Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada


Table of Contents
Appendix A: Document Checklist Appendix B: Police Certificates/Clearances Appendix C: Photo Specifications Appendix D: Medical Instructions

Family Class

Sponsorship of parents, grandparents, adopted children and other relatives Visa Office Specific Instructions


Ce guide est également disponible en français

IMM 3025 E (01-2006)

Appendix A Checklist
Assemble all your documents as listed. Check ( ) each applicable item on the checklist and attach the checklist to your documents (a paper clip will do). Send originals of the Immigration forms and all other documents unless instructed otherwise. The Engagement, if you intend to live in the province of Québec, and the police certificates, must be originals. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals. Original documents will be returned to you after they have been examined. If other documents are required, we will advise you. If there are any discrepancies in the civil status documents you have submitted, provide a sworn affidavit explaining those discrepancies.
1. IMMIGRATION FORMS Check that they are complete and, where applicable, signed: Application for Permanent Residence - This form is completed by you, the principal applicant. Schedule 1 - Background/Declaration - You and each of your family member 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form. Additional Family Information - You and each of your family member 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form. Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire - This form is completed by you if you are sponsored by your spouse, common law or conjugal partner. Use of a Representative - If you want us to deal with a representative on your behalf, be sure you have completed and signed the Use of a Representative form (IMM 5476). 2. IDENTITY AND CIVIL STATUS DOCUMENTS Birth or baptismal certificate (if the birth is late registered, include the original baptismal certificate and/or other original documents establishing identity such as old school records, voter’s ID, etc. These documents are not issued by NSO). Marriage certificate, certificate of No Record of Previous Marriage (CENOMAR), certified copies of final divorce, copy of divorce petition, annulment or separation certificates for you and spouse or common-law partner; death certificate for spouse if applicable. If you are in a common-law or conjugal relationship, provide proof of that relationship.

Note: CIC does not recognise a marriage, which does not conform to the laws of the country in which the marriage took place. Note: If married in Canada or other overseas countries, submit the original marriage certificate issued by the proper government authority of that country.
For the Philippines: the National Statistical Office (NSO) must authenticate birth certificates, marriage certificates and death certificates. For Japan: A certified official copy of and one translation of your “Koseki Tohon.” All names in the Family Register, even the ones that have been removed due to death, marriage, change of residence, etc., must be included. The translation should be done by a certified translator. For applicants who are parents or grandparents: Marriage certificate, if applicable. Death certificate of former spouse, if widowed. Birth certificates for the sponsor and applicants for parents. Birth certificate for the sponsor and sponsor’s parents for grandparents.

Sponsorship III - Parents, grandparents, adopted children... – Manila



CHILDREN'S INFORMATION Children’s original birth certificates (which name their parents). If you are divorced of separated, you must submit proof that you have custody of the children, that you have fulfilled all obligations in custody agreements and that the children are free to move to Canada. For dependant children aged 22 or over, you must provide: proof of continuous full-time studies, complete school records/transcripts since attaining age 22, letters from the school(s) indicating the number of hours of classes attended per day, and the number of days attended per week, proof of financial support by sponsor since attaining age 22 or medical history if they are unable to provide for themselves due to a medical condition. For the Philippines: Baptismal certificate. Children under 18 who are travelling alone or with seomeone other than his/her biological parents or adoptive parents must submit a travel clearance for the Department of Social Welfare and Development. For adopted children: Adoption petition, adoption decision (certified true copy), child study report and home study report from Canada, original birth certificate indicating the names of the natural parents, amended birth certificate indicating the names of the adoptive parents and evidence of communication with the sponsor, including correspondence (with envelopes), photos, long distance phone calls, receipts for financial support if applicable. For applicants who are orphaned: Death certificates of parents (certified as authentic by the National Statistical Office).


TRAVEL DOCUMENTS AND PASSPORTS Passports or travel documents for you, your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children. The expiry date of the passport must be at least 18 months from the date of your submission. Include only copies of pages showing the passport number, date of issue and expiration, your photo, name, date and place of birth. If you reside in a country different from your nationality, include a copy of your visa for the country in which you currently reside. PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP IN CANADA Proof of relationship to your sponsor in Canada, such as birth, adoption and marriage certificates. A photocopy of the Record of Landing (IMM 1000) of your sponsor or proof of Canadian Citizenship (i.e. biodata pages of a Canadian passport or Canadian citizenship card) as applicable is required. For the Philippines: the National Statistical Office (NSO) must authenticate all relationship documents such as Birth certificate, Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate. For Japan: A certified official copy of your Family Register (“Koseki Tohon”). All names in the Family Register (even those which have been removed due to death, marriage, change of residence, etc.) must be included. This document must be translated and certified as a true translation of the original.



POLICE CERTIFICATES AND CLEARANCES Police certificates or clearances from each country in which you and every one in your family aged 18 years or over have resided six months or longer since reaching 18 years of age. You must attach the original police document(s). ENGAGEMENT Engagement if your intention is to reside in the province of Québec. PHOTO REQUIREMENTS Supply nine (9) recent photos for each member of your family and yourself. Follow the instructions in your guide (see Photos in section on completing the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada) and in Appendix C: Photo Specifications.

7. 8.

Note: Do not submit fraudulent documents/information. The Embassy regularly checks documents for authenticity and the submission of false documents could result in the refusal of your application.


Sponsorship III - Parents, grandparents, adopted children... – Manila

In order to offer better and more expedient service to our clients, be aware that if either the application form or the Additional Family Information form is not fully completed we will not accept the application or maintain any record of the application. The study of your application will start only when all the documents requested above have been provided.

