact Steve Thomas 804/
J-3 Replica % scale LM-2, single place, wood construction,
detachable wings, empty 345, 30 HP Cuyuna, cruise 65,
160 page construction manual $95.00 from Light Minia-
ture Aircraft, 13815 NW 19th Ave., Opa-Locka, FL 33054,
305/681-4068. Kits from Wicks Aircraft Supply.
1929 HEATH SUPER Parasol, 40 hp Continental or 27
hp Henderson, Ceconite covering, excellent condition.
Completely rebuilt cost over $12,000.00, make offer.
Mr. Dorcas, 419/241-4261.
APRIL 7 & 8 - CONROE, TEXAS - Chapter 302 Annual Fly-in at the County
Airport. Food, fun and prizes as usual ; all welcome. Contact Wally Tuttle
Memorial Birthday Fly-In, Wright Brothers National Memorial First Fly
Airstrip. Awards, banquet, fly for fun. Sponsored by National Park Service
and EAA Chapter 339. Contact: Steve Thomas - 804/463-0617.
APRIL 14-15 - WASHINGTON , DC - 3rd Annual Tour of National Air &
Space Museum and Paul E. Garber facility. Sponsored by EAA Chapter
4, Inc. Dinner with speaker of note. Limited to 200. Contact Bernie
Meserole, 15216 Manor Lake Drive, Rockville, MD 20853, 301 /460-8207.
APRIL 26-29 - SEDONA, ARIZONA - International Cessna 195 Club West-
ern Regional Fly-In. Contact Dr. W. W. Rogers, 5716 N. 19th Ave.,
Phoenix, AZ 85015, 602/ 249-1616 days, 248-0782 evenings.
Chapter 3 Fly-In. Antiques, Classi cs, Homebuilts and Warbirds welcome.
Old films on Friday and awards banquet on Saturday. Contact: Espie
Joyce, P. O. Box 88, Madison, NC 27025. Day: 919/427-0216; evening:
MAY 18-20 - COLUMBIA, CALIFORNIA - 8th Annual Continental Luscombe
Assoc. Fly-In. Contests. Forums by Luscombe Company alumni. Hope to
have over 100 Luscombes attending. Contact: Loren Bump, 5736 Esmar
Rd, Ceres, CA 95307.
MAY 18-20 - HAYWARD, CALIFORNIA - Hayward to Las Vegas Air Race.
Proficiency air race with no handicap. Student pilots welcome. Factory-bui lt
antique and experimental aircraft capable of flying to Las Vegas in seven
hours welcome. $500 cash prize. Contact Hayward Air Race Committee,
20301 Skywest Drive, Hayward, CA 94541 or call Lou Chianese at 415/
581-2345, ext. 5285.
MAY 19-20 - CHINO, CALIFORNIA - 5th Annual Air Museum Air Di splay.
1984 theme is: "Salute to U.S. Marine Aviation." Pappy Boyington and a
dozen-plus Corsairs will be there. Contact The Air Museum, Planes of
Fame, WW II, Cal-Aero Field, 7000 Merrill Avenue, Chino, CA 91710.
MAY 19 - HAMPTON, NEW HAMPSHIRE - 8th Annual Aviation Flea Market
at Hampton Airfield. (Rain date Sunday, May 20th) Fly in, drive in, bring
your junk! Buyers and sellers welcome. No fees. Anylhing aviation related
OK. Food available from 11 :00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Contact 603/964-6749
or evenings 603/964-6632.
MAY 25-27 - ATCHISON, KANSAS - 18th Annual Fly-In sponsored by
Greater Kansas City Area Chapter of Ant ique Airplane Association at
Amel ia Earhart Airport in Atchison. Pot-luck dinner Friday, Awards banquet
Saturday. Accommodations available at Benedictine College, motels and
camping. 80 and 100 octane fuel available. For information contact Lynn
Wendl, Fly-In Chairman, 8902 Pflumm, Lenexa, KS 66215, 913/888-7544
or John Krekovich, President, 7801 Lowell , Overland Park, KS 66214,
MAY 28 - PT. PLEASANT, WEST VIRGINIA - 2nd Annual Memorial Day
Fly-in, Drive-in Breakfast, Mason County Airport. Sponsored by the West
Virginia 99's. Serving begins at 8:00 a.m. Contact: Lois A. Fida, #308 N.
York St. , Wheeling, W. VA 26003.
JUNE 1, 2, & 3 - MERCED, CALIFORNIA - 27th Annual Merced West
Coast Antique Fly-In. Merced Municipal Airport . Fabulous air show Satur-
day and Sunday. Free transportation to Castle Air Museum. Contact: Dee
Humann, Registration Chairman, Merced West Coast Antique Fly-In, P.
