Welcome to Everett!
The City of Everett is beautifully situated on a peninsula
bordered by the Snohomish River to the east and Port
Gardner Bay and Puget Sound on the west. Today we can view
two mountain ranges"the Cascades to the east and the
Olympics to the west. But before this area was heavily settled,
the forests were so thick with huge trees that you would not
have been able to see the mountains from here.
Everett was named for the son of one of the original founders, Charles Colby. Its population, as of the
2010 census, is 103,000, making it the 6
largest city in the state. The city limits include a total area of
nearly 50 square miles #125.29 km
$, of which 15 square miles #38.95 km
$ is water.
A Quick Look Into Our Past...
The Hibulb tribe, or “People of the Salmon,” were the
original people to inhabit the Everett Peninsula. They
lived next to the river where it emptied into a deep%water
bay, which provided both abundant food and
On June 4, 1792, George Vancouver landed on the beach
south of the village and claimed the entire area for the
King of England. He
named the bay Port
Gardner for a member
of his party.
The ﬁrst permanent
settler in the area that
would become Everett
came in 1861. He built
a cabin on 160 acres
along Port Gardner
Bay and lived alone, cut o& from
his nearest neighbors by the deep forests.
Settlement continued, the main industry being related to
the rich timber resources. By 1903, Everett boasted 10
sawmills and 12 shingle mills with industry employing 2835
Everett incorporated in 1893. Some of the earliest citizens
were Bible Students, who met at Wall Street and
Sister’s Bible Study Group 1905
Meeting Invitation Circa 1922
In subsequent years, local Witnesses used many
methods to preach including a sound car, phonograph
testimony cards, street witnessing with canvas
magazine bags and sandwich boards.
Two zealous preachers fondly remembered from the
1940’s are Lincoln Temple and his sister Dee Ponds.
As two of the few African Americans in the area, they
would have faced considerable prejudice. Added to
this would be the prejudice felt toward Jehovah’s
Witnesses in that intensely patriotic time.
Sister Adela Kooper recalled that her ﬁrst
introduction to the truth was Brother Temple playing
the phonograph at her door in the early 40’s. She
didn’t understand what the recording was about, but
when her brother and sister%in%law began studying
with the Witnesses, she thought there must be
something to it and began studying herself.
Dee Ponds & Lincoln Templ"
Many accepted the truth and made progress, and the
Everett “company” grew. In 1942, a baptism was held
at a sister’s farm in Monroe. Candidates were
immersed in a large watering trough. Another
baptism was held at Silver Lake in 1955.
Over time, the congregations divided and grew and
divided again. Today, there are more than 30
congregations in Snohomish County, meeting in 14
Baptism Day 1942
Everett Company, early 1930’s
Time to travel...
Many of our local brothers and sisters had great appreciation
for spiritual food. They traveled long distances at great
expense to attend conventions. They would take several
weeks o& work, or even quit their jobs. Some constructed
camping trailers to travel 6,000 miles round trip to New York
for landmark conventions in 1950, 1953, and 1958.
For many years before a Kingdom Hall was built, the
Everett congregation met in a rented room above
Dean’s Drug Store. One of our sisters recalls visiting
in the stairwell after the friday night meeting and
hearing the music and noise of the neighboring
The ﬁrst Kingdom Hall in Everett, on Wetmore
Avenue, was built during World War II. It took about
two years to build and was completed in 1944. Poorly
constructed without rafters, it presented problems for
the brothers. They installed iron rods with
turnbuckles to hold the building together.
Nevertheless, it served our brothers until a
replacement was built on Madison Street in 1980. In
the early 1950s, a second Kingdom Hall was built in
Dean’s Drug Stor"
South Everett Ha# Construction, 1950’s
Wetmore Avenue Ha#
The North Everett Hall was completed on this site in
1976 after about a year of construction. It was
destroyed by an electrical ﬁre in 1985, so preparation
was made to replace it by means of a 48%hour “Quick
Build.” Hundreds of volunteers
came to participate
and witness a miracle.
They began at 7am
Saturday morning. In
minutes, the walls were
framed and lifted. Nine
hours later, the roof was
on. By Sunday evening
the interior and exterior
were complete and the landscaping was in. It has been
remodeled a few times since, most recently to install
equipment for the ASL congregation.
1976 Kingdom Ha#
1985 “Quick Build”
North Everett Today
Expanding our preaching work i!
The variety of people to whom we preach in Everett and surrounding
Snohomish Count have shifted over time. The
Spanish%speaking ﬁeld is growing quickly. Currently,
there are 30,000%50,000 Spanish speakers living in
the county. The local Spanish congregation, the ﬁrst
in Snohomish county, began as a group in 1991, and
became a congregation in 1993. Seven more have been
Not to be overlooked is the sign language ﬁeld. Sign
Language #ASL$ congregations are the third most
numerous in the US Branch. The Everett Sign
Language congregation formed about two years ago
to reach deaf people in Snohomish County and
About 13' of the population of Snohomish County
were born outside the US, and upwards of 70,000
people speak a language other than English or Spanish
at home. The third largest language group in the county is Korean, served by
a Korean congregation in Lynnwood. There are 10 Korean congregations in
the Paciﬁc NW #including British Columbia, Canada.$
The North Everett Congregation hosted an Arabic group for a few years #it
has since moved closer to Seattle$, and the Bayside congregation hosts a
Russian Group. There is a Tagalog #a Philippine language$ congregation in
Marysville, and speakers of Cambodian, Chinese, Romanian, Vietnamese,
Punjabi, and several other languages are reached by congregations or groups
in the Seattle Metro area. About 3 years ago, the ﬁrst Nepali Public Meeting
on the West Coast was held here, attended by people from as far away as
Spokane #300 miles / 483 km from Everett$. Language classes have been held
in Arabic, ASL, Russian, and Spanish to help publishers preach in those
Even foreign%language speakers outside the area are
reached in the Port Witnessing program, where
brothers are approved to board ships docked at the
Port of Everett. The brothers present the Bible’s
message to sailors from many countries, such as the
Philippines, Russia, and China, using Bibles, books,
and videos in the appropriate languages. The Bayside
congregation serves as the local hub for this
assignment, with literature stocked in approximately
30 di&erent languages.
Of course, door%to%door preaching is still the primary
method to reach people with the good news. But,
following the counsel from Jehovah’s organization, the
Everett congregations have expanded their preaching
to include other methods. North Everett English
regularly sta&s literature carts at Everett’s Transit
Center and near the County Courthouse, while Bayside
sets up at the Everett Community College. The Sign
Language congregation also uses carts for public
witnessing in their territory. Other publishers visit
businesses, make phone calls, and write letters to reach
those inaccessible by door%to%door activity.
North Spanish congregatio!
North English congregatio!
Sign Language congregatio!
... for joining us in the ministry and for the upbuilding association. We rejoice in having a tast"
of our worldwide brotherhood, and look forward to serving Jehovah alongside our whol"
association of brothers through this system and into God’s new world!
$ North Everett congregations
“I wi# change the language of the peoples to a pure language, so that a# of the%
may ca# on the name of Jehovah, to serve him shoulder to shoulder.”
$ Zephaniah 3:9