Sponsorship III - Parents, grandparents, adopted children... – Manila


Mailing your application
Place all of your documents in a sealed envelope and mail them to: The Canadian Embassy Visa Section PO Box 2168, Makati Central PO Makati City 1200 Philippines You may also deliver them in person or by courier to: Canadian Embassy Visa Section RCBC Plaza Tower 2, 6th Floor 6819 Ayala Avenue Salcedo Village, Makati City Should you wish to use a commercial courier, we have made arrangements with DHL Worldwide Express, to ensure the safe and expeditious handling and transmission of your properly completed immigration application package to our office. However, you are under no obligation to favour DHL over any other commercial courier. The choice of what method you use, be it a commercial courier or the postal system, is up to you. Do not send cash.

Case Processing
Once you have submitted a properly completed application package in person, by mail or through DHL and our office has accepted the package for processing, you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt. You will then be notified of our decision. We will notify you that: (a). your immigrant visa(s) has been approved by sending the visa(s) and all original documents to you via DHL. Note that you are required to pay for all charges associated with this delivery; (b). your application has been refused – in which case we will provide you with a written explanation as to why this conclusion has been reached; or (c). some further information is necessary to enable us to make a decision – in which case you will be asked to submit the information, either through correspondence or through a personal interview with a visa officer. You may also be asked to submit additional medical information or undergo further medical tests.

Processing Times
The processing time of your application commences from the date of acceptance by our office of your completed application form and all documentation for the kind of family class application that you are making. If you have submitted your application and all required documentation and have received no initial response from our office within two months, please write to the address listed above or send a fax to (632) 810-4659 stating your name, date of birth, and file number (if one has been assigned) and we will follow up your application.


Sponsorship III - Parents, grandparents, adopted children... – Manila

Appendix B Obtaining Police Certificates/Clearances
You must provide a police certificate or clearance, or record of no information for yourself, your spouse or common-law partner (if applicable) and all of your family members indicating any criminal record or absence of criminal record. Everyone in your family aged 18 or over requires a police certificate/clearance from each country in which they have lived for six months or longer since reaching 18 years of age. It is your responsibility to contact the police or relevant authorities to obtain the necessary police certificate or clearance. You may have to provide information or documentation regarding photographs, fingerprints or your addresses and periods of residence in that country. You may also be asked to pay a fee for the service.

NBI clearances for yourself, your spouse, and each family member aged 18 or older. Only NBI certificates with dry seal and thumbprint will be accepted. Note: If the notation on the NBI certificate for you or a member of your family is other than “No Record on File” or “No Derogatory Record”, you must also submit an NBI written explanation.

You and all your family members aged 18 and over, whether they are accompanying to Canada or not, must obtain police clearances from your Prefectural Police Headquarters Identification Section covering your time of residence in Japan. Residents of Tokyo must contact the Police Certificate Sub-section, 1st Foreign Affairs Section, Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department. Enclosed is a letter that will enable you to apply for these certificates. Make as many photocopies of this letter as you need for yourself and your family members, write in the appropriate names after “Dear”, and present them to the appropriate police authorities. These authorities will instruct you as to the documentation and time they require to issue your certificates. Once they have provided certificates for all of you, send the original to us as part of your immigration application package.

All applicants
If you or a family member has lived in Canada, you must obtain a police certificate by writing to: Royal Canadian Mounted Police NCO-IC Civil Section, Information and Identification Services P.O. Box 8885 Ottawa, Ontario Canada K1G 3M8 Provide full names, dates of birth, sex, and places and dates of residence in Canada for each person who requires such a certificate. You will also be required to submit a set of fingerprints for each person. You can usually obtain these through your local police station. The RCMP does not currently charge for this service. The RCMP will send the certificates directly to our office when they are available. You need only to submit a photocopy of your request letter to the RCMP with your application package as proof that you have complied with this requirement where it is applicable. If you or your family members have lived in other locations we shall advise you of addresses or procedures when your application is reviewed.

Family Class Application – Manila


We will also do our own background checks in all countries in which you and your family members have lived. These checks will determine if you have any arrests or convictions, or if you are a security risk to Canada.


Family Class Application – Manila

Appendix C Photo Specifications
Notes to the applicant
TAKE THIS WITH YOU TO THE PHOTOGRAPHER • • Immigration photos are not the same as passport photos. Make sure that you provide the correct number of photos specified in the Checklist.

Notes to the photographer
The photos must:
• • • show a full front view of the person’s head and shoulders showing full face centred in the middle of the photograph; have a plain white background; be identical (black and white or colour) produced from the same untouched negative, or exposed simultaneously by a split-image or multi-lens camera.

The photos must:
• • measure between 25 mm and 35 mm (1” and 1 3/8”) from chin to crown; have a 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8” x 1 3/4”) finished size.

Max. 35 mm (1 3/8”)

35 mm (1 3/8”)

45 mm (1 3/4”)

Min. 25 mm (1”)


Appendix D Medical Instructions
Everyone included in your application, whether accompanying you or not, must undergo a medical examination with a physician on the list of designated doctors. If you are a divorced or separated parent, a minor child of whom you have joint or sole custody is considered a dependent child, even if he or she usually lives with the other parent and is not accompanying you to Canada. This office will forward medical instructions as soon as we receive your completed Application for Permanent Residence in Canada form and have reviewed your application. You will be responsible for the costs of the medical examination for all your family members. At the time of medical examination, you and all family members will be required to present individual passports as evidence of identity. If each of your family members does not already have an individual passport, you should apply to obtain them now. The permanent resident visa has the same validity period as the medical results, that is, 12 months from the date of the first examination or test.


Family Class Application – Manilla