O. Box 2312, Merced, CA 95344 or phone 209/358-3487.
Ale NEWS ...
(Continued from Page 11)
Harry Zeisloft, EAA' s Director of Research and De-
velopment, reports the EAA Aviation Foundation will be
flying four aircraft to the Phoenix, Arizona area early this
April to further the auto fuel program. The aircraft in-
clude a Cessna 172ILycoming 0-320, Piper PA-28-140/
Lycoming 0-320, Ercoupe 415C/Continental C-85 and
Beech Bonanza G-35/Continental E-225-8.
This area was chosen so the testing can be ac-
complished with actual ambient temperatures near the
100 mark. EAA's goal is to obtain FAA approval for the
use of auto fuel in these aircraft prior to the 1984 Conven-
tion at Oshkosh. Watch these pages for updates on the
20 APRIL 1984
JUNE 3 - DEKALB, ILLINOIS - EAA Chapter 241 Annual Fly-In/ Drive-In
Breakfast. 7 a.m. to noon. DeKalb Municipal Airport. Contact: Gerry Thorn-
hill , P. O. Box 125, Hampshire, IL 60140, 312/683-2781.
JUNE 3 - CADIZ, OHIO - 5th Annual Fly-lnlDrive-ln breakfast at Harrison
County Airport starting at 8 a.m. Airshow in p.m. co-sponsored by E. F.
Aircraft Services and Harrison County Airport Authority. For information
call 614/942-8313.
JUNE 8-9 - TULSA, OKLAHOMA - 1st Annual Spartan Alumni Fly-in at
International Business Aircraft , Inc., Tulsa International Airport. All Spartan
aircraft owners are especially invited. Contact: Karla Morrow or Vern Foltz
at Spartan Alumni Office, P.O. Box 51133, Tulsa, OK 74151 .
JUNE 8-10 - MIDDLETOWN, OHIO - Aeronca Fly-In. Again with tours,
banquet on Saturday night with speakers and aircraft judging awards.
Contact: Jim Thompson, Box 102, Roberts IL 60962, Phone 217/395-2522.
JUNE 8-10 - DENTON, TEXAS - Texas Chapter Antique Airplane Associ -
ation 1984 Fly-In at Denton Airport. For information contact Ralph & Bonnie
Stahl, Box 115-X, Roanoke, TX 76262, 817/430-8589.
JUNE 15-17 - PAULS VALLEY, OKLAHOMA - Antique Airplane Association
- Greater Oklahoma City Chapter Fly-In. Contact: Luke Reddout, Rt. 2,
Box 269, Newcastle, OK 73065 or Dick Fournier, Rt. 3, Box 82, Wellston,
OK 74881 .
JUNE 15-17 - OSHKOSH, WISCONSIN - 3rd Annual EAA Ultralight Con-
vention. Contact EAA Headquarters for information, Wittman Airfield, Osh-
kosh, WI 54903-2591 , 414/426-4800.
JUNE 22-24 - TOPEKA, KANSAS - 4th Annual EAA Chapter 313 SKY FUN
Fly-In at Phillip Billard Airport (no radio - see NOTAMS). Early bird ham-
burger fry (free) 6-7 p.m. Friday. Contests, Fly-bys, judging and awards
banquet Saturday. Trophies awarded in ultralight, antique/classic, home-
built, warbird, and craftmanship classes. Contact: Keven Drewelow 913/
272-4916 or Andy Walker 913/685-3228.
JUNE 28-30 - RUTH, CALIFORNIA - Meyer's Aircraft Owner's Annual Fly-In
at Flying Double A Ranch. Attending will be OTWs - 145s - 200s - and the
Turbo Prop Interceptor 400. Contact. David l. Hallstrom, P.O. Box 4280,
Scottsdale, AZ 85260.
JUNE 30-JULY 1 - DAYTON, OHIO - Morane Airport. Luscombe Associa-
tion Fly-In. Bus trips to Air Force Museum for early arrivals on Friday and
possibly Saturday. Forums and camping facilities. Motels nearby. Contact:
John Bright, 436 Stuart St. , Kalamazoo, MI 49007. 616/344-0958.
JUNE 28 - JULY 1 - HAMILTON, OHIO - 25th Annual National Waco
Reunion. Contact National Waco Club, 700 Hill Ave., Hamilton, OH 45015.
JULY 6-8 - MINDEN, NEBRASKA - 8th Annual National Stinson Club Fly-In.
Contact: George Leamy, 117 Lanford Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301 ,
phone 803/576-9698.
JULY 6-8 - ALLIANCE, OHIO - 12th Annual Taylorcraft Fly-In/ Reunion at
Barber airport, 3 miles north of Alliance. Factory tours, forums, and many
other activities. Contact: Bruce Bixler, at 216/823-9748.
JULY 27-28 - COFFEYVILLE, KANSAS - 7th Annual Funk Aircraft Owners
Association Fly-In. For information contact: Ray Pahls, President, 454 S.
Summitlawn, Wichita, KS 67209.
JULY 28 - AUGUST 4 - OSHKOSH, WISCONSIN - 32nd Annual Fly- In
Convention. Start making your plans now to attend the World's Greatest
Aviation Event. Contact EAA, Wittman Airfield, Oshkosh, WI 54903-2591 ,
AUGUST 6-10 - FOND DU LAC, WISCONSIN - Fifteenth Annuallnterna-
tional Aerobatic Club Championships and Convention. Contact EAA Head-
quarters for information. Wittman Airfield, Oshkosh, WI 54903-2591, 414/
Plans for the EAA and EAA Aviation Foundation
promotion in conjunction with the opening of the new
MGM film THE A VIATOR are progressing well . Details
of the program are being developed and should be avail-
able for release in May's THE VINTAGE AIRPLANE.
John Bright and John Bergeson are starting a Cub
Club for owners and fans of E-2, J-2, J-3, PAolI , PA-18,
J-4, L-4 and J-5 aircraft. Six newsletters will be published
annually with an emphasis on technical and historical
information. The club will sponsor fly-ins and forums and
also have such merchandise available as patches, decals,
caps, T-shirts, and belt buckles. Dues are $10 per year and
the club will be in full operation by April 1, 1984. For
information contact John Bergeson, Cub Club, P.O. Box
2002, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan 48858. 5171773-3436 .
Thelast"MysteryShip"builtwasserialnumberR-2005, soldto
Italyin July, 1931. L. G. Larsen isshownpilotingtheshipona
test flight. Newman Wadlowalsosharedflighttestdutieswith
Larsen. Given DepartmentofCommerce number11717forex-
men for study by the Italians. 300 hp Wright engine shows
graph. Note arrangement ofexhaust stacks, paintstripescar-
(CourtesyCarl Burnham)
(Continuedfrom Page 18)
turers. Even Wall Streetrecognized the greatness ofthe
TravelAir.Itreferredto itas"thatbullishfeatureofthe
Atotaloffive Model R-IOO shipswerebuiltbyTravel
Air, with number three going to Shell Oil Company,
number four to the Texas Company and number five to
the Italian Air Ministry. Only numberfour and number
two (the original Chevrolair ship) exist today. They are
symbolsofa once-proudcompanyandthemenwhomade
a dreamcome true.
(1) WichitaEaglenewspaper, August20, 1929issue.
(2) Interviewwith Clarence E. Clark, 1981.
(3) Correspondence withJackandPaulineWinthrop.Mrs. Win-
importance the Model R-IOO had in American aviation history.
Hediedon10/17/83.Also seearticleaboutHunterandNR614K
on page 6 of the February 1983 issue of THE VINTAGE
(4) The Staggerwing Museum Foundation and Mr. Dub Yar-
brough,correspondence andpersonal visitation, 1980.
[ E ~ i ]
~ FOUNDATION __________...
1929- 1930- 1931 - 1932- 1933
Price:$2.50ea. ppd.
OSHKOSH, WI 54903-3065
Allow4-6 Weeks for Delivery
Wisconsin Residents Include 5% Sales Tax
Finish itrightwithan
Custom Quality at economical prices.
Cushion upholsterysets
Wall panel sets
Firewall covers
Recoverenvelopesand dopes
showing actual sample colorsand stylesofmaterials:$3.00.
airtexproducts, in:'
259LowerMorrisvilleRd.,Dept. VA
Fallsington, PA 19054 (215) 295-4115

Pilots: EMPilot Log Book $2.95 ppd.
AircraftOwnersand Builders:
EMAmateur Built Aircraft
Log Book ............... $2.95 ppd.
EMPropeller (or Rotor)
Log Book . . ........ ... . . $2.95 ppd.
EMEngine and Reduction Drive
Log Book ............... $2.95 ppd.
UltralightOwnersand Operators:
EAA Ultralight Pilot's Log and
Achievement Record $2.95 ppd.
EMUltralight Engine and
Aircraft Log .............. $2.95 ppd.
CAM-18 (Reprint of early
CMManual) ............ $6.95 ppd.
Amateur-Built Aircraft Service and
Maintenance Manual $5.95 ppd.
Wittman Airfield Oshkosh, WI 54903-2591
Phone 414/426-4800
Includepaymentwith order- Wise.residentsadd5%salestax
Allow4-6weeks fordelivery
Jacket - unlined tan poplin with gold and
white braid trim. Knit waist and cuffs, zipper
front and slash pockets. Antique/Classic
logo patch on chest.
Sizes- XS through XL ........... $28.95 ppd
Cap - pale gold mesh with contrasting blue
bill , trimmed with gold braid. Antique/ Classic
logo patch on crown ofcap.
Sizes - M and L
(adjustable rearband) .... . . ..... $ 6.25 ppd
Antlque/Clasllc Patches
Large - 4Y2" across.............. $ 1.75ppd
Small- 3V..' across..............$ 1.75 ppd
AntIque/Claslic Decals-
4" across(shown left) ........... $ .75 ppd
AvailableBackIssuesofThe VINTAGE AIRPLANE
1973- March through December
1974- Februarythrough November
1975- Januarythrough December
1976- Februarythrough June,August through December
1977- Januarythrough December
1978- Januarythrough March,May,August,Octoberthrough December
1979- Februarythrough December
1980- January,March through July,Septemberthrough December
1981 - Januarythrough December
1982- Januarythrough March,May through December
1983- January, March through December
1984- January, February,March
Per Issue ...... . ......... .......................... $1.25 ppd
Lindbergh Commemorative Issue (July 1977) ................. $1.50 ppd
EAA Antlaue/CIBsslcDivision, Inc.
WlttmBn Airfield,Oshkosh, WI54903-2591
Allow4-6Weeks forDelivery
Wisconsin Residents Include 5%Sales Tax
22 APRIL 1984
Good NewsforOwnersofCessna*Aircraft
With EnginesApprovedfor80OctaneAvgas
(Another Example ofthe EAA Aviation Foundation Working for You!)
toevaluatethesuitabil ityofunleadedregularautogasolineforaircraft
approvedfortheuseof80octaneavgas.TheSTCs.which permitthe
use of less costly. readily available unleaded auto gasoline.are now
costsand maintenancecostsoverusing100LLavgas.TheSTC'scost
only 50 per hp - (Example: 85 hp - $42.50; 230 hp - $115.00).
Non-EAAmembersadd $15.00tothistotal.
intendstocontinueitsautofueltestprogramonotheraircraft- including
low wing types.Join EAA - $25.00annually - getyour STC at the
special member rate. and support the organization which is making
aviationmoreeconomical foryou.
at414/ 426-4800extension3033.
Wittman Airfield Oshkosh,WI 54903-3065
Phone:414/426-4800Ext. 3033
'Includes Cessna 120. 140. 140A. 150. 150A t hru M. 18 0, 180A thru J. 182, 182A t hru P
Continental engines 40thru 100 h.p. and 230h.p.
See this priceless collection of
rare. historically significant air-
craft.all imaginativelydisplayed
intheworld'slargest. mostmod-
the many educational displays
and audio-visual presentations.
StopDy - here'ssomethingthe
entire family will enjoy. Just
Mondaythru Saturday
11 :00a.m.to5:00 p.rn.
Closed Easter,Thanksgiving. Christmas
and NewYears Day (Guided grouptour
in advance).
The EAA Aviation Center is located on
WittmanField,Oshkosh.Wis. - justoff
Highway41. Going North ExitHwy. 26
or 44.Going South Exit Hwy. 44 and
followsigns. Forfly-ins - free bus from
Basler FIightService.

Wi ttman Airfield
Oshkosh, WI54903-3065
SportAviation's PremierEvents- BeThere!
showplace- visitthenewEAA
AviationCenter- beapartofthe

fOr new
",{\"\e \0a\\ ... ... aircraft In alfiatioand
\ot\lt1'S,ef\d 0 t'l0f\e technOI ary .aerobat: .antiqUe n ...
. \"\\Gta f\de"e EP>.P>. Ogy' s...N IC dern and
'he 0
. ce... irn/J nlYelfe
EP>.P>. \l ortant d nt Of it .
",{\"\e tea\\'I J 0INTHE ASA
. \"\\\\\9 e09\e Pace
...$25.00 peryear. ($15.00 for EAAmembers) Become apartofthe organization that makes things happen!
Formore informationwriteorcall
EAAULTRALIGHTASSOCIATION Wittman Airfield, Oshkosh,WI 54903-2591 (414) 426-